PDA

View Full Version : The Case for trading Danny Green.

MannyIsGod
07-09-2013, 06:49 PM
First, I love Danny Green. I wish more players could embody the hard work that he's put in and could grow the way he has. I'm not making this trade because I dislike Green in the least.

That being said, I am starting to come around to the idea that trading DG would actually be in the Spurs best interest. Why?

Perception of value

His value has never been higher and its tough to see it ever being higher than it is now. Coming off a finals were he sets the 3 point record and plays some pretty good defense I cannot see DG ever surpassing the value he's at now. Even if he plays extremely well in the coming season its not the same as doing what he did on the biggest stage in the NBA.

Ceiling

Danny Green has likely hit his ceiling. He can't improve much on his shot at this point and you pretty much never see players become good finishers at this point in DG's career. He'll be a very good 3 point shooter who gives you solid defense but he's never going to be someone who creates or is the focal point of an offense.

Manu

Manu probably needs to start at this point in his career. I don't believe that he's capable of being a player who makes the 2nd unit better the way he used to in the past. In order for Manu to be fully effective I think he's going to have to take DG's spot in the starting lineup and feed off of being surrounded by players who are just as good. This is probably the biggest factor for me, honestly.

Too many guards not enough small forwards

The Spurs have a serious log jam at the 2 right now. Should they sign Neal as we've heard reports of today then that only gets larger. Something has got to give and while trading DeColo and/or Mills would help with this neither is going to bring back much of anything outside of slight salary relief.

Danny Green has a small contract for his production and I think by pairing him in a trade with Bonner and/or Diaw the Spurs can actually probably entice a team out there to get an asset or two that actually help the team.

spurraider21
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Did not read.

and the answer is No.

Em-City
07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
manu shouldn't be starting, he should be retiring.

playblair
07-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Durand Scott = acc defensive player of the year ................... scott will make green expendable ......................

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Danny Green is successful because of the system, he can hit shots but it's his role that he's been wide open to hit those shots. Spurs need to package guys that don't have a role as a Spur, named De Colo/Mills/Bonner

BatManu20
07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
DG isn't going anywhere.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
and the answer is No.

In the immortal words of Sean Elliott: "I told you 'no.' Please, take that back. That's not good enough. ... please. You're working hard, but the answer is 'no.'"

HemisfairArena
07-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Shooting guards come a dime a dozen in the NBA. Its the easiest position to replace. Its the same reason PG/SG hybrids are flourishing.

yavozerb
07-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Durand Scott = acc defensive player of the year ................... scott will make green expendable ......................

:lmao, please stop...

Nathan89
07-09-2013, 07:02 PM

You want to trade the starting sg for a backup sf?

What position do people want to trade Green for? If you want you can mention some players you have in mind.

monkeypunk
07-09-2013, 07:03 PM
With the glut of guards, this is an option that you have to at least look into. Who knows what some dumbass team might offer up?

I'd like to see a little He Who Dares, Wins out of the FO. You have to give up good to get good back. True in everyday life too...

Chinook
07-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Shooting guards come a dime a dozen in the NBA. Its the easiest position to replace. Its the same reason PG/SG hybrids are flourishing.

The shooting-guard position is actually extraordinarily thin nowadays, which is why teams are trying to trot out combo-guards at the two spot. Legitimate two-guards like Green are pretty rare nowadays.

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 07:04 PM
The shooting-guard position is actually extraordinarily thin nowadays, which is why teams are trying to trot out combo-guards at the two spot. Legitimate two-guards like Green are pretty rare nowadays.

Exactly, especially with size and stroke.

dallasmaverickslose
07-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Wish we could grow one of our guards a couple inches and add a couple pounds to them.

And make them Kawhi's back-up.

SanDiegoSpursFan
07-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Trading away an underpaid 26 year old whose career TS% is .587% is probably a bad idea.

HemisfairArena
07-09-2013, 07:08 PM
I actually would have liked to see us make a play for Paul Pierce believe it or not. Let him play two years with Manu and Duncan and all retire at the same time. All that money coming off the books and Pierce would have been huge for a try at a 5th ring for Duncan. A line up of Parker/Pierce/Leonard/Duncan/Splitter....I'll take it. Pierce averaged 19/6/5 last year at the age of 35.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 07:12 PM
I actually would have liked to see us make a play for Paul Pierce believe it or not. Let him play two years with Manu and Duncan and all retire at the same time. All that money coming off the books and Pierce would have been huge for a try at a 5th ring for Duncan. A line up of Parker/Pierce/Leonard/Duncan/Splitter....I'll take it. Pierce averaged 19/6/5 last year at the age of 35.

That would have been a step down from the current starting lineup, in my opinion. Pierce is not a two-guard, and neither is Leonard. Paul off the bench with Ginobili would have been something, though.

coyotes_geek
07-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Trading away an underpaid 26 year old whose career TS% is .587% is probably a bad idea.

Depends what you get back.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 07:13 PM

The same can be said of trading any player.

HemisfairArena
07-09-2013, 07:16 PM
That would have been a step down from the current starting lineup, in my opinion. Pierce is not a two-guard, and neither is Leonard. Paul off the bench with Ginobili would have been something, though.

Thats kinda the point. We dont need a two-guard. And Green was our weakest link on the starting line-up all year. Yes he had a great 3 games in the Finals but the rest of the year he was sub par. 10 points/gm from your starting SG is replacable.

ThaBigFundamental21
07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
First, I love Danny Green. I wish more players could embody the hard work that he's put in and could grow the way he has. I'm not making this trade because I dislike Green in the least.

That being said, I am starting to come around to the idea that trading DG would actually be in the Spurs best interest. Why?

Perception of value

His value has never been higher and its tough to see it ever being higher than it is now. Coming off a finals were he sets the 3 point record and plays some pretty good defense I cannot see DG ever surpassing the value he's at now. Even if he plays extremely well in the coming season its not the same as doing what he did on the biggest stage in the NBA.

Ceiling

Danny Green has likely hit his ceiling. He can't improve much on his shot at this point and you pretty much never see players become good finishers at this point in DG's career. He'll be a very good 3 point shooter who gives you solid defense but he's never going to be someone who creates or is the focal point of an offense.

Manu

Manu probably needs to start at this point in his career. I don't believe that he's capable of being a player who makes the 2nd unit better the way he used to in the past. In order for Manu to be fully effective I think he's going to have to take DG's spot in the starting lineup and feed off of being surrounded by players who are just as good. This is probably the biggest factor for me, honestly.

The Spurs have a serious log jam at the 2 right now. Should they sign Neal as we've heard reports of today then that only gets larger. Something has got to give and while trading DeColo and/or Mills would help with this neither is going to bring back much of anything outside of slight salary relief.

Danny Green has a small contract for his production and I think by pairing him in a trade with Bonner and/or Diaw the Spurs can actually probably entice a team out there to get an asset or two that actually help the team.

I really don't think trading Danny Green is an awful idea for a lot of the reasons you pointed out. Danny Green is okay on D, and a good 3 point shooter. That being said he is obviously extremely one dimensional, he can't even finish at the rim, he can't dribble, he can't create his own shot. Yet as you said, after the Finals his value is high, and he has a small contract. He would be very good to package with someone we don't want, to take in someone we need. That being said, I don't think we should entertain a trade, unless we are getting either or starter, or an obvious future starter.

Sean Cagney
07-09-2013, 07:22 PM
DG isn't going anywhere.
End of thread.......

mingus
07-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Not enough creators off the bench. As much as Manu has declined, where would the offense in the second unit come from?

