07-18-2005, 07:16 PM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3271334

Damn, Htown just got a little tougher.

wildbill2u
07-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Swift agrees to terms with Rockets
By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Forward Stromile Swift, the only player the Rockets have targeted in free agency, agreed to terms with the Rockets on Monday evening, Swift's agent, Andy Miller, said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Swift spent almost two weeks since visiting the Rockets considering his options, including a strong push by the New Jersey Nets, but Miller said Swift, 6-10, decided the chance to play with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming inspired him to take the Rockets' offer.

The Rockets, who are over the salary cap, could offer only the midlevel exception, expected to be worth between $28 million and $32 million over five years. He likely could have received greater offers, particularly in a sign-and-trade deal, but decided to end his free agency.

Swift, 25, has averaged nine points and five rebounds in five NBA seasons.

"He has decided to become a Houston Rocket," Miller said. "He's absolutely excited about playing with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. The Houston organization has been very consistent and adamant about getting him."

Nice pickup for the Rockets.

King
07-18-2005, 07:17 PM
This should step up NJs pursuit of SAR.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Look in the other thread, it looks like SAR to NJ is nearly done.

timvp
07-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Good move.

That's a bargain.

Nikos
07-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Stromile can help them on both ends. Mostly on defense for now, but he might be able to raise his offensive efficiency by playing with Tmac and Yao.

If the Rockets get a quality PG like Antonio Daniels, they could be championship calibur.

King
07-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Mike James can be just as good as Daniels.

Twisted_Dawg
07-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Too bad they have such a slow, clumsy, no ball center.

CHAMPS AGAIN
07-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Stromile can help them on both ends. Mostly on defense for now, but he might be able to raise his offensive efficiency by playing with Tmac and Yao.

If the Rockets get a quality PG like Antonio Daniels, they could be championship calibur.

now that's funny :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mr. Body
07-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Swift will get some coaches that know something about post players. Good for him.

Money316
07-18-2005, 08:20 PM

Tmac ... "I don't need no stinking poing guard"

BronxCowboy
07-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Damn, I really think this will make the Rockets a lot tougher.

Mr. Body
07-18-2005, 08:21 PM

I don't think so - not yet. They haven't won a first round series yet, remember. They still need a bench and to replace more of their aging players.

Plus, how are they supposed to get AD with the MLE already going to Swift?

Brutalis
07-18-2005, 08:32 PM
I wish we would have dealt Rasho for him.

*shit, or could have in reality.

midgetonadonkey
07-18-2005, 08:58 PM
This will make them better but not by much. It's a nice pick-up for them. I look forward to watching them play.

Gummi
07-18-2005, 09:07 PM
With Juwan Howard out for months, this is a solid signing for the Rockets. I've never been sold on Swift and I think my opinion of him will stay intact. He's athletic and that's it. He's got nothing else to offer IMO. No shot, poor D, and the sadest part of it all is that he thinks he's a star in this league.

Didn't Memphis offer him $6 mill a year last season and he turned it down because he thought he was a $9 mill a year player?

danyel
07-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Rockets are getting dangerous

If they get Jasikevicious:

PG-Sarunas
SG-Wesley
SF-TMac
PF-Swift
C-Yao

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Rockets are getting dangerous

If they get Jasikevicious:

PG-Sarunas
SG-Wesley
SF-TMac
PF-Swift
C-Yao

Where's the bench? Where's the defense?

danyel
07-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Where's the bench? Where's the defense?

Thats still a pretty good line up...no need to be an ass :rolleyes

ducks
07-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Jasikevicious will be a cav watch

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Thats still a pretty good line up..

On paper, sure.

But the game isn't won on paper.

