PDA

View Full Version : The NBA has announced that the salary cap for the 2013-14 season will be $58.679 mill

ace3g
07-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Jared Zwerling @JaredZwerling
(http://twitter.com/JaredZwerling)The NBA has announced that the salary cap for the 2013-14 season will be $58.679 million.

Ken Berger @KBergCBS
(http://twitter.com/KBergCBS)NBA's salary cap set at $58.679M, and luxury-tax line at $71.748M for '13-'14 season, league announces.

spurraider21
07-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Bruno and Chinook need to do some number crunching. tell us all how we're acquiring AK47 :lol

Captivus
07-09-2013, 09:29 PM
This is the expected/assumed number.

Libri
07-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Bruno pretty much on target with projecting the salary cap.

TXstbobcat
07-09-2013, 09:33 PM
From reading Bruno's posts in the salary thread in the think tank the cap seems to be what Bruno predicted it to be.

coyotes_geek
07-09-2013, 09:38 PM
A little higher than the consensus $58.5 estimate, but not enough to make a difference. Pendergraft getting that 2/$4 deal pretty much gave away that the Spurs were going to stay over the cap and use the MLE.

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Damn you Bonner

Chinook
07-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Bruno (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2449) and Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) need to do some number crunching. tell us all how we're acquiring AK47 :lol

A trade is the only way to do it without amnestying Parker. The salary cap is pretty much what we've expected it to be for the past month or so.

spurraider21
07-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Do you (in all honesty) believe Minnesota has incentive to make it happen?

coyotes_geek
07-09-2013, 09:49 PM
The cap room route: If the Spurs renounce everybody except for Manu and Tiago, amnesty Bonner and use the Room Exception on Belinelli they could be $6.7mil under the cap. $2 of that is going to Pendergraft. That leaves $4.7 which does not beat the MLE. The Spurs would have to salary dump somebody to beat the MLE.

The over the cap route: The Spurs get to keep Bonner, as well as RFA rights to Blair and Neal. Belinelli and Pendergraft basically use up all the MLE. Spurs can trade and sign guys to league min deals.

KL2
07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
I have no idea what this means :smokin

Sean Cagney
07-09-2013, 09:59 PM

He seems to be on target with alot of stuff, one of the few I actually will read when he posts in here.

Knoxxx
07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
The Spurs still have the $7 million Horry cap hold they never planned to use cap space to sign players.

I would think they will use every available tool to upgrade roster and get their payroll up as close to the luxury tax limit as possible though. No way they run a $60 million payroll expecting closer to $70 million.

I expect Mills Neal De Colo Bonner and Blair to all be trade fodder with Spurs looking to take on more salary but no rj-type bad long term
contracts. With many friends around the league this should be doable.

Kindergarten Cop
07-09-2013, 10:21 PM
The Spurs still have the $7 million Horry cap hold they never planned to use cap space to sign players.

:huh

Would someone in the know please explain this?

ace3g
07-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Jerry Zgoda @JerryZgoda
(http://twitter.com/JerryZgoda)Tomorrow could be big day for Wolves to swing s-t or get outbid for C Brewer, who wants to come back. Hearing he's aiming for 4 yrs, $19M

Keepin' it real
07-09-2013, 10:26 PM
I have no idea what this means :smokin

Good thing you don't own or general manage an NBA team.:hat

cjw
07-09-2013, 10:27 PM
:huh

Would someone in the know please explain this?

They never renounced his rights after he retired. Hasn't mattered because the team has consistently operated above the cap. When you see a team that had to clear the decks for free agents (Miami - http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/Miami.htm), they will have renounced basically everyone. According to this site, we have cap holds on the Damon Stoudamires and Nick Van Exels of the world still. If we were to be a cap player, those would disappear in a heartbeat.

spurraider21
07-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Jerry Zgoda @JerryZgoda
(http://twitter.com/JerryZgoda)Tomorrow could be big day for Wolves to swing s-t or get outbid for C Brewer, who wants to come back. Hearing he's aiming for 4 yrs, $19M

Spurs get Kirilenko, Wolves get Brewer, Nuggets get draft picks, de colo, etc?

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Good thing you don't own or general manage an NBA team.:hat

Works in the Lakers front office.

Kindergarten Cop
07-09-2013, 10:35 PM
They never renounced his rights after he retired. Hasn't mattered because the team has consistently operated above the cap. When you see a team that had to clear the decks for free agents (Miami - http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/Miami.htm), they will have renounced basically everyone. According to this site, we have cap holds on the Damon Stoudamires and Nick Van Exels of the world still. If we were to be a cap player, those would disappear in a heartbeat.

Thanks. How could the cap hold help us this year?

Knoxxx
07-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Until you renounce a player a cap hold remains based on their last salary. Until you are serious about signing high dollar free agents you want to retain cap holds so you can still use the larger $ 5 million mid level exception I think annually.

