PDA

View Full Version : Julian Mozo's article: Scola wants to play in the NBA this year

Pages : [1] 2

kolko
07-19-2005, 01:29 AM
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=1016784

Translation of the interview:

The Spurs "played" with you. Are you disappointed with this situation?

I always say that every coach of the world wants Jordan and for the rest of the players, some coaches wants them and some other not. Everyone do what is best for him. They are in debt with me. It couldn't be done because of rules, contracts. Nothing more.

You don't look disappointed.

I'm happy because of Fabri, who is one of my best friends. Also, if I cool off and think about it, he fits better in the team than me. Fabri is a 5 and Duncan is a 4 who doesn't like playing as a 5. And I'm a 4. Fabri will give the Spurs a lot of things, more than me, some things I can't do: defense, rebounding, a bigger body. He has more characteristics and I, as a Spurs fan, see the positive thing. Also, the protagonism and minutes of Rasho Nesterovic were down, so he has a great opportunity. And also a great chance to win a ring. I'm happy for him, I've only lost an opportunity.

You improved a lot in that aspects you mentioned. Do you believe that Oberto fits better? Look at Horry, who is a 4. He was the better player playing along Duncan.

(Thinks) I don't know, I see it that way.

Have you received an offer before?

That's not true. There was something, but there also was a time and dates set for fixing the buyout. And I couldn't. Now I have to find another way to make my dream true.

Can you explain better the offer and the dates?

There wasn't an offer. The thing was the dates, the rules. But I don't want to talk about that. I only say that I lost a chance, that there are 29 more teams, and if nothing happens, I'm very happy playing for Tau.

There are 29 more teams but the Spurs own your rights. Have you asked to be traded?

Yes, because it is the only option. They have my rights but don't count on me for the roster. They used all the money and they have all the positions full, so there is no place for me there. I imagine they will search for solutions not to waste me.

There is a rumor in San Antonio that your buyout is around 14.5 millions dollars. Is that correct?

No. That buyout is only for teams of Europe. The buyout for the NBA is different.

How much?

I'm not saying it. I will only say that nobody guessed it right.

Tau doesn't want to lose you, but you may be back with a bad attitude towards the club.

I have always said that my dream is the NBA, but Tau doesn't want me to go. They want me to extend my contract. In Tau I have spent five spectacular years, it's the most important team I have ever played.

Do you want to play another year in Spain?

I have already said that I want to play in the NBA this year. And they know this.

How do you see it?

Everything is very recent. It's been days since all happened. I have to be patient. Everyone will make their moves and I imagine they have a plan with me.

How difficult is to sign Scola?

It's not that hard. But I haven't got an offer yet. I must wait. I lost a chance but I still have faith.

Also another article of Ole (Link (http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=1016788)) says that Scola was offered a 3-year $7M contract and they declined it. And Scola's agent said that there are four teams interested in him.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 01:38 AM
This is very different than what has been said elsewhere. Very interesting. I'm glad we finally heard something from Scola's mouth.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2005, 01:44 AM
Very interesting indeed. It seems he's not as happy as we were led to believe, but is instead trying to say all the right things without bullshitting in order to remain as professional as possible.

Well, that is fine, and I respect that but the bottom line is that the buy obligation rests squarly on his shoulders and he's had plenty of time to work it out. Tau is probably paying hardball and wants more than 3 million, but will settle for less than 14.5. He probably had not worked it down to an acceptable level, and wanted more time but obviously the Spurs wanted to make the move.

One could speculate that Fabrico was actually they're preferred target but in typical CIA mode they played the PR game perfectly.

The good news is that if Scola can work down that buyout, I'm sure the Spurs will entertain offers for him. He really isn't something that fits into the future on this team. With Horry locked up for 3 years, where would his role be?

Hopefully Scola gets his rights dealt this year and is able to workout his buyout so that we can see him play some NBA ball. I'm eager to see if he lives up to the hype.

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 01:46 AM
What could the Spurs expect to get for Scola?

DieMrBond
07-19-2005, 01:46 AM

I'm happy because of Fabri, who is one of my best friends. Also, if I cool off and think about it, he fits better in the team than me. Fabri is a 5 and Duncan is a 4 who doesn't like playing as a 5. And I'm a 4. Fabri will give the Spurs a lot of things, more than me, some things I can't do: defense, rebounding, a bigger body.

Did anyone else find that interesting? The fact that he thinks his defence + rebounding isnt any good?

MannyIsGod
07-19-2005, 01:47 AM
They'd have to package him with something else or they just get back draft picks because they are over the cap.

I think?

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 01:48 AM
Did anyone else find that interesting? The fact that he thinks his defence + rebounding isnt any good?

Yeah, I laughed out loud when I read that. I've never heard a basketball player who was trying to make it in the NBA so freely admit his faults.

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 01:48 AM

I'm happy because of Fabri, who is one of my best friends. Also, if I cool off and think about it, he fits better in the team than me. Fabri is a 5 and Duncan is a 4 who doesn't like playing as a 5. And I'm a 4. Fabri will give the Spurs a lot of things, more than me, some things I can't do: defense, rebounding, a bigger body.

some things are lost in translation.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 01:52 AM
Well even if a little is lost in translation, at the very least he must be saying that Oberto is a better defender and rebounder, right?

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Yup

E20
07-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Oberto will now be known as Fabri.

Solid D
07-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Does arbitration still await whoever wants to the determine the "final" Tau buyout figure?

milkyway21
07-19-2005, 02:00 AM
There is a rumor in San Antonio that your buyout is around 14.5 millions dollars. Is that correct?

No. That buyout is only for teams of Europe. The buyout for the NBA is differentbut there was a limit for NBA team or Spurs to buy him out. How can the Spurs possibly release Scola from Tau? Why in the first place Scola tied up with Tau when his rights belongs to the Spurs?

the Spurs "played" with you. :huh

Now I have to find another way to make my dream true.the question is: If there is, will the Spurs release Scola to other teams in the NBA?

Can you explain better the offer and the dates?

There wasn't an offer. I thought Pops went to Argentina to see Scola?

hmmnn, I think Scola now realized how fortunate Oberto is to sign with this team and have the opportunity to play alongside Duncan and his best friend Manu. Though i really like Oberto's game, suddenly I pity Scola for the lost opportunity. I don't want him to play in any team in the NBA besides the Spurs. :cry

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 02:02 AM
the question is: If there is, will the Spurs release Scola to other teams in the NBA?
the spurs won't just give up his rights, they will get something in return.

timvp
07-19-2005, 02:11 AM
Scola admitted that what I've been saying probably happened is pretty much the case. The Spurs never really offered him a contract, as their main target was Oberto. The Spurs looked at it and saw what Scola saw ... Oberto is bigger and a better rebounder and defender.

Scola simply didn't fit on this team. I've always been skeptical on how an undersized power forward would work on the Spurs in the post-David Robinson era. The last undersized power forward the Spurs had was lynched every time he took a shot. Imagine an undersized power forward who would look to score a lot more. Pop and Spurs fans would have lost it.

Oh and Whottt was right. Scola is a whiner. It's been long enough after the event that he should be cooled off now. If a player is going to pretty much demand a trade, he's not Spurs material anyways. Manu had to wait ... so Scola shouldn't think he's above waiting.

Now if I'm the Spurs, I wait for a good offer and then trade him. I don't want Scola on this team. But the Spurs can't rush and trade him for nothing. They have time on their side and could always just force Scola to play another year in Europe.

Nesterovic/Mohammed + Scola should get you a good player in return.

Egg
07-19-2005, 02:19 AM
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=1016784

Translation of the interview:

Also another article of Ole (Link (http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=1016788)) says that Scola was offered a 3-year $7M contract and they declined it. And Scola's agent said that there are four teams interested in him.

on a side note, it should say in the first answer "the spurs arent in debt with me" not "the spurs are in debt with me"

it was a translation mistake

Egg
07-19-2005, 02:22 AM
Scola admitted that what I've been saying probably happened is pretty much the case. The Spurs never really offered him a contract, as their main target was Oberto. The Spurs looked at it and saw what Scola saw ... Oberto is bigger and a better rebounder and defender.

Scola simply didn't fit on this team. I've always been skeptical on how an undersized power forward would work on the Spurs in the post-David Robinson era. The last undersized power forward the Spurs had was lynched every time he took a shot. Imagine an undersized power forward who would look to score a lot more. Pop and Spurs fans would have lost it.

Oh and Whottt was right. Scola is a whiner. It's been long enough after the event that he should be cooled off now. If a player is going to pretty much demand a trade, he's not Spurs material anyways. Manu had to wait ... so Scola shouldn't think he's above waiting.

Now if I'm the Spurs, I wait for a good offer and then trade him. I don't want Scola on this team. But the Spurs can't rush and trade him for nothing. They have time on their side and could always just force Scola to play another year in Europe.

timvp I dont think the spurs would have prefered oberto instead of scola if there werent any problems with the buyout, but thats just my opinion...

Now I find it weird that scola is demanding a trade, cause he should know that no GM is going to offer MLE type of money to give him enough money to buy out the contract, so its the same situation if his rights are traded, he'll have to wait another year...

Mr. Body
07-19-2005, 02:58 AM

Seems like modesty to me.

Flies in the face of what timvp and others are trying to do here and paint this guy as the devil. That's grossly unfair in my mind and springs from pure Spurs homerism (anyone who doesn't kowtow to whatever the Spurs FO does must be an ingrate, loser, or plain evil).

The young man wants to play in the NBA and the team that holds his rights keeps erecting walls around the chance. I hope Buford is doing what he can to find a home for him next year and I'm a bit pissed at the Front Office for playing with him, if in fact that turns out to be true.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 03:01 AM
the team that holds his rights keeps erecting walls around the chance

:wtf

What?!

It's his responsibility (and his agent's) to work out a buyout with Tau. The Spurs can't work the buyout out for him.

Mr. Body
07-19-2005, 03:05 AM
It's still word against word. One side claims the buyout was there and wasn't taken, no contract offered. The other side claims a huge buyout that sounds ridiculous, then spins around and grabs a different, older player. I find myself trusting Scola's side much more than I am the Spurs at this point. But whatever. Since the Spurs have no intention of bringing him over, much less playing him, they need to trade his rights or renounce them. I'm not liking what I see out of them at this point.

timvp
07-19-2005, 03:06 AM
Seems like modesty to me.

Flies in the face of what timvp and others are trying to do here and paint this guy as the devil. That's grossly unfair in my mind and springs from pure Spurs homerism (anyone who doesn't kowtow to whatever the Spurs FO does must be an ingrate, loser, or plain evil).

The young man wants to play in the NBA and the team that holds his rights keeps erecting walls around the chance. I hope Buford is doing what he can to find a home for him next year and I'm a bit pissed at the Front Office for playing with him, if in fact that turns out to be true.

:lol

How long have you been posting here? timvp has never been high on Scola. I've always kept my expectations modest and have always been open to the idea of trading him.

Don't get sad now because the Spurs are trading the source of your man-love.

timvp
07-19-2005, 03:08 AM
It's still word against word. One side claims the buyout was there and wasn't taken, no contract offered. The other side claims a huge buyout that sounds ridiculous, then spins around and grabs a different, older player. I find myself trusting Scola's side much more than I am the Spurs at this point. But whatever. Since the Spurs have no intention of bringing him over, much less playing him, they need to trade his rights or renounce them. I'm not liking what I see out of them at this point.

:cry

Translation:

The Second Coming isn't coming. What to do now? :depressed

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 03:08 AM
I think both sides are claiming the same thing - that Scola needed to get his buyout worked down to a reasonable amount by a certain date or the Spurs would have to move on. He didn't, so they did.

The other Argentinean article says that the Spurs made him a tenative offer of 3 years/$7M but that he couldn't pay his buyout with that, so he turned it down. How much did you want the Spurs to pay him? The whole MLE?

timvp
07-19-2005, 03:10 AM
Yeah, the Spurs wanted Scola more but offered more money to Oberto.

Makes perfect sense.

Mr. Body
07-19-2005, 03:11 AM
How long have you been posting here? timvp has never been high on Scola. I've always kept my expectations modest and have always been open to the idea of trading him.

There's a difference between "not being high" on a player and outright slander. Which is what's coming out of your calumnious maw. I mean, God forbid the guy has his future in mind and doesn't want to suck at the teat of the Spurs organization forever if they're jacking off.

That's not the point. Godspeed to him wherever he goes, who really cares. What's abyssmal is you leading the charge, along with Whottt, in exacting some kind of adolescent, abstract revenge on him for reasons unclear to the adult minds of the forum. So he wants to come to the NBA. So he gets upset when he's prevented from doing so. So you call him a whiner. So shut the fuck up. Don't be such a freaking baby and wave your little rattle of vengeance.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 03:14 AM
So he wants to come to the NBA. So he gets upset when he's prevented from doing so. So you call him a whiner. So shut the fuck up. Don't be such a freaking baby and wave your little rattle of vengeance.

What the fuck are you talking about. The Spurs aren't stopping Scola from coming to the NBA - he stopped himself by not working out his buyout sooner. His agent knew the terms of his contract. It's supposedly been trying to be worked down for 3 years. They didn't get it done. It's on Scola and his agent, not on the Spurs.

timvp
07-19-2005, 03:17 AM
There's a difference between "not being high" on a player and outright slander. Which is what's coming out of your calumnious maw. I mean, God forbid the guy has his future in mind and doesn't want to suck at the teat of the Spurs organization forever if they're jacking off.

That's not the point. Godspeed to him wherever he goes, who really cares. What's abyssmal is you leading the charge, along with Whottt, in exacting some kind of adolescent, abstract revenge on him for reasons unclear to the adult minds of the forum. So he wants to come to the NBA. So he gets upset when he's prevented from doing so. So you call him a whiner. So shut the fuck up. Don't be such a freaking baby and wave your little rattle of vengeance.

You're a hit. The Spurs wanted Oberto more and got him. Scola is a small power forward who isn't a very good rebounder or defender. The Spurs might opt not to go with Scola. Scola isn't the Second Coming.

Where did you hear all of that first? While you were erecting your Scola shrine, there were some of us saying he wasn't the next Tim Duncan.

I apologize that you have to take the posters down. Next time try listening.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 03:22 AM
And Scola's agent said that there are four teams interested in him.

Hmm.. Isn't that some kind of tampering? He's not a free agent.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2005, 03:24 AM
:lmao

Priceless. What exactly is it in your pipe?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-19-2005, 03:24 AM

You're a hit. The Spurs wanted Oberto more and got him. Scola is a small power forward who isn't a very good rebounder or defender. The Spurs might opt not to go with Scola. Scola isn't the Second Coming.

Where did you hear all of that first? While you were erecting your Scola shrine, there were some of us saying he wasn't the next Tim Duncan.

I apologize that you have to take the posters down. Next time try listening.

i've been saying this before we even signed him...i know he's from argentina and all but i dont get how he got so hyped up on this forum

whottt
07-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Smeagol...I hereby rescind my admission of partial wrongness...He does want out as I guessed. All others who called me out and accused me of being a hater.....owned.

Trade him...trade him now...this will never work...it's bad for him and bad for us.

TimVP :tu

You get no AJ bashing for the rest of the summer for coming clean on my rightness.

Although...I can't be held responsible for Solid D's newfound AJ hate-on ;)

Cant_Be_Faded
07-19-2005, 03:32 AM
I would hope that we would trade scola and some baggage for a bloody long athletic swingman, but judging by past spurs offseasons we will probably trade for another center

milkyway21
07-19-2005, 03:32 AM

What?!

