PDA

View Full Version : 76ers negotiations with Dalembert take a turn for the worse

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 05:52 PM
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

It looks like negotiations between the Philadelphia 76ers and restricted free agent Samuel Dalembert took a turn for the worse on Monday.

The two sides have been negotiating for three weeks but have been unable to come to terms on a new contract. Over the course of the last week, there has been a great level of frustration on both sides.

On Monday, Dalembert's agent, Marc Cornstein, said Dalembert had scheduled a visit in Atlanta with the Hawks on Monday, July 25.

In an e-mail to Insider, Sixers general manager Billy King said the Sixers are still determined to match any offer for Dalembert.

"Sam will be in Philly whether it is at our number or a number that someone else sets," King wrote. "HE WILL BE IN PHILADELPHIA ONE WAY OR ANOTHER."

When asked about King's stance, Cornstein acted surprised.

"We're getting mixed messages," Cornstein said. "They've drawn a line in the sand with Sammy's contract with what they're willing to pay. Yet he's telling you they'll match any offer. There is a huge gap between Philadelphia's offer and what other teams under the salary cap can offer."

The Hawks are roughly $23 million under the cap -- enough money to make a run at two top-tier free agents. The Hawks are believed to have earmarked roughly half that amount for free agent Joe Johnson. They want to add a center with the rest of it. Restricted free agent Eddy Curry visited the Hawks last week, but left Atlanta without a contract offer.

If the Hawks do sign Dalembert to an offer sheet (when the player signing moratorium ends), the Sixers would have seven days to match the offer.

Of the three top free agent big men on the market -- Curry and Tyson Chandler are the other two -- Dalembert has the most upside. He has great range and is athletic, with great shot blocking instincts. He's shown he can be a volume rebounder and his offensive game is emerging. He was very inconsistent at times this season, but in the playoffs against the Pistons, he played the part of a franchise center, averaging 12.8 rebounds per game in the playoffs against the Pistons' tough front line.

The Sixers made a power move this offseason, firing head coach Jim O'Brien, who wasn't a Dalembert fan, and replacing him with Mo Cheeks, who is. Philly let it be known that O'Brien was fired, in part, because the Sixers are committed to Dalembert. That's been enough to discourage other teams from pursuing Dalembert.

However, Philly apparently has drawn a line in the sand millions away from a max-type offer Dalembert is seeking. Dalembert, who's had a rocky four years, with four different coaches in just the last two years, hasn't been impressed.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-18-2005, 06:58 PM
This is comical, I don't blame Philly one bit. Yeah, the kid's got talent, but he's about as consistent a player as Tpark is a poster.

Just because he's tall doesn't mean he's a max player.

King
07-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Johnson and Dalembert/Curry could give Atlanta a little hope. At least more than they've had since Nique.

Guru of Nothing
07-18-2005, 08:43 PM
This is comical, I don't blame Philly one bit. Yeah, the kid's got talent, but he's about as consistent a player as Tpark is a poster.

Just because he's tall doesn't mean he's a max player.

For the sake of ATL fans, I hope they get Dalembert, and not Curry.

Between being in O'Brien's doghouse and playing alongside AI, it's difficult to fairly assess Dalembert. Too bad Atlanta did not draft one of the top 2 PGs in this draft. They could have fielded a very exciting team: PG: Illinios guy or Wake Forest guy; SG: Joe Johnson; SF: One of the 2 Joshes; PF: Al Harrington; C: Dalembert.

I'd pay money to watch that team.

milkyway21
07-18-2005, 11:19 PM
speaking of Philadelphia, what's the current status of Chris Webb? Is he going to get traded?

TheTruth
07-18-2005, 11:23 PM
He was very inconsistent at times this season, but in the playoffs against the Pistons, he played the part of a franchise center, averaging 12.8 rebounds per game in the playoffs against the Pistons' tough front line.
Ahh, another player cashing in on one good playoff series.

speaking of Philadelphia, what's the current status of Chris Webb? Is he going to get traded?
who would take that contract now? better call isiah.

Spursdaone
07-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Dalembert is for real. This guy is the next Ben Wallace. Once he gets stronger he will do everything. He is extremely athletic and young. Philadelphia was terrible once he left the game. Good job O'Brien for your system that takes everyone out of their comfort area. He doesn't play you to your strengths like most coaches do.

milkyway21
07-18-2005, 11:30 PM
who would take that contract now? better call isiah:D too bad

who would think this player would be in this position now 4 yrs ago? Hmmnn.....:rolleyes

Rummpd
07-19-2005, 05:19 AM
Somebody has to say it:

Rasho plus whatever to get Dalembert in a sign and trade. Dalembert is for real.

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 05:23 AM
Somebody has to say it:

Rasho plus whatever to get Dalembert in a sign and trade. Dalembert is for real.
DREAM ON!!!!

AI-square
07-19-2005, 05:37 AM

Chris Webber will stay in Philly. Billy King tried so hard to get him last season and he does not want to get rid of him at all. He's undergoing rehabilitation for his bad knee and hopes to be in good shape for the coming season.

Regarding Dalembert, well, the Sixers are in a bad way because they want to keep both Korver and Dalembert, and they can't offer Samuel as much as Atlanta could.

I sure hope Dalembert stays in Philadelphia. I don't think there's a young Center with as much potential in the league. He suffered under O'Brien's system but I see enough signs to believe that he is a beast waiting to be unleashed.

