PDA

View Full Version : Wizards interested in Blair, looking at a S&T.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bruno
07-13-2013, 09:07 AM

JR3
07-13-2013, 09:09 AM
I might be unmoved by choices too...

lmbebo
07-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Not sure there is anyone on there roster spurs would want ... Singleton?

JR3
07-13-2013, 09:10 AM
How about a first round draft pick? Lol

jyra
07-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Seraphin? You can never have enough Frenchmen on your roster.

Bruno
07-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Ariza, Vesely, Booker, Séraphin and Singleton sound like potential candidates in a S&T.

Ariza would be the one able to help Spurs immediately. Vesely and Singleton could be decent reclamation projects.

Russo21
07-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Kevin Seraphin was ok the few games I saw him play. Wouldn't mind him on the team.

Texas_Ranger
07-13-2013, 09:18 AM
yes to ariza

has he picked his player option??

#2!
07-13-2013, 09:25 AM
if ariza is on the table he fits our need for a backup shooting forward. Not the AK dream fit, but I imagine he can still defend.

Yuixafun
07-13-2013, 09:26 AM
John Wall =)

I need 5
07-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Trevor Ariza would be perfect for us. He has championship pedigree. He plays excellent defense and has improved his shooting.

Yuixafun
07-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Ariza..

I remember thinking the last time the Lakers won a Championship, that Ariza was making Robert Horry type plays, getting steals, making plays hitting big 3's.

I came away impressed by his nuance.

And then the next year he went to the Rockets and the Lakers failed to 3-peat.

I felt letting him go was a mistake, not that he was a main cog, but he was a key component... he was like what made them complete at the time.

lmbebo
07-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Doesn't ariza make like $8 mil?

Vash StampedE
07-13-2013, 09:31 AM
If it can work salary-wise and other-things-wise, Ariza!!!

coachmac87
07-13-2013, 09:33 AM
How many years does Ariza have left on contract? It'd probably be easier salary rise to get Singleton...but he's been a bust and can't shoot to save his life

coachmac87
07-13-2013, 09:34 AM
If Ariza is expiring..Spurs better do it. Especially if they were gonna pay AK 7-8mil

jyra
07-13-2013, 09:40 AM
If Ariza is expiring..Spurs better do it. Especially if they were gonna pay AK 7-8mil

Ariza's contract is expiring, 7.7m player option that he picked up a couple of weeks ago. The Wizards could actually use a guy like Bonner to stretch the floor for Nêne and Okafor. Bonner+Blair for Ariza would work both teams, tbh.

*cue the "Pop loves Matty too much to give him up" rants*

Bruno
07-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Ariza is a $7.7M expiring contract. Bonner + Blair should work salary wise.

The reason why Wizards are looking at a S&T is because they are only $2M below the tax threshold. If Blair asking prize is $3M, they just can't sign him without paying the tax.

AFBlue
07-13-2013, 09:44 AM
If it includes Bonner, it isn't going to happen.

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Don Newman

Gino2882
07-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Trevor Ariza would actually be a pretty good fit for what this team currently needs.

coachmac87
07-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Then IMO its a no brainer...

Curious to what Ariza thinks bout coming off bench..he'd probably give the ok to get traded here before Spurs consider it. Spurs are being extremely careful on disrupting chemistry/roles

MeloHype
07-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Pls get Ariza.

Mikeanaro
07-13-2013, 09:51 AM
ARIZA!!!

Texas_Ranger
07-13-2013, 09:51 AM
if it would be Blair+Bonner for Ariza the Spurs would be idiots not to do it.

coachmac87
07-13-2013, 09:52 AM
If they do get Ariza could they trade him at deadline if things down work out??

Texas_Ranger
07-13-2013, 09:53 AM
will this reach 20 pages? :lol

Ron Swanson
07-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Ariza would be a nice fit.

Bruno
07-13-2013, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't be against a De Colo + Blair for Vesely.

Vesely has been terrible in Washington but he was very promising in Europe. Wizards selfish losing basketball is an horrible fit for him and he would be so much better in Spurs system. Chip can also help him to fix his shot.

lmbebo
07-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Vesely has been terrible in Washington but he was very promising in Europe. Wizards selfish losing basketball is an horrible fit for him and he would be so much better in Spurs system. Chip can also help him to fix his shot.

+1

SpursFan86
07-13-2013, 10:01 AM
What about Otto Porter? Think the Wizards would be completely against giving him up?

Kingsly Alexander
Ariza's contract is expiring, 7.7m player option that he picked up a couple of weeks ago. The Wizards could actually use a guy like Bonner to stretch the floor for Nêne and Okafor. Bonner+Blair for Ariza would work both teams, tbh.

Completely agree. Not a single stretch 4 on their roster besides maybe singleton, who isn't anywhere near what Bonner is shown he's capable of from behind the line. Plus his expiring contract would make it more enticing.

If it includes Bonner, it isn't going to happen.

I think Pop and RC have to put 2 and 2 together and figure that the man is a choke artist and after 4 yrs isn't going grow a pair at this point in his career.

Texas_Ranger
Vesely was amazing in Europe for his age. Even won the FIBA Euro Young player of the year in 2010. Wouldn't mind him and I think he could play much, much better in the Spurs system cause right now he looks like a bust.

kobyz
07-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Ariza + Booker and a first for Blair + Bonner and De Colo

Baam
07-13-2013, 10:03 AM

I like it as well but that's a lot of money for such a raw project so I don't think they'd go for it, maybe if they didn't sign Pendergraph already they would have done it...

bklynspursfan
07-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Completely agree. Not a single stretch 4 on their roster besides maybe singleton, who isn't anywhere near what Bonner is shown he's capable of from behind the line. Plus his expiring contract would make it more enticing.

I think Pop and RC have to put 2 and 2 together and figure that the man is a choke artist and after 4 yrs isn't going grow a pair at this point in his career.

Bonner actually had a fairly good playoff run. He didn't get a lot of time and won't depending on matchups. But against LA & the Grizz? He was a huge key to the success of the team. On both ends of the court, he was really impressive

Texas_Ranger
07-13-2013, 10:05 AM
I don't think Seraphin is available cause he played pretty good for them last season. The guys on the table are probably Vesely, Singleton, Booker and Ariza.

xellos88330
07-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Jan Vesely looks like an interesting idea. I remember wanting him in the draft.

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Bonner actually had a fairly good playoff run. He didn't get a lot of time and won't depending on matchups. But against LA & the Grizz? He was a huge key to the success of the team. On both ends of the court, he was really impressive

Agreed. this yr. but in yrs passed in the early rounds?

Mel_13
07-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Pretty sure it was TD21 that mentioned Washington as a team with a glut of SFs. Logical trading partner.

CGD
07-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Thought we'd be talking about Neal and SnT before Blair, but here we are. Spurs need to send out two players and get one back if they are going to keep the negotiating posture with respect to Neal. Otherwise teams know the spurs will be desperrate to include another player in a Neal SnT or else risk losing him outright.

I like the thought of Ariza, and the Spurs can sent out more than one player to avoid the problem above. if they ship out Nando and Mills the Spurs probably resign Neal. Hopefully they can net a 2nd rounder next year too.

loveforthegame
07-13-2013, 10:39 AM
I hate getting my hopes up but thankfully it's Woj reporting it.

Ariza would be welcomed. Especially fits the win right now plan. Not sure we could luck out with Vesely though. Interesting prospect for sure.

CGD
07-13-2013, 10:39 AM
With respect to Vesely when would the Spurs have to decide on his 4.2m team option for next year?

Mel_13
07-13-2013, 10:40 AM
With respect to Vesely when would the Spurs have to decide on his 4.2m team option for next year?

Oct 31st.

CGD
07-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Oct 31st.
Probably a deal breaker for me. He's owed 5.6m the year after that too.

PlayNando
07-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Get Jan Veselý, RC..........

International intelligence needs to be acquired............

Play Veselý................................

Budkin
07-13-2013, 10:46 AM
:lol y'all are crazy if you think they'll give up Ariza.

Mel_13
07-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Probably a deal breaker for me. He's owed 5.6m the year after that too.

That's the projected amount of his qualifying off. 2014-15 is the last (4th) year of his rookie contract, assuming that the 4th year option is picked up in October.

Otherwise, I agree. Would rather have Booker or Singleton as a Kawhi backup.

ducks
07-13-2013, 10:50 AM
if spurs get a pick I would be thrilled for blair

Kermit
07-13-2013, 10:52 AM

He is precious to them?

Vic Petro
07-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Don Newman

:toast

jmanu20
07-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Ariza would be a good backup for Kawhi. Vesely would be neat if only to further expand the international flavor of the Spurs roster.

Mel_13

They just used the 3rd overall pick on a SF and signed Martell Webster to the full MLE. They also have 3 other players on rookie contracts who can play SF. Ariza is most definitely expendable.

exstatic

Dude, he was salary ballast to make the Okafor trade work. He's played horrible for them, except maybe 4-6 weeks last year. His stock is not high.

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 10:58 AM

Webster, Gee, Porter, Singelton. It's not all that crazy considering he's a 20-25 min guy avg 9 pts a game

K-State Spur
07-13-2013, 10:59 AM

They've made commitments to Webster & Porter @ the 3. Ariza's contract is pretty high for a rebuilding team that will only give him spot minutes.

Mel_13
07-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Webster, Gee, Porter, Singelton. It's not all that crazy considering he's a 20-25 min guy avg 9 pts a game

Gee is a Cav. not a Wiz.