It's his responsibility (and his agent's) to work out a buyout with Tau. The Spurs can't work the buyout out for him.now i get it. This article got me confused on who really made no move on how to works things out-Spurs or Scola(his agent)?

i didn't like the
there was no offer phrase there.

thanks.

milkyway21
07-19-2005, 03:57 AM
I think the Argentina Olympic Men's Basketball team will win the Laureus World Sports Awards as the World Team of the Year not only bec. they won the Gold but by beating the U.S. Team. That's a big achievement again by Manu(Olympic MVP) and Oberto/Scola.

P.S.
nice seeing Oberto in the highlights.:D

constantstate
07-19-2005, 04:07 AM
i hope he finds a way to play in the nba this year. (cause hes getting old) the first step would be the spurs shipping his rights. all this shit about him being too small and not being the second coming is stupid. the spurs have been wanting to bring him over, and spur fans have been wanting to see what he can do. (thats about it) no one's "soured" on anyone... otherwise we wouldnt be talking about buyouts in threads like this...

toosmallshoes
07-19-2005, 04:24 AM
Mr. Body... your rattle shakes with much more vengance than timvp's. If you don't care then save your venom for a greater cause. Scola is a fading dream.

xcoriate
07-19-2005, 06:21 AM
i've been saying this before we even signed him

Eh, we haven't signed him thats what everyone is bitching about :)

ceds
07-19-2005, 06:51 AM
From all accounts Scola is an NBA ready player..

Spurs have been keeping him from making millions for awhile now..they should do the right thing and trade his rights. I wonder if Scola would be a spur if they offered him the same contract Oberto got instead of the lowball 7 Mil

BigDiggyD
07-19-2005, 07:04 AM
I am having a really hard time understanding the logic behind the accusation that the Spurs are trying to keep Scola from being a success and making his millions in the NBA.

If I own the rights to a player that is as good as ESPN and some of you make him out to be then I would...

A) Try and get him on my roster
B) Try and trade him for something of value

To say the Spurs, or any other team, would just sit on him and let him rot just doesnt make any sense. If you had something valuable would you use it or sell it... or would you bury it in the back yard so no one could have it.

It seems to me the only reason the Spurs would not have signed or traded Scola would be that there is a flaw in the luster of this gem that doesnt make it as shiny as it looks to us from afar. Whether that's contract, ability, or personality is up for debate.

ceds
07-19-2005, 07:13 AM
Well there is no need to bring him in because you have an MVP and one of the best role players in history logging the minutes at his position. If a good trade comes along then im sure they would take it but it seems they are happy to just keep his rights and could possibly use him as a Horry replacement in 3 years.

I understand its a business but the guy has a right to be pissed..he thought he was going to the NBA years ago and is still stuck in Europe..

Why did they offer Oberto more money then Scola?

BigDiggyD
07-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Well there is no need to bring him in because you have an MVP and one of the best role players in history logging the minutes at his position. If a good trade comes along then im sure they would take it but it seems they are happy to just keep his rights and could possibly use him as a Horry replacement in 3 years.

I understand its a business but the guy has a right to be pissed..he thought he was going to the NBA years ago and is still stuck in Europe..

I would tend to think

1) They believe Oberto is more valuable than Scola to their team.
2) The article quoting the contract offer to Scola is innacurate.

If I am reading the article in this thread right Scola is saying the Spurs gave him a deadline to get out of his Tau deal but offered no contract. Earlier I thought I read that Scola's agent said he can get Scola out of his deal and that the Spurs said "Well then take our offer". So is there an offer or isnt there? If so, what is it? No one seems to know the real answer.

pache100
07-19-2005, 07:53 AM

First of all, I don't think the Spurs are "erecting walls". They have to play by the rules. There is a limit, set by the NBA (not the Spurs), to how much they can pay to get him across. He (and/or his agent/Tau) is not willing to accept that offer. That's the only wall I see, and it wasn't built by the Spurs.

The Spurs are not playing with anybody, as far as I can tell. He either misunderstood the process or he's playing the martyr. Or both. I respect the Spurs front office immensely, and there has to be a reason they went ahead and got Oberto and let Scola be for the moment. We don't always get to know what their reasons are, but you can bet your bippy THERE IS A REASON. TIMVP's reasoning on this sounds pretty plausible to me.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2005, 07:55 AM
We'll need to see Oberto and Scola in action in the league before we start judging the Spurs' decision. I think it is apparent that the Spurs wanted Oberto now and not Scola. Perhaps it is because they feel that Oberto will be a better fit in the NBA, a better fit for what the Spurs need right now, that they can wait on Scola and get Oberto as a 'bonus', or some combination of the former.

As for the front office, the front office is rather effective, but not touchy feely. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Spurs deal his rights this summer. It also wouldn't surprise me to see the Spurs sit on his rights and bring him in next summer or the one after that.

spvrs
07-19-2005, 07:56 AM
This is what you consider whinning? the guy is in an unfortunate situation -- he wants to play in the NBA, tau and the spurs got him by the short hairs.

I know everyone here would just suck it up and play for the spurs for 7 dollars an hour (not to mention if they owned the team pay cuban sized luxury tax) but not everyone in the world thinks the world revolves around SA (more specificially pop's nuts).

Spurs management is a smart group but arent infallible (Case in point Rasho). No one knows how Scola's game will translate, I think the guy will be sweet (starter, gamer, clutch, not an allstar)..

Spurs should 'play him or trade him'.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2005, 08:04 AM
This is what you consider whinning? the guy is in an unfortunate situation -- he wants to play in the NBA, tau and the spurs got him by the short hairs.

Which, as a Spurs fan, is great. This is why the organization devotes the resources it does to international scouting. Now they have a tradeable asset and it's one they aren't going to lose anytime soon.

I know everyone here would just suck it up and play for the spurs for 7 dollars an hour (not to mention if they owned the team pay cuban sized luxury tax) but not everyone in the world thinks the world revolves around SA (more specificially pop's nuts).

Agree. But right now the Spurs can afford to be choosy. They have a variety of tradeable assets and cap exceptions to exploit. If they do it right, this team will be a serious contender for the next 5 years or so and very competitive for the next decade.

Spurs management is a smart group but arent infallible (Case in point Rasho).

For Rasho's skill level, he is compensated appropriately. I am not a Radoslav fan in the least, but it's hard to consider him a mistake given what passes for a starting center in today's NBA.

No one knows how Scola's game will translate, I think the guy will be sweet (starter, gamer, clutch, not an allstar)..

Sure, but the guys who brought you Manu and Tony and Beno opted to bring in Oberto first. Perhaps they did it simply so that they will eventually have both Oberto and Scola together, but maybe they don't think that Scola will be as effective...I mean, it's a real possibility that you can't dismiss out of hand.

Spurs should 'play him or trade him'.[/QUOTE]

spvrs
07-19-2005, 08:11 AM
I think the spurs made the correct move, I agree with your points(minus rasho). But calling him a 'whinner' is total bullshyt.

there really isn't a place for him on the roster... trade him. don't stash him in europe becasuse you can. a guy has a right to be a little less than ... 'there is no 'I' in team... I just thank god I can play basketball'

boutons
07-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Spurs, nor any other team the Spurs would trade with, can do nothing now until Luis' buyout is resolved and paid. The first move, the responsibility is on Luis, not on the Spurs.

spur219
07-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Scola can become a 15 and 7 guy in the NBA.

smeagol
07-19-2005, 08:31 AM
Why is Scola a whiner?

He wants to play in the NBA and he realized that he does not fit in the Spurs system as it is (moreso with Oberto). IS that why you say he is whinning?

I read the article in Spanish and he does not whine at all. He says he is happy for the Spurs because they got a great player in Oberto. Actually he humbles up saying that Oberto can offer more than him to the Spurs.

He does not blame the Spurs for anything. He even says he is a fan of the Spurs.

So again, timvp, where's the whinning?

The only thing that might me construed as whinning is the fact he would like to be traded. This guy's dream is to play in the NBA and he does not see this happening with the Spurs anytime soon. I makes sense that he asks to be traded.

CosmicCowboy
07-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Isn't Scola between 6'9" and 6'10"? I'm pretty sure I have read both. If so, that not undersized for a power forward. At the same time, it should have come as no surprise to Scola that on the Spurs he would be playing behind the best power forward in the world.

No question that Scola wants to play in the NBA and wants it badly. In one interview he just sent a message to both Tau and the Spurs. To Tau, he just told them he wasn't gonna be happy playing for them this year. To the Spurs, he just sent the message that he understood their situation and would like them to explore a deal so he could go to a team with cap room that wanted him. OK... he sent his message.

Spurs had to have a decision so they could make a move before the 29th. Scola couldn't get a deal done.

Contractually Scola is screwed though. Tau is notorious about being tough on buyouts and have already lost 2 major players from last year. They don't want to lose any more. The Spurs can let him ride for another year and see how their existing frontcourt works out and then make a decision next summer...

NBA rules as I understand it really limit the Spurs on getting value for Scola. It's not like they can sign him for whatever he wants and needs to get out of his buyout and then trade him...they only have the rest of their MLE and can't offer more.

Scola would have probably been a top 10-15 draft pick if he had been in this years draft. The only possible deal that I could see working for the Spurs would be for them to trade Scola's rights to a team with cap space that wants Scola more than the first round pick they drafted and haven't signed yet. As I understand it that is the only way the Spurs could get reasonable value. Any CBA wizards out there are welcome to correcty me if I am wrong on this.

bigzak25
07-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Very dissapointing. I want Scola as a Spur. I can wait though. Hopefully he can too. Once Rasho and Nazr are unloaded, and Horry gets another year older? There will be ample room for him. Work it out Pop. :smokin

Rick Von Braun
07-19-2005, 09:08 AM

What?!

It's his responsibility (and his agent's) to work out a buyout with Tau. The Spurs can't work the buyout out for him. It is a chicken or the egg problem. In reality, Tau, his agent AND the Spurs have to work it out. Because most of the buyout comes from Scola's salary, Scola's agent cannot negotiate the size of the buyout if he doesn't have a Spurs' offer on the table. An analogy would be trying to buy a house, and even negotiate the final price with the seller without checking if you qualify for a mortgage. You should check what line of credit you would have access to use before you even hunt for a house.

benjirh
07-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Hmm.. Isn't that some kind of tampering? He's not a free agent.

Not if those 4 teams showed interest by inquiring about him through trades.

Mr. Body
07-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Rattle of vengeance:

There are basically two camps here. Those who set out to belittle and make fun of Scola for his desires to play for the Spurs or elsewhere in the NBA. And those who sympathize with him and feel, regardless of whether he or his agent is correct about the buyout, that it must suck to be prevented from doing what you want to in those situations. The people in the latter camp are mystified by all the talk of whining and petty invective.

benjirh
07-19-2005, 09:16 AM
It is too bad that people think that was whining. He never blamed SA for anything in the part that was posted at least. If the Spurs feel that they are not able to pay the needed buyout, then why shouldn't he want to be traded to another team that might pay that buyout. He is not under contract with the spurs. He is not complaining for more PT. This is just him desiring to play in the NBA. And he is right, SA is probably not the best place for him to put up major mins and stats. Going to Atlanta, NO, or even Toronto would give him more PT.

benjirh
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Rattle of vengeance:

There are basically two camps here. Those who set out to belittle and make fun of Scola for his desires to play for the Spurs or elsewhere in the NBA. And those who sympathize with him and feel, regardless of whether he or his agent is correct about the buyout, that it must suck to be prevented from doing what you want to in those situations. The people in the latter camp are mystified by all the talk of whining and petty invective.

Three camps. The third thinks the other two are overstating their side and not looking at the whole picture.

Mr. Body
07-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Do I hear four camps? Four?

MannyIsGod
07-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Four Camps it is. There is the camp that really doesn't care.

benjirh
07-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Four Camps it is. There is the camp that really doesn't care.

Actually can I switch, I like Manny's better.

xcoriate
07-19-2005, 09:42 AM
that it must suck to be prevented from doing what you want to in those situations.

Then do you sympathise with me, I would love to be in Scolas position. He is not hard done by, his situation is unfortunate but if the Spurs feel he is not an NBA ready player yet then so be it.

As for the Spurs "lowballing" him Manu got a similar deal played it out and is reaping the rewards. You take what offers come your way to enter the league there are a thousand players like Scola who dont have the opportunity he does.

nkdlunch
07-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Yeah, the Spurs wanted Scola more but offered more money to Oberto.

Makes perfect sense.

But they would have spent more money in the end for Scola than for Oberto right?

Clear as mud :)

I think it's just a complicated situation for Scola. Not really the fault of one side or the other. It looks like Spurs got scared away from his current contract's complications, and Tau didn't really negotiate w/anybody yet.

Hopefully a 2nd interested NBA team will step up. But it would be a little risky for them. Scola's agents did mention of 4 NBA teams being interested.

5ToolMan
07-19-2005, 09:50 AM

Give it a break! Scola's agent did not accomplish the buyout in the time given, and the Spurs correctly moved to safer ground. This is in no way on the Spurs. Neither is it the Spurs obligation to release Scola's rights for nothing, just because Scola could not accomplish the buyout of the contract he signed.

The Spurs' rights to Scola has tremendous potential value... IF ... he can complete the buyout. If he cannot, it is a moot point. And who knows, staying another year overseas, after a potential European MVP or Championship, his value soars even more. Why would the Spurs just release him when they could get tremendous value at a later date?

Scola playing in the NBA is all on Scola and his agent's ability to negotiate a buyout at a price to allow him to be able to accept market value from the Spurs or another NBA team that may want him at such price. Once Scola does that, the Spurs will bring him in or deal his rights at their increased value.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 10:11 AM
It is a chicken or the egg problem. In reality, Tau, his agent AND the Spurs have to work it out. Because most of the buyout comes from Scola's salary, Scola's agent cannot negotiate the size of the buyout if he doesn't have a Spurs' offer on the table. An analogy would be trying to buy a house, and even negotiate the final price with the seller without checking if you qualify for a mortgage. You should check what line of credit you would have access to use before you even hunt for a house.

Believe me, Scola's agent has an idea about how much the Spurs are willing to pay him. For three years they have been trying to reduce the buyout and didn't get it done. I don't know what people wanted the Spurs to do. Pay him the full MLE over 3 years so that he could pay the buyout?

Isn't Scola between 6'9" and 6'10"?

No. He's listed at 6'9 and reportedly a little under 6'8 with short arms for his height. That's why most people say that he's undersized.

You keep repeating that. Scola and his agent should have been able to get the buyout reduced to a reasonable level - they haven't. The Spurs aren't preventing him from anything - his buyout is.

Oh and what about the camp you are in .. the one who thinks that if someone refers to Scola as a whiner or questions anything about him, then they are "slandering" him and making him out to be the "devil" :rolleyes

spurster
07-19-2005, 10:19 AM

No. That buyout is only for teams of Europe. The buyout for the NBA is different.

How much?

I'm not saying it. I will only say that nobody guessed it right.
Very informative.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Rattle of vengeance:

There's also my camp, which is that I'm sure Scola is a great player but given the circumstances the Spurs opted to get another international player they like under contract now, a move facilitated by the fact that the Spurs own Scola's NBA rights.

Here's hoping both Oberto and Scola tear up the NBA and that they do it wearing the Silver & Black.

spvrs
07-19-2005, 10:22 AM
say it was a good move for the spurs... say you like oberto better... why does Scola have to be called a whiner?

or better question: where at any point did he whine?

