PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Holt RC Pop for keeping Big 3

Gino-Step
07-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Can someone post the Sportscenter Conversation with KG and PP? The fact that they looked like they were at a funeral made me realize we are so lucky the Spurs will likely let the Big 3 retire in San Antonio.

Parker may leave on his own but as long as he wants to be here, it looks like we'll keep him even if he's a slow 37 year old backup point.

Paul Pierce called his new role "glorified role player" on the Nets. He accepts he's not as good. He accepts he would not have won another championship in Boston but at the end of the day he just wanted to play for that organization with honor and respect.

I'm not saying Manu didn't cost us championship(s). I'm not saying he won't turn out to be grossly overpaid 2 seasons from now. I'm not saying Duncan won't be a 15 minute a game player 2 seasons from now. But the sadness of seeing them traded would outweigh finishing 3rd instead of 7th. It would even outweigh seeing Kawhi celebrate a championship without them.

This is mostly about Manu, I know. But if he didn't want to retire and had an offer for 7m (maybe higher) and asked RC to match, you just match.

And we should be thankful he did.

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 12:32 AM
I didn't want to see either Manu or Tim finish their careers playing for another team.

DesignatedT
07-19-2013, 12:46 AM
It does go beyond the basketball court. The front office knows how much the big 3 (especially Manu) mean to the city and the people of San Antonio. He was never going anywhere.

Sean Cagney
07-19-2013, 02:19 AM
I never ever wanted to see Manu elsewhere, I just wish he would have seen it for what it was and taken less money than 7 or so Million a year! Spurs need him here and he is a Spur for life, but man his contract is just too much and even Argies have said it.

I love the fact they will all get to retire together though, would not have it any other way! NONE!

TheGreatYacht
07-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Enough with the EMO stuff. Manu was never going anywhere. I don't know why Manu apologists even feared that Manu would leave. Manu would not last more than 30 games on another team at this point in his career. If those other teams such as Houston were interested in him, I doubt they would pay him as much as we did, they'd have to be complete retards to do so. Manu is too beat up and banged and he knows it.

I am certain that Manu knows that he is very fortunate to have Pop as a coach because Pop is a master at managing player minutes, especially with old guys or injury-prone players such as Manu. Had the FO offered Manu half of what they gave him along with some convincing, I'm pretty sure that Manu would of accepted a $7M 2 year contract unless my suspicions of him are really true in that he is more greedy than Duncan and Parker.

I guess we'll never know exactly how the negotiations went. Someone else mentioned "having the Big 3 retire together is a stupid idea" which is true given the fact that Parker is like 5 or 6 years younger than Timmy and Manu. Spurs homers think that Duncan is eternal. Enough of this blind homerism.

eric365
07-19-2013, 09:41 AM
KG had a no trade clause. I think he is happy to go to the nets

xmas1997
07-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Enough with the EMO stuff. Manu was never going anywhere. I don't know why Manu apologists even feared that Manu would leave. Manu would not last more than 30 games on another team at this point in his career. If those other teams such as Houston were interested in him, I doubt they would pay him as much as we did, they'd have to be complete retards to do so. Manu is too beat up and banged and he knows it.

I am certain that Manu knows that he is very fortunate to have Pop as a coach because Pop is a master at managing player minutes, especially with old guys or injury-prone players such as Manu. Had the FO offered Manu half of what they gave him along with some convincing, I'm pretty sure that Manu would of accepted a $7M 2 year contract unless my suspicions of him are really true in that he is more greedy than Duncan and Parker.

I guess we'll never know exactly how the negotiations went. Someone else mentioned "having the Big 3 retire together is a stupid idea" which is true given the fact that Parker is like 5 or 6 years younger than Timmy and Manu. Spurs homers think that Duncan is eternal. Enough of this blind homerism.

Dude, why do you have such a negative attitude? Every one of your posts are so negative it makes it so much harder to read, and you are so accusatory to people who have contrary opinions to yours that it is no wonder we get tired reading your posts. If you could level off a little and be somewhat more realistic and less accusatory and defensive then you would get lots less criticism from some of us old hands IMHO. Just saying, no offense meant.

team-work
07-19-2013, 10:54 AM
The thread did raise some good points to reflect on. For example, What is more important, winning championships or keeping the core players in the team till their retirement? As a fan I would say I want both. But the Spurs didn't seem as if they haven't tried hard to achieve the former purpose. In the end, they can only achieve the latter, and it will still serve as a good memory when I look back upon it many years later.

CitizenDwayne
07-19-2013, 11:17 AM
:pop:: "You're welcome."

Gino-Step
07-19-2013, 02:09 PM
KG had a no trade clause. I think he is happy to go to the nets

If you went to Tim and Manu and said we don't want you here. You gonna waive it or not? They would also waive it like KG.

What Tim and Manu loves is the whole package. The organization and the city. They ain't going to say no keep me here and glued to the bench while you tank and disrespect me. Of course they would waive it too. So the fact KG waived his does not imply he wants to leave. See his interview. It was chilling.

SpursFanInAustin
07-19-2013, 02:25 PM
If you went to Tim and Manu and said we don't want you here. You gonna waive it or not? They would also waive it like KG.

What Tim and Manu loves is the whole package. The organization and the city. They ain't going to say no keep me here and glued to the bench while you tank and disrespect me. Of course they would waive it too. So the fact KG waived his does not imply he wants to leave. See his interview. It was chilling.

But Garnett had already played for someone outside of Boston. Paul Pierce on the other hand...

ElNono
07-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Enough with the EMO stuff.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Charlie-Murphy-Laughing-Chappelles-Show-Prince.gif

TheGreatYacht
07-19-2013, 02:50 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Charlie-Murphy-Laughing-Chappelles-Show-Prince.gif
The Ginobili apologists are even more annoying than the flood of salty Lakerfans downstairs. Manu shit the bed in the Finals and he was a chump and didn't do the team any favors when it came to his current contract. Accept that and move on. 99% of Spurs fans still adore that bald headed bastard, just because people criticize him doesn't mean you need to whine like a bitch about it
Cough... Cough... ElNono, DallasMaverickLose, NoFly3rScrub, xmas1997 just to name a few.http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/3cd60aebd897d4144727149023ded85c.gif

ElNono
07-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Enough with the EMO stuff.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/3cd60aebd897d4144727149023ded85c.gif

dbestpro
07-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Yeah, its really cool that they kept Duncan, Parker, and Leonard on the team.