07-19-2013, 06:53 PM
about 8 min till tip

RD2191
07-19-2013, 06:55 PM
:music

ace3g
07-19-2013, 06:56 PM
San Antonio Spurs @spurs
(http://twitter.com/spurs)[Instavid] Spurs in their #nbasummerleague (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23nbasummerleague) finale vs Bucks. #GoSpursGo (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23GoSpursGo) instagram.com/p/b93rQBp_CC/ (http://t.co/34vUe5nCE3)

ace3g
07-19-2013, 07:02 PM
San Antonio Spurs @spurs
(http://twitter.com/spurs)Tonight's starters: Denmon, Thompson, Thomas, Pittman and M’Baye. #GoSpursGo (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23GoSpursGo)

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:03 PM
No Baynes tonight?

RD2191
Who has the best shot at making the roster?

ace3g
Probably going to get looks at people that haven't got many minutes tonight

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Monster dunk

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Denmon for 3!!!

ace3g
07-19-2013, 07:09 PM
nice pass by Pittman

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:10 PM
I wonder if we will get one more look at Richards tonight?

Baam
07-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Denmon could make a case for backup PG, he looks ok and is a better and more wiliing shooter than Cory.

Birn
07-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Forget Ryan Richards and Greg Oden. I like what Pittman is doing out there.

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Denmon with another 3

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Nice move by Thomas

Russ
07-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Nice move by Thomas

Thomas is getting the "freeze out" treatment. :lol

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Deep 3 and 1!!!!!!!!

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Thompson lighting it up.

CitizenDwayne
07-19-2013, 07:26 PM
wtf...there's a game tonight?

Guess I'll have to start watching.

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:27 PM
wtf...there's a game tonight?

Guess I'll have to start watching.

On nbatv

CitizenDwayne
07-19-2013, 07:28 PM
On nbatv

Ah ok. Thanks.

For some reason, I was thinking the consolation round was tomorrow.

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:31 PM
I didn't know Richards had 3pt range

Chinook
07-19-2013, 07:34 PM
I didn't know Richards had 3pt range

Yep. His shot looked good. That's what I've been trying to tell people. The man has skills; he's just inept on the court.

xmas1997
07-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Yep. His shot looked good. That's what I've been trying to tell people. The man has skills; he's just inept on the court.

They need to devote some serious teaching to this kid (Richards) because he could turn out to be real good, otherwise some other team will do it.

siraulo23
07-19-2013, 07:45 PM
pitman played pretty well

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 07:46 PM
If the spurs don't give Pittman a training camp invite, some other team surely will.

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Richards blows the lay up on a nice move.

BatManu20
07-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Another great move by Richards, only to miss the easy lay up.. Guy is really frustrating. He could easily dominate if he knew any better.

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Richards for 3!!!!

TXstbobcat
07-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Richards can hit the 3 but blows the easy layup.

ace3g
07-19-2013, 08:09 PM
screw you NBATV!!!

Rito3d30
07-19-2013, 08:09 PM
the F they keep reviewing that Allen 3

BatManu20
07-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Why the f*ck do they keep showing Ray Allen's shot from Game 6? Seriously they've literally shown it every single Spurs summer League game now. And/or talked about it. Move on NBA TV.

Biggems
I think the best thing for Richards would be 2 seasons in Austin to bring his basketball acumen up to his athletic acumen.

Pittman needs a camp invite.