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 10:23 AM
why does Scola have to be called a whiner?

Many people have referred to him as a whiner long before this happened -- noting that he complained to the press when RC asked him to work on his rebounding/defense.

So get over it.

nkdlunch
07-19-2005, 10:24 AM
whoever called Scola a whiner is an idiot. If you read carefully you see he says he's a Spur fan and he's happy for Oberto. He is very honest and of course dissapointed 'cause his dream is to play in the NBA. I hope he makes it somehow, he would be more successful than Oberto.

spvrs
07-19-2005, 10:25 AM
what am I not over? the guy didn't whine in this case.

Maybe he should be called a pvssy if he's 'thank you sir may I have another...'

5ToolMan
07-19-2005, 10:48 AM
It is a chicken or the egg problem. In reality, Tau, his agent AND the Spurs have to work it out. Because most of the buyout comes from Scola's salary, Scola's agent cannot negotiate the size of the buyout if he doesn't have a Spurs' offer on the table. An analogy would be trying to buy a house, and even negotiate the final price with the seller without checking if you qualify for a mortgage. You should check what line of credit you would have access to use before you even hunt for a house.

Your analagy has egg on your face. I negotiate and agree on the purchase price of homes all the time, before I know the exact terms of any potential financing, or even if I will take title, flip the deals to another investor, or walk with a "out" always in place within the agreement.

Scola's agent could and should negotiate the POTENTIAL buyout before he negotiates a POTENTIAL contract with the Spurs. In fact, he should have negotiated a much better "NBA" buyout before he had Scola sign the existing contract in the first place, since Scola has always stated a desire to play in the NBA. Again, he certainly should have got the POTENTIAL agreement in place since the day Scola was drafted by the Spurs. But that is a moot point, as failure to do so is all on the agent, who let Scola's value to Tau soar without having an iron clad "out" in place.

Today, if Scola wants to play in the NBA, it is still his agent's duty to negotiate a POTENTIAL buyout at a known price. This would allow the Spurs to evaluate the total cost of bringing him over and/or allow the flipping his rights to another team at a value enhanced by known parameters.

Under the present conditions, the Spurs chose not to spend energy trying to bring Scola over at the price they feel it would be too high with the current buyout in place. And without known parameters, trading his rights will not give the Spurs fair value even if they wanted to comply with Scola's desire to try to hook on with another NBA team. Therefore, this is all on Scola and his agent to get his potential buyout complete. If not ... the Spurs wait.

manubili
07-19-2005, 10:49 AM
What a mess!

This is what I think is going on (but not so sure):

Oberto is better than Scola, I know it, the argentine coach knew it, and the spurs management know it. Scola is great, and younger. He has time to improve and become better at defending, rebounds, etc.

Tau doesn't want him to go, and that's why he couldn't get his buyout solved. He wasn't Spurs first choice, and that's how he got stucked in the mud.

I don't think Spurs will trade his rights, though I wish they did. They will wait for a whole season and see how Oberto adapts to the NBA. If Oberto just doesn't get it, spurs will have the Scola option still arround.

I'm Sorry for Scola, but he signed that awful contract. As far as I can see, he isn't winning, he undestood that he wasn't the better option, and now is dealing with it.

Spursfans, be happy. The Oberto - Manu duo will rock when TD is resting.

GrandeDavid
07-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Guys, I'm not too concerned about all this because I'm still in that "rah rah the Spurs just won the championship" mood. What's more, Tim and Manu will get to rest their legs this summer and should have terrific upcoming seasons. We've got Big Fucking Shot Rob coming back. We've got one of the deepest benches in the league even cosidering Devin's questionable back and especially with the addition of Fabri Oberto. Things are good. Luis Scola, regrettably (for him), will not be a Spur next season. Still, he will continue to get paid in full in Spain and somehow, someway, someday will be a player in the NBA.

GoSpurs21
07-19-2005, 11:13 AM

That's not the point. Godspeed to him wherever he goes, who really cares. What's abyssmal is you leading the charge, along with Whottt, in exacting some kind of adolescent, abstract revenge on him for reasons unclear to the adult minds of the forum. So he wants to come to the NBA. So he gets upset when he's prevented from doing so. So you call him a whiner. So shut the fuck up. Don't be such a freaking baby and wave your little rattle of vengeance.what is childish is someone who doesnt take responsibility for their own actions. now please be quiet while the grown ups are talking

constantstate
07-19-2005, 11:23 AM
if you're going to say he's short and undersized and is no lock to make any kind of impact in the nba - than don't say he has great trade value.

if you're going to say the spurs soured on him and wanted oberto all along - than ignore all the articles writen about how the spurs wanted him to get that buyout and come over this year.

if you're going to say an undersized european who's considered by most, the best power forward in europe can't make it here... than dont say an undersized european center can.

does that cover all the arguments?

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Your breakdowns are ridiculous.

if you're going to say he's short and undersized and is no lock to make any kind of impact in the nba - than don't say he has great trade value.

If he's a tad short and undersized at power forward, that's not really why he's no lock to make an impact in the NBA. Nobody is a lock, everyone can bust. And he has very good trade value right now because he has a solid offensive game and has been touted as the best power forward in Europe.

if you're going to say the spurs soured on him and wanted oberto all along - than ignore all the articles writen about how the spurs wanted him to get that buyout and come over this year.

The Spurs have long questioned his defense and rebounding ability. It's not a matter of souring on him; it's a matter of finding a good fit for the team at a reasonable price. Would the Spurs have brought him over at their price and seen what he could do? Of course.

if you're going to say an undersized european who's considered by most, the best power forward in europe can't make it here... than dont say an undersized european center can.

Again it's about team needs. With Tim Duncan and Horry at PF, there's not really much place for Scola right now. Sure, if he was willing and able to come on the cheap and play spot minutes, then that would be fine. Again, no one is saying that Oberto could flourish here either. Just that he addresses a need for the Spurs - defense and rebounding upfront.

constantstate
07-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Your breakdowns are ridiculous.
If he's a tad short and undersized at power forward, that's not really why he's no lock to make an impact in the NBA. Nobody is a lock, everyone can bust. And he has very good trade value right now because he has a solid offensive game and has been touted as the best power forward in Europe.

well this might be what you say, but alot of people are claiming that because he's undersized, all of a sudden he's no good, the scouts soured on him yadda yadda... its in threads like this one. and if the scouts soured on him, and he's undersized etc... why are we still talking about buyouts?

Again it's about team needs. With Tim Duncan and Horry at PF, there's not really much place for Scola right now. Sure, if he was willing and able to come on the cheap and play spot minutes, then that would be fine. Again, no one is saying that Oberto could flourish here either. Just that he addresses a need for the Spurs - defense and rebounding upfront.
i like oberto, but all i'm saying is that he's undersized and from europe too. as soon as we got him, the same people bashing scola... were the first to remind everyone that he's considered a top 10 player in europe...

which... "doesnt mean jack" to alot of people.

SpursChampsIII
07-19-2005, 12:03 PM
It is obviously more about money than his desire to play in the NBA. Currently, he is in a position to get only one of those two desires...sounds like he made his choice.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Damn, this thread is hilarious.

Some people are reacting like someone kicked their damn dog.

Look, it is up to Scola and his agent to negotiate with Tau. They couldn't get it done, plain and simple. That is not the fault of the Spurs.

And truth be known, his agent wasn't trying that hard, hoping to get more money (well, the whole MLE anyway) out of the Spurs by playing the whole "whoa is us, we gotta come up with $$ for a buyout" card, to which the Spurs promptly (and appropriately said "fine, we'll take Oberto for less."

Further, some of you act like the guy is the friggin' second coming, some sort of genetic cross-breed between Michael Jordan and Kareem.

Look, the guy is a hustling, undersized PF who made the arrogant Team USA kiddies (namely Jermaine O'Neal) look like chumps. That doesn't mean he's ready to start the All-Star game next year.

Good lord, the guy said *in his own words* that Oberto played better defense and did better on the glass. Think about that, try to make some sense of it (a real challenge for some of you), and STFU.

Why should we overpay this guy when he freely admits someone we signed for half of his asking price is better at the two things we need out of our backup bigs - rebounding and defense?

It doesn't make any sense. Some of you appear to have gotten caught up in the hype machine. That's understandable, but you need to realize when the facts of the situation are telling another tale altogether.

Finally, think about this - Manu took the LLE to come here. Do you really think Scola is double what Manu was when he came in, when he hasn't proven it going up against NBA caliber competition for an entire season? THINK.

As for the Spurs "holding him back", that is so comical. Do you really think the Spurs WANT to keep from getting better? Do you think that's something that RC really thinks about every day?

I mean some of you make it out like RC drives to work every morning thinking how he can screw Scola and keep the team from getting better. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Scola and his agent tried to play the mo' money game with the Spurs front office, and lost. It doesn't mean the Spurs suck. It doesn't mean they're not trying to get better. It doesn't mean they're trying to screw Scola.

The only two people responsible for Scola's situation are Luis Scola and his agent.

Deal with it.

CosmicCowboy
07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
OK...you Jumior GM's that want to trade Scola's rights...heres your list of first round picks. He would need to go to a team that needed an NBA ready power forward and Spurs would probably want a young small forward with a lot of upside. The team Spurs were trading with would also need to have enough cap space to pay Scola enough so that he could handle the buyout this summer.

Get you calculators out and give me a scenario...

First Round
# Team Player Pos Ht Wt B-day College
1 Mil Andrew Bogut .......... C 7-0 245 11/28/84 Utah'07
2 Atl Marvin Williams ....... F 6-9 230 6/19/86 North Carolina'08
3 Uta Deron Williams ........ G 6-3 210 6/26/84 Illinois'06
4 NO Chris Paul ............ G 6-0 175 5/6/85 Wake Forest'07
5 Cha Raymond Felton ........ G 6-1 198 6/26/84 North Carolina'06
6 Por Martell Webster ....... G-F 6-7 210 12/4/86 Seattle Prep HS
7 Tor Charlie Villanueva .... F 6-11 240 8/24/84 Connecticut'07
8 NY Channing Frye ......... C 6-11 248 5/17/83 Arizona'05
9 GS Ike Diogu ............. F 6-8 250 9/11/83 Arizona State'06
10 LAL Andrew Bynum .......... C 7-0 285 10/27/87 St Joseph HS
11 Orl Fran Vazquez .......... F-C 6-10 238 5/1/83 Spain
12 LAC Yaroslav Korolev ...... F 6-9 203 5/7/87 Russia
13 Cha Sean May .............. F 6-9 266 4/4/84 North Carolina'06
14 Min Rashad McCants ........ G 6-4 207 11/25/84 North Carolina'06
15 NJ Antoine Wright ........ G-F 6-7 210 2/6/84 Texas A&M'06
16 Tor Joey Graham ........... F 6-7 225 6/11/82 Oklahoma State'05
17 Ind Danny Granger ......... F 6-8 225 4/20/83 New Mexico'05
18 Bos Gerald Green .......... F 6-8 200 1/26/86 Gulf Shores Academy
19 Mem Hakim Warrick ......... F 6-9 219 7/8/82 Syracuse'05
20 Den Julius Hodge .......... G 6-7 210 11/18/83 NC State'05
21 aNY Nate Robinson ......... G 5-9 180 5/31/84 Washington'06
22 bPor Jarrett Jack .......... G 6-3 202 10/28/83 Georgia Tech'06
23 Sac Francisco Garcia ...... F-G 6-7 195 12/31/81 Louisville'06
24 Hou Luther Head ........... G 6-3 185 11/26/82 Illinois'05
25 Sea Johan Petro ........... C 7-0 247 1/27/86 France
26 Det Jason Maxiell ......... F 6-7 260 2/18/83 Cincinnati'05
27 bDen Linas Kleiza .......... F 6-8 245 1/3/85 Missouri'07
28 SA Ian Mahinmi ........... F 6-10 230 11/5/86 France
29 Mia Wayne Simien .......... F 6-9 255 3/9/83 Kansas'05
30 NY David Lee ............. F 6-9 249 4/29/83 Florida'05

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Everybody can say everything, but remember, when Scola will play in the Spurs, in his First year, remember all your words

Definitively Scola can play in the Spurs and also he can be the big Man who helps to TD in the clutch and in case TD loses some agmes, the team is going to need a player as Scola
I do not have doubts that San Antonio without Duncan never never will be the same, but either have doubts that with Oberto and Scola in the team we are not going to lose when for some reason we did not prune to count on Tim in the Team.

With Oberto and Scola and without Tim, is able to arrive far in playoffs and if in Playoff Tim is gotten to lose a pair of games, with them 2 in the team we could continue winning and not like this year that when Tim could not play many games we lost

mookie2001
07-19-2005, 12:51 PM
tell scola to go see his mother

benjirh
07-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I love it how NO ONE on this board has any clue why it didn't work out. So you can't say that none of it was the spurs fault and you cant say that none of it is scola's fault. Point is, he is not coming. I am curios about whether there is a time limit on "rights". Do the Spurs have the rights to Scola forever or is there a time limit. If there isn't a time limit then that is crap for Scola and for every other player out there who is drafted and "kept" overseas.

vanvannen
07-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Scola and his agent tried to play the mo' money game with the Spurs front office, and lost. It doesn't mean the Spurs suck. It doesn't mean they're not trying to get better. It doesn't mean they're trying to screw Scola.The only two people responsible for Scola's situation are Luis Scola and his agent.
Deal with it.

Sorry Aggie, I disagree. Scola was not trying to play any game with the Spurs. The guy honestly wants to prove himself in the NBA. That doesn't mean he is going to make no money at all to come. He is a professional athete, it's not like he owns a supermarket or something. He needs to get paid. This is not about "feeding the family" crap. The deal could not be made because of the extremely high buyout with Tau.
Believe me, there was nothing he desired more than coming to the Spurs. For any international player, that is the ultimate goal. Prove yourself you are worthy of the NBA.

benjirh
07-19-2005, 12:54 PM
tell scola to go see his mother

Why? Are you saying he is being a baby? Get a clue.

benjirh
07-19-2005, 12:56 PM
I love it how NO ONE on this board has any clue why it didn't work out. So you can't say that none of it was the spurs fault and you cant say that none of it is scola's fault. Point is, he is not coming. I am curios about whether there is a time limit on "rights". Do the Spurs have the rights to Scola forever or is there a time limit. If there isn't a time limit then that is crap for Scola and for every other player out there who is drafted and "kept" overseas.

Okay so I am quoting my own quote, but as I read it, it didn't come out the way I intended it. What I meant was that no one knows all the details behind the situation. So we are unable to say why it didn't work out. So we are all just argue rumors and possibilities.

constantstate
07-19-2005, 12:56 PM
he can be packaged along with rasho or nazr for all i care? (for that small forward) this offseason, scola was going to be gravy... but all of a sudden when it looked like we might not get him... he's an undersized euro who wont amount to much. (thats just funny to me)

everyone throws out buzz phrases like "second coming" too. if someone says people call him the best euro power forward... he's not the second coming... theres got to be an in between?

how about closet gms with alot of time on their hands including lists... mention a few small forwards we non gms can choose from? cause at this point the guy is 25, going on 26... might as well strike while the iron is semi hot.

mookie2001
07-19-2005, 01:02 PM
what does he want
we own his rights
we havent signed him or traded him
he's making millions over yonder, hes been offered millions over yonder

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 01:02 PM
San Antonio sabe elegir argentinos

Scola le reconoció a Olé que no quedó enojado porque los Spurs prefirieron a Oberto. Y dijo: "Fabri les dará más cosas que yo".