DesignatedT
07-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Ariza for Blair and Bonner would be great. He's close to 6'9 in shoes, can shoot, defend and is expiring.

elemento
07-13-2013, 11:04 AM
I would like Seraphin in a S&T

Vesely is a massive bust and so is Singleton.

cjw
07-13-2013, 11:09 AM

Vesely has a team option next year so if the staff didn't like what they saw, they could easily hit the reset button next offseason. Then there's a restricted qualifying offer the next year (same situation is Leonard but paid more - nice job on that pick Wizards). No idea why a team that had no shot at the playoffs didn't try harder at developing him last season by playing him just 12 minutes a game. I guess his foul shooting was really that bad. But it's not like Okafor is ever going to be a key piece in your puzzle.

Wiz seemed to like Seraphin more who is just a year older. Do you think Vesely still has more untapped potential? Not sure what I think on Ariza - he may be a chucker on a bad team but a nice tool for a good team. Another consideration is the Wiz have a decent shot at the playoffs (I see two of them, Detroit and Cleveland making it) this year so (1) their draft pick isn't going to be THAT good, albeit in a stacked draft and (2) a guy like Ariza will help them win games

Darius McCrary
07-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Dude, he was salary ballast to make the Okafor trade work. He's played horrible for them, except maybe 4-6 weeks last year. His stock is not high.

Exactly. This isn't 2008.

Vic Petro
07-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Re: Spurs not wanting to trade Bonner, I know its mostly a joke, but can't we pretty much surmise that Bonner was in the S&T the Spurs wanted to do with Minnesota for Kirilenko? If they were going to pay him $8-9m as reported wouldn't Bonner's contract had to have been in the deal?

Budkin

Ok I stand corrected. Thought he was still a baller.

couchman
I'd gladly take back junk if they'll throw in a 1st round pick. No way they give us a 2014, but maybe a 2015 or 2016?

bklynspursfan
07-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Agreed. this yr. but in yrs passed in the early rounds?

For sure, but I think the fact that he has improved should be a testament to his hard work. You want guys to improve and not necessarily regress, and he's definitely done that.

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 11:22 AM
S&T Neal & Blair for an combined annual sal of 7-8 mil + Bonner and De Colo for Okafor's expiring contract plus a 1st Rd. pick and the rights to Emir Preldžić.

Domt know how in the hell this would work, but whatever

Bruno
07-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Vesely has a team option next year so if the staff didn't like what they saw, they could easily hit the reset button next offseason.

The deadline to pick Vesely 2014-2015 team option is November 1st 2013. They will have to decide at the end of the training camp.

Wiz seemed to like Seraphin more who is just a year older. Do you think Vesely still has more untapped potential?

I'm not a huge fan of Seraphin. He isn't a good defender or rebounder and is soft offensively (rarely get to the line). I would go with Vesely over him even if his NBA career has been a disaster so far.

Bruno
07-13-2013, 11:25 AM
My perfect S&T scenario with Washington would be Bonner + De Colo + Blair for Ariza +Vesely.
To make it work it would require Blair being paid $4M per year. If Washington isn't ready to pay him that much, Mills or Baynes could be added to match salaries.

Mugen
07-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Ariza would be a great backup SF option. He's the only one I'd be interested in a potential trade with Washington tbh.

xmas1997
07-13-2013, 11:28 AM
My perfect S&T scenario with Washington would be Bonner + De Colo + Blair for Ariza +Vesely.
To make it work it would require Blair being paid $4M per year. If Washington isn't ready to pay him that much, Mills or Baynes could be added to match salaries.

Would rather add Baynes and then go big time for Oden to replace him.

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 11:29 AM
For sure, but I think the fact that he has improved should be a testament to his hard work. You want guys to improve and not necessarily regress, and he's definitely done that.

Sure, but in all do respect when you reach the pinnacle do ur season and u come up flat, after 4 yrs of failure it's hard to imagine him maturing to the point where he could have a Steve Kerr type impact all of a sudden at the age of 33

ducks
07-13-2013, 11:30 AM
then you cut him not a big deal
spurs need a backup sf

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Gee is a Cav. not a Wiz.

Mixed up my ex spurs. Meant Temple

benefactor
07-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Ariza would be fine as a backup SF. He's getting paid too much and has sucked when given too much responsibility but in a smaller role he'd be helpful to the Spurs. The Spurs need for size on the perimeter is glaring, so the cost/need part of the scenario can be somewhat overlooked.

exstatic
07-13-2013, 11:35 AM
I would like Seraphin in a S&T

Vesely is a massive bust and so is Singleton.

Green was a bust in CLE. Guys who fail in unstructured systems thrive with the Spurs.

Man In Black
07-13-2013, 11:40 AM
I always thought Ariza was a solid role player and a good defender. It would seem that his wingspan is almost equal to Kawhi's. Ariza's Wingspan is 7-2. Forthe record, Kawhi's is 7-3.

With a wingspan some 9 inches longer than he is tall at 6-6, Leonard has one of the most unique physical profiles in this class. His hands, as expected, are absolutely gigantic, ranking him amongst 7'0 foot centers in terms of hand width and length. His 7-3 wingspan is amongst the largest ever for a player 6-6 or under. Leonard's 227-pound frame actually weights in heavier than many of the power forwards in this class, which only adds to sentiments that he'll be able to guard the power forward position for stretches at the next level.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2YwcJvtnm
http://www.draftexpress.com[/quote]

Trevor Ariza

Overview: [b]A very athletic small forward who was developing into an impact player before getting hurt last season. Has good size for the small forward position and a 7-2 wingspan. Possesses great quickness and moves laterally as well as some point guards. Shows explosive leaping ability. Uses his athleticism to be effective. Gets out in transition and is a capable finisher. Doesn’t have much of a jump shot. Can be effective as a slasher. Had shown signs of development offensively before getting injured with the Magic in 2006. Can bring a lot to the table as a defender and rebounder due to his athleticism. Still has quite a bit of upside considering his age relative to players of similar experience levels. Spent only one season at UCLA before entering the draft. Needs to improve his skill-level considerably to reach his potential, particularly with his outside shooting, as well as add bulk to his frame, but has the tools to be a very solid player.

Offense: Gets a fifth of his offense from each of fast breaks, spot ups, and cuts off the ball. Somewhat limited offensively in the half-court. A very poor shooter, particularly from beyond the arc. Mechanics aren’t terrible, but consistency isn’t there at this point. Has a tendency to rush his shot at times. Won’t do a lot of damage off the dribble—ball-handling skills are average, but his first step is terrific. Gets most of his shots at the rim, where he is a very good finisher (among the best in the league actually). Uses his explosive leaping ability and outstanding extension to rise above the defense and dunk the ball in traffic. Shows solid touch at the rim when he can’t dunk the ball. Gets to the free throw line at an excellent rate, but doesn’t shoot a good percentage. Put up great numbers as a slasher in Orlando before getting injuries. Still trying to round back into form. Moves extremely well without the ball. Does a good job of getting up the floor in transition and reading his teammates in half court sets. Good offensive rebounder. Doesn’t turn the ball over and shows solid passing ability. Has shown potential, but needs to find the right atmosphere for his offensive skills. Doesn’t get many opportunities at this point. Still a fairly efficient guy, which helps.

Defense: A versatile defender that can defend both perimeter positions effectively. Has the lateral quickness, size, and athleticism to be a very good defender. Shows a good work ethic and a willingness to mix it up in the lane. Uses his length to make plays in passing lanes. Displays very good anticipation. One of the best in the NBA per-minute at coming up with steals. Doesn’t block a lot of shots or commit many fouls, but does a good job contesting shots. Will box out and pursue rebounds at a terrific rate. Possesses all the physical tools necessary to be a great defender in extended minutes, but will have to improve in other areas to get more than rotation minutes.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2Ywby8UBX
http://www.draftexpress.com

palangi
07-13-2013, 11:40 AM

this right here. vesely or singleton would be my choice. we are only looking for a guy to play 8-12 minutes behind kawhi. ariza won't be game for that.

elemento
07-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Green was a bust in CLE. Guys who fail in unstructured systems thrive with the Spurs.

Hard to be a bust as a 46th pick. Vesely was a top 6 pick. Danny was never given the chance in CLE. Even in SA it took sometime for him to adapt and get a chance. No wonder he was cut twice.

I don't doubt that they could thrive in the Spurs system as you said, but I'd rather get Seraphin. I think he is the better player now and in the future.

Man In Black
07-13-2013, 11:56 AM
this right here. vesely or singleton would be my choice. we are only looking for a guy to play 8-12 minutes behind kawhi. ariza won't be game for that.
If the Spurs want to limit Kawhi's minutes the way they do for the Big 3, then that 12 minutes now becomes 15-20. If the drop-off is mitigated because Ariza's playing well in the regular season, for the playoffs, that means Kawhi turns into a beast.

I look at it as, neither Vesely or Singleton has ever played under the spotlight that is the NBA Finals, much less the playoffs themselves. Ariza's experience is such that Pop could throw him in there against MIA in a small lineup. Kawhi could check LeBron. Green could check DWade and ARIZA could hound Miller or Allen or Battier on those shots at the arc. I have no confidence in Vesely or Singleton to do that considering they haven't proven to be solid NBA defenders in the first place.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/washington-wizards-jan-vesely-chris-singleton-have-much-to-prove/2013/07/11/6167e93c-ea65-11e2-aa9f-c03a72e2d342_story.html

“I always feel pressure,” Singleton said. “I control my situation, but I don’t control my situation. My play will show that they should pick me up, but I’ll be going out there fighting for other teams if they don’t. I’m just going to play my best. Pick up my intensity and be the defender that I used to be.”

