PDA

View Full Version : Spurs don't get free agents that are sought after

SpursFan4-Life
07-15-2013, 03:09 PM
AK47, MWP, jarrett jack, al Jefferson....... The list goes on and on

Season after season it's the same story, how many off seasons is it going to take for spurs fans to realize that SA is last destination in the NBA that players want to be in. Doesn't matter how good we are, what cap space we have, no income tax, it's SA. The media (Steven A Smith doesn't help) always make it known how boring this city is and how fat the women are

We are what we are via trades, draft, picking up scraps, it's a miracle we have RC Buford

spurraider21
07-15-2013, 03:11 PM
:lol mwp cocoveted nobody claimed him off waivers

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2013, 03:15 PM

Season after season it's the same story, how many off seasons is it going to take for spurs fans to realize that SA is last destination in the NBA that players want to be in. Doesn't matter how good we are, what cap space we have, no income tax, it's SA. The media (Steven A Smith doesn't help) always make it known how boring this city is and how fat the women are

We are what we are via trades, draft, picking up scraps, it's a miracle we have RC BufordHow truthful is all of this? Could it be that the FO doesn't do as good of a job of going after these free agents that we so desire? I mean I never heard reports or rumors that the Spurs were interested in Jarrett Jack, Al Jefferson, MWP, etc. Don't you think the FO should be held somewhat accountable for not coveting some of these players? IMO, I think the FO doesn't show enough interest in free agents. I do agree with your statement for the most part but I don't think it's the sole reason for not signing free agents. Check out my thread that got locked for bitc*ing about this matter. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219356&p=6739859#post6739859

SpursFan4-Life
07-15-2013, 03:17 PM
How truthful is all of this? Could it be that the FO doesn't do as good of a job of going after these free agents that we so desire? I mean I never heard reports or rumors that the Spurs were interested in Jarrett Jack, Al Jefferson, MWP, etc. Don't you think the FO should be held somewhat accountable for not coveting some of these players? IMO, I think the FO doesn't show enough interest in free agents. I do agree with your statement for the most part but I don't think it's the sole reason for not signing free agents. Check out my thread that got locked for bitc*ing about this matter. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219356&p=6739859#post6739859

I'm sure they show plenty of interest behind closed doors, it's just that SA can't change its location, these players don't want to be associated with what the media has painted this team as the most boring team in sports

Chinook
07-15-2013, 03:18 PM
AK47, MWP, jarrett jack, al Jefferson.......

Outside of Kirilenko, the Spurs didn't want any player on that list.

T Park
07-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Threads from 2003....

rjv
07-15-2013, 03:23 PM
big splash free agent signings usually result in no championship (the miami free agent bonanza being an exception). the role player or veteran free agent signings usually matter most.

SpursFan4-Life
07-15-2013, 03:36 PM
big splash free agent signings usually result in no championship (the miami free agent bonanza being an exception). the role player or veteran free agent signings usually matter most.

Spurs also can't pull off huge trades, Lakers getting Pau, celtics getting Allen and KG

the biggest thing spurs did was get the bust RJ

Budkin
07-15-2013, 03:38 PM

We are what we are via trades, draft, picking up scraps, it's a miracle we have RC Buford

Just wait until OKC doesn't have Durant...

coyotes_geek
07-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Excellent topic. This is something that has never been brought up before.

rjv
07-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Spurs also can't pull off huge trades, Lakers getting Pau, celtics getting Allen and KG

the biggest thing spurs did was get the bust RJ

who have the spurs been willing to give up (that a team would have asked for) over the past decade that would have yielded such assets in return ?

TD 21
07-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Outside of Kirilenko, the Spurs didn't want any player on that list.

True, but the point remains. Solid veterans always flock to the contenders for below market value, yet how often has this been the case with the Spurs? I realize that in recent years they've tried to go younger and that, other than this past season, they hadn't entered a season as a consensus top five team in a while (which is stupid), but still.

It just seems like, whatever they do, it never seems to raise their stock amongst players in the league. Why aren't some of these guys trying to latch onto them? There hasn't been a single rumor about "Billups (or Brand or whoever) wants to be a Spur and is willing to take less".

The only relatively big name they're supposedly a frontrunner for is Oden, a guy who hasn't played in over three and a half years and who probably isn't physically capable of playing period . . . and even him, I'd be shocked if he picked them over the Heat. They can offer more guaranteed money and anything else they can think of, but in the end, it more than likely won't matter.

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2013, 04:11 PM
True, but the point remains. Solid veterans always flock to the contenders for below market value, yet how often has this been the case with the Spurs? I realize that in recent years they've tried to go younger and that, other than this past season, they hadn't entered a season as a consensus top five team in a while (which is stupid), but still.

It just seems like, whatever they do, it never seems to raise their stock amongst players in the league. Why aren't some of these guys trying to latch onto them? There hasn't been a single rumor about "Billups (or Brand or whoever) wants to be a Spur and is willing to take less".