MeloHype
Richards can hit the 3 but blows the easy layup.
Sounds like Gr33n tbh

Rito3d30
07-19-2013, 08:12 PM
like we need reminder or something

Biggems
wags absolutely sucks....he is pretty much a warm body on the floor....even Bateer thinks he sucks

Spurs21Fan4Ever
Just turned on the game, but it sounds like Richards is finally playing pretty well. The guy needs confidence and smarts, something he can only get from high level of competition. Just invest in this guy and put him on the Toros and work his butt off! This guy has so much potential! Even if there is a 10% chance he reaches his full potential, still worth it to me to invest in him, just because his potential is that high.

rjv
07-19-2013, 08:19 PM
maybe richards can earn a spot on the toros roster

Spurs21Fan4Ever
07-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Great job by Richards recognizing the mismatch. Great move.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
07-19-2013, 08:24 PM
I know I'm just praising Richards tonight, but one thing I noticed about him is that he's always finding someone to block out on rebounds. Sometimes he gets lost and does a horrible job of that, but at least he always tries to find a body to block out rather than just crash the boards. I like that.

siraulo23
07-19-2013, 08:27 PM
this is pretty much richard's most complete game he's played so far

ace3g
07-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Richards always reminded me of Lamar Odom lite

MeloHype
07-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Beautiful play

siraulo23
07-19-2013, 08:29 PM
thomspon, richards and pittman def stood out this game, they were pretty solid all around

BatManu20
07-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Richards is just teasing us with his potential tbh.

rjv
07-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Richards is just teasing us with his potential tbh.

or reminding us why the spurs have not given up on him yet

BatManu20
07-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Wangmene lol

Spurs21Fan4Ever
07-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Guys are just chucking it up now to try and prove something, not liking that at all.

BatManu20
07-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Richards crashes the boards hard. No matter what.

ace3g
07-19-2013, 08:38 PM
90http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/gameinfo/teamlogos/SAS.gif
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/2.0/sect/gameinfo/teamlogos/MIL.gif

BatManu20
07-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Richards finishes w/ 18 pts on 8-11 shooting. Crashed the boards hard which I liked. Had some good moves where he flashed off his potential and athletic ability. Showed off his 3-point stroke too. He had a couple moments that left you frustrated though, as well. He's only 22. I really hope this kid puts it together in the next couple years tbh.

BatManu20
07-19-2013, 08:40 PM

tim_duncan_fan
07-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Just when we think we can let him go without lost opportunity costs, Richards has a random good game.

Is it a trap?

spurs10
07-19-2013, 08:59 PM
the F they keep reviewing that Allen 3 Too late.

playblair
07-19-2013, 09:03 PM
5 legit summer league prospects who deserve training camp invite/roster spot.............................

1. deshaun thomas

2. dexter pittman

3. hollis thompson

4. marcus denmon

5. ryan richards

raybies
07-19-2013, 09:17 PM
I Expect:
-Thomas to Europe. Didn't show enough after a poor performance. Although he did string together a few strong games, he doesn't seem ready to fill a role on this team, at least at this time.
-Thompson and Pittman to recieve a training camp invite. Thinking New York.
-Richards to recieve interest from at least one European team. He didn't really have a strong summer league but he did show he has the skills to compete. Let's hope a strong coach sees enough to give him a shot.
-Denmon back to Europe, although he does look ready to be a third string on some team. I wonder if the Spurs won't trade him to give him a shot some where rather than have him banished in Europe for the next 2 years at least.

All in all nothing to see here. Cory and Nando didn't really show much. I wonder if they are enough for a sign and trade for Mo Williams. But I'm not sold on either. Cory still turns the ball over when he's aggressive and barrels to the rim out of control while Nando is only confident when he's playing risky.

Chinook
07-19-2013, 09:22 PM
I Expect:
-Thomas to Europe. Didn't show enough after a poor performance. Although he did string together a few strong games, he doesn't seem ready to fill a role on this team, at least at this time.
-Richards to recieve interest from at least one European team. He didn't really have a strong summer league but he did show he has the skills to compete. Let's hope a strong coach sees enough to give him a shot.
-Denmon back to Europe, although he does look ready to be a third string on some team. I wonder if the Spurs won't trade him to give him a shot some where rather than have him banished in Europe for the next 2 years at least.

All in all nothing to see here. Cory and Nando didn't really show much. I wonder if they are enough for a sign and trade for Mo Williams. But I'm not sold on either. Cory still turns the ball over when he's aggressive and barrels to the rim out of control while Nando is only confident when he's playing risky.

