PDA

View Full Version : Translation: Full Manu Interview with Deporte Tandilense newspaper

ElNono
07-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Here's the full translation of Manu quotes from the article:

"We reached an agreement pretty quickly, between two parties enthusiastic about it and wanting to continue with this relationship. We appreciate each other enormously. They told me they wanted me to be a Spur for life. I didn't think this was going to be all done in two days"

"I keep on loving what I do. There are more moments of fragility than when I was 25, times that you question a lot of things, but when you realize the position you're on and what you experience, you appreciate it again. The day I don't feel motivated, I'll just stop. It will probably be a combination of the physical aspect and the mental aspect. But you never know. If after these two years I keep feeling motivated, I'll keep going"

"I can't be this lucky. I'm completely privileged to be playing an NBA Finals at 36, have a lead role. It's clear I don't have the same impact I had in 2005; that was eight years ago. But even then, I feel I still have a leading role in this team, a leader. I still feel I'm an important part of this team. They [the FO] said that to me, and I do feel it like that"

"The intention was not to get the best contract of my life. I knew I was not going to have the same salary, and that's proper at this age. So I'm satisfied; I think they are too. It's a fair deal"

"The actual chances of going to another team were remote, and if nothing weird happened I was going to stay in San Antonio".

"Two or three teams inquired about me, fully aware that my priority was to stay with the Spurs. But it was something very informal; there were no offers. The only thing that would've made me doubt was if Pop or Bufford would have said that they had doubts about what I could give. When they said they were enthusiastic for me to return, I had no doubts".

"During the playoffs I felt it was the first time in 11 years on the NBA, plus 4 in Italy and 3 in Argentina that I didn't perform the way I wanted to. I produced a little less that I expected, both me and the team. And it hurt. I'm not used to that. I always took pride of being a player that during the playoffs or in difficult situations could give a plus. And I felt this season that didn't happen. I think I could've helped the team more, even maybe win another ring. I don't want that to happen again. I don't want to disappoint or be a burden to anybody. I want to play better next season, better than the last two seasons. I think I can"

"When I went to Italy at 22 years old, I thought I would play until I was 33. It was the age where important players retired. I'm fortunate to be 36 and be able to play two more seasons in one of the best sport organizations in the world. Definitely, the San Antonio Spurs are one of the best franchises in all sports in the US"

"I think Argentina should play well in the Caracas qualifier. Looking at the level in America, they should be at the top. As long as Scola is there, he'll be able to make a big difference. It's like having an ace on every play. Campazzo and Laprovittola have shown they can take command of the point guard role. Carlos [Delfino] injury will be a problem. But in case everyone is healthy heading to Madrid, it will be the same great team."

"Playing in Spain 2014 will depend purely and exclusively on my physical health. I know the mental part will be ready. If I'm healthy there's better chances that I play. I guess I'll figure it out as we get closer. It would be a great experience to play another World Championship"

"San Antonio will have nothing to do with it. It won't be a problem. They had some concerns during the couple of years that I had surgeries and those things, but they already know very well what I think. I know how they think, and there will be no problems. That won't be an issue. It will be my decision. If I don't play, it won't be because the Spurs didn't let me, but because I wasn't healthy or because I felt I couldn't help the team"

Original article in Spanish here (http://www.deportetandilense.com.ar/nota-Manu-Ginobili-anduvo-en-Tandil-14349.html)

apalisoc_9
07-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Great Article.

Manu obviously a bit disappointed with his post season performance. LMAOL at haters thinking he's some selfish prick.