Vesely, the sixth overall pick in 2011, had the more disappointing season of the two, with his production moving in reverse from an uneven rookie season and his confidence shattered. He struggled to keep his point and rebound totals above his personal fouls and was afraid to draw contact because it usually resulted in a trip to the dreaded free throw line, where he shot an anemic 30.8 percent. Vesely even told teammate A.J. Price that he was scared to shoot free throws.

“The only thing was I found myself fighting with myself, just to get my head straight,” Vesely said. “To stay ready all the time is hard. I learned from this season and I worked this offseason to stay ready every second.”

playblair
07-13-2013, 12:00 PM
This is pure speculation here, but it's more likely than not that the choices in question would include one of Washington's players who are still on their rookie contract, more likely than not Jan Vesely (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/150202/jan-vesely), Chris Singleton (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/150203/chris-singleton) or Trevor Booker (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/112570/trevor-booker), all of whom make roughly the amount in salary that Blair will command on the open (http://www.sbnation.com/british-open) market. Booker would make the most sense for both teams, since their skill sets are almost exactly the same.
Despite being only 6'7, Blair is one of the better rebounders in the NBA and could help make up for some of Seraphin's deficiencies if they were paired together

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/7/13/4520118/nba-free-agency-rumours-washington-has-interest-in-dejuan-blair

Chinook
07-13-2013, 12:05 PM
I like the idea of adding Vesely only if he'd spend most of his minutes playing the four. That's really his NBA position right now, and unless he learns to shoot, he really can't even spend a few minutes at the three. I'd prefer a straight-up deal between Blair and Singleton, but it's not easy to match salaries when they're so small. A Blair and Bonner for Singlton and Vesely trade wouldn't be horrible.

timvp
07-13-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm not a huge fan of any of those options ... but if we're talking a Blair sign-and-trade, it's not like the Spurs would be giving up anything of value since they'd let Blair walk anyways.

Ariza would be my top choice. He seems to have gotten over the stage in his career where he thought he was a budding superstar. If he can get back to being a role player -- and there have been signs of that the last year or two -- he's pretty damn valuable to a contender off the bench. Getting him in a contract year would likely mean he'll be extra motivated.

I like Seraphin's potential due to his athleticism, even though he had a bad year last season.

I'm pretty damn low on Vesely. He's looked like the worst player in the NBA since he has stepped on the court. But considering he'd be basically had for free and considering San Antonio's need for a small forward, I'd be okay getting him.

Singleton has also been pretty damn terrible. He has his moments on D but he looks like a bust. Making things worse, he supposedly spends his time off the court either at strip clubs or buying lottery tickets by the thousands. But, again, in a Blair sign-and-trade, I'd be okay with the Spurs rolling the dice.

palangi
07-13-2013, 12:06 PM
because playing in washington gives you tons of opportunities. i would say we don't know what either singleton or vesely can do in such situations until they leave washington.

If the Spurs want to limit Kawhi's minutes the way they do for the Big 3, then that 12 minutes now becomes 15-20. If the drop-off is mitigated because Ariza's playing well in the regular season, for the playoffs, that means Kawhi turns into a beast.

I look at it as, neither Vesely or Singleton has ever played under the spotlight that is the NBA Finals, much less the playoffs themselves. Ariza's experience is such that Pop could throw him in there against MIA in a small lineup. Kawhi could check LeBron. Green could check DWade and ARIZA could hound Miller or Allen or Battier on those shots at the arc. I have no confidence in Vesely or Singleton to do that considering they haven't proven to be solid NBA defenders in the first place.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/washington-wizards-jan-vesely-chris-singleton-have-much-to-prove/2013/07/11/6167e93c-ea65-11e2-aa9f-c03a72e2d342_story.html

Mel_13
07-13-2013, 12:06 PM
http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/7/13/4520118/nba-free-agency-rumours-washington-has-interest-in-dejuan-blair

For some reason, your quote cut off at this point:

He can't shoot, protect the rim or move his feet particularly well on the perimeter, though, so he'd only be of any use to the team as a fourth or fifth big man. He also doesn't have ACLs so his long-term health is always going to be a question mark.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 12:08 PM

In addition to that, if Bonner goes in the deal, the Spurs will have a need for a shooting forward. The team will probably go small a lot, and Ariza will either get minutes at the three when Kawhi is the four or even at the four when Green, Belinelli or Ginobili play the three. Just like with Kirilenko, the Spurs can easily find 20 minutes for a combo-forward.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 12:08 PM
For some reason, your quote cut off at this point:

Probably just a coincidence.

Man In Black
07-13-2013, 12:09 PM
because playing in washington gives you tons of opportunities. i would say we don't know what either singleton or vesely can do in such situations until they leave washington.

IF you follow that logic and you know that Tim Duncan's window is a finite opportunity, it's best that the Spurs go with what's been proven and still has upside against what is unknown and potentially has good upside...n'est-ce pas?

spurraider21
07-13-2013, 12:10 PM
from what i've heard about him, vesely has been a monumental bust and is considered to be one of the worst players in the league. i'm not sure we can make salaries work for Ariza, but thats about the only guy i want from washington

DesignatedT
07-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Also opens up opportunities for Pendergraph. They must be pretty high on him if they dipped into the MLE to get him.

xmas1997
07-13-2013, 12:11 PM
But the report said the Spurs were not really interested so far.

jyra
07-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Ariza has been a surprisingly great shooter from the corner three spot this past season (strange that he took more shots from above the break where he is terrible):

http://www.truthaboutit.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ariza.jpeg

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2013/05/trevor-ariza-in-2012-13-with-the-wizards-highs-lows-and-oh-nos.html

playblair
07-13-2013, 12:12 PM
pass on vesely blair is worth more than a fragile euro player afraid of free throws ......................

Vesely’s struggle with his confidence was well-known amongst coaches and teammates; not just because of his tentative play but also because of what he shared with them. He missed 27 of 39 free throw attempts – and resisted contact inside because he viewed the foul line as a punishment rather than reward for aggressive play.

“I’ve heard it out of his own mouth,” Price explained. “He doesn’t like to go to the free throw line, because everybody’s watching.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2013/05/13/wizards-jan-vesely-seeks-to-regain-confidence-this-summer/

DesignatedT
07-13-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't know much about Ariza off the court of if he's a smart guy or what not but his game seems to fit well with what the Spurs need and like to do.

timvp
07-13-2013, 12:19 PM
One big consideration is roster space. RC was gushing about the fact that the Spurs still have the roster space open in order to match on a Neal offersheet. And that was before Thomas had a nice debut in summer league.

A 2-for-1 or even 3-for-1 makes sense for the Spurs. 1-for-1 doesn't really work unless the Spurs are easily able to dump a player elsewhere to make room for Neal and/or Thomas.

montgod
07-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Ariza has a big contract...how many more years? Might rather wait and look into Al Harrington or C Butler if they are bought out.

exstatic
07-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Also opens up opportunities for Pendergraph. They must be pretty high on him if they dipped into the MLE to get him.

Allegedly, they had Pendergraph on their draft board, and wanted him.

monkeypunk
07-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Ariza has a big contract...how many more years? Might rather wait and look into Al Harrington or C Butler if they are bought out.

Ariza should be an expiring of $7,727,280 for this next season.

spursnatic
07-13-2013, 12:32 PM
I would have to say Seraphin has the best chance ending up on our Roster..Would be easy to add that Contract and stay under cap..Would love an Ariza on our team, just not sure the Contract is small enough?...

Chinook
07-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Allegedly, they had Pendergraph on their draft board, and wanted him.

It seems now that they really loved that draft. I bet they were extremely excited to have three seconds for it, but almost every one of the good players who fell out of the first got picked between 30 and 45.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 12:37 PM
I would have to say Seraphin has the best chance ending up on our Roster..Would be easy to add that Contract and stay under cap..Would love an Ariza on our team, just not sure the Contract is small enough?...

It's actually the opposite: the smaller the contract, the harder it will be for the Spurs to make a trade. If Blair makes more than $1.2 Million next season, it's going to be somewhat difficult to trade him without adding a couple of million in other contracts because he'll be a BYC player.

exstatic
07-13-2013, 12:38 PM

I'd say he has the worst chance of being a Spur because Washington likes him at that cost, and won't move him for Blair.

playblair
07-13-2013, 12:39 PM
if the report is true it shows the spurs highly value blair .......................... blair has been involved in multiple trade talks but spurs wouldn't budge...........

montgod
07-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Ariza should be an expiring of $7,727,280 for this next season.

So...spurs do S&T with Blair plus pay extra? Not sure he is an upgrade vs a Harrington or Butler who should be cheaper especially with his inconsistency and injury history.

spurraider21
07-13-2013, 12:41 PM
if the report is true it shows the spurs highly value blair .......................... blair has been involved in multiple trade talks but spurs wouldn't budge...........

he's a free agent and the spurs have shown no inclination to sign him.

montgod
07-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Doubt it, they don't want to fill cap space for him....remember, he wasn't tendered so he is free as a bird.

SenorSpur
07-13-2013, 12:51 PM
What about Otto Porter? Think the Wizards would be completely against giving him up?

Hell, they just drafted the rook and they were extremely high on the prospect of getting him. I doubt very seriously if the Bullets are willing to part with him. His presence has created the glut of SFs on their roster. I would be willing to bet that the other SF options (Ariza, Singleton or Vessly) could be had.

Ariza would be my first preference, but Singleton would also be a good get. Vessly has been a supreme disappointment thus far and seems to be suffering from extremely low confidence. He's in definite need of a change of scenery and a coaching upgrade.

lmbebo
07-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Otto porter is about easy to get as Beal or Wall at this point. Local product, etc.

PlayNando
07-13-2013, 01:02 PM
pass on vesely blair is worth more than a fragile euro player afraid of free throws ......................

