PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Contract, DVD put wrap on Horry's season

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Contract, DVD put wrap on Horry's season
Web Posted: 07/19/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071905.1D.spurs.c43338f.html

Oh, to be Robert Horry. Throw in one more heart-stopping, history-changing 3-pointer in a playoff performance for the ages, win your sixth NBA championship and, suddenly, the summer's an endless banquet circuit.

Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa want you for their morning show. The ESPYs call with a red-carpet invitation. Do you have time to attend Greg Anthony's charity event in Las Vegas? How about Alonzo Mourning's in Miami?

"I don't think I've slept," Horry said Monday night after stopping by the SBC Center for the premiere of the Spurs' championship DVD. "With all this travel, I feel so fat and out of shape. I'm going to have to start working out this week before I get too far gone."

In addition to squeezing in an appointment with a treadmill, Horry has one more item on his immediate to-do list: Sign a new three-year contract with the Spurs.

Not swayed by a more lucrative offer from Dallas, Horry agreed in principle July 5 to re-sign with the Spurs. The deal can be officially completed as soon as Friday, provided the NBA doesn't postpone the end of its signing moratorium.

"It feels great to come back," Horry said. "The Spurs said I was their priority, and they treated me that way. At this point in my career, happiness is what matters most."

Horry, who turns 35 on Aug.25, averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds in 18.6 minutes over 75 games last season. The Spurs likely again will try to guard his minutes to keep him fresh for the playoffs. With Argentina's Fabricio Oberto also agreeing to a three-year contract, the Spurs should have depth at the power forward and center positions — particularly if Rasho Nesterovic isn't traded.

"It's funny; when you're sitting there on the bench, all you want to do is play," Horry said. "But when you see how your body feels at the end of the season, you kind of understand why they (limited his minutes)."

Horry figures to be on the floor when it matters most. Not only has he never missed the playoffs in his 13 seasons in the league, he's never failed to advance to the second round.

Horry's reputation as one of the game's greatest postseason legends only grew after his performance in Game 5 of the NBA Finals. After failing to make a single shot through much of the first three quarters, he scored 21 points in the final 17 minutes, 1 second. The last three points came on a 25-footer he buried with 5.8 seconds remaining in overtime, lifting the Spurs to a 96-95 victory over the Detroit Pistons.

Horry, not surprisingly, has yet to escape the shot's shadow during his summer travels.

"I can't tell you how many times I've seen it," Horry said. "It seems like everybody has a picture of it they want autographed. I'll start to feel like (the attention) is subsiding, then I'll go somewhere and someone will yell, 'Hey, Big Shot!'"

Staff additions: The Spurs officially signed Chip Engelland, Steve Kerr's former shot doctor, as an assistant coach Monday. Engelland, who spent the previous two seasons in Denver as a player-development coach, will be charged with helping improve Tony Parker's stroke and, if possible, raising the team's free-throw percentage.

The Spurs also plan to create a full-time position for Monty Williams. Williams, who is guiding the Spurs' summer-league team in Salt Lake City, interned with the coaching staff last season.

milkyway21
07-19-2005, 01:20 AM
Staff additions: The Spurs officially signed Chip Engelland, Steve Kerr's former shot doctor, as an assistant coach Monday. Engelland, who spent the previous two seasons in Denver as a player-development coach, will be charged with helping improve Tony Parker's stroke and, if possible, raising the team's free-throw percentage

he:D he:D about time coach Pops.

Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa want you for their morning show. The ESPYs call with a red-carpet invitation. Do you have time to attend Greg Anthony's charity event in Las Vegas? How about Alonzo Mourning's in Miami?

"I don't think I've slept," Horry said Monday night after stopping by the SBC Center for the premiere of the Spurs' championship DVD. "With all this travel, I feel so fat and out of shape. I'm going to have to start working out this week before I get too far gone."

Horry going Hollywood after retiring in the NBA?

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Congrats to Monty.

spurster
07-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Horry gets his reward, and I hope he can continue to hit the big shots. However, he missed themin 2003 and 2004 before getting a big one in 2005.

Louae
07-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Horry gets his reward, and I hope he can continue to hit the big shots. However, he missed themin 2003 and 2004 before getting a big one in 2005.

Well, it's nice to know there was still some magic left in the bottle. We needed every bit of it in game 5.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 09:00 AM
The Spurs also plan to create a full-time position for Monty Williams. Williams, who is guiding the Spurs' summer-league team in Salt Lake City, interned with the coaching staff last season.I think half the reason our SL team was so craptacular was to give Monty a trial by fire. Congrats.

slayermin
07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
So have the details of Bobby's contract been posted in another thread or does anyone know exactly how much he's getting?

TwoHandJam
07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Engelland, who spent the previous two seasons in Denver as a player-development coach, will be charged with helping improve Tony Parker's stroke ...

Nice.... :smokin

1Parker1
07-19-2005, 02:45 PM
How was the DVD, I still haven't gotten mine. How long is it, an hour?

Dre_7
07-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Awesome!

To think how much I hated the guy! Good to have him on "our" side! I thought it would be a long whole summer process to get him signed.

kskonn
07-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Awesome!

To think how much I hated the guy! Good to have him on "our" side! I thought it would be a long whole summer process to get him signed.

Yea he really stuck to his word, he did not screw around. That is awesome. Now Rob, and the rest of SA, can relax for the rest of the summer.

angel_luv
07-19-2005, 03:48 PM
The dvd is 300 minutes long. I have already seen all of it once and am half way through my second viewing. = )

Hey Kori, have you seen the DVD yet? If so, is that Michelle (from the game 5 against detroit gtg at your house) that they show in the baseline bum section?
Also did you get to go the to VIP DVD premier in the Terrace Club?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Will Smith rocks!!!