Fue un golpe durísimo. Hace años que Luis Scola soñaba con la NBA pero ve cómo, año a año, la chance se le esfuma entre los dedos por esa bendita cláusula de rescisión, único motivo por el cual el MVP de la Liga ACB, la más exigente al margen de la estadounidense, no está donde se concentra la mayor cantidad de estrellas. El porteño, igual, aseguró no estar enojado con los Spurs o el Tau. "Al contrario, estoy contento por Fabri (NdeR: Oberto, elegido en su lugar), por Manu, que quería a alguno de los dos en el equipo, por la gran cantidad de hinchas de los Spurs que hay en el país y ahora tendrán a un gran jugador en el equipo…", le contó a Olé desde su casa, ubicada en Martín Coronado.

—Pero San Antonio coqueteó con vos. ¿No estás decepcionado con esta definición?

Siempre digo que a Jordan lo quieren todos los técnicos del mundo y al resto algunos sí, otros no. Los Spurs no tenían que prometerme nada, esto es un negocio. Cada uno hace lo que le conviene. Ellos no tienen una deuda conmigo. No se pudo dar por reglas, contratos, plazos… Y ya está. Nada más.

—No parecés enojado

Estoy contento por Fabri, que es uno de mis mejores amigos. Además, si lo pienso en frío, él encaja en el equipo mejor que yo. Fabri es un cinco y Duncan, un cuatro al que no le gusta jugar de cinco. Y yo soy un cuatro. Fabri les dará muchas cosas al equipo, más que yo, algunas que yo no puedo: defensa, rebotes, lo físico... Tiene más esas características y yo, como hincha de los Spurs, veo lo positivo. Además, como el protagonismo y los minutos de Rasho Nesterovic han bajado, tiene una gran oportunidad. Esa y la de ganar un anillo. Me alegra por él, yo sólo perdí una oportunidad

—Mejoraste mucho en esos aspectos que remarcás. ¿En serio creés que Oberto encaja mejor? Mirá que Horry, que es un cuatro, era el que mejor funcionaba con Duncan.

(Piensa) No lo sé, yo lo veo de esa manera...

—¿Recibiste una oferta antes?

No es que había una oferta. El tema fueron los plazos, las reglas. Pero no quiero hablar de eso públicamente. Sólo digo que se pinchó una chance, que hay 29 equipos más y que, de lo contrario, estoy muy bien en el Tau.

—Hay 29 equipos más pero los Spurs tienen tus derechos. ¿Pediste o vas a pedir que traspasen tus derechos?

Sí, porque es la única opción. Ellos los tienen pero no cuentan conmigo para el plantel. Hoy estoy descartado ahí, consumieron toda la plata y los puestos están cubiertos. Imagino que buscarán las soluciones para no desperdiciarme completamente.

—Se habla en San Antonio de que tu cláusula de salida llega a los 14.5 millones de dólares. ¿Esa cifra es correcta?

No es así. Esa cantidad es sólo si me quiero ir a un equipo de Europa y está bien clarita. Para la NBA es otra, diferente.

—¿Cuál?

No la voy a decir, sólo aclaro que casi nadie la acierta[/U].

—Tau no te quiere dejar ir pero corre el riesgo de que vos vuelvas de mala gana al club. ¿O no es así?

Yo aclaré siempre que mi sueño era la NBA, pero en Tau no quieren que me vaya. Hasta quieren alargar el contrato. En Tau he pasado cinco años maravillosos, es el club más importante en el que jugué y siempre jugaría ahí.

—¿Te bancás quedarte un año más en España?

Ya dije que quiero ir a la NBA este año. Lo saben.

—¿Cómo la ves?

Es todo muy reciente, hace días que pasó todo. Hay que ser paciente. Cada uno hará sus movimientos e imagino que ellos tendrán algún plan conmigo.

—¿Tan difícil es poder llevarse a Scola, como ahora lo hizo ver San Antonio?

No es tan complejo. Pero todavía no tengo ofertas en concreto. Debo esperar. Perdí otra chance pero todavía tengo fe.

De Luis, con calma

Sin enojo por lo que pasó con los Spurs
Así son las reglas de este negocio y yo las acepto. En verdad, no tengo motivos para estar enojado con los Spurs ni con el Tau".

El sueño máximo, en Estados Unidos
Mi sueño aún sigue siendo llegar a jugar en la NBA. Por suerte, cumplí varios con la Selección y el Tau. Por ahora me falta uno".

Cómo sigue su chance en la NBA

Parecía que estaba todo listo. San Antonio tenía sus derechos tras elegirlo en el draft 2002 y en la franquicia estaban convencidos de que era el jugador que necesitaban. RC Buford y Gregg Popovich se habían puesto de acuerdo: Scola era el elegido. Pero, además del análisis deportivo, estaba el financiero, quizá más importante. Los Spurs hicieron cuentas tras la renovación de Horry (costó más dinero del esperado) y enviaron una oferta un poco menor a 7.000.000 de dólares por tres años. Para Luis y su gente no resultaba del todo convincente, ya que de ese dinero debían deducir el pago de la cláusula (unos 3.200.000) y los impuestos (cercanos al 40%). Igual, mantuvieron la esperanza, que se esfumó por la complejidad contractual (no especifica una salida en caso de elección en segunda ronda, tal como pasó, algo que sí ocurre en primera) y la inflexibilidad del Tau (lo considera el jugador clave). San Antonio no quiso esperar el fin de la novela y tomó la segunda opción (Oberto) antes de que también se le escapara.

Ahora Luis la tiene más difícil. Necesita que los Spurs traspasen sus derechos a otra franquicia. Sus agentes ya lo pidieron. Pero no es fácil que suceda. El campeón puede no hacerlo si piensa sumarlo en el futuro. Si da el sí, querrá algo importante a cambio y no es sencillo que se lo den porque los demás equipos dudan sobre si Luis se liberará de Tau. Scola no puede pagar la cláusula y luego negociar. Es al revés. Primero debe acercar una oferta para que Tau haga efectiva la cláusula NBA (3.2 millones de dólares) y no la de Europa (14.5). Sus agentes confían en una salida, incluso hablan de cuatro equipos interesados, pero ahora depende aún más de la buena voluntad de Spurs y de Tau, y de que un tercer equipo (perteneciente a la NBA) decida apostar fuerte. Esto significa, por caso, dar un jugador y encima ofrecerle un contrato al argentino de al menos 7.5 millones. No es sencillo, habrá que esperar. Y rezar también.

mookie2001
07-19-2005, 01:04 PM
que lastima

SpursChampsIII
07-19-2005, 01:07 PM
San Antonio sabe elegir argentinos

Scola le reconoció a Olé que no quedó enojado porque los Spurs prefirieron a Oberto. Y dijo: "Fabri les dará más cosas que yo".

Fue un golpe durísimo. Hace años que Luis Scola soñaba con la NBA pero ve cómo, año a año, la chance se le esfuma entre los dedos por esa bendita cláusula de rescisión, único motivo por el cual el MVP de la Liga ACB, la más exigente al margen de la estadounidense, no está donde se concentra la mayor cantidad de estrellas. El porteño, igual, aseguró no estar enojado con los Spurs o el Tau. "Al contrario, estoy contento por Fabri (NdeR: Oberto, elegido en su lugar), por Manu, que quería a alguno de los dos en el equipo, por la gran cantidad de hinchas de los Spurs que hay en el país y ahora tendrán a un gran jugador en el equipo…", le contó a Olé desde su casa, ubicada en Martín Coronado.

—Pero San Antonio coqueteó con vos. ¿No estás decepcionado con esta definición?

Siempre digo que a Jordan lo quieren todos los técnicos del mundo y al resto algunos sí, otros no. Los Spurs no tenían que prometerme nada, esto es un negocio. Cada uno hace lo que le conviene. Ellos no tienen una deuda conmigo. No se pudo dar por reglas, contratos, plazos… Y ya está. Nada más.

—No parecés enojado

Estoy contento por Fabri, que es uno de mis mejores amigos. Además, si lo pienso en frío, él encaja en el equipo mejor que yo. Fabri es un cinco y Duncan, un cuatro al que no le gusta jugar de cinco. Y yo soy un cuatro. Fabri les dará muchas cosas al equipo, más que yo, algunas que yo no puedo: defensa, rebotes, lo físico... Tiene más esas características y yo, como hincha de los Spurs, veo lo positivo. Además, como el protagonismo y los minutos de Rasho Nesterovic han bajado, tiene una gran oportunidad. Esa y la de ganar un anillo. Me alegra por él, yo sólo perdí una oportunidad

—Mejoraste mucho en esos aspectos que remarcás. ¿En serio creés que Oberto encaja mejor? Mirá que Horry, que es un cuatro, era el que mejor funcionaba con Duncan.

(Piensa) No lo sé, yo lo veo de esa manera...

—¿Recibiste una oferta antes?

No es que había una oferta. El tema fueron los plazos, las reglas. Pero no quiero hablar de eso públicamente. Sólo digo que se pinchó una chance, que hay 29 equipos más y que, de lo contrario, estoy muy bien en el Tau.

—Hay 29 equipos más pero los Spurs tienen tus derechos. ¿Pediste o vas a pedir que traspasen tus derechos?

Sí, porque es la única opción. Ellos los tienen pero no cuentan conmigo para el plantel. Hoy estoy descartado ahí, consumieron toda la plata y los puestos están cubiertos. Imagino que buscarán las soluciones para no desperdiciarme completamente.

—Se habla en San Antonio de que tu cláusula de salida llega a los 14.5 millones de dólares. ¿Esa cifra es correcta?

No es así. Esa cantidad es sólo si me quiero ir a un equipo de Europa y está bien clarita. Para la NBA es otra, diferente.

—¿Cuál?

No la voy a decir, sólo aclaro que casi nadie la acierta[/U].

—Tau no te quiere dejar ir pero corre el riesgo de que vos vuelvas de mala gana al club. ¿O no es así?

Yo aclaré siempre que mi sueño era la NBA, pero en Tau no quieren que me vaya. Hasta quieren alargar el contrato. En Tau he pasado cinco años maravillosos, es el club más importante en el que jugué y siempre jugaría ahí.

—¿Te bancás quedarte un año más en España?

Ya dije que quiero ir a la NBA este año. Lo saben.

—¿Cómo la ves?

Es todo muy reciente, hace días que pasó todo. Hay que ser paciente. Cada uno hará sus movimientos e imagino que ellos tendrán algún plan conmigo.

—¿Tan difícil es poder llevarse a Scola, como ahora lo hizo ver San Antonio?

No es tan complejo. Pero todavía no tengo ofertas en concreto. Debo esperar. Perdí otra chance pero todavía tengo fe.

De Luis, con calma

Sin enojo por lo que pasó con los Spurs
Así son las reglas de este negocio y yo las acepto. En verdad, no tengo motivos para estar enojado con los Spurs ni con el Tau".

El sueño máximo, en Estados Unidos
Mi sueño aún sigue siendo llegar a jugar en la NBA. Por suerte, cumplí varios con la Selección y el Tau. Por ahora me falta uno".

Cómo sigue su chance en la NBA

Parecía que estaba todo listo. San Antonio tenía sus derechos tras elegirlo en el draft 2002 y en la franquicia estaban convencidos de que era el jugador que necesitaban. RC Buford y Gregg Popovich se habían puesto de acuerdo: Scola era el elegido. Pero, además del análisis deportivo, estaba el financiero, quizá más importante. Los Spurs hicieron cuentas tras la renovación de Horry (costó más dinero del esperado) y enviaron una oferta un poco menor a 7.000.000 de dólares por tres años. Para Luis y su gente no resultaba del todo convincente, ya que de ese dinero debían deducir el pago de la cláusula (unos 3.200.000) y los impuestos (cercanos al 40%). Igual, mantuvieron la esperanza, que se esfumó por la complejidad contractual (no especifica una salida en caso de elección en segunda ronda, tal como pasó, algo que sí ocurre en primera) y la inflexibilidad del Tau (lo considera el jugador clave). San Antonio no quiso esperar el fin de la novela y tomó la segunda opción (Oberto) antes de que también se le escapara.

Ahora Luis la tiene más difícil. Necesita que los Spurs traspasen sus derechos a otra franquicia. Sus agentes ya lo pidieron. Pero no es fácil que suceda. El campeón puede no hacerlo si piensa sumarlo en el futuro. Si da el sí, querrá algo importante a cambio y no es sencillo que se lo den porque los demás equipos dudan sobre si Luis se liberará de Tau. Scola no puede pagar la cláusula y luego negociar. Es al revés. Primero debe acercar una oferta para que Tau haga efectiva la cláusula NBA (3.2 millones de dólares) y no la de Europa (14.5). Sus agentes confían en una salida, incluso hablan de cuatro equipos interesados, pero ahora depende aún más de la buena voluntad de Spurs y de Tau, y de que un tercer equipo (perteneciente a la NBA) decida apostar fuerte. Esto significa, por caso, dar un jugador y encima ofrecerle un contrato al argentino de al menos 7.5 millones. No es sencillo, habrá que esperar. Y rezar también.

Good job...now post this in Russian and Chinese please.

GrandeDavid
07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
POOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! Que viado! Que pena, uaíííí!!! Caralho!

WalterBenitez
07-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Not if those 4 teams showed interest by inquiring about him through trades.

one more time, I heard (pay attention that was mentioned by an Argentinean reporter on the radio :angel ) that ...Cavs and Bobcats were interested in Scola's draft rights ... but that these teams have nothing valuable to offer to Spurs, so the only probably scenario were to find a third team interested in what Cavs a Bobcats could offer.

Too complicated ins't it? :rolleyes

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 01:12 PM

Scola don´t speak in Russian or Chinese

smeagol
07-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Instead of being sarcastic, ask if someone can be kind enough to transalate it . . . or learn the fucking language, moron.

smeagol
07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Again, reading all the info available (mind you some of it is in Spanish and either has not been properly transalated or has not been transalated at all (yet)), I still don't see why Scola is being characterized by some as a whiner.

ducks
07-19-2005, 01:18 PM
yeah lets learn another language after all this is america and the language is ENGLISH

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 01:23 PM
but all of a sudden when it looked like we might not get him... he's an undersized euro who wont amount to much.

What you don't get, probably because you were missing from the forum for a while, is that the people who are saying that Scola may not amount to much have been saying that all along. It doesn't have anything to do with the Spurs signing him or not. A lot of people have been skeptical about Scola for a long while. A lot of people have questioned bringing in another PF when they have other needs. A lot of people have questioned his rebounding and defense (including the Spurs) and this was far before anyone knew if Scola was coming or not.

It's comical because you keep making sweeping generalizations about what is being said on the forum which are completely off base.