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2013/05/13/wizards-jan-vesely-seeks-to-regain-confidence-this-summer/
Sounds like he would fit right in with our mid-2000s Spurs teams, where Rasho, Tim, Malik Rose, etc. were all God awful at free throws, tbh. :lol

Dverde
07-13-2013, 01:03 PM
I imagine it's between Ariza and Vessly. I wouldn't touch Vessly. I would take Ariza in a heartbeat. Guy played well as a Laker and Rocket. Performed well in the playoffs. I think having him will allow us to keep Leonard's minutes down during the session. Plus his contract is expiring which is better than giving AK47 a 3 or 4 year deal. We will need that money to lock up Leonard long term.

spursince#99
07-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Ariza or bust.

timtonymanu
07-13-2013, 01:08 PM
I've always wanted Ariza and thought he would fit here perfectly.

He would be the best option.

It's best I stay out of this thread until something is official.

yavozerb
07-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Does anyone even know how much roster space the wiz have?

SpursFan86
I've always wanted Ariza and thought he would fit here perfectly.

He would be the best option.

It's best I stay out of this thread until something is official.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm not in the mood to hear all these great-sounding scenarios only to end up watching nothing get done. I'll get excited when I hear something more concrete.

Arc
blair, bonner, and playblair for ariza please.

lmbebo
07-13-2013, 01:20 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--wizards-show-interest-in-dejuan-blair-170127120.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

yavozerb
07-13-2013, 01:23 PM
It also looks like the wiz are trying to keep open as much cap space as possible for next summer cause most of there players contracts expire after this season. Bonner contract would help this as well and Blair would be a cheap experimental contract for them

milkyway21
07-13-2013, 01:23 PM
whoa 4 hours 4 pages ...that fast ? :lol

how about Wall ! Is he untouchable ?
http://64.19.142.14/www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/files/2013/07/wallbacktat713a.jpg
He's a point guard who can really score.. close to 17 pts a game ave. nice alternate for TP + he's young.
Just wonder if he's still asking for max. Then, it's pffft

Bruno
07-13-2013, 01:25 PM
The issue of a trade like Blair and Bonner for Ariza is that it would leave Spurs very thin inside. I'm not sure that Pendergraph and Baynes are enough to complement Splitter, Duncan and Diaw.

Texas_Ranger
07-13-2013, 01:26 PM
The issue of a trade like Blair and Bonner for Ariza is that it would leave Spurs very thin inside. I'm not sure that Pendergraph and Baynes are enough to complement Splitter, Duncan and Diaw.

are there any good bigs that could sign for the vet min?

xmas1997
07-13-2013, 01:27 PM

Very true, but if they then added Oden?

Hoops Czar
07-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Spurstalk dreaming again. Blair isn't worth Ariza and the Wizzards don't want Bonner.

yavozerb
07-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Spurstalk dreaming again. Blair isn't worth Ariza and the Wizzards don't want Bonner.

Shit, Everyone knew that Bennet was not worth the #1 pick and how did that turn out..Its the NBA, nothing is impossible.

jyra
07-13-2013, 01:32 PM

Kenyon Martin is also a possibility.

spursince#99
07-13-2013, 01:33 PM

Oh really? Care to explain the pieces we were giving up for AK47 then? :rolleyes

Bruno
07-13-2013, 01:35 PM
are there any good bigs that could sign for the vet min?

There are still god vet bigmen like Brand, Jamison, K Mart or Maxiell but they should get more than the min. For the min, the best Spurs could get are player like Wilcox but they aren't really upgrades over Pendergraph. There is a Greg Oden gamble as said in the post just after yours. Spurs could also get Vesely in addition of Ariza to compensate Bonner's departure.

Bruno
07-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Oh really? Care to explain the pieces we were giving up for AK47 then? :rolleyes

Unlike Ariza, Kirilenko can play PF.

spursince#99
07-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Unlike Ariza, Kirilenko can play PF.

Ariza should be able to play small ball 4.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 01:40 PM
There are still god vet bigmen like Brand, Jamison, K Mart or Maxiell but they should get more than the min. For the min, the best Spurs could get are player like Wilcox but they aren't really upgrades over Pendergraph. There is a Greg Oden gamble as said in the post just after yours. Spurs could also get Vesely in addition of Ariza to compensate Bonner's departure.

I don't really see the bigs being a need in a Bonner and Blair trade for Ariza. It wouldn't be too different from amnestying Bonner and signing Kirilenko. Ariza is pretty much the same size as Leonard, and his wingspan is only two inches shorter than AK's. One of Pendergraph or Baynes was hopefully going to be the fourth big, anyway. I sure don't see a reason to think Vesely would be better than them. I'd rather bring in another project big and play a lot of small-ball than to get a sixth big just for the heck of it.

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm curious to see what Pittman can do during the the course of the summer league. He's in the best condition of his life right now

Chinook
07-13-2013, 01:43 PM

I agree. Ariza has a good wingspan, and he's a good defender. Most of the time, the Spurs play small to allow Leonard to match up with the opposing four, anyway, so Trevor should be fine being a three in that case. Also, having Ariza would make me much more confident in the Spurs' ability to handle a Leonard injury. It took Green several games to get a hang of playing small-forward. At least Trevor knows how to play the position.

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 01:45 PM

A 5 man big rotation isn't exactly thin. Especially with the way our roster has shaped up, I think we're moving even more into the direction of the small ball philosophy then ever and we should see KL at the 4 a lot.

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 01:46 PM
I agree. Ariza has a good wingspan, and he's a good defender. Most of the time, the Spurs play small to allow Leonard to match up with the opposing four, anyway, so Trevor should be fine being a three in that case. Also, having Ariza would make me much more confident in the Spurs' ability to handle a Leonard injury. It took Green several games to get a hang of playing small-forward. At least Trevor knows how to play the position.

And in that scenario Thomas potentially to complement Leonard if he can sharpen up

spursince#99
07-13-2013, 01:46 PM

And also, Leonard and Ariza would be able to switch everything together as well.

Raven
07-13-2013, 01:47 PM

imho he was a sure fire bust since his experience at Partizan, why would anyone draft a sf that can't knock down fts or shoot anything away from the rim, is beyond me. I agree with the trade opportunity, and the chances to make him better, but i don't agree with your statement about him being promising in Europe.

yavozerb
07-13-2013, 01:48 PM
With teams going alot smaller I think Leonard, Ariza, and even Thomas (if he's kept) could hold down some minutes at the 4 with no problem. Look, if Bonner can play the 4, then these other guys should have no problem holding there own.

Darkwaters

http://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/2/f/collegehumor.bfcb2af216d9fab11a99e61fbc242882.jpg

Raven

Kirilenko is both stronger and taller, has a larger skillset and is simply a far better all around player than Ariza will ever be.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 01:51 PM
And in that scenario Thomas potentially to complement Leonard if he can sharpen up

If the Spurs were to trade for Ariza and sign Thomas to fill Bonner's spot in the rotation, then the team would have a ton of small-ball options. I don't see Thomas factoring into the Spurs' plans in that scenario, though. I think they'd give him a year in Austin to work at becoming Ariza's replacement as Leonard's backup.

xmas1997
07-13-2013, 01:52 PM
If all of this conjecture about Ariza is true and the Spurs or not moved by it then the Wizards must not be offering him.

Mal
07-13-2013, 01:56 PM
You can always send Bonner there, Wizards release him with extended clause, and he is back in SA. Or did new CBA prohibited such moves?

Chinook
07-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Kirilenko is both stronger and taller, has a larger skillset and is simply a far better all around player than Ariza will ever be.

AK is better than TA in general, but as far as how he'd fit on the Spurs, it's sort of overblown. They're pretty much the same height, although Kirilenko is heavier. They rebound about the same per minute, and AK only scores about one more point per 36 than Ariza. Kirilenko is a better shot-blocker, which makes a difference but doesn't matter too much for the Spurs. Ariza is a better shooter, which matters a lot on the Spurs.

FutureMan
07-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Out of curiosity, is there a way to sign and trade Neal and Blair (along with Colo and/or Bonner) to get Nene or Okafor? I think the Spurs need another big guy to help with the Howard and Asik duo.
Parker Joseph
Ginobili Belinelli
Leonard Green
Duncan Diaw
Splitter Okafor

Mal
07-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Out of curiosity, is there a way to sign and trade Neal and Blair (along with Colo and/or Bonner) to get Nene or Okafor? I think the Spurs need another big guy to help with the Howard and Asik duo.
Parker Joseph
Ginobili Belinelli
Leonard Green
Duncan Diaw
Splitter Okafor

Nope there isnt. Wizard arent going to tank next year.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Parker Joseph
Ginobili Belinelli
Leonard Green
Duncan Diaw
Splitter Okafor

Yes, they could make a trade to bring back Okafor if Washington wanted to risk going into the tax. No, that wouldn't be a good idea. And no, the answer to the wing rotation's problems isn't to dramatically reduce Green's minutes to let Ginobili start.

spursince#99
07-13-2013, 02:06 PM

And that has to do with Ariza being capable of playing small ball 4 becauseee? :wakeup

Mal
07-13-2013, 02:06 PM
The deadline to pick Vesely 2014-2015 team option is November 1st 2013. They will have to decide at the end of the training camp.

If Spurs wouldnt pick up TO, they still have rights to Vesely after season as RFA?

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 02:07 PM
If the Spurs were to trade for Ariza and sign Thomas to fill Bonner's spot in the rotation, then the team would have a ton of small-ball options. I don't see Thomas factoring into the Spurs' plans in that scenario, though. I think they'd give him a year in Austin to work at becoming Ariza's replacement as Leonard's backup.

