PDA

View Full Version : Oden High on Popovich

Tbiggums47
07-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Good insight into The Oden's Camp Mindset in selecting a team.:lobt2:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/53974690

HI-FI
07-18-2013, 09:39 PM
aren't we loaded at CEnter though? don't we need Small Forwards and shit?

TheGoldStandard
07-18-2013, 09:47 PM
aren't we loaded at CEnter though? don't we need Small Forwards and shit?

Yes and therefore the Spurs will sign him.

silverblk mystix
07-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Wait til he finds out that Pop will play Bonner over him....lol.

TheGoldStandard
07-18-2013, 09:48 PM

He spreads the floor.. don't worry He's working on his 3 ball.

70th Week
07-18-2013, 10:00 PM
So, what is the holdup? Put your John Hancock on the dotted line, son.

Asshole
07-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Oden has been smoking Pop?

Sean Cagney
07-18-2013, 10:09 PM

Ditch Bonner and let Neal go, sign Oden and bring in Desaun Thomas as a backup F, call it a SUMMER!

I wish.

dbestpro
07-18-2013, 10:10 PM
The nightlife in San Antonio will not suffice for Oden.

TheGoldStandard
07-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Ditch Bonner and let Neal go, sign Oden and bring in Desaun Thomas as a backup F, call it a SUMMER!

I wish.

Breaking News: RC Buford will resign Gary Neal and talks of a new contract for Matt Bonner are in the works.

BatManu20
07-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Still doubt he comes here. Miami's gotta be heavy favorites.

Sean Cagney
07-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Breaking News: RC Buford will resign Gary Neal and talks of a new contract for Matt Bonner are in the works.

:lol, would you doubt it though? I would not.

spurraider21
07-18-2013, 10:25 PM

Chip will teach Oden the corner 3

Robz4000
07-18-2013, 10:28 PM
So this means he's not coming...

jehawk81
07-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Him & LeBron gotta be the fastest-aging niggas I've ever seen,

Tbh

Spursfan092120
07-18-2013, 10:46 PM
"Oden is high on the Spurs because of Gregg Popovich's pattern of preserving his best players. Pop is famous, and infamous, for giving Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili extended rest, once even keeping Duncan out of a game completely because the future Hall of Fame forward was "old." As a result, Duncan looked fresh and rejuvenated once the playoffs began.
With the Spurs, Oden could get spot duty behind Duncan and Tiago Splitter and be allowed to progress at a slower pace, and being with a contender would be a bonus. He has spoken with the Spurs twice already."

They don't talk near as much about Miami in here.

siraulo23
07-18-2013, 10:48 PM
He's not coming to San Antonio

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2013, 10:52 PM
A healthy(1) Oden and the Spurs have two bigs on the court at all times. Own the paint, own the glass, and 3 point shooters scattered around the perimeter.

(1) Every 4 seasons for 20 minutes.

Russ
07-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Oden is such a cynical tool, this must mean he's getting negative vibes from Miami.

That said, I'd gladly taken Oden for a modest contract and hope (against all odds) that he could regain his form.

purist
07-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Y'all think manu is injury prone and yet you want oden?

Sean Cagney
07-18-2013, 11:23 PM

I pretty much agree with you.

Tbiggums47
07-18-2013, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=Sean Cagney;6767726]I pretty much agree with you.[/QUOTE) I disagree with you both......The article tends to point favor to The Spurs.

caŽlo
07-18-2013, 11:35 PM
At least we got another number one pick

ducks
07-18-2013, 11:39 PM
I really hope he picks spurs
oden would be perfect
I also think it would lite a fire under splitter to be more aggressive. ENOUGH SOFT stuff

Sean Cagney
07-18-2013, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=Sean Cagney;6767726]I pretty much agree with you.[/QUOTE) I disagree with you both......The article tends to point favor to The Spurs.

We have seen this before! WE HAVE! Then he signs somewhere else for more money or runs to the sexy choice which is Miami.

CitizenDwayne
07-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Hmm...I think Artest was also very high on Pop

Tbiggums47
07-18-2013, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=Tbiggums47;6767731]

We have seen this before! WE HAVE! Then he signs somewhere else for more money or runs to the sexy choice which is Miami. You make a good point....Strange enough? I agree.....

Tbiggums47
07-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Hmm...I think Artest was also very high on Pop LOL!

monkeypunk
07-19-2013, 12:16 AM

spurs10
07-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Team with 1 SF, 1.5 PGs, AND 6 SGs, 6 bigs.....???

Sean Cagney
07-19-2013, 12:24 AM
Team with 1 SF, 1.5 PGs, AND 6 SGs, 6 bigs.....???
SPURS!!!!!!!!

