PDA

View Full Version : Nets get Shareef WITHOUT sign-and-trade

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 04:57 AM
Nets get their guy to agree for less
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1121753430144740.xml&coll=1

The Nets got their man yesterday, and it was only because Shareef Abdur-Rahim is less greedy than his former employer.

The free-agent forward agreed to accept the lesser of two contract offers yesterday -- a five-year deal that will total $27 million to $30 million -- after the Nets failed to negotiate a better contract in a sign-and-trade scenario with the Portland Trail Blazers.

The agreement, which cannot be announced until Friday -- ostensibly the day the new collective bargaining agreement is signed -- was confirmed by agent Aaron Goodwin, whose 28-year-old client is expected to step right into the Nets' starting lineup at power forward.

After two weeks of enlisting the Trail Blazers' help in trying to land Abdur-Rahim a better deal, one based on a $4.9 million trade exception, both the Nets and Goodwin grew tired of waiting. The Trail Blazers continue to demand second-round draft pick Mile Ilic along with the trade exception as compensation, which would enable the Nets to give Abdur-Rahim a six- year, $38 million contract.

But if necessary, he will settle for the midlevel exception, the extra fund that capped-out teams can use for free agents, which calls for a starting salary of $4.9 million to $5.2 million, and can be stretched out over a maximum of five years.

Reached by phone in the early afternoon, Abdur-Rahim said a move was imminent.

"The only holdup has been the Portland-New Jersey thing, and I think they're going to talk more," he said. "But before the day is out, Aaron and I will talk. Something else could develop."

It developed only a few hours later, when Goodwin informed Nets officials that his client is willing to play for the midlevel exception.

The deal is a major triumph for team president Rod Thorn, general manager Ed Stefanski and coach Lawrence Frank, who were relentless in their recruitment of the former All-Star. But while they are now able thumb their noses at Portland, which gets nothing for their departing player, the Nets are still hoping to get Abdur-Rahim the extra year before their trade exception expires July 29.

Before Abdur-Rahim's announcement, Portland GM John Nash maintained that it wasn't going to happen if the Nets continue to offer nothing but a future second-round pick along with the trade exception.

"It's Ilic or no deal," Nash said. "(Blazers president) Steve Patterson talked to Rod today and stated that position. It's not like we're denying Shareef an opportunity to make a living. We played him extensively at the end of the season, and probably assisted him in regaining his value.

"At some point, (the Nets) have to realize they're getting Shareef at a reasonable amount of money for a reasonable price. There has to be give and take. If they feel it's unreasonable, that's their prerogative. It's also ours to say we won't change our position, so either they come around or don't."

Nash added that it's "a gamble on our part" if Abdur-Rahim settled for the midlevel, which leaves the Blazers with nothing. He lost that gamble, and one Eastern Conference GM found the Blazers' tactic "absurd ... all they're doing is screwing him out of $8 million. He was a good soldier for them, and this is the way they treat him?"

The Nets, meanwhile, gain a superbly talented forward, a career 20-and-10 man until he played a reduced role in Portland, and essentially one of the most under-the- radar players of his generation. Though he may only be a fourth option on a team that already includes two stars (Jason Kidd and Vince Carter) and a potential star (Richard Jefferson), Abdur-Rahim can help turn the Nets into one of the most formidable offensive teams in the league, with quality scorers at every position.

The one drawback is that the Nets can no longer use their midlevel exception on Keyon Dooling, their second target. Though they can still use the trade exception -- or a piece of it, anyway, as Dooling figures to be worth about three years and $9 million -- there is no guarantee that Miami will be amenable to a sign-and-trade deal.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-19-2005, 05:01 AM
Well with Marshall and Shareef gone, maybe we can resign big dog to backup Bruce

constantstate
07-19-2005, 05:01 AM
SARs really wanted to go to NJ... he wasnt going to let portland screw it up for him. His agent did his job and at least got him everything he could, for him to be where he wanted to be.

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 05:17 AM
Does this make the Nets a contender out east? They should have a pretty damn god offense.

timvp
07-19-2005, 05:19 AM
Damn, Thorn just owned Portland. I didn't think Shareef would sign for the MLE and leave $8M on the table. Portland called Thorn's bluff but then SAR swooped in accepted the offer.

Props to SARS and Thorn for winning this bluff contest.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-19-2005, 05:22 AM
Does this make the Nets a contender out west? They should have a pretty damn god offense.

Out west?

A contender out east? Maybe, but not a serious one.