As he still very raw defensively and unlikely to grasp the totallity of the 3 position any time soon this would be a smart scenario to play out.

or we could send him overseas, ala Denmon, and not have to sign him this yr, although in that scenario he wouldn't have the advantage of playing in the spurs/toros system and their be no guarantee he'd be playing the 4.

This is just emphasizing the fact that we need to free up a roster spot attain a 3/4 and keep a talented project in Thomas without rescinding his rights.

SpursSerb
07-13-2013, 02:10 PM
As a Vesely fan since his days in Partizan,i would love him to see him in Spurs jersey.He's biggest problem is he didn't develop his game in Europe enough,basically came unprepared for the Nba basketball.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 02:10 PM
As he still very raw defensively and unlikely to grasp the totallity of the 3 position any time soon this would be a smart scenario to play out.

or we could send him overseas, ala Denmon, and not have to sign him this yr, although in that scenario he wouldn't have the advantage of playing in the spurs/toros system and their be no guarantee he'd be playing the 4.

This is just emphasizing the fact that we need to free up a roster spot attain a 3/4 and keep a talented project in Thomas without rescinding his rights.

Remember, that if he's already agreed to go overseas, the Spurs get to keep his rights.

Darkwaters
07-13-2013, 02:13 PM
If the Wizards are desirous of a S&T that means they're planning on paying Blair more than the minimum. Seriously, in what world is he deserving of that contract?

Well, I just hope we trade him outside of our conference. Playing for Washington we'd only have to see him twice a year, and never in the playoffs. Lord knows our ability to limit playblair's appearances on this forum are critical.

Bruno
07-13-2013, 02:13 PM
If Spurs wouldnt pick up TO, they still have rights to Vesely after season as RFA?

Nope, he would be an UFA with Spurs having limited bird rights on him.

HarlemHeat37
07-13-2013, 02:14 PM
I'd take Booker over Vesely, tbh..

Booker looked very solid and promising his first 2 years in the league as a potential 3rd big, but he's been derailed by injuries, tbh..

Ariza is the obvious choice on their roster, though..as timvp said, he seems to have figured out his realistic niche in the league the last 2 years, he would be a great backup 3, tbh..

The Spurs have re-established a defensive identity, and Ariza would fit in the defensive culture..Leonard/Green is already arguably the most potent perimeter defense duo in the league at the moment, and adding Ariza would make the Spurs swarming and length even more effective, tbh..

Raven
07-13-2013, 02:17 PM
And that has to do with Ariza being capable of playing small ball 4 becauseee? :wakeup

height and weight define if a player can play pf, speed and height define if a player can play sf. Ariza has the speed and height to guard sfs but has not the height and weight to guard pfs.

cd021
07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Ariza..

I remember thinking the last time the Lakers won a Championship, that Ariza was making Robert Horry type plays, getting steals, making plays hitting big 3's.

I felt letting him go was a mistake, not that he was a main cog, but he was a key component... he was like what made them complete at the time.

The Lakers won the following season. He left after the Magic finals. Metta came and they beat Boston the next year. The Lakers still made the semi's the next two years after and the postseason this season. Its not like the franchise went to hell he played well there. The point you're making is that he plays well on winning teams (I assume) that could be the case but Ariza stunk in Houston and N.O. He has been injured in Washington this past season. One would hope he'd be consistent throughout.

Bruno
07-13-2013, 02:19 PM
A 5 man big rotation isn't exactly thin. Especially with the way our roster has shaped up, I think we're moving even more into the direction of the small ball philosophy then ever and we should see KL at the 4 a lot.

Quantity wise, it's fine but the issue is with the quality. As flawed and bad that Bonner/Blair were, I'm not sold on Pendergraph and Baynes being able to be as productive as them.

Mal
07-13-2013, 02:20 PM
height and weight define if a player can play pf, speed and height define if a player can play sf. Ariza has the speed and height to guard sfs but has not the height and weight to guard pfs.

But smallball require from u using two long SFs and C. If someone play with PF, u go with Diaw or Splitter next to Duncan.

mudyez
07-13-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm not a San Antonio habitant, but how could one decline the possibility of Vesely's girlfriend living next door?

I'd really like to see Blair + Neal (S&T) for Vesley + Seraphin but I think if annything happens it's Blair for Singleton (+ maybe a 2nd rounder).

Bruno
07-13-2013, 02:23 PM
imho he was a sure fire bust since his experience at Partizan, why would anyone draft a sf that can't knock down fts or shoot anything away from the rim, is beyond me. I agree with the trade opportunity, and the chances to make him better, but i don't agree with your statement about him being promising in Europe.

Whatever he did with Partizan was good enough to have him being picked 6th in the draft. Vesely wasn't a that bad shooter in Europe but Wizards quite broke him by making him change 3 times his shooting mechanic. There is also no way I would play Vesely at the SF spot, he should play only PF.

cd021
07-13-2013, 02:24 PM
I'd take Booker over Vesely, tbh..

Booker looked very solid and promising his first 2 years in the league as a potential 3rd big, but he's been derailed by injuries, tbh..

Ariza is the obvious choice on their roster, though..as timvp said, he seems to have figured out his realistic niche in the league the last 2 years, he would be a great backup 3, tbh..

The Spurs have re-established a defensive identity, and Ariza would fit in the defensive culture..Leonard/Green is already arguably the most potent perimeter defense duo in the league at the moment, and adding Ariza would make the Spurs swarming and length even more effective, tbh..

Vessely is the better of the two . He passes the eye test. I have the misfortune of watching a lot of Wizard basketball (I live in VA.) He'd be a very good bench option for us.

Ariza hasn't been great defensively for awhile now. That being said asking him to come off the bench as a "3 & defense" for 10-15 minutes could certainly make him more effective.

Floyd Pacquiao
07-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Ariza on the Spurs would be pretty damn sick. Ariza, duncan, kawhi and green would be a killer small ball lineup; getting my dick hard just thinking about. DO IT RC!!!

Chinook
07-13-2013, 02:26 PM

He's plenty tall to guard power-forwards, and he probably has as long of a wing-span as they do, anyway. Regardless, small-ball fours only really need to be able to guard other small-ball fours. So he wouldn't have to worry about matching up with bruising fours like Randolph and David West, anyway. The Spurs have Splitter and Diaw for that.

Kingsly Alexander
Remember, that if he's already agreed to go overseas, the Spurs get to keep his rights.

Which is great, but his development and potential position would potentially be out of our hands

Raven
AK is better than TA in general, but as far as how he'd fit on the Spurs, it's sort of overblown. They're pretty much the same height, although Kirilenko is heavier. They rebound about the same per minute, and AK only scores about one more point per 36 than Ariza. Kirilenko is a better shot-blocker, which makes a difference but doesn't matter too much for the Spurs. Ariza is a better shooter, which matters a lot on the Spurs.

Ariza is not the better shooter, not even close.. Kirilenko shot > .500 last year, i don't care about the 3 percentage, they wouldn't shoot it anyway with the spurs.

Raven
07-13-2013, 02:27 PM
He's plenty tall to guard power-forwards, and he probably has as long of a wing-span as they do, anyway. Regardless, small-ball fours only really need to be able to guard other small-ball fours. So he wouldn't have to worry about matching up with bruising fours like Randolph and David West, anyway. The Spurs have Splitter and Diaw for that.

where is the advantage then?

cd021
07-13-2013, 02:29 PM
But smallball require from u using two long SFs and C. If someone play with PF, u go with Diaw or Splitter next to Duncan.

Thats not really true. When the Spurs had Jackson they usually didn't play him and Kawhi together. the played Jax with Parker, Green/Neal, & Duncan.

I'd love see Spurs try more of the Parker, Green, Leonard, Diaw & Duncan lineup when teams go small. Its long and can cause mismatches with Diaw being checked by a SF.

Raven
07-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Vessely is the better of the two . He passes the eye test. I have the misfortune of watching a lot of Wizard basketball (I live in VA.) He'd be a very good bench option for us.

Ariza hasn't been great defensively for awhile now. That being said asking him to come off the bench as a "3 & defense" for 10-15 minutes could certainly make him more effective.

the wiz had like a top 5 D last year from some point on..

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 02:32 PM

I don't think that's necessarily true. If we have a combination of length, speed, lateral quickness and vertical ability we could swarm and cover pretty effectively in our defensive scheme

BatManu20
07-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Seraphin would be lovely tbh. And we all know how much the Spurs love Frenchies. Vessely is a huge bust and they're not giving up Ariza imo.

xhKqLZX0GKo

Raven
07-13-2013, 02:34 PM
I don't think that's necessarily true. If we have a combination of length, speed, lateral quickness and vertical ability we could swarm and cover pretty effectively in our defensive scheme

i'm talking about strict man to man marking, what the system does is irrelevant when making a debate about x being better than y at being a smallball 4. And don't get me wrong, i like Ariza a lot, i don't think we have any chance to grab him though.

Chinook
Ariza is not the better shooter, not even close.. Kirilenko shot > .500 last year, i don't care about the 3 percentage, they wouldn't shoot it anyway with the spurs.

Three-point percentage is literally the only thing that matters in this equation. No one should care if your small-forward is great at shooting from inside 10 feet. There's no question that Ariza's shooting skills would be more valuable on this team that Kirilenko's.

where is the advantage then?

The Spurs' lineup advantage is that they can play both big and small. They're at their best playing big, but if a team goes small, they have the horses to match up. That shouldn't their default line-up, though, unless they really want to play Leonard at the four more often. If that's the case, the team would really only need someone who can be a competent three so they could leave Green at the two. Enter Ariza. Make no mistake, the Spurs already have their preferred small-ball four on the roster.

Spur|n|Austin
Ariza..