Capt Bringdown
07-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Oden must love the way Pop showers money upon broken down players, ala Manu.

skulls138
07-19-2013, 12:28 AM
aren't we loaded at CEnter though? don't we need Small Forwards and shit?Is "shit" part of the cool slang these days? If so, what does it mean, point guard or something?

skulls138
07-19-2013, 12:30 AM
The nightlife in San Antonio will not suffice for Oden.Please. You think with all of his injuries, he's worried about a night life? If Oden stays healthy his injuries could have made him hungrier.

NickiRasgo
07-19-2013, 12:58 AM
I think there's nothing wrong with signing with this guy if there's a trade brewing. I think Bonner will attract other team to trade for him because of his expiring contract.

spurs10
07-19-2013, 12:58 AM
SPURS!!!!!!!!
:toast Gotta laugh sometime! Kawhi is probably thinking 'wtf!'

TheGoldStandard
07-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Matt Bonner will always be a Spur.. waiting for the Spurs to give him a lifetime deal.

SpurPadre
07-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Matt Bonner will always be a Spur.. waiting for the Spurs to give him a lifetime deal.

And he'll forever haunt us and be an annoying prick by doing false retirings like Brett Favre did to the Packers. He'll keep playing for us until he's 42, then he'll be the future Spurs head coach. The guy won't fucking go away.

Vic Petro
07-19-2013, 01:11 AM
In a vacuum I'd love to have Oden for the minimum. But yeah, barring a trade, I don't see how he'd fit given the current roster construction.

TheGoldStandard
07-19-2013, 01:18 AM
And he'll forever haunt us and be an annoying prick by doing false retirings like Brett Favre did to the Packers. He'll keep playing for us until he's 42, then he'll be the future Spurs head coach. The guy won't fucking go away.

His jersey will be retired.

SpurPadre
07-19-2013, 01:40 AM

And the stadium will also be named after him with a statue of him in the front entrance. Also, the deranged kid who has his face as a haircut will eventually become the owner of the team and look to get Bonner's son drafted by any means necessary.

Sean Cagney
07-19-2013, 02:05 AM

If his Jersey gets retired I will forever want someone to get up there and burn that shit down!

spurs10
07-19-2013, 02:19 AM
Bonner sets NBA record for the most years with one team "Even though he played for others at times early on, Matt Bonner is 73 and still going strong with the Spurs. 'I'll probably go when Gregory retires. His grandfather Manu used to be a teammate of mine.' When asked about his favorite job with the organization, he doesn't say player or head coach, surprisingly enough. 'Probably nutritionist was my favorite. I had those guys really beefing themselves up with hoagies, po-boys, subs, you name it, in the sandwich-like variety of foods.'"

007nites
07-19-2013, 02:48 AM
Then he will beg for an extension with New Balance.

Man In Black
07-19-2013, 03:18 AM
It'd be fine if he decided to don the Silver & Black but I think he'll tell the sports world how much he admires the Spurs, that they are a World Class organization and it would be amazing to play alongside Tim Duncan and for Coach Pop...

But he's taking his talent to South Beach.

Bruno
07-19-2013, 03:35 AM
From the article:

"The most important factor is finding a place that's conducive for him to be healthy and come along slowly," said Conley. "A place that doesn't need him to make an impact right away. He wants to play and contribute, but there's certain a way to do that."

This quote from Oden's agent really explains why Spurs are mentioned as one of the front runner for Oden. With Duncan/Splitter/Baynes at center, a coach truly caring about the health of his players and the low pressure of a small market, Spurs are a great fit for what Oden is looking at.

milkyway21
07-19-2013, 04:59 AM
From the article:

This quote from Oden's agent really explains why Spurs are mentioned as one of the front runner for Oden. With Duncan/Splitter/Baynes at center, a coach truly caring about the health of his players and the low pressure of a small market, Spurs are a great fit for what Oden is looking at.

plus low profile lifestyle, less media scrutiny while he's just starting to play again..

One call from TD might make up his mind :lol

milkyway21
07-19-2013, 05:05 AM
The world was a different place the last time we saw Greg Oden play professional basketball. Bin Laden was still alive and hiding, Tim Tebow was the best quarterback in the country, no one heard of an iPad and a teenager named Justin Bieber was only a mild curiosity
I wonder if Tim Tebow was already in the U.S. or still in Makati, Philippines at that time ... :)

kind of so long ago

boutons_deux
07-19-2013, 05:23 AM
If we get Oden, he'll get hurt and be out for the season, a huge waste of time, energy, a distraction. Let's do it and get it over with.

milkyway21
07-19-2013, 05:36 AM
If we get Oden, he'll get hurt and be out for the season, a huge waste of time, energy, a distraction. Let's do it and get it over with.

but he's cheap, he's worth the risk, I think.

Kidd K
07-19-2013, 05:38 AM
Y'all think manu is injury prone and yet you want oden?

Spurs wouldn't be over-relying on Oden for an extremely important, potentially game-costing role should he screw up or get injured.

