PDA

View Full Version : Ancient origins, modern covers

Avante
07-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Back in the day they had race records, records by blacks for blacks. Most white people wouldn't be caught dead listening to that.."jiggabo"..music. But not all whites.

Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys were huge in the south/southwest starting in the mid 30's, they covered a lot of old race records, obviously their audience had no clue.

The original "Cocaine Blues" was first recorded by Piedmont player Luke Jordan in 1927, fellow old timer Dick Justice (white hillbillie) covered the tune about a year later, once again....who knew?

House of the Rising Sun... has been done by tons as has Stack O' Lee,/Stagger Lee. Appalachian great Clarence Ashley the first to record.. House of the Rising Sun.. in 1933 (obviously it took The Animals to make it famous) There is some dispute over who first recorded Stack O' Lee. The Ma Rainey version in the early 20's will work.

Led Zeppelin, The Stones, Bob Dylan, The Allman Brothers, Cream, and others covered tunes by old blues cats... Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe McCoy, Robert Johnson, Bukka White, Blind Willie McTell, Blind Willie Reynolds. Gov't Mule, John Mellencamp, Chris Thomas King just a few who have covered the 1927 Blind Wiilie Johnson tune...John the Revelator.

Elvis started off covering tunes by Lonnie Johnson, Big Boy Crudup, Big Mama Thornton and Junior Parker. But who knew, well actually a few did know, because by now things were a bit different.

If you've heard Nirvana do ...In The Pines..that's an old Lead Belly tune, and Kobain is up front about it making it a homage instead of a rip off.

It all goes back to influenses, this guy was listening to that guy who grew up listening to that guy who...... it will always end up way back in the day, back to the days long before recording contracts and MTV, Rolling Stone Magazine and...SOUL TRAIN.

The original (his wife also)

5hucTDV1Fvo

John Mellencamp

m23HuLCT4Q8

Drachen
07-16-2013, 06:46 PM
I have a better handle on the word ancient and the word modern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boanuwUMNNQ

Avante
07-16-2013, 06:57 PM
I have a better handle on the word ancient and the word modern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boanuwUMNNQ

Where's the ancient origin?

Here's an old Georgia White tune covered the great Willy DeVille.

TaKVPtkANek

Drachen
07-16-2013, 06:58 PM
come on almanac... here is some help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_in_the_Jar

Avante
07-16-2013, 07:05 PM
come on almanac... here is some help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_in_the_Jar

Metallica did it no justice, now I see it. The Grateful Dead the way to go there.

Clipper Nation
07-16-2013, 09:23 PM
This thread sucks.... commence the meltdown :lol

ohmwrecker
07-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Thin Lizzy's version is the gold standard. Metallica.s version blows.

Avante
07-16-2013, 09:59 PM
This thread sucks.... commence the meltdown :lol

Don't you ever get bored with that?

Avante
07-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Whiskey Jar.. got me thinking about Uncle Tupelo and this...
zm1t0mwwrbk

ohmwrecker
07-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Whiskey Jar.. got me thinking about Uncle Tupelo and this...
zm1t0mwwrbk

I'm always shocked when you post something good. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often.

Avante
07-16-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm always shocked when you post something good. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often.

You just can't be cool can ya, then ya wonder why I treat ya like I do, but it's me...right?

ohmwrecker
07-16-2013, 10:30 PM
You just can't be cool can ya, then ya wonder why I treat ya like I do, but it's me...right?

That's about as cool with you as I'm gonna get. Take it or leave it.

:lol I don't think about how you treat me, weirdo.

Avante
07-16-2013, 10:34 PM
That's about as cool with you as I'm gonna get. Take it or leave it.

:lol I don't think about how you treat me, weirdo.

Whatever.

Nice little set

8xiX12ChZGA

xLUMmp0tLJA

clnMRT-VK74

ui24C0lT9cw&feature=related

oopuY8Ko01w

XMgrN-ghWH4

If ya weren't suck a punk I could probably turn ya on to a few thousand tunes you've never heard by artists where it's..who? Just like this guy....

Ohpzg3bExdU

About as good as British blues gets (you'd mix this with Tony McPhee, JoAnn Kelly and John Mayall)

Hp1xPKsklyY

THEGOAT
06-01-2014, 01:06 PM
E