PDA

View Full Version : Dang, one of my guys almost got killed today...

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2013, 04:15 PM
We weld elevator jacks for a couple of the elevator companies in town since I have a code shop and certified welders...one of my guys was in the pit on a big new construction job welding a 12" jack...he had just finished a section and moved around when some numbskull on the 6th floor dropped a piece of 6" pipe down the shaft...it went straight through a piece of 3/4" plywood he had been kneeling on and stuck straight into the ground right where he had been 30 seconds earlier...on a job like that all openings are supposed to be barricaded and toe boards installed so nothing can roll in...don't know what the fuck happened yet. That could have been very very ugly.

Big Empty
07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
gah DAMN you came close to being sued. drinks on you!

boobie4three
07-09-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm an industrial construction electrician and even with all the safeguards employed on a construction site, there's always going to be some schmuck that's going to get careless. Glad to hear your man is OK.

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2013, 04:29 PM
gah DAMN you came close to being sued. drinks on you!

Well, that wasn't my first thought but I have to admit it was the third or fourth. It would have been very ugly.

boutons_deux
07-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Don't lose sight of the big picture, lives of American workers are cheap

Work-Related Deaths Kill 150 Americans Per Day

More than 100 people in the United States die every day as a result of their work, according to a new report from the AFL-CIO.

The union found that about 4,693 workers were killed on the job in 2011 (http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Political-Action-Legislation/Daily-Job-Death-Toll-150-Workers), and the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates 50,000 workers per year die from work-related diseases. Combine those numbers and you get about 150 work-related deaths per day, the AFL-CIO report found.

To put that number in comparative terms: Americans are 271 times more likely (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/24/workplace-accidents_n_3146175.html) to die from a workplace accident than from a terrorist attack, according to an op-ed last month from Mike Elk, a labor reporter for In These Times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/07/work-related-deaths_n_3231919.html

don't get all worked up just because once shit ALMOST happened "in your backyard", otherwise it's "I don't GAF because NIMBY"

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2013, 04:42 PM
GFY Boutox

boutons_deux
07-09-2013, 04:49 PM
CC, like any hard core conservative businessman/extremeist, surely hates OSHA, EPA, etc, etc.

TeyshaBlue
07-09-2013, 04:59 PM
boutons, like any vacant-minded moonbat/rssfellator, can only parrot what his blogs tell him to.

Trill Clinton
07-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Glad your guy is safe, but how is this relevant to the political forum?

TeyshaBlue
07-09-2013, 05:03 PM
boutons bait, tbh.

Sportcamper
07-09-2013, 05:14 PM

All of Cosmics stories are relevant…One day he will get them all to script and have his own TV Series…

Then we can say, “Hey I used to troll that guy”!

Wild Cobra
07-09-2013, 05:19 PM
CC, like any hard core conservative businessman/extremeist, surely hates OSHA, EPA, etc, etc.

No matter how safe you try to make a job site, it's impossible to make it completely safe.

I respect OSHA. They have some good policies. Problem is, too many people don't understand them, and then go farther than what's actually required. the EPA however... They became a total joke when they buckled under political pressure to make CO2 a pollutant.

Wild Cobra
07-09-2013, 05:23 PM
I do wonder though. Isn't that an OSHA violation to work with heavy objects above another? Most definitely larger than a hard hat protects from. Shouldn't either the above floors been tagged out, or the lower ones, depending on who started the work first?

AntiChrist
07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
boutons, like any vacant-minded moonbat/rssfellator, can only parrot what his blogs tell him to.

:lmao

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2013, 05:54 PM
I do wonder though. Isn't that an OSHA violation to work with heavy objects above another? Most definitely larger than a hard hat protects from. Shouldn't either the above floors been tagged out, or the lower ones, depending on who started the work first?

Oh please.

Common sense tells you not to let a piece of 6" pipe get away on the 6th floor of an elevator shaft. Somebody fucked up and broke a lot of rules.

Wild Cobra
07-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Oh please.

Common sense tells you not to let a piece of 6" pipe get away on the 6th floor of an elevator shaft. Somebody fucked up and broke a lot of rules.

Well, you don't do such things intentionally.

Am I to assume you have never dropped a tool or material you have worked with? Ever?

If that's the case, you're a far better man than I.

Accidents happen.

Why was your guy working under another project anyway?

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Because in this forum anything can be turned into a political argument :lol

I disagree with most of CC's politics but from what I can tell it seems like he cares about the people who work under him and his first thought was someone in his company getting killed, not the fact he would have gotten sued.

ElNono
07-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Because in this forum anything can be turned into a political argument :lol

I disagree with most of CC's politics but from what I can tell it seems like he cares about the people who work under him and his first thought was someone in his company getting killed, not the fact he would have gotten sued.

benevolent slavemaster, tbh... :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-09-2013, 06:57 PM
benevolent slavemaster, tbh... :lol

I'm in Manhattan, btw. I don't think I'm ever leaving.

