PDA

View Full Version : Official Announcement on Chip Engelland, Shot Doctor

Solid D
07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/engelland_050718.html

July 18, 2005
Spurs Name Chip Engelland Assistant Coach

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/engelland_200x300.jpg
The San Antonio Spurs have announced that Chip Engelland has joined the team as an assistant coach. Per club policy terms of his contract were not announced.

“Chip is a great addition to our coaching staff,” said Spurs general manager RC Buford. “His expertise in the areas of shooting and player development coupled with his overall basketball knowledge will be a huge benefit to our team.”

Engelland joins the Spurs after spending two years on the Denver Nuggets staff as an assistant coach in charge of player development. The Los Angeles native is one of the most highly sought out shooting coaches in the country and has worked with numerous NBA players including Steve Kerr, Grant Hill and Larry Hughes. Engelland has also served as a shooting consultant for the Detroit Pistons during the 1999-00 season.

Engelland, who served as a ball boy for legendary coach John Wooden’s UCLA Bruins in 1975, began his basketball career as a standout at Pacific Palisades High School. He earned a scholarship to Duke University after leading the Los Angeles City League in scoring as a senior in 1979. Under the tutelage of head coaches Bill Foster and Mike Krzyzewski, Engelland scored over 1,000 points as the captain of the 1982-83 Blue Devils.

After spending nine years playing professionally in the Philippines, Canada and the CBA he began coaching basketball camps aimed at helping players of all ages improve their shooting. He founded In-Net Corporation in 1995 and became a highly sought after speaker, clinician and advisor before making his way to the NBA.

gospursgojas
07-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Sounds like a good addition, maybe he will help with the Spurs free throw shooting

SequSpur
07-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Wow. Awesome!

:lol

1Parker1
07-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Yay! I really hope he works with Tony! (and Duncan and Bruce on their FT's)

Spurologist
07-18-2005, 03:11 PM
TP + Consistent jumper = Unstoppable

Solid D
07-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Yay! I really hope he works with Tony! (and Duncan and Bruce on their FT's)
And now, Oberto.

gospursgojas
07-18-2005, 03:14 PM
TP + Consistent jumper = Unstoppable

True that ... without a doubt

GoSpurs21
07-18-2005, 04:44 PM
maybe he can get Barry's outside shot working again for next season.
if he can make TP's outside shot more accurate that would be extremely helpful

spur219
07-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Look for Bruce Bowen to improve tremendously on his shooting and look for the team to get better on their FT's.

SpursWoman
07-18-2005, 04:48 PM
:flipoff @ Karl

:lmao :devil

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Shot Doctor

Looks like I need a new role with this team :depressed

ducks
07-18-2005, 07:16 PM
dressing assist for cheerleaders ahf

grjr
07-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Alright! We got young Ben Stein on our staff!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-18-2005, 07:42 PM
dressing assist for cheerleaders ahf

Hmm, Silver Dancers wardrobe changer... I like it!

nacho estrada
07-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Chip's got his shit cut out for him with us. But I couldnt be happier! Hey you've got to start somewhere, right?! This is a dream come true as a long time Spurs fan. Almost all of the Spurs potenially great teams have been simply horrible from the line. Man, this is crucial!!!! He can help the team top to bottom. Welcome Chip!

Money316
07-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Chip's got his shit cut out for him with us.

Chipper ... "OK guys lets begin, 'the line is your friend'"

Duncanoypi
07-19-2005, 12:38 AM
nice find spurs!...Kerr is to player as to Engelland is to coach...

coachtf
07-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Chip is going to prove to be much more than just a "shot doctor" when all is said and done. He builds a special bond with alot of the players and guys seem to enjoy him as a person because he lives the game of b-ball. Another excellent addition to an already awesome organization and coaching staff.

orhe
07-19-2005, 07:39 AM
haha Chip did play in the Philippine Basketball Association :)

boutons
07-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Players typically don't mess with changing their shots during the season and training camp, so Dr. Shot probably won't mean any improvement oin Spurs shooting until the 06/07 season. I don't have the impression the Spurs will be working their butts off working on their shooting, or anything, during this post-Title Aug and Sep.

Duncanoypi
07-19-2005, 08:09 AM
haha Chip did play in the Philippine Basketball Association :)

Yup, he played in one of the tournament in Asia for Philippine team and came up as champion...Chip is truly a pure shooter in that time...

JUUOT
07-20-2005, 12:18 PM
the anoouncement was just official in FRance. the interesting part is :

In france Chip is presented as Parker personal coach for shooting and FT
the radio will try to contact Tony to get more info tomorrow. i ll let you know if they do it.

if Chip is really recruited mainly for Parker this is a good sign Spurs count on him for many years to come.