Robz4000
07-09-2013, 07:23 PM
You're not going to get equal value for Green tbh, even with packaging him alongside Bonner. Also, Green hasn't hit his ceiling yet; he has a couple things he can add to his game to make him a legitimate Top 5 SG in the league (a counter for defense's running him off the 3-pt line, improvement on his team D, improvement on his passing) and I'm still not convinced he can't become a better finisher.

Vic Petro
07-09-2013, 07:24 PM
It's a 2 year window and you are talking about trading away a core member of the team. A guy whose first taste of the playoffs was horrible, so he improved himself leaps and bounds for his 2nd go round. I expect Danny to improve again and be an important playoff weapon for the team again, and with his added experience a guy who will also come up money in games 6 and 7 instead of just 1-5.

Snaq O'Meal
07-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Thats kinda the point. We dont need a two-guard. And Green was our weakest link on the starting line-up all year. Yes he had a great 3 games in the Finals but the rest of the year he was sub par. 10 points/gm from your starting SG is replacable.

Green's value goes beyond his scoring. For the amount of money that the Spurs are paying him, he can defend better than anyone else not named Kawhi Leonard (and even that is debatable). And he has developed a pretty reliable stroke too. With Green and Leonard, the Spurs are set at the wing positions.

SpurPadre
07-09-2013, 07:25 PM

Man, people insist on us adding old farts to an already old team. Pierce just isn't a fit for this team now and he will not be willing to serve a bench role.

Richard Simmons
07-09-2013, 07:26 PM
danny green put his head through the roof in the finals. gravity's just going to pull him back down this season, all i see is regression

Atl Spur
07-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Bonner+mills+green for Demarr derozan maybe?

Captivus
07-09-2013, 07:31 PM
DG has 2 more season in his contract at around $4M. Thats just great.
I say NO on the trading, his value is high, and not only for others, for the Spurs also.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 07:32 PM

First off, Green had five great games in the Finals, preceded by four good games in the WCF and five good-to-great games in the WCSF. All that was preceded by him averaging 14/4/2/2/1 per 36 throughout the season and leading the team in 3PM. He also blew up in the playoffs with an offensive rating of 117.

Yes, the team needs to two-guard in Green's role. That's why the team spent years trying to find one. Replace him with Pierce, and the team may have lost to Golden State in six. By no means was Green a weak link in the playoffs.

Atl Spur
07-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Toronto will be tanking; they buy out bonner for 2million..... We then resign him.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2013, 07:34 PM
As always, it depends on what you can get back. Right now the only non-tradeable Spurs are Parker, Leonard, and Duncan.

I wouldn't deal Green for any run of the mill backup 3.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Bonner+mills+green for Demarr derozan maybe?

Not unless the Spurs staff thinks it could really work with him to fix his flaws. Danny's better than Demarr right now, but DeRozan has a lot more upside.

Atl Spur
07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Demarr just has a broken shot....... Chip can fix that! He also has superstar potential; Danny never will be ever suited to help Kawhi carry this team nor any other wing on the roster.

dylankerouac
07-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Do not agree with trading, especially when Green has shown and put work into improving his game throughout the season and in the offseason. I would not trade, he and Kawhi make a great tandem too and can only improve their chemistry.

DesignatedT
07-09-2013, 07:44 PM
I love Green. He's a great shooter and a good defender. I think he can still improve but realistically this might be the best he gets. If the Spurs traded George Hill, I'm sure they are willing to trade Green if the offer is right. I wouldn't necessarily object to the move but It's not like I want him to go.

benefactor
07-09-2013, 07:44 PM
I can see the merit behind what you are trying to do, but I can't really see a trade that helps the Spurs this year. Wilson Chandler maybe? He's the type of 3-4 player the Spurs could use in the playoffs.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Demarr just has a broken shot....... Chip can fix that! He also has superstar potential; Danny never will be ever suited to help Kawhi carry this team nor any other wing on the roster.

It's not just the Green's shot that DeRozan lacks. He lacks the glue-guy mentality that makes Green so important to the club. No way DeRozan stops Lebron a half-dozen times on the break in one series, not with the chucker-sieve approach he takes to the game. Sure, the talent is there, but he needs to undergo a pretty big change to give the Spurs what Green gave them last season.

DJR210
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM

This is why everyone hates the grey names.

Libri
07-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Any small forwards you have in mind? I'm looking through this list:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/sf

crc21209
07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
I stopped reading after I saw Manu and starting in the same sentence...:lol

Atl Spur
07-09-2013, 08:04 PM
It's not just the Green's shot that DeRozan lacks. He lacks the glue-guy mentality that makes Green so important to the club. No way DeRozan stops Lebron a half-dozen times on the break in one series, not with the chucker-sieve approach he takes to the game. Sure, the talent is there, but he needs to undergo a pretty big change to give the Spurs what Green gave them last season.

Danny went through the same thing with the spurs remember? Cut twice.... Catch Derozan now before he ends up JR Smith; you might just get a star! When Timmy leaves glue won't be enough IMHO.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Danny went through the same thing with the spurs remember? Cut twice.... Catch Derozan now before he ends up JR Smith; you might just get a star! When Timmy leaves glue won't be enough IMHO.

Nah, Green was always a glue guy. He stuffed the stat sheet at UNC. He works best as a cog in the machine who can make his team better by doing the little things. He just had to learn to focus. DeRozan is a chucker who needs to learn not to chuck. He has the tools to be more than that, but the chucker-sieve mentality rarely leaves. It'd be a gamble for the team to try to put in him Green's role. They'd have to be sold on him in a way that I don't think they can be.

Atl Spur
07-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Hence get him now so he can develop a winning/team mentality; we tried to get JR before he went full 'Tard!!!!

Rogue
07-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Green is a scrub made to look decent by Pop and I've never rated him at all, but I bet there will be more spurs fans missing him that those missing the OP if both guys are gone. Green ain't as good as Beli and he'll probably lose the starting spot to Beli next season but he will still be able to provide some depth at SF imho, which's needed by the Spurs with SJ gone.

MannyIsGod
07-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Green is a scrub made to look decent by Pop and I've never rated him at all, but I bet there will be more spurs fans missing him that those missing the OP if both guys are gone. Green ain't as good as Beli and he'll probably lose the starting spot to Beli next season but he will still be able to provide some depth at SF imho, which's needed by the Spurs with SJ gone.

Sick burn, TBH. I'll see myself out.

sananspursfan21
07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
DG has 2 more season in his contract at around $4M. Thats just great.
I say NO on the trading, his value is high, and not only for others, for the Spurs also.

agree. it's not like he's costing a lot of money. spurs might be wise to milk him for everything while he's still around $2 million a year. his contract doesn't balance his worth by a long shot. by how he had been playing, he's a $6-7M talent for $2M. show me a good trade and i could be persuaded

Proxy
07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
He's a good defender, but overrated on ST imo. Can't dribble, pull up, or finish at the rim... he's basically a for sure miss on the fast break if a defender is anywhere in the vicinity. If FO wants to trade him, do it now while his finals performance is fresh in their minds because he's hit his ceiling.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 08:23 PM

:lol Green's not losing his spot to Belinelli unless he implodes. If Neal comes back, Marco may spend most of the year in a suit.

KL2
07-09-2013, 08:25 PM
People forget just how great of a defender Green is against PG's, trade him and the PG's of the west will fucking rape SA. Green was the guy shutting down Jack/Curry, the guy giving CP3 hell, I think he may have even guarded Westbrook last year.