AntiChrist
07-09-2013, 07:18 PM

Have fun paying your fair share of taxes.

ElNono
07-09-2013, 08:04 PM

If I wasn't swamped with work, I would buy you a beer... enjoy, tbh... the humid heat sucks.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-09-2013, 08:06 PM
If I wasn't swamped with work, I would buy you a beer... enjoy, tbh... the humid heat sucks.

I've had to wear a suit the last two days for speakers and I've never sweat more in my life than I did on the subway to/from work :lol

ElNono
07-09-2013, 08:09 PM
I've had to wear a suit the last two days for speakers and I've never sweat more in my life than I did on the subway to/from work :lol

And they have ACs on those bitches, but you wouldn't know... what part of town are you at? Anywhere near Penn Station?

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-09-2013, 08:16 PM
And they have ACs on those bitches, but you wouldn't know... what part of town are you at? Anywhere near Penn Station?
Murray Hill area so not too far from there.

Do you live in Manhattan or Jersey? Can't remember tbh.

ElNono
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM

I'm in the Jersey shore... about an hour from the city, 10 mins from Sandy Hook...

FromWayDowntown
07-09-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm in the Jersey shore... about an hour from the city, 10 mins from Sandy Hook...

10 mins from Sandy Hook? I've spent a lot of time out on the shore in Monmouth County -- out of curiosity, where exactly are you?

ElNono
07-09-2013, 09:16 PM
10 mins from Sandy Hook? I've spent a lot of time out on the shore in Monmouth County -- out of curiosity, where exactly are you?

I'm indeed in Monmouth County... I'll PM you with specifics...

Capt Bringdown
07-09-2013, 11:24 PM

"My guy," as if he's a piece of property.

Creepn
07-09-2013, 11:26 PM

What happened to the white paradise you was going to move into in Dallas?

lefty
07-10-2013, 02:21 AM
the numbskull he was referring to must be Muslim

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2013, 02:32 AM
oi cowboy

i got a friend that also does what u do, but he gets plenty of jobs in australia and south east asia...installing lifts, checking maintenance and shit....

Eli Sunday
07-10-2013, 03:20 AM
We weld elevator jacks for a couple of the elevator companies in town since I have a code shop and certified welders...one of my guys was in the pit on a big new construction job welding a 12" jack...he had just finished a section and moved around when some numbskull on the 6th floor dropped a piece of 6" pipe down the shaft...it went straight through a piece of 3/4" plywood he had been kneeling on and stuck straight into the ground right where he had been 30 seconds earlier...on a job like that all openings are supposed to be barricaded and toe boards installed so nothing can roll in...don't know what the fuck happened yet. That could have been very very ugly.

This never would have happened if you had let me bless the elevator shaft.

RandomGuy
07-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Don't lose sight of the big picture, lives of American workers are cheap

Work-Related Deaths Kill 150 Americans Per Day

More than 100 people in the United States die every day as a result of their work, according to a new report from the AFL-CIO.

The union found that about 4,693 workers were killed on the job in 2011 (http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Political-Action-Legislation/Daily-Job-Death-Toll-150-Workers), and the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates 50,000 workers per year die from work-related diseases. Combine those numbers and you get about 150 work-related deaths per day, the AFL-CIO report found.

To put that number in comparative terms: Americans are 271 times more likely (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/24/workplace-accidents_n_3146175.html) to die from a workplace accident than from a terrorist attack, according to an op-ed last month from Mike Elk, a labor reporter for In These Times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/07/work-related-deaths_n_3231919.html

don't get all worked up just because once shit ALMOST happened "in your backyard", otherwise it's "I don't GAF because NIMBY"

LOL... that was predictable.

RandomGuy
07-10-2013, 09:39 AM
GFY Boutox

... as was the response.

Ka
bu
ki

RandomGuy
07-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Seriously though, glad to hear no one got hurt.

six floors is a lot of kinetic energy. Without knowing mass, we can still get to the speed, 47MPH or so, by my calculations. More than enough to be fatal to anyone not wearing a helmet.

You might find this interesting:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-06/carbon-fiber-cables-could-lift-kilometer-high-elevators

They would not be using the kind of hydraulics your crew was working on, of course.

I. Hustle
07-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Seriously though, glad to hear no one got hurt.

six floors is a lot of kinetic energy. Without knowing mass, we can still get to the speed, 47MPH or so, by my calculations. More than enough to be fatal to anyone not wearing a helmet.

You might find this interesting:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-06/carbon-fiber-cables-could-lift-kilometer-high-elevators

They would not be using the kind of hydraulics your crew was working on, of course.

Did you factor in that the projectile was cylindrical? What was the approximate length and weight?
Was the air conditioning unit on and if so how much air was circulating through the elevator shaft?

I'm going to have to question your calculations. What type of chart did you use? Can you give me your exact formula? By my calculations, without said information, I am around 51.3425 mph.

