PDA

View Full Version : What grade do u give Spurs offseason so far?

noles1983
07-11-2013, 09:59 PM
D-

Some scrub frenchie drafted that will never come over :lol
Turnobili 7 mil? :lol
Splitter... :lol
Some dude named Pendergraph?:lol
Keeping Bonner :lol
Having like 8 guards :lol
Whiffing on AK :lol
Still no legit backup PG :lol

TXstbobcat
07-11-2013, 10:27 PM
C+

i am glad the spurs resigned Splitter and I liked the contract they gave him.
i like the Belineli signing.
I'm glad Manu resigned.
Don't know much about Pendergraph but hope he can help.

ElNono
07-11-2013, 10:27 PM
B+

baseline bum
07-11-2013, 10:29 PM
B

Getting Splitter and Ginobili back at a reasonable price was good, but they really needed a backup point guard and didn't get it done

TheGoldStandard
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
C

hooperflash
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
B

Spursfan092120
07-11-2013, 10:34 PM
B. 28 seconds away from the Championship. Kept the core, Kawhi will be even better. Signed a high quality shooter. Needed a backup PG...no dice on that one, unfortunately. But overall, not horrible.

DesignatedT
C

DPG21920
C-

look_at_g_shred
07-11-2013, 10:36 PM
B

Floyd Pacquiao
07-11-2013, 10:37 PM
C

Sean Cagney
07-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Even C.....

Robz4000
07-11-2013, 10:42 PM
C-

Spurs should be about the same (maybe a little worse with Tim and Manu bringing less to the table), but they had a huge opportunity to get better and failed to do so.

Sean Cagney
07-11-2013, 10:44 PM
C-

Spurs should be about the same (maybe a little worse with Tim and Manu bringing less to the table), but they had a huge opportunity to get better and failed to do so.

THey won't be worse because a few like Kawhi and Joseph and a few should get better, but offseason moves yeah they could have done more IMO than bring in another guard (Better than Neal but let NEAL GO) and a backup BIG who is a project right now IMO. They really had other needs like backup SF and PG, neither addressed.

Baam
07-11-2013, 10:44 PM
C

Weak offseason, seems like they got too exicted and blew their load signing scrubs and didn't get anyone that'd make a difference.

Robz4000
07-11-2013, 10:46 PM
THey won't be worse because a few like Kawhi and Joseph and a few should get better, but offseason moves yeah they could have done more IMO than bring in another guard (Better than Neal but let NEAL GO) and a backup BIG who is a project right now IMO. They really had other needs like backup SF and PG, neither addressed.

It's not guaranteed that Kawhi and CoJo improve enough to hide Tim and Manu being a year older tbh.

TheGoldStandard
07-11-2013, 10:51 PM
It's not guaranteed that Kawhi and CoJo improve enough to hide Tim and Manu being a year older tbh.

remember time stands still for the Spurs.

Sean Cagney

Tim I hope should be fine and have another good year, but as you said I won't count on it. Manu was horrible last year most of it later and in the playoffs, so a falloff is not possible from that is it? I hope others can pick up his slack like last year, he needs a different role on the team. You are right getting better is not a given and how much if they get better? Will Baynes learn the system and play? Alot of questions there. Will BELI be any good here? If so he can help alot in Manus place with some mins.

TheyCallMePro
B

Spurs like Splitter. He fits with their system. We couldn't have gotten anybody better anyways.

Ginobili was always going to re-sign with the Spurs. And I knew the Spurs wouldn't disrespect him with a cheap contract. And can you honestly say that we would be better without him? Come on.

Love Marco Belleneli. He's going to fit into our system perfectly. Great pick-up.

Also love Pendergraph. 6'9 guy who can shoot outside and has a lot of athleticism. Definitely an improvement over Blair.

dbestpro
07-11-2013, 11:34 PM
B

Getting Ginobili back at a reasonable price was good,

:lmao

dallasmaverickslose
D-

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:c ry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

That's all I hear.

poeticism707
F- for me.

Spurs had legit cap space for the first time in forever, and what do they do?!?

Give 7m a year to the scrubbiest, injured, turnover prone player on your team who's 36, and who just singelhandedly cost TD his 5th ring, and his fourth Finals MVP.

Spurs are the ultimate joke for this.

Russo21
07-11-2013, 11:39 PM
F- for me.

Give 7m a year to the scrubbiest, injured, turnover prone player on your team who's 36, and who just singelhandedly cost TD his 5th ring, and his fourth Finals MVP.

Spurs are the ultimate joke for this. Agree

dallasmaverickslose
07-11-2013, 11:41 PM
F- for me.

Spurs are the ultimate joke for this.

Pretty sure the other 28 teams in the league that didn't make it to the finals would love to take the Spurs' place as the "ultimate joke."

tesseractive
07-11-2013, 11:43 PM
C

Didn't move the needle much either way. Didn't get any obvious bargains or get robbed. Tried for more but didn't get it done, but at least avoided shooting themselves in the foot in the process.

Of course, this is before we see how Pendergraph and Belinelli perform (or see what happens with Jean-Charles). If one of them turns out to be a pivotal playoff performer for cheap, then it looks like a much better summer.

tesseractive
07-11-2013, 11:43 PM
DP

Keepin' it real
07-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Straight up A.

They kept the core of a championship level team intact. Plus they added another shooter and interesting prospect in Pendergraph.

Get ready for another DEEP playoff run, although many of you malcontents don't deserve to enjoy it.

Russo21
07-11-2013, 11:44 PM
D-

+1

Russo21
07-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Manu 7 million and AK gets 3? :lmao

tesseractive
07-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Straight up A.

They kept the core of a championship level team intact. Plus they added another shooter and interesting prospect in Pendergraph.

Get ready for another DEEP playoff run, although many of you malcontents don't deserve to enjoy it.

So if they get an A just got doing the obvious and bringing in some minor players, how would you grade a summer where they make significant, obvious improvements?

tesseractive
07-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Straight up A.

So if they get an A just got doing the obvious and bringing in some minor players, how would you grade a summer where they make significant, obvious improvements?

Sobe_Kucks
07-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Pretty sure the other 28 teams in the league that didn't make it to the finals would love to take the Spurs' place as the "ultimate joke."
This... Tbh
Solid C+ to B-

KL2
07-11-2013, 11:52 PM
F

The Spurs didn't add anything to help them beat Miami, while they brought back the two worst players from the series, overpaying for them as well. This was the perfect opportunity to win and they blew it (well Manu did) Green setting an NBA Finals record for 3's, Duncan having a great year, Parker being a top 3 player, role players hitting shots, EVERYBODY was playing in the finals. Hell, even the reffing was good!

This was one of the few times SA didn't get fucked by the refs, what do you think the chances are of that happening again?

Keepin' it real

There's a saying: if it aint broke, don't fix it. Props to the Spurs for not overhauling a well-oiled machine.

Duncan2177
C

Bruno
07-11-2013, 11:56 PM
C-

Spurs were in a good salary cap situation and they didn't take advantage of it to improve their team so it's a disappointing offseason. Saying that, I can't give them a worst grade because they basically bring back a team that reach the finales.

Ditty
07-12-2013, 12:07 AM
B-

Ginobili's contract could of been a little better but I feel he will stay healthy all year & have one of his best seasonsin his career.

Was really hoping for AK47, and would of been a straight up "A" if we got him.

Got rid of dead weight in Dejuan Blair & Tracy Mcgrady, while we replaced them with two players that hate the Heat also, and want to get some revenge themselves & may have some inside information if we play the Bulls or Pacers if we make it to the finals.

Still don't think the offseason is over as I think after summer league they will shop one of Joseph or De Colo along with Bonner's expering contract, and Baynes to possibly get a back up small forward, small ball 4. If not I could see the Spurs trying it again at the trade deadline whoever is struggling the most they will trade that player.

Still see them signing Greg Oden also.

playblair
07-12-2013, 12:12 AM
:wakeup

Andthentherewas21
07-12-2013, 12:27 AM
C

Its hard to fault the FO too much for the contracts Splitter and Manu received given some of the other contracts that have gone out this offseason and the fact that the team was a missed rebound/made FT away from a ring. However, as many have said before, its not reasonable or fair to expect the same production from Duncan next season and without it the Spurs needed to sure up some help.

I actually think Marco will benefit quite a bit from the Spurs system and the Pendergraph signing theoretically should help reduce Tim's minutes. However, its not really known how Pendergraph will pan out, and while a summer of rest might rejuvenate Manu, its clear that time and a long career of basketball have started taking its toll on him. The spurs still don't have a true backup SF for Kawhi despite the fact he was suffering from health issues for most of the season and was asked to still play +35 minutes a game. There is still no designated backup PG or anyone off the bench that can both facilitate the offense and create their own shot (other than Manu but again he has lost a step or two and given his penchant for injuries the last few seasons, I'm not sure you can really rely on him).

Mugshot
07-12-2013, 12:29 AM
C

Rogue
07-12-2013, 12:39 AM
blowing money for Splitter will turn out to be a failure imho. Splitter is a decent role player but he's still just a role player, and we all witnessed how awful he looked out there on the court without Duncan.

TheGoldStandard
07-12-2013, 12:40 AM
blowing money for Splitter will turn out to be a failure imho. Splitter is a decent role player but he's still just a role player, and we all witnessed how awful he looked out there on the court without Duncan.

There were players that put up similar numbers that took far less but some love Splitter because he was the first legit big the Spurs brought in and there is a love affair for loyalty

fleggy2k2
07-12-2013, 12:42 AM
C. I consider this an avg offseason for the Spurs and by definition, that's a C.

timvp
07-12-2013, 12:48 AM
Inc.

apalisoc_9
07-12-2013, 12:58 AM
After seeing what the nets offered kirilinko, it was clear kirilienko did not want to play for the spurs regardless. They did what they felt is the best for the team, sadly, some crazy Russian had to ruin it for us. For the Back up PG, they believe in Joseph enough not to do anything about it. I think Joseph is still a huge question mark and my guess they're giving him till January to see if he'd be able to carry the back up PG duties. The Splitter deal was fair. I wanted something like 12/2 in 2 for Manu, still a good signing though.