Maybe you should go back to lurking.

spvrs
07-19-2005, 01:29 PM
And truth be known, his agent wasn't trying that hard, hoping to get more money (well, the whole MLE anyway) out of the Spurs by playing the whole "whoa is us, we gotta come up with $$ for a buyout" card, to which the Spurs promptly (and appropriately said "fine, we'll take Oberto for less."

it's time for all of us to STFU and listen to AHF. He is an international agent and is familiar with the contract and knows more than the rest of us. He's even got the rough quotes of the conversation. Thanks for clearing up what was actually said and how each side tried to negotiate.

constantstate
07-19-2005, 01:30 PM
yeah maybe i should... because i dont want to go back and read all those comments you claim i make up? i thought making sweeping generalizations one way and not the other was what i was commenting against? because i dont have a vested interest in this board or scola... other than i love to talk back and forth about things concerning both the team and whats said about what will happen about the team with other fans. but its you're show. (and thats fine with me) delete this account and the other one.

smeagol
07-19-2005, 01:30 PM
yeah lets learn another language after all this is america and the language is ENGLISH
Dude, we make an effort to understand the language you write in , and we hardly complain :lol

Seriously, many people on this board are bi-lingual and articles in Spanish are posted all the time (and many posters, including myself, have transalted them so everybody can understand them).

That dude being sarcastic was uncalled for, especially beacause the article waly posted sheds a lot of light with regards to the Scola situation.

And I don't give a shit if this is America, learning another language will help you in all orders of life.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 01:32 PM
yeah maybe i should... because i dont want to go back and read all those comments you claim i make up? i thought making sweeping generalizations one way and not the other was what i was commenting against? because i dont have a vested interest in this board or scola... other than i love to talk back and forth about things concerning both the team and whats said about what will happen about the team with other fans. but its you're show. (and thats fine with me) delete this account and the other one.

Blah blah blah.

Just lose the attitude that's in all your posts since you've returned and you'll be fine. You used to be a good poster.

ducks
07-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Dude, we make an effort to understand the language you write in , and we hardly complain :lol

Seriously, many people on this board are bi-lingual and articles in Spanish are posted all the time (and many posters, including myself, have transalted them so everybody can understand them).

That dude being sarcastic was uncalled for, especially beacause the article waly posted sheds a lot of light with regards to the Scola situation.

And I don't give a shit if this is America, learning another language will help you in all orders of life.

I just get ticked off on the mexicans that do not try to in yuma
sometimes you can not get a job in yuma if you do not know spanish

learning another language should not be a requirement
learning how to perfom a special skill should be all that is required
it takes longer to do both

I appreciate the people on the board that translate.

temple.of.the.dog
07-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Blah blah blah.

Just lose the attitude that's in all your posts since you've returned and you'll be fine. You used to be a good poster.

this is the other.

benjirh

So lets stay ignorant!

ducks
scola for the record got mad the rc told him by email to improve his rebounding and defensense

so yes some people here were always conserned about those areas of his game

ducks
07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
So lets stay ignorant!

just beause a person learns one language does not make them a stupid idiot

english is hard enough
one of the tougher languages to learn by the way

mookie2001
07-19-2005, 01:44 PM

true

how can one scoff another for not knowing a language?

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 01:45 PM

Hey Ducks ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

The San Antonio name is English or Spanish

mookie2001
07-19-2005, 01:47 PM
que caballo

benjirh
07-19-2005, 01:47 PM

english is hard enough

I agree it doesn't make them stupid. I only speak english. I just think it is dumb to refuse to translate something into someones first language just because we are in america.

And english is NOT one of the tougher languages to learn. Other than some of our words being used for multiple meanings it is fairly easy compared with quite a few.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Please get back on topic. We want basketball articles to be posted here in any language and we appreciate those who help us translate.

End of story.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Hey smeagol, suck a dick already.

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 01:54 PM
There are 29 more teams but the Spurs own your rights. Have you asked to be traded?

Yes, because it is the only option. They have my rights but don't count on me for the roster. They used all the money and they have all the positions full, so there is no place for me there. I imagine they will search for solutions not to waste me.

It seems he wants to play in the NBA no matter if in the Spurs or the Charlotte Hornets...

WalterBenitez
07-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Hey Ducks ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

The San Antonio name is English or Spanish

I think we accept English as the "official language" in this forum, the point that some material is written in other language should imply that we must post an understandable translation in order to participate, discuss, etc.

smeagol
07-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Huh?

timvp
07-19-2005, 02:01 PM
1) Scola has always had a tendancy to whine. He whined when he got drafted in the second round. He whined that RC told him to rebound and defend more. Now the Spurs don't bring him over and he's demanding a trade.

Do you see the pattern? If he can't handle an email from RC telling him what he has to do to improve, how is he going to react to Pop on his azz? If he can't do everything he can to get out of his Tau contract and come prove himself in the NBA, do you want the Spurs to just give him millions when he's proven nothing on the NBA level? Look at what happened with Manu. He took a two year, $3M contract to come over. The year before he came over, talks with the Spurs fell through much like talks with Scola fell through this summer. Did Manu start whining about not getting offered enough and demand trade?

2) I don't know how some can't realize that not everyone thinks Scola is a Latino David Robinson. I've said that Oberto > Scola since I first saw the pair play in 2002. I like Scola and think he can make it as an NBA player, but Oberto is bigger and fits more into the Spurs' philosophy.

And a lot of us have questioned Scola's size all summer ... even when it looked like he was coming over. An average athlete at 6'8 is going to have a tough time playing power forward in the NBA. This has been stated many times throughout the months/years.

3) The Spurs got their man. They offered more money to Oberto. They rushed on Scola to make sure they didn't lose Oberto. Oberto was no doubt their target and rightly so ... as anyone who has seen them play a lot will tell you.

4) A lot of what is going to come out from the Spurs will be spin now. They have to talk it up like Scola was their choice but things just fell through. The Spurs can't say that Oberto > Scola because that would lower Scola's stock.

The Scola is the Second Coming stuff will hopefully stay for now. If there's a team out there that sees him as a future all-star, then the Spurs can get a pretty good deal in return. If teams pick up on the fact that the Spurs picked Oberto over Scola, then they'll start to shy away ... especially condering how good the Spurs are at overseas scouting.

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 02:02 PM
I think we accept English as the "official language" in this forum, the point that some material is written in other language should imply that we must post an understandable translation in order to participate, discuss, etc.

Ok, but if you have news in Spanish, what must you to do?

vanvannen
07-19-2005, 02:03 PM

Post and translate. That way if your translation is poor some other poster can make it better.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 02:04 PM

Just post it in Spanish. Someone will translate it. We appreciate you posting what you have in any language. Anyone who doesn't like it that way can :stfu

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Post and translate. That way if your translation is poor some other poster can make it better.

NO! He doesn't have to translate. There are plenty of people who can translate. Seriously I'm sick of the fucking policing of this forum by some of you people (I'm not just talking to you). We don't mind articles being posted that aren't translated. Someone (usually in a matter of an hour) will translate. If you don't like this policy, post somewhere else.

mookie2001
07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
que lastima

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Why you wanted the rights over some player if you never will used it?

I think maybe the spurs wanted to Scola pays some of the money needed.

Manu ginobili did...

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 02:16 PM
I think maybe the spurs wanted to Scola pays some of the money needed.

Scola has to pay the money needed. The Spurs can only pay $350K of it.

nkdlunch
07-19-2005, 02:16 PM
1) Now the Spurs don't bring him over and he's demanding a trade.
Is this a fact or your guess? could you provide a link?

The Scola is the Second Coming stuff will hopefully stay for now.
I keep reading this "second coming" stuff? what does it mean? second coming of what? I don't remember anyone saying Scola was second coming of anybody :wtf

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 02:21 PM
1) If he can't do everything he can to get out of his Tau contract and come prove himself in the NBA, do you want the Spurs to just give him millions when he's proven nothing on the NBA level? Look at what happened with Manu. He took a two year, $3M contract to come over. The year before he came over, talks with the Spurs fell through much like talks with Scola fell through this summer. Did Manu start whining about not getting offered enough and demand trade?

Ok Timvp, but why a player need to prove himself in the NBA first to take his millions?

Manu choice to take a few money for coming, but one day the NBA must to Know, that there are great players all over the World, and the NBA must to pay if they want the internationals players

Now in the Champions Team, there are 3 starters from European Basquetball, Manu-Parker-Rasho, and Beno Udrih, Sean Marks and in the last years Foreigners players

Brian Scalabrini have a 15 millions - 5 years contract and why?

Has proven Scalabrini something in the league?

Greg Ostertag have a 4,4 millions contract, Jerome James have a MLE only for made Flagrant fouls

When GM signs a foreign player, they to hope to win the lottery, to pay 1.5 million and that they play as by the double
Always the players of outside must gain little and to be a gangue

When Manu signed for the first time, many said that his contract was well, and that 3 million had to be sufficient and played by the triple

But Buford wants to gain the GM Award of the year, to obtain great players for few money, and that happens not very times in the NBA

smeagol
07-19-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm working on a transalation as we speak.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Waly, in this summer, the Spurs didn't have a lot of money available to play with. I'm sure that they would have wanted Scola here at the right price to see what he could do. But they couldn't give him a contract for something like 3 years/$15M. If Scola's buyout can really be negotiated down to $2-3M as reported, then he could take a 3year/$9M contract and be with the Spurs. But it didn't get done.

timvp
07-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Is this a fact or your guess? could you provide a link?

Did you read the article?

Have you asked to be traded?

Yes.

I keep reading this "second coming" stuff? what does it mean? second coming of what? I don't remember anyone saying Scola was second coming of anybody :wtf

It's biblical.

Basically, a lot of people have been extremely high on Scola. Some have even compared him to players like David Robinson and Moses Malone.

Personally, I think that Scola will be good. I could even see him being a 14 point, 8 rebound guy in the league. The problem I see with him is his style of play doesn't really work on the Spurs.

The last undersized power forward who played on this team was shipped off as soon as a deal could be found. And that player had two championship rings and was statistically one of the better backup bigs in the NBA ... and perhaps the best in team history.

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 02:28 PM

english is hard enough

English is difficult
but try to learn Spanish

Es bastante mas dificil, los quiero ver complicandose con los tiempos verbales

nkdlunch
07-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Did you read the article?

Ok, saw that but he "asked" to be traded no "demanded". :)

Basically, a lot of people have been extremely high on Scola. Some have even compared him to players like David Robinson and Moses Malone.

Come on, some ppl here say the dumbest things. We shouldn't quote these dumbasses, but try to forget their posts.

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 02:29 PM
One thing is true, when Nazr or Rasho get a Offensive Rebound, its a Offensive Rebound, when TD get one, is a OR and 2 points, Oberto or Scola are players like TD, not like Rasho or Nazr

spvrs
07-19-2005, 02:30 PM
1) Scola has always had a tendancy to whine. He whined when he got drafted in the second round. He whined that RC told him to rebound and defend more. Now the Spurs don't bring him over and he's demanding a trade.
this is not demanding. he basically said trade me, good for him. I know everyone who doesn't say... 'I want to be the water boy on the spurs rather than play on another team' is a complete dipshit

how is he going to react to Pop on his azz?
Scola has handled one of the biggest ball buster coaches in Europe there is no way Pop is so tough he won't be able to handle it. (FYI: Oberto quit the team because he couldn't handle this coach)

Did Manu start whining about not getting offered enough and demand trade?1) Scola has always had a tendancy to whine. He whined when he got drafted in the second round. He whined that RC told him to rebound and defend more. Now the Spurs don't bring him over and he's demanding a trade.

so everyone has to live up to the standards that Manu set? fvck that. Manu is a very special player and we are lucky to have him, to hold every choice to what manu did is crap (was his buyout this ornerous?)

3) The Spurs got their man. They offered more money to Oberto. They rushed on Scola to make sure they didn't lose Oberto. Oberto was no doubt their target and rightly so ... as anyone who has seen them play a lot will tell you.

No one knows that but the spurs. The fact that the situations were totally different, (ie Scola wasn't a lock, there was a possiblity that Tau would refuse.) Spurs had to move, they went the safe option because we just won the championship and have right at 3 allstars... this wasn't a statement it was a no brainer.

We'll just have to see how Scola turns out. you don't know how he'll be, spurs don't, he doesn't... Let's see if his game translates.

timvp
07-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Ok Timvp, but why a player need to prove himself in the NBA first to take his millions?

That's just how it works. It's probably not fair, but players have to show something in the NBA to get paid. The money Scola wanted (it seems) was more money than the number one overall pick in the NBA draft. Is Scola better than Bogut?

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 02:33 PM
For all of you... Scola never whined about RC concerns about Rebounds and Defense...
that was written in OLE but Scola never said nothing or whine about it... try to post a link related to that whine or stop saying that.

WalterBenitez
07-19-2005, 02:33 PM
It is not a news, but In the same situation, Chapu Nocioni last year accepted a contract, invested his savings in his buyout, asked for a consideration from TAU and TAU only accepted to receive the buyout in 3 years (not sure about that) and TAU kept Nocioni's FIBA rights, so if he ever played outside USA he'll have to play for TAU.

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 02:36 PM
IN Fact, Oberto have 30 places to go, and Scola only one
Thats the reason

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Los Spurs hicieron cuentas tras la renovación de Horry (costó más dinero del esperado) y enviaron una oferta un poco menor a 7.000.000 de dólares por tres años. Para Luis y su gente no resultaba del todo convincente, ya que de ese dinero debían deducir el pago de la cláusula (unos 3.200.000) y los impuestos (cercanos al 40%).

The Spurs make numbers after Horry´s renegotiation and send an offer under 7 millions for 3 years. For Luis and his agent it wasn´t convincent?, because with that money they must pay the buyout agreement (3.2 millions) and taxes 40% (1.28 million)

I don´t know if i'm right with the translation...

check it out on
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=1016788

ducks
07-19-2005, 02:40 PM
That's just how it works. It's probably not fair, but players have to show something in the NBA to get paid. The money Scola wanted (it seems) was more money than the number one overall pick in the NBA draft. Is Scola better than Bogut?

because at one time the rookies were getting more money then the proven nba stars
so the old cba got created to take care of that
and most people in todays world has to prove what they can do for their new boss before getting paid big bucks then they get raises

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 02:41 PM
3.2 + 1.28 = 4.38 millions

7 - 4.38=2.62 millions

0.87 millions per year...

In the same situation I wouldl stay in TAU or ask for a trade

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
0.87 millions per year...

In the same situation I wouldl stay in TAU or ask for a trade

Really?

Getting nearly 900K a year for a chance to live your dream?

(Side note: In reality, the buyout hasn't been determined to be $3.2M. That's just what they are hoping it will be.)

WalterBenitez
07-19-2005, 02:44 PM

Good enough, so your point is 3.4 + 1.48 = 4.88 of 7 M$ won't go to Scola's pocket.

If this is your point; Manu accepted to receive less money in order to have a chance to be an NBA.

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Not if Tau pays you 1.5 million per year

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Good enough, so your point is 3.4 + 1.48 = 4.88 of 7 M$ won't go to Scola's pocket.

If this is your point; Manu accepted to receive less money in order to have a chance to be an NBA.

As I remember the Spurs pay him 1.2 million per year

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Not if Tau pays you 1.5 million per year

Wait a minute .. I thought money wasn't important, it was about coming to the NBA.

