PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili in starting line up?

coachmac87
07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Just trying to make sense of what's going on in FO heads...especially with the news of Neal resigning..

The only thing I can think of that somewhat makes sense is starting Manu. And possibly trading Green?? I dunno just interesting things going on.

What if we ended up getting AK because of it? Would you do it?

Parker,Joesph,Mills
Manu,Beli, Neal
Kawhi,AK,
Duncan,Diaw,Bonner
Splitter,Pendegraph,Baynes

And in all honestly I would really like to see Kawhi play some 2. He can use his size on offense and having AK,Duncan,Splitter does wonders on defense..

Just speculating

spurraider21
07-09-2013, 06:43 PM
i love how you assume we are landing Kirilenko. i'm still prayingdog.gif'ing every night

coachmac87
07-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Doesn't have to be him...but we need a 3. And he's the best available. IMO spurs don't trade Green without getting a player like that in return

dbestpro
07-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Just trying to make sense of what's going on in FO heads...especially with the news of Neal resigning..

The only thing I can think of that somewhat makes sense is starting Manu. And possibly trading Green??

If you trade Green you will trade our new backup SF.

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 06:56 PM

That's such a horrible idea its funny and probably the plan.

coachmac87
07-09-2013, 06:59 PM

That's an option and probably more realistic. But I think we're a better team with what I posted

playblair
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
rotation should be .....................

parker/cojo
green/scott
kawhi/beli
duncan/blair/pendy
splitter/baynes/richards/pittman

I need 5
07-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Ginobli should be in the starting lineup because it allows him to be in the flow of the game from the start. In his younger days he could come off of the bench and dominate but it takes him a while to get loose and in the flow now. Also he shouldn't play many minutes at the 3 because it tires him out when larger small forwards post him up on defense. Him and Tony play well together.

coachmac87
07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Ginobli should be in the starting lineup because it allows him to be in the flow of the game from the start. In his younger days he could come off of the bench and dominate but it takes him a while to get loose and in the flow now. Also he shouldn't play many minutes at the 3 because it tires him out when larger small forwards post him up on defense. Him and Tony play well together.

The best thing I like bout him starting is he will play off the ball more. Which can hopefully get his shot back. Spurs can't continue to rely on Manu handling the ball as often as he did ..which leads to turnovers/injury

Chinook
07-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Had the Spurs gone all out on acquiring another scoring guard, then Ginobili at the two would make sense. Green's a better fit next to Parker than Ginobili is nowadays, but it'd probably help Manu out tremendously to have most of load taken from him. Green as the backup three would have worked out all right for the team, but it would have weakened a great asset.

I'd have supported a lineup like this if you had asked be after Game 5.

Parker/Joseph
Ginobili/Evans
Leonard/Green
Duncan/Diaw
Splitter/Baynes

But I don't support it now.

Richard Simmons
07-09-2013, 07:30 PM
heard griz are landing him we need repalcement for rudyGAY

spurraider21
07-09-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't see any way they are pushing Danny Green to the bench. He and Kawhi complement each other so much on the wings its not even funny. While Kawhi has a solid 3 point shot, Green's quick, high, aggressive release makes him the guy the defense is most worried about. His shooting and off ball movement is starting to become somewhat Ray Allen like, although he can't put the ball on the floor like Ray could. Also defensively, having both Kawhi and Green out there works wonders.

Diego20
07-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Yes, he should play instead of Green.. both Tony and Timmy will play better with him

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Yes, he should play instead of Green.. both Tony and Timmy will play better with him

Who's running the 2nd unit?

Proxy
07-09-2013, 08:45 PM
If you could AK-47 in return, then it's a no brainer

starting Manu... I'd go with that. It'd be easier for him to get an early confidence every game playing with TP, TD, Kawhi, and Tiago. He can still play the same amount of minutes, and you'd have DG and Marco providing the spark off the bench instead.

therealtruth
07-10-2013, 12:50 AM
The best thing I like bout him starting is he will play off the ball more. Which can hopefully get his shot back. Spurs can't continue to rely on Manu handling the ball as often as he did ..which leads to turnovers/injury

They definitely need to pair him up with a legit playmaker. I liked what I saw out of the brief period of time he and TJ Ford were together.

CitizenDwayne
07-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Interestingly, when the Spurs started staring Gino in the Finals, he had probably his best game of this playoffs (Game 5), followed immediately by one of his worst games ever (Game 6). He was literally the reason we won one, and the reason we lost another. I'm not really convinced that Manu will be that much more effective starting, given how inconsistent he is in general as of late.

racm
07-10-2013, 01:55 AM
I don't see any way they are pushing Danny Green to the bench. He and Kawhi complement each other so much on the wings its not even funny. While Kawhi has a solid 3 point shot, Green's quick, high, aggressive release makes him the guy the defense is most worried about. His shooting and off ball movement is starting to become somewhat Ray Allen like, although he can't put the ball on the floor like Ray could. Also defensively, having both Kawhi and Green out there works wonders.
He reminds me of Kyle Korver but with the ability to shut down most PGs.

