PDA

View Full Version : Livio Jean-Charles Tears Knee Ligament, Needs Surgery (Update: ACL, out 6 months)

timvp
07-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Per Bruno:

So much for good news, it's coming directly from the French basketball federation:
http://www.ffbb.com/_actu/page_m.php?d=actu&p=actu&id=9780

Livio has a severe right knee sprain that will require a surgery.

A torn ACL is technically a sprain so, yeah, that's probably what he's dealing with.

:depressed

Leetonidas
07-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Over before it even began. What a shame :(

toki9
07-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Wow...first Bertans, now Jean-Charles...what is this?

HankChinaski
07-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Well they were looking at him from a two to three year in the future aspect probably depending on how he developed overseas. If he is to have this kind of injury good to happen now instead of two years down the line when the front office would be considering bringing him over. Wait an see from here on out

dbreiden83080
07-17-2013, 10:27 AM
He wasn't playing for the Spurs for about 10 years anyway..

freetiago
07-17-2013, 10:30 AM
great draft pick

ducks
07-17-2013, 10:37 AM
young enough might recover

Juggity
07-17-2013, 10:38 AM
I know nothing about his game, but I hope it wasn't predicated on athleticism

Poolboy5623
07-17-2013, 10:51 AM
It's all up to d Thomas to save this draft class, now...spurs are lucky he was still on the board...and that he has both acls.

Captivus
07-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Hit the gym and get some muscles in the upper body!

loveforthegame
07-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Like Bertans, hope he recovers from this too.

These injuries suck. :td

DapDaGenius
07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Wow...first Bertans, now Jean-Charles...what is this?

Adam Hanga got injured as well.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOzeDDNCMAAtnca.jpg

ElNono
07-17-2013, 11:03 AM
well, that sucks... luckily he's young. Hopefully he heals and still has a career in front of him

SpurSpurSpurs
07-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Curse of the Spurs. Nothing new here.

TXstbobcat
07-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Damn. All three international stashes are injured now.

Bruno
07-17-2013, 11:19 AM
There were some reports saying that his cruciate ligaments were fine so either there were wrong or it could be something else like a tear meniscus. Regardless of what the exact injury is, there are reasons to be optimistic about a recovery given the recent improvements with knee surgeries.

And 4 players (jean-Charles, Bertans, Hanga and Lorbek) whose NBA rights are owned by Spurs will have or have had a more or less serious knee surgery in about a month. Add to that Denmon breaking his foot few months aga and Spurs are definitively not lucky with their overseas players.

Atl Spur
07-17-2013, 11:21 AM
He is 19; better now than later. You tend to have quicker recovery times while young. And tbh, acl injuries are almost common place for pro athletes! I remember when tommy John injuries were a career ender for major league pitchers; not so much now.

TXstbobcat
07-17-2013, 11:42 AM
We weren't going to see him in a spurs uniform until 2016.

ducks
07-17-2013, 11:43 AM
hopefully he will watch spurs basketball while he is recovering so he can get the concept what they want him to do
spurs have lots of film

Budkin
07-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Awesome. :tu

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-17-2013, 11:48 AM
With advancement in surgery, these injuries are no longer career ending. If anything, they actually make your ligament stronger with the fibers they sew in with the ligaments to make it stronger.

Its better for these kids to get these injuries now then later because their knee ligaments will be stronger and more durable by the time they are even considered by the Spurs for a roster spot.

Atl Spur
07-17-2013, 12:03 PM
The crazy thing is that truthfully speaking he probably would have gone lottery next year! And then you add Thomas,pretty good draft to say the least!

coyotes_geek
07-17-2013, 12:03 PM
great draft pick

Clearly the Spurs need to quit drafting players who intend on getting injured.

playblair
07-17-2013, 12:12 PM
blair dominated 2 30/20 games with no acls.................... ljc/bertans will be steals....................................

toki9
07-17-2013, 12:31 PM
And 4 players (jean-Charles, Bertans, Hanga and Lorbek) whose NBA rights are owned by Spurs will have or have had a more or less serious knee surgery in about a month. Add to that Denmon breaking his foot few months aga and Spurs are definitively not lucky with their overseas players.

Unreal...did we switch teams with Portland or something?

ducks
07-17-2013, 12:33 PM
people mavs drafted a player and got injured asp also

Solid D
07-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Per Bruno:

A torn ACL is technically a sprain so, yeah, that's probably what he's dealing with.