The only relatively big name they're supposedly a frontrunner for is Oden, a guy who hasn't played in over three and a half years and who probably isn't physically capable of playing period . . . and even him, I'd be shocked if he picked them over the Heat. They can offer more guaranteed money and anything else they can think of, but in the end, it more than likely won't matter.Agree. I would add to your argument the fact the Spurs haven't won a championship in 6 years. If only Tim Duncan was still in his prime, the Spurs would be enticing to other players like it was back in the day when we got Robert Horry, Nick Van Axel, Brent Barry, Michael Finley, etc. Does anyone remember Charlie Ward? That guy was a complete bust for us.

TD 21
07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Agree. I would add to your argument the fact the Spurs haven't won a championship in 6 years. If only Tim Duncan was still in his prime, the Spurs would be enticing to other players like it was back in the day when we got Robert Horry, Nick Van Axel, Brent Barry, Michael Finley, etc. Does anyone remember Charlie Ward? That guy was a complete bust for us.

So what? They've been one of the three or four best teams in the league the past three years.

Why should it matter that he's technically not in his prime, when in the past year and a half, he's morphed back into a clear cut top ten and borderline top five player? This, in addition to Parker being in that same range.

I'm not saying the Heat shouldn't be the most sought after destination for the Allen's of the world. I'm saying, last time I checked, they only have 15 roster spots, so all these guys can't play for them . . . and after them, with the possible exception of the Thunder, there isn't a more likely spot to win a championship in the next two years.

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2013, 04:29 PM
So what? They've been one of the three or four best teams in the league the past three years.

Why should it matter that he's technically not in his prime, when in the past year and a half, he's morphed back into a clear cut top ten and borderline top five player? This, in addition to Parker being in that same range.

I'm not saying the Heat shouldn't be the most sought after destination for the Allen's of the world. I'm saying, last time I checked, they only have 15 roster spots, so all these guys can't play for them . . . and after them, with the possible exception of the Thunder, there isn't a more likely spot to win a championship in the next two years.Spurs have been playoff contenders but they haven't been championship contenders until 2012. There is a huge difference. In 2011, the Spurs got upset by Memphis so I refuse to include that year.

Don't forget that the Spurs haven't really had any cap space these past two years. The only time they had cap space, they wasted it on a scrub like RJ. And now that they finally had cap space this offseason, they wasted it on overpaying Tiago (reasonable given the Portland offer) and a washed up 36 year old SG and the FO's refusal to get rid of Matt Bonner.

Not only that, but they also opted to waste the MLE exception on Belli (when we could still keep Neal for cheap) and a PF with scrub stats in Pendergraph. I think the FO jumped the gun on their MLE IMO. They were better off waiting for any unsigned players like AK47 or a bid on MWP.

sananspursfan21
07-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Cool story bro

rjv
07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
the only fiasco i can think of was the RJ trade... the scola scenario was always way overhyped IMO

TXstbobcat
07-15-2013, 04:48 PM
We never get the 1st tier players in free agency. Spurs get 2nd and 3rd tier players like Rasho ans McDyess.

TXstbobcat
07-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Spurs build teams through the draft and add roll players through free agency.

Seventyniner
07-15-2013, 05:06 PM
If this ends up being the case in 2015, it could be alarming. Until then, meh.

BatManu20
07-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Welcome to San Antonio. You must be new here.

r0drig0lac
07-15-2013, 05:26 PM
I find the topic very interesting and valid points, those who are making jokes about it so will understand the problem when timmy retire

stxspurs
07-15-2013, 05:33 PM
who cares....they probably just went for AK47...move along..

rascal
07-15-2013, 05:43 PM

False
Shaq: Lakers

Obstructed_View
07-15-2013, 06:08 PM
The Spurs ended up with free agents like Bruce Bowen and Danny Green and Glenn Robinson and Brent Barry and Jaren Jackson and Mario Elie and Michael Finley and Robert Horry who weren't considered high-profile acquisitions, yet contributed to championships.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2013, 06:10 PM
False
Shaq: Lakers

"usually", tbh. Shaq was arguably the biggest free-agent acquisition in the history of sports. So yeah, aside from that one. :lol

tesseractive
07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Excellent topic. This is something that has never been brought up before.
The real question is: there are so many players in the league. Why does it seem like the Spurs only get 1/30th of them?

TheWriter
07-15-2013, 08:10 PM
OP with a pos thread.

Al Jefferson? Jarrett jack? Wtf are you talking about? Spurs
Didn't need or want those players not would thy have had the money to sign them with losing Tiago or Manu.

Leetonidas
07-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Spurs were never trying to get Jack or Jefferson and Kirilenko obviously was interested but the Wolves didn't do us any favors. Yeah no shit genius, SA is a small market and it's hot and humid and kinda boring. Not that much of a fucking reach there

anakha
07-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Great username/post combo, OP.

:lmao