Money316
07-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Thats still a pretty good line up...no need to be an ass :rolleyes

Truth sometimes hurts
:fro :fro :fro

ducks
07-18-2005, 09:26 PM
suns lose jj rockets could take the surprise of the nba next year like the suns did last year

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2005, 09:57 PM
dammit i think this makes the rockets alot better

he will fill in at center when yao pulls his usual tired act

TDMVPDPOY
07-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Good pickup, the price is right....looks like rockets are serious this season

IcemanCometh
07-18-2005, 10:06 PM
can't believe they got him for the mle

ducks
07-18-2005, 10:08 PM
ghost will now bitch

SequSpur
07-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Nice, we get another foreigner and another rival Western Conference team gets a solid NBA player.

Wonderful.

pdgaman12
07-18-2005, 10:29 PM
big deal...what has swift done? and sar is a career loser,it's obvious he doesn't wanna win,or he would really not be in love with the nets

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Some of y'all totally talk down the coaching Swift will get in Houston.

Houston got tougher up front, and it appears a lot of you forgot Houston punking us twice last year. They're one of the few teams in the league that can out-defense us on a given night.

ducks
07-18-2005, 10:46 PM
I think rockets could be should be more scary then suns if they let jj go

baseline bum
07-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Nice pickup for Houston. The Rockets bench is pretty good. Mike James, Bob Sura, Jon Barry, Juwan Howard, Dikembe Mutombo... they're no joke. I can see them winning 55+ games next season.

ducks
07-18-2005, 10:48 PM
did jon barry resign with rockets?

Spursdaone
07-18-2005, 10:57 PM
This guy gets more attention for doing nothing than anyone else in the league. He makes a few great dunks and all of a sudden he is an allstar. He sucks.

Sense
07-18-2005, 10:59 PM
big deal...what has swift done? and sar is a career loser,it's obvious he doesn't wanna win,or he would really not be in love with the nets

I've liked to compare swift to Amare in athleticism..

I for one, think the houston team already improved..

ceds
07-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Best signing so far this free agency period. When you consider what the Lakers are paying Kwame we are robbing Swift

We just filled our one major weakness with this signing. Now we have a team that can begin to challenge for a title

What western team matches up better with SA then the rockets?

Spursdaone
07-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Best signing so far this free agency period. When you consider what the Lakers are paying Kwame we are robbing Swift

We just filled our one major weakness with this signing. Now we have a team that can begin to challenge for a title

What western team matches up better with SA then the rockets?

The rockets are good now. They might actually get out of the first round but will lose in second round to San Antonio or Phoenix.

Mr. Body
07-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Houston a step forward. Dallas and probably Phoenix a step back.

Spursdaone
07-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Houston a step forward. Dallas and probably Phoenix a step back.
You call adding Bell and K. Thomas a step back? The suns will demolish Houston.

TheTruth
07-18-2005, 11:24 PM
I agree with spursdaone???? DAMN IT!!!

Pistonfan1
07-18-2005, 11:31 PM
As a Piston fan seeing you people freak out and get scared is absurd. You have last years team coming back and your the world champs EXPECT teams to make moves like this. You just dethroned my Pistons remember?? We just lost our friggin coach!!!! And you guys are having panic attacks cuz the Rockets got better so what! SPURS are the world champions arent they??? I guess Manu Parker Bowen Duncan Nazr etc etc isnt good enough for some of you fans.Be happy teams are doing these moves because it means your spurs are the center of attention. Teams are making moves to not only better their teams but to try to take out the champs. Rockets have a good team but look deep into a possible playoff series and look at the poise,mental toughness, and the battles your crew went through as a TEAM. You guys replaced Mass with Oberto!! Sorry if I am lashing out like this it has been a rough offseason NBA wise for me. We lose game 7 and a month later Larry Brown is gone and this day has just sucked.

ducks
07-18-2005, 11:33 PM
suns take a step back if jj goes to hawks

ceds
07-18-2005, 11:35 PM
The rockets are good now. They might actually get out of the first round but will lose in second round to San Antonio or Phoenix.

If we have the same Yao then i agree..2nd round and out but if Yao breaks out like Houston coaches expect after his first summer off in 3 years it changes everything. We will see

The core is set and we will begin to challenge..We will probably be SA's main rival for the next 5 or so years.