Oden getting hurt and getting paid a really marginal amount compared to Ginobili in a much more marginal role doesn't matter as much as Manu getting hurt while getting paid several times as much money with no reliable backup for his position since the Spurs for some reason did not acquire one despite it being our most needed piece going forward.

boutons_deux
07-19-2013, 05:45 AM
but he's cheap, he's worth the risk, I think.

how is is the premium on his high-risk injury insurance?

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2013, 06:55 AM
From the article:

Didn't he have that more or less in Portland? I can see the weight of his history there being such that it was time for him to leave. Still, Portland wouldn't have cut him unless they were certain he was done. Oden is selling a lotto ticket now and some GMs are thinking about handing over the dollar.

Tbiggums47
07-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Still doubt he comes here. Miami's gotta be heavy favorites. From article:

"With the Spurs, Oden could get spot duty behind Duncan and Tiago Splitter and be allowed to progress at a slower pace, and being with a contender would be a bonus. He has spoken with the Spurs twice already."

Seventyniner
07-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Spurs wouldn't be over-relying on Oden for an extremely important, potentially game-costing role should he screw up or get injured.

Oden getting hurt and getting paid a really marginal amount compared to Ginobili in a much more marginal role doesn't matter as much as Manu getting hurt while getting paid several times as much money with no reliable backup for his position since the Spurs for some reason did not acquire one despite it being our most needed piece going forward.

SG is the Spurs' deepest position, and the Spurs did acquire one (Belinelli).

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-19-2013, 08:12 AM
I wouldn't be surprised, if Oden is a Spur this year. He has the most opportunity for growth and rehabilitation coming to the Spurs and from the article it looks like he knows this. If he is 100% committed to getting his career on track, the SAS is the place he should go. With the Spurs you never know what they are doing. All we heard this week was Conley and Riley texting this week, when actually Oden himself was actually talking with RC and possibly Pop already this week as well.

Heath Ledger
07-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I can't believe that anyone would take a chance with Oden at this point.

Tbiggums47
07-19-2013, 09:30 AM
I can't believe that anyone would take a chance with Oden at this point.Low risk---HIGH REWARD! Bottom line.....Who better than Spurs to take the risk.

TheGreatYacht
07-19-2013, 09:34 AM
In a vacuum I'd love to have Oden for the minimum. But yeah, barring a trade, I don't see how he'd fit given the current roster construction.Just release Baynes or keep him in the D league as insurance to Oden. Kind of harsh because I like what Baynes has done in the summer league but business is business. We already have Diaw, Pendergraph, and Bonner off the bench.
Didn't he have that more or less in Portland? I can see the weight of his history there being such that it was time for him to leave. Still, Portland wouldn't have cut him unless they were certain he was done. Oden is selling a lotto ticket now and some GMs are thinking about handing over the dollar.You're forgetting that Portland is cursed. Players blow their knees form some reason when they wear a Trailblazers jersey.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1003134_344259862373958_1929332032_n.jpg

Vic Petro
07-19-2013, 09:40 AM
I can't believe that anyone would take a chance with Oden at this point.

It's hardly a risk if you pay him the minimum and aren't relying on him for any sort of meaningful role.

MarCowMar
07-19-2013, 09:58 AM
If Oden could give us five quality minutes a game in the playoffs--just to make the other team adjust tactics--he'd be worth signing. He could sit the whole regular season and still be worthwhile.

Bonner is our regular season slasher--a murderer of lazy and disorganized defenses.

dbestpro
07-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Please. You think with all of his injuries, he's worried about a night life? If Oden stays healthy his injuries could have made him hungrier.

It was one of the major complaints by him while in Portland.

"For starters, Portland isn't a great city to live in if you're a young, African American male with a lot of money," - Greg Oden

peacemaker885
07-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Funny. I can still remember when we can't get enough big guys..

xmas1997
07-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Funny. I can still remember when we can't get enough big guys..

Don't count your chickens yet, we still haven't got him here yet, although I hope we do and he becomes less accident prone and has a long productive successful career here.

cjw
07-19-2013, 10:42 AM
He could play the George Hill role here for the ladies

rjv
07-19-2013, 10:53 AM
MSNBC is reporting that NO is offering oden a 2 year deal

Budkin
07-19-2013, 10:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/B7jelmk.jpg

Vic Petro
07-19-2013, 11:02 AM
It was one of the major complaints by him while in Portland.

"For starters, Portland isn't a great city to live in if you're a young, African American male with a lot of money," - Greg Oden

Since then he has come clean about drinking and partying too much. Supposedly not priorities for him anymore.