Trading Green would be a huge mistake, if it wasn't for Green SA would've lost the GS series, as soon as Pop put Green on Curry he immediately shut him down, holding him to something like 2-19. Leonard is great at guarding big SF's and SG's, however he doesn't really have the speed to guard PG's and combo guards.

Captivus
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM
agree. it's not like he's costing a lot of money. spurs might be wise to milk him for everything while he's still around $2 million a year. his contract doesn't balance his worth by a long shot. by how he had been playing, he's a $6-7M talent for $2M. show me a good trade and i could be persuaded

Is $4M per year.

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 08:28 PM
:lol Green's not losing his spot to Belinelli unless he implodes. If Neal comes back, Marco may spend most of the year in a suit.

That would be sad for Marco.

50 cent
07-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Sick burn, TBH. I'll see myself out.
This has nothing to do with this post at all, but I still remember about 10 years ago when we used to argue about Baron Davis and Tony Parker. You thought I was an aboslute moron thinking Parker was going to have a better career than Davis. Good times.

rmt
07-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Green isn't going anywhere - he's been baptized by fire - great Finals experience after disappointing WCF last year. He learnt his lessons and improved. I hope he takes the great disappointment he showed in his locker room interview after game 7 to heart, improves on his ball-handling/mid-range. Still time to get a big contract after this contract's up.

Besides, why would you want to halve the athleticism and youth on the Spurs' perimeter.

sananspursfan21
07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Is $4M per year.

oops, wasn't really paying attention. he's still playing beyond his contract value

Atl Spur
07-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Strike now...... George Hill trade showed us the way people. Never get fixated with role players=dime a dozen!!! Stars come few and far between(even the potential).

Mugen
07-09-2013, 08:36 PM
I can't see a realistic trade target that improves our chances to win a championship in the next 2 years.

Johnny RIngo
07-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Danny Green's contract is a bargain for his value. He plays good defense in addition to being a lights out shooter and he's only 25. Manu's a washed-up TOSB that's going to be 37 at the end of next season. He's slow, not a good defender, and has been anti-clutch the past two seasons. He can't play more than 20 mins a game and he no longer has the ability to elevate his game in the playoffs. The fact that he struggles with making open threes is also worrisome. Spurs need the spacing that Danny Green provides.

tesseractive
07-09-2013, 08:39 PM
The same can be said of trading any player.
That's the point, I think. Lots of guys might be worth trading if you can get the right package in return. Danny is one of those guys.

Unlike with Patty Mills, Nando, Bonner, etc., there's a possibility that we could get back someone worth getting back. If there's not, then a trade would obviously be pointless.

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 08:39 PM
I can't see a realistic trade target that improves our chances to win a championship in the next 2 years.

This.. nobody on the radar that gives us equal value back, learns system and improves position.

MannyIsGod
07-09-2013, 08:42 PM
This has nothing to do with this post at all, but I still remember about 10 years ago when we used to argue about Baron Davis and Tony Parker. You thought I was an aboslute moron thinking Parker was going to have a better career than Davis. Good times.

I think it was more along the lines of who was better at the time. I didn't expect Tony to become this good but I was one of the few people arguing that he could be the main player to build the team around. Tony definitely has had a better career though.

coyotes_geek
07-09-2013, 08:42 PM

I can't think of one either, and the Spurs may not have any intention of trading Green at all. But between Belinelli and all the talk about Morrow and then back to Neal, the Spurs sure are making the moves that you would need to make if you were going to move Green out.

MannyIsGod
07-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Yeah I'm honestly unsure of the target. You don't have to get a great SF though. A combination of picks would be good too.

HarlemHeat37
07-09-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm not even a big Danny Green fan, but I don't see the point of trading him with his current deal, tbh..

How many guys in the NBA are 40%+ 3-point shooters that play good defense, tbh?..Lebron, Thabo, maybe Iman Shumpert..there aren't many, tbh..

Baam
07-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Danny Green for MKG?

Darius McCrary
07-09-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm not even a big Danny Green fan, but I don't see the point of trading him with his current deal, tbh..

How many guys in the NBA are 40%+ 3-point shooters that play good defense, tbh?..Lebron, Thabo, maybe Iman Shumpert..there aren't many, tbh..

Inexplicable how you can't be a fan of DG.

But yeah, at this point I just wish we had signed him for more years.

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 08:56 PM

But yeah, at this point I just wish we had signed him for more years.

Extension next year

Spursfan092120
07-09-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't do a lot of posting anymore. Mostly I lurk for news and whatnot. But I have to say...either you're a troll, or you're an idiot, based on your 730 posts on this site. Your all star team would get blown out by the Sacramento Kings summer league roster. I really don't think anyone would actually believe what you say you believe...so I'm going to assume you're a troll.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Extension next year

Can't extend a player on a three-year deal. Had the Spurs signed him to a four-year deal, they could have extended him in 2015-2016.

coyotes_geek
07-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Danny Green for MKG?

No chance of Charlotte agreeing to that.

Well, it is MJ. Miniscule chance at best.

coyotes_geek
07-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Extension next year

As chinook just mentioned, they can't. Even if they could, I doubt they would. They're setting themselves up to be able to offer up a max contract to some free agent in 2015. They don't want Green eating into potential capspace.

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 09:06 PM
As chinook just mentioned, they can't. Even if they could, I doubt they would. They're setting themselves up to be able to offer up a max contract to some free agent in 2015. They don't want Green eating into potential capspace.

Kevin Love/Roy Hibbert?

Yuixafun
07-09-2013, 09:12 PM
mmm, trade Danny Green and parts into Josh Smith

coyotes_geek
07-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Kevin Love/Roy Hibbert?

Love would certainly be a target. Not sure about Hibbert though since Splitter would still be around.

Brook Lopez and Lamarcus Aldridge will also be FA's that offseason....

TXstbobcat
07-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Danny Green is a bargain at his current salary and next years salary. It would be a mistake for the spurs to trade him.

cd021
07-09-2013, 09:19 PM

Perception of value

Ceiling

Manu

Someone actually put their thoughts into a thread and have it make some sense.

I actually thought they would move him prior to the draft. Either netting them a higher pick ( in the 15-20 range) or pair him and the #29th pick to move to the late lottery.

As of now, I think Manu should start. The problem is he can't play big minutes. Do we play him the first 7 minutes of the 1st and 3rd. While playing 6 minutes in the 2nd and 4th quarters (27mpg)? As of right now, I don't think the market is as high for Green after the dust has settled. Your right its unusual for a player to continue to develop a part of his game (attacking off the dribble) at the point in his career. Its possible but he will be remain a role player because of this flaw, a very good one none the less.

The Neal rumor is completely baffling. We would have 5 PGs. 3 true SGs (with De Colo, Mills and Neal eating time there as well), 1 SF, and 6 4/5's.

It also is an means the Spurs either don't beleive Joseph is capable of handing the backup PG duty or is still developing (unusual because he's entering his 3 season and still can't get steady minutes, even though he was the 28th pick just 2 years ago). Mills return is another oddity. Why return knowing (at the time atleast) that Neal and Joseph were ahead of him with De Colo having a possibility of winning back time at PG.

Trading De Colo makes the most sense to me. Moving him for an protected 2nd rounder that gives us $1.5 million and an open spot. An S&T to the Bucks for Neal (a pick in return) or just opting not to match any offer. This would allow the Spurs to use $3.6 million of the remaining MLE to sign a player. We'd be in position to slightly overpay for a veteran that may not have view the Spurs as a serious option (Kenyon Martin) We also could still sign Oden to the minimum or more . Either resign McGrady to play SF or inform Diaw that he will be tasked with playing SF for stretches over the course of the season.