1Parker1
07-19-2005, 07:41 AM
God, I feel embarrassed for us. Sixers keep getting worse every year it seems!!!

ALVAREZ6
07-19-2005, 03:34 PM
He's staying.

ALVAREZ6
07-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Allen Iverson
Andre Iguodala
Kyle Korver
Chris Webber
Samuel Dalembert

That's not a bad team for the east, I think they will do better this season. If Dalembert doesn't sign with the Sixers, and they can somehow get a pretty good center with size, they should be fine.

Horry For 3!
07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Dalembert is pretty solid and can become a great player.

Horry For 3!
07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Allen Iverson
Andre Iguodala
Kyle Korver
Chris Webber
Samuel Dalembert

That's not a bad team for the east, I think they will do better this season. If Dalembert doesn't sign with the Sixers, and they can somehow get a pretty good center with size, they should be fine.
They have Marc Jackson, I believe. He played a lot last year at the C spot.

AI-square
07-19-2005, 05:40 PM

Yep, Marc Jackson usually backs up as C or PF. Jamal Mashburn looks set to retire while Billy King doesn't seem to be putting in much effort into keeping Rodney Rogers.

ALVAREZ6
07-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Yeah. He's been on the team since the year 03-04 season. He's a good player, but he lacks in size. I know 6'10" isn't really that small for a big guy, but with that height he needs to be more athletic. Marc Jackson can't jump for shit, but I really like him. He gives a lot of heart and is one of the team leaders.

Dalembert is going to continue to improve. That guy is really athletic and has great endurance. Dalembert is sort of like Tim Duncan in a way. Dalembert was a soccer player for his whole life until he grew so much, and being that tall is a disadvantage for soccer; it's hard to have good footwork, and footwork is basically the most important part of soccer.
And we all know the story of how Duncan was a swimmer in the Virgin Islands...

AI-square
07-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Parker
Manu
Bowen
Duncan
Dalembert

I can dream

Damn that's scary.

ALVAREZ6
07-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Parker
Manu
Bowen
Duncan
Dalembert

I can dream
Parker
Manu
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

I can dream

Spursdaone
07-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Parker
Ginobili
Bowen
Duncan
Mohammad

M. James as 6th man

I can dream.

Sense
07-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Parker
Ginobili
Ginobili
Duncan
Duncan

I can dream.

caspian
07-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Parker
Manu
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

I can dream

You'd honestly 'dream' of Oberto over Dalembert?...what, just cuz he's from Argentina?

Dre_7
07-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Rasho, Rights to Scola, pick?? (dont know how that works with :bling, dont know much about cap stuff, but it would make a heck of a team) for Dalembert.

1. Parker - Beno
2. Manu - Barry
3. Bowen - Brown and/or Big Dogg and/or LJ III and/or Whoever they get
4. Duncan - Oberto and Horry
5. Dalembert - Nazr

^ Now that would be sick!!!!

Kori Ellis
07-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Sixers struggling to sign Dalembert
BY MARC NARDUCCI
Knight Ridder Newspapers

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12192699.htm

PHILADELPHIA - (KRT) - The 76ers remain in limbo with restricted free-agent center Samuel Dalembert, but it isn't because of a lack of effort.

Sixers president and general manager Billy King was in New York on Wednesday night for NBA business and also met with Dalembert's agent, Marc Cornstein.

"Nothing new to report," King responded last night in an e-mail.

Asked if the sides would meet before Monday, when Dalembert is scheduled to visit the Atlanta Hawks, King replied: "Who knows?"

Cornstein could not be reached for comment.

According to sources, the Sixers realize that they would have to go higher than the six-year, $36 million deal that Milwaukee center Dan Gadzuric agreed to on July 12.

But how much higher?

Since the Sixers have the right to match any offer, King has maintained since the negotiating period began on July 1 that he would do just that. Atlanta is one of the few teams that has enough space under the cap to make a sizable offer to Dalembert.

The Hawks have tendered restricted free agent Joe Johnson of the Phoenix Suns a five-year, $70 million offer.

There is belief around the league that Phoenix may not match the offer to the swingman, despite originally saying it would.

The Suns have two huge contracts with forward Shawn Marion and guard Steve Nash and will eventually need to offer the maximum to keep all-star center Amare Stoudemire in the fold.

If Phoenix doesn't match the Hawks' offer, it likely would benefit the Sixers. Atlanta, despite its desperate need for a center, would have less to offer either Dalembert or restricted Chicago free agent Eddy Curry, who has already visited the team.

No matter what happens, one thing is for sure: Nobody from any team is signing a contract Friday, which was supposed to be the day the moratorium on signing free agents was to be lifted.

The NBA announced on Wednesday that its free-agent singing period was delayed indefinitely as league and union officials work to finish a new collective-bargaining agreement.

"There is nothing new to report," NBA vice president of basketball communications Tim Frank said last night.

It is believed that the earliest the moratorium could be lifted is the middle of next week.

T Park
07-22-2005, 12:13 AM
If Phoenix doesn't match the Hawks' offer, it likely would benefit the Sixers. Atlanta, despite its desperate need for a center, would have less to offer either Dalembert or restricted Chicago free agent Eddy Curry, who has already visited the team.

Wich is where the Spurs step in, and trade them Nesterovic and Scola, for Childress...

Perfect!!! :)