PDA

View Full Version : If salaries were based on actual performances..

jimo2305
07-09-2013, 03:11 AM
Found this interesting post on reddit.

A look at win shares and salaries across the 2012 - 2013 season

http://imgur.com/a/zDdi1

and of course, for the spurs:

http://i.imgur.com/N2sepMWh.png

spursince#99
07-09-2013, 03:17 AM
Lol at Stephen Jackson and Manu. :lol

chapnis
07-09-2013, 03:46 AM
I saw here that Tony Parker is overpaid and immediately dismissed the entire chart.

jesterbobman
07-09-2013, 05:09 AM
It appears from a quick glance that those are salaries based on earned WS by the team, then saying that each player should get WS% * Total payout.

That it terrible economics.

Spursfanfromafar
07-09-2013, 05:15 AM
It appears from a quick glance that those are salaries based on earned WS by the team, then saying that each player should get WS% * Total payout.

That it terrible economics.

Exactly.

If anything it should be win shares relative to all players in league and against normalised wages based on that.

chapnis
07-09-2013, 05:35 AM
Pretty much saying that each team is world exactly the salary cap?

Russo21
07-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Manu fucken sucks

Dex
07-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Well for everyone bellyaching about Manu being re-signed, at least they can see here that they money he ended up getting suits his production.

cd021
07-09-2013, 08:52 AM
I'd love to see the Lakers adjusted salaries...

Gkm
07-09-2013, 09:09 AM
I'd love to see the Lakers adjusted salaries...

it is in the link he posted

Drom John
07-09-2013, 10:50 AM
These are similar to the numbers I've been running, which have been easy rank order of WS to rank order of salaries as a short hand for market value.
When you factor in that the Spurs earned more WS relative to the league average, then the Spurs earned values goes up.
Then Parker is worth his salary.
Splitter is a bargain at $9M.
Ginobili is still overpaid, and a 2 year $12M contract that Manu deserves might have left room for Kirilenko.
Bonner is kind of worth his salary if you consider the $1M buyout as sunk costs. Bonner's is worth the extra $3M compared to what you could expect in the market with that $3M.

Also, it looks like the Hawks dumped most of their red salaries. They look good bang for the buck, provided they don't overpay for Buck Ellis. Though Ellis was better than Josh Smith, still don't want him.

davidbowie
07-09-2013, 12:11 PM
"Found this interesting post on reddit."

couldnt leave this thread quicker

Duncanonu
07-09-2013, 12:18 PM
If salaries were based on performances................

Manu and Bonner would owe the Spurs money.

SpurSpurSpurs
07-09-2013, 12:27 PM
If salaries were based on performances................

Manu and Bonner would owe the Spurs money.

Bonner? Yes. Manu? No! I know he's shit and all last season, but overall I think it's pretty break even for him and the Spurs.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 12:27 PM
The Medium Three each vastly outplayed their contracts last seasons. Duncan and Parker did about what they were supposed to do as far as leading the team is concerned, but Ginobili was massively overpaid for the production he brought.

Seems about right to me.

jimo2305
07-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Exactly.

If anything it should be win shares relative to all players in league and against normalised wages based on that.

well there's a chart for that here (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2013_advanced.html). but these win shares are a combination of team points produced, points per posession, defensive posessions and minutes played among other things into a formula.. the person who put it together just based it off the 57 spurs wins this season. it's just an advanced stat really and it doesn't take into account who was injured/playing injured.. im sure the front office doesn't live / die by charts like these

jestersmash
07-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Manu and Stephen Jackson were grossly overpaid. Bonner was overpaid. Kawhi Leonard was underpaid. What else is new? I haven't learned anything that I already didn't know.

elmanutres
07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
:lol vagina payed more than leonard

chapnis
07-09-2013, 08:29 PM
:lol vagina payed more than leonard

rookie contract

Johnny RIngo
07-09-2013, 08:46 PM
According to this article Splitter was worth around 9.5 million last season which is what he got paid this summer. Maybe this will quiet all the people saying Tiago was overpaid. Big men will always be pricey no matter what.

This also says Ginobili's only worth around 4.5 million. I mentioned that the Spurs shouldn't offer him anything above 5 million...and yet they did. Manu's being disgustingly overpaid the last few years. Throw in his never-ending battle with injuries and that fact that his new contract cost us a shot at AK47 and it makes it even worse. Selfish player that doesn't know the meaning of sacrifice...unless you're talking about the Argentina national team(where he coincidentally seems to have his best performances)

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 08:48 PM
I saw here that Tony Parker is overpaid and immediately dismissed the entire chart.

Keepin' it real
07-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Ugh, spreadsheets ...

cjw
07-09-2013, 10:41 PM

Exactly. Chart shows who is relatively underpaid vs. others on the team (who cares), but is pretty useless in comparing players across the league.