Russ
07-19-2013, 11:12 AM

I'm sure Portland was thrilled with the whole experience (including the "lot of money") also.

superbigtime
07-19-2013, 11:32 AM
I guess I wouldn't mind Oden signing, but he will play sparingly and just as he is finding his way, he will re-trash his knee.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-19-2013, 11:39 AM
i'd almost rather have pittman than oden. but it's like somebody said. he's selling a lottery ticket. the gambler in me wants to see the spurs shell out the buck.

Kidd K
07-19-2013, 11:41 AM
SG is the Spurs' deepest position, and the Spurs did acquire one (Belinelli).

I know we have a lot of SGs, problem is most of them can't really do much offensively besides shoot it or haphazardly rush the basket ineffectively. :P

I was referring to Ginobili being our only real playmaker and ballhandler besides Tony Parker. We're only 2 deep for "real" playmakers. It's been our biggest weakness for a long time. I am reading that I said "position" though when I should've said "role". Sorry for the confusion there.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-19-2013, 12:04 PM
I know we have a lot of SGs, problem is most of them can't really do much offensively besides shoot it or haphazardly rush the basket ineffectively. :P

I was referring to Ginobili being our only real playmaker and ballhandler besides Tony Parker. We're only 2 deep for "real" playmakers. It's been our biggest weakness for a long time. I am reading that I said "position" though when I should've said "role". Sorry for the confusion there.

cory joseph will get major run this coming season. and i'd expect him to make some plays. additionally... mills, decolo, and beli will have chances to show what the've got. pair that with great white baynes and project pendergraph lurking in the paint for put backs. that's a deep reservoir of plays to be made.

oden would be just another shark circling the basket. ready to soar outta the water and feast on a brick.

SpursDynasty21
07-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Oden could be a nice fit for the Spurs. He could also help out long-term, if he's healthy. Baynes/Oden/Splitter could be the big men after Duncan retires. Although, I would like to see the Spurs try to get a star big man eventually to replace Duncan after he retires.

CGD
07-19-2013, 12:38 PM
If the Spurs are actually interested in this guy (met with him twice), then it points to them really not being done off-season. They're at 14 guaranteed deals, and I don't think the Spurs just let Neal walk. You'd have to think they need to clear at least one more roster spot. Otherwise they're put in a tough spot in negotiations for a sign and trade deal involving Neal. I really hope there is legs to the Blair to Wiz rumor.

Budkin
07-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Would LOVE it if we were to get Oden. Talk about low risk high reward.

Vic Petro
07-19-2013, 01:01 PM
"For starters, Portland isn't a great city to live in if you're a young, African American male with a lot of money," Greg explained with an embarrassed grin. "But that's especially true if you don't have anybody to guide you. Since I was hurt the entire season, I was on my own a bunch and didn't have veteran teammates around to help me adapt to the NBA lifestyle."

During the ensuing offseason, a much-needed period of self-reflection gave Greg the incentive to pull out of his rut. He stopped drinking, hired a chef to cook him healthy meals, and worked himself into the best shape of his life. Everything looked like it would pay off in the 2009-10 season — in his first 20 games, he averaged 11.7 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks in less than 25 minutes a game. He was becoming the dominant center we had always expected him to be.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7908766/a-rare-interview-former-no-1-overall-pick-greg-oden-injury-plagued-career

BatManu20
07-19-2013, 01:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPdyZ1OCYAARtDA.png:large

Kingsly Alexander
07-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Oden would our version of Bill Russell on a very comparable Boston Celtics team, to our Spurs

Vic Petro
07-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Oden would our version of Bill Russell on a very comparable Boston Celtics team, to our Spurs

Maybe Russell in style of play but I was thinking more Bill Walton in terms of holding your breath every time he jumps.

Kingsly Alexander
07-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Oden could be a nice fit for the Spurs. He could also help out long-term, if he's healthy. Baynes/Oden/Splitter could be the big men after Duncan retires. Although, I would like to see the Spurs try to get a star big man eventually to replace Duncan after he retires.

I personally like the idea of that rotation, but I think Splitter would have to go to allow a very offensive oriented 4 to take Timmy's place, comsidering his comtract. doesn't have to be a cornerstone player, but a good volume scorer who can mix it up.

Lamarcus Aldridge would be a hell of a player to have here in SA post-Duncan

Kingsly Alexander
07-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Maybe Russell in style of play but I was thinking more Bill Walton in terms of holding your breath every time he jumps.

I got my Bill's confused, but yeah that's, exactly who I meant

Lol, yeah definitely. the pros and cons for those two two are unparalleled.

BatManu20
07-19-2013, 01:50 PM

raybies
07-19-2013, 02:02 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7908766/a-rare-interview-former-no-1-overall-pick-greg-oden-injury-plagued-career
Great article. I agree with those that say he would fit here.

Maybe signing deshaun gets it done.

raybies
07-19-2013, 02:05 PM
I personally like the idea of that rotation, but I think Splitter would have to go to allow a very offensive oriented 4 to take Timmy's place, comsidering his comtract. doesn't have to be a cornerstone player, but ya good volume scorer who can mix it up.