Yes, but what did he do for the Rockets, or since then?

Johnny RIngo
07-13-2013, 02:35 PM

Not a fan of Vesely but just getting rid of DeColo and Blair would make me happy. Ariza would be a solid backup SF too. He's no AK but it seems like no one had a realistic shot at acquiring him once Prokhorov talked to him.

Kingsly Alexander
07-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Quantity wise, it's fine but the issue is with the quality. As flawed and bad that Bonner/Blair were, I'm not sold on Pendergraph and Baynes being able to be as productive as them.

I think their grit could potentially offset anything that we would loose in Bonner. Blair really didn't do anything, IMO. But if this were the case we could always bring in some bigs into training camp and preseason and sort it out then

baseline bum
07-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Ariza, Vesely, Booker, Séraphin and Singleton sound like potential candidates in a S&T.

Ariza would be the one able to help Spurs immediately. Vesely and Singleton could be decent reclamation projects.

:vomit:

SpursSerb
07-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Whatever he did with Partizan was good enough to have him being picked 6th in the draft. Vesely wasn't a that bad shooter in Europe but Wizards quite broke him by making him change 3 times his shooting mechanic. There is also no way I would play Vesely at the SF spot, he should play only PF.

He's really athletic,that's what got him so high in draft.He's shooting improved in Partizan,but he didn't develop his game to play pf in Nba.I watched maybe his every game in Partizan,and i don't think he ever played as a pf.

Raven
07-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Three-point percentage is literally the only thing that matters in this equation. No one should care if your small-forward is great at shooting from inside 10 feet. There's no question that Ariza's shooting skills would be more valuable on this team that Kirilenko's.

The Spurs' lineup advantage is that they can play both big and small. They're at their best playing big, but if a team goes small, they have the horses to match up. That shouldn't their default line-up, though, unless they really want to play Leonard at the four more often. If that's the case, the team would really only need someone who can be a competent three so they could leave Green at the two. Enter Ariza. Make no mistake, the Spurs already have their preferred small-ball four on the roster.

Ariza would be offensively at a disadvantage againt pretty much every stretch 4, so if he can barely defend them, i don't see the upside in the move. Kirilenko on the other hand, could shut down every stretch 4 and rape them around the rim too.

07-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Ariza would be the ideal pick up. I'll just be happy with any value the Spurs get back from Blair.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Ariza would be offensively at a disadvantage againt pretty much every stretch 4, so if he can barely defend them, i don't see the upside in the move. Kirilenko on the other hand, could shut down every stretch 4 and rape them around the rim too.

I think you're massively overrating Kirilenko's recent defense. He didn't shut down anyone last season, let alone small-ball fours like Durant and James. Ariza plays competent defense against those guys, and he stretches the floor better, which is the most important thing when he's on the floor with Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, Green and Leonard.

Also, there really aren't many stretch-fours in the league, and most of them are not really in a position to "rape" anybody who doesn't constantly leave them open. I mean, are you seriously suggesting Bargnani and Antwan Jamison are going to be destroying Ariza?

Raven
07-13-2013, 02:51 PM
I think you're massively overrating Kirilenko's recent defense. He didn't shut down anyone last season, let alone small-ball fours like Durant and James. Ariza plays competent defense against those guys, and he stretches the floor better, which is the most important thing when he's on the floor with Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, Green and Leonard.

Also, there really aren't many stretch-fours in the league, and most of them are not really in a position to "rape" anybody who doesn't constantly leave them open. I mean, are you seriously suggesting Bargnani and Antwan Jamison are going to be destroying Ariza?

i don't think ariza stretches the floor in any way, he's being challenged to shoot tbh, which is not the case with ak. also the discussion is pointless, ak isn't coming and most likely ariza is not either.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 02:54 PM
also the discussion is pointless, ak isn't coming and most likely ariza is not either.

Agreed. It's not like the team was picking between them. I just don't see getting another big becoming a priority if the Spurs get rid of Bonner.

coachmac87
07-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Are people ignoring the fact the tweet said we didn't have interest?? Or has there been an update that I missed? Lol

xmas1997
07-13-2013, 02:58 PM
i don't think ariza stretches the floor in any way, he's being challenged to shoot tbh, which is not the case with ak. also the discussion is pointless, ak isn't coming and most likely ariza is not either.

Thus probably why the Spurs were unmoved by what they were offering for Blair.

Bruno
07-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Are people ignoring the fact the tweet said we didn't have interest?? Or has there been an update that I missed? Lol

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--wizards-show-interest-in-dejuan-blair-170127120.html

The Spurs have shown a willingness to assist Blair in finding a team without the salary-cap space to sign him, but it's unclear if any Wizards assets appeal to San Antonio.

Woj isn't saying that Spurs aren't interested in what Wizards could offer for Blair. He says he doesn't know.

Libri
07-13-2013, 03:14 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--wizards-show-interest-in-dejuan-blair-170127120.html

Woj isn't saying that Spurs aren't interested in what Wizards could offer for Blair. He says he doesn't know.

So you think that in this case the ball is in the Spurs court? In other words, that it is up to the Spurs to make this deal happen or not. We usually here of SA having interest in other players but rarely of a team interested in what the Spurs have.

Strategic
07-13-2013, 03:20 PM
I would hate to see the Spurs give up De Colo and Mills.

Strategic
07-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Would rather add Baynes and then go big time for Oden to replace him.Giving up Blair, Bonner and Baynes? That's giving up all the front court depth.

raybies
07-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Wizards playing on Summer league right Now....

Bruno
07-13-2013, 03:30 PM
So you think that in this case the ball is in the Spurs court? In other words, that it is up to the Spurs to make this deal happen or not. We usually here of SA having interest in other players but rarely of a team interested in what the Spurs have.

I wouldn't say the ball in a team's court. Spurs and Wizards just need to find a deal that please both teams. Wizards might be willing to give up certain players to get Blair while Spurs might be interested only in getting certain players. The question is if there is a player in common on both lists.

Now, what is clear is that Wizards are interested in Blair and are the team that made the first step to do a S&T.

Strategic
07-13-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm curious to see what Pittman can do during the the course of the summer league. He's in the best condition of his life right nowHe might be a reindeer but he still cannot make a free throw or a layup.

Strategic
07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Quantity wise, it's fine but the issue is with the quality. As flawed and bad that Bonner/Blair were, I'm not sold on Pendergraph and Baynes being able to be as productive as them.Yeah, regular season production is often overlooked. Bonner has the ability to hit two or three treys in a short period. I've often thought that he is a better 3 than a 4 on offense, but he doesn't get used as a small forward.

playblair
07-13-2013, 03:43 PM
vesely @ pf :lol........................ vesely admitted to being afraid of contact ..................................

Strategic
07-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Looks like a positive vote on Ariza, Now who has that blank check?

mudyez
07-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Spurs and Wizards just need to find a deal that please both teams. Wizards might be willing to give up certain players to get Blair while Spurs might be interested only in getting certain players. The question is if there is a player in common on both lists.

http://www.hollywoodtoysandcostumes.com/cached/15UA83003.jpg

slick'81
07-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Ariza or seraphin would b ok

timvp
07-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Meh, after more research, I just can't find anything about Vesely that's worth the hassle. He wasn't that good in Europe (PER around 15 in Euroleague). He's relatively fast and athletic and that alone can help in Europe. But compared to players in the NBA, he's nothing special in either regard. Add in no jumper to speak of, no rebounding ability and a pretty damn large contract and I'd pass. I don't see how he's worth a roster spot.

Singleton is basically in the same boat. His most famous moment in the league was when he bought $10,000 worth of lottery tickets because "he would blow it at the strip club anyways" or whatever he said. A small forward with no perimeter game on offense doesn't fit on the Spurs. That's especially true coming off the bench because Ginobili and company rely on spacing.

I'd take Seraphin even though he makes less sense with the acquisition of Pendergraph.

Blair in a trade for Ariza is the current dream.

A grounded Ariza who is willing to play a role may very well be better than Kirilenko. Better shooter, younger and actually has a history of showing up in the playoffs....

cd021
07-13-2013, 04:00 PM
the wiz had like a top 5 D last year from some point on..

How does that affect my comment?

TD 21
07-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Ariza's not Kirilenko obviously, but they possess enough of the same attributes that, when combined with Ariza's expiring contract, you'd think they'd be interested in him, too. Sure, the shooting would diminish by going from Bonner to Ariza (though Ariza shot surprisingly well from the corners last season and he'd only get better looks on the Spurs), but the increased lineup flexibility would make it more than worth it. Besides, between Diaw, Leonard, Ariza and Pendergraph, there should be enough shooting at PF. If, for some reason, they weren't comfortable enough with that though, they could always sign a minimal type such as Radmanovic.

And let's face it: They've been trying to, as timvp put it, ween themselves off of Bonner for a year now. As Bruno pointed out, it may have seemed like he played a lot in the playoffs, but much of that came early, when Diaw and Splitter were out. Plus, he can't play against the two biggest obstacles between them and a championship, whereas Ariza would come in handy against both.

Raven
07-13-2013, 04:03 PM
How does that affect my comment?

well it was with ariza on the floor.

Bruno
07-13-2013, 04:12 PM
If Spurs do a Bonner+Blair for Ariza with Washington, a way to add another big would be to do another S&T with Neal to Milwaukee, that is rumored to be after him. Bucks have a lot of bigmen and Udoh or Ayon should be available.

playblair
07-13-2013, 04:13 PM
:wakeup

Floyd Pacquiao
07-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Ariza is just really perfect for this team. The guy can shoot spot up 3s, cut to the basket and defend. Not to mention he has clutch ability and championship expirence. cmon R.C save the offseason.