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 02:46 PM

The Bogut's contract is the Players Choice and the NBA rules
But Scola isn´t a rookie, he have a Gold Medal, a 2nd place in the WC
Bogut can be the best player in USA outside the NBA, but Scola is one or the Best player in Europe, right now

And if you make a game between the Draft and the FIBA players, the Fiba´s always beat the Rookies

And Darko Milicic have the Money that Bogut have, and he is in the Brown´s doghouse

And Today Scola is so better than Bogut, in the Olympics he played better than TD too

ducks
07-19-2005, 02:46 PM
do not the spurs get to pay 500k to the buyout doue to the new cba rules

ducks
07-19-2005, 02:48 PM
The Bogut's contract is the Players Choice and the NBA rules
Bogut can be the best player in USA outside the NBA, but Scola is one or the Best player in Europe, right now

And if you make a game between the Draft and the FIBA players, the Fiba´s always beat the Rookies

And Darko Milicic have the Money that Bogut have, and he is in the Brown´s doghouse

And Today Scola is so better than Bogut, in the Olympics he played better than TD too

so if bogut had a gold medal he deserves more?
what about if he had a ncaa title ring?

scola is a rookie in the NBA

nkdlunch
Wait a minute .. I thought money wasn't important, it was about coming to the NBA.

Hey he gotta feed his kids too! :lol

waly.mg

ahahahahahahahahahah
NBA is a business

spvrs
in the Olympics he played better than TD too
this is bullshyt. Duncan played like 7 minutes in the entire olympics because no one wanted USA to win (worst reffing this side of game 6 SAC/LA)

So Scola wants to get paid, just like 92% of other americans (myself included).

SpursChampsIII
07-19-2005, 02:51 PM

That's pretty clear in any language.

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Hey he gotta feed his kids too! :lol

I was trying to post the same!!! :lol

WalterBenitez
07-19-2005, 02:52 PM
So Scola wants to get paid, just like 92% of other americans (myself included).

Yes, if you talk about dreams so make the sacrifice to become an NBA player otherwise keep trying, Scola got his money, probably have a couple of M$ in the Bank, is 25 years old, make an invest and come to NBA like Manu did.

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 02:53 PM
scola is a rookie in the NBA

Was Manu a Rookie when he came to the NBA?

Manu played more Game 7 than any player in the NBA, and Scola played more Hot games than Tony Parker or TD

Manu became a pro since his 17, not 3 years ago, and Bogut is a Rookie

spvrs
07-19-2005, 02:54 PM
he doesn't want to. so he's not a saint. what's your point? He wants to get paid as part of his dream. good for him

smeagol
Here's the translation. If another bi lingual poster can check, I would greatly appreciate it.

Luis Scola:

“I’m not mad for what happened with the Spurs. These are the rules of the game and I accept them. It’s the truth; I have no reason to be mad neither with the Spurs nor with Tau.”

“My dream is still to be able to play in the NBA. Fortunately, I fulfilled my dreams with regards to the NT and with Tau. But I’m still missing one.”

Luis and the NBA: How does the story continue?

It seemed that everything was ready. SA had his rights after picking him in the 2002 draft and the franchise was convinced he was the player the Spurs needed. RC Buford and Pop has agreed: Scola was the chosen one. But there was not only the analysis related to his b-ball skills, but the economic analysis too.

The Spurs checked their numbers after they renewed Horry’s contract (he was more expensive than expected). The Spurs gave Scola an offer for a little less than $7MM for 3 years. For Luis and his manager, it did not seem to be enough, given that out of that money they would have to pay Tau ($3.2MM) and subtract taxes (roughly 40%).

Nevertheless, Scola was still confident. But the contract with Tau is far too complex (the contract does not specify what happens if Scola was picked in the second round of the draft – it does, if he were to have been picked in the first round). Moreover, Tau appears to be inflexible (they consider Luis as a key player). SA did not want to wait to see how the plot unraveled and went for their second best option (Oberto) before he (Oberto) was picked by somebody else.

Now Luis’ situation is a more complex one. He needs the Spurs to trade him to another franchise. His agents have already requested this. But this is not an easy thing. The Champs might not want to trade his rights if they expect him to be a Spur in the future. If the Spurs decide to trade him, it is still a complex scenario because who ever picks him will have to negotiate with Tau. Scola cannot pay his buyout and then negotiate with an NBA team. It’s the other way around. First, Luis has to go to Tau with and offer from and NBA team in order for Tau to make effective the NBA clause ($3.2MM) and not the European clause ($14.5MM).

His agents are confident, they even talk about four other NBA teams which are interest in Luis, but everything depends on the Spurs, Tau and also that another NBA team be ready to make a big bet. In other words, the third NBA team has to be willing to trade one of his players for Scola’s rights and give the Argentine at least, a $7.5MM contract. It’s not easy. We will have to wait and pray.

nkdlunch
Seriously, the "best pf outside of US" and be making what, 900k!!????

I'ts kinda messed up. I don't blame him to reject that offer.

SpursChampsIII
"Hey baby que paso...thought I was your only vato"

There...I am making an effort to English and Spanish!

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 02:55 PM
As I remember the Spurs pay him 1.2 million per year

Plus they offer him 54 millions for 6 years...

Yep he only plays for the dream of being an NBA....

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 02:59 PM
he doesn't want to. so he's not a saint. what's your point? He wants to get paid as part of his dream. good for him

Even is he took the supposed 3year/$7M offer and paid the $3M over three years .. he's still get around $1M a year. That's getting paid. Scola is the one that signed that contract with the buyouts. It's not the Spurs fault that he has to pay them. They can't give him like 3year/$15M just so he can pay the buyout and still cash in. That's not how it works. The Spurs don't have money to throw around this summer.

spvrs
07-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Agreed. it's just not a good situation, I certainly don't think the spurs screwed him.

he's in a lousy position, I just don't think it's outrageous that he wants to be traded.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 03:02 PM
The Spurs gave Scola an offer for a little less than $7MM for 3 years.

In other words, the third NBA team has to be willing to trade one of his players for Scola’s rights and give the Argentine at least, a $7.5MM contract.

So a little less than $7M wasn't good enough, but $7.5M is good enough?

ducks
07-19-2005, 03:04 PM
after reading that article, SCOLA GOT SCREWED IN THE ASS

he did?

what makes you make such a bold statement as that

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 03:06 PM
oK,
But the NBA is wrong because there are too maney players underpayed too.

If not check this:

Bruce Bowen: 13 million/3 years
Brent Barry: 24 Millions/4 years

And if you have the Choice: Who do you choice? Barry or Bowen

The Defenders are always underpayed in the NBA too and the Internationals too

ducks
07-19-2005, 03:07 PM
bowen chose less to stay with the spurs

nkdlunch
07-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Not only the NBA, the whole world is wrong. Shit, I'm underpayed too.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 03:09 PM
The Defenders are always underpayed in the NBA too and the Internationals too

Bruce Bowen took less money from the Spurs so that Manu and Tony could get re-signed. He's taken less money from the Spurs twice now. He wants to play here .. he likes winning.

ducks
07-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Spurs won't pay for him to be on the team, and if another NBA team wants him they have to give up a player to the Spurs PLUS deal with the bastards of Tau

so trading a player means you are acting like an ass

I would think most people would be happy to live on $1 million dollars per year
would you not?

hendrix
07-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Even is he took the supposed 3year/$7M offer and paid the $3M over three years .. he's still get around $1M a year. That's getting paid. Scola is the one that signed that contract with the buyouts. It's not the Spurs fault that he has to pay them. They can't give him like 3year/$15M just so he can pay the buyout and still cash in. That's not how it works. The Spurs don't have money to throw around this summer.

Ok, but why call him a whiner.
The spurs dont have the money. Scola CANT pay his buyout. He's stuck.
He already said it's not Spurs fault. Yes, he was (perhaps) mad at the spurs because they didnt do what he expected (the boy dreamed, everyone does).
He thought he deserved more than what was offered (you can say unrealistic or whatever... but whiner?)
He now wants a trade so he can make the NBA this year.
If not, he plays for Tau. Tough luck.
I think thats it.

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 03:11 PM
I never listen a 30 millions offer to BB

waly.mg
07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
If Scola pay his Buyout now and he remain one year in Europe, he can be a Free Agent next summer if i´m not wrong

texasqb2
07-19-2005, 03:23 PM

If they did indeed offer scola a 7 million contract, isnt that more than what we gave to Oberto?

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 03:24 PM
If Scola pay his Buyout now and he remain one year in Europe, he can be a Free Agent next summer if i´m not wrong
That depends on where he wanted to go if is another European Team is 14 mil, if is an NBA Team is 3 mil but he must have an offer....

pache100
07-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Rattle of vengeance:

I disagree about the two camps. No one here is making fun of or belittling Scola for his desires about the NBA and/or the Spurs. I think everyone here understands that and sympathizes with him about it.

The divergence of opinion comes on what can be done about it. The bottom line is that at this point in time, the SPURS CANNOT DO ANYTHING. Apparently, due to poor planning or misunderstanding or bluffing (or whatever) on his and his agent's part, there is nothing Scola can do about it either this year. Yes, that sucks for him. I think we all agree on that, too. It probably sucks for us, too. But it is what it is. The people who are mystified about "the talk of whining and petty invective", THAT THEY HAVE IMAGINED (I sure have not seen it), need to grow up and get a clue. They need to pay attention to what is being said here, the reasons for things being the way they are, and factor that into their moaning about Scola's poor unfortunate situation. Scola is a grown man. He's doing the work he wants to do and he's making a lot of money. His time will come.

Get over it.

AlamoSpursFan
07-19-2005, 03:25 PM

I'm naturally going with the Frito Lay angle. I'll be calling him "Oh Boy" Oberto.

http://www.fritolay.com/images/cm/mid_products_oberto.gif

Unless he screws up, then I'm calling him "Jerky"

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 03:27 PM
If they did indeed offer scola a 7 million contract, isnt that more than what we gave to Oberto?

Oberto got 3years/$7.5M.

FoxMulder
07-19-2005, 03:30 PM

Remember scola must pay his own buyout that remains 2 mil for 3 years

smeagol
07-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Sparky, chupame un huevo, already

Horry For 3!
07-19-2005, 04:06 PM

That is what I was thinking. He is saying he wants to be traded, well then he doesn't deserve to be on the Spurs team and we should trade him or trade him and rasho/nazr for a good player.

ALVAREZ6
07-19-2005, 04:08 PM
That is what I was thinking. He is saying he wants to be traded, well then he doesn't deserve to be on the Spurs team and we should trade him or trade him and rasho/nazr for a good player.
I would wanna be traded too if I was drafted like 3 or 4 years ago and I still haven't been signed on the team.

He just wants to play in the league.

50 cent
07-19-2005, 04:12 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

nkdlunch
07-19-2005, 04:13 PM

:wtf???

why? It's true that Spurs now should consider trading him, but why doesn't he deserve to play for Spurs??

smeagol
07-19-2005, 04:30 PM
I still think its unfair to call Scola a whiner.

Regarding him being upset to be drafted in the second round, well, we now know why (buy-out related).

Regarding the current situation, its clear from the article that he is not bitter with the Spurs. He just wants to play int he NBA and does not see an opportunity with the Spurs in the forseable future.

Rick Von Braun
07-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Even is he took the supposed 3year/$7M offer and paid the $3M over three years .. he's still get around $1M a year. That's getting paid. Scola is the one that signed that contract with the buyouts. It's not the Spurs fault that he has to pay them. They can't give him like 3year/$15M just so he can pay the buyout and still cash in. That's not how it works. The Spurs don't have money to throw around this summer. I think you are all getting all the numbers wrong. Please do not use the value of the contract, use the after-tax money (the actual money he could use). I did a similar analysis not so long ago, and people just ignored it.

Assuming the following:

40% taxes (low ball estimate, a 45% would be more accurate),
a 3 year/7M contract (i.e. 2.5M first year with 10% no compound increases), and
a 3 M buyout after Spurs contribution
a 3 years ~10% APR loan to pay out the buyout using the Spurs contract as collateral (i.e. ~1.2M/year)
we get:

Scola average salary = [total contract value - taxes - 3 years loan payment]/ 3 years
Scola average salary = [(7M * .6) - 1.2M * 3 ] / 3 = 200K/year

If I were Scola, for that money I would stay in Europe or try to convince the Spurs to trade my rights. I would be willing to jump to the NBA for slightly less money if playing in the NBA were my dream, but I would not do it if it implies a cut of more than 50% (or even much more) of my current salary. Who would?

Athletes have to maximize their income in the 15 years span they are able to work. There are many uncertainties, including injuries.

The following is Scola's actual salary based on the size of the contract:

Total contract -- actual average salary per year
6M/3 years -- $0
7M/3 years -- $200K
8M/3 years -- $400K
9M/3 years -- $600K
10M/3 years -- $800K
11M/3 years -- $1M

I think a 9-10M contract for 3 years would have done the the trick (600K-800K per year). The Spurs considered that was too much, and offered 7M/3 years.

boutons
07-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Could Luis, wherever he pays taxes, write-off his buyout cost off the top of his subsequent revenue, before taxes, as a "business expense"?

Seems extremely unfair that Luis' buyout costs come out of his after-tax revenue.

Extra Stout
07-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Reading that article in Spanish, it sounds like the Spurs have already written Scola off permanently, and are looking to trade his rights for whatever they can get.

That, or Scola is being melodramatic.

Oh, and he said he had an arrangement with the Spurs once he got his buyout done, but he never had a concrete offer in hand.

He does appear to say that the door is closed on his ever being a Spur.

Oh, he also says that signing him isn't really as complicated as the Spurs are making it sound.

WalterBenitez
07-19-2005, 04:52 PM
6M/3 years -- $0
7M/3 years -- $200K 8M/3 years -- $400K
9M/3 years -- $600K
10M/3 years -- $800K
11M/3 years -- $1M

Am I right if I say ... with Spurs' offert Scola would only get 200k/3 years = 16k/month???

If so ... Stay in Europe ... but if it is Scola's Dream ... just do it he could get a good contract after that.

timvp
07-19-2005, 04:52 PM
I think you are all getting all the numbers wrong. Please do not use the value of the contract, use the after-tax money (the actual money he could use). I did a similar analysis not so long ago, and people just ignored it.

Assuming the following:

40% taxes (low ball estimate, a 45% would be more accurate),
a 3 year/7M contract (i.e. 2.5M first year with 10% no compound increases), and
a 3 M buyout after Spurs contribution
a 3 years ~10% APR loan to pay out the buyout using the Spurs contract as collateral (i.e. ~1.2M/year)
we get:

Scola average salary = [total contract value - taxes - 3 years loan payment]/ 3 years
Scola average salary = [(7M * .6) - 1.2M * 3 ] / 3 = 200K/year

If I were Scola, for that money I would stay in Europe or try to convince the Spurs to trade my rights. I would be willing to jump to the NBA for slightly less money if playing in the NBA were my dream, but I would not do it if it implies a cut of more than 50% (or even much more) of my current salary. Who would?

Athletes have to maximize their income in the 15 years span they are able to work. There are many uncertainties, including injuries.

The following is Scola's actual salary based on the size of the contract:

Total contract -- actual average salary per year
6M/3 years -- $0
7M/3 years -- $200K
8M/3 years -- $400K
9M/3 years -- $600K
10M/3 years -- $800K
11M/3 years -- $1M

I think a 9-10M contract for 3 years would have done the the trick (600K-800K per year). The Spurs considered that was too much, and offered 7M/3 years.

But consider how much Scola will make if he plays the next three years at a high level. Being 28 years old and on one of the better teams in the league, he'd make tons of money ... to the point that he would forget ever having to "suffer" for three years as he proved himself.

Extra Stout
07-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Reading that article again, I think the door is closed on Scola for good.

50 cent
07-19-2005, 05:03 PM
This thread has been humorous to say the least.