:depressed

There were some reports saying that his cruciate ligaments were fine so either there were wrong or it could be something else like a tear meniscus. Regardless of what the exact injury is, there are reasons to be optimistic about a recovery given the recent improvements with knee surgeries.

Yeah. We are all just speculating until more is known about the injury and surgery. It could include any of the 4 ligaments or the menisci, which are cartilage.

LakerHater
07-17-2013, 03:52 PM
OH SHIT! Id take a torn ACL over a toren Meniscus!

sananspursfan21
07-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Hit the gym and get some muscles in the upper body!

needs muscle in the lower body.. that's typically a chicken-legged injury

Gino-Step
07-17-2013, 03:59 PM
The reason these guys get injured more often is because Spurs are now drafting more and more freaks. Like lean and athletic, with abnormalities such as super long arms, skinny legs, high vertical etc. A Kawhi, Jean-Charles, Bertans are just straight up more likely to get injured than if you draft the Carlos Boozer types.

You want ridiculous length + height + skinnier side so they can be versatile and mobile? Well you end up with an AK47, Bertans, type guy that is a freak but much more prone to injuries as they play a more explosive game and are just genetically freakier.

Chinook
07-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Players tear their ACLs all the time in many different sports. It's not that big of a deal, especially if he has no history of knee injuries.

Solid D
07-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Players tear their ACLs all the time in many different sports. It's not that big of a deal, especially if he has no history of knee injuries.

...unless you've torn your own ACL.

wildbill2u
07-17-2013, 04:08 PM
He looked very skinny and not too strong in vids I saw. He has time to grow into a man's body and legs. Hopefully this won't be too serious but could get his attention as to how valuable his body is to his career and that he must work to build up muscle mass that will protect him.

Chinook
07-17-2013, 04:23 PM

I'm not saying that it's not a major injury. But people are freaking out like his career is over. It's not. He's much more likely to play a long career than he is not never recover. I don't have to have torn my own ACL to know that.

From what I hear, the biggest thing about the injury nowadays is that players lose trust in their repaired knee, and it can take a long time for them to get it back. In the interim, they overcompensate with their other leg, which can lead to them injuring that knees. So long as Jean-Charles takes his time coming back, he should be fine.

Solid D
07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm not saying that it's not a major injury. But people are freaking out like his career is over. It's not. He's much more likely to play a long career than he is not never recover. I don't have to have torn my own ACL to know that.

From what I hear, the biggest thing about the injury nowadays is that players lose trust in their repaired knee, and it can take a long time for them to get it back. In the interim, they overcompensate with their other leg, which can lead to them injuring that knees. So long as Jean-Charles takes his time coming back, he should be fine.

Based on that explanation, I get your intended thought process.

Chinook
07-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Based on that explanation, I get your intended thought process.

As I said in the Jean-Charles draft thread, I'm more concerned that this will hurt his chances to becoming a three in the NBA. He already lacked agility. This won't help him, even though this isn't going to damn him either.

I'd honestly be worried if it's the meniscus, though. That pretty much puts his career on a time-clock.

Libri
07-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Wish him the best in his recovery.

picnroll
07-17-2013, 05:02 PM
As I said in the Jean-Charles draft thread, I'm more concerned that this will hurt his chances to becoming a three in the NBA. He already lacked agility. This won't help him, even though this isn't going to damn him either.

I'd honestly be worried if it's the meniscus, though. That pretty much puts his career on a time-clock.

Wrong. In the Nike Summit scrimmages and game he could stay in front of Wiggins. Exum and Parker. He's very agile, quick feet, quick lateral movement, quick jumper and way above average body control for his size.

BatManu20
07-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Murphy's Law

Samr.
07-17-2013, 06:29 PM
At least he won't lose both his ACLs. I heard you can't even make it to the NBA with that....

spurraider21
07-17-2013, 06:33 PM
torn acl's have become decreasingly serious. recovery from them in the sports world has become routine is recent years

Bill_Brasky
07-17-2013, 06:37 PM
All our big injuries happen to prospects these days. Sucks, we drafted some nice young talent too.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Drafting a player with ACLs to begin with was the Spurs first mistake. I'm surprised they didn't scout this one better.

Solid D
07-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Lol

Holden_Caulfield
07-17-2013, 07:46 PM
saved us some cap room in the next few years.

slick'81
07-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Very tough break luckily he's still a young pup

jehawk81
07-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Wish him a super fast recovery... Let's keep Jean-Charles in prayer ST family

jag
07-18-2013, 12:01 AM
This is what happens when you draft guys from overseas and leave them at home to play in barns and abandoned Soviet-era school buildings with concrete floors.

