PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Worst big market owner...

ElNono
07-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Mark Cuban: master tinkerer... he couldn't stop tinkering even once he had a championship team... dunno if you guys heard this one before, but apparently letting Tyson Chandler go was a bad idea.

James Dolan: while they're improved somewhat since firing D'Antoni, this is a guy that still consults with Isiah Thomas on a regular basis. Keeps burning money with nothing to show for it.

Jim Buss: Since taking the reins of the team he killed his dad, hired a terrible coach, could not retain "the future of the franchise" after getting on his knees, begging and plastering the city with billboards.

Arnold Toht
07-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Jim Buss... no brainer imo

StrengthAndHonor
07-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Any owner who gave Isiah Thomas full front office control wins this.

Leetonidas
07-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Jim Buss killed his father with his management of the Lakers, easy choice imo

Vash StampedE
07-17-2013, 12:39 AM
Cuban. Aspired for Triple D Dynasty. Ended up with what would most likely be Triple DMC. Made D a lonely D.

spurraider21
07-17-2013, 12:49 AM
Jim Buss reminds me of 21st century Al Davis, so the answer is Jim Buss

Venti Quattro
07-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Why is Donald Sterling not in the poll. 2 years of being semi-good and he's better than Cuban?

Venti Quattro
07-17-2013, 12:55 AM
Oh yeah let's not forget that LA is Lakerstown. Well played, ElNono

ElNono
07-17-2013, 12:55 AM
Why is Donald Sterling not in the poll. 2 years of being semi-good and he's better than Cuban?

I left Sterling out because since drafting Griffin, he's been putting the money and they've made big improvements (at least from what was the Clippers standard).

Plus the Clippers have clearly taken a solid foothold as the top NBA team in Los Angeles, which obviously couldn't happen if you were a terrible owner.

usdane
07-17-2013, 12:56 AM

This.

ElNono
07-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Although I admit that perhaps Sterling looks better than he is because the barometer is now Jim Buss, tbh...

jimbo
07-17-2013, 01:09 AM
I can't blame Jimmy. I'd have done the same thing. I'm not hiring my sister's fuck buddy to coach my team AND pay him 10 mil AND give him GM duties. Fuck that. I still think D'Antoni fits if Dwight would have pick and roll'd all day and Pau stopped taking those shitty long jump shots. If they had played Tiago/Tim roles (respectively) they would have been a deadly offensive team.

Dolan has just proved he's awful throughout the years. Gotta give it to him.

spurraider21
07-17-2013, 01:28 AM
I can't blame Jimmy. I'd have done the same thing. I'm not hiring my sister's fuck buddy to coach my team AND pay him 10 mil AND give him GM duties. Fuck that. I still think D'Antoni fits if Dwight would have pick and roll'd all day and Pau stopped taking those shitty long jump shots. If they had played Tiago/Tim roles (respectively) they would have been a deadly offensive team.

pau taking shitty long jump shots = d'antoni offense tbh

LarryDavid
07-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Donald Sterling

Robz4000
07-17-2013, 02:05 AM
The entire Bucks organization tbh.

callo1
07-17-2013, 02:11 AM
Paul Allen

sexinthatsx
07-17-2013, 02:25 AM
this thread should be bumped to include Mikhail Prokhorov when the Nets get a first round playoff exit tbh

mudyez
07-17-2013, 02:26 AM

I get the PJ part and someone could make an argument that D12 wasn't a bad idea, but D'Antoni and the Billboards were just plain stupid.

sexinthatsx
07-17-2013, 02:27 AM
Also, the sad part about Jim Buss is that he listens to what the fans want, which is absolutely worst way to run a franchise

Mark in Austin
07-17-2013, 02:35 AM
Dolan and it isn't even close. Jim Buss might turn out to be a dipshit, but the level of incompetence that Dolan has shown year after year after year gives him the solid win.

whitemamba
07-17-2013, 02:41 AM
OP with the subtle troll job :lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2013, 02:53 AM
maloofs

paul allen needs to be mention, 3rd richest clown in the clown yet doesnt invest in real doctors...lol

-21-
07-17-2013, 03:06 AM
The Knicks being my second team, I hate James Dolan.

Clipper Nation
07-17-2013, 05:48 AM
Dolan by a hair over Jimbo due to the Isiah era, but Jimmy will probably overtake him in the next few years :lol

Venti Quattro
07-17-2013, 06:10 AM
maloofs

paul allen needs to be mention, 3rd richest clown in the clown yet doesnt invest in real doctors...lol

BIG Market. Sacramento is a shithole.

Thread
07-17-2013, 06:15 AM
This has 6 written all over it.

Bynumite
07-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Also, the sad part about Jim Buss is that he listens to what the fans want, which is absolutely worst way to run a franchise

You can't be serious, was he listening when Staples was chanting "We want Phil" at the top of their lungs?