K-State Spur
07-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Ariza's not Kirilenko obviously, but they possess enough of the same attributes that, when combined with Ariza's expiring contract, you'd think they'd be interested in him, too. Sure, the shooting would diminish by going from Bonner to Ariza (though Ariza shot surprisingly well from the corners last season and he'd only get better looks on the Spurs), but the increased lineup flexibility would make it more than worth it. Besides, between Diaw, Leonard, Ariza and Pendergraph, there should be enough shooting at PF. If, for some reason, they weren't comfortable enough with that though, they could always sign a minimal type such as Radmanovic.

I actually think Ariza's a little better defensively than AK at this stage. Kirilenko's D, while still quality, is a bit overrated as the shot block (which was a pretty special skill for perimeter defender who wasn't constantly abandoning his own man for the weakside block - i.e. DWade) has dwindled from his game with age. Ariza's got some quick feet and his height & kawhi-esque wingspan almost sneak up on opponents.

Ariza's also a better shooter, even in average season (not necessarily a strong shooting year like last year). AK OTOH, is better around the rim, much better passer, and plays with a higher bball IQ in general.

With commitments to Webster/Porter & Ariza's salary, it would seem to make him pretty expendable. The question is, do they like Blair enough that they think a S&T for him is the best they can do if the want to move TA?

Chinook
07-13-2013, 04:18 PM
The only way I'd be interested in bringing in another big is if Baynes gets moved. It makes little sense to me to pick up a sixth big so early, especially a center. Personally, I think Pendergraph was their cheap free-agent big for the year. They could have chosen an established vet to give that money to, but they liked Jeff's potential. And we can't say that was because they intended to keep Bonner, since he was almost certainly part of any Kirilekno talks.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Anyone else watching the Wizards' summer-league game right now to scout?

raybies
07-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Yeah. Not impressed with Jan or Chris.

TD 21
07-13-2013, 04:30 PM
If Spurs do a Bonner+Blair for Ariza with Washington, a way to add another big would be to do another S&T with Neal to Milwaukee, that is rumored to be after him. Bucks have a lot of bigmen and Udoh or Ayon should be available.

Yeah, but none of the stretch variety (other than Ilyasova obviously, who wouldn't be available in a Neal S&T). Udoh and Ayon are relatively similar to Pendergraph. Besides, they wouldn't play if Duncan, Splitter and Diaw, are healthy, because the fourth big spot would be a combination of Leonard/Ariza for small ball and Pendergraph, in conventional lineups. It would be challenging enough to get Ariza enough minutes so that he wouldn't become a malcontent. Adding in one of Udoh or especially Ayon (who's already griped about lack of playing time), would further exacerbate the issue.

K-State Spur, I don't disagree. When I said "Ariza's not Kirilenko obviously", I meant more so in terms of not being a combo forward than anything. Kirilenko's still a better overall player, but for this specific role, Ariza may well be the better fit.

Raven
07-13-2013, 04:30 PM

yeah, vesely still making low bbiq penetrations, leading to offensive fouls.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 04:32 PM
yeah, vesely still making low bbiq penetrations, leading to offensive fouls.

Monkey-baller if I've ever seen one.

rmt
07-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Ariza is just really perfect for this team. The guy can shoot spot up 3s, cut to the basket and defend. Not to mention he has clutch ability and championship expirence. cmon R.C save the offseason.

And he only just turned 28.

Raven
07-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Monkey-baller if I've every seen one.

can't find a better description for the player than that tbh.

Mal
07-13-2013, 04:36 PM

I`d like that.

Floyd Pacquiao
07-13-2013, 04:38 PM
And he only just turned 28.

prayingdog.jpg

TheyCallMePro
07-13-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm being 100% serious when I say this:

The ONLY Wizards player I would take for Blair is Otto Porter. How long will it take you guys to realize John Wall is a complete bust? I called it on draft night. And who else do they have? Nene? Please. Yeah, he was good...in like 2009. What's he done in this decade? Ariza is a role player. Without Kobe he's worthless.

Frankly I don't even like Blair. I hate how he bitches about playing time on Twiiter and complains non-stop. Fuck him. But the Wizards are literally the worst team to do a sign and trade with him. Some of you are underestimating just how bad the Wizards are. Seriously.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Singleton looks like he could become a legitimate combo-forward in a good system. He's a pretty hefty guy, but he has a jump shot and some handles. It think he could make it as a pick-and-pop player. He hustles, too. I'd be fine trading Blair for him if it wasn't so hard to get the salaries to match.

Vesely better learn to guard centers, because he doesn't seem to have a chance as a forward. The good news for him is that he's tall enough to make the switch, and he at least tries to be a big when he's on the floor. But I'd take Ryan Richards over him right now, and that's not a compliment for Richards at all.

SpursFan86
07-13-2013, 04:55 PM

The ONLY Wizards player I would take for Blair is Otto Porter. How long will it take you guys to realize John Wall is a complete bust? I called it on draft night. And who else do they have? Nene? Please. Yeah, he was good...in like 2009. What's he done in this decade? Ariza is a role player. Without Kobe he's worthless.

Frankly I don't even like Blair. I hate how he bitches about playing time on Twiiter and complains non-stop. Fuck him. But the Wizards are literally the worst team to do a sign and trade with him. Some of you are underestimating just how bad the Wizards are. Seriously.

No, you're just underestimating what a guy like Ariza could do for us. We need a true backup SF, and Ariza would be about as ideal as it realistically gets for that role. Good size, long Kawhi-esque wingspan, good spot-up shooter (especially from the corner), and a great defender. You say Ariza is a role player as if it's a negative...what the fuck do you consider Blair/Bonner? Superstars? We don't need any huge pieces...we just made the Finals. A role player like Ariza could be a big plus for an already great team. No one is claiming that he's going to come in and take over Parker's role as the primary scorer or some shit like that. But I think the vast majority of people here would agree that Blair/Bonner for Ariza would be a damn good deal. Only downside of it is that it could possibly make us a bit thin on bigs...but as Bruno pointed out, a S&T with Neal could still happen. And Duncan/Splitter/Diaw/Pendergraph/Baynes isn't the end of the world as front courts go anyways.

Bruno
07-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Yeah, but none of the stretch variety (other than Ilyasova obviously, who wouldn't be available in a Neal S&T). Udoh and Ayon are relatively similar to Pendergraph. Besides, they wouldn't play if Duncan, Splitter and Diaw, are healthy, because the fourth big spot would be a combination of Leonard/Ariza for small ball and Pendergraph, in conventional lineups. It would be challenging enough to get Ariza enough minutes so that he wouldn't become a malcontent. Adding in one of Udoh or especially Ayon (who's already griped about lack of playing time), would further exacerbate the issue.

There will have injuries and games were Duncan will be rested.

If you look at last year, Bonner+Blair played a combined 1760 minutes while Pendergraph played 369 minutes for Indiana. Even if some of the Bonner+Blair minutes will be eaten by some small ball if you add Ariza, that's still a lot of minutes for Pendergraph (and Baynes). I'm not sold he will be up to the task and if Bonner is gone, I want Spurs to bring another relatively good bigman like Udoh (that I like more than Ayon) and let him fight with Pendergraph for that 4th big spot.

tuncaboylu
07-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Like some guys offered, Bonner+Blair for Ariza would be excellent.

Wizards would accept it immediately since Bonner and Ariza are expiring and that trade means basically signing a contract Blair. They wouldn't miss Ariza since they're in tanking mode.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 05:03 PM

If you look at last year, Bonner+Blair played a combined 1760 minutes while Pendergraph played 369 minutes for Indiana. Even if some of the Bonner+Blair minutes will be eaten by some small ball if you add Ariza, that's still a lot of minutes for Pendergraph (and Baynes). I'm not sold he will be up to the task and if Bonner is gone, I want Spurs to bring another relatively good bigman like Udoh (that I like more than Ayon) and let him fight with Pendergraph for that 4th big spot.

Udoh makes too much money to be a realistic trade target for a Neal S&T. I doubt Gary's going to earn the $6 Million next year needed to make the salaries match.

Agloco
07-13-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to a Blair + Bonner for Ariza move. At worst he's a one year rental and gives us some value in exchange for Blair who will walk away either way.

Bruno
07-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Udoh makes too much money to be a realistic trade target for a Neal S&T. I doubt Gary's going to earn the $6 Million next year needed to make the salaries match.

Well, you can trade De Colo with him.

Hoops Czar
07-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Shit, Everyone knew that Bennet was not worth the #1 pick and how did that turn out..Its the NBA, nothing is impossible.

You're overshooting the mark. The Wizards aren't giving up a quality backup, who could probably start for a handful of teams for a third string big with no ACL's. This isn't a Kwame Brown/Pau Gasol situation. Ariza is the ultiate pipe dream at best. And if the Spurs want to continue to stockpile overseas junk and low ceiling, one dimensional players like Bonner, don't expect the rest of the NBA to be interested in trading for them. The Spurs have few, if any tradeable assets that will actually bring back value in return. You're probably looking at a future second round draft pick or an exendible player like Vesely or Booker.

Vic Petro
07-13-2013, 05:11 PM

Spurs need a role player.

TD 21
07-13-2013, 05:15 PM

I understand. But aren't you the same guy who doesn't want Neal back because stacking players for these types of scenarios supposedly isn't a good way to do business?

I'd like to have someone such as Udoh for insurance purposes too. But realistically, if they made this trade, they'd probably just sign Radmanovic or some other minimal stretch four, who'd just be happy to be in the league and wouldn't gripe about not being in the rotation.

It's not ideal, but teams take risks like this every year and the Spurs are a prime example. They've had essentially one true SF (McGrady was a last resort) since near the end of the regular season and no proven, true backup PG since Ford abruptly retired.

