PDA

View Full Version : Report: Donyell Marshall agrees to sign with Cavs??

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-19-2005, 04:34 AM
I read it on Lakersground, it had a NYPOST link but im not gonna register

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Do you have the link? I don't see that article.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-19-2005, 04:38 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/50126.htm

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 04:49 AM
if true....BUMMER!!

timvp
07-19-2005, 04:50 AM
It doesn't sound true ... but I can't access the site.

Weird.

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 04:55 AM
Perhaps to force the situation to a conclusion, the Nets yesterday increased their courtship of Memphis free agent power forward Stromile Swift. But after the Nets received assurances from Abdur-Rahim that he wanted to play in New Jersey, Swift signed with Houston. The Nets' third power-forward option, Dontyell Marshall, agreed to terms with Cleveland.
i guess it's true.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Hmm.. it's not on any other website. Maybe they have inside info.

constantstate
07-19-2005, 04:57 AM
i guess it's true.
its also on the cav's forum (on the plain dealer website) but there's no news story attached to it there but the one from ny.

timvp
07-19-2005, 04:59 AM
If true, it gives the Cavs the shooter and the starting power forward they needed. Marshall has always been a Spurs favorite, so I guess that perception rubbed off on Ferry.

But I wonder what they will do at point guard. They were supposedly going after Jaric, Daniels, Watson or Saras as the PG solution.

Guess not.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-19-2005, 05:17 AM
May I make a suggestion.

Rasho for Gooden and Luke Jackson.

Tony/Beno/Barrett?
Manu/Brent/Saunders (If Devin isn't resigned, if he is, he's there)
Bruce/Jackson/Johnson
Tim/Gooden/Horry (Horry then takes the backup role in the playoffs)
Nazr/Oberto

IR. Sean Marks?

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 05:27 AM
IR. Sean Marks?

I think sean marks already said he was going to play in Europe next year.

May I make a suggestion.

Drew Gooden for Rasho? That would be a pretty stupid trade.

The_Game
07-19-2005, 05:30 AM
If true, it gives the Cavs the shooter and the starting power forward they needed. Marshall has always been a Spurs favorite, so I guess that perception rubbed off on Ferry.

But I wonder what they will do at point guard. They were supposedly going after Jaric, Daniels, Watson or Saras as the PG solution.

Guess not.

they still have the money to go after saras...they wouldn't spend all their money on Marshall when they need a PG

xcoriate
07-19-2005, 05:50 AM
They probably gave him slightly over the MLE I would think...

How much would that leave them to spend?

The_Game
07-19-2005, 05:53 AM
they had 6 million to spend i believe after the Z signing

so it's hard to tell

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2005, 08:03 AM
May I make a suggestion.

No you may not, that trade sucks.

Gooden is softer than Rasho and Luke Jackson hasn't really proven he's good for anything more than towel waving.

Good move by Ferry.

JUUOT
07-19-2005, 08:10 AM
ferry is really doingit. putting a correct team together to support lebron.
if a slightly better than average PG is added it is looking good for cavs.
give them one year to freeze all the change and they become title contender

boutons
07-19-2005, 08:13 AM
"they becone title contender"

will they have a title-contending level of a coach?

JUUOT
07-19-2005, 08:16 AM
you got me there boutons. but lebron does not need a coach does he ? :lol

boutons
07-19-2005, 08:22 AM
LeBron's talent needs to be channeled and used to the benefit of team and winning, which requires coaching.

As good as he might be, Mike Brown has never been a head coach, never mind having coached any NBA team to/through the playoffs.

Cavs/Brown will not get out of the EC next season against the at least as-talented and much more playoff-experienced Heat/SVG, Pistons/Chip, Pacers/Rick.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Well, Danny Ferry is proving himself pretty adept so far, although I think they should have thrown some of that Larry Hughes money towards a point guard.

Boutons is right, there's a good amount of talent on this team but it remains to be seen if Mike Brown has what it takes to make it gel. They'll make the playoffs for sure this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got boucned out in the first round either.