Vic Petro
07-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Love would certainly be a target. Not sure about Hibbert though since Splitter would still be around.

Getting too far ahead of ourselves but 2/$18m of Tiago shouldn't be difficult to dump if you have a shot at Hibbert. TD has been working on him for 2 years already :stirpot:

coyotes_geek
07-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Getting too far ahead of ourselves but 2/$18m of Tiago shouldn't be difficult to dump if you have a shot at Hibbert. TD has been working on him for 2 years already :stirpot:

Since it looks like the Spurs are going with the over-the-cap route instead of the cap space route this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Splitter's contract start high in '13-'14 and decrease over the years which would make him even more tradeable in 2015.

PlayNando
07-09-2013, 09:27 PM
manu shouldn't be starting, he should be retiring.
And you should be logging off your computer and closing your Spurstalk account, tbh.

cd021
07-09-2013, 09:29 PM
No chance of Charlotte agreeing to that.

Well, it is MJ. Miniscule chance at best.

He'd take the call and spend the day pondering it. His track record is pretty damn bad.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Danny Green for MKG?

Green's better than MKG by a significant margin right now. MKG needs to become a better shooter to close the gap.

I actually think they'll have room to offer a semi-max deal to a player while retaining most of their young players. I said this in the Pendergraph thread, for those who didn't see it:

I don't think Leonard will get the max. I think he'll sign and extension in the Curry range ($50M/4-$60M/5) next off-season. Provided Green continues to improve, he'll probably get offered a contract, but the team may not fight for him too hard if the window is fully closed by then. If the Spurs try to build around Parker and Leonard, he may stay on a $6-7 Million per year deal. Joseph may get offered a smart extension next off-season as well if he looks like he can be a legitimate backup.

This is how I think the salaries on the team could look in 2015-2016:

Leonard $11M
Parker $10M
Splitter $9M
Green $6.5M
Joseph $3.5M

So those five deals put the Spurs in about the $40 Million range. Seeing as the cap will probably be about $64 Million by then, they should have enough money to go for some good free agents.

They should be able to offer a max deal to any semi-young player while re-signing everyone to a comfortable deal. Even if everyone's salaries are a bit bigger, I doubt they let Green go to try for a max free agent if he improves a lot. He'd be a seasoned championship-caliber role-player by then. They'd let go of Joseph if anyone.

Atl Spur
07-09-2013, 09:58 PM
MKG is further behind than Derozan!! A lot of posters are fixated on the here and now; kawhi will need a difference maker beside him.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
The Spurs will be able to trade for one when the time comes. For now, they need to focus on winning the title in their last two seasons with Duncan. There's no reason to sell that for Leonard's potential.

coyotes_geek
07-09-2013, 10:05 PM
I actually think they'll have room to offer a semi-max deal to a player while retaining most of their young players. I said this in the Pendergraph thread, for those who didn't see it:

They should be able to offer a max deal to any semi-young player while re-signing everyone to a comfortable deal. Even if everyone's salaries are a bit bigger, I doubt they let Green go to try for a max free agent if he improves a lot. He'd be a seasoned championship-caliber role-player by then. They'd let go of Joseph if anyone.

I remember that post. Pretty much agree with all of it, although I think Leonard's going to get a little more than $11/yr. Assuming the topic of this thread doesn't come to pass, the Spurs would certainly like to keep Green, but they want him being a FA in 2015 just because you never know what scenarios to use that capspace could open up.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 10:10 PM
I had Leonard getting $60 Million over five years, which is a bit more than Curry's getting per year. The first-year salary is just a little over $11 Million. If his starting salary is about $12.5 Million, then he'd get paid $69 Million. That's approaching the maximum I think he could get unless he makes an All-NBA team. I agree that the Spurs are okay with being able to decide on Green in 2015. But I think they probably would have given him a longer contract than two years if they had to re-sign him this off-season.

Keepin' it real
07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I think he may have even guarded Westbrook last year.

Nah, Green is Westbrook's bitch.

Keepin' it real
07-09-2013, 10:20 PM

How can anyone not like him?

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/photo/2013/0306/radio_09_g_liz-sheridan_576.jpg&w=384&h=216

dbreiden83080
07-09-2013, 10:24 PM
He could have been finals MVP
He is young

So no...

DPG21920
07-09-2013, 10:24 PM

Brook Lopez and Lamarcus Aldridge will also be FA's that offseason....

Please no!

Jdspur20
07-09-2013, 10:29 PM
You're not going to get equal value for Green tbh, even with packaging him alongside Bonner. Also, Green hasn't hit his ceiling yet; he has a couple things he can add to his game to make him a legitimate Top 5 SG in the league (a counter for defense's running him off the 3-pt line, improvement on his team D, improvement on his passing) and I'm still not convinced he can't become a better finisher.

This^. This post season showed alot of growth for DG. He hasn't hit his ceiling yet

PlayNando
07-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Trade Danny... Play Nando..................

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Trade Danny... Play Nando..................

We are talking about the Spurs not the Toros

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-09-2013, 10:38 PM
I don't mind trading Danny green... If the return is right, but I just don't see who would be available that would be a better fit

PlayNando
07-09-2013, 10:38 PM
We are talking about the Spurs not the Toros
So am I, buddy boy..........

Gringo favoritism is sickening. Nando >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Danny. PERIOD.

Play Nando....................

ducks
07-09-2013, 11:08 PM
green contract is low so you would have to package a player like booner with him
trying green for ak47 would be worth it

spurQ
07-10-2013, 12:19 AM
This will be my 3rd post ever on here..... You are one stupid bastard. Go dig a hole and bury yourself in it and make sure theirs no are pockets in it. DG is not and shouldn't go anywhere. Why would you trade an up and coming player who is starting to develop in the Spurs system?

spurraider21
07-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Green's contract is too small to get similar value in return. He's going to be a Spur for a very long time, I would think

MannyIsGod
07-10-2013, 12:28 AM
I loled.

This will be my 3rd post ever on here..... You are one stupid bastard. Go dig a hole and bury yourself in it and make sure theirs no are pockets in it. DG is not and shouldn't go anywhere. Why would you trade an up and coming player who is starting to develop in the Spurs system?

spurQ (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8818)

Believe.http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/avatars/avamoore1.bmp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8818)My TeamSan Antonio SpursPost Count42

MannyIsGod
07-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Green's contract is too small to get similar value in return. He's going to be a Spur for a very long time, I would think

Did you read the OP?

therealtruth
07-10-2013, 12:35 AM
DG is part of the best defensive starting 5 in the NBA. The only issue is improving the offense with that unit so it isn't so dependent on TP.

spurraider21
07-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Did you read the OP?

Did not read.

and the answer is No.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2013, 12:39 AM
DG is part of the best defensive starting 5 in the NBA. The only issue is improving the offense with that unit so it isn't so dependent on TP.

Do you mean he's the best defensive shooting guard in the league or do you mean the Spurs are the best defensive starting 5? I don't think either is right.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Well maybe you should have so you don't bring up subjects that are covered in the OP. Or remain proud to be willfully ignorant. Whatever.

sexinthatsx
07-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Do you mean he's the best defensive shooting guard in the league or do you mean the Spurs are the best defensive starting 5? I don't think either is right.