Overall I'd give it a B+ so far.

Getting a backup small ball PF or a SF should make it an A.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-12-2013, 01:00 AM
D

They screwed the pooch with their cap space

StoneBuddha
07-12-2013, 01:04 AM
D+ / C-.

Bruno
07-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Inc.

You reasonably think Spurs will do another significant move?

Tim_duncan21
07-12-2013, 01:06 AM
B

The back up point guard has not yet been addressed so far. The Splitter and Manu signing is not bad but a bit higher than the should be price.

HarlemHeat37
07-12-2013, 01:16 AM
C

Manu's contract is neutral to me, tbh..it appears that both sides were content with the number and it didn't affect their off-season plans, or at least it doesn't seem like it from all the comments, etc..obviously a lower number would have been ideal..

Splitter got fair value, tbh..he was one of the top 15 or so defensive bigs in the league this year, despite having pussy lips, tbh..

Belinelli and Neal are a wash, and if they decide to keep both, Beli is obviously an upgrade over De Colo or Mills, tbh..I don't know if it was worth it, though..

I like Pendergraph as a potential 4th big, we'll see..

It appears that the Spurs are confident that Leonard will take the next step, Joseph will progress and there aren't any dominant teams in the NBA at the moment(especially with the only other team in the West that was on the Spurs level last year losing Martin)..

I agree with Bruno, though..it's a shame that the Spurs haven't made a move, a notable move with their cap space could have put the Spurs ahead of the rest of the league IMO..

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2013, 01:28 AM
B-

Ginobili's contract could of been a little better but I feel he will stay healthy all year & have one of his best seasonsin his career.

Was really hoping for AK47, and would of been a straight up "A" if we got him.

Got rid of dead weight in Dejuan Blair & Tracy Mcgrady, while we replaced them with two players that hate the Heat also, and want to get some revenge themselves & may have some inside information if we play the Bulls or Pacers if we make it to the finals.

Still don't think the offseason is over as I think after summer league they will shop one of Joseph or De Colo along with Bonner's expering contract, and Baynes to possibly get a back up small forward, small ball 4. If not I could see the Spurs trying it again at the trade deadline whoever is struggling the most they will trade that player.

Still see them signing Greg Oden also.

Agree with everything up to the Greg Oden part.

There are worse things than standing pat, but the expiring contracts and the surfeit of guards give us ammunition to make a resonable trade, and the minimal cap and roster space don't exclude the possibility of a SL signing. No marquee signings, true, but nothing obviously stupid yet, and frankly, we haven't had the best of luck when we've secured marquee talent in the first place. Could we have done better? Unequivocally yes. But things could be much worse, too, so...

C+

Texas_Ranger
07-12-2013, 01:30 AM
C-

blkroadrunners
07-12-2013, 01:33 AM
It's still a WIP, but right now I'd say a B-.

timvp
07-12-2013, 01:41 AM
You reasonably think Spurs will do another significant move?

I think it's entirely possible. The front office has the green light to spend all the way up to the luxury threshold so that is still a ton of wiggle room remaining. IMO, it's too early to say this offseason is over when they still have some flexibility and a roster that could use some balancing out.

lurker23
07-12-2013, 01:48 AM
It's a solid B-. They re-signed the guys they needed to, at reasonable (expected) deals. They got solid additions in Pendergraph and Belinelli, and it sounds like they're going to keep Neal for flexibility's sake in the future. They didn't address one of their key holes in backup SF, but they have enough assets to address that via trade during the season. Could have moved up to a B+ if they got a veteran 3/4, or an A if they got a bigger name like Kirilenko, but it's not for lack of trying.

DapDaGenius
07-12-2013, 02:20 AM
L.

SA210
07-12-2013, 02:50 AM
F-

Simply for keeping Bonner. That alone warrants an F-

slick'81
07-12-2013, 02:53 AM
C needed AK47 miracle to flirt with a b whole Lotta meh there

HI-FI
07-12-2013, 03:16 AM
C+, possibly able to become a B+ or higher based on rest of season.

Wasn't happy with Manu's deal, but I think we got a steal with Belineli and I think he'll flourish like never before with us, truly believe that. this Teddy Pendergrass guy (stole that from timvp) looks real interesting. if the ACL injury is not a concern at all, then I have to feel there is something there that the new coach is willing to stand behind.

Not even mad at retaining Neal for the time being. Guy is the ultimate professional/merc and I think if we hold onto him for awhile or use him as trade bait, he'll continue to work hard.

I would've loved to make a move for AK47 but seeing what happened with the Nyets, I realize we can't counter that type of shady shit, so perhaps in the long run we are better off without him.

I can't complain too much, I think our FO wanted to establish stability and consistency while keeping flexibility. Perhaps nothing blew them away at the present and are patient in waiting for better options. I think after the heartbreak of the FInals we wanted some killer offseason, but perhaps there was nothing that impressive at the moment.

Bong
07-12-2013, 03:33 AM
as a GNSF ill give em an A, they have just signed all core players in our run for the championship (although unluckily we failed), we have already the chemistry so ruining it by adding up big time free agents would certainly destroy the spurs chemistry (just take a look at the lakers this season: they added steve nash and D.howard and the result was just winning 40+ games in regular season barely making the playoff and being swept at the playoff)

when manu and splitter names were mentioned you always thought how they play awfully in a few games; but don't remember there heroics in the regular season, playoff, semifinals and western conference finals, it's like judging them in 1 games without seeing how great they play in more than 10 other games (you all just see the bad not the good)

Johnny RIngo
07-12-2013, 03:34 AM
C+, possibly able to become a B+ or higher based on rest of season.

Wasn't happy with Manu's deal, but I think we got a steal with Belineli and I think he'll flourish like never before with us, truly believe that. this Teddy Pendergrass guy (stole that from timvp) looks real interesting. if the ACL injury is not a concern at all, then I have to feel there is something there that the new coach is willing to stand behind.

Not even mad at retaining Neal for the time being. Guy is the ultimate professional/merc and I think if we hold onto him for awhile or use him as trade bait, he'll continue to work hard.

I would've loved to make a move for AK47 but seeing what happened with the Nyets, I realize we can't counter that type of shady shit, so perhaps in the long run we are better off without him.

I can't complain too much, I think our FO wanted to establish stability and consistency while keeping flexibility. Perhaps nothing blew them away at the present and are patient in waiting for better options. I think after the heartbreak of the FInals we wanted some killer offseason, but perhaps there was nothing that impressive at the moment.

Can't really be mad at Neal. Not a good player at all but, considering his limitations, he handles the backup PG role better than DeColo or Patty. I'm more angry at the front office for wasting their time on players that are either clearly not NBA calibre(DeColo - go back to Europe you POS) or just don't fit this team(Mills).

Baseline
07-12-2013, 03:40 AM
D+. But that's only because Belinelli is a good signing for the money he got. It was a sensible deal. Unlike Manu's deal, which was ludicrous.

Baseline
07-12-2013, 03:45 AM
And we still have Pop, who nobody ever questions or second-guesses. Guess what. Any genius he's ever accredited with is due to Tim Duncan. But because Pop is above reproach, it means that if we're 28 seconds away from a title next year, he sits Tim again. It wasn't forgivable then, and won't be forgivable the next time.

Johnny RIngo
07-12-2013, 03:52 AM
And we still have Pop, who nobody ever questions or second-guesses. Guess what. Any genius he's ever accredited with is due to Tim Duncan. But because Pop is above reproach, it means that if we're 28 seconds away from a title next year, he sits Tim again. It wasn't forgivable then, and won't be forgivable the next time.

It is ridiculous how much credit Pop gets from the media/message boards. This is a guy that's been Phil Jackson's bitch his entire career. This is a guy that was outcoached by Avery fucking Johnson when he had homecourt advantage and the best player in the NBA playing out of his mind.

Spursfanfromafar
07-12-2013, 04:13 AM
I hope the offseason hasn't ended. If it has, it is a disappointing end. I think the Spurs could have used some risk/timing to get Kirilenko instead of the wishy-washy moves for Belinelli/Pendergraph.

That said, one can only be disappointed that much. I do think even as currently constructed, the Spurs will contend.

Pity if Kirilenko was around, they would have been one of the favorites.

admiralsnackbar
07-12-2013, 04:18 AM
It is ridiculous how much credit Pop gets from the media/message boards. This is a guy that's been Phil Jackson's bitch his entire career. This is a guy that was outcoached by Avery fucking Johnson when he had homecourt advantage and the best player in the NBA playing out of his mind.

OK.

Russo21
07-12-2013, 04:36 AM
It is ridiculous how much credit Pop gets from the media/message boards. This is a guy that's been Phil Jackson's bitch his entire career. This is a guy that was outcoached by Avery fucking Johnson when he had homecourt advantage and the best player in the NBA playing out of his mind. +1 Most over-rated coach in History. Tim Duncan is the first and last reason we have been as successful as we have been. It is because of Pop we haven't been as successful as we should have been.

Texas_Ranger
07-12-2013, 05:53 AM
the problem is that we didn't improve a bit and we still don't have a backup SF. The grade should be also smaller just cause they didn't release Bonner. I do think Kawhi will become better this season, but Manu is declining and Tim is pretty old. With 20M they could have done a lot better.

and LOL @ probably 8 guards and still no one knows who's the backup PG.

Capt Bringdown
07-12-2013, 05:59 AM
F
The Manu signing is a catastrophe. Spurs needed to do turn the page. Instead, they rewarded failure.

TrainOfThought5
07-12-2013, 06:18 AM
F
The Manu signing is a catastrophe. Spurs needed to do turn the page. Instead, they rewarded failure.

purist
07-12-2013, 06:27 AM
I don't think you can assign a true grade until next year after you what the results of the signings are. Otherwise everything is purely speculative. However I think they did well to keep core in tact unlike other teams that like to play musical chairs with players but don't win.

Raven
07-12-2013, 06:35 AM
F-, they blew it, period.

objective
07-12-2013, 06:43 AM
I agree with Bruno

I had this offseason as a C- before even opening the thread. The moves have been made, giving an incomplete isn't justified. So even if they sign-and-trade Blair for a top 55 protected 2nd, who cares? The roster is finished, all they might do is keep the 15th slot open for a summer league standout or training camp straggler, it doesn't matter because the 15th won't improve the team.