If Thomas goes to Europe, Thompson probably goes to camp with the Spurs. The 15th spot will likley be open.

Richards may force a camp invite, but it will say a lot about his character if he doesn't. If the Spurs bring him into camp, it will likely be on a three-year deal with the rest of the MLE. He needs time in Austin.

2centsworth
07-19-2013, 09:25 PM
I Expect:

You were on a roll until you mentioned Mo Williams

raybies
07-19-2013, 09:29 PM
You were on a roll until you mentioned Mo Williams
I hear you but he is the only realistic option at this point of the offseason as a backup that can shoot and handle.

SpursDynasty21
07-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Dexter Pittman has been great so far. Any chance he can make the Spurs roster?

Chinook
07-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Dexter Pittman has been great so far. Any chance he can make the Spurs roster?

None. The Spurs have three centers and three power-forwards on the roster already. If another big gets on the roster, it would be Richards. Pittman just doesn't have the upside or investment.

raybies
07-19-2013, 10:41 PM
None. The Spurs have three centers and three power-forwards on the roster already. If another big gets on the roster, it would be Richards. Pittman just doesn't have the upside or investment.
I agree with the none part, but I think Oden has more of chance than Richards.

Chinook
07-19-2013, 10:46 PM
I agree with the none part, but I think Oden has more of chance than Richards.

I don't think Oden has any chance to being on the Spurs. I don't think the Spurs even want him. The only reason why Richards may sneak on is because he's a draft pick. I think the last roster spot will go to either Neal or a pick.

ace3g
07-19-2013, 11:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UGZYEsQZdM

ace3g
07-19-2013, 11:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AftygtuKpNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYyF94lBZTQ

raybies
07-19-2013, 11:41 PM
I don't think Oden has any chance to being on the Spurs. I don't think the Spurs even want him. The only reason why Richards may sneak on is because he's a draft pick. I think the last roster spot will go to either Neal or a pick.

Well in the Odens high on Pop thread it stated that the Spurs and him spoke twice. I think that the Spurs signed Pendergraph as a sure thing as opposed to Oden which is like who knows. Don't want to wait around for a player and end up with nothing. But in a basketball sense we are the best fit, whether he realizes that or not is all on him. If Oden says let's get it done, I don't think the Spurs would pass on a low risk high reward player. I do think Deshaun Thomas makes a difference to some degree. Odens known as a private guy and being familiar to at least one guy would make a move to a new team somewhat easier. I was hoping Deshaun would do better for this reason, but he didn't have the type of game I feel he would need to make the team. It also would have made things alot more complicated; would've set the Spurs up for a trade to open roster spots.

Richards has shown that he has the talent, but after tonight solid showing, it may have opened a door for a better team in Europe. If it hasn't even done that then how would it open a door here. I get the whole he needs x and y and we can give it to him but millions of dollars and a roster spot to cater to him and then risk an Ian again. From what I can tell the Spurs like guys that can handle adversity, he hasn't shown he can. Now if he gets it together and in a couple years comes back more mature thats another story. But who knows he does have alot of potential. His confidence seems to be easily swayed and I think the Spurs culture does have the power to help with things like this. I even replied that Collison could benefit, so why not Richards. I would think the Spurs having a two year window would stack players that can contribute on a nightly basis than surrender a spot. With that said I could see a roster spot for him in two years if he hasn't panned out, which would make him 24(?), with a likely new roster looking to hit homeruns again.

Chinook
07-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Whether Richards comes to camp depends on both the team and the player. They can't say, "Come back when we think you're ready, and we'll sign you." If he's tired of playing overseas, then he'll sign his tender and enter the league. Honestly, him piddling around in the d-league would probably be better than him playing the leagues he's slated to play in next season. If he thinks he'll catch onto another team, he has leverage.

The team has absolutely no need for Oden. With his injuries, he doesn't even have a spot in the rotation. Unless Baynes goes to another team, I just don't see the fit.