That is why you will see weird things like Horry's cap hold sticking around years after he retired. Check sham sports-known to be very accurate and still shows the Horry hold.

coyotes_geek
07-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks. How could the cap hold help us this year?

It can't. Under the prior CBA teams were able to "Keith VanHorn" guys into trades, but the new CBA took away that possibility. A guy has to be on your roster the previous year for you to be able to trade him.

cjw
07-09-2013, 10:39 PM
It can't. Under the prior CBA teams were able to "Keith VanHorn" guys into trades, but the new CBA took away that possibility. A guy has to be on your roster the previous year for you to be able to trade him.

Which is why one of those guys on the Knicks is going to get some free money to get signed and sent to Toronto in the Bargnani trade because they couldn't finalize the trade before July 1. Quentin Richardson is smiling...

Knoxxx
07-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Spurs get Kirilenko, Wolves get Brewer, Nuggets get draft picks, de colo, etc?

Yes we can hope. A move like this is far more plausible then the Spurs standing pat with 8 mostly small guards on their roster plus market able assets like Bonner and Blair. We are a perfect match for a salary dumping team since we can add $10 to $15 milllion in salary plus whatever salaries we trade away. No way Spurs will stand pat willingly and waste Duncan's twilight years with a $60 million payroll when luxury tax limit is over $70 million. You can bet Spurs FO is exploring every option here with other teams. Explains why news on guys like Blair and Neal has been so sparse too as they are in limbo.

Bruno
07-09-2013, 11:01 PM

It wasn't a projection on my part. The $58.5M figure came from the NBA in May based on the financial numbers they had at that time.

Earlier this season, when they weren't projections made by the NBA released, I was guesstimating a cap significantly higher ($62M). I was wrong on that.

Bruno
07-09-2013, 11:10 PM
If the rumors about Spurs likely re-signing Neal are true, it makes the whole Spurs off-season even more foolish. By amnestying Bonner, Spurs could have had $5.5M in cap space to use on a quality player while Pendergraph would have been signed with the room exception and Splitter, Ginobili and Neal would have been re-signed.

I really don't get what Spurs are doing this summer, they just had so much better options that would have allowed them to improve their team.

ace3g
07-09-2013, 11:12 PM
If the rumors about Spurs likely re-signing Neal are true, it makes the whole Spurs off-season even more foolish. By amnestying Bonner, Spurs could have had $5.5M in cap space to use on a quality player while Pendergraph would have been signed with the room exception and Splitter, Ginobili and Neal would have been re-signed.

I really don't get what Spurs are doing this summer, they just had so much better options that would have allowed them to improve their team.

and sucks when you see someone like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute could be had for only two 2nd round picks...

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 11:15 PM
http://youtu.be/HDaFMZfIsV4

Everytime I see the Spurs keep Bonner around I think of this

Thomas82

I especially agree with that last sentence.

spurraider21

So as it stands now, the expiration of Jackson's contract was merely a money saving tool for Holt and not cap relief that could strengthen the team. We theoretically could have made these identical moves with that contract on board

Bruno
and sucks when you see someone like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute could be had for only two 2nd round picks...

Good remark, Spurs could have been the team getting Mbah-A-Moute in a salary dump instead of Sacramento in that scenario.

spurraider21
07-09-2013, 11:17 PM
You know what, though, we thought last offseason was boring and look at the strides we made during the 12-13 season.

Chinook
07-09-2013, 11:19 PM

I said the same thing in another thread. It's like the team got caught between trying to use cap space (stashing the pick and letting Neal go) and staying over the cap (keeping Bonner and using the MLE). They've also showed curious timing with their contracts, especially with Neal. All in all, I'm pretty confused. I expect to see a trade soon, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them do something crazy like trade Diaw for another two-guard.

Knoxxx
07-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Like I said the weirdness of it all makes me think spurs have a couple or more cia tricks in store. Unfathomable we would only run a $60 million payroll. I think once we committed $16 million to bringing back Manu and Splitter cap room was out of the picture and it was full mle and incoming/outgoing sign and trades strategy. We will see soon enough.

Ron Swanson
07-09-2013, 11:21 PM
So, what the hell are we going to do with all of these guards?

ThaBigFundamental21
07-09-2013, 11:26 PM
I get the feeling something big is going down....something very big.

spurraider21
07-09-2013, 11:29 PM

like the league's first 5 guard lineup? we're gna go so small miami's gna have to bench lebron :lol

Ron Swanson
07-09-2013, 11:29 PM
I get the feeling something big is going down in your avatar... something very big.

TheGoldStandard
07-09-2013, 11:32 PM
I get the feeling something big is going down in your avatar... something very big.

Going up

Ron Swanson
07-09-2013, 11:34 PM
That too. :lol

TheGoldStandard
like the league's first 5 guard lineup? we're gna go so small miami's gna have to bench lebron :lol

:pop:: Magic Johnson was 6'9, Matt Bonner is 6'9... say hello to my new Point Guard.