Mr. Body
07-18-2005, 11:36 PM

Don't be such a twit. 'Probably' means if they lose Johnson.

Spursdaone
07-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Phoenix would be stupid not to sign Joe Johnson. He is for real. They should go all out this year and try to win a championship. They can see if they think they can win a championship after half the season. If they aren't quite there which I doubt that would happen they could trade Marion for an expiring contract.

Mr. Body
07-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Alright, Moneybags, you pay for all those max contracts.

Spursdaone
07-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Alright, Moneybags, you pay for all those max contracts.
I'm sure those owners are rich. They can trade Marion for Van Horn or some other expiring contract. if they have to. They need to see how good they are before doing it. Nash has 1 or 2 years left and they should go all out.

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm sure those owners are rich. They can trade Marion for Van Horn or some other expiring contract. if they have to. They need to see how good they are before doing it. Nash has 1 or 2 years left and they should go all out.
Van Horn for the Matrix? :smokin

Let J.J. go. Players like Marion are a lot harder to find than a player like J.J.

T Park
07-19-2005, 02:02 AM
Houston got tougher up front

Well see.

Yao still has yet to show anything of significance.

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 02:04 AM
Houston got tougher up front
yeah, because as we all know swift is a big time banger. :lmao

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-19-2005, 02:40 AM
You know, puting up 18 and 9 every night is an easy thing to do in the NBA, huh T Park?

About as easy as it is to go 13-5 in a little more than half a season of baseball.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 09:51 AM
This guy had four years to unseat Lorenzen Wright from the starting lineup.

Four.

Lorenzen Wright.

Looks like he got another chance to frustrate another coaching staff if nothing else. At least the Rockets didn't overpay.

Joesteds
07-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Projected starting lineup for next year for the Rockets (if everything goes as I hope):
PG: Damon Stoudamire (older, still likes to burn blunts, but best option for him to win and play)
SG: David Wesley
SF: T-Mac- Most explosive offensive player in the league
PF: Swift- Will benefit with being next to T-Mac and Yao and he does play defense and blocks shots, very long which Rockets do not have
C: Yao- everyone says he sucks because he is overhyped, Dude is going into his fourth year in the league and he may not have matured like Duncan but it takes big men a while longer to develop, he still forces double teams which opens up the court

Bench:
Bob Sura: solid backup
Mike James: I think he will be gone in maybe a sign and trade with Portland, I heard him and T-Mac have complications
Scott Padget: not sure if they will resign him but a good shooter in spots
Jon Barry: if they resign him, good locker room guy also
Mutombo: I think they will resign him, he is a viable backup center

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Mike James: I think he will be gone in maybe a sign and trade with Portland, I heard him and T-Mac have complicationsWould they take Bruce?

ceds
07-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Tmac owns Bruce

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Leave it to Rocket fan to miss the joke.

ceds
07-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Duncan for Howard is a joke...Bowen for Mike James?

ive seen worse trades go down then that....

Joesteds
07-19-2005, 10:18 AM
I want to know why 25 year old Stromile Swift, who has actually put up numbers and played in the NBA is so criticized on here but Oberto is praised and Scola is a freaking god according to a bunch of people on here. Dicky V was right during the draft in saying that people here break down all the US players faults and make them known, but we don't do so much with the International players. I would much rather have a 25 year old Swift at 5-6 mil a year than a 30 year old Oberto at 2-3 mil a year.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 10:29 AM
I want to know why 25 year old Stromile Swift, who has actually put up numbers and played in the NBA is so criticized on hereHe was a #2 pick who hasn't lived up to expectations or dislodged Lo Wright as a starter, that's why.

As I said, the Rockets are paying about as much as they should for him.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-19-2005, 10:31 AM
If the Rockets do get Damon Stoudemire at the point I might be a little worried. As it stands they still don't have a quality PG running the show and that was enough to handcuff them for most of the season. Swift is a step up from whatever their rotation at PF was last year (Howard, Padgett, Baker, Weatherspoon?). He's a hell of an athlete and JVG will probably use that with Yao's size to really clog up some lanes. But he doesn't add much offensive punch to a team whose offense was annemic at best. The other scouting thing I've heard is that he's a great big man in terms of getting out and running the floor, which the Rockets don't like to do. He's a good pickup but doesn't exactly fit like a glove.