Bynumite
07-17-2013, 08:47 AM
And lol @ not putting Sterling on the list when his resume consists of decades of mediocrity, a 2nd round sweep and a 1st round backdoor sweep :lmao

Captivus
07-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Rings is the unit of measure...theres no other.

Katherine Robinson
07-17-2013, 09:52 AM
And lol @ not putting Sterling on the list when his resume consists of decades of mediocrity, a 2nd round sweep and a 1st round backdoor sweep :lmao

It is quite true that David Stern had done more for the Clippers in a day than Donald Sterling has done for them in 32 years.

jimbo
07-17-2013, 12:47 PM
pau taking shitty long jump shots = d'antoni offense tbh

I actually looked at the shot charts, Pau just wasn't that good anywhere. Duncan actually took more/longer jump shots than Pau, Duncan just knew where his spots were and shot well from there

http://i.imgur.com/mCy2y3C.png

compared to Pau's

http://i.imgur.com/H4Sh16A.png

Pau just sucked man. Looks like he didn't even have a spot on the floor he was really comfortable shooting from, only one real group of shots where he was above average from. Whenever I watched the Lakers I always saw him take those long 2s at the top of the key, I didn't realize he was garbage from just about everywhere.

Hell, look at Diaw's shots from 07

http://i.imgur.com/YRhwyOC.png

Better shot selection tbh. Shitting on Pau

Thread
07-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Rings is the unit of measure...theres no other.

Cap, with the goods. There can be no other twixt men like us. Hardy souls, true students of the measure, all of us, no longer the single orphan/a perfect virgin now sullied and compromised thru 6. We've all been touched. I'm gonna build us a table, a big round table, and around the table a hall and around the hall a castle and around the castle will situate a Whataburger and an In & Out. We'll eat heartily and talk of our feats and failures.

You'll all be knights and I'll be king and Katherine will shave close and be my queen. Brasky? He'll be the court jester.

ElNono
07-17-2013, 01:16 PM
:lol bitching about Sterling not making the cut

Clipperfan is at least looking forward to make some noise next season, and the pieces are there to be excited about their team. Sterling has been a perennially bad owner, but this very summer he managed to keep his top talent, and didn't even need to plaster his face all over LA, tbh...

sexinthatsx
07-17-2013, 04:03 PM
You can't be serious, was he listening when Staples was chanting "We want Phil" at the top of their lungs?

First, Mike Brown was fired. In comes Mike D'Antoni. Jim Buss couldn't afford to bring in Phil even if he wanted to, that means you have to end up paying 3 coaches

Bynumite
07-17-2013, 04:37 PM
First, Mike Brown was fired. In comes Mike D'Antoni. Jim Buss couldn't afford to bring in Phil even if he wanted to, that means you have to end up paying 3 coaches

Wrong.

Lakers fired Brown and this happened while Bernie Bickerstaff took over for a few games and while the Lakers were deciding between Phil and D'antoni:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDSGCPmG0BM

So saying Jim Buss listens to what the fans want is fucking stupid, when he clearly put his ego above the organization when he hired D'antoni instead of Phil.

Captivus
07-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Cap, with the goods. There can be no other twixt men like us. Hardy souls, true students of the measure, all of us, no longer the single orphan/a perfect virgin now sullied and compromised thru 6. We've all been touched. I'm gonna build us a table, a big round table, and around the table a hall and around the hall a castle and around the castle will situate a Whataburger and an In & Out. We'll eat heartily and talk of our feats and failures.

You'll all be knights and I'll be king and Katherine will shave close and be my queen. Brasky? He'll be the court jester.

I see what you did there!!
Rings apply for team, not for players.
A FO has a lot of years to get the players, so that they get them a ring.
Im not losing this battle! Thread!:lol

Rogue
07-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Cuban might be just as bad as the other two but is Dallas a "big" market? it is big compared to San Antonio, but not compared to LA and NY imho. Dallas isn't a basketball city after all, cowboys have always been the #1 sports team in the DFW area through thick and thin.

dunkman
07-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Jimbus is quite bad, tbh.

sexinthatsx
07-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Wrong.

Lakers fired Brown and this happened while Bernie Bickerstaff took over for a few games and while the Lakers were deciding between Phil and D'antoni:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDSGCPmG0BM

So saying Jim Buss listens to what the fans want is fucking stupid, when he clearly put his ego above the organization when he hired D'antoni instead of Phil.

I thought the hiring of D'Antoni was because PJ can't make up his damn mind about whether he wanted to come back or not. The point is, Jim Buss wanted PJ to come back, but jumped the gun by hiring D'Antoni instead. D'Antoni is going to get fired anytime soon because that would just make Jim Buss look weak and would get eaten alive by laker fans, just like Dwight did :lol

Sean Cagney
07-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Sees Knicks and worst, eyes light up and votes......

JMarkJohns
07-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Sarver is owner in sixth largest media market.

It's him and its not even close now that Sterling is spending money.