Lamarcus Aldridge would be a hell of a player to have here in SA post-Duncan

Greg monroe

monkeypunk
07-19-2013, 02:30 PM

Was that PTR article written by ST's Bruno?

If so, nicely done!

Kingsly Alexander
07-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Greg monroe

And the pistons might not have enough money to resign him in two yrs if they plan on keeping Drummond and the rest of their young core.

Bruno
07-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Was that PTR article written by ST's Bruno?

If so, nicely done!

It's not me.

tesseractive
07-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Didn't he have that more or less in Portland? I can see the weight of his history there being such that it was time for him to leave. Still, Portland wouldn't have cut him unless they were certain he was done. Oden is selling a lotto ticket now and some GMs are thinking about handing over the dollar.
Oden won't blame the Blazers staff himself, but the Grantland interview from last year (which is admittedly biased since he would only agree to be interviewed by a guy he know from way back) suggests (well, mostly speculates) that the front office and medical staff were more concerned with getting him back on the court sooner than with ensuring that he had a long and successful career.

Kidd K
07-19-2013, 04:13 PM
cory joseph will get major run this coming season. and i'd expect him to make some plays. additionally... mills, decolo, and beli will have chances to show what the've got. pair that with great white baynes and project pendergraph lurking in the paint for put backs. that's a deep reservoir of plays to be made.

oden would be just another shark circling the basket. ready to soar outta the water and feast on a brick.

I like Joseph since he has better control over the ball, but he's pretty timid and seems to have a very limited offensive game. That worries me, but at least he isn't prone to repeatedly screwing up over and over which is good. Mills I always kinda liked, but he's never gotten much of a shot with us during NBA games.

I'm cool with adding Oden for minimum. The risk of him barely playing is high, but because of the cost, the dedicated money makes it fairly low risk for a really high potential reward. I do think he's been injured so often that he can't expect much more than absolute minimum. It won't cost us much

Vic Petro
07-19-2013, 05:57 PM
If NO really offers 2 years I bet that's where he winds up.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/6554552-128/pelicans-reportedly-offer-greg-oden

milkyway21
07-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Greg monroe:tu

I like this player but I doubt if Detroit will give him up.
Monroe 2012-13 season- 23 yrs old, 16.0 points, 9.6 rebounds and 3.5 assists, with the points and assists career highs

But if Oden can really start playing even for a limited min. I'm for it. What if his return is now for good?

They were questioned about signing Blair before(torn ACL) "How can DeJuan Blair play without an anterior cruciate ligament in either knee?" But it worked.

Russo21
07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
When is he going to decide? Please sign here Mr. Oden and don't drag the decision out too long. Spur fans want you here.

xmas1997
07-20-2013, 09:10 AM
When is he going to decide? Please sign here Mr. Oden and don't drag the decision out too long. Spur fans want you here.

But the real question is: does the Spurs FO want Oden here?

Russo21
07-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Who knows what goes on in the F/O heads they are an enigma trapped inside a riddle. I know Spur fans want him here and will cheer him on and cherish any effort he is ever able to put in for us on the court. This is the perfect system and team and fans to make your comeback with. Please sign here Greg it will be fucken wickid

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2013, 09:43 AM
One wonders what the expectation is for signing Oden. Is it that he rehabilitates for an additional year and then is ready to take a shot at playing in the 2014-15 season? Or is he going to be ready to play regular bench minutes in the upcoming season? At some point he will have to see the court to be of any value to the team.

Vic Petro
07-20-2013, 10:31 AM
One wonders what the expectation is for signing Oden. Is it that he rehabilitates for an additional year and then is ready to take a shot at playing in the 2014-15 season? Or is he going to be ready to play regular bench minutes in the upcoming season? At some point he will have to see the court to be of any value to the team.

I think off the bat he's not even in the rotation and only plays in practice and when Pop rests bigs. Then you see where he is later in the season and if his performance/health warrants a larger role, you give it to him. Can't keep the guy in a glass box forever.

BatManu20
07-20-2013, 12:59 PM

Spursfan092120
07-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Word is he's leaning towards the Mavs or Spurs. per WOAI

spursfan4ever
07-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Word is he's leaning towards the Mavs or Spurs. per WOAI

Why are the ponies listed before our Spurs? Is that in some order like his choice right now is _allas? I don't get why these FA like Greg Oden wouldn't want to play with and learn from a current HOF? Does anyone know how much that Cuban ass can offer Greg Oden?

Spursfan092120
07-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Why are the ponies listed before our Spurs? Is that in some order like his choice right now is _allas? I don't get why these FA like Greg Oden wouldn't want to play with and learn from a current HOF? Does anyone know how much that Cuban ass can offer Greg Oden?
Probably a lot. And rumor is that Oden is their top FA right now. And they're not necessarily before us...they're both his top choices.