Welcome back Manu. Hope to see you plan again in Toronto.

rmt
07-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Here's the full translation of Manu quotes from the article:

"We reached an agreement pretty quickly, between two parties enthusiastic about it and wanting to continue with this relationship. We appreciate each other enormously. They told me they wanted me to be a Spur for life. I didn't think this was going to be all done in two days"

"I keep on loving what I do. There are more moments of fragility than when I was 25, times that you question a lot of things, but when you realize the position you're on and what you experience, you appreciate it again. The day I don't feel motivated, I'll just stop. It will probably be a combination of the physical aspect and the mental aspect. But you never know. If after these two years I keep feeling motivated, I'll keep going"

"I can't be this lucky. I'm completely privileged to be playing an NBA Finals at 36, have a lead role. It's clear I don't have the same impact I had in 2005; that was eight years ago. But even then, I feel I still have a leading role in this team, a leader. I still feel I'm an important part of this team. They [the FO] said that to me, and I do feel it like that"

"The intention was not to get the best contract of my life. I knew I was not going to have the same salary, and that's proper at this age. So I'm satisfied; I think they are too. It's a fair deal"

"The actual chances of going to another team were remote, and if nothing weird happened I was going to stay in San Antonio".

"Two or three teams inquired about me, fully aware that my priority was to stay with the Spurs. But it was something very informal; there were no offers. The only thing that would've made me doubt was if Pop or Bufford would have said that they had doubts about what I could give. When they said they were enthusiastic for me to return, I had no doubts".

"During the playoffs I felt it was the first time in 11 years on the NBA, plus 4 in Italy and 3 in Argentina that I didn't perform the way I wanted to. I produced a little less that I expected, both me and the team. And it hurt. I'm not used to that. I always took pride of being a player that during the playoffs or in difficult situations could give a plus. And I felt this season that didn't happen. I think I could've helped the team more, even maybe win another ring. I don't want that to happen again. I don't want to disappoint or be a burden to anybody. I want to play better next season, better than the last two seasons. I think I can"

"When I went to Italy at 22 years old, I thought I would play until I was 33. It was the age where important players retired. I'm fortunate to be 36 and be able to play two more seasons in one of the best sport organizations in the world. Definitely, the San Antonio Spurs are one of the best franchises in all sports in the US"

"I think Argentina should play well in the Caracas qualifier. Looking at the level in America, they should be at the top. As long as Scola is there, he'll be able to make a big difference. It's like having an ace on every play. Campazzo and Laprovittola have shown they can take command of the point guard role. Carlos [Delfino] injury will be a problem. But in case everyone is healthy heading to Madrid, it will be the same great team."

"Playing in Spain 2014 will depend purely and exclusively on my physical health. I know the mental part will be ready. If I'm healthy there's better chances that I play. I guess I'll figure it out as we get closer. It would be a great experience to play another World Championship"

"San Antonio will have nothing to do with it. It won't be a problem. They had some concerns during the couple of years that I had surgeries and those things, but they already know very well what I think. I know how they think, and there will be no problems. That won't be an issue. It will be my decision. If I don't play, it won't be because the Spurs didn't let me, but because I wasn't healthy or because I felt I couldn't help the team"

Original article in Spanish here (http://www.deportetandilense.com.ar/nota-Manu-Ginobili-anduvo-en-Tandil-14349.html)

IMO, Manu isn't hard enough on himself for this playoff run. For having a LEAD role, he played like crap. Disagreed with his statement that the team produced less than expected. Of the main (much less LEAD) players, he was the worst. Parker performed well up until his injury. Duncan, Leonard and Green were outstanding and produced much more than expected in the Finals. Splitter was useless after MIA went to small-ball with Miller instead of Haslem. Diaw played very well and SHOULD HAVE gotten more of Manu's minutes. Not regretful enough, IMO, but whatever keeps you going Manu. Too bad the Spurs paid $7million to continue to see you injured, getting back into rhythm and being a turnover machine. Think I'd rather see Neal jack up 3pters than see turnover after turnover being converted to 2 points on the other end.

chapnis
07-12-2013, 01:19 AM
IMO, Manu isn't hard enough on himself for this playoff run. For having a LEAD role, he played like crap. Disagreed with his statement that the team produced less than expected. Of the main (much less LEAD) players, he was the worst. Parker performed well up until his injury. Duncan, Leonard and Green were outstanding and produced much more than expected in the Finals. Splitter was useless after MIA went to small-ball with Miller instead of Haslem. Diaw played very well and SHOULD HAVE gotten more of Manu's minutes. Not regretful enough, IMO, but whatever keeps you going Manu. Too bad the Spurs paid $7million to continue to see you injured, getting back into rhythm and being a turnover machine. Think I'd rather see Neal jack up 3pters than see turnover after turnover being converted to 2 points on the other end.