Joesteds
07-19-2005, 10:32 AM
I am holding out that this guy only played 1 year at LSU. Has not gotten the right amount of work in yet and can blossom into that type of player that a lot of young players have become after putting in their initial time in the league. Or he may have peaked already and just be a 10-13 point and 5-7 reb/ per game type of player.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Or he may have peaked already and just be a 10-13 point and 5-7 reb/ per game type of player.I'm a bit more of this mind -- It's not like he's had shitty coaching the past few years.

Extra Stout
07-19-2005, 10:34 AM
I want to know why 25 year old Stromile Swift, who has actually put up numbers and played in the NBA is so criticized on here but Oberto is praised and Scola is a freaking god according to a bunch of people on here. Dicky V was right during the draft in saying that people here break down all the US players faults and make them known, but we don't do so much with the International players. I would much rather have a 25 year old Swift at 5-6 mil a year than a 30 year old Oberto at 2-3 mil a year.

Well, Swift makes sense on the Rockets. He fills a need. Oberto fills a need on the Spurs.

Of course, the Spurs' needs are much less than the Rockets' needs.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-19-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm a bit more of this mind -- It's not like he's had shitty coaching the past few years.

It's true that he's had good coaching but, at least under Hubie, that system spread the ball around better than any other team in the league so there's another layer of uncertainty to this guy.

ceds
07-19-2005, 10:42 AM
He was a #2 pick who hasn't lived up to expectations or dislodged Lo Wright as a starter, that's why.

As I said, the Rockets are paying about as much as they should for him.

Now thats some bullshit..The rockets have a steal, Swift has 20, 10 and 2 type potential and is cheaper then Rasho

MLE is a bargain price for a 6'10 player of his caliber...i cant think of a better value FA signing this summer then Swifts deal..maybe reef but its a toss up

Joesteds
07-19-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm a bit more of this mind -- It's not like he's had shitty coaching the past few years.

He has had good coaching, but I think Memphis is just a mess. Jason Williams is a headcase, Bonzi was a former Trailblazer (nuff said), Pau has not improved since his rookie year. I swore he was not backing up Lorenzen Wright, he was behind Gasol, who is a better player right now. The way they used to run 5 in and 5 out just seems like a bad way for him to mature to the player he can be. He will get his chance now and hopefully he flourishes. I like how he signed for less to get a chance to play for a winner for at least the next 5-6 years.

Extra Stout
07-19-2005, 10:44 AM
I am holding out that this guy only played 1 year at LSU. Has not gotten the right amount of work in yet and can blossom into that type of player that a lot of young players have become after putting in their initial time in the league. Or he may have peaked already and just be a 10-13 point and 5-7 reb/ per game type of player.
Players after five years in the league only have a chance to become more consistent versions of what they already are. They aren't going to explode into something new.

Swift has come out of an organization with a great player development structure, and he's plateaued. Jerry West simply let him go and started over with somebody else. If he'd come out of a crummy organization like Toronto or New York, your hypothesis might be more credible.

Defining a player just by his stat line is kind of a rotisserie way of looking at the game anyway. There are many ways to get 10 pts and 7 rebs. In Swift's case, it's basically just athleticism, which is fine for Houston, because that's what they were lacking up front. The Rockets are getting a smaller Kelvin Cato with worse positional defense and a little better jump shot, basically. Hopefully he's more motivated.

This is still a good pickup for the Rockets, not the "best of the free agent period" like some are saying, but helpful nonetheless.

Joesteds
07-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Swift has come out of an organization with a great player development structure, and he's plateaued. Jerry West simply let him go and started over with somebody else. If he'd come out of a crummy organization like Toronto or New York, your hypothesis might be more credible.