All they did was keep the same roster and make no moves towards improvement. Their weaknesses are the same. And of course other teams actually made moves to get better, some a lot better.

Belinelli is a lateral move from Neal. Pendergraph is a 5th big who only serves to obstruct Baynes. Pendergraph was given plenty of chances to overtake Mahinmi in the Pacers rotation, and wasn't good enough to even do that. Mahinmi who most here would swear up and down is a scrub who doesn't belong in the NBA, that same Mahinmi made Pendergraph look so bad the Pacers wouldn't even give him a tender. Locking up Pendergraph with an agreement before the moratorium is even over just seems bizarre. Not even giving themselves the opportunity to pick up cap casualties with what remained of the MLE.

Realistically, this was the last chance to improve the roster via capspace in the Duncan years. Even with the ending contracts next summer, Spurs won't have any more space than the MLE and LLE. It's sad, really.

Even while retaining important pieces like Splitter and Manu, this offseason is a disappointment that in years to come may appear more as a failure.

Russo21
07-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Worst offseason ever. For a team that supposedly does more with less, this offseason we did less with way more. Just terrible.

dbestpro
07-12-2013, 07:25 AM
I would say its Inc. Ending the reign of the turd towers has finally come to pass. That alone is a form of success. Replacing it with 8 guards is a head scratcher.

To me, the question on how successful the off season is rests on the shoulders of the physical play of Baynes and Pendergraph. Both players must make their presence known. Pop needs to give Baynes as much time as possible. if he pans out, he actually makes Splitter a tradable asset. That 9 mil could go a long way to curing what ails this team.

So, they can get by at least through training camp and the first part of the season. Give Baynes 20 minutes a night. Make Splitter expendable (if you can) and then use that salary to go get the guy we need. AK47 by the way was not that guy. We need a younger player who can play both forward positions and help now and in the future when the team belongs to Leonard.

elemento
07-12-2013, 07:31 AM
C-

Keeping Manu and Splitter was a plus, but both were overpaid.

Keeping Bonner on a 4m contract was dumb.

They signed a good SG in Marco, but the team still lacks a reliable backup PG and Kawhi still has no backup (so, small-ball coming up).

mexicanjunior
07-12-2013, 07:59 AM
D...wasted a great opportunity to improve the team with cap space. Instead we be brought back the worst performers in the Finals at bloated prices and signed a lateral move shooting guard. Also, we wasted a first round pick on a foreign player that will not see court time in the Duncan era and Pendergraph will never crack the rotation ahead of Bonner, who will retire a Spur.

They did nothing to match up any better with Miami or a healthy OKC next year, I think we are in for a short playoff run.

TE
07-12-2013, 08:03 AM
B-

TE
07-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Could've been an A if we got AK-47. The only good thing that comes out of his decision to join the formed superteam in Brooklyn is that they make the East more top-heavy strong...Miami is really going to have difficulty getting to the finals if they don't get bigger. Relying on Lebron to do everything will take it's toll. Brooklyn has the pieces to hurt Miami outside and inside and they have players that can defend Miami's perimeter game well (Lebron).

spurspokesman
07-12-2013, 08:27 AM
C

Manu's contract is neutral to me, tbh..it appears that both sides were content with the number and it didn't affect their off-season plans, or at least it doesn't seem like it from all the comments, etc..obviously a lower number would have been ideal..

Splitter got fair value, tbh..he was one of the top 15 or so defensive bigs in the league this year, despite having pussy lips, tbh..

Belinelli and Neal are a wash, and if they decide to keep both, Beli is obviously an upgrade over De Colo or Mills, tbh..I don't know if it was worth it, though..

I like Pendergraph as a potential 4th big, we'll see..

It appears that the Spurs are confident that Leonard will take the next step, Joseph will progress and there aren't any dominant teams in the NBA at the moment(especially with the only other team in the West that was on the Spurs level last year losing Martin)..

I agree with Bruno, though..it's a shame that the Spurs haven't made a move, a notable move with their cap space could have put the Spurs ahead of the rest of the league IMO..
This.

mountainballer
07-12-2013, 08:53 AM
last time this board celebrated an A+ off season was in 2009, when the Spurs acquired a guy named Richard Jefferson.
so this board traditionally isn't very much on spot, when judging the Spurs offseason moves.
that said, I give a B and it isn't over yet.
keep a core intact is often easier said than done. (see Mavs 2011)

and Pendergraph will become another Danny Green story. book it.

coyotes_geek
07-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Meh. Need to see what happens with Blair and Neal first.

dbestpro
07-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Every time we talk about not getting a star player someone brings up Richard Jefferson as an example to never go after a star player, again. Using this logic we should never resign an ex-Spur, again (Jax).

Seventyniner
07-12-2013, 09:22 AM
last time this board celebrated an A+ off season was in 2009, when the Spurs acquired a guy named Richard Jefferson.
so this board traditionally isn't very much on spot, when judging the Spurs offseason moves.
that said, I give a B and it isn't over yet.

Well said. The jizzstorm over RJ in 2009 didn't help the team, and the meltdown after the WCF loss in 2012 didn't hurt it.

keep a core intact is often easier said than done. (see Mavs 2011)

Not quite applicable in this case; Manu was never a threat to leave and Splitter was restricted. The rest of the core was already under contract.

and Pendergraph will become another Danny Green story. book it.

Ok now you're reaching. :lol

SpursSerb
07-12-2013, 10:39 AM
I'll give it a C-.Belinelli and Pendergraph could become good asquisitions.But the Spurs basically blew their cap space and none of the major problems are resolved.No help for Tim in the paint,no back Sf,shitload of guards and we don't know who the backup pg is....It seems they've put all their eggs in one basket and that's Kirilenko in S&T.No wonder they failed.It could have been done much easier.

xmas1997
07-12-2013, 10:48 AM
C. Manus and Tiagos contracts are great and so are the two new guys.
Wish they would have gotten AK, but he was going to the Nets all along.
If they get Oden then I'll give them a B.
And if they also get a good SF, not another scrub or another guard, I'll give them an A.
But they kept Bonner, thus the C.

ducks
07-12-2013, 10:58 AM
B

Getting Splitter and Ginobili back at a reasonable price was good, but they really needed a backup point guard and didn't get it done

report out that blazers agreeded with splitter for 4 years 36 million
spurs decided to match and did not sign offer sheet

ace3g
07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Mike Monroe @Monroe_SA
(http://twitter.com/Monroe_SA).@tonyparker (http://twitter.com/tonyparker) commits to play for Les Bleus in Eurobasket in Slovenia in Sept., per FIBADaily bit.ly/12Joz3d (http://t.co/l4lqQ37Pwi)

Bruno
07-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Bruno can you confirm this:

Mike Monroe @Monroe_SA
(http://twitter.com/Monroe_SA).@tonyparker (http://twitter.com/tonyparker) commits to play for Les Bleus in Eurobasket in Slovenia in Sept., per FIBADaily bit.ly/12Joz3d (http://t.co/l4lqQ37Pwi)

He committed to the NT a long time ago alongside Diaw and De Colo. All 3 have been on the NT roster given 2/3 weeks ago.

Since the end of the season, Parker has been spotted at the Reunion (a french island in Indian Ocean), in France and he is in now in China. He seems to hate to just chill during the summer and has always this crazy schedules.

Brazil
07-12-2013, 01:00 PM
:cry

Brazil
07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
A++ thanks to the spurs FO I know better math... 1 Manu = 1,6 Beli

-21-
07-12-2013, 01:08 PM
B-

Considering this team almost won the championship, keeping it together isn't bad at all. Even if they had a couple of chances to improve significantly, I'm not upset about mostly staying pat and adding two solid players.

Sean Cagney
07-12-2013, 01:19 PM
B-

Considering this team almost won the championship, keeping it together isn't bad at all. Even if they had a couple of chances to improve significantly, I'm not upset about mostly staying pat and adding two solid players.Adding the two solid players will be bigger than most think IMO! Those two will be upgrades over Blair and Belli will take some good mins IMO from some people.

Mr Fundamental
07-12-2013, 01:23 PM
B

Budkin
07-12-2013, 01:25 PM
C+

vander
07-12-2013, 01:37 PM
F+

tesseractive
07-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Worst offseason ever. For a team that supposedly does more with less, this offseason we did less with way more. Just terrible.
Really? This was worse than giving RJ a monster contract? Worse than the monster Francisco Elson/Jackie Butler offseason? :rolleyes

07-12-2013, 01:45 PM
C-

:lol at lets just keep the team together because this team almost won the championship

1. The Spurs didn't even win the championship.
2. Spurs actually won the championship in 2007, kept the same team together and were slapped down in 2008. They were the actual champions yet failed to make it back to the finals. Logically, how will a team that ALMOST won the championship fare better than a team that actually won it all?
3. I doubt the Spurs will have a another lowest turnover game in finals history (tied at 4TOs). Also doubt Green will have another best 3 pt shooting in NBA finals history. Without those two flukes, Spurs win one or two games max.

Liked the Marco signing and glad the Spurs didn't overpay Splitter but that's pretty much it.

Stabula
07-12-2013, 03:27 PM
F
Hell, even the reffing was good!

This was one of the few times SA didn't get fucked by the refs, what do you think the chances are of that happening again?

