PDA

View Full Version : Mo Williams Spurs/Heat?

Johnsyounger
07-16-2013, 05:04 PM
https://www.facebook.com/spursnation210?hc_location=timeline
Spurs Nation is reporting Mo Williams may take less money to contend.....Its FB so not sure how true tbh

DPG21920
07-16-2013, 05:04 PM
That would be a lot less money :lol. But obviously adding Mo at that price would be a tremendous boost. Absolutely.

sananspursfan21
07-16-2013, 05:08 PM
That would be a lot less money :lol. But obviously adding Mo at that price would be a tremendous boost. Absolutely.

yea, i'm sure he'd take less money for a shot at a ringbut how low can he go is the question. logically the dude's made more than 90% of America and should chase his childhood dream of helping hoist the Larry O'Brien above his tiny head but from a business standpoint, signing here would mean a Shaq sized paycut

DesignatedT
07-16-2013, 05:09 PM
S&T with Utah.

Leetonidas
07-16-2013, 05:10 PM
He would be a fucking beast in a bench role. He gets shit on a lot but he is a solid guard with a good three point shot, he would thrive behind Parker in the 2nd unit with Manu and Beli imo

BatManu20
07-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Doubt Baby-face Williams comes to SA. OKC would be my bet.

HarlemHeat37
07-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Don't really see why he goes to Miami with Chalmers/Cole and with Lebron/Wade handling the ball, tbh..

I don't believe he would take a paycut to sign with the Spurs, but a S&T involving DeColo could work, tbh..Williams is one of the worst defensive players of this generation, but it's largely a moot point in a bench role on an elite defensive team, tbh..he's the perfect fit for the Spurs current need, as he fills the role of backup PG in addition to being the scorer that the Spurs need to mitigate Ginobili's struggles as the primary bench creator, tbh..

montgod
07-16-2013, 05:15 PM
I would have to agree. With Heat waiving Miller and freeing up some money, I see him or Oden going to Heat... would definitely be nice to have him though if Spurs can get rid of some players to free up another roster spot for a backup SF along with him.

When are the Suns going to buyout Butler?

monkeypunk
07-16-2013, 05:17 PM
I'd love him on the cheap but he's not coming here.

FB conjecture...

DapDaGenius
07-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Don't really see why he goes to Miami with Chalmers/Cole and with Lebron/Wade handling the ball, tbh..

....3peat....

monkeypunk
07-16-2013, 05:20 PM
With Heat waiving Miller and freeing up some money, I see him or Oden going to Heat...

I don't think they freed any money they can use by the amnesty, they just don't take the tax hit. They still have to pay his salary, or whatever is left after he gets claimed off waivers.

montgod
07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't think they freed any money they can use by the amnesty, they just don't take the tax hit. They still have to pay his salary, or whatever is left after he gets claimed off waivers.

I think he was using the MLE so that should free that back up is my guess... I could be wrong though.

CGD
07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Didn't OKC land a trade exception from Minni in the Kmart deal? He would make a lot of sense for them along side Westbrook in the back court.

montgod
07-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Didn't OKC land a trade exception from Minni in the Kmart deal? He would make a lot of sense for them along side Westbrook in the back court.

Fisher somewhere hoping they don't... lol.

spurraider21
07-16-2013, 05:44 PM
hopefully utah wants nando :lol

baseline bum
07-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Not really seeing what the Spurs offer that Utah wants. DeColo and Bonner? That would allow Williams to get something in the $6 million range.

Ron Swanson
07-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Over/under is set at 20 pages.

ducks
07-16-2013, 05:59 PM
jazz like expiring contracts
gs unloaded a bunch to them

Drachen
07-16-2013, 06:02 PM
other than horry we have a bad track record with picking up guys who consistently break our backs. This should be considered

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2013, 06:47 PM
other than horry we have a bad track record with picking up guys who consistently break our backs. This should be considered

Psst...Elie & Kersey. Shit, Glenn Robinson's Finals cameo contributed to the 3rd title, imo.

DPG21920
07-16-2013, 06:49 PM

Ginobili

Just kidding?

Drachen
07-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Psst...Elie & Kersey. Shit, Glenn Robinson's Finals cameo contributed to the 3rd title, imo.

ok so the formula is players who played for houston...

kersey is an outlier.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Well, and Milwaukee.

Just not New Jersey. Heavens, not New Jersey aka Brooklyn.

Captivus
07-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Anything to get rid of Bonner!!

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Sure, it would be great to sub Parker with him. Opposing defenses would never get a rest.

chrhawk
07-16-2013, 07:17 PM
So if the Spurs thought that Mo Williams was a piece that they needed, where would Joseph fit in? Would he spend another year as the third string point guard?

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2013, 07:26 PM
So if the Spurs thought that Mo Williams was a piece that they needed, where would Joseph fit in? Would he spend another year as the third string point guard?

Mix and match. That would be a worthwhile platoon and Neal can regress to the mean elsewhere.