How is Memphis a great player development structure? No one has truely blossomed in that organization. Pau Gasol has not gotten any better since his rookie year. Jason Williams lost his flair that got him the name. Bonzi was a hell of a lot better in Portland than there. Shane Battier has no produced like a top ten pick should. I go the other way on this one. I think they have a system where they have too many players in there and it hurts individual talent from flourishing.

ceds
07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
This is still a good pickup for the Rockets, not the "best of the free agent period" like some are saying, but helpful nonetheless.

Tell me the last time a young bigman who just come off a season averaging 18 and 9 signed a long term deal for the MLE?

Troy Murphy , Randolf etc had huge deals last year. Dalembert wants the max, Curry and Chandler want big money. Swift for MLE is a steal

GrandeDavid
07-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Some of y'all totally talk down the coaching Swift will get in Houston.

Houston got tougher up front, and it appears a lot of you forgot Houston punking us twice last year. They're one of the few teams in the league that can out-defense us on a given night.

Ag, we also punked them without Duncan and one of those losses to H-Town was due to a freakish fluke 30 second meltdown which will probably never happen again in franchise history.

Having said that, the Rockets are tough and you are correct in saying that they can match the Spurs' defensive intensity on any given night. At this extremely early, non-existent stage of analysis of next year's playoffs, though, I still have a tough time seeing Houston go the distance with the Spurs in a 7 game series.

Joesteds
07-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Projected starting lineup for next year for the Rockets (if everything goes as I hope):
PG: Damon Stoudamire (older, still likes to burn blunts, but best option for him to win and play)
SG: David Wesley
SF: T-Mac- Most explosive offensive player in the league
PF: Swift- Will benefit with being next to T-Mac and Yao and he does play defense and blocks shots, very long which Rockets do not have
C: Yao- everyone says he sucks because he is overhyped, Dude is going into his fourth year in the league and he may not have matured like Duncan but it takes big men a while longer to develop, he still forces double teams which opens up the court

Bench:
Bob Sura: solid backup
Mike James: I think he will be gone in maybe a sign and trade with Portland, I heard him and T-Mac have complications
Scott Padget: not sure if they will resign him but a good shooter in spots
Jon Barry: if they resign him, good locker room guy also
Mutombo: I think they will resign him, he is a viable backup center

I forgot to throw in Luther Head, who could develop into a good backup pg or sg. As a rook he could bring energy and give good spot minutes. I like his as a player that was taken late in the first round.

Extra Stout
07-19-2005, 11:15 AM
How is Memphis a great player development structure? No one has truely blossomed in that organization. Pau Gasol has not gotten any better since his rookie year. Jason Williams lost his flair that got him the name. Bonzi was a hell of a lot better in Portland than there. Shane Battier has no produced like a top ten pick should. I go the other way on this one. I think they have a system where they have too many players in there and it hurts individual talent from flourishing.

With the physical talent in that organization, it's hard to figure how they're even a playoff team. And yet they have been.

If you look at Gasol, his problem is that he can't stay healthy. His minutes are down from his rookie year, yet he still maintains a similar level of production when he does play. That sounds to me like a more efficient player, even with the injury problems.

Jason Williams lost his "flair" because Hubie Brown was teaching him discipline. Hubie was the only guy who ever could reach JWill. JWill loved Hubie and responded to him. It was working. JWill was finally becoming a mature basketball player and harnessing his considerbale talent in a constructive way rather than just making highlight plays. See, as a Rocket fan you buy into all the cheap, tawdry, flashy parts of the game, like Jason Williams making unnecessary trick moves that don't help his team. Now, Mike Fratello has lost Jason Williams and he's gone back to the immature troublemaker.

The drop in Wells' production has a lot to do with minutes. Bonzi had that career year in 2000-01 when he replaced Steve Smith as a starter, largely because he could post up smaller guards at will because nobody dared switch off Scottie Pippen or Rasheed. His Memphis production has been comparable to or better than his later years in Portland, once Scottie got old and he longer had that protection. Mike Fratello also lost Bonzi Wells, though a lot of that is Wells' fault because he's a head case. Jerry West was able to get away with a few head cases on his team with Hubie Brown around, because players revered Brown as the this all-knowing shaman. Fratello doesn't have that respect.