Bruno
07-28-2013, 11:27 AM

spursfan4ever
07-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Seeing pics with Oden and Eric Spoelstra at a restaraunt doesn't help me believe that Oden is picking Spurs over cHeat. Maybe I'm thinking a little too much over those pics but it looks like to me he will pick the cHeat this week. I hope I'm wrong. Wish there was pics of Pop, Timmy and Oden circling around the rumorville. I wonder if Timmy contacted Oden to recruit him over? lets see what happens.

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Don't know if this has been posted or not. I wonder how good a relationship Duffy has with the Spurs FO, would you know, Bruno?

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...n-due-in-days/

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS — His workouts complete, his guests leaving in some mixture of intrigued and wary, sidelined center Greg Oden could choose the NBA team with which he’ll attempt his latest comeback as soon as Monday, one of his agents said Friday.

Six teams are believed to have scouted the 7-footer — the No. 1 pick in the 2007 Draft who has played a total of 82 games in six years due to multiple knee injuries — in workouts in Oden’s native Indianapolis, including Miami, New Orleans, Sacramento, San Antonio, Atlanta and Dallas.

Agent Bill Duffy declined to reveal details, but said contract talks have ranged from general conversation to more specific terms, as the teams consider both the rewards and the risks of signing a premier talent whose body, thus far, has been unable to withstand the rigors of NBA play.

“Physically, he’s awesome,” Duffy said Friday afternoon. “We’re very happy with where he is. [His health and impact are] going to depend on monitoring him and his minutes.”

Oden, 25, has not played in an NBA game since Dec. 5, 2009. Four days earlier, in his final full performance for Portland against Miami, he had 13 points, 20 rebounds and four blocked shots in 30 minutes.

In 61 games in 2008-09 and 21 the next season, Oden averaged 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 22.1 minutes while shooting 57.7 percent. He has had three microfracture knee surgeries, which might dissuade teams from offering more than a veteran’s minimum salary, perhaps with appearance-driven incentives.

Another of Oden’s agents is Mike Conley, Sr., whose son is a point guard for the Memphis Grizzlies and a friend from their days together in high school and college. Mike Conley Jr. told Sean Deveney the Sporting News this week that he thinks Oden, in spurts, might be able to help a team.

“I expect him to come back and be someone who in short periods of time can dominate a game,” Conley said. “Just let him build up and get back to himself. I think it would be a little unfair to put him out there and give him 40 minutes.”

The NBA has a checkered history of players who have managed to return from career-threatening injuries. Miami president Pat Riley recently talked about players such as Kurt Thomas and Zydrunas Ilgauskas, both of whom were hampered for several seasons by foot problems, yet revived their careers through rehab. Guard Shaun Livingston, now with Brooklyn, is another whose NBA days seemed in 2007 after a leg injury captured in a gruesome YouTube video.

But Oden’s teammate in Portland, Brandon Roy, was unsuccessful in a comeback attempt last fall with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Houston’s 7-foot-6 Yao Ming ultimately was forced into retirement at age 30 in 2011 by chronic foot fractures.

The best spot for Oden to land? That likely depends on a team’s balance sheet, its risk tolerance and its commitment to patience and modest results. The teams showing interest in Oden run the gamut, from the NBA’s two-time defending champions in Miami and perennial contenders in San Antonio, to lottery teams last season in New Orleans, Sacramento and Dallas. Atlanta, too, is in the midst of an overhaul and shopping.

Portland, the team that drafted Oden over No. 2 Kevin Durant six years ago and paid him more than $23 million for the equivalent of one season’s production, apparently is not interested. Curiously, a team missing from the list of six is Phoenix, which has one of the most respected training staffs in the league that’s been a draw for ailing players such as Grant Hill and Jermaine O’Neal.

Should Oden reach a deal with Miami, the spotlight on him will be hotter than with any of the other five. He’ll risk being seen as something of a front-runner, as he would to a lesser extent with the Spurs. Then again, Miami took a similar flyer on Eddy Curry without much clamor and facilitated Chris [Birdman] Andersen‘s return as a valuable contributor who never rocked the Big Three boat of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

Any of the teams lower in the pecking order — the Pelicans, Kings, Hornets or Hawks — could offer more modest expectations. And if Oden were to stay healthy and help one of them, he might find himself with more supporters nationally and globally than he would by jumping aboard the Miami or San Antonio bandwagons.

“We’ve looked at all the scenarios,” Duffy said Friday. “There might be less pressure if he tries this with a team that’s rebuilding. Then again, the quality of the medical staff will matter. Maybe a winning team has chemistry that’s good or his role would be clearly defined.”