Kingsly Alexander
07-20-2013, 04:50 AM
Sounds like Gr33n tbh

That is green, tbh

ace3g
07-20-2013, 09:45 AM
http://ht.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/video/teams/spurs/2013/07/19/130719josephmov-2545229-10.576x324.jpg (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2013/07/19/130719josephmov-2545229)
Postgame: Cory Joseph
7.19.13 |
4m8s

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/video/teams/spurs/2013/07/19/130719denmonmov-2545228-6.576x324.jpg (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2013/07/19/130719denmonmov-2545228)
Postgame: Marcus Denmon
7.19.13 |
2m48s

TheGreatYacht
07-20-2013, 10:38 AM
None. The Spurs have three centers and three power-forwards on the roster already. If another big gets on the roster, it would be Richards. Pittman just doesn't have the upside or investment.Why do some people keep insisting on Richards? They guy looks like a complete scrub to me that has no brain outside of last night's game.

If anything, I've been more impressed with Dexter Pittman's performance throughout the summer than anything I've seen from Richards. The idea that Richards has more of a right to get an invite to camp just because he's a Spurs draft pick is the most absurd thing that I've heard. Could it be that you'll want the FO to look good or give a good impression?

If anything, I think Hollis Thompson or Dexter Pittman deserve an invite to camp. They bring hustle, rebounding, and defense which are all things that Spurs have lacked for a myriad of years until Kawhi's emergence and Duncan's renaissance. Chipp can always work on their shot should they make the team which I highly doubt.

We used to win championships playing defense and were 28 seconds away from winning another one being a top 3 defensive team in 2013

Well in the Odens high on Pop thread it stated that the Spurs and him spoke twice. I think that the Spurs signed Pendergraph as a sure thing as opposed to Oden which is like who knows. Don't want to wait around for a player and end up with nothing. But in a basketball sense we are the best fit, whether he realizes that or not is all on him. If Oden says let's get it done, I don't think the Spurs would pass on a low risk high reward player. I do think Deshaun Thomas makes a difference to some degree. Odens known as a private guy and being familiar to at least one guy would make a move to a new team somewhat easier. I was hoping Deshaun would do better for this reason, but he didn't have the type of game I feel he would need to make the team. It also would have made things alot more complicated; would've set the Spurs up for a trade to open roster spots.

Richards has shown that he has the talent, but after tonight solid showing, it may have opened a door for a better team in Europe. If it hasn't even done that then how would it open a door here.I agree.

Chinook
07-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Why do some people keep insisting on Richards? They guy looks like a complete scrub to me that has no brain outside of last night's game.

If anything, I've been more impressed with Dexter Pittman's performance throughout the summer than anything I've seen from Richards. The idea that Richards has more of a right to get an invite to camp just because he's a Spurs draft pick is the most absurd thing that I've heard. Could it be that you'll want the FO to look good or give a good impression?

If anything, I think Hollis Thompson or Dexter Pittman deserve an invite to camp. They bring hustle, rebounding, and defense which are all things that Spurs have lacked for a myriad of years until Kawhi's emergence and Duncan's renaissance. Chipp can always work on their shot should they make the team which I highly doubt.

We used to win championships playing defense and were 28 seconds away from winning another one being a top 3 defensive team in 2013
I agree.

We keep going over this same concept. As a draft pick, Richards (as well as Denmon, Thomas and all the second-rounders stashed abroad) has a legal right according to the CBA to force the Spurs to either sign him to a contract or let him go. They can't keep leaving him in Europe without his consent. So it Richards decides it, he will be at training camp the same way Jack McClinton was. If the Spurs have hope they can develop him in Austin, they will probably give him a three-year deal with the first year guaranteed (as mandated by the MLE). If they don't, he'll get a one-year deal and get cut immediately after camp.

Pittman is not a draft pick. The Spurs don't have an incentive not to waste his rights. They know he's not in their plans now, so they don't need to waste a roster spot on him. No one who watched all five games thinks that Richards had a better summer league than Pittman. But Richards definitely has more upside. The Spurs might think he'll be a rotation player two years down the line. I doubt they think that about Pittman.