Shane Battier has produced just fine for his talent level. He is an absolutely solid fundamental player on both ends of the floor who makes his teammates better, and I would love it if the Spurs could get their hands on him. As a Rocket fan, you have no feel for players who do things that don't show up on the stat sheet. If the media weren't telling you that Bruce Bowen is a great defender, you'd have no idea how he's managing to start for the champions.

Of course Battier can't start on the Grizzlies because of James Posey, who went from a marginal player in Houston to a borderline star in Memphis. But nobody blossoms in Memphis, right? If only those Grizzlies could get the most out of their players...

One thing that may frustrate and confuse you as a Rocket fan fixated on individual talent is how as JVG and Dawson build the team, Yao's stats WON'T go up, and McGrady's may actually go DOWN. Hint: Tim Duncan could average 28 points a game if he wanted to do it, and Manu Ginobili could average about 23.

Extra Stout
07-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Tell me the last time a young bigman who just come off a season averaging 18 and 9 signed a long term deal for the MLE?

Troy Murphy , Randolf etc had huge deals last year. Dalembert wants the max, Curry and Chandler want big money. Swift for MLE is a stealUmm, Swift averaged 10 and 4.5, not 18 and 9. Wow, he's only been a Rocket for hours, and you're already inflating him into twice the player he is.

Shareef to NJ is a bigger signing than Swift to Houston.

Don't get me wrong, Swift fills a hole the Rockets had. They needed more athleticism and more rebounding, and Swift provides those things. But he's a role player, not a star. He blocks shots, but isn't much in man-to-man or team defense. He's an explosive leaper, and has a relatively reliable short jumper, but has few low-post moves, doesn't pass well, and can't shoot past about 12 feet. He's a GREAT rebounder. But you're overrating him. His inconsistency is going to drive JVG CRAZY.

Add his game to Juwan Howard's, and you have a complete player. A platoon of the two of them is better than what most teams have. And in the crazy overinflated world of NBA big men, maybe he is something of a bargain. But Stromile freaking Swift is not this coup de grace acquisition that makes the Rockets an NBA power like you frontrunning Houston fans are telling yourselves.

Joesteds
07-19-2005, 11:37 AM
With the physical talent in that organization, it's hard to figure how they're even a playoff team. And yet they have been.

If you look at Gasol, his problem is that he can't stay healthy. His minutes are down from his rookie year, yet he still maintains a similar level of production when he does play. That sounds to me like a more efficient player, even with the injury problems.

Jason Williams lost his "flair" because Hubie Brown was teaching him discipline. Hubie was the only guy who ever could reach JWill. JWill loved Hubie and responded to him. It was working. JWill was finally becoming a mature basketball player and harnessing his considerbale talent in a constructive way rather than just making highlight plays. See, as a Rocket fan you buy into all the cheap, tawdry, flashy parts of the game, like Jason Williams making unnecessary trick moves that don't help his team. Now, Mike Fratello has lost Jason Williams and he's gone back to the immature troublemaker.

The drop in Wells' production has a lot to do with minutes. Bonzi had that career year in 2000-01 when he replaced Steve Smith as a starter, largely because he could post up smaller guards at will because nobody dared switch off Scottie Pippen or Rasheed. His Memphis production has been comparable to or better than his later years in Portland, once Scottie got old and he longer had that protection. Mike Fratello also lost Bonzi Wells, though a lot of that is Wells' fault because he's a head case. Jerry West was able to get away with a few head cases on his team with Hubie Brown around, because players revered Brown as the this all-knowing shaman. Fratello doesn't have that respect.

Shane Battier has produced just fine for his talent level. He is an absolutely solid fundamental player on both ends of the floor who makes his teammates better, and I would love it if the Spurs could get their hands on him. As a Rocket fan, you have no feel for players who do things that don't show up on the stat sheet. If the media weren't telling you that Bruce Bowen is a great defender, you'd have no idea how he's managing to start for the champions.