RandomGuy
07-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Did you factor in that the projectile was cylindrical? What was the approximate length and weight?
Was the air conditioning unit on and if so how much air was circulating through the elevator shaft?

I'm going to have to question your calculations. What type of chart did you use? Can you give me your exact formula? By my calculations, without said information, I am around 51.3425 mph.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=261244

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a * ChangePosition

vi=0

change = 72 feet

a = 33 f/s/s

33*2*72= 4752

square root of 4752 = 68.93475176 feet/sec as final velocity or vf

68.934... * 60 seconds * 60 minutes converts to 248165.1063 feet per hour divided by 5280 to get 47.00096711

I did not factor in air resitance or shape of the object.

RandomGuy
07-10-2013, 10:36 AM
:flipoff

:lol

I. Hustle
07-10-2013, 10:52 AM
:flipoff

:lol

;)

TeyshaBlue
07-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Nerd fight!

RandomGuy
07-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Nerd fight!

Lucky for me I hadn't closed the spreadsheet yet...

Yes, a spreadsheet was involved. I am that kind of nerd.

boutons_deux
11-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Injured Worker's Firing Sparks Protest

protesters converged Saturday on a high-rise apartment project in Austin where they say an injured worker got fired after reporting the accident to federal authorities.

Texas is the only state (http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2013/feb/14/sacramento-bee-editorial-board/sacramento-bee-editorial-says-texas-last-workers-c/) in the nation that does not make it mandatory for employers of a certain size to carry worker’s compensation insurance or the equivalent. In many cases injured workers end up on government assistance.

“It’s a huge cost to our taxpayers,” said Timm of the Worker’s Defense Project. “It’s a huge cost to our public hospitals who end up picking up those costs when workers are dropped off at the emergency room.”

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/11/23/injured-workers-firing-sparks-protest/?utm_source=texastribune.org&utm_medium=alerts&utm_campaign=News%20Alert:%20Subscriptions

Wild Cobra
11-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Injured Worker's Firing Sparks Protest

protesters converged Saturday on a high-rise apartment project in Austin where they say an injured worker got fired after reporting the accident to federal authorities.

Texas is the only state (http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2013/feb/14/sacramento-bee-editorial-board/sacramento-bee-editorial-says-texas-last-workers-c/) in the nation that does not make it mandatory for employers of a certain size to carry worker’s compensation insurance or the equivalent. In many cases injured workers end up on government assistance.

“It’s a huge cost to our taxpayers,” said Timm of the Worker’s Defense Project. “It’s a huge cost to our public hospitals who end up picking up those costs when workers are dropped off at the emergency room.”

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/11/23/injured-workers-firing-sparks-protest/?utm_source=texastribune.org&utm_medium=alerts&utm_campaign=News%20Alert:%20Subscriptions

What was the safety violation?

It appears the safety violation was the fired worker being under a moving load...

Wild Cobra
11-24-2013, 02:06 PM
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=261244

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a * ChangePosition

vi=0

change = 72 feet

a = 33 f/s/s

33*2*72= 4752

square root of 4752 = 68.93475176 feet/sec as final velocity or vf

68.934... * 60 seconds * 60 minutes converts to 248165.1063 feet per hour divided by 5280 to get 47.00096711

I did not factor in air resitance or shape of the object.
I just noticed this.

Your memory or my memory is faulty...

I recall it being 32 ft/s/s/...

RandomGuy
11-25-2013, 12:48 PM
I just noticed this.

32 and a fraction.

i rounded up.

rerun all the calculations and you end up with 46.409 or so.

mea culpa.

RandomGuy
11-25-2013, 12:48 PM
I just noticed this.

32 and a fraction.

i rounded up.

rerun all the calculations and you end up with 46.409 or so.

mea culpa.

boutons_deux
11-25-2013, 12:56 PM
What was the safety violation?

It appears the safety violation was the fired worker being under a moving load...

of course,it's always the individual's fault, NEVER the organization's fault.

If there were a true, serious culture of safety (the responsibility of the employer), the operator should have moved nothing until nobody was under or near the load's path.

Wild Cobra
11-25-2013, 01:11 PM
of course,it's always the individual's fault, NEVER the organization's fault.

If there were a true, serious culture of safety (the responsibility of the employer), the operator should have moved nothing until nobody was under or near the load's path.
LOL...

If it's already in route, and someone walks where they shouldn't be...

I am only pointing out a possibility anyway. I notice that the article didn't give any important details. Such things are important to make a proper conclusion,. but then... I guess you don't care about proper conclusion.

Accidents happen, and OSHA regulations are in place to minimize the possibility of someone getting hurt. The employer would be 100% in his right to fire an employee who was injured by a violation he created.

I would be...

Wild Cobra
11-25-2013, 01:12 PM
mea culpa.

Yep...

That was not proper rounding!