Marrow
07-16-2013, 07:30 PM
first reports were that Mo didn't want to play 2nd string in Utah...now he's content playing backup for a contender

sounds like he's just telling people what they want to hear

raybies
07-16-2013, 07:34 PM
jazz like expiring contracts
gs unloaded a bunch to them

Thought the Same thing but then I think about it and they got picks. If the spurs sent bonner and a first they might consider it. Imo

Chinook
07-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Mix and match. That would be a worthwhile platoon and Neal can regress to the mean elsewhere.

I don't think there'd be any reason at all to keep Neal at that point.

Maybe the Spurs could do a three-team sign-and-trade deal where the Bucks get Neal, the Jazz get De Colo and the Spurs get Williams.

In the scenario, the Spurs could give Williams an offer starting at more than $6 Million. Not exactly a huge pay cut.

TheGoldStandard
07-16-2013, 09:06 PM
If it means getting rid of multiple guards or bonner then I'm all for it

Seventyniner
07-16-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't think there'd be any reason at all to keep Neal at that point.

Maybe the Spurs could do a three-team sign-and-trade deal where the Bucks get Neal, the Jazz get De Colo and the Spurs get Williams.

In the scenario, the Spurs could give Williams an offer starting at more than $6 Million. Not exactly a huge pay cut.

How many years, though? I can see the Spurs offering two, perhaps with a player option on the second year. Not three years, though, unless it's a team option on year three. I don't know if either of those are even possible under the CBA.

Chinook
07-16-2013, 09:15 PM
How many years, though? I can see the Spurs offering two, perhaps with a player option on the second year. Not three years, though, unless it's a team option on year three. I don't know if either of those are even possible under the CBA.

Sign-and-trade deals have to be for at least three years, but only the first year has to be fully guaranteed. So the Spurs could give Williams a $21M/3 deal and just make the last year fully non-guaranteed to keep their 2015 cap space.

Bruno
07-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Utah has renounced to their bird rights to Mo Williams to make their big trade work. He can't be had in a S&T. the max he could get from Spurs is a min contract.

Chinook
07-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Utah has renounced to their bird rights to Mo Williams to make their big trade work. He can't be had in a S&T. the max he could get from Spurs is a min contract.

Don't they still have a little cap space?

coyotes_geek
07-16-2013, 09:21 PM
I doubt the Spurs had anything that would have interested Utah anyways. They just drafted Burke as their PG of the future and they'll want a veteran backing him up, not another young PG like Decolo.

Bruno
07-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Don't know, I haven't checked it.

coyotes_geek
07-16-2013, 09:28 PM

Looks like you could be right. Looks like they still have somewhere between $4-$5 mil in cap space.

Chinook
07-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Don't know, I haven't checked it.

I just checked. According to Hoopsworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/utah-jazz-team-salary), they have right around $5 Million. So they could still sign-and-trade him for a contract about equal to the MLE. If they waive McNeal, they'd be able to S&T a deal starting at around $6 Million.

Dunc n Dave
07-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Can you sign & trade a player after you've renounced their rights?

Chinook
07-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Can you sign & trade a player after you've renounced their rights?

Yes. You just need cap space to do it.

From the CBA FAQ:

89. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?There is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:

The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.
The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 43 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q43)).
Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade1, 2. A team above the apron can receive a player in a sign-and-trade if the trade reduces the team's payroll and the team finishes the trade below the apron.
Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25)) that season.1
The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).
The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25)).

A sign-and-trade deal can be made with a free agent who has been renounced, as long as all the above criteria are met. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for at least three seasons (not including any option year) and no longer than four seasons. The first year of the contract must be fully guaranteed, but the remaining seasons can be non-guaranteed. The combination of a three-year minimum with a one-year guarantee ensures that the player's new team cannot acquire the player's Bird rights any sooner than if they had signed him directly (if they wanted to re-sign him in less than three years they would first have to waive him, and lose any Bird rights -- see question number 32 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q32)).The starting salary in a contract signed for a sign-and-trade may be any amount up to the player's maximum, however if the player meets the 5th Year 30% Max criteria (see question number 17 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q17)) he cannot receive a salary greater than 25% of the cap. Raises are limited to 4.5%. The player may be considered to have a lower outgoing salary for trade purposes, which can complicate the trade (see question number 87 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q87)).If a sign-and-trade contract contains a signing bonus, then either team can pay it. By default the team that signs the player pays the signing bonus (as with any other contract), but since a sign-and-trade is in essence a contract with the receiving team, the teams can agree that the receiving team will pay it. Any portion that is paid by the signing team counts toward the team's annual limit for cash included in a trade (see question number 95 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q95)), which in effect limits the portion of the signing bonus that can be paid by the signing team.If a sign-and-trade contract contains a trade bonus, then the bonus is not earned upon the trade that accompanies the signing, but rather on the first subsequent trade. See question number 93 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q93) for more information on how long a team must wait before they can trade a player.

These teams are free to send players to other teams in sign-and-trade transactions, or to receive players in sign-and-trade transactions who weren't signed-and-traded themselves. Also, the restriction applies only to the sign-and-trade transaction itself -- teams are free to acquire players who had been signed-and-traded in earlier transactions.

A different team salary definition is used for determining whether a team is above or below the apron -- see question number 14 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q14) for details. Starting in 2013-14 if a team acquires a player in a sign-and-trade, the apron ($4 million above the tax line) effectively becomes a hard cap for the remainder of that season.