I honestly think Danny Green is up there as one of the best defensive shooting guards in the league, considering Tony Allen plays at SF, Shane Battier plays at PF. The only ones I see with better defense is probably a healthy Wade and maybe two or three more other players.

Also, to people who think Danny Green's defense is overrated, the kid blocked Lebron twice in the finals spotlight and stopped countless fastbreaks the heat had on 2 on 1 situations. Not many defenders can say that they made Lebron think twice about taking it to the rim.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Wade is no near the top. Tony Allen is the best defensive SG. Danny Green's fast break defense is very good and he's one of the better defensive guards in the league but he's not the best.

sexinthatsx
07-10-2013, 01:16 AM
Wade is no near the top. Tony Allen is the best defensive SG. Danny Green's fast break defense is very good and he's one of the better defensive guards in the league but he's not the best.

Doesn't Tony Allen play SF? And who are some players that are better? I'm too lazy to look right now lol

Chinook
07-10-2013, 01:21 AM
I honestly think Danny Green is up there as one of the best defensive shooting guards in the league, considering Tony Allen plays at SF, Shane Battier plays at PF. The only ones I see with better defense is probably a healthy Wade and maybe two or three more other players.

Also, to people who think Danny Green's defense is overrated, the kid blocked Lebron twice in the finals spotlight and stopped countless fastbreaks the heat had on 2 on 1 situations. Not many defenders can say that they made Lebron think twice about taking it to the rim.

He blocked James five times in the Finals.

Chinook
07-10-2013, 01:24 AM
You have to get someone better than Green if you're going to trade him. None of the players in these proposed trades are better than Green (at least in the context the Spurs' system). Almost every player that's legitimately better than Green is firmly on their teams' no-trade lists. Trading Danny for a player like Kirilenko is a step in the wrong direction.

therealtruth
07-10-2013, 03:34 AM

Best defensive 5 in terms of points allowed. Basically when that 5 is on the court the other team struggles to score.

jesterbobman
07-10-2013, 03:54 AM
Go to NBAWOWY.COM.

Enter on court as the starting 5.

Look at Danny Greens TS%.

Yes, 69.4% is insane.

He's not going anywhere.

mudyez
07-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Ok, I get OP's point and its all fair.

But we need to talk about names? Love? Really? Aldridge? What?
You have to think the other GM's are nuts. Only because Green was a near Finals MVP (as he got hot and fit perfect untio our system) doesn't mean that other GM's want to get rid of their starplayers!

I'd think players like Arron Afflalo, Gerald Henderson or one of the Rookies from #8 and below are more in the range of such a deal and I wont trade Danny for them.

Baam
07-10-2013, 04:08 AM
The only no brainer would be someone like Asik because an elite defensive big can impact the game a lot more.

therealtruth
07-10-2013, 04:48 AM
Go to NBAWOWY.COM.

Enter on court as the starting 5.

Look at Danny Greens TS%.

Yes, 69.4% is insane.

He's not going anywhere.

Nice site. Like I said our starting 5 is dominant defensively. We've just got to improve the offense by using Kawhi, Tiago, and DG more. The TP show may work during the regular season but it's not going to win the championship.

FireMicoHalili
07-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Wondering if DG would've been part of the AK package. DG + Bonner + Mills or something. Still holding onto that 3PT record tho

DAF86
07-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Never been a huge DG fan but no way I trade him now.

spurQ
07-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I loled.

Are you going to answer the question or bullshit me with your childish reply? I would really like to know why in the hell would you trade green? And for who??

spurQ (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8818)

Believe.http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/avatars/avamoore1.bmp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8818)My TeamSan Antonio SpursPost Count42

tesseractive
07-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Green's better than MKG by a significant margin right now. MKG needs to become a better shooter to close the gap.
Not that this is a real trade that has any chance of happening, but my impression of MKG at the time of last year's draft was that if he could land on the Spurs and get developed by our coaches, his ceiling would be even higher than Kawhi's. Hard worker, defense, rebounding, strong finsher at the basket -- basically, has every single tool except a shot, which is our player development specialty. Am I wrong?

ChumpDumper
07-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Since realistically we are only looking to replace a shitful Stephen Jackson -- at fewer minutes, no less -- I'm just not all that keen on trading a starter.

Taking it to the Hole
07-11-2013, 03:11 PM
The guy just broke the Finals record for 3 pointers made and you want to trade him? Oh yeah, that is a very smart idea.

spurQ
07-11-2013, 03:23 PM
The guy just broke the Finals record for 3 pointers made and you want to trade him? Oh yeah, that is a very smart idea.

Drom John
07-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Sell high.
That said, looking for any SF that had either better DRtg or dWS, came up with either stars that won't be traded (Paul George and others), or huge salaries (Luol Deng and others).

ChumpDumper
07-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Uh, we have a SF that's going to play like 36+ mpg next season.

Still, it's a shame we traded Paul George. Stupid Pop.

Chinook
07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Not that this is a real trade that has any chance of happening, but my impression of MKG at the time of last year's draft was that if he could land on the Spurs and get developed by our coaches, his ceiling would be even higher than Kawhi's. Hard worker, defense, rebounding, strong finsher at the basket -- basically, has every single tool except a shot, which is our player development specialty. Am I wrong?

MKG has a high ceiling, but that doesn't make him a better player than Green right now. Plenty of players don't ever reach their potential, and Kidd-Gilchrist could be one of those. He has a lot of good thing about him, but like Demar DeRozan, not only does he lack some of the easy-to-see things about Green (shooting in this case), but he also lacks Green's intangibles. I don't see MKG as being able to fit into the Spurs' system very well, especially with Leonard there already. Green's almost a seamless fit next to Parker and Leonard.

Chinook
07-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Sell high.

Or don't sell at all.

I seriously don't get why people keep using that as a justification for trading Green. The fact that he has a high reputation around the league shouldn't encourage the team to move him. His stock is up because of what he's actually done on the court -- the same reason why Leonard's stock is up. Trading good players just because they have high value is something that the Rockets would do.

Also, Green hasn't reached his ceiling yet. He can become more consistent from two an find a way to make more plays despite his shortcomings. Even if his stock is at an all-time high, his value to the team is not. It took the team years to find a player like Green. I doubt they let him go for anything short of a potential superstar (who can help now).

Baam
07-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Or don't sell at all.

I seriously don't get why people keep using that as a justification for trading Green. The fact that he has a high reputation around the league shouldn't encourage the team to move him. His stock is up because of what he's actually done on the court -- the same reason why Leonard's stock is up. Trading good players just because they have high value is something that the Rockets would do.

Also, Green hasn't reached his ceiling yet. He can become more consistent from two an find a way to make more plays despite his shortcomings. Even if his stock is at an all-time high, his value to the team is not. It took the team years to find a player like Green. I doubt they let him go for anything short of a potential superstar (who can help now).

Because he's not a centerpiece and Manu is falling off so having a specialist at the starting 2 is not such a no brainer anymore...

The Spurs are great at finding and polishing guards, there's a track record that suggests it's what they do best... Now in two years you have to pay him, most likely big money. So this is the George Hill dilemna all over again... Maybe the answer is different but the question is there, in two years do they want to pay Green big money?

I think they fucked up with Tiago, they should have played him sooner to determine his value in time to have the option to trade him. I would have liked that option better but it is what it is now... 4*9M for a role player, nobody can love that contract...

Baam
07-11-2013, 04:18 PM
In this league these 8 to 10M contracts for role players are bad value, it's much better to have real stars and complementary player paid 4-6M like Green now, Tiago before, Diaw, Bonner...