Spurologist
07-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Wow. Gilbert's $$ and Ferry's direction seems to be a good combination for the cavs. Definately look for cavs in the playoffs next season. You can almost pencil in Ferry as a GM of the year condidate barring a successful cavs season.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 10:21 AM
There's no report of this being true on any wires or anything. So the NY Post might be misinformed .. or might have inside info. I guess we have to wait and see.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2005, 10:23 AM
If all that Marshall wants is the MLE, that's interesting. Unless, of course, he wants it for 5 years...

mrose31
07-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Sorry Kori about post I am trying to actually work today and did not check earlier post.

Ocotillo
07-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Was reading the Houston Chronicle at lunch today and it says the Cavs are taking a looksie at Damon Stoudamire. I would be very suprised if that came to fruition. Ferry is going to be a very good GM in this league.

T Park
07-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Cleveland Plain Dealer, per ESPNEWS

is reporting Donyell Marshall signed a 4 year contract.

Streakyshooter08
07-19-2005, 02:53 PM

I still hoped he would join the Spurs... seems like he will really end up with the cavs. I wonder who they want to play at PG...

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 03:05 PM

Interesting. From what I see, the Plain Dealer is getting it from the NY Post.

If it goes through, great pick up for Danny/Cavs.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-19-2005, 05:19 PM
question:

how is it that the cavs are picking up good solid free agents after just 1.4 months of having danny ferry

and we're struggling to fill a back up sf spot we've needed for the past 2 seasons

sungo99
07-19-2005, 05:29 PM
question:

how is it that the cavs are picking up good solid free agents after just 1.4 months of having danny ferry

and we're struggling to fill a back up sf spot we've needed for the past 2 seasons
I'm sure it has nothing to do with CLE having eleventy billion dollars in cap room.

clubalien
07-19-2005, 06:31 PM

because cavs have
1:)cap space
2:)lebron
3:)ferry
4:)THEY DON'T HAVE POP!!!!!

milkyway21
07-20-2005, 03:48 AM
it's true. and what a BIG move for the Cavs. Now I can smell playoffs for them...

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/8658922
Cavs continue retooling effort, add veteran Marshall
July 19, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CLEVELAND -- Free agent forward Donyell Marshall agreed to terms Tuesday on a four-year contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers, giving the rebuilt club another player to complement LeBron James.

Advertisement

Marshall, an 11-year-veteran who played for the Toronto Raptors last season, was courted by a handful of teams before reaching an agreement with the Cavaliers, said his agent, Andy Miller.

"We look at this as an opportunity to join a team that could win an NBA championship real soon," Miller said.

Miller would not disclose financial parameters of the deal.

Marshall is the third significant player signed by the Cavs this summer and probably not the last. The club, which was $28 million under the salary cap, is expected to officially re-sign All-Star center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and sign guard Larry Hughes on Friday when the free agent signing period begins.

The Cavs are also looking for a point guard and have reportedly talked with the agents for Marko Jaric and Damon Stoudamire.

Donyell Marshall gives the Cavs another perimeter threat. (Getty Images)
Coming off the bench last season, the 32-year-old Marshall averaged 11.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and shot a career-best 42 percent on 3-pointers for the Raptors. The Cavs are desperate for outside shooting to offset teams collapsing on Ilgauskas or double- and triple-teaming James.

Marshall has averaged 12.4 points and 7.3 rebounds over his 11-year career, and despite being 6-foot-9, he has made 35 percent of his 3-pointers.

In 2003-04, Marshall was the only player in the NBA to rank in the top 25 in rebounds (9.9), blocks (1.5) and 3-point percentage (.403).

A star at Connecticut, Marshall was selected with the No. 4 overall pick in 1994 by Minnesota, which traded him after one season to Golden State for Tom Gugliotta.

He played six seasons with the Warriors before being traded to Utah. Marshall also played for Chicago.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Sense
07-20-2005, 04:16 AM
because cavs have
1:)cap space
2:)lebron
3:)ferry
4:)THEY DON'T HAVE POP!!!!!

Yeah but the Spurs have...

3 championships..

WITH POP!

TheTruth
07-20-2005, 04:19 AM
question:

If Spurs had that much cap room, and that many roster holes to fill we would be signing some of the same players.

Championship Team + No cap room = Quiet Summer