Boomersgold
07-10-2013, 02:36 AM
Honestly, I don't think I want Ginobili playing with Parker. For Ginobili to be effective, he needs the ball in his hands, which means that Parker won't be getting the ball as much when he's on with Manu. Green's role of a spot up shooter would better mesh with Parker's role as the ball-handler and play maker.

ezau
07-10-2013, 03:49 AM
Gino is done as fuck. He's too injury-prone and old to be depended on in big games these days. Our starting five is fine, what we need is a solid creator who will allow Manu to play off the ball.

racm
07-10-2013, 03:52 AM
Gino is done as fuck. He's too injury-prone and old to be depended on in big games these days. Our starting five is fine, what we need is a solid creator who will allow Manu to play off the ball.

Tony and Timmy for LeBron. Do it RC.

Baam
07-10-2013, 04:11 AM
That's the elephant in the room and why trading Green is indeed a valid option... We only have one high level playmaker. I started a thread about that a while ago.

How many years in a row is Pop gonna insert Manu in the starting lineup at the last minute?

therealtruth
07-10-2013, 04:41 AM
Honestly, I don't think I want Ginobili playing with Parker. For Ginobili to be effective, he needs the ball in his hands, which means that Parker won't be getting the ball as much when he's on with Manu. Green's role of a spot up shooter would better mesh with Parker's role as the ball-handler and play maker.

I think we have to stop doing that. Relying too much on TP. It doesn't work come playoff time when the put Lebron on TP. The shooters can't get open shots and Parker can't beat his man in isolation. It's a big mess. We need to be able to attack from the wings with Kawhi/DG.

Bruno
07-10-2013, 05:23 AM
Starting a player who is getting older and, by consequences, whose minutes must be even more limited, isn't a good idea.

Kirilenko would have played a lot of PF with Spurs.

wildchild
07-10-2013, 09:18 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNBE2vzCcAAoAmY.jpg:large

Or not... :(

Captivus
07-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I agree that Manu will probably be better starting.
I would put Tiago in the second unit and move Baynes as a starter.
I think TD + Baynes and TS + Diaw is good enough. I dont like when the second unit depensa on 1 player, and that is what happens when Manu plays.

TMTTRIO
07-10-2013, 11:03 AM
at this point I hope Manu's minutes are very limited so it may not matter if he comes off the bench or not. He can play more of a player coach to the younger guys.

dallasmaverickslose
07-10-2013, 11:13 AM
My sources me we're starting Manu at Center this season. Stay tuned!

ducks
07-10-2013, 11:15 AM
manu needs to play enough to know his new teammates where they want the ball and not turn the ball over
if he is done before playoffs spurs might even be better off

rjv
07-10-2013, 11:26 AM
manu last year, for the first time ever, seemed mentally fragile...the doubt was visible in his body language, in his skeptical comments. he never needed to be coddled before but he may be at the point in his careerwhere he has to start, just so he can get some mojo back (if that is possible).

therealtruth
07-10-2013, 05:07 PM
manu last year, for the first time ever, seemed mentally fragile...the doubt was visible in his body language, in his skeptical comments. he never needed to be coddled before but he may be at the point in his careerwhere he has to start, just so he can get some mojo back (if that is possible).

The problem was Manu's pass first attitude. He's more valuable to the team when he's aggressive. Also the Heat were only playing him for the pass. There's no reason for him to be getting the ball and not even looking at the basket.

TheGoldStandard
07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
The problem was Manu's pass first attitude. He's more valuable to the team when he's aggressive. Also the Heat were only playing him for the pass. There's no reason for him to be getting the ball and not even looking at the basket.

I think he lost confidence in his shot, it showed with his willingness to let others get the ball and his frequent shitty passes.

therealtruth
07-10-2013, 07:47 PM
I think he lost confidence in his shot, it showed with his willingness to let others get the ball and his frequent shitty passes.

It's a huge difference from the old Manu who would put his head down and just will his way to the basket. We could have used that Manu.

TheGoldStandard
07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
It's a huge difference from the old Manu who would put his head down and just will his way to the basket. We could have used that Manu.

Dude doesn't do that anymore really.. Most of his stuff is pull up 3's

sventhedog
07-10-2013, 08:26 PM
good idea. if he gets 5 TO's in the 1st quarter, bench him for the rest of the season.

Josepatches_
07-11-2013, 07:48 AM

Agree.
But not only pass first attitude. The problem is the "highlight pass" attitude . He never tries an easy pass. Sure it's amazing when it works but it ends with a turnover most of the time.

Zzakk's Garage
07-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Manu is a 2 guard, period.
But all last season (and in many recent seasons) our mixtape of pgs behind Tony failed to truly lead and distribute effectively so Manu was defacto the main distributor and never got to play HIS game.
Until young Mr Joseph stepped up at the very end, of course.

Anyone remember TJ Ford's play before he got re-injured and retired?
HE was the 2nd unit's version of TP that we were looking for, and I really miss him.
Damn, he was great for us! Such a shame...

IF Cory can keep progressing, Manu starting is smart if it gets him comfy and back to his miraculous upside more often than not. Green's presence will steady the subs and keep the scoring on pace--he can handle it now. Although if Marco gets up to speed as another quality shooting guard option it looks like Danny might be Kawhi's 1st sub, which is cool cuz he's got much of the same skill set and intensity on both sides of the court.

Start Manu.