TE
07-13-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to a Blair + Bonner for Ariza move. At worst he's a one year rental and gives us some value in exchange for Blair who will walk away either way.
People always find reasons to bitch, imo.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 05:17 PM
You're overshooting the mark. The Wizards aren't giving up a quality backup, who could probably start for a handful of teams for a third string big with no ACL's. This isn't a Kwame Brown/Pau Gasol situation. Ariza is the ultiate pipe dream at best. And if the Spurs want to continue to stockpile overseas junk and low ceiling, one dimensional players like Bonner, don't expect the rest of the NBA to be interested in trading for them. The Spurs have few, if any tradeable assets that will actually bring back value in return. You're probably looking at a future second round draft pick or an exendible player like Vesely or Booker.

I'm pretty sure the Wizards wanted Ariza to deny his option so they wouldn't have to pay him. They probably don't view him as an asset, and they almost certainly do not view him as untouchable. If the Wizards want Blair, they have to give up something for him. The Spurs do not have to take their trash just to facilitate a deal. They may well think that Ariza has a higher value than Blair, but they are not in a position to strong-arm the Spurs into taking a second (mainly because they can't afford to not send a salary back).

timtonymanu
07-13-2013, 05:18 PM

That's basically a steal trade. I disagree a bit with Bruno. While Bonner + Blair know the Spurs system well, I like the idea of Baynes + Pendergraph better. I think they are more talented overall than Bonner + Blair.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Spurs could land Ariza for a Blair headed out of town and Bonner and Spurs fan would still bitch.

Some of you are happy the Spurs lost game 7. You know who you are.

slick'81
07-13-2013, 05:24 PM
I would love ariza but u don't c the wizards doing it for Blair

KL2
07-13-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm having a hard time seeing Bonner traded, he played very well defensively against LA (mainly against Houston's new C, Howard) and Memphis' bigs, knocked down some shots too. This was probably his best playoff performance ever, and I think it may have saved his ass from FINALLY being traded.

xmas1997
07-13-2013, 05:27 PM
I would love ariza but u don't c the wizards doing it for Blair

No, not for just Blair, salaries don't match. It have to be for Bonner and Blair.

slick'81
07-13-2013, 05:30 PM
No, not for just Blair, salaries don't match. It have to be for Bonner and Blair.

In that case we can pray,would love to unload bonner

rmt
07-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Would Spurs be able to re-sign Ariza next year (for less) if they get him?

CGD
07-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Would Blair + mills+ Nando work salary wise if Blair earns 4m? Spurs resign Neal. I just don't see pop moving bonner as long as he needs a floor spacer with Howard and the Grizz boys in the division

Bruno
07-13-2013, 05:39 PM
I understand. But aren't you the same guy who doesn't want Neal back because stacking players for these types of scenarios supposedly isn't a good way to do business?

Spurs are deeper at the guard spots than in the paint.

SenorSpur
07-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Blair in a trade for Ariza is the current dream.

A grounded Ariza who is willing to play a role may very well be better than Kirilenko. Better shooter, younger and actually has a history of showing up in the playoffs....

:tu

Hoops Czar
07-13-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the Wizards wanted Ariza to deny his option so they wouldn't have to pay him. They probably don't view him as an asset, and they almost certainly do not view him as untouchable. If the Wizards want Blair, they have to give up something for him. The Spurs do not have to take their trash just to facilitate a deal. They may well think that Ariza has a higher value than Blair, but they are not in a position to strong-arm the Spurs into taking a second (mainly because they can't afford to not send a salary back).

That's a two way street. I never said Ariza was untouchable, but his value and ceiling is higher than Blairs. There are other teams in this league that could easily top that deal if Ariza was truly on the block. You can talk about how the Spurs don't have to take their crap, but neither do the Wizards. They could easily hold out until the trade deadline to wheel and deal instead of just settling. Anyways, the Spurs can't make a Blair/ Ariza swap without including other players. De Colo has zero value, Baynes hasn't proven himself, and the aforementioned Bonner's sole value is his expiring contract. I'm not sure it would make much sense to trade an expiring for an expiring over a measly 3 million dollars from a Washington standpoint. Blair isn't resignig here and yes, the Spurs don't neccessarily have to help the Wizards out, but watching how this organization operates, they most likely will.

mosdef17
07-13-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm not too high on Ariza. I wonder if Orlando are still looking to trade Afflalo? I know he plays SG but he could probably hold his own at SF. He doesn't play small, if anything he plays bigger than what he is. I wonder if Orlando would accept;

Spurs Receive
Aaron Afflalo

Wizards Receive
DeJuan Blair
Matt Bonner

Orlando Receives
Trevor Ariza (expiring contract, Afflalo has three more seasons owed. Magic save about $15m).
First round pick (from Spurs)

Only bad thing is Afflalo has a player option for a third year. If he picks that up it could eat into our cap space leading into 15/16 season. I guess even if he does pickup that player option it should be easy to salary dump a $7.75m expiring Afflalo...

xmas1997
07-13-2013, 05:54 PM
One huge thing to consider in all of this, how is Blair ever going to pass his physical???

TD 21
07-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Spurs are deeper at the guard spots than in the paint.

Technically, yes. But realistically, in both cases we're talking about rotation caliber players filling non rotation spots. So it's about the principal. You're either for that or you're not.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm not too high on Ariza. I wonder if Orlando are still looking to trade Afflalo? I know he plays SG but he could probably hold his own at SF. He doesn't play small, if anything he plays bigger than what he is. I wonder if Orlando would accept;

Spurs Receive
Aaron Afflalo

Wizards Receive
DeJuan Blair
Matt Bonner

Orlando Receives
Trevor Ariza (expiring contract, Afflalo has three more seasons owed. Magic save about $15m).

Only bad thing is Afflalo has a player option for a third year. If he picks that up it could eat into our cap space leading into 15/16 season. I guess even if he does pickup that player option it should be easy to salary dump a $7.75m expiring Afflalo...

Also add to that that Afflalo's not very good.

mosdef17
07-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Also add to that that Afflalo's not very good.

Disagree.

Mal
07-13-2013, 06:13 PM

Spurs Receive
Aaron Afflalo

Wizards Receive
DeJuan Blair
Matt Bonner

Orlando Receives

Try Gortat and Phoenix. They could take DeColo, Ariza and pick

Chinook
07-13-2013, 06:15 PM
That's a two way street. I never said Ariza was untouchable, but his value and ceiling is higher than Blairs. There are other teams in this league that could easily top that deal if Ariza was truly on the block.

Ariza's been on the block for years now. That's why he's been trade twice already. Both times were pretty much just as salary filler. He's not that good. In fact, if his deal weren't expiring, I don't think very many people on this board would want him.

You can talk about how the Spurs don't have to take their crap, but neither do the Wizards. They could easily hold out until the trade deadline to wheel and deal instead of just settling.

Blair isn't the Spurs "crap"; he's the player the Wizards want. Meanwhile, there isn't a player in Washington the Spurs want, so Ariza may be the only option. While they certainly may deal him at the deadline, I imagine his expiring deal is more valuable for them to keep. Maybe someone throws an expiring and a pick for him, but even that's debatable.

Anyways, the Spurs can't make a Blair/ Ariza swap without including other players. De Colo has zero value, Baynes hasn't proven himself, and the aforementioned Bonner's sole value is his expiring contract. I'm not sure it would make much sense to trade an expiring for an expiring over a measly 3 million dollars from a Washington standpoint.

Ariza's main value is his expiring contract as well. So if the Wizards and parlay that into a player they want and another medium-sized expiring, they're not exactly getting hosed. In general, Ariza just doesn't have a ton of value. I don't know what makes you think he does.

Blair isn't resignig here and yes, the Spurs don't neccessarily have to help the Wizards out, but watching how this organization operates, they most likely will.

Actually, the organization will rarely does other teams favors. They often complain about certain acquisitions (the Gasol trade was a big example of this). They probably aren't looking to help out Washington so much as they would help Blair go where he wants to go. However, that doesn't mean the team will take a bad deal from Washington. They could very easily insist that the Wizards find a third team to use to create a trade exception so that they don't have to take back any salary. They're not going to take back someone they don't want, because they are probably just fine letting Blair walk for nothing.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Disagree.

Too bad. He's not. And he's a two-guard. At his absolute peak, he's not much better than Green was last season. Definitely not worth his deal to the Spurs.

spursince#99
07-13-2013, 06:20 PM

We're talking small ball 4 here. Not the natural 4.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2013, 06:20 PM
I see a pattern of Chinook overrating Spurs players and underratng other players. Now Ariza isn't that good? Com'on dude. Ariza would be an amazing fit for the backup swingman position on this team.

Chinook
07-13-2013, 06:22 PM
I see a pattern of Chinook overrating Spurs players and underratng other players. Now Ariza isn't that good? Com'on dude. Ariza would be an amazing fit for the backup swingman position on this team.

Dunno why you're generalizing based off this thread of all things. I said he'd be a good addition and defended him for half the thread against people saying he wouldn't. I'm saying that the Wizards don't want him and he's attainable. He's not good enough to have a high stock.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I read this

He's not that good.

but if you said he'd be a good addition then nevermind :tu

Chinook
07-13-2013, 06:24 PM
I should have put "that" in all caps. He's a good fit for this team, but he does not have high stock. I mean, hell, he's been traded twice on this contract already.

Raven
07-13-2013, 06:31 PM
We're talking small ball 4 here. Not the natural 4.

imho a smallball 4 has to be able to defend every 4 aside from the gasols of the game. You can't be forced not to play him just because your opponent is playing amir johnson, can you?