The way I understood it was that his performance was less than his own expectations and his teams expectations.

Manu knows he fucked up, and it sucks, but he's trying to move instead of living in the past like most of this forum seems to be doing.

Johnny RIngo
07-12-2013, 03:49 AM
but he's trying to move instead of living in the past like most of this forum seems to be doing.

Manu would have been harder on himself if he played this bad for Argentina in a Gold medal game. But because it was the Spurs, it's easier for him to move on. At this point in his career, the Spurs are just a job for him. Duncan looked devastated after the Finals. Parker looked pissed/depressed. Manu didn't seem to care one way or another. Being a TOSB and the 5th option on offense seems to have taken the fire away from Ginobili. Since he was a role player during this championship run he wasn't as emotionally invested in the outcome. This is probably why he's so eager to play for Argentina again - it's the only chance he'll have at being the top dog for a team in an official competition.

Chinook
07-12-2013, 03:57 AM
Thanks, Nono. I didn't feel like translating myself tonight.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2013, 04:51 AM
RC says Manu sacrificed and Manu says there were no offers. Sorry, but Manu didn't sacrifice anything. I hope he manages to live up to the contract because the Spurs will need him to do just that.

chapnis
07-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Manu would have been harder on himself if he played this bad for Argentina in a Gold medal game. But because it was the Spurs, it's easier for him to move on. At this point in his career, the Spurs are just a job for him. Duncan looked devastated after the Finals. Parker looked pissed/depressed. Manu didn't seem to care one way or another. Being a TOSB and the 5th option on offense seems to have taken the fire away from Ginobili. Since he was a role player during this championship run he wasn't as emotionally invested in the outcome. This is probably why he's so eager to play for Argentina again - it's the only chance he'll have at being the top dog for a team in an official competition.

I have no problem with him playing for Argentina every summer. He should be allowed to represent his country dammit. In every other sport around the world players are free to play for their country so why should it be any different for Manu?

racm
07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
I have no problem with him playing for Argentina every summer. He should be allowed to represent his country dammit. In every other sport around the world players are free to play for their country so why should it be any different for Manu?

Because to some fans the only thing he's good for is trying to churn out LOBs?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-12-2013, 09:40 AM
NO MORE INT'L BASKETBALL. I bet that was a contract stipulation this Summer b/c RC specifically said in his news conference that Manu was going to spend the whole Summer resting, meaning he is not playing for Argentina this summer.

Manu gave his word that he was retiring from Int'l play last year after the Olympics. He needs to keep it and focus on winning another title for the Spurs.

racm
07-12-2013, 09:42 AM
NO MORE INT'L BASKETBALL. I bet that was a contract stipulation this Summer b/c RC specifically said in his news conference that Manu was going to spend the whole Summer resting, meaning he is not playing for Argentina this summer.

Manu gave his word that he was retiring from Int'l play last year after the Olympics. He needs to keep it and focus on winning another title for the Spurs.

Manu wants #4 so bad, tbh, but he's not just here to win titles for Spurfan.

Mel_13
07-12-2013, 09:46 AM

link?

Mel_13
07-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the translation, ElNono.

emanueldavidginobili
07-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I wonder what teams reached out to Manu. I can't wait to see how Manu plays next season he knows he played bad and wants to prove he can still play

Brazil
07-12-2013, 12:20 PM
A Manu's thread and no post from TheGreatYacht ?

wait... :lmao

silverblackfan
07-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Great article. Thanks for the translation ElNono. Manu is always so honest. I truly hope he can find a way to improve his playing this year. He's a smart guy, I am sure he will figure out how best to help the team.