AI-square
07-19-2005, 05:22 AM
Kristic, Kidd, Carter, Jefferson and Abdul Rahim? Sure sounds a good team in the East..

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 05:25 AM
Out west?

A contender out east? Maybe, but not a serious one.
My bad. Meant east.

2pac
07-19-2005, 07:15 AM
The Nets are now my favorite team in the lEast

1Parker1
07-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Wow, East is shaping up. First the Cavs, now the Nets...That is one sick offensive lineup the Nets have with Kidd, SAR, RJ, and VC. Their defense remains suspect.......

JUUOT
07-19-2005, 07:44 AM
marshall is gone where? GINOBILIIIIIII?

CosmicCowboy
07-19-2005, 07:50 AM
If the Nets could just use that trade exception to get Kidd some new wheels they might really be dangerous.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Thorn got SAR without giving up anything to Portland and without giving SAR more than the MLE for 5 years. He pretty much left Nash and SAR covered in "man seed"...

Spurologist
07-19-2005, 08:31 AM
Hear that song? vBookie Cash is on the radio.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 08:47 AM
It sounds like a good starting lineup, but what about their bench? Phoenix had a great starting lineup last year, but that wasn't good enough. Teams need at least three solid bench players. The bench was a big part to the Spurs championship run.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-19-2005, 08:53 AM
*Does vBookie dance*

Seriously, not many people thought SAR would go the route he did and Portland got Kobe'd.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Their starting five look good on paper but when you factor in that Vince Carter will break something six weeks into the season like he always does and the fact that Kidd is getting too old to carry the team the way that they're asking him to this team is a little less scary. They'll be a five seed in my projection.

Mr. Body
07-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Damn, Thorn just owned Portland. I didn't think Shareef would sign for the MLE and leave $8M on the table. Portland called Thorn's bluff but then SAR swooped in accepted the offer.

Actually, Portland didn't call Thorn's bluff. Because Thorn wasn't bluffing. He knew SAR would come for whatever money was available. It was Portland who screwed themselves and screwed SAR out of an extra contract year. The other loser is Goodwin, SAR's agent, who actually thought he could squeeze more money for his player, not understanding what his desires were.

It was pretty clear in the last week this is what would happen, if you looked correctly.

td4mvp3
07-19-2005, 09:12 AM
well, there went that vbookie bet. what happened to marshall?

Pistons < Spurs
07-19-2005, 09:21 AM
New Jersey scares me a little.

Kidd
Carter
Jefferson
Rahim
Krstic

Krstic is a legit 7ft'r who in his rookies season last year averaged 10pts 5 rbs in only 25 minutes a game. When he was starting early in the yerar, he was getting more like 18 & 9

The team is still trying to land Keyon Dooling to limit Kidd to 30 min a game.

They drafted Antoine Wright (Texas A&M) who I think is going to be a really solid player

Zoran Planinic is a 6-7 pg they drafted last year who has alot of potential IMO

They have good size in servicable big men Jason Collins 7ft 255 & Mile Ilic 7-1ft 230 who they drafted this year.

They also have:

Jacque Vaughn.....not great, but has played fairly well in the L for a few years...should be able to give 12-15 solid minutes

Ron Mercer---the guy is injured every year, but when healthy is a very solid scorer.

It will be interesting to see how they do this year. They have alot of the right pieces, only question is can they put it together and get it done. They will not be a great defensive team, but have good rebounding and size. And offensively, they will have a lot of weapons to contend with.

benjirh
07-19-2005, 09:27 AM
My understanding is that the S&T is not dead. I am guessing that NJ and SAR are making it known that he will sign for the MLE to encourage Por to take the trade. Both NJ and SAR want for the trade to happen, and I have a hard time seeing Por pass up a future 2nd (which I read elsewhere was a 1st) round pick. So I still think there will be a S&T.

BruceBowenFan
07-19-2005, 09:47 AM
damn

benjirh
07-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Ford is reporting on espn that they are close to the trade. So which one is it?

Horry For 3!
07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Nice, I just want some Vbookie on this then since he signed with the Nets. :)

Brutalis
07-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Too bad Kidd will lose the hype for them.

If NJ was smart they'd deal Kidd.

SequSpur
07-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Great.........

Another solid player going to an Eastern Conference Rival, meanwhile the Spurs keep signing foreigners.......

Another chapter......

Sense
07-19-2005, 11:35 PM
...to the Spurs for Parker

moron.