If you remember the final moments of Game 6 in OT Manu got absolutely mobbed with no foul coul and Chris Bosh body-checked Danny Green at the 3 point line as the final seconds left the clock. Huge huge no-calls that could have been all the difference in OT.

elmanutres
07-12-2013, 03:38 PM
c+. was a bit disappointed in our underwhelming summer but we had some good signing so not all is totally bad. I mean it's not like the 92 summer when we didn't get chuck and chuck ended our season with a jumpshot in front of Robinsons face

spurraider21
07-12-2013, 03:45 PM
B+

how different would your sentiments be if 6 didn't happen? that said, Pendergraph isn't miserably undersized like Blair, Baynes should be able to work himself into rotation minutes. this squad had the chip were it not for 2 missed FT's and 2 offensive rebounds given up. i'm perfectly fine with letting the gang have another shot at it. if Flip wasn't a moron and S&T'ed AK47, i would have given the offseason an A+ though. some of you armchair GM's didn't want to bring back splitter and wanted to give big money to monta ellis instead.

push comes to shove and we still have a handful of decently sized expiring contracts, as well as an oversaturated roster (we've got about 14 guys that are good enough for rotation spots NOT including Neal), meaning we could easily combine 2-3 of them for a solid player near the deadline without compromising depth
Diaw - 4.7 (don't see him being traded barring a really good player being somehow available)
Bonner - 3.95
De Colo - 1.5
Mills - 1.1
Cojo - 1.1 million (with team option next year for 2 million. i think he's a keeper too)

so if Neal is brought back, we could conceivably deal bonner, de colo, mills for a team looking to salary dump a player worth around 6-7 million

rjv
07-12-2013, 03:57 PM
I

ohmwrecker
07-12-2013, 04:04 PM
B-

Sure. Manu is probably making too much, but getting Belinelli on the cheap makes that a wash. I am not convinced that the Spurs could have p/u a FA big as good as Splitter for less than they spent on their starting center. I also believe what they paid him was fair market value. Pendergraph is a great p/u if you take him for what he is . . . Blair's replacement. Not getting AK47 was disappointing, but it wasn't for a lack of effort on the FO's part.
Anyone who's been a Spurs fan for any ammount of time should know that this is a pretty typical, if not slightly better than average, Spurs offseason. There are no guarantees that if they had replaced Manu and Splitter, that those players would have worked out or fit the system and sometimes the best move is to stick with what is working and try to improve with the core that is the the first Spurs squad to reach the finals in six years.
Ask Mavfan if they think it was a good idea to let Tyson Chandler go, or OKC if swapping Harden for Martin was a good idea . . .

Oh . . . and before I forget, . . . Spurs fans suck.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2013, 04:09 PM
I give them an Incomplete.

Its really tough to gauge this offseason but I lean toward it being a below average one for the Spurs. Our draft really smells a lot like the year we got Ian Mahimni. We got a young guy who's largely an enigma. Time will tell but I'm not optimistic, honestly. But, to be fair there was really no one who stood out as a game changer at that point and late first rounders are anything but guaranteed pics.

Free agency seems mediocre but the only guy I thought would really help the Spurs was AK. And after he signed for 3 fucking million I'm not sure what to think about that whole situation. Keeping Tiago is likely a good move. As much as he pisses me off at times he does help Duncan quite a bit and he's largely a reason for the Spurs success against team's like Memphis. The Manu signing seems expensive and I'm not optimistic he'll produce at a high level but I wasn't optimistic about Duncan playing at the level he did last year either.

Its just too hard to guage this offseason because its so weird. Only time will tell.

DrSteffo
07-12-2013, 04:10 PM
B-/C+ so far. Some minor upgrades maybe.

rascal
07-12-2013, 07:49 PM
F did not improve the roster where it needed to be improved. Over paid both Manu and Splitter. I didn't care if either of those two even came back.
No upgrade on the frontline no backup pg. Nothing that will help next year from the draft.

Libri
07-12-2013, 08:24 PM
D so far.

Kidd K
07-12-2013, 10:19 PM
C

They basically didn't do anything besides keep Splitter (at basically max price) and overpay for a guy who wasn't going anywhere. They made a lateral move with Belinelli and imo drafted forgettably. We won't know how the picks will turn out, but right now it's a very average postseason. Can't give it any more than a C tbh. The last 4 offseasons were better for SA.

Russo21
07-12-2013, 11:11 PM
F did not improve the roster where it needed to be improved. Over paid both Manu and Splitter. I didn't care if either of those two even came back.
No upgrade on the frontline no backup pg. Nothing that will help next year from the draft. Bingo F- But some Pop/RC Homers in here think otherwise and think they can do no wrong

chapnis
07-13-2013, 08:27 AM
B+

playbonner15
07-13-2013, 08:40 AM
A+ just for keeping Bonner

Taking it to the Hole
07-13-2013, 12:14 PM
The Spurs improved during the off-season but not as much as they could have. I personally would have liked to see Tiago take a walk but it is what it is. I would rate it at a B-. If the current pieces were good enough to beat Miami, any additional improvements should ensure success against them. The Spurs can play with Miami , that is not the problem. The only concern for our team and it has been the same one for a long time, is just staying healthy. If we do that this year, you cannot rule out another run back to the Finals. Duncan doesn't have to carry us every game, nor does TP, because we now have role players that have gained valuable experience in the postseason and are ready to contribute more this season. We added some good pieces with potential to contribute and whose to say the Spurs are done trying to improve the team? We are the defending Western Conference champions this year and really there are not that many teams out there in the West that can beat the Spurs in a best of 7 series. There are a few but not many.

BackHome
07-13-2013, 01:41 PM
C- We still have no backup PG and no backup SF

Chomag
07-13-2013, 07:02 PM
My score is based on potential C+

They had allot of money to work with this off-season and they missed so many opportunities. Thankfully Spurs are still a great team but this off-season was a wash.

spursnatic
07-14-2013, 07:24 PM
C-.. Keep reading this BS on ESPN about: SPURS Re Sign Splitter after Career Year?..What the fuck is that about?..He still has a shitload of stuff to work on before saying that..The only thing he had go up was Free Throw%..Other than that, had it not been for TP and Ginobili's good penetration and Great passing to him wide open under the basket..He wouldn't be shit..I think it was a horrible move giving him 9 mil a year..Ginobili's 7 mil a year doesn't bother me too much, yet he could've taken a tad bit less..But that said, he has already proven himself despite the inconsistent Finals debut..Belinelli was a great addition..And he did it while taking a significant cut in pay..Pendergraph, we will have to see how he pans out?...Although wish we could've locked up AK47 before giving Pen his Contract..Still a few available Free Agents out there..Would take Artest on the cheap, just for Defensive purposes..Whip him into Great shape and could be a steal?..He can still shoot a bit, plus for what we would need outta him don't really have to rely on that shot..Kinda like the Bruce Bowen affect, just hit them while your open play good D and Win games..Now one other thing I am waiting to see is what happens with the Wizards interest for Blair?..I would love a Bonner, Blair for Ariza trade..Ariza hasn't been the Ariza the Lakers had back then..But I believe giving the right circumstance he could evolve back o that player we seen in 2010..Keep Neal, add a backup PG and we will be good going into next year!!!...

superbigtime
07-14-2013, 08:52 PM
D

Unimpressive. Missed opportunities. Overpaying Manu obviously. Splitter too. Bonner still here with opportunity to shed him lost. Haven't filled needs. Pendergraph? What is that some geologic device?

AFBlue
07-14-2013, 08:54 PM
D-

Only thing that saved it from an F is Beli.

Agloco
07-14-2013, 10:27 PM
:lol at lets just keep the team together because this team almost won the championship

What moves would you have made?

Spurs actually won the championship in 2007, kept the same team together and were slapped down in 2008. They were the actual champions yet failed to make it back to the finals. Logically, how will a team that ALMOST won the championship fare better than a team that actually won it all?

Because each year and each team is different? Maybe? Attempting to compare various teams chances against one another across the years is a fools errand.

I doubt the Spurs will have a another lowest turnover game in finals history (tied at 4TOs). Also doubt Green will have another best 3 pt shooting in NBA finals history. Without those two flukes, Spurs win one or two games max.

I doubt that Shane Battier goes 6-8 on threes in the final game of the NBA Finals again. Also doubt that Ray Allen and Mike Miller combine to shoot 58% from three again. Chalmers was the leading scorer in Game 2 and the Heat still won. Etc, etc....

But by all means, lets keep talking about fluke performances. This finals had more of them than any in recent memory.

Liked the Marco signing and glad the Spurs didn't overpay Splitter but that's pretty much it.

Agree about Splitter. Bellineli we shall see.

therealtruth
07-15-2013, 10:53 AM
I doubt that Shane Battier goes 6-8 on threes in the final game of the NBA Finals again. Also doubt that Ray Allen and Mike Miller combine to shoot 58% from three again. Chalmers was the leading scorer in Game 2 and the Heat still won. Etc, etc....

But by all means, lets keep talking about fluke performances. This finals had more of them than any in recent memory.

Battier was due to start knocking some shots down after missing so many. Alot of Miller's shots were wide open and Ray Allen is one of the best 3pt shooters ever.

dunkman
07-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Срање кроз густо грање, тбх . . .

Agloco
07-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Battier was due to start knocking some shots down after missing so many. Alot of Miller's shots were wide open and Ray Allen is one of the best 3pt shooters ever.

58%....let that percolate.

sexinthatsx
07-15-2013, 11:24 PM
B

Spurs were able to retain Boris Diaw and Splitter, which was pretty huge for the team. Also, the signing of Jeff Pendergraph and Marco Belinelli covered two voids: a player who can actually play the PF position while Splitter plays on C, and a pretty good passer in Marco Belinelli that can hit 3's.

Most importantly, Spurs drafted a scorer in Deshaun Thomas in the second round, which was a steal. I know it'll be hard for Thomas to get a roster spot, but one of the glaring holes was the ablity for players to create their own shot. Through 3 sumemr league games, Thomas has shown a tendency to create his own shots, which is what the Spurs essentially needed.

concan1
07-16-2013, 03:50 PM
C-

Bellini is a good get
Not Getting a point guard will come back to haunt Spurs Joseph/NDC not the answer.
Jury still out on Pendergaph

And god dammit Bonner is worthless and needs to go!!!!!!

ace3g
07-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Still don't have a grade yet, but more of a C+ now that I've seen some of the potential in Deshaun Thomas

TheGreatYacht
07-16-2013, 04:17 PM
D- so far.

Spurs wasted a ton of cap space in resigning Splitter (which is reasonable because of the Portland offer), Manu, and not getting rid of Matt Bonner. Manu was the one that shi* the finals the most therefore he was the one who was supposed to take the biggest pay cut. A $6-$8M contract for two years would have been more reasonable.