If they don't trade him or Tiago the Spurs are gonna overpay two role players...

Chinook
07-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Because he's not a centerpiece and Manu is falling off so having a specialist at the starting 2 is not such a no brainer anymore...

The Spurs are great at finding and polishing guards, there's a track record that suggests it's what they do best... Now in two years you have to pay him, most likely big money. So this is the George Hill dilemna all over again... Maybe the answer is different but the question is there, in two years do they want to pay Green big money?

I think they fucked up with Tiago, they should have played him sooner to determine his value in time to have the option to trade him. I would have liked that option better but it is what it is now... 4*9M for a role player, nobody can love that contract...

Name a guard besides Green that the Spurs have "polished" for the role Green currently fills? And don't even try to say Neal, since no one besides you would take him over Green. The Spurs haven't had a two-guard as good as Green (not counting Ginobili) in the Duncan era. I don't think people who want to trade him fully appreciate that.

Green isn't starting because of Ginobili -- he's starting because of Parker. Joseph got minutes over De Colo because of Ginobili. Green's shooting and movement fit perfectly with Parker, and his defense fits in perfectly with Leonard. The fact that Ginobili's fading doesn't change the fact that Green's great in the starting lineup.

Green's worth about twice as much as he's making. In two years, if he's still on the team and playing well, he'll earn every big of the $6-7.5 Million a year his new contract would call for. If Danny were a free agent this off-season, he'd probably get that from the Spurs as readily as Splitter got his money.

Chinook
07-11-2013, 04:25 PM
In this league these 8 to 10M contracts for role players are bad value, it's much better to have real stars and complementary player paid 4-6M like Green now, Tiago before, Diaw, Bonner...

If they don't trade him or Tiago the Spurs are gonna overpay two role players...

You don't realize exactly how much NBA players get paid, do you? Most $7-10 Million players aren't stars unless they're on second deals and are just breaking out. Stars get paid in the $12-20 Million per year range, depending on age.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Seriously, what this team needs is a SF who can play ten minutes without actively shooting baskets for the other team and we're talking about trading Danny Green?

Baam
07-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Name a guard besides Green that the Spurs have "polished" for the role? And don't even try to say Neal, since no one besides you would take him over Green. The Spurs haven't had a two-guard as good as Green (not counting Ginobili) in the Duncan era. I don't think people who want to trade him fully appreciate that.

Green isn't starting because of Ginobili -- he's starting because of Parker. Joseph got minutes over De Colo because of Ginobili. Green's shooting and movement fit perfectly with Parker, and his defense fits in perfectly with Leonard. The fact that Ginobili's fading doesn't change the fact that Green's great in the starting lineup.

Green's worth about twice as much as he's making. In two years, if he's still on the team and playing well, he'll earn every big of the $6-7.5 Million a year his new contract would call for. If Danny were a free agent this off-season, he'd probably get that from the Spurs as readily as Splitter got his money.

They have developped plenty of guards is all I'm saying, it's way easier than finding bigs.

And you're making my point, do you sign Green to 7-8M (I think he could get that much right now) in 2 years if Parker leaves? It's like Tiago without Tim, his value goes down all of a sudden...

ChumpDumper
07-11-2013, 04:30 PM
They have developped plenty of guard is all I'm saying.Who?

Baam
07-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Who?

George Hill to begin with, who they traded because they didn't like the idea of paying him big money, that's precisely the debate with Green, he has high trade value but if they like the idea of paying him in two years when they are rebuilding then sure you keep him...

ChumpDumper
07-11-2013, 04:34 PM
George Hill to begin with, who they traded because they didn't like the idea of paying him big money, that's precisely the debate with Green, he has high trade value but if they like the idea of paying him in two years when they are rebuilding then sure you keep him...They traded Hill specifically because he didn't develop the way they wanted.

Chinook
07-11-2013, 04:40 PM
They have developped plenty of guards is all I'm saying, it's way easier than finding bigs.

And you're making my point, do you sign Green to 7-8M (I think he could get that much right now) in 2 years if Parker leaves? It's like Tiago without Tim, his value goes down all of a sudden...

Splitter produces just fine without Duncan. If anything, he produces better, because Duncan messes up spacing (not as badly as Splitter does for him, though). The Spurs will be worse when Duncan leaves because Duncan's a once-in-a-lifetime player, not because Splitter's stats are propped up disproportionately by Duncan's presence.

Green is also a perfect compliment to Leonard, especially if Kawhi takes off offensively the way a lot of people are hoping. It's not like he'll become useless as soon as Parker's not there to draw defenders. And that's already assuming that Green doesn't get better in the next two years. If he works on getting his own shot at all (he tried this season with mixed but encouraging results) then he could definitely be valuable to an Old Parker/Actualized Leonard/Max Free Agent core for the next seven years.

Green's an extremely rare player in the league. He's not just a 3-and-D player like Sefalosha or Battier. He's arguably the best assisted-three-point shooter and transition defender in the league. How many times does it make sense to trade a player who's top-3 in categories on both sides of the ball in addition to above-average in many others?

Chinook
07-11-2013, 04:42 PM
George Hill

Nope. If he would have been the player Green is, they would have had no problem paying him. But he was even more inconsistent than Green on offense and much more limited than Green on defense. And even if that's the same case (it's not), then it surely doesn't make sense to trade him this off-season, as he'll never drive them into the luxury tax the way Hill may have.

Baam
07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
So they didn't develop Hill and Green is a centerpiece ok...

Everyone can have their opinion on the matter, but there's indeed a case for trading Green...

tesseractive
07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
They traded Hill specifically because he didn't develop the way they wanted.
Is that confirmed? My impression was that they really liked him, but a starter at the 3 was more important than a third guard given that we already had two all stars.

coyotes_geek
07-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Is that confirmed? My impression was that they really liked him, but a starter at the 3 was more important than a third guard given that we already had two all stars.

All three TBH. Money, development & SF need.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Is that confirmed? My impression was that they really liked him, but a starter at the 3 was more important than a third guard given that we already had two all stars.They liked him -- not so much as the backup point guard they wanted in the first place.

tesseractive
07-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Green's an extremely rare player in the league. He's not just a 3-and-D player like Sefalosha or Battier. He's arguably the best assisted-three-point shooter and transition defender in the league.
Wait, did you just say that he's not just a 3-and-D player because he's really good at shooting 3 pointers and defending? :lol

tesseractive
07-11-2013, 04:50 PM
They liked him -- not so much as the backup point guard they wanted in the first place.
Ok, makes sense.

Chinook
07-11-2013, 04:52 PM
So they didn't develop Hill and Green is a centerpiece ok...

Everyone can have their opinion on the matter, but there's indeed a case for trading Green...

Green isn't a centerpiece in the way that Duncan or Parker is. But he is borderline essential to the team's run. Not only do the Spurs not make it as far without him, but they don't make it nearly as far.

Hill didn't develop much after his second season. He still hasn't, two years later. Green was already as good as Hill at filling Hill's old Spurs role the second he started to get playing time. Now, he's so far past what Hill could do there that it's not even fair to compare them. I think we'll see Cory Joseph eclipse Hill's Spurs production next season.

Seriously, go back and watch a game from 2009-2011. The Spurs were awful when Hill was a key cog.