Look, Scola signed that contract in Europe that is now hampering his ability to get into the NBA. And for all you Argentianians that love Scola and think NBA players are underpaid, you are out of your damn mind. All of us that sit in front of our computers that make $40-100K a year working 40-60 hours a week in an office that obsess over these NBA players are the ones that are underpaid. NBA players make plenty for the job they do and their contribution to society. We could all only wish to be compensated so well for having such a fun job.

nkdlunch
07-19-2005, 05:06 PM
All of us that sit in front of our computers that make $40-100K a year working 40-60 hours a week in an office that obsess over these NBA players are the ones that are underpaid.

not if we spend half of those 60 hours on Spurstalk :lol

SpursChampsIII
07-19-2005, 05:06 PM
This thread has been humorous to say the least.

Look, Scola signed that contract in Europe that is now hampering his ability to get into the NBA. And for all you Argentianians that love Scola and think NBA players are underpaid, you are out of your damn mind. All of us that sit in front of our computers that make $40-100K a year working 40-60 hours a week in an office that obsess over these NBA players are the ones that are underpaid. NBA players make plenty for the job they do and their contribution to society. We could all only wish to be compensated so well for having such a fun job.

RACK HIM!!!

AlamoSpursFan
07-19-2005, 05:10 PM
NBA players make plenty for the job they do and their contribution to society. We could all only wish to be compensated so well for having such a fun job.

Yeah, but we SPEND a lot...

Sincerely,
Patrick "If only" Ewing

Rick Von Braun
07-19-2005, 05:20 PM
But consider how much Scola will make if he plays the next three years at a high level. Being 28 years old and on one of the better teams in the league, he'd make tons of money ... to the point that he would forget ever having to "suffer" for three years as he proved himself. Agree, which is why I would personally even take a paycut from what I currently earn, but not that much. Three years is a long time, a lot of things can happen (i.e. injuries) and I would look for my financial future as well. Look, this is not Spree 14M/year "I cannot feed my family" case. With that contract, the guy would receive 3 times less money than a mimimum salary player in the NBA. I think Manu may have taken a small paycut on his potential salary in Europe to come to the Spurs, but something in the order of 10 to 20% for 2 years, NOT 60 to 70% for 3 years. That is a lot of money to pursue a dream and potential future earnings.

A contractual difference of 7M/3 years to 9M/3years would not have broken the bank for the Spurs. I think the Spurs were a little cheapo based on this recent information, but we will never know for sure.

Rick Von Braun
07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Could Luis, wherever he pays taxes, write-off his buyout cost off the top of his subsequent revenue, before taxes, as a "business expense"?

Seems extremely unfair that Luis' buyout costs come out of his after-tax revenue.
Nope before the first two years as a foreigner. I covered this in the thread "Time line for Scola" or something like that.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-19-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm asking an honest question here, not trying to take sides, but can't Scola pay his buyout with his savings+a loan+the 350k the Spurs are allowed to offer?

If he is going to play in the NBA, he can easily pay that loan back (as long as it is €3.5m, not €14m)

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Here's the translation. If another bi lingual poster can check, I would greatly appreciate it.

Luis Scola:

“I’m not mad for what happened with the Spurs. These are the rules of the game and I accept them. It’s the truth; I have no reason to be mad neither with the Spurs nor with Tau.”

“My dream is still to be able to play in the NBA. Fortunately, I fulfilled my dreams with regards to the NT and with Tau. But I’m still missing one.”

Luis and the NBA: How does the story continue?

It seemed that everything was ready. SA had his rights after picking him in the 2002 draft and the franchise was convinced he was the player the Spurs needed. RC Buford and Pop has agreed: Scola was the chosen one. But there was not only the analysis related to his b-ball skills, but the economic analysis too.

The Spurs checked their numbers after they renewed Horry’s contract (he was more expensive than expected). The Spurs gave Scola an offer for a little less than $7MM for 3 years. For Luis and his manager, it did not seem to be enough, given that out of that money they would have to pay Tau ($3.2MM) and subtract taxes (roughly 40%).

Nevertheless, Scola was still confident. But the contract with Tau is far too complex (the contract does not specify what happens if Scola was picked in the second round of the draft – it does, if he were to have been picked in the first round). Moreover, Tau appears to be inflexible (they consider Luis as a key player). SA did not want to wait to see how the plot unraveled and went for their second best option (Oberto) before he (Oberto) was picked by somebody else.

Now Luis’ situation is a more complex one. He needs the Spurs to trade him to another franchise. His agents have already requested this. But this is not an easy thing. The Champs might not want to trade his rights if they expect him to be a Spur in the future. If the Spurs decide to trade him, it is still a complex scenario because who ever picks him will have to negotiate with Tau. Scola cannot pay his buyout and then negotiate with an NBA team. It’s the other way around. First, Luis has to go to Tau with and offer from and NBA team in order for Tau to make effective the NBA clause ($3.2MM) and not the European clause ($14.5MM).

His agents are confident, they even talk about four other NBA teams which are interest in Luis, but everything depends on the Spurs, Tau and also that another NBA team be ready to make a big bet. In other words, the third NBA team has to be willing to trade one of his players for Scola’s rights and give the Argentine at least, a $7.5MM contract. It’s not easy. We will have to wait and pray.

Good translation smeagol

nkdlunch
07-19-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm asking an honest question here, not trying to take sides, but can't Scola pay his buyout with his savings+a loan+the 350k the Spurs are allowed to offer?

If he is going to play in the NBA, he can easily pay that loan back (as long as it is €3.5m, not €14m)

He could never do that, what if he gets injured or something.

Brutalis
07-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Scola is full of it.

ducks
07-19-2005, 05:55 PM
He could never do that, what if he gets injured or something.

he has a guaranteed contract this is not the nfl

Brutalis
07-19-2005, 05:56 PM
ps- Don't trade his rights unless we get uber mounds of gold for him. Make his ass sit in Europe til fucking 2009. The buyout works 4 ways. The Spurs. Tau. Scola. And the rules+money.

This is either Scola's fault, or his agent. Don't trade him just cause.

exstatic
07-19-2005, 06:18 PM
From all accounts Scola is an NBA ready player..

Spurs have been keeping him from making millions for awhile now..they should do the right thing and trade his rights. I wonder if Scola would be a spur if they offered him the same contract Oberto got instead of the lowball 7 Mil

Manu's original contract was 2 yrs, 2.9M. What it comes down to is that Scola and his agent are trying to play poker with Pop and RC...and they're losing. It also sounds like they won't tell the Spurs what the buyout is, in hopes of eliciting a huge offer. The Spurs are holding all of the good cards. They have his rights until one year after his Tau contract expires, and have NO REASON to trade him.

spvrs
07-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Great post on the numbers Rick. that was an eye opener. Don't forget the agent gets his piece too.

smeagol
07-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Manu's original contract was 2 yrs, 2.9M. What it comes down to is that Scola and his agent are trying to play poker with Pop and RC...and they're losing. It also sounds like they won't tell the Spurs what the buyout is, in hopes of eliciting a huge offer. The Spurs are holding all of the good cards. They have his rights until one year after his Tau contract expires, and have NO REASON to trade him.
I thought the buy out is $3.2MM for a first round draft pick. Because Scola was picked in the 2nd round, its unclear what the buyout is and that's why people think it might go to arbitration.

smeagol
07-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Good translation smeagol

Mark in Austin
07-19-2005, 07:10 PM
The bottome line is no matter how disapionting it may be right now, Scola and his agent need to put their noses to the grindstone and get the buyout situation resolved to the point that an NBA team can depend on it's certainty. Go to arbitration if necessary, but get it done and acknowledged by Eurobasket or FIBA, whoever deals with situations like this. THEN they would be in a much stronger position than they are now. If the Spurs decide to go with a young cheap three or trade Rasho or Nazr for an established three, then they could still concieveably use the remainder of their MLE on Scola. Unlikely, but possible. However, if Scola does not resolve the situation it is much, much less likely that Scola will play in the NBA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Some thoughts...

waly -

Despite his international resume, still hasn't played a game in the NBA.

Shawn Michaels-

Spurs won't pay for him to be on the team, and if another NBA team wants him they have to give up a player to the Spurs PLUS deal with the bastards of Tau

Boo fucking hoo. I don't know what's worse in this thread - Kori's complete ownage of all the Argentinian Scola nutridders, or Shawn Michaels trying to bring a take.

Dude, you're a dumbass, you probably still don't even know what country Oberto played for in the Olympics, and you make LakerGod look like someone who brings decent takes. STFU.

hendrix - Ok, but why call him a whiner.

Well, let's see...

1. Dude cried on draft night and pretty much said "fvck you" to the entire NBA for not drafting him in the first round.

2. He got all pissy when RC sent him an email encouraging him to work on his rebound. I know it's probably a novel concept to think a PF should average more than 6 boards a game, but RC might have been on to something.

3. Now his frustration and the whole he said/she said thing over not getting his contract.

Exstatic hit it on the head - Scola and his agent are trying to work the Spurs over for more money, they won't even come out and tell what the buyout is. Just that the Spurs needed to give him, an (NBA) unproven, undersized PF a crapload of money for this Tau buyout that seems to have changed more times than Kobe's Colorado story.

Bottom line:

* Argentines need to deal with it. This is all on Scola and his agent (this coming from a person who was looking forward to see Luis in the league).

* Scola's agent is really the one to blame here. He tried to bluff the Spurs out of more money. Dumb move. Pop is ex-CIA. Those guys always have connections.

* If Kori ever institutes a no-idiot policy for this board, Shawn Michaels will be gone faster than the Hawks playoff hopes.

Rick Von Braun
07-19-2005, 08:31 PM
The bottome line is no matter how disapionting it may be right now, Scola and his agent need to put their noses to the grindstone and get the buyout situation resolved to the point that an NBA team can depend on it's certainty. Go to arbitration if necessary, but get it done and acknowledged by Eurobasket or FIBA, whoever deals with situations like this. THEN they would be in a much stronger position than they are now. If the Spurs decide to go with a young cheap three or trade Rasho or Nazr for an established three, then they could still concieveably use the remainder of their MLE on Scola. Unlikely, but possible. However, if Scola does not resolve the situation it is much, much less likely that Scola will play in the NBA. I think this is what most people don't get. What you suggest should be ideal from the Spurs or any NBA team point of view but, but I don't think it is viable legally!

From the article smeagol translated:

Scola cannot pay his buyout and then negotiate with an NBA team. It’s the other way around. First, Luis has to go to Tau with and offer from and NBA team in order for Tau to make effective the NBA clause ($3.2MM) and not the European clause ($14.5MM).

Scola cannot negotiate with Tau before he has a concrete offer from an NBA team (Spurs in this case). The final amount of the buyout depends on what side of the pond is the team hiring Scola. If he has to go to arbitration, he must present proof of an NBA team commitment, not the other way around.

timvp
07-19-2005, 08:45 PM
I think this is what most people don't get. What you suggest should be ideal from the Spurs or any NBA team point of view but, but I don't think it is viable legally!

From the article smeagol translated:

Scola cannot pay his buyout and then negotiate with an NBA team. It’s the other way around. First, Luis has to go to Tau with and offer from and NBA team in order for Tau to make effective the NBA clause ($3.2MM) and not the European clause ($14.5MM).

Scola cannot negotiate with Tau before he has a concrete offer from an NBA team (Spurs in this case). The final amount of the buyout depends on what side of the pond is the team hiring Scola. If he has to go to arbitration, he must present proof of an NBA team commitment, not the other way around.

Either way, Scola has to have a number for a buyout. It doesn't make sense that the number is a mystery until he walks into the Tau offices with a contract. Scola or his agents should know what the number is. Tau is playing him like a fiddle if that is what they are telling him, because they know that an NBA team won't offer him a contract unless they know Scola signing it is possible. It's comical to think that a party in contract negotiations would only know the buyout number AFTER they are offered their next contract :lol

The first step Scola needs to do is get a number from Tau. After that is resolved, then the Spurs can either plan to bring him over or trade him or whatever. Imagine if the Spurs tried to trade him now and when the other team asked what the contract buyout it ... the Spurs tell them it's a secret until you offer him a contract. :rollin

danyel
07-19-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't get it, I think I missed something, why do you guys think the buyout is a mystery to either Scola, his agent or the Spurs? Just because Scola doesn't want to say it to the press?

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 09:03 PM
I don't get it, I think I missed something, why do you guys think the buyout is a mystery to either Scola, his agent or the Spurs? Just because Scola doesn't want to say it to the press?

Because he hasn't negotiatied the buyout amount yet, right? It was supposed to be 14M if he was going to a Euro team. It was supposed to be 3.2M if he was going to an NBA team (but only if he was a first round pick). So, no buyout amount has been determine.

Rick Von Braun
07-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Either way, Scola has to have a number for a buyout. It doesn't make sense that the number is a mystery until he walks into the Tau offices with a contract. Scola or his agents should know what the number is. Tau is playing him like a fiddle if that is what they are telling him, because they know that an NBA team won't offer him a contract unless they know Scola signing it is possible. It's comical to think that a party in contract negotiations would only know the buyout number AFTER they are offered their next contract :lol

The first step Scola needs to do is get a number from Tau. After that is resolved, then the Spurs can either plan to bring him over or trade him or whatever. Imagine if the Spurs tried to trade him now and when the other team asked what the contract buyout it ... the Spurs tell them it's a secret until you offer him a contract. :rollin
The fact that he didn't make that number public doesn't mean that the Spurs don't know it. Let's not kid ourselves. It is a matter that even with that number being known, Scola still has to go to arbitration to be released by a pesky Tau FO.

In order to go to arbitration, he must have an offer from the Spurs, and the Spurs will not have certainty of the buyout (and his player) until arbitration finishes by September. While the results of arbitration seem to favor Scola/Spurs, there is still uncertainty like in any legal procedure. In the unlikely--albeit possible--case of a negative result in arbitration, his contract money would be freezed a long time instead of being used in some other deals. I think the Spurs didn't want to take that risk, AND they offered him a cheap contract under the current conditions.

danyel
07-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Because he hasn't negotiatied the buyout amount yet, right? It was supposed to be 14M if he was going to a Euro team. It was supposed to be 3.2M if he was going to an NBA team (but only if he was a first round pick). So, no buyout amount has been determine.

I still dont get why you think that there is no amount determined when Scola said there was one and no one was guessing it.

It looks to me as there are two different amounts determined by Scola's contract, one if he goes to another european team or he becomes a free agent (14.5M) and another if he goes to the NBA (3.2M or something). Probably NBA buyout close specifies that there should be a contract offer before he can exercise it.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 09:12 PM
I still dont get why you think that there is no amount determined when Scola said there was one and no one was guessing it.I think his being coy about the amount is all the confirmation we need to conclude there is no amount set.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 09:12 PM
I still dont get why you think that there is no amount determined when Scola said there was one and no one was guessing it.

It looks to me as there are two different amounts determined by Scola's contract, one if he goes to another european team or he becomes a free agent (14.5M) and another if he goes to the NBA (3.2M or something). Probably NBA buyout close specifies that there should be a contract offer before he can exercise it.

Even Scola's side has said the $3.2M is only if he were a first round pick. So the real buyout amount (whether it's been determine or not) may be the same, if Tau agrees, or it may be a lot higher. Scola says that they were trying to negotiate a buyout but that they didn't meet the Spurs deadline .. that to me tells me that no one knows the exact number of the buyout.