The FO jumped the gun by wasting their MLE on Belineli and Pendergraph instead of waiting patiently for better options such as AK47. Had Manu taken a pay cut and Bonner been amnestied, that would have been enough $$$ to sign a key free agent such as Jarret Jack or Jose Caldeton, even though the FO probably never had these two under their radar.

The reluctance of the FO not willing to commit to contracts over two years on free agents probably diminished their chances of finding better opions to Marco and Pendergraph; this reluctance doesn't make sense because of the short contracts of the NBA now in days. I mean if a player doesn't pan out, then just trade him.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219844&p=6760686#post6760686

TD 21
07-18-2013, 06:22 PM
F.

Typical Spurs off season: They failed to address their needs . . . and this time, there is no reasonable case to be made as to why. The needs were both modest (backup SF/combo forward and backup PG) and they had the wherewithal to address them, yet they inexplicably neglected to do so.

Instead, they chose to invest roughly 10M combined on an overpaid Ginobili, plus Belnelli, who's insurance for him and their inept backup PG's, which sounds great, except for the fact that he's a worse version of a healthy Neal. They also jumped the gun on Pendergraph, a relatively unproven, fringe rotation type, the likes of which rarely signs early in free agency. Unlike the former, however, at least his signing made sense in a vacuum.

Despite all their movable contracts and breathing room under the tax, I know this organization well enough to know better than to get my hopes up that there could yet be some type of impact move between now and the deadline.

HemisfairArena
07-18-2013, 06:29 PM
D............. Signing a broken down 36 year old SG liabilty to 7 mil/yr is a joke. Giving Splitter 9 mil/yr for averaging 10 and 6 in the regular season and disappearing in the Finals is also a joke. I like the kid we signed from the Bulls for minimal money so that saved it from being an F.

Mr Bones
07-19-2013, 01:19 PM
B-
I thought the Spurs needed tweaks and nothing more. My two main free agent targets were Mike Dunleavy and Brandan Wright. Both are highly efficient players who wouldn't break the bank. The Bulls upgraded to Dunleavy and let Belinelli go, but the production from those two is somewhat close. I think Dunleavy's a bit more efficient and well-rounded (he could play minutes as back up SF), but Belinelli is a decent pick up, especially for the price. Pendergraph looks intriguing, but, again, seems to be a slightly less effective player than Wright. Wright will essentially give you 20-25 minutes and a PER of 20. Pendergraph will give you 12-18 minutes and a PER of 15. I see a lot of people saying Splitter got too much money, but imagine if Splitter had left-- that would be a big hole to fill, and there just weren't many available players who could've done that. Keeping Diaw was nice. I'd love it if the Spurs could land one more really solid ball handler to back up Tony and Manu.

TheGreatYacht
07-19-2013, 02:20 PM
B-
I thought the Spurs needed tweaks and nothing more. My two main free agent targets were Mike Dunleavy and Brandan Wright. Both are highly efficient players who wouldn't break the bank. The Bulls upgraded to Dunleavy and let Belinelli go, but the production from those two is somewhat close. I think Dunleavy's a bit more efficient and well-rounded (he could play minutes as back up SF), but Belinelli is a decent pick up, especially for the price. Pendergraph looks intriguing, but, again, seems to be a slightly less effective player than Wright. Wright will essentially give you 20-25 minutes and a PER of 20. Pendergraph will give you 12-18 minutes and a PER of 15. I see a lot of people saying Splitter got too much money, but imagine if Splitter had left-- that would be a big hole to fill, and there just weren't many available players who could've done that. Keeping Diaw was nice. I'd love it if the Spurs could land one more really solid ball handler to back up Tony and Manu.Mike Dunleavy signed with the Bulls for a $6M two year contract which is exactly what Marco Belinelli ended up costing us. Why didn't the FO go after Mike Dunleavy first? They either suck at recruiting free agents like I've had my suspicions all along or they didn't see something in Mike Dunleavy such as his age? I don't know but Mike Dunleavy can pretty much do everything that Marco does and also Dunleavy would have probably solved our SF hole. Time will tell us which player has more success with their respective teams.

BatManu20
07-19-2013, 02:24 PM
C-. Belli was a solid pickup but nothing major. Certainly doesn't put us over the top. We re-signed Splitter as expected, and overpaid but that was also to be expected as starting Center always do. We won't see our 1st round draft pick in SA for at least 2 years, if ever, and our 2nd round pick looks solid so far but likely won't even make the roster this year.

So, basically we're bringing back the same team + another decent bench player in Belli. Typical Spurs offseason. But, can't really fault the FO too much when no FA's want to voluntarily play in SA.

ace3g
07-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Depth Charts

All Positions

Pos
Role
Name

PG
Tony Parker (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/780/tony-parker)

Cory Joseph (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1878/cory-joseph)

Patrick Mills (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1624/patrick-mills) http://www.Rotoworld.com/images/sq_red_side.gif

Nando De Colo (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1654/nando-de-colo)

SG
Danny Green (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1482/danny-green)

Manu Ginobili (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/659/manu-ginobili)

Marco Belinelli (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1384/marco-belinelli)

SF
Kawhi Leonard (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1833/kawhi-leonard)

PF

Tim Duncan (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/467/tim-duncan)

Boris Diaw (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/947/boris-diaw)

Jeff Pendergraph (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1639/jeff-pendergraph)

C
Tiago Splitter (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1258/tiago-splitter)

Matt Bonner (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/971/matt-bonner)

Aron Baynes (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/2086/aron-baynes)

DPG21920
07-31-2013, 05:28 PM
With the knowledge we currently have: C-

Hoops Czar
07-31-2013, 05:53 PM
D+ zero depth at the 5, zero depth at the 3. And not much depth at the 1.

superbigtime
07-31-2013, 06:02 PM
after letting neal and blair go, being unable to get anything at all for them, I would like to downgrade my grade to an F.

ace3g
07-31-2013, 06:06 PM
after letting neal and blair go, being unable to get anything at all for them, I would like to downgrade my grade to an F.

Neal yes, Blair have to wait and see, he still hasn't signed with anyone.

hater
07-31-2013, 06:12 PM
it was F complete failure if not for the Belinelli trade.

Belinelli trade makes it a solid C

on second though keeping Bonner and playing hard ball with Blair. I demote it to D+

Strategic
07-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Depth Charts

All Positions

Pos

Role

Name

PG

Tony Parker (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/780/tony-parker)

Cory Joseph (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1878/cory-joseph)

Patrick Mills (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1624/patrick-mills) http://www.Rotoworld.com/images/sq_red_side.gif

Nando De Colo (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1654/nando-de-colo)

SG

Danny Green (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1482/danny-green)

Manu Ginobili (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/659/manu-ginobili)

Marco Belinelli (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1384/marco-belinelli)

SF

Kawhi Leonard (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1833/kawhi-leonard)

PF

Tim Duncan (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/467/tim-duncan)

Boris Diaw (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/947/boris-diaw)

Jeff Pendergraph (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1639/jeff-pendergraph)

C

Tiago Splitter (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1258/tiago-splitter)

Matt Bonner (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/971/matt-bonner)

Aron Baynes (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/2086/aron-baynes)

Although De Colo and Mills are still on the roster, pretty sure Manu is high on the PG rotation. For better or worse.

Texas_Ranger
Downgrading from C- to D-. Still not having a backup SF is fucking stupid and so is paying 4M for the red headed shit. Oden is not coming and there probably wont be a S&T for Blair. I am just saying that with the money they had they fucked up big time.

rascal
The frontline is still garbage.

superbigtime
07-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Neal yes, Blair have to wait and see, he still hasn't signed with anyone.

You're right, my bad. Seeing him go for minimum for 1 year as was rumored, that'd be painful. He can help this team over a season. Whines a little but can't blame him. He's a good citizen, a good Spur. I don't think we are going to get anyone better for minimum $ than DB. Maybe he's sick of SA.

jimbo
07-31-2013, 06:58 PM

But I thought Baynes was the truth...:downspin: Actually it's gonna be interesting seeing what kind of combinations Pop comes up with with the frontcourt.

The whole no backup 3 is stupid as hell though, who's even left?

hsxvvd
07-31-2013, 08:14 PM
C
Belinelli was a nice pick up early and will be a great fit. Manu and Splitter's deals were expected, but certainly no bargains either. Pendergraph is a nonsubstantial to say the least. It could have been worse, losing Splitter for example and not getting Belinelli.

Letting Blair and Neal walk for nothing is not a concern. Belinelli > Neal. It's a wash on Blair/Pendergraph. I can't help but feel that there wasn't a lot a room to move and there really wasn't much available with what we had without doing a major shake up. Given we came so close last year, resisting temptation to do too much is probably the best result we could ask for.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-31-2013, 09:11 PM
1st 2nd situational
tony cojo mills decolo belli
green decolo belli manu mills
kawhi manu diaw/belli
splitter diaw/bonner pendergraph
duncan baynes pendergraph/bonner

i'm still hoping the spurs dump bonner. but, even if they don't. i can live with pendergraph and baynes challenging bonner for minutes.

i'm also not as worried about the backup to kawhi. diaw is a serviceable 3. but i think this seasons manu is last seasons sjax/tmac.

and there's still an open spot!

b+, at minimum.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-31-2013, 09:14 PM
oh lordy my little depth chart didn't come out like i'd hoped. i know you assholes. don't bother reading my message. just attack me for the ugly depth chart.

CGD
07-31-2013, 09:23 PM
B

I truly believe that Belli + Pende > Neal + Blair in the long-run. It could even be argued that the Spurs "upgraded" two positions they knew they were losing. A lot of the frustration by fans, whether justified or not, stems from expectation about what the Spurs should have done with their (possibly) sizable cap space. Maybe they could have made a bigger splash, who knows, but none of the FAs out there struck me as good fits. Did the Spurs really want to bring in a Jefferson or Josh Smith, and hope they meshed well with Duncan in the last two years of his career? Was Milsap off the bench worth big money? Would that have been a better option that letter Splitter walk, really? Did the Spurs really have a chance of outbidding the Pelicans for the services of Tyrke Evans? Probably not.