Chinook
07-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Wait, did you just say that he's not just a 3-and-D player because he's really good at shooting 3 pointers and defending? :lol

Meaning not a run-of-the-mill 3-and-D player like the others. Usually that term just applies to above-average man defenders who just spot up in the corner. Green's so much more than that.

tesseractive
07-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Meaning not a run-of-the-mill 3-and-D player like the others. Usually that term just applies to above-average man defenders who just spot up in the corner. Green's so much more than that.
Ok, fair enough. I just thought that was a pretty funny construction, was all. :)

One surprising thing though: Battier obviously has his best days behind him by now, but do you really think that right now, Danny Green is better than Battier was at his peak?

Chinook
07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Ok, fair enough. I just thought that was a pretty funny construction, was all. :)

One surprising thing though: Battier obviously has his best days behind him by now, but do you really think that right now, Danny Green is better than Battier was at his peak?

They're such different players. Green is more athletic and relies on his length and hands to prevent scores. Battier moved his feet extremely well and he was (and still is) great at beating defenders to spots. If Green learned to approximate some Battier's strengths on D, he'd be a better defender than Leonard, who should never try to learn to play defense that way.

Offensively, Battier is taller and took advantage of that by having a good post game. Green is just a more dynamic shooter, and he'd probably be a better cutter if he committed to it more often instead of aborting half-way through. Green should try to get a post game going some time in the future. If he could take advantage of posting up smaller guards on cross-matches, he'd have a great steady flow of offense that no one has to make for him.

Holden_Caulfield
07-11-2013, 05:18 PM
lol gtfo

Atl Spur
07-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Danny Green is mentally weak people!! you can't change a person's make-up if that's who they are. That's the difference between him and Kawhi sir.

Atl Spur
07-11-2013, 06:20 PM
The league is littered with Danny Green like players!! He gets wide open shots constantly; play defense on him and voila NO Cojones!

Atl Spur
07-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Kawai Leonard doesn't look for acceptance from LeBron James or Dwayne Wade like opponents. He just takes it and that kind of player you need when you're looking to make advancement from just a good player to a great player!! Danny's out there making friends and trying to be one of the guys with opponents: Kawhi is out there trying to win rings.

Chinook
07-11-2013, 06:29 PM
^ The bads.

benefactor
^ The bads.
Very.

ChumpDumper
What is with the horrible crop of new GNSFs?

benefactor
07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
What is with the horrible crop of new GNSFs?
It's pretty damn bad. That or I'm just getting old and more irritable.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Just have to wait until middle school starts up again, I guess.

Atl Spur
07-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Wow! Way to sensitive to be dudes. Just my opinion; I never professed it to be fact! To be a star you must possess a certain mentality which history has proven.

Chinook
07-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Oh, good. The bads have returned.

phxspurfan
07-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Danny Green is probably tradeable for a decent backup SF and one or two picks. I'd probably do it, given his high value and our glut of SGs. We could easily slot Belinelli in there.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2013, 01:07 PM
We're going to trade a starting SG who can play 10 minutes at SF for a SF that can play 10 minutes?

Josepatches_
07-12-2013, 01:23 PM
DG wasn't so great all year. People here was mad at him a lot of times. You only have to see game threads.

But trade him? for who? Another big? backup PG?

Yeah, it could be the time to trade him if we talk about his value in the market but he's better for us than anyone we could get in return. He's not so good. His trade value is small even after what he did in the Finals.

kobexxx
07-12-2013, 01:26 PM
go for it

xmas1997
07-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I would only trade him for someone really good and really young. Otherwise, no.

phxspurfan
07-12-2013, 02:48 PM
We're going to trade a starting SG who can play 10 minutes at SF for a SF that can play 10 minutes?

And get two first round picks that may turn into that same starting SG.

And we have great depth at that SG position. People are so hung up on the fact that he started. The fact that he started so many games was really a gift from Pop in the beginning, anyway. Until he hit all those threes in the finals, people were thinking he was a choker.

Chinook
07-12-2013, 03:00 PM

And we have great depth at that SG position. People are so hung up on the fact that he started. The fact that he started so many games was really a gift from Pop in the beginning, anyway. Until he hit all those threes in the finals, people were thinking he was a choker.

Only people who forgot Green's Clippers series in 2012 considered him a choker. Most of the people on this board knew he wasn't long before he set a Finals record.

No, you don't trade Green for picks and a backup and picks. You keep him, because he's the best fit in for the starting lineup on the roster -- and just about the best fit next to Parker and Leonard in the league. You don't make a team that was in the Finals significantly weaker, just because a player has trade value.

SenorSpur
07-12-2013, 03:04 PM
I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2013, 03:44 PM
I knew people across the NBA would be overrating Danny Green so I'm not sure why I didn't expect many people here to do the same. Anyone willing to bet that Danny Green's production drops off this year? I'm fairly certain he'll shoot a lower percentage and score less per game. Anyone want to take it a bet on those fronts?

MannyIsGod
07-12-2013, 03:59 PM
The idea that Danny Green is essential to the Spurs success is quite odd to me. Danny Green's main job on our offense is to hit 3 point shots. Thats not exactly a role that is difficult to fill. What puts Danny Green over the top is how he plays above average defense and can guard 3 positions on the perimeter. But Danny Green is not a shut down defender by any stretch of the imagination. He's certainly not creating offense for other players on this team. He absolutely does help with spacing - as any efficient 3 point shooter does - but his shots only come off of the other members of the team. If any of the big 3 drop off significantly this year - and honestly chances are good this is going to happen - then Danny Green's production and efficiency will also drop off. If Kawhi's offensive game takes the step up many are hoping for this year I don't believe Green will benefit. I think Kawhi has a lot of potential as someone who can create offense for himself but I'm not quite optimistic he'll be the creator every member of the current big 3 is.

Mel_13
07-12-2013, 04:02 PM

This.

Danny's a good player on a nicely valued contract, but he's not untouchable.

spurraider21
07-12-2013, 04:05 PM
I knew people across the NBA would be overrating Danny Green so I'm not sure why I didn't expect many people here to do the same. Anyone willing to bet that Danny Green's production drops off this year? I'm fairly certain he'll shoot a lower percentage and score less per game. Anyone want to take it a bet on those fronts?

you want to bet that both his scoring AND shooting % will drop? i'll take that bet.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2013, 04:10 PM
you want to bet that both his scoring AND shooting % will drop? i'll take that bet.

Terms?

DAF86
07-12-2013, 04:21 PM

The thing you're not getting is that Green makes less than 4 mil per year. Who do you plan to get for that money that would be more valuable than him?

spurraider21
07-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Terms?

when discussing shooting%, are we talking FG% or 3PT%

and i'm assuming scoring is per game not some per minute crap

Capt Bringdown
07-12-2013, 05:05 PM
LOL, Manu as a starter.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2013, 01:15 AM

And we have great depth at that SG position. People are so hung up on the fact that he started. The fact that he started so many games was really a gift from Pop in the beginning, anyway. Until he hit all those threes in the finals, people were thinking he was a choker.two cirst rounders is a fantasy.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 12:09 AM
lol

NASpurs
05-22-2014, 12:13 AM
Has the Splitter thread been bumped yet?

DPG21920
05-22-2014, 12:13 AM
MKG? More like SMH amiright?

jag
05-22-2014, 12:19 AM
I'm willing to bet there's an archived thread somewhere on SpursReport started by Manny claiming the Spurs new draft pick, Duncan, will be a bust. He wanted Keith Van Horn.