It's similar to the Thompson/Thomas issue. The Spurs are likely going to try to send Thomas to Europe. But they could easily invite Thompson to camp, because they don't lose anything by him getting cut. If Thomas forces his way to camp, he'd likely get the same deal that Richards would get. (It'd be an either/or thing between them, though.) He has a legal right to force the team's hand.

raybies
07-20-2013, 12:02 PM
We keep going over this same concept. As a draft pick, Richards (as well as Denmon, Thomas and all the second-rounders stashed abroad) has a legal right according to the CBA to force the Spurs to either sign him to a contract or let him go. They can't keep leaving him in Europe without his consent. So it Richards decides it, he will be at training camp the same way Jack McClinton was. If the Spurs have hope they can develop him in Austin, they will probably give him a three-year deal with the first year guaranteed (as mandated by the MLE). If they don't, he'll get a one-year deal and get cut immediately after camp.

Did not know that. Out of the three I could see Denmon doing that. He seems the most NBA ready.

I could totally understand why Richards would do that; his career in Europe is at a low and he's been wanting to come over since the draft. I doubt the Spurs would want to lose him for nothing considering he still has his age and potential on his side. A strong mentor like Duncan could be the world of difference not to mention the development time in Austin. I think if the Spurs had more roster spots it would be more likely of happening, but with one spot they would most likely leave it open till the trade deadline unless they found a player they really like that fills a team need.

BackHome
07-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Wouldn't mind trading Nando and CoJo for a true ball handling backup PG. Also wouldn't mind trading Bonner and Neal for a good backup SF. If we could send four people and get two players then we would have room for Richards/Thompson.

Chinook
07-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Did not know that. Out of the three I could see Denmon doing that. He seems the most NBA ready.

I could totally understand why Richards would do that; his career in Europe is at a low and he's been wanting to come over since the draft. I doubt the Spurs would want to lose him for nothing considering he still has his age and potential on his side. A strong mentor like Duncan could be the world of difference not to mention the development time in Austin. I think if the Spurs had more roster spots it would be more likely of happening, but with one spot they would most likely leave it open till the trade deadline unless they found a player they really like that fills a team need.

I wish that each team had 16th and 17th spots specifically for d-league assignments. Those players would not be allowed to be called up for a least a year, and they'd get paid somewhere between the d-league max and the NBA rookie minimum. The NBA needs to try to get its teams more invested in the d-league. Then again, I also support a d-league-only third round of the draft.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-20-2013, 12:58 PM
i missed the bucks game. but, i really love pittman. i think he's the standout of the summer league. i think him losing so much weight and playing so well shows a fantastic work ethic. thats the kinda thing that catches the spurs eye.

i want the spurs to dump bonner with blair for ariza so badly. fill the need for depth at 3. open the bench big spot for baynes. then sign pittman. when timmy is resting. tiago is cowering. and baynes is in foul trouble. pittman could keep pendergraph challenged.

Vic Petro
07-20-2013, 01:01 PM
I don't get the love for Pittman either. He showed flashes over the last 2 games but was bad in the first 3. He's a long way away fom making an NBA rotation on a bad team, let alone the Spurs.

TheGreatYacht
07-20-2013, 03:04 PM
I don't get the love for Pittman either. He showed flashes over the last 2 games but was bad in the first 3. He's a long way away fom making an NBA rotation on a bad team, let alone the Spurs.The same can be said for Richards. He showed flashes in one game which was last night. Pretty much everyone on the Summer League roster outside of Baynes, De Colo, and CoJo have a long way away from making an NBA rotation on a bad team. That's why I wish the FO would hurry up and trade De Colo and Mills or get rid of them because they're just a waste of roster space. Pittman, Thomas, and Thompson should get an invite to summer camp IMO. Giving an opportunity to Richards kind of defeats the purpose of signing Pendergraph don't you think?