T Park
07-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Players typically don't mess with changing their shots during the season and training camp, so Dr. Shot probably won't mean any improvement oin Spurs shooting until the 06/07 season

You mean like when Tony Parker didn't change his form in 03 when Steve Smith helped him out???

Nahhhhh.

1Parker1
07-20-2005, 12:32 PM
You mean like when Tony Parker didn't change his form in 03 when Steve Smith helped him out???

Nahhhhh.

Curious...what was Tony's FG% in jumpshots and 3 pt shots that year?

ducks
07-20-2005, 12:37 PM
the radio will try to contact Tony to get more info tomorrow. i ll let you know if they do it.

if Chip is really recruited mainly for Parker this is a good sign Spurs count on him for many years to come.

thanks juuot

looks like spurs are sold on him!

picnroll
07-20-2005, 12:45 PM
the anoouncement was just official in FRance. the interesting part is :

Like everyone here has pointed out, give Parker a reliable outside shot, better yet outside shot and pull up mid-range J and only a fool would argue he's not an all-star. Parker was a main target for this hire because if Chip works his magic there's no question the Spurs are a dynasty.

JUUOT
07-20-2005, 01:36 PM
the only problem is:

when you rework on jumpshot it takes time to unfreeze, change and refreeze a shot technique. it could take a season and be really hard on TP confidence

however:

TP proved before how efficient he was to adapt faster than anybody. he is only 23 and intelligent enough to understand the good it could bring to him.

i hope they can get him to comment the move. if not this week i will try to have more details when he restart the TP-show in November.

If it works out TP could become the stone to build around in 4 or 5 years.

boutons
07-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Tony's overall FG% for 04/05 was 48.2%, higher than Manu's, and 23rd in NBA Top50. Obviously not a good indicator of his shooting since it's loaded with so many layups.

Anybody know a site where the they break FG% down by distance? 3G, 2G, and layups?

Tony's been a mediocre jumpshooter fo 4 years, I expect it won't change much next season.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Tony's been a mediocre jumpshooter fo 4 years, I expect it won't change much next season

If they just fix Tony's form, not necessarily to make it perfect but just consistent, then his jumpshooting percentage will definitely improve.

JUUOT
07-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Boutons and his natural optimism ahah

Solid D
07-20-2005, 03:46 PM
I think Engelland worked with Anthony Carter in Miami a few years ago and Carter shot worse that season. It doesn't work for everyone and JUUOT has a good point. Chip has helped Kerr and many others though, so it's worth a try.

boutons
07-20-2005, 04:13 PM
"his natural optimism"

putain, tu tire sur le messger.

The recent past (June) is the best predictor of the imminent future (Nov). Tony's running around with BWB this summer and who knows what else. He ain't working on his shooting as he announced he would do last summer (to NO effect).

I want as much as anybody that Tony shoot 45% for non-layups, and 85% FTs. But it won't happen for Nov, it won't happen within a season.

Tony just isn't co-ordinated enough to be good shooter without enormous and long effort, which does he have time for this off-season, so "no shooting improvement in his 5th year vs his previous 4 years".

If improving his shooting was more that just lip service for Tony, any improvement should have shown up within 4 years with the Spurs. If anything, he jumpers regressed last season. His FTs certainly did.

T Park
07-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Tony's running around with BWB this summer

Only you could rip that up.....

Horry For 3!
07-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Awesome! :)

boutons
07-20-2005, 06:08 PM
"Only you could rip that up.."

Only a quitter and liar like you could trash an statement of fact into a "rip up"

Tony can do whatever the fuck he wants with his summers, but people expecting him to be a much improved shooter between now and November will be disappointed.

ducks
07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Tony can do whatever the fuck he wants with his summers,

I am sure he will fuck
:lol

JUUOT
07-20-2005, 08:05 PM
boutons tu prends la mouche?

i was just teasing you. I said the same thing above. Even a personal coach will not fix instantly the problem. Tony will not improve his shooting drastically this next season. He might even struggle because changing hios mechanic with Chip (some wont even remark he is struggling since he was already last season)
Tony will need a complete season of mentoring under Chip to integrate and improve his shoot.

Tony will be as good next season and count on him to improve his decision making and keep defense at the level of the end of season, mybee even more assists and rebounds. but for better jump shot you will have to wait a little more.
which is fine because tim and gino are in their prime.
In 2007-2008 expect Tony to be an undisputed leader and all star