Fans would be singing a different tune had the Spurs acquired AK. As far as we know it wasn't for lack of trying. Minni was reluctant to make a move until they figured out the Martin and Brewer signing, and ultimately they were unwilling to facilitate the S&T which was required to bring AK to SA. After that, who really could have imagined that AK would have signed that puzzling deal with the Nets? Not sure anyone thought he could be had at that price given the fact he just walked away from 10M next year.

In the end Pop did not defraud. He told us fans exactly what to expect. My "dings" on the grade stem from the fact that the back-up SF positions still needs to be filled, which may still be resolved. I'm also sad for Bertans and Livio who were injured (again things outside the Spurs control).

Spursfanfromafar
07-31-2013, 09:38 PM
I give the Spurs offseason a D so far.

Will change it if they snag Ariza/a competent backup SF.

therealtruth
07-31-2013, 10:28 PM
The most important need was a secondary ball-handler, playmaker that can run the offense when Manu is throwing the ball to the other team. Hopefully Pop has a plan. I don't think playing backup PG by committee works.

Sean Cagney
07-31-2013, 10:47 PM

Center they are okay, I give you the ZERO at the three though, literally after KAWHI it is a 0! NOT one soul! Not much depth at the one though I disagree IF Corey can step in and continue to grow. Too much at the 2 SLOT though, that or SG in PG body's.

I give them a C this offseason.
I give the Spurs offseason a D so far.

Will change it if they snag Ariza/a competent backup SF.

Ariza is not a FA.

Strategic
07-31-2013, 10:47 PM
A B for not doing anything stupid.

ace3g
07-31-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm ok with the PF/C depth, but back up SF needs to be addressed.

yavozerb
07-31-2013, 11:05 PM
A B for not doing anything stupid.

my thoughts exactly..thx

Spursfanfromafar
07-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Ariza is not a FA.

I know.. Chances are that there is still some leeway to get Ariza via S&T of Blair + Bonner. Lets see.

Bruno
07-31-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm gonna stick with C-, sounds about right regarding how I feel about the Spurs offseason. If Oden picks Spurs, I would bump it to a C but nothing more.

Spursfanfromafar
08-01-2013, 03:27 AM
I'm gonna stick with C-, sounds about right regarding how I feel about the Spurs offseason. If Oden picks Spurs, I would bump it to a C but nothing more.

Oden is redundant to the Spurs' requirements, atleast this season, but an asset for the future. I would still grade this offseason as a D. I thought the Spurs could have sequenced their moves better in order to get a free agent backup SF. They instead felt it necessary to get replacements for Neal and Blair as priorities, and even there with Belinelli & Pendergraph, I think they were just marginal improvements and mostly lateral moves. Belinelli, I think, is just marginally better than Neal, while Pendergraph doesn't seem to be any big upgrade over Blair. In prioritising their signings, retaining Bonner (without amnestying him) and not finding a backup SF, I think the Spurs haven't improved beyond small margins than last season, when they could have after Jackson's contract came off their books. Manu was a tad overpaid, yes (while Splitter got market value), but that was understandable for me. Rest was meh.

venitian navigator
08-01-2013, 04:13 AM
I'll give C+.
The C is for re-signing all the veterans except Neal. That's a wise move considering our main strenght is the fact that all the people knows the system and can use this knowledge from the start of the season.
It's wiser considering that there are at least 2 players (I mean Baynes and Joseph) and maybe four (add Mills and De Colo) that should play a lot more minutes from the start after the one entire year past with the team necessary for learning the system.
Cannot be more than C (apart the + that I'm explaining after) 'cause we probably needed to add a big name to take some of the big responsabilities or, at least, some of the dirty working, off of the shoulders of our main players.
In this sense I think we could miss Neal, 'cause he had become a reliable part of the rotation.

The + it s 'cause, however, I like the way we replaced the two guys we were supposed to lose.
Beli, imho, has a good basketball IQ (so, probably, he won't need a big amount of time for undestanding Pop's way and system), should give a more wide kind of options on offense than Neal (he's not as clutch, precise end fast-shooting as Neal, but is anyway a more than decent shooter, also after screens, is higher than Neal -so having more variety for passing and more time for shooting - and, for sure, can go to the rim better than Neal), and should be better for sure on defense (thanks to some of Thib's lessons).
Pendergraph should also be a high basketball IQ player (and so entering our system should't be a too big deal for him). I liked him since the first time I've seen him defending Duncan and thought he had a very good two way potential. If, like I think, it's been only unlucky in his career 'cause of the bad (but only) injury he suffered, he could became, in little time, a real steal (that's, at least, what I hope about him). In any case, considering how little Blair has played last season, he should replace him more than well.

Baam
08-01-2013, 04:40 AM
Blair didn't need to replaced tho.

xmas1997
08-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Oden won't pick the Spurs, but in the rare event he does I give them a B.

Bruno
08-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Oden is redundant to the Spurs' requirements, atleast this season, but an asset for the future. I would still grade this offseason as a D. I thought the Spurs could have sequenced their moves better in order to get a free agent backup SF.

I disagree on Oden. If he is back at a level close to the last he played in the NBA, he will tremendously help Spurs as soon as this season. A frontcourt of Splitter/Duncan with Diaw/Oden subbing them would be just great.

I'm also surprised Spurs didn't add a backup SF but they have a very good option for that spot with Ginobili. Even if he is primarily a SG, he played a lot of SF in his Spurs career with good results.

Spursfanfromafar
08-01-2013, 10:20 AM
I disagree on Oden. If he is back at a level close to the last he played in the NBA, he will tremendously help Spurs as soon as this season. A frontcourt of Splitter/Duncan with Diaw/Oden subbing them would be just great.

I'm also surprised Spurs didn't add a backup SF but they have a very good option for that spot with Ginobili. Even if he is primarily a SG, he played a lot of SF in his Spurs career with good results.

But that assumes that Oden, after three, microfracture surgeries, a self-confessed alcoholism problem, basically two years without playing at any level, will be back to perform at a decent level again. It is not impossible, but I doubt if it will happen this year. And that is why I consider him one for the future, with Popovich playing him in, rather than attempting to make him contribute rightaway.

Fair enough on Manu at the 3, but I don't think it will be fruitful in small ball lineups when Kawhi will need to have a backup relieving him. And that remains the one "hole" in the Spurs. Hopefully they get something done in the trade deadline and don't repeat last year's passiveness during that time.

Bruno
08-01-2013, 11:04 AM
But that assumes that Oden, after three, microfracture surgeries, a self-confessed alcoholism problem, basically two years without playing at any level, will be back to perform at a decent level again. It is not impossible, but I doubt if it will happen this year. And that is why I consider him one for the future, with Popovich playing him in, rather than attempting to make him contribute rightaway.

I don't see Oden as a player needing a year to get back his game because it wasn't based on skills but more on instincts and physical abilities. We will know quite quickly if he still has it or not.

Fair enough on Manu at the 3, but I don't think it will be fruitful in small ball lineups when Kawhi will need to have a backup relieving him. And that remains the one "hole" in the Spurs. Hopefully they get something done in the trade deadline and don't repeat last year's passiveness during that time.

Agree, Spurs lack of options when they will have to go small is an issue. It's even a relatively big issue because a lot of good teams like Warriors, Clippers, Rockets or Heat will go small.

Sean Cagney
08-01-2013, 12:43 PM
I know.. Chances are that there is still some leeway to get Ariza via S&T of Blair + Bonner. Lets see.

Blair signed with the Mavs.

xmas1997
08-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Blair signed with the Mavs.

Yeah, so no Ariza.

superbigtime
08-01-2013, 02:12 PM
so much for that sign n trade. that was never happening anyway. So long dejuan.

Budkin
08-01-2013, 02:17 PM
C. Not getting a SF was a travesty.

raybies
08-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I give it a B.
I think the lack of significant aquisitions means that they are content if need be with the current rotational players. They must expect continued growth from Leonard, Splitter, and Green. With that being said it's easy to see how we could improve as much as other teams have during the offseason. No big free agents means more minutes and more time for development for our medium 3.

Here are some internal improvements that could help our team get better:
Green: Develop a better in between game and better finishing at the rim. More Ray Allen like.
Leonard: Further develop his post and face up game for isolation play calls.
Splitter: Keep the ball high after the catch on the pick and roll and finish better against smaller defenders. Requires calls from Pop.
Belinelli: Hit the open shot and play better D than what Neal gave.
Baynes/ Pendergraph: Give solid minutes off the bench protecting the rim, crashing the boards, finishing around the rim and hitting the j.

The Spurs did their due dilligence. They were interested in getting some quality players, but it just didn't work out. I bet if the Spurs were willing to throw draft picks at people deals would get done but we value picks very highly.

If the above mentioned improvements take place and the Big 3 continues to play at a relatively similar high level than we got a good chance at making it to the Finals again next year.

tmtcsc
08-01-2013, 04:08 PM

The Spurs needed a better defensive option at the backup 3. Manu can't defend 3's anymore. He has a hard enough time staying in front of 2's as it is. He really needs to get back to work on his defense. He was sloppy last year in that regard.

I think we graded a "C" for average. Backup PG and SF weren't addressed and those were two of the biggest needs. Granted, we don't need much but TP was gassed for playing too many minutes and we don't need to run Leonard in to the ground going forward.

Do people realize that if we get Oden, it will be a long while before he contributes ANYTHING to the team? He's not lasted a full season yet in his 5 year career. No reason to think he will now. He's injury prone and his body isn't built to take running and jumping. He's a risk with high potential, thats it. I expect Baynes and Pendergraph to play a bigger role than Oden. Any chance taken on him won't payoff until the season after next.

xmas1997
08-01-2013, 04:39 PM
First off, we aren't getting Oden.
Second, we were never getting AK47 either, he was always going to the Nets.
Third, we apparently didn't want Ariza probably due to his contract.
So who is there to get? No one that I can see.

TD 21
08-01-2013, 05:29 PM
The Spurs needed a better defensive option at the backup 3. Manu can't defend 3's anymore. He has a hard enough time staying in front of 2's as it is. He really needs to get back to work on his defense. He was sloppy last year in that regard.