Vic Petro
07-20-2013, 03:13 PM
The same can be said for Richards. He showed flashes in one game which was last night. Pretty much everyone on the Summer League roster outside of Baynes, De Colo, and CoJo have a long way away from making an NBA rotation on a bad team. That's why I wish the FO would hurry up and trade De Colo and Mills or get rid of them because they're just a waste of roster space. Pittman, Thomas, and Thompson should get an invite to summer camp IMO. Giving an opportunity to Richards kind of defeats the purpose of signing Pendergraph don't you think?

Yes I agree and don't think they should sign Pittman or Richards. But I'd def take Richards over Pittman if they were going to sign one because of the difference in upside. Same reason I wouldn't be mad if they signed Oden...I see how high the upside is. They are all long shots so at least go with the guys with high ceilings. Pittman I think maxes out as an end of the bench big.

ceperez
07-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Yes I agree and don't think they should sign Pittman or Richards. But I'd def take Richards over Pittman if they were going to sign one because of the difference in upside. Same reason I wouldn't be mad if they signed Oden...I see how high the upside is. They are all long shots so at least go with the guys with high ceilings. Pittman I think maxes out as an end of the bench big.

Yep.... the FO should be gambling on folks with big upside at the end of the bench. The Spurs are loaded with capable role players already. The Spurs don't need any more average players!

MR-Clutch
07-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Oden has a better chance than Richards. Richards is trash and has no knowledge or concept of how the game should be played.

palangi
07-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Yep.... the FO should be gambling on folks with big upside at the end of the bench. The Spurs are loaded with capable role players already. The Spurs don't need any more average players!
I agree. why not use the last two guys as high ceiling types that can be groomed slowly. a greg oden or richards would be great for this. if richards could get up and spend a year or two learning he could be the replacement for bonner. but bigger, longer, and more athletic.

ace3g
07-20-2013, 10:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-C2USkymHg

Chinook
07-20-2013, 10:11 PM
I like Thompson more than Thomas. There, I've said it.

CitizenDwayne
07-20-2013, 10:23 PM
I like Thompson more than Thomas. There, I've said it.

Why?

(Not trying to be a smartass, just curious as to your reasoning.)

Chinook
07-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Why?

(Not trying to be a smartass, just curious as to your reasoning.)

He's more NBA-ready. He can actually play the three. His offense looks good, and he seems to have good defensive instincts. Honestly, Thomas doesn't have a ton of upside, in my opinion. One of the reasons why I'm in favor of him getting a roster spot is because he's pretty much as good as he'll ever be. What I hope he learns in Austin next year is how to actually defend the three. Thompson's already there.

As far as Thomas' offense goes, I'm not horribly impressed yet. He's a good but not elite shooter, and his ability to get his own shot is going to be extremely mitigated when he's the fifth option. He has some nifty moves inside the arch, but I'm not quite sure how those will fair against legitimate big men. He seems like a smart passer, which is a great plus, but Thompson seems like he is as well.

As far as Austin prospects go, Thomas is better, since he could eventually grow into a good bench scorer. But I think that Thompson could do a decent job backing up Leonard now (and especially being the third-string three behind Ginobili or Belinelli). He can defend his position and space the floor. I wouldn't be upset if the Spurs chose Thomas over Thompson, but I hope they can get Thomas to go to Europe and keep Thompson for this season.

Truth4sale$
07-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Thompson, Pittman deserve a camp invite for further evaluation for the 15th spot

dallasmaverickslose
07-21-2013, 02:19 AM
The only way Richards or Pittman even sniff a roster spot is if Matt Bonner leaves.

Darkwaters
07-21-2013, 02:08 PM
I wish that each team had 16th and 17th spots specifically for d-league assignments. Those players would not be allowed to be called up for a least a year, and they'd get paid somewhere between the d-league max and the NBA rookie minimum. The NBA needs to try to get its teams more invested in the d-league. Then again, I also support a d-league-only third round of the draft.

