PDA

View Full Version : Nets: OFFICIAL NETS: TOSBs or Contenders? Thread

Calispursfan11
07-17-2013, 11:10 PM
I think they are actually leaning toward being contenders as old as they've become with the offseason moves. But the chemistry will be key. As we've seen before, it sometimes takes months to a year, or possibly never (i.e. Lakers) for new guys no matter how talented to gel. Assuming the ability to gel quickly, maximum production and minimum primadonna issues, these guys could possibly challenge the Heat in the East. Thoughts?

illusioNtEk
07-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Never under estimate veterans.. Year after year vets always prove themselves.

KG and Pierce will be huge for this team.... Can't wait till the season starts! Will be getting nba league pass

jeebus
07-17-2013, 11:22 PM
1st round fodder if they're healthy. 1st round rape if they're not.

spurraider21
07-17-2013, 11:22 PM
if only Kidd was their backup pg and not head coach. they should have hired Karl

Calispursfan11
07-17-2013, 11:25 PM
if only Kidd was their backup pg and not head coach. they should have hired Karl

Kidd's dui conviction gives him street cred with the players tbh. Regardless of all else, this can only help.

Thread
07-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Shit bags. They'll be propped up by Media as long as humanly possible.

Calispursfan11
07-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Bold but pretty extreme prediction Jeebus. I mean, who would they be going up against in the East that would pummel them that hard unless they go in as a 7 or 8 seed?

Calispursfan11
07-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Shit bags. They'll be propped up by Media as long as humanly possible.

I was considering this but then they have D Williams and Lopez who are good enough on their own although arguably not superstar caliber. With the addition of the aging but still useful Celtic core, I think they will do some damage. But something about this team still nags at me and tells me it won't turn out as well as the Niet FO predicts.

StrengthAndHonor
07-17-2013, 11:35 PM
They have a 1 year window. This year. That's it IMHO. The Heat are due to fizzle out, 3 straight NBA Finals trips will do that to you. I mean, they all looked drained as of last season already. The Nets must take this opportunity because the Pacers are the only team that will be standing in their way and after this years "lay off", I think Miami will reinforce and come out strong again in 2015.

Chemistry wise, KG and Pierce will fit like a glove. They are vets who just wants to win. Ego's in check, they will give Brooklyn something they lack all along, which is veteran presence and a real closer in Pierce.

I'm not so worried about Kidd coaching the Nets, he's a natural leader and when he slips up, the real coach (Frank Lawrence) has plenty of experience to guide Kidd, and I know Jason will listen, they have a great relationship.

It's way too early to tell, but I'm not really confident with that team. The biggest question mark is still Deron Williams. he's been missing ever since he parted ways with Jerry Sloan. If he replicates his best season with the Jazz, then I'll have them reaching the Finals.

whitemamba
07-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Kidd will fuck it up somehow.

Thread
07-17-2013, 11:37 PM
^I'm still waiting for & EXPECTING James to hit his stride, his peak. If that happens, it's going to be difficult displacing them anytime soon. You know into that MJ mode where it's impossible to beat him, and you know it.

StrengthAndHonor
07-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19320), that's true. He's almost there and after the "elimination" next year, Lebron and whoever his choice of sidekick is will come back to conquer the league for a few more taps. Only a matter of time.

Calispursfan11
07-17-2013, 11:44 PM
^I'm still waiting for & EXPECTING James to hit his stride, his peak. If that happens, it's going to be difficult displacing them anytime soon. You know into that MJ mode where it's impossible to beat him, and you know it.

Woe be unto the rest of the league should this happen...

whitemamba
07-17-2013, 11:45 PM

Sure yeah, it's right there, but he only played like that Jordan esque mode for like 5 maybe 6 quarters that series... He really has no J... _ames

Thread
07-18-2013, 12:17 AM
Woe be unto the rest of the league should this happen...

...& he's close to it....he just not smart enough to recognize it & grasp it. Just isn't as driven & blood drunk as Jordan was.

He was very pedestrian in these past playoffs.

Rogue
07-18-2013, 01:17 AM
They ain't challenging the Heat with their bald headed coach locked behind bars up until Christmas and piece of crap Joe Johansson commanding 20m cap space, but they're still gonna finish on the upper half of the playoff table because the East is so weak in general. They will cruise to the 2nd round over the dead corpse of Chicago (w/o Rose) or Atlanta, but will have little chance against Miami or Inddy (with Granger converted into another star player of similar caliber that fits the team better). A subway matchup between NY and Brooklyn will be a toss-up and the only chance for Brooklyn to further advance imho.

TDMVPDPOY
07-18-2013, 02:01 AM
they still have deron, that clown will lead them to nothing

Baam
07-18-2013, 02:10 AM
Contenders imo but the coach is the biggest question mark...

Clipper Nation
07-18-2013, 05:51 AM
TOSB's with a joke coaching staff.... their ceiling if healthy is a second round exit, imho....

racm
07-18-2013, 06:29 AM
The M:lolvs were too old in 2011 and look what happened...

Of course, the Nets don't have a Dirk going bananas.

Calispursfan11
07-18-2013, 07:49 AM
The M:lolvs were too old in 2011 and look what happened...