Solid D
07-18-2013, 12:22 AM
This is what happens when you draft guys from overseas and leave them at home to play in barns and abandoned Soviet-era school buildings with concrete floors.

LoL ...so, you're saying he stepped on a barn owl or something?

Darkwaters
07-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Not good news. But it could definitely be much worse. This isn't a Javtokas type event or anything. That was horrifying.

Sean Cagney
07-18-2013, 12:58 AM
saved us some cap room in the next few years.

For what? The Spurs don't any big names.

TheGoldStandard
07-18-2013, 01:00 AM
For what? The Spurs don't any big names.

For Bonners loyalty deal.

racm
07-18-2013, 01:33 AM
Drafting a player with ACLs to begin with was the Spurs first mistake. I'm surprised they didn't scout this one better.

:lol

Sean Cagney
07-18-2013, 01:51 AM

FUCK BONNER.. That is all.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Not good news. But it could definitely be much worse. This isn't a Javtokas type event or anything. That was horrifying.

That was Shawn Livingston type of injuries there.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-18-2013, 07:00 AM

Seriously, considering his age, the most Bonner will get next year is the Vet minimum. Depending if the Spurs keep Diaw or not, that would be a bad deal to keep him on the roster for that price.

Darkwaters
07-18-2013, 07:14 AM
That was Shawn Livingston type of injuries there.

Livingston was pretty terrible. And it happened on the court with recorded footage and everything. But with Javtokas I remember them saying he might not ever walk again. Now, we all know that he was able to make a more-or-less full recovery and plays professionally today. But hes never been the same, and that end result was by no way assumed...or hardly even hoped for. We just hoped the guy would be ok to have a normal life in general. Basketball career be damned.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Livingston was pretty terrible. And it happened on the court with recorded footage and everything. But with Javtokas I remember them saying he might not ever walk again. Now, we all know that he was able to make a more-or-less full recovery and plays professionally today. But hes never been the same, and that end result was by no way assumed...or hardly even hoped for. We just hoped the guy would be ok to have a normal life in general. Basketball career be damned.

I know Javtokas got in a Motor cycle accident and sustained multiple serious life threatening injuries. Livingston completely tore his knee, I think he tore every ligament in his knee. I was just making the point that compounded injuries like Livingston and Javtokas usually are going to be career ending, well at least prohibit a player at playing at a high level again. ACL, MCL etc have proven, especially over the past 3-4 years, proven not be (but the use to).

Raven
07-18-2013, 08:52 AM
i don't think the timetable for a severe knee sprain is the same as for a completely torn acl, not to mention, the first one (according to my limited knowledge) can hardly limit the player's agility. i think he'll be fine in 3-4 months.

Darkwaters
07-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I know Javtokas got in a Motor cycle accident and sustained multiple serious life threatening injuries. Livingston completely tore his knee, I think he tore every ligament in his knee. I was just making the point that compounded injuries like Livingston and Javtokas usually are going to be career ending, well at least prohibit a player at playing at a high level again. ACL, MCL etc have proven, especially over the past 3-4 years, proven not be (but the use to).

Agreed. Both were horrible.

MHFs4a-Bb-c

dallasmaverickslose
07-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Well.... Who could we be drafting next year?

cjw
07-18-2013, 12:18 PM
people mavs drafted a player and got injured asp also

Exactly - better to have your guys get injured who are still NOT on your NBA roster. Using up a precious roster spot + cap concerns = not ideal. Hopefully these guys all rehab fine and get their chance down the road.

playblair
07-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Well.... Who could we be drafting next year?

marcus smart :toast .....................

realistic picks = Przemek Karnowski C 7'1"; 305 lbs............ Aaron Craft PG 6'2"; 195 lbs...........................LeBryan Nash SF 6'7"; 220 lbs.............

Darkwaters
07-18-2013, 12:35 PM
marcus smart :toast .....................

realistic picks = Przemek Karnowski C 7'1"; 305 lbs............ Aaron Craft PG 6'2"; 195 lbs...........................LeBryan Nash SF 6'7"; 220 lbs.............

My guess:

Antonovich Pietre Vusajisicic

playblair
07-18-2013, 12:40 PM
My guess:

word..................

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker%2FWIzAdudBSQK7zpboT3dX_tyler%20laughing %20hard%20gif.gif

TheGoldStandard
07-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Seriously, considering his age, the most Bonner will get next year is the Vet minimum. Depending if the Spurs keep Diaw or not, that would be a bad deal to keep him on the roster for that price.

lol, Spurs don't care about age.. He'll get a 2 year deal worth 13 million..