MI21
05-22-2014, 12:22 AM
The idea that Danny Green is essential to the Spurs success is quite odd to me.

crofl

T Park
05-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Whoops

100%duncan
05-22-2014, 12:25 AM
:lmao

100%duncan
05-22-2014, 12:26 AM

:lol

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 12:28 AM
to be fair i would have lost the bet proposed on this page, but manny never manned up

simba80328
05-22-2014, 12:28 AM
https://vine.co/v/MmFKqX3uT3l

Chinook
05-22-2014, 12:30 AM
^ The bads.

DPG21920
05-22-2014, 12:31 AM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2011/writers/sam_amick/06/07/mark.jackson/jackson-amick.jpg

Manny, down and out. Getting kicked, completely defenseless. No work tomorrow, hurts too bad, tell mom I'm sorry. Boss man, not. gonna. happen. Bad take, mistake. Danny by 30.

FkLA
05-22-2014, 12:32 AM
Meh this take is horrible only because Green makes $4 mill. You wont get better value out of any player not on a rookie contract. Everything else (Green's value being at an all-time high, Green mostly depending on players to set him up, etc) wasnt that unreasonable. Manny's take on Splitter is alot worse tbh.

T Park
05-22-2014, 12:33 AM
Yeah it's pretty damn unreasonable....

Chinook
05-22-2014, 12:35 AM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2011/writers/sam_amick/06/07/mark.jackson/jackson-amick.jpg

Manny, down and out. Getting kicked, completely defenseless. No work tomorrow, hurts too bad, tell mom I'm sorry. Boss man, not. gonna. happen. Bad take, mistake. Danny by 30.

My shit = lost

Chris
05-22-2014, 12:36 AM

Reminded me of this
eOtZ7eXwT7o

Chinook
05-22-2014, 12:37 AM
The players people thought would be equal value for Green is what gets me. As I said in another thread, there have been some truly awful suggestions by folks over the past couple years.

MannyIsGod
05-22-2014, 01:07 PM
You guys can laugh it up, but you should read what I posted. Danny did have production drops just like I predicted. He's had a good series and I hope he plays well, but I'm sure no one will bump this thread if he doesn't keep this hot shooting up. Its pretty hard to argue that his value will ever be as high as it was after the last finals but if he keeps up this shooting then it might be the same.

Danny was definitely our most tradeable asset last offseason outside of maybe Kawhi and Kawhi should be untradeable. The points about his contract being small are valid, but that is why I suggested packaging him and not simply trading him alone. This thread was also created when reports had come out that the Spurs had resigned Neal which turned out to be false.

MannyIsGod
05-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Why are you laughing? His production dropped off.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 01:09 PM
You guys can laugh it up, but you should read what I posted. Danny did have production drops just like I predicted. He's had a good series and I hope he plays well, but I'm sure no one will bump this thread if he doesn't keep this hot shooting up. Its pretty hard to argue that his value will ever be as high as it was after the last finals but if he keeps up this shooting then it might be the same.

Danny was definitely our most tradeable asset last offseason outside of maybe Kawhi and Kawhi should be untradeable. The points about his contract being small are valid, but that is why I suggested packaging him and not simply trading him alone. This thread was also created when reports had come out that the Spurs had resigned Neal which turned out to be false.
we ended up signing Marco anyway, so the neal excuse doesn't really fly. you just don't trade an elite 3 and D guy because he has trade value. there is a good reason he has trade value. even if his finals performance wasn't as prolific from 3, he was still incredible defensively. Wade wasn't really a factor outside of games 4 and 7, and I lost count of how many times Green single handedly broke up what are normally automatic transition buckets for LeBron and co.

will_spurs
05-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Reminded me of this
eOtZ7eXwT7o

That takes awfulness to new heights!

xmas1997
05-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Meh this take is horrible only because Green makes $4 mill. You wont get better value out of any player not on a rookie contract. Everything else (Green's value being at an all-time high, Green mostly depending on players to set him up, etc) wasnt that unreasonable. Manny's take on Splitter is alot worse tbh.

The players people thought would be equal value for Green is what gets me. As I said in another thread, there have been some truly awful suggestions by folks over the past couple years.

I agree with both of you 100%.
You've both pretty much said what most of us objective fans believe IMHO.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Green is tradeable just like most Spurs. The thing is, immediately after trading Green the Spurs would be looking for someone who does what Green does.

xmas1997
05-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Green is tradeable just like most Spurs. The thing is, immediately after trading Green the Spurs would be looking for someone who does what Green does.

Plus Green hung his hat on defense before becoming the 3 pt threat he is now. The Spurs and Pop value that very highly.

T Park
05-22-2014, 01:23 PM

Seeing as his defense is hard to replace I'd disagree with this.

spurraider21
05-22-2014, 01:24 PM
well put :lol

benefactor
05-22-2014, 01:25 PM
And as we have seen many, many times both with the Spurs and with the league as a whole, that's much easier said than done...especially at the amount Green is making.

DPG21920
05-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Not only that, SG is a big position of need and saying the Spurs (even with Neal) had depth there was wrong. The concept of selling high is fine, but in the real world of this team that concept lead to a faulty assessment. You see this no more than people clinging to the "dip in scoring" argument which only serves to illustrate how people underrate Danny BD Green and what his role is on this team (especially when paired with Kawhi defensively).

Money aside, Green is easily a top 10 SG. He's not just some easily replaceable cog. There was no position of need that needed to be addressed that would offset the loss of Danny.

Mugen
05-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Even if he's not hitting 3s, he still has to be accounted for and that spaces the floor for Parker. And there probably isn't 5 guys in the league right now that can guard 1-3 like Green does, definitely none that are making the same amount of money that he does.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2014, 01:34 PM
I mean just the basic outline of Danny's role shows how difficult it could be to replace.

1) Shoot 3 pointers at a consistently high rate and occasional God mode.

2) Defend starting scoring threats in positions 1-3.

3) Best one man transition defense in recent memory.

benefactor
05-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Danny BD Green

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMGu-55sKJs

Dex
05-22-2014, 01:44 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Billy-D_Approves.gif

DPG21920
05-22-2014, 01:47 PM
I'll say this though: I'd rather have a well thought out take that doesn't hit the mark (at least IMO) than some of the stupid crap we get.

I'm just here to talk basketball.

Budkin
05-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Now that he is becoming an elite defender he's truly valuable to the Spurs even though he has his cold streaks.

100%duncan
05-22-2014, 06:00 PM

/thread

pgardn
05-22-2014, 06:09 PM
I mean just the basic outline of Danny's role shows how difficult it could be to replace.

1) Shoot 3 pointers at a consistently high rate and occasional God mode.

2) Defend starting scoring threats in positions 1-3.

3) Best one man transition defense in recent memory.

Heck yes.

As long as he is in with two other guys that can handle the ball he fits very well. If we get to Miaimi again it will be very interesting to see if they just let him run by them to keep him from shooting that 3. We have really given him some good looks this series.

cd021
05-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Green is tradeable just like most Spurs. The thing is, immediately after trading Green the Spurs would be looking for someone who does what Green does. I could still see them moving him for a pick but that pick would have to be a guard who has a higher ceiling and can do some of the stuff Green can do now.

cd021
05-22-2014, 09:14 PM
Now that he is becoming an elite defender he's truly valuable to the Spurs even though he has his cold streaks. One could argue that even doing his cold streaks offensively he still had the Bonner effect. Teams are reluctant to leave him keeping them from helping off of him.

SnakeBoy
05-22-2014, 09:43 PM
One could argue that even doing his cold streaks offensively he still had the Bonner effect. Teams are reluctant to leave him keeping them from helping off of him.

The Bonner effect is I'm too scared to shoot the ball come playoff time...definitely not a problem Green suffers from.