Of course, the Nets don't have a Dirk going bananas.

But they do have http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/871/841/116389578_display_image.jpg?1328183675 ratface...

AchillesHeel
07-18-2013, 08:11 AM
ECF if they don't have to face Heat/Indiana in the semis IMO.

Calispursfan11
07-18-2013, 08:44 AM
ECF if they don't have to face Heat/Indiana in the semis IMO.
I was thinking the same thing. I mean, who else is there? It's Niets, Heat and Indiana. Am I missing someone? Oh, maybe the Knicks but maybe not.

jimbo
07-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Kidd's dui conviction gives him street cred with the players tbh. Regardless of all else, this can only help.

If you can beat a woman you can beat a ...team?

Calispursfan11
07-18-2013, 09:12 AM
If you can beat a woman you can beat a ...team?

Apparently yes.

benefactor
07-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Won't be healthy tbh.

Thread
07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
It's going to be an African American fire drill.

Buddy Mignon
07-18-2013, 10:10 AM

You are what you are after 10 years in this league. If Riley is smart he breaks the piggy bank keeping serious talent around James. James is served best as a front runner. He'd be at square one if Pop wasn't so fucking stupid.

Buddy Mignon
07-18-2013, 10:11 AM
It's going to be an African American fire drill.

Lol... help me out with that one?

jeebus
07-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Bold but pretty extreme prediction Jeebus. I mean, who would they be going up against in the East that would pummel them that hard unless they go in as a 7 or 8 seed?
They have absolutely no bench. Pierce and KG played with a pass first PG; now they're playing with a scoring PG and won't get nearly as many touches. Lopez is Big Z reincarnated, foot problems and all. Deron has been in "fuck it" mode since he got his jersey retired.

Miami, Indy, Chicago wil take the top seeds, setting up the Nets(if they even make the playoffs) for a ass raping. Nyets = fucked.

mudyez
07-18-2013, 01:10 PM
ONE YEAR contender (not better than MIA or IND but I wouldn't be shocked if they come out of the East either).

JamStone
07-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Legitimate contenders. They have balance, size, depth, flexibility, bench scorers, defensive versatility. While they traded for two much older veterans in KG and Pierce, they didn't trade for them with the idea that they had to carry the team or play heavy minutes. Deron Williams and Brook Lopez are still young and still two of the main guys on offense. Joe Johnson is getting towards the tail end of his prime but he's not too old yet. And they have enough depth on the bench where no one has to play heavy minutes. I think they'll be really good defensively. The biggest issues to me are obviously the coaching, and also how Deron, Joe Johnson, and Pierce work together offensively. Does Pierce end up becoming basically a spot up shooter? Can Deron sacrifice enough shots to make everyone happy? Can Joe Johnson add more slashing to his game to help diversify the offense?

The talent is there. Health will be a concern for some of the guys but no one should be over extended in terms of minutes or even in terms of being asked to play if they have even minor injuries. They have enough depth to allow guys like KG and Pierce to sit out games every now and then.

They aren't guaranteed to beat Miami. Miami still holds the crown. But there isn't another team in the Eastern Conference that has more talent or balance or depth. I like them going to the ECF easily and having a chance against Miami. Not a great chance, but a chance.

Deron Williams / Shaun Livingston
Joe Johnson / Jason Terry
Paul Pierce / Andrei Kirilenko
Kevin Garnett / Reggie Evans
Brook Lopez / Andray Blatche

AaronY
07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Legitimate contenders. They have balance, size, depth, flexibility, bench scorers, defensive versatility. While they traded for two much older veterans in KG and Pierce, they didn't trade for them with the idea that they had to carry the team or play heavy minutes. Deron Williams and Brook Lopez are still young and still two of the main guys on offense. Joe Johnson is getting towards the tail end of his prime but he's not too old yet. And they have enough depth on the bench where no one has to play heavy minutes. I think they'll be really good defensively. The biggest issues to me are obviously the coaching, and also how Deron, Joe Johnson, and Pierce work together offensively. Does Pierce end up becoming basically a spot up shooter? Can Deron sacrifice enough shots to make everyone happy? Can Joe Johnson add more slashing to his game to help diversify the offense?

The talent is there. Health will be a concern for some of the guys but no one should be over extended in terms of minutes or even in terms of being asked to play if they have even minor injuries. They have enough depth to allow guys like KG and Pierce to sit out games every now and then.

They aren't guaranteed to beat Miami. Miami still holds the crown. But there isn't another team in the Eastern Conference that has more talent or balance or depth. I like them going to the ECF easily and having a chance against Miami. Not a great chance, but a chance.

Good analysis..I think they can beat Miami though if they grt good luck abd stay healthy, the Heat really struggled against Indiana and SA and this will be for their fourth consecutive season with an extended playoff run..they're gonna be pretty worn out at the end of it

Venti Quattro
11-29-2013, 10:37 PM

Damn JamStone you're one of the pillars of the NBA Forum but surely the Nets are surely making you look bad!!

jeebus
12-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Lopez is Big Z reincarnated, foot problems and all.

:wakeup

Calispursfan11
12-21-2013, 03:32 PM
TOSBs