Marcus Bryant
Spurs keep the team together that was 30 seconds away and add Bellinelli. There are worse things.

Anyways, we are assuming McDonald has Pendergraph's contract details correct and that the Spurs aren't amnestying Bonner. Could very well be the plan if they can't move him.

Ron Swanson
07-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Good point.

eDizzle20
07-09-2013, 11:50 PM
I can't say that I understood a whole lot what the Spurs did this offseason. Both Tiago and Manu wanted to comeback and looking at what other free agents received their salaries were reasonable. However, the Spurs did not address their need for a backup point guard that can run the pick n roll. Joseph, Mills, and De Colo are all guys that get them into their offense as opposed to running it. There is no backup small forward for Kawhi (I don't consider Belinelli a small forward) and the rebounding hasn't improved with their additions. At this point I just hope the Spurs are able to sign Oden. It's probably the only time a team is going to find a big as skilled as Oden for cheap, even if his knees are shot.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Further, we are assuming that Kirilenko is even willing to sign with the Spurs for what they could offer.

Spurs had their targets, made calls, assessed who was available, then acted accordingly.

For those of you jumping off the cliff, get some perspective. In the summer of 1992, the Spurs passed on a trade of Willie A and Terry Cummings for Charles Barkley. Later that summer, Rod Strickland walked in free agency and Terry Cummings blew out his knee. And the Spurs hired Jerry Tarkanian as their head coach. And Trader Bob signed Vincent Del Negro from the Italian League.

The Spurs could've had the following starting lineup in 1992-93:

1 Strickland
2 Ellis (Dale not LJ)
3 Elliott
4 Barkley
5 Robinson

Instead Red McCombs and Trader Bob managed to waste more years of DRob's prime and that season in particular was finished off by a Barkley jumper over DRob at the top of the key in the last game in Hemisfair Arena.

Keep this in mind the next time your ass is whining about this being the worst offseason ever. Damn.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2013, 12:05 AM
And Holt Cat is light years ahead of McCombs as a NBA team owner. McCombs was so effing juvenile and clueless, yet thought he knew basketball. He was Jerry Jones before Jerry Jones, well actually he was worse than Jones. At least a team Jones owned won something before he shat all over it with his brilliance.

McCombs actually sat court side at Strickland's first game back after leaving in free agency holding a homemade poster board sign with "Rod, I'm sorry. - Red" which apparently was meant to be humorous.

That joker is lauded as some kind of hero in SA for keeping the Spurs in SA but the best thing for the team and the city he ever did was to step away from the franchise.

Libri
07-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Further, we are assuming that Kirilenko is even willing to sign with the Spurs for what they could offer.

Spurs had their targets, made calls, assessed who was available, then acted accordingly.

For those of you jumping off the cliff, get some perspective. In the summer of 1992, the Spurs passed on a trade of Willie A and Terry Cummings for Charles Barkley. Later that summer, Rod Strickland walked in free agency and Terry Cummings blew out his knee. And the Spurs hired Jerry Tarkanian as their head coach. And Trader Bob signed Vincent Del Negro from the Italian League.

1 Strickland
2 Ellis (Dale not LJ)
3 Elliott
4 Barkley
5 Robinson

Instead Red McCombs and Trader Bob managed to waste more years of DRob's prime and that season in particular was finished off by a Barkley jumper over DRob at the top of the key in the last game in Hemisfair Arena.

Keep this in mind the next time your ass is whining about this being the worst offseason ever. Damn.

:tu

elmanutres
07-10-2013, 12:12 AM

1 Strickland
2 Ellis (Dale not LJ)
3 Elliott
4 Barkley
5 Robinson

wow we could've gotten a prime barkley? holy shit. Wonder if tha team could've beaten jordan in his absolute prime though

Russo21
07-10-2013, 05:56 AM
:wow Lakers paying 30 million tax for this season. Bloody hell

benefactor
07-10-2013, 06:02 AM
They will amnesty MWP to stay out of the tax. It's already been announced.

boutons_deux
07-10-2013, 06:35 AM

And ST wannabe-GMs will not even be close, as always. :lol

toki9
07-10-2013, 02:45 PM

According to USA Today, there were 6 tax payers for this season (but what's really crazy is that the Nets are projected to pay about $70 million in tax next season given their current roster payroll projection of about $98 mil: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/07/10/nba-salary-cap-luxury-tax-brooklyn-nets-high-tax-bill/2505287/ ).

But for this past season, the payers were:

Los Angeles Lakers: $29,259,739
Miami Heat: $13,346,242
Brooklyn Nets: $12,883,647
New York Knicks: $9,962,406
Chicago Bulls: $3,932,336
Boston Celtics: $1,181,640.

ThaBigFundamental21
07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
And ST wannabe-GMs will not even be close, as always. :lol

LMAO, you are correct there. But hey, the fun is speculating. I hate it when people start presenting their ideas as what the Spurs "should" do, and then get defensive if you think their ideas suck.