Oden’s choice, assuming he picks from among multiple offers, will affect not only his NBA future but the number of people rooting for him to have one.

loveforthegame
07-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Great. So we have to wait all week for him to choose the Heat. :td

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Great. So we have to wait all week for him to choose the Heat. :td

Hopefully not all week, hopefully Monday sometime. I'm tired of waiting.

BatManu20
07-28-2013, 01:24 PM

Sean Cagney
07-28-2013, 01:35 PM

Okay whatever we can end speculation now and move on lol. He will chose either team IMO, Pelicans if he needs the dough or the Heat if he wants a shot at a title.

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 01:35 PM

Damn, this just isn't the Spurs year, it would be nice to come out on top in something.

stxspurs
07-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Can we finally stop thw oden talk now.

jon123spurs
07-28-2013, 01:37 PM
CIA Pop. Make them think he's signing with MIA or NO and them BANG signs with Spurs on the last second.

TXstbobcat
07-28-2013, 01:46 PM
And it's time time move on to the next free agent rumor.

Hoops Czar
07-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Damn, this just isn't the Spurs year, it would be nice to come out on top in something.

I'm sure they're close or at the top of teams who have been rumored to be interested in so and so. That has to count for something.

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm sure they're close or at the top of teams who have been rumored to be interested in so and so. That has to count for something.

:nope The only good things about being "close" are in horse shoes, hand grenades, and limited thermal nuclear weapons!
Sorry, it just does not suffice.

TheGreatYacht
07-28-2013, 02:24 PM
God damn it... that SOB is just like everyone else. They prefer pu$$y and $$$ over playing for a humble and winning organization such as the Spurs. If that fucker chooses the cHeat over us, I hope he breaks his ACL's and retires for good. I wish I can take these tweets with a grain of salt but I'm just not that type of person :(.I'm not just pissed at Oden, I'm pissed at all the players that always pass up the Spurs. Could the Spurs FO recruiting negotiations or lack thereof have anything to do with this matter? Maybe Pop & Duncan have given up as personal recruiters? These are all questions that unfortunately we will never have answers too.

dallasmaverickslose
07-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm not just pissed at Oden, I'm pissed at all the players that always pass up the Spurs. Could the Spurs FO recruiting negotiations or lack thereof have anything to do with this matter? Maybe Pop & Duncan have given up as personal recruiters? These are all questions that unfortunately we will never have answers too.

Funny, it seems that our team has done pretty darn well without nabbing big name FA's.

Tbiggums47
07-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Damn, this just isn't the Spurs year, it would be nice to come out on top in something.Read a lot of the Miami Blogs...They've been stonewalled also in regards to Oden's intentions......Its just like reading this board...Nobody knows anything for certain...Jus sayin! LOL!

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Read a lot of the Miami Blogs...They've been stonewalled also in regards to Oden's intentions......Its just like reading this board...Nobody knows anything for certain...Jus sayin! LOL!

Maybe so, but the latest reports have him most intrigued with Miami and N.O.

BackHome
07-28-2013, 03:28 PM
This is his last payday.......HE IS GOING FOR THE $$$$$$$$$$$$

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 03:34 PM
This is his last payday.......HE IS GOING FOR THE $$$$$$$$$$$$

To be perfectly honest with you, as well as realistic, I can't say that I blame him, I would probably do the same if I were in his shoes. Money like that is hard to turn down. You would think that since he's already made a bundle, he would make the smart choice, but after all is said and done, he is only 25. How many of us made smart competent choices when we were 25, rather than the flashy choices?

dbreiden83080
07-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Oden to the Heat would just be hilarious..

He has not ever seen the court in his pro career and he will head to the Heat to chase down a ring.. :lol

Vic Petro
07-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Not sure why anyone would be pissed at Oden for choosing either Miami or NO. Spurs are a great option for him but so are those teams. Miami offers most everything San Antonio does, and NO offers more money. It's not like he'd be taking less money to play for the Thunder or Lakers.

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Not sure why anyone would be pissed at Oden for choosing either Miami or NO. Spurs are a great option for him but so are those teams. Miami offers most everything San Antonio does, and NO offers more money. It's not like he'd be taking less money to play for the Thunder or Lakers.

I, for one, would not be pissed, rather I'd be disappointed, however I would not be surprised. At this point what actually would surprise me due to his age and maturity level is if he chooses the Spurs. I would not bet on it at this point.

Vic Petro
07-28-2013, 04:00 PM
I, for one, would not be pissed, rather I'd be disappointed, however I would not be surprised. At this point what actually would surprise me due to his age and maturity level is if he chooses the Spurs. I would not bet on it at this point.

Id be disappointed as well because he would be a nice wild card to have on the team. However it seems some believe SA is far and away the best option and he'd be greedy going anywhere else. I don't see it that way.

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Id be disappointed as well because he would be a nice wild card to have on the team. However it seems some believe SA is far and away the best option and he'd be greedy going anywhere else. I don't see it that way.