Of course Battier can't start on the Grizzlies because of James Posey, who went from a marginal player in Houston to a borderline star in Memphis. But nobody blossoms in Memphis, right? If only those Grizzlies could get the most out of their players...

One thing that may frustrate and confuse you as a Rocket fan fixated on individual talent is how as JVG and Dawson build the team, Yao's stats WON'T go up, and McGrady's may actually go DOWN. Hint: Tim Duncan could average 28 points a game if he wanted to do it, and Manu Ginobili could average about 23.

You have a very good argument here, but you discount it all with cheap shots at Rockets fans. Seems like Fratello lost a lot of players here and he is apart of that great structure they have. Jason Williams was not as good as he was hyped up to be agreed, but can you tell me that he is any better now than he was in his days in Sac. The system that Memphis has is a good college system, but as you can see from their production, it doesnt get them past the first round or into the top tier of the West. What are you talking about the physical talent they have in there? Gasol is supposed to be a seven foot stud, but never flourished after his great first year and continues to be the same player. Efficient? Put on weight and get steadier and healthy, damn that. Jason Williams has the quickness and shooting and passing touch to be an all star. Bonzi Wells is still a big guard with talented guys around him, not producing as much. James Posey played damn well in Houston and has gotten better in Memphis but don't mistake him for almost being at a star level. Battier was the leader of a great Duke progam and was selected #6 I believe. Now I can't go check nba draft sites cause its blocked at work, but I dare to bet there were a lot more players there that would blossom a lot more. Someone in there liked Battier and thought he could be more than he is to take him that high. Your stats are impressive and yes I know TD could avg. more, but the Rockets don't have the same type of talent around their two stars as the Spurs do. This Swift move is definitely a step in the right direction. You may read a lot of articles that make you feel like an expert, but I am guessing you don't play the game as much as I do, so take your time before you call out Rockets fans as not knowing true team basketball.

Extra Stout
07-19-2005, 11:51 AM
You may read a lot of articles that make you feel like an expert, but I am guessing you don't play the game as much as I do, so take your time before you call out Rockets fans as not knowing true team basketball.I'm not ever going to be polite to Rockets fans. Ever. There is no team or fan base I hate more, including the Lakers.

easjer
07-19-2005, 11:53 AM
This was one of the two toughest divisions last year, if not the toughest. It's only gotten worse this year. Good pick up by Houston, but they still need to address their pg needs. Their draft pick was a great long term step but JVG won't play him much this year.

They'll still be tough and scary - and while I think Yao is a useless marshmallow center, I have much respect for TMac - but we'll be all right, if we do it right, we'll win the division. If not, we'll be facing either Houston or Dallas in the first round of the playoffs.

Horry For 3!
07-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Great sign for the Rockets. Swift is a solid player and very athletic.

Leetonidas
07-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Good news for the Rockets.

Mark in Austin
07-19-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm not ever going to be polite to Rockets fans. Ever. There is no team or fan base I hate more, including the Lakers.

:lol. For me they're a close second to the Lakers, but why quibble?

As far as the signing... ehhh.

Chump is exactly right. Dude had had years to beat out Lorenzen Wright and hasn't done so. AT this point, Stro = Keon Clark. Maybe.

Could it work out well for Houston? sure. But I'd give it a 50-50 chance at best.

leemajors
07-19-2005, 07:11 PM
memphis is in the western conference, and ran into steamrollers in the first round the last 2 years. bad draw, but they are just a mid level team. give them a real center and maybe they could advance.

Spursdaone
07-19-2005, 07:20 PM
:lmao at the rockets thinking they are championship contenders. Who will start? Howard or Swift? They might win 1 or 2 more games in the season but they might lose Barry and Mutombo. Those 2 equal what Swift can do.

