PDA

View Full Version : Formula Music vs Formula Movies

UZER
07-12-2013, 07:54 PM
"Pop" songs/music are simply formula songs that have certain chord progression with a catchy hook. If its catchy, it catchy. I take it for what it is and enjoy the hook if its good.

Why is it that "pop" music is absolutely despised, yet a lot of formulas movies are taken with a grain of salt for what they are? I hear people always say, "man I wanna see that movie, I know what it is, but im still gonna enjoy it," which I can personally understand. But a lot of those same people run around with their noses up to a pop song and run from it like its the plague.

Dont get me wrong, I understand there are music snobs and movie snobs, but it seems most people will tolerate a formula movie more than they will a pop song.

I enjoy the Billy Madison type movies but I i know its not gonna win best picture, just like I enjoy certain pop songs but I know its not a super thought provoking written tune. Sometimes they just hit a little spot of enjoyment for 3 minutes or 90 minutes. Its doesnt mean I am unable to understand and appreciate the depth of certain great songs, or movies.

If you are so hung up on rebelling against "the machine", then you shouldnt drink coke, or pepsi, or starbucks; or eat mcds, or jack in the box, or burger king; or wear nikes, or reeboks, or addidas, etc.

Just curious as to what y'all think.

TeyshaBlue
07-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Has a lot to do with exposure. We are saturated with radio day in day out. Movies are still more of an "occasion/activity".

Avante
07-12-2013, 11:27 PM
It's all gone downhill to be honest. The best music/movies have already been done. It's like furniture it's just not built the same anymore. Hit an antique shop then look at the shit we have today pertaining to everything.

I've tried to listen to todays music, I can't...it sucks. The movies are ok if you go to dig the special effects. But the day of the great movie are long gone.

UZER
07-13-2013, 02:15 PM
It's all gone downhill to be honest. The best music/movies have already been done. It's like furniture it's just not built the same anymore. Hit an antique shop then look at the shit we have today pertaining to everything.

I've tried to listen to todays music, I can't...it sucks. The movies are ok if you go to dig the special effects. But the day of the great movie are long gone.

Like it or not, every generation says the same thing. We'd all like to think ours was the best, or the generation right before was better.

Avante
07-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Like it or not, every generation says the same thing. We'd all like to think ours was the best, or the generation right before was better.

I have never understood that. What is ...my generation...? Am I not here right now, but this can't be ...my generation..why not?

UZER
07-13-2013, 03:15 PM
I have never understood that. What is ...my generation...? Am I not here right now, but this can't be ...my generation..why not?

Dont think to hard about it. Its just a general reference to what people listened to in their younger years. But its getting off topic.

My question is why is it so "uncool" to like a pop song, but its ok to like movies that lack any depth because they have "good special effects"? Is that not similar as having a good hook?

Also, you can still hate a group or artist or type of music (music is purely subjective), but can still like a song; just like you can hate an actor, but enjoy a roll they played in a particular movie.

CitizenDwayne
07-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Why is it that "pop" music is absolutely despised, yet a lot of formulas movies are taken with a grain of salt for what they are? I hear people always say, "man I wanna see that movie, I know what it is, but im still gonna enjoy it," which I can personally understand. But a lot of those same people run around with their noses up to a pop song and run from it like its the plague.

This is a great point actually. The same people who hate on contemporary pop music with a passion are the same who bash people who criticize superhero movies ("Hey man, for a superhero movie, it gives you what you'd expect!!!")