TheGoldStandard
07-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Doesn't matter who they draft, they'll be overseas for 6 years.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Anyone know if he's already had the surgery?

Spur|n|Austin
07-22-2013, 11:03 PM

No kidding, my torn ACL ended my football career. Never the same after.

Bill_Brasky
07-23-2013, 01:10 AM
My guess:

playvusajisicic

DrSteffo
07-23-2013, 02:53 AM
I hope they draft an american next year. Anderson, Gist, Hairston, McClinton all would dominate in the NBA if given a chance, contrary to the international scrubs we have drafted. Face it, Parker, Ginobili and also Splitter were late draft picks for a reason: they are not american! Our best players like Bonner, Blair and Neal are all american. They are so tough and skilled, contrary to those players with strange names like Tony Parker and Tim Duncan.

ducks
07-23-2013, 03:24 PM
yeah because Americans never break anything

Bruno
07-26-2013, 11:32 AM
TP said that Livio Jean-Charles will be out 6 months.

link (http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/Actualites/Parker-annonce-un-seul-ailier/388587)

Juggity
07-26-2013, 11:43 AM
TP said that Livio Jean-Charles will be out 6 months.

link (http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/Actualites/Parker-annonce-un-seul-ailier/388587)

That's not too bad at all, considering how devastating ACL injuries can be

benefactor
07-26-2013, 11:45 AM
:tu

raybies
07-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Pierre Jackson signed with asvel... When do they start playing again?

Darkwaters
07-26-2013, 12:34 PM
I hope they draft an american next year. Anderson, Gist, Hairston, McClinton all would dominate in the NBA if given a chance, contrary to the international scrubs we have drafted. Face it, Parker, Ginobili and also Splitter were late draft picks for a reason: they are not american! Our best players like Bonner, Blair and Neal are all american. They are so tough and skilled, contrary to those players with strange names like Tony Parker and Tim Duncan.

Really weak troll effort or sarcasm? I'm unsure.

I'm absolutely certain nobody is this stupid.

DrSteffo
07-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Really weak troll effort or sarcasm? I'm unsure.

I'm absolutely certain nobody is this stupid.

Yeah nobody here ever suggested that the Spurs must draft an american instead of an international player with a "strange name".

Darkwaters
07-27-2013, 02:10 AM
Yeah nobody here ever suggested that the Spurs must draft an american instead of an international player with a "strange name".

Weak troll

DrSteffo
07-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Weak troll

Mad muppet :)

Bruno
07-27-2013, 02:25 PM
I just listen to a TP press conference where he said that Livio tore his cruciate ligaments. Given the surgery and 6 months recovery time, it can only be an ACL tear.

playblair
07-27-2013, 02:38 PM
:wakeup

Bruno
08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Livio Jean-Charles had his ACL surgery today and is out for 6 months.

Some details:
- The surgery was made in Lyon by Dr Bertrand Sonnery-Cottet, a well known french surgeon. One of Spurs doctor was there.
- He will have the first stage in a rehab center in France and end it in San Antonio.

Link (in French):
http://www.eurosport.fr/basketball/pro-a/2013-2014/proa-villeurbanne-jean-charles-opere-a-lyon_sto3897199/story.shtml

cd021
08-26-2013, 01:18 PM

International scouting was really in its infancy in 01' and 02' we really got lucky. I'm not sure Splitter's circumstances but i'd imagine the reason why a former league MVP of the Spanish league (considered second to the NBA) went at 27th was because he was 22 and had a contract that made it difficult to bring him over for a couple of seasons.

Most GMs and teams, really, can't afford to let a 1st round pick stay over seas so long. The Spurs did and it payed off.

Brazil
08-26-2013, 04:07 PM

:lmao

the bold part is my favourite

racm
08-26-2013, 09:23 PM
He'll be back before D-Rose tbh.

DrunkTXLabrat
08-26-2013, 09:48 PM
:wakeup

lol

DrunkTXLabrat
08-26-2013, 09:51 PM
playblair blair didn't have the acls, but at least he was a draft and play.

draft and stash ain't looking so nice lately. let's hope nando bumps up the curve.

DrunkTXLabrat
08-26-2013, 09:54 PM
and hairston would be an awesome pick up... don't let all the hate get you down DrSteffo

DrSteffo
08-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Yeah let's go after a Hairston caliber player in next year's draft. At least we can all pronounce his name contrary to crazy names like "Tony" or "Manu".