I agree, I don't see it as being greedy either, but just not the smart choice considering everything. However money of that amount would be hard for anyone to turn down. That isn't necessarily being greedy, but rather being judicious.

Tbiggums47
07-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Well to be optimistic...This is the way I think this deal has went down. I think Oden met with the Spurs early on.........was committed to coming here but was told by Pop and RC to go test the market. As the article attached to this thread reflected....Oden knows and understands what Popovich and The Spurs have to offer....If you recall when Tim Duncan was a free agent and was testing the waters with Orlando....Remember.....Tim said he didn't really want to test the waters but Pop insisted that he experience the process......Tim was wooed but when he came to his senses...he chose to stay here. Spur Addict, told me that Greg Oden has the right to take his time and make the right decision...As I was trying to figure out why Oden was taking such a long time to make a decision......He made a good point....Greg Oden is making a decision which will affect the rest of his career....Sounds a lot like what POP would advise.....I believe The Spurs have done their due diligence on this one....As they always do. They have neither confirmed or denied their level of interest....And not to mention......NOT used the press(like Miami) to hype up the situation.....Even with the hype...Heat blogger have no idea on what Oden's intentions are!

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Well to be optimistic...This is the way I think this deal has went down. I think Oden met with the Spurs early on.........was committed to coming here but was told by Pop and RC to go test the market. As the article attached to this thread reflected....Oden knows and understands what Popovich and The Spurs have to offer....If you recall when Tim Duncan was a free agent and was testing the waters with Orlando....Remember.....Tim said he didn't really want to test the waters but Pop insisted that he experience the process......Tim was wooed but when he came to his senses...he chose to stay here. Spur Addict, told me that Greg Oden has the right to take his time and make the right decision...As I was trying to figure out why Oden was taking such a long time to make a decision......He made a good point....Greg Oden is making a decision which will affect the rest of his career....Sounds a lot like what POP would advise.....I believe The Spurs have done their due diligence on this one....As they always do. They have neither confirmed or denied their level of interest....And not to mention......NOT used the press(like Miami) to hype up the situation.....Even with the hype...Heat blogger have no idea on what Oden's intentions are!

Well, I'd like to believe you're right about of this, and that Oden is an intelligent dude who will choose the Spurs, but so often are we disappointed in situations like this, that it is not something we can bank on especially considering his age, 25. In fact, he would almost have to be the exception to the rule.
We shall see what we shall see, but I wouldn't bet on him becoming a Spur, so I won't get my hopes up.

Tbiggums47
07-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Well, I'd like to believe you're right about of this, and that Oden is an intelligent dude who will choose the Spurs, but so often are we disappointed in situations like this, that it is not something we can bank on especially considering his age, 25. In fact, he would almost have to be the exception to the rule.
We shall see what we shall see, but I wouldn't bet on him becoming a Spur, so I won't get my hopes up.True....

TD 21
07-28-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm not just pissed at Oden, I'm pissed at all the players that always pass up the Spurs. Could the Spurs FO recruiting negotiations or lack thereof have anything to do with this matter? Maybe Pop & Duncan have given up as personal recruiters? These are all questions that unfortunately we will never have answers too.

Obviously, being in a small market, lacking financial flexibility most years and having an aging core have all played a role, but I think there's more to it. I get the sense that they don't bother putting on a full court press, like most teams do when they really want a player. I think they have the mentality of, we're the best organization in the league and we don't really need you, so if you want the privilege of playing for us, you'll sign for whatever we offer and consent to no guarantee, as far as minutes go. Every once in a while, it works. More often than not, agents and players likely take it as them not being as interested as other suitors.

Budkin
07-28-2013, 05:59 PM
I think if we had a young superstar like a Kevin Durant or something guys would want to come here but as it is our stars are in their final years. Let's see how many players want to go to OKC when he's gone.

Bruno
07-28-2013, 06:40 PM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

After an initial call, the Heat opted not to make an offer to center Marcus Camby, who reportedly met with the Bulls and Rockets last week.

Meanwhile, Miami awaits a decision from Greg Oden, which his agent said could come as early as Monday. Though it wouldn’t be surprising if Miami is outbid, his agent said he likes that the Heat could afford to bring him along slowly.

CGD
07-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Looking more and more like Miami. Good for him. I hope he can recover from his injuries and make a career out of it.

TXstbobcat
07-28-2013, 06:51 PM
I guess he will take his 50 year old knees to south beach.

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Well, it is beginning to look more and more what his decision is, otherwise why would his agent mention Miami specifically?
Although not a done deal, no mention of the Spurs at all pretty much says it all in a nutshell, don't you think?

What's more, I wouldn't be surprised if the Oden camp has already informed RC that the Spurs are out of the running.:hat

FireMicoHalili
07-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Somehow a guy who may never play is still a spectacle. I hope he justifies all the intrigue surrounding him.