That's a pretty cool idea. I've never heard it before (although I've seen discussions about a 16th roster spot in a similar format). In the 3rd round would it only be open to teams that owned their own D-League affiliates? Or would every team have the ability to draft, and just have to stash them on their assigned team?

The problem with that might be that with some D-League teams having like 4-5 NBA teams affiliated with them, their rosters would quickly fill with assignees. Then what happens if that team is required to carry like 8 PG's because that's what they've been assigned by the guys in the bigs? The whole seems works better and makes more sense when every NBA team has their own affiliate. Or at least you only have 2 or maybe 3 NBA teams per D-League affiliate.

Chinook
07-21-2013, 03:55 PM
That's a pretty cool idea. I've never heard it before (although I've seen discussions about a 16th roster spot in a similar format). In the 3rd round would it only be open to teams that owned their own D-League affiliates? Or would every team have the ability to draft, and just have to stash them on their assigned team?

The problem with that might be that with some D-League teams having like 4-5 NBA teams affiliated with them, their rosters would quickly fill with assignees. Then what happens if that team is required to carry like 8 PG's because that's what they've been assigned by the guys in the bigs? The whole seems works better and makes more sense when every NBA team has their own affiliate. Or at least you only have 2 or maybe 3 NBA teams per D-League affiliate.

The state of the d-league is disgusting. There really should be more teams. Perhaps NBA teams that don't have their own affiliate could buy spots on the other teams' affiliates like US states do with vet schools. Otherwise, the d-league teams they send players to have the right to release any player after a year.

Biggems
07-21-2013, 04:08 PM
The state of the d-league is disgusting. There really should be more teams. Perhaps NBA teams that don't have their own affiliate could buy spots on the other teams' affiliates like US states do with vet schools. Otherwise, the d-league teams they send players to have the right to release any player after a year.

30 NBA teams

So IMO, there should be 30 DLeague teams. Each NBA franchise owns its own DL affiliate, and owns the rights to all players on that affiliate. For instance, the Toros are our DLeague affiliate, and we own the rights to every member of that team.

NBA - Parent Club
DLeague - Farm Club

This way, we could keep guys like Thomas, Thompson, Richards, Pittman, Denmon, etc, and give them quality minutes in our system, while developing their bodies, minds, and skills.

Chinook
07-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Damned straight.

Tyrone Jenkins
07-21-2013, 04:14 PM

Actually, the state of the NBA is the problem. There should be LESS NBA teams (about 4 less) - that would allow more talent on the remaining teams. Of course, no city would willingly give up their team but some should (Charlotte, New Orleans, Golden State and Milwakee are among the smaller cities). This would spread out a wealth of talent (Steph Curry, etc.) to play elsewhere and increase competition league-wide.

Chinook
07-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Actually, the state of the NBA is the problem. There should be LESS NBA teams (about 4 less) - that would allow more talent on the remaining teams. Of course, no city would willingly give up their team but some should (Charlotte, New Orleans, Golden State and Milwakee are among the smaller cities). This would spread out a wealth of talent (Steph Curry, etc.) to play elsewhere and increase competition league-wide.

See, I disagree with that. There are too many talented basketball players in the world for people to really think that there aren't 450 NBA-caliber players out there. It's just an excuse people use for why there are bad teams. The truth is, the NBA culture is what's causing so many teams like Sacramento and Charlotte to fail. They have as much talent as teams like the Spurs do, but they just can't develop those players to save their lives. Then you have entitled stars who keep screwing their previous teams over so they can play together, or who come into the league as rookies expecting their teams to bow down to them. A lot of these players would rather get a coach fired than put in the work to make use of their immense physical gifts.

What the NBA needs is more accountability and smarter front offices, not contraction.

HI-FI
07-22-2013, 01:50 AM
See, I disagree with that. There are too many talented basketball players in the world for people to really think that there aren't 450 NBA-caliber players out there. It's just an excuse people use for why there are bad teams. The truth is, the NBA culture is what's causing so many teams like Sacramento and Charlotte to fail. They have as much talent as teams like the Spurs do, but they just can't develop those players to save their lives. Then you have entitled stars who keep screwing their previous teams over so they can play together, or who come into the league as rookies expecting their teams to bow down to them. A lot of these players would rather get a coach fired than put in the work to make use of their immense physical gifts.