Rick Von Braun
07-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Even Scola's side has said the $3.2M is only if he were a first round pick. So the real buyout amount (whether it's been determine or not) may be the same, if Tau agrees, or it may be a lot higher. Scola says that they were trying to negotiate a buyout but that they didn't meet the Spurs deadline .. that to me tells me that no one knows the exact number of the buyout.
The way I read the situation is:

If arbitration succeeds --> buyout = 3.2M
else --> 3.2M < buyout < 14.5M

danyel
07-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Or they could just offer Tau more money in order to avoid an arbitration but thats highly unlike Tau management.

So Scola would need a team willing to offer him a contract (something like 9M / 3years) and willing to wait for an arbitration, or offer him more money.

I dont think Scola will play in the NBA in the next season but everything is possible.

5ToolMan
07-19-2005, 11:33 PM
SPEWS SUCKING NOISE, A LOT OF HOT AIR AND NO TRUTH OR SUBSTANCE.

I would quote your comments, but they are pointless spins.

You say Scola whines, and can not take coaching critique, making it clear you don't have the knowledge to know Scola is considered a warrior by one of the toughest coaches in the World to play for.

As far as credibility on the matter, we all know where you stand. I would thrash the rest of your dribble, but my time dealing with small minds is limited. LOL!

timvp
07-19-2005, 11:35 PM
I would quote your comments, but they are pointless spins.

You say Scola whines, and can not take coaching critique, making it clear you don't have the knowledge to know Scola is considered a warrior by one of the toughest coaches in the World to play for.

As far as credibility on the matter, we all know where you stand. I would thrash the rest of your dribble, but my time dealing with small minds is limited. LOL!

Such insight.

Amazing.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 11:40 PM
5ToolMan = Master Thespian

Sense
07-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Such insight.

Amazing.

Don't get aggressive!!!!!

he's new!! :pctoss

5ToolMan
07-19-2005, 11:53 PM
5ToolMan = Master Thespian

I'm not acting. Just asking TiMVP to cut the clueless spin.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 11:57 PM
It was more the delivery.

timvp
07-20-2005, 12:02 AM
If that was humor, it was well played.

Props.

5ToolMan
07-20-2005, 12:06 AM

Your post almost make sence for a change. Well almost anyway. At least you did not turn what you don't know into a thrashing of Scola's character, putting the knife to your own.

I agree that Scola's agent should have settled the buyout number outside of any contract that may be offered. In fact, he is an idiot for not having a solid number long ago, before Scola's desire to play in the NBA was common knowledge, and before his stock elevated with a solid 2 years of post play.

But what is, is what is. And what is clear, is that Tau has the number high enough that neither Scola and consequently the Spurs have many options to now bring him the the NBA. Unless Tau decides to give him up, which is slim and none. It is business, plain an simple. And none of the three players are doing anything wrong.

Where

timvp
07-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Your post almost make sence for a change. Well almost anyway. At least you did not turn what you don't know into a thrashing of Scola's character, putting the knife to your own.

I agree that Scola's agent should have settled the buyout number outside of any contract that may be offered. In fact, he is an idiot for not having a solid number long ago, before Scola's desire to play in the NBA was common knowledge, and before his stock elevated with a solid 2 years of post play.

But what is, is what is. And what is clear, is that Tau has the number high enough that neither Scola and consequently the Spurs have many options to now bring him the the NBA. Unless Tau decides to give him up, which is slim and none. It is business, plain an simple. And none of the three players are doing anything wrong.

Where was this post before I attempted a timvp bash? I must have missed it.

Indeed.

5ToolMan
07-20-2005, 12:11 AM
It was more the delivery.

Point taken. I was playing just a little. It is clear TiMVP is a big enough man to take it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Seeing you vent out on a ONLINE POSTER is quite funny, I honestly just can't take 7 year old seriously

But maybe if you at least PRETEND to know what the fuck your talking about I'll take you more seriously then LakerGod

keep trying son, maybe you'll get it

Whatever you say Shawn Michaels. Have you figured out what country Oberto played for last year? Howabout Manu? Scola?

Shit, do you even know who Tim Duncan played for last year?

you know as much as everyone else does on the subject yet you act like you tell everyone else they're wrong

This coming from a dork named after a wrestler who kept arguing with everyone for 8 pages on the Oberto signing saying that you knew more than everyone else at the site, despite the fact you didn't even know what team Oberto played for last year.

Have a nice day, chump.

whottt
07-20-2005, 03:01 AM
Smeagol and other Scola defenders...

If the guy publicly asks to be traded, he's a whiner, period. End of discussion. I don't care if he's smiling and dancing the Samba while he is doing it...That's the way it's done in San Antonio...we don't have any damn drama queens on this team. We got guys that keep their mouth shut, play ball, and don't give reporters incentive to stir crap up and cause distractions...and if they have a problem, they take it the Spurs brass...not the media. That's the way it is on this team. About the only guy that could get away with that was Drob...and Drob earned that right(not to mention it was the smart thing for the Spurs to do).

You trade his ass before he even finishes saying tra---- and say good riddance.

I don't care if he's Lebron James...you trade him.

That is the absolute worst thing a player can say publicly. The absolute worst thing.

I never can figure what Pop will do...but IMO...Scola's comments gurantee he will never suit up in a Spurs uniform even if the Spurs did want him.

DesiSpur_21
07-20-2005, 03:08 AM
Smeagol and other Scola defenders...

If the guy publicly asks to be traded, he's a whiner, period. End of discussion. I don't care if he's smiling and dancing the Samba while he is doing it...That's the way it's done in San Antonio...we don't have any damn drama queens on this team. We got guys that keep their mouth shut, play ball, and don't give reporters incentive to stir crap up and cause distractions...and if they have a problem, they take it the Spurs brass...not the media. That's the way it is on this team. About the only guy that could get away with that was Drob...and Drob earned that right(not to mention it was the smart thing for the Spurs to do).

I don't care if he's Lebron James...you trade him.

I never can figure what Pop will do...but IMO...Scola's comments gurantee he will never suit up in a Spurs uniform even if the Spurs did want him.

Whott is right on. Admiral almost didn't get away with it until some good sense prevailed. The organization has been running this way for years now and that's how it is going to be for a long time from now.

whottt
07-20-2005, 03:12 AM
And the villians in all of this...those that did Scola wrong...are not the Spurs.

It's whoever got him into a contract with that ludicrous buyout...

And the main villian is his Euroleague team...Does it sound like they are being reasonable wanting double digit millions?

Having to take it to arbitration is not negotiating with Tau...that means Tau isn't budging and they know full well what the effect will be...they know the Spurs can't wait...no contending team can.

And he's not going to be that easy to trade for those same reasons.

They don't want Scola to leave. They lost their other stars...it's not the Spurs that did this to him...it's the Euroleague team being incredibly unreasonable. He needs to be calling them out...not the Spurs.

Athenea
07-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Many people have referred to him as a whiner long before this happened -- noting that he complained to the press when RC asked him to work on his rebounding/defense.

So get over it.
Who?
I addressed all Whottt's points w/facts and not even u could contradict me. And he never complained to the press about RC mails. He refused to talk about it and the rest was a rumor.
We don't need any more mess aside from the shitty info we get/got about the Scola saga.
Scola is in fuck-up situation. Blame his agent, blame Tau, blame the Spurs FO and blame Scola for signing a contract w/Tau and taking a risk in order to improve in the sport he loves at age of 17.
If Nocioni could get a 3 years/10 mill contract, I just can't imagine why Scola can't expect the same for himself. And I just can't imagine also why Scola is not a great fit for the Spurs.
Anywhoo...I hope this works some day for the player because it's obviously working for the teams involved. Tau and Spurs choose the status quo in detriment of Scola's needs. RickVB's analysis seems to be the more accurate.

milkyway21
07-20-2005, 03:37 AM
damn, 245 posts...:wow

anyway, I'm happy we got Oberto, a great fit for this team. Good scorer and rebounder. I just want to say good luck to Scola to see action in the NBA next yr or so. If it's going to be with the Spurs, great! If not , then i hope we could get a decent trade.

Sorry, Scola. For the meantime, I am so excited waiting how Oberto plays in the next season. I really admire his game in the World and the Olympics....

spvrs
07-20-2005, 09:01 AM

I don't care if he's Lebron James...you trade him. :lol :drunk

great post! what do you work at a car wash or somethign?

you're a bush guy right? 'smoke them out of the holes', 'your either for us or against us'

spvrs
07-20-2005, 09:16 AM
5ToolMan, although it's hard not too it's best to realize a message board is for posting not for reading... it's like 100 guys standing around talking as loud as they can at the same time. idea is you twist anything around to go with any preconcieved notions you have. (I seem to be able to work getting rid of Rasho into anything). Adding 'you obivoulsy don't watch basketball' or 'you don't even know the guy is from this country' plus a few curse words helps the low IQ posters with their street creed. Don't worry about facts, rumor and made up stuff is your friend.

then the guys with the sticks up their azzes like Dump can a) add a one word smart ass comment to everything b) comb through the 10000 page collective bargining agreement to make you look like an idiot c) fire both barrels into the functional retard whottt or if all that doesn't work he can make shyt up.

Mr. Body
07-20-2005, 09:54 AM
you're a bush guy right? 'smoke them out of the holes', 'your either for us or against us'

Clearly the Spurs do a better job planning for upcoming seasons that the Bush Administration ever did.

smeagol
07-20-2005, 01:29 PM
If the guy publicly asks to be traded, he's a whiner, period. End of discussion. I don't care if he's smiling and dancing the Samba while he is doing it...
Dancing the Samba?

WTF, is Scola Brazilean now?

You shoul've said dancing the tango :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Fuck man are we Spurs fans or what? Frankly I could care less if Scola had his feelings hurt.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-20-2005, 01:38 PM

I used some Fabri on my furniture fabrics just last week.

Gave 'em a fresh, outdoor scent.

nkdlunch
07-20-2005, 01:56 PM
If the guy publicly asks to be traded, he's a whiner, period. End of discussion.

Most of the time, but if the guy was expecting to get some playtime next season and the only way to achieve that now is to play for another team?

wildbill2u
07-20-2005, 02:11 PM
The Spurs make numbers after Horry´s renegotiation and send an offer under 7 millions for 3 years. For Luis and his agent it wasn´t convincent?, because with that money they must pay the buyout agreement (3.2 millions) and taxes 40% (1.28 million)

check it out on
http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v3/pagina.jsp?pagId=1016788
Close enough. I make it:

Los Spurs hicieron cuentas tras la renovación de Horry (costó más dinero del esperado) [The Spurs made a calculation after resigning Horry which cost them more than they expected (hoped)

y enviaron una oferta un poco menor a 7.000.000 de dólares por tres años. Para Luis [And they sent an offer of a little less than $7,000,000 for three years to Luis]

y su gente no resultaba del todo convincente, [And his people didn't turn out to be completely convinced]

ya que de ese dinero debían deducir el pago de la cláusula (unos 3.200.000) y los impuestos (cercanos al 40%). [since from this money they had to deduct the buy-out clause of some $3,200,000 and the taxes (nearly 40%).]

So Scola couldn't live with the $7,000,000 for three year deal and that's that. Apparently neither side negotiated much, especially the Spurs when Oberto was available for less.

ace3g
07-20-2005, 02:13 PM
[The Spurs made a calculation after resigning Horry which cost them more than they expected (hoped)

yeah but that doesnt take away from the MLE because we had Horry's bird rights so it didnt account from the MLE

WalterBenitez
07-20-2005, 02:25 PM
At this point I think ... how in f...g world, Scola's parents signed that contract (pay attention that Luis Scola was underage).

As my professor used to say ... PLEASE READ BEFORE SIGNING.

wildbill2u
07-20-2005, 02:28 PM
cheapo[/i] based on this recent information, but we will never know for sure.

9 million to a PF NBA newcomer who would play backup to Tim (and maybe Horry for the foreseeable future)? That's a lot of money for not many minutes.

And add to that the TAU threat to take this to court, based on their intepretation of the contract. It really doesn't matter if they are right, they'd probably stall things long enough to make any Spurs/Scola deal an impossibiltiy or hold out for a buy out costing more than Scola's peoples' interpretation. Tau has the cards here and they are fighting to keep their star.

wildbill2u
07-20-2005, 02:37 PM
[The Spurs made a calculation after resigning Horry which cost them more than they expected (hoped)

yeah but that doesnt take away from the MLE because we had Horry's bird rights so it didnt account from the MLE

Horry (and all the NBA contract stuff) doesn't really have anything to do with it. The problem revolves around Scola's contract with TAU and they way TAU is defending it with high numbers. Regardless of whether the Spurs could have sweetened the pot, if TAU holds out for 14.5 million or court, then the deal is unmakeable for this year. You can say this is a legal highjacking, but they have a right to try and get what they think is contractually owed.

pache100
07-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Horry (and all the NBA contract stuff) doesn't really have anything to do with it. The problem revolves around Scola's contract with TAU and they way TAU is defending it with high numbers.

Seems like some people REFUSE to get that, huh?

FoxMulder
07-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Dancing the Samba?

WTF, is Scola Brazilean now?

You shoul've said dancing the tango :lol

Maybe it was Zamba not Samba

"...Zamba de mi esperanza, amanecida como un querer..."

FoxMulder
07-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Most of the time, but if the guy was expecting to get some playtime next season and the only way to achieve that now is to play for another team?

If somebody have you locked up then you must say something.
Scola is stuck between Spurs and Tau... I think he wants to play in the NBA... but is been a difficult relationship with the Spurs so far...

Put yourselves in Scola's place...
If they don´t want you bad enough... why they draft you?
If they knew the buyout clause... why they draft you?
If they don´t want to pay the buyout... why they draft you?

If you improve every aspect of your game to satisfied coaches and managers complains...
If you were the top scorer in the Olimpycs games... and still you can´t prove you are good enough to play in the team... You will feel very, very dissapointed... plus if somebody says...
"Hey we want you!! But you must pay to play with us..."

I would say "Thanks a lot!!! I will seek another chances"

I´m feeling a real headache...

Rick Von Braun
07-20-2005, 03:40 PM
A contractual difference of 7M/3 years to 9M/3years would not have broken the bank for the Spurs. I think the Spurs were a littlecheapo based on this recent information, but we will never know for sure.

9 million to a PF NBA newcomer who would play backup to Tim (and maybe Horry for the foreseeable future)? That's a lot of money for not many minutes.

And add to that the TAU threat to take this to court, based on their intepretation of the contract. It really doesn't matter if they are right, they'd probably stall things long enough to make any Spurs/Scola deal an impossibiltiy or hold out for a buy out costing more than Scola's peoples' interpretation. Tau has the cards here and they are fighting to keep their star.

The difference between a 7M/3 years and a 9M/3 years is 600K for the first year of the contract. Assuming a $5M MLE, the Spurs would have had $2.3M from the MLE this year to make additional deals. With Oberto's contract (reported as 7.5M/3 years) they will have $2.7M to make additional deals. Hardly a huge difference.

The Spurs were indeed a little cheap, but that is not the main point. I think the real issue here was the uncertainty of going to arbitration and having that money frozen for a long period of time without guarantees (even if it looked favorable for the lawyers). This was the real issue IMHO. From a business point of view, I think the Spurs did the right thing. The Spurs still have the option of sitting on his rights and wait for the right moment to bring Scola in, or trade them if a good opportunity presents itself.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Put yourselves in Scola's place...
If they don´t want you bad enough... why they draft you?
If they knew the buyout clause... why they draft you?
If they don´t want to pay the buyout... why they draft you?

SCOLA pays the buyout, not the Spurs.