Spursdaone
07-19-2005, 07:33 PM
When did Swift become so good? Last I saw he was the 10th man on the Grizzlies team. He sucks.

yavozerb
07-19-2005, 09:50 PM
This signing makes me sick!!!!!!!T-Mac was already to athletic for the spurs and now Swift...This team is going to be tough.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
I'd be more scared about the signing if Swift could board at a higher rate than, say, Jumaine Jones for example.

mavsfan1000
07-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Nooooo!!! This sucks. That is the player that Dallas wanted but Houston got. I hope Dallas can still get better.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Dallas will get better if they sign Josh Powell from their summer league.

Sense
07-19-2005, 10:25 PM
When did Swift become so good? Last I saw he was the 10th man on the Grizzlies team. He sucks.

Swift has dominated the Spurs, not with numbers..... but our big men have had trouble with him. He's just as hard to stop sometimes as Amare.

The Houston Rockets need 1 more better starter to become contenders though.

Sense
07-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Prodigy, Syracuse: Who do you think is the biggest threat in the West?

Bruce Bowen: Honestly, I can't say right now. Anyone can be on paper, we'll have to see. But I think the acquisition of Stromile Swift in Houston, if it happens, would be huge. Dallas is a good team. There are lots of good teams.

Guru of Nothing
07-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Haha.

Rocket fans are experiencing an emotion very similar to what Spur fans felt when J.R. Reid was acquired.

mavsfan1000
07-20-2005, 01:06 AM
Are the rockets resigning J. Barry and Mutombo? Those guys were big against Dallas.

Sense
07-20-2005, 04:34 AM
I didn't think so..

I think Barry sucks..

and I don't see Mutombo comin back.. :/ IMO

TheTruth
07-20-2005, 04:41 AM
J. Barry is a nice player. Every team needs a hustle and heart player like him.

Spursdaone
07-20-2005, 07:28 PM
If Barry doesn't come back the rockets will suck at shooting guard.

ace3g
07-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Jon Barry is one of my favorites to join the spurs

mavsfan1000
07-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Here is why I think Dallas is still better than Houston

1. Houston's role players such as Barry(if signed), Sura, Mutombo(if signed), Wesley are a year older
2. Having Swift in at power forward takes away Houston's exploiting Dirk's defense by putting Mcgrady at power forward.
3. Daniels matches up better against Houston than Finley because he is a better defender than Finley and will be needed to guard Mcgrady. Finley isn't expected back so Daniels will be given more minutes.
4. Dampier will be in better shape if he doesn't miss so many games this year.
5. Van Horn also won't get exploited as much on defense.

If Houston beats us, they are just better. They matchup better to San Antonio with this addition but Dallas not quite as much.

bobbyjoe
07-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Houston is not retarded. They are going to use McGrady on Dirk and Dirk simply can not score on Tracy McGrady. Your post is pure homerism: Mavs improve while losing Finley and Houston doesn't get better adding Swift? Yeah, sure. The Mavs killed the Rockets in the playoffs with dribble penetration and adding a shotblocker like Swift defenitely helps Houston in containing that element of the Mavs attack.

Dirk was undressed by McGrady in that series. He's incredibly soft. Dallas is just not a threat to win a Title and never will be. Houston isn't either, but they are getting closer unlike the Mavs. And they are actually on the right path because they play defense, Mavs do not.

Your post was funny though. Van Horn won't get exploited as much on D? LOL. Why, he's still Van Horn. Dampier is a scrub and always will be.

mavsfan1000
07-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Dirk will work on his post game now that he knows how important it is. Van Horn only gets exploited against good shooters because it is tough for him to come out against them. You are just ignorant and a mavs hater. You don't have any good ideas.

Money316
07-21-2005, 07:21 PM
This guy gets more attention for doing nothing than anyone else in the league. He makes a few great dunks and all of a sudden he is an allstar. He sucks.

:lol :lol :lol

Money316
07-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Nooooo!!! This sucks. That is the player that Dallas wanted but Houston got. I hope Dallas can still get better.

Dallas who? I shot the bastard JR! :fro

Money316
07-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Tmac owns Bruce

Yeah and Bruce owns Tmac's ring.