I think we graded a "C" for average. Backup PG and SF weren't addressed and those were two of the biggest needs. Granted, we don't need much but TP was gassed for playing too many minutes and we don't need to run Leonard in to the ground going forward.

Do people realize that if we get Oden, it will be a long while before he contributes ANYTHING to the team? He's not lasted a full season yet in his 5 year career. No reason to think he will now. He's injury prone and his body isn't built to take running and jumping. He's a risk with high potential, thats it. I expect Baynes and Pendergraph to play a bigger role than Oden. Any chance taken on him won't payoff until the season after next.

Good post.

Many talk about the fact that they can get away with it against run of the mill teams in the regular, but what about if they get back to the Finals? Three of the four realistic opponents have the personnel to punish them. We've discussed the Heat ad nauseam, but the Nets (Pierce, Johnson, Kirilenko) and Pacers (George, Granger), are more than formidable in this regard, too.

I agree, their plan was likely for Oden to be the sixth big next season, utilized when Duncan or Splitter are injured or when they give Duncan a game off. The only scenario I could see where he'd have been fourth/fifth, is if Pendergraph looks terrible.

Speaking of which, everyone talks about backup SF and PG, but backup C is the most underrated need on the team. Should Pendergraph show he's not up to the task, their options are to overplay Duncan and to a lesser extent, Splitter, or go long stretches where Diaw and Bonner are paired together, which should never happen.

look_at_g_shred
08-01-2013, 11:30 PM
C-

BatManu20
08-01-2013, 11:45 PM
A week ago I would've said C- but now I'll just say C. I know, huge upgrade. Not getting a backup SF really puzzles me and we replaced Neal with Belli which is basically a wash. Didn't really improve at all. Pretty disappointing tbh.

Knoxxx
08-02-2013, 01:51 PM
The jury's out, but if most of the perceived "misses" were guys that care more about $ than winning, it may have been the best possible with the hand the FO was working with. Remember all else equal we only needed to get one point better, and I think we have at least done that with Bellinelli for Neal.

therealtruth
08-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Getting rid of 2 of the worst defenders on the team is doing pretty good.

Hoops Czar
08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Bringing in a defender worse than the two going out and adding a 4th-5th big off the bench type role player, using MLE money doesn't strike me as pretty good.

look_at_g_shred
08-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Bringing in a defender worse than the two going out and adding a 4th-5th big off the bench type role player, using MLE money doesn't strike me as pretty good.

We still don't know what type of defense (if any) pendegraph will bring off the bench. He may surprise some people.

Hoops Czar
08-02-2013, 06:27 PM
We still don't know what type of defense (if any) pendegraph will bring off the bench. He may surprise some people.

True. If he plays that is.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Since they are apparently not getting Oden, I am sticking with a C, but if they continue to go after guards when we already have 7, then they are going to get a D!

Johnny RIngo
08-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Giving SA a D would be very generous at this point. We overpaid for a 36 year old Argie shitbag that won't even suit up for more than 50 games and signed a chucker in Belli(as insurance for the decrepit injury prone shooting guard). Oh yeah, we also brought in a scrub big man that won't play more than 5 mins a game.

Heat, Clippers, Rockets, Nets, Warriors and a whole slew of teams got better. SA and OKC did nothing to improve themselves and, in fact, probably got worse with the recent moves. At least OKC still has two young superstars to give them hope while SA is banking on the health of our 37 year old franchise player and our choke artist point guard. One of the most underwhelming off-seasons in SA history.

HI-FI
08-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Ringo with the goods.

i'll grade this offseason like my physics class. I should've got a D but was fortunate to get an Inc. until I fixed some assignments and turned it into a B. not happy with overpaying Manu after he blew the finals but there is still a chance to fix some things. Just trying to look for a silver lining.

silverblk mystix
08-03-2013, 09:15 AM
F

Pop hasn't stepped back to the GM position.

Bonner was not shown the door - again.

Neal & Blair allowed to leave - for nothing in return.

Manu paid strictly out of loyalty - the homer in me says it is a good move - the realist in me realizes this was a very bad move and will cost the Spurs dearly.

Tim should have retired - he gave all he had and Pop robbed him blind. Tim deserved better. Why come back when Lord Pop is still here?

kobyz
08-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Worst grade possible!!! in a critical year in the Duncan era, year they had great financial room, the spurs not only stayed put, they somehow succeed to make the team worst... Why it's so hard for you t say that spurs front office is messed up, totally in trauma after the finals...

TheGreatYacht
08-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Since they are apparently not getting Oden, I am sticking with a C, but if they continue to go after guards when we already have 7, then they are going to get a D!Keep up the goods.
Giving SA a D would be very generous at this point. We overpaid for a 36 year old Argie shitbag that won't even suit up for more than 50 games and signed a chucker in Belli(as insurance for the decrepit injury prone shooting guard). Oh yeah, we also brought in a scrub big man that won't play more than 5 mins a game.

Heat, Clippers, Rockets, Nets, Warriors and a whole slew of teams got better. SA and OKC did nothing to improve themselves and, in fact, probably got worse with the recent moves. At least OKC still has two young superstars to give them hope while SA is banking on the health of our 37 year old franchise player and our choke artist point guard. One of the most underwhelming off-seasons in SA history.This.

F

Pop hasn't stepped back to the GM position.

Bonner was not shown the door - again.

Neal & Blair allowed to leave - for nothing in return.

Manu paid strictly out of loyalty - the homer in me says it is a good move - the realist in me realizes this was a very bad move and will cost the Spurs dearly.

Tim should have retired - he gave all he had and Pop robbed him blind. Tim deserved better. Why come back when Lord Pop is still here?This.

FO doing what they do best which is to take shortcuts year after year. Staying pat and calling it "corporate knowledge" takes A LOT of rocket science. Being a GM for the Spurs must the hardest job in the world. I mean most of the Spurs fans will call you the best FO in the NBA for staying pat (being stingy and lazy) and not winning a championship for the past 6 years when you have the GOAT power forward in Tim Duncan. I feel sorry for Timmy. He deserves better. The FO has screwed Timmy every year for the past 6 years.

xmas1997
08-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Worst grade possible!!! in a critical year in the Duncan era, year they had great financial room, the spurs not only stayed put, they somehow succeed to make the team worst... Why it's so hard for you t say that spurs front office is messed up, totally in trauma after the finals...

Most would disagree with you, the team did not get worse, they just got older is all and at the very least stayed somewhat pat, with dependency on luck that they stay injury free.

kobyz
08-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Most would disagree with you, the team did not get worse, they just got older is all and at the very least stayed somewhat pat, with dependency on luck that they stay injury free.

Losing Neal for Belly is also a downside, you will see...

Chomag
08-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Dropping my grade a bit more now from C+ to a D-. again overall it was a meh off-season and I dont think the spurs got worse. The thing that gives such a low score for me is that the Spurs actually had a real opportunity with money this off-season, and they blew it!

xmas1997
08-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Losing Neal for Belly is also a downside, you will see...

I seriously doubt that!

kobyz
08-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I seriously doubt that!

Neal is all heart...

xmas1997
08-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Neal is all heart...

Don't get me wrong, I liked Neal and wish him the best, he paid his dues and now he is finally getting compensated.
I just have a feeling that Belinelli will be more of an asset than Neal was in the long run, and I've learned over the years to trust my inner hunches.

SpursDynasty21
08-03-2013, 11:14 AM
The Spurs had the cap space to make some nice moves, and they didn't. I like the Belinelli signing, and I think Pendergraph will be a solid player. I do not like the Splitter signing. In my opinion, the Spurs overpaid him.

blkroadrunners
08-03-2013, 11:27 AM
B-

terzappi
08-03-2013, 11:34 AM
D-

SanAntonioSpurs23
08-03-2013, 11:47 AM
C-

Budkin
08-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Unless they turn it around C-

kobyz
08-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, I liked Neal and wish him the best, he paid his dues and now he is finally getting compensated.
I just have a feeling that Belinelli will be more of an asset than Neal was in the long run, and I've learned over the years to trust my inner hunches.

So You gonna find yourself very stupid, Beli is a scrub...

Sean Cagney
08-03-2013, 12:02 PM
The Spurs had the cap space to make some nice moves, and they didn't. I like the Belinelli signing, and I think Pendergraph will be a solid player. I do not like the Splitter signing. In my opinion, the Spurs overpaid him.

It was either overpay Splitter or let him walk though for nothing! That would have been bad.
So You gonna find yourself very stupid, Beli is a scrub...Neal is not exactly that great. He plays horrible D, is very limited on O and his shot selection at times is horrible. Nobody was knocking the doors down to come get him. He could light it up if he got hot and was a volume shooter, that was his ceiling.

kobyz
08-03-2013, 12:38 PM
It was either overpay Splitter or let him walk though for nothing! That would have been bad.Neal is not exactly that great. He plays horrible D, is very limited on O and his shot selection at times is horrible. Nobody was knocking the doors down to come get him. He could light it up if he got hot and was a volume shooter, that was his ceiling.
You could have let splitter go and play Pendergraph instead, you wouldn't feel much different there... Neal is not that horrible on D, he is "so so", and for his bench role he is perfect, he is giving you what you need and heart, Beli may able to do more stuf with the ball, but not stuf useful for us and not at all in effective way, Neal is better player cause he is more solid.

xmas1997
08-03-2013, 12:43 PM
So You gonna find yourself very stupid, Beli is a scrub...

We shall see, bet I'm right though.

Sean Cagney
08-03-2013, 12:47 PM
You could have let splitter go and play Pendergraph instead, you wouldn't feel much different there... Neal is not that horrible on D, he is "so so", and for his bench role he is perfect, he is giving you what you need and heart, Beli may able to do more stuf with the ball, but not stuf useful for us and not at all in effective way, Neal is better player cause he is more solid.

Let Splitter Go and play Pendegraph? Huh? Pendy was at the end of the bench alot of times, Splitter a starter on a very good team. Neal is that horrible on D, a few plays in the finals emphasized that. I would hardly call him so-so on D, are you serious? Beli can do more with the ball, you said enough there for me to want him on the team over Neal who was just a spot up shooter who POP thought could run the PG, big mistake. He has not played a single game yet and you deem Beli not useful for us and not in an effective way? On what basis?

Neal being more solid to me, what points did you put up that made him more solid? Nobody was really knocking down the door to sign him as I said, thats why he ended up in Milwaukee. I would love to see you make points then just heresay or hindsight and actually see how Beli plays here first. I still don't see how Neal is more solid either, he is very one dimensional and a volume shooter like I said.

raybies
08-03-2013, 01:23 PM
I think most people underestimate team chemistry and familiarity. Teams like the warriors, clippers, rockets, and nets got better on paper. I think most would still consider Okc and sa the top 2 teams in the west while standing pat.

xmas1997
08-03-2013, 01:26 PM
I think most people underestimate team chemistry and familiarity. Teams like the warriors, clippers, rockets, and nets got better on paper. I think most would still consider Okc and sa the top 2 teams in the west while standing pat.

Maybe so, but especially San Antonio's age factor may loom large with staying lucky enough to avoid injury.

Sean Cagney
08-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Maybe so, but especially San Antonio's age factor may loom large with staying lucky enough to avoid injury.

Very very true.

therealtruth
08-03-2013, 06:48 PM

Let Splitter Go and play Pendegraph? Huh? Pendy was at the end of the bench alot of times, Splitter a starter on a very good team. Neal is that horrible on D, a few plays in the finals emphasized that. I would hardly call him so-so on D, are you serious? Beli can do more with the ball, you said enough there for me to want him on the team over Neal who was just a spot up shooter who POP thought could run the PG, big mistake. He has not played a single game yet and you deem Beli not useful for us and not in an effective way? On what basis?

Neal being more solid to me, what points did you put up that made him more solid? Nobody was really knocking down the door to sign him as I said, thats why he ended up in Milwaukee. I would love to see you make points then just heresay or hindsight and actually see how Beli plays here first. I still don't see how Neal is more solid either, he is very one dimensional and a volume shooter like I said.

I think you could argue if Neal plays average defense the Spurs win it all. Most of his defensive breakdowns came at key moments. I also think Neal may be in for a bit of a surprise if he thinks a defensive minded coach like Larry Drew won't care about his defensive shortcomings.

Bruno
08-03-2013, 07:08 PM
For the record Chad Ford offseason grade and analysis:

SAN ANTONIO SPURS | GRADE: B

Additions: Manu Ginobili (re-sign), Tiago Splitter (re-sign), Marco Belinelli (FA), Jeff Pendergraph (FA), Deshaun Thomas (draft)

Subtractions: Gary Neal (Bucks), DeJuan Blair (Mavericks)

The Spurs came about as close as you can come to winning a NBA title without actually winning it. If a team ever deserved a trophy for coming in second place, it's them.

To that end, the team decided to bring back the same crew. They got the rapidly fading Manu to sign a reasonable, two-year, $14 million deal. Their offer to Splitter (four years, $36 million) was considerably larger, but it decreases each year, and there aren't 15 centers in the league better than he is.

Their other additions probably won't excite anyone, but maybe they should. Every year the Spurs pull a player of two from the proverbial NBA trash heap and turn them into valuable role players. This year, Belinelli and Pendergraph might be those guys. Belinelli can really shoot the basketball, and Pendergraph can rebound and score around the basket. Both have talent well-suited to the team's style of play and are better than the contracts they received -- a hallmark of Spurs summers.

And don't sleep on Thomas, the Spurs' second-round draft prospect. He was one of the two or three best scorers in the draft this year, but slid because people questioned his work ethic and defense. He couldn't have landed on a better team than San Antonio or with a better coach than Gregg Popovich. If he's willing to do what Pop says, in two years everyone will be asking why in the world Thomas wasn't a lottery pick.

tim_duncan_fan
08-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Doesn't deserve anything above a G+. Can't even give them an E for effort.

Skull-1
08-03-2013, 07:45 PM

Skull-1
08-03-2013, 07:46 PM
It was either overpay Splitter or let him walk though for nothing! That would have been bad.Neal is not exactly that great. He plays horrible D, is very limited on O and his shot selection at times is horrible. Nobody was knocking the doors down to come get him. He could light it up if he got hot and was a volume shooter, that was his ceiling.

Never liked Neal. Couldn't bring the ball up without being pressured into a turnover...

GrandeDavid
08-03-2013, 10:02 PM
B

I think having Corey Joseph, Mills and Even Bellineku will get the job done. However, the Spurs will probably pick someone up.

GrandeDavid
08-03-2013, 10:04 PM
B+.

BackHome
08-03-2013, 10:06 PM
To many SG's someone had to go and still pissed the Spurs haven't signed a vet backup PG come on RC get your shit together!

Sean Cagney
08-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Never liked Neal. Couldn't bring the ball up without being pressured into a turnover...
I agree fully!

Sean Cagney
08-03-2013, 10:28 PM
I think you could argue if Neal plays average defense the Spurs win it all. Most of his defensive breakdowns came at key moments. I also think Neal may be in for a bit of a surprise if he thinks a defensive minded coach like Larry Drew won't care about his defensive shortcomings.

You are correct.

ace3g
08-03-2013, 10:51 PM
End of the day Spurs got better rebounding at PF/C spot with Pendergraph and seasoning of Baynes; Plus more all around skills at SG , won't have to yell at the screen during a 3 on 1 break with Belinelli (Neal with his 3 on 1 step back for 3).

Spurs needed a change (rotations shortened to about 4-5 players past 2 playoff runs in final rounds) from 3 spots: Blair, Neal, and Bonner; Got 2 of 3 (so far) which isn't bad.

kobyz
08-04-2013, 06:24 AM

But it wasn't his role, his role was to be hot of the bench and to hit shots, you could not find more cold blooded player at that role than him, and Beli is a decrease from "the Neal with it" at that role, if you gonna let Beli to handle the ball too much or be a creator he will ruin your Chemistry on offense, and on defense he is also suck...

eDizzle20
08-04-2013, 12:51 PM
For those of you that gave the Spurs a bad offseason grade what changes/different players would you want based on the contracts they signed (exclude Kirilenko)? i.e. would O.J. Mayo have been a better value at 3 yrs/$24 mm that he signed with Milwaukee than Manu was at 2 yrs/$15 mm. Please discuss.

ThaBigFundamental21
08-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Probably a C. They kept Splitter at a realistic price, they signed Old Manu. We signed Marco, and Pendergraph. We didn't really get any better, just the same. It seems we are depending a hell of a lot on Kawhi.

TheGreatYacht
08-04-2013, 01:11 PM
For those of you that gave the Spurs a bad offseason grade what changes/different players would you want based on the contracts they signed (exclude Kirilenko)? i.e. would O.J. Mayo have been a better value at 3 yrs/$24 mm that he signed with Milwaukee than Manu was at 2 yrs/$15 mm. Please discuss.I would have used Manu's $14.5M to sign Jarrett Jack. Then I would have amnestied Matt Bonner and use that $$$ to sign Marco Belinelli or Mike Dunleavy Jr. I then would have used the MLE on AK47. I would of let Manu become a FA and then resign him for $3.5M for 1 year or $7M for 2 years, otherwise he can retire or take the veteran's minimum.

I'm not sure if the numbers or math would've worked out for this scenario, I would need Bruno to figure this out but that's what I would have done.

The casualties would have been Gary Neal, Dejuan Blair, Matt Bonner, and possibly Manu Ginobili if he wasn't willing to take the $7M for 2 years which I highly doubt that he would have opposed.

ThaBigFundamental21
08-04-2013, 01:31 PM
I don't understand everyone's Jarrett Jack love around here.

ElNono
08-04-2013, 02:41 PM
I don't understand everyone's Jarrett Jack love around here.

It's not everyone, tbh

kobyz
08-04-2013, 02:50 PM
For those of you that gave the Spurs a bad offseason grade what changes/different players would you want based on the contracts they signed (exclude Kirilenko)? i.e. would O.J. Mayo have been a better value at 3 yrs/$24 mm that he signed with Milwaukee than Manu was at 2 yrs/$15 mm. Please discuss.

it's not about that... Spurs should have played hard ball with "so so", "so so" wasn't going to get this type of money elsewhere and also "so so" only wanted to keep playing for the Spurs and not for some rebuilding team...

ThaBigFundamental21
08-04-2013, 04:14 PM
It's not everyone, tbh

Good. I'm not saying I don't think he is a decent player. But the Spurs need a true backup PG. What I mean by that is a good facilitator, it would be nice to have a guy who can get other players on the team good/easier shots. Timmy would really benefit, so would our spot up jump shooters who can't create for themselves. Jack cannot do what we need. I do think the Spurs could have spent money differently to fill some needs, but that is a different conversation.

therealtruth
08-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Good. I'm not saying I don't think he is a decent player. But the Spurs need a true backup PG. What I mean by that is a good facilitator, it would be nice to have a guy who can get other players on the team good/easier shots. Timmy would really benefit, so would our spot up jump shooters who can't create for themselves. Jack cannot do what we need. I do think the Spurs could have spent money differently to fill some needs, but that is a different conversation.

I agree they really need a guy like TJ Ford.

Vito
08-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Cgood: - charged Manu and Tiago - released Blair and Neal. Neal is a good player, but SG position is overloaded in spurs roadster - Belinelli - draftbad: - Bonner - money for Manu and Tiago. Compare to Duncan contract Manu and Tiago get to much - saved Cory, Nando, Patty.... We need a good pass-first PG in the bench, and now situation with three young and raw pg continues. And tru pg in this company is Cory Joseph only. Nando can improve next season, but Patrick... He is undersized sg. Just another SG. I like Neal more in SG position. I think Andre Miller is the best choise fo SA. - Pendegragh instead of Kirilenko. But it is a dark story(someone talks about his wife. she just wants live in NY) - Where is good string center along to Duncan? Splitter sometimes so soft, and Baynes is too raw now. We need big and strong guy. Where was SA manegment where Birdman was free agent?

ThaBigFundamental21
08-06-2013, 10:26 AM
I agree they really need a guy like TJ Ford.

That was a damn shame.

look_at_g_shred
08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Still hoping for one underrated move from PATFO.