What the NBA needs is more accountability and smarter front offices, not contraction.

the ownership in the NBA is largely to blame, so many terrible owners with bad front offices. I agree about contraction, there's so much talent now throughout the world, making the league smaller probably isn't the best overall idea. what's sad though is that half of the NBA is a farm league, with no desire to compete anyways.

It would also be interesting to see if they ever do get a hard cap, how that would change things. Some people say it wouldn't make a difference, but it appears this new CBA is already causing changes, so I think a hard cap would push things further in that direction.

Chinook
07-22-2013, 02:32 AM
the ownership in the NBA is largely to blame, so many terrible owners with bad front offices. I agree about contraction, there's so much talent now throughout the world, making the league smaller probably isn't the best overall idea. what's sad though is that half of the NBA is a farm league, with no desire to compete anyways.

It would also be interesting to see if they ever do get a hard cap, how that would change things. Some people say it wouldn't make a difference, but it appears this new CBA is already causing changes, so I think a hard cap would push things further in that direction.

Indeed. I always look at the NFL as a contrast. Even though there are teams like the Bengals whose owners just wanted to collect the revenue sharing, most teams are constantly trying to compete. The league is just too competitive to have a lot of teams that just try to half-ass things. We've seen many teams go from being bottom feeders to playoff contenders by bringing in a good system and some talent. With the exception of the 2011 Eagles, we haven't seen any dream-team scenarios, either. Somehow, the NFL finds about 1,700 NFL-caliber players each year, even though they come almost exclusively from the US. No one thinks the NFL needs to contract.

A hard cap will definitely end these super-team formations. We'll see teams who draft well and make smart low-key free-agent signings succeed while teams that rely on buying talent won't be able to survive. It's gonna take a lot of fight to get to that point, though. A hard cap almost guarantees that players will take a major pay-cut. It's not just superstars who benefit from the current (or previous) system. Role-players like Mike Miller and Keith Bogans got fat paychecks due to teams overspending to try to surround their stars will talent.

apalisoc_9
07-22-2013, 02:56 AM
Indeed. I always look at the NFL as a contrast. Even though there are teams like the Bengals whose owners just wanted to collect the revenue sharing, most teams are constantly trying to compete. The league is just too competitive to have a lot of teams that just try to half-ass things. We've seen many teams go from being bottom feeders to playoff contenders by bringing in a good system and some talent. With the exception of the 2011 Eagles, we haven't seen any dream-team scenarios, either. Somehow, the NFL finds about 1,700 NFL-caliber players each year, even though they come almost exclusively from the US. No one thinks the NFL needs to contract.

A hard cap will definitely end these super-team formations. We'll see teams who draft well and make smart low-key free-agent signings succeed while teams that rely on buying talent won't be able to survive. It's gonna take a lot of fight to get to that point, though. A hard cap almost guarantees that players will take a major pay-cut. It's not just superstars who benefit from the current (or previous) system. Role-players like Mike Miller and Keith Bogans got fat paychecks due to teams overspending to try to surround their stars will talent.

Not to disrespect the NFL, but there's way to many positions in the NFL that don't really require much skill. Get a round, tough body with basic skill and you might make it.

It's different with the NBA, NHL and specially soccer. These sports require a lot of skills.

Baam
07-22-2013, 03:59 AM
Not to disrespect the NFL, but there's way to many positions in the NFL that don't really require much skill. Get a round, tough body with basic skill and you might make it.

It's different with the NBA, NHL and specially soccer. These sports require a lot of skills.

Yep and soccer you can learn basically anywhere in the world, it's way harder to get access to basketball training, the Nba is way closer to the Nhl and I really don't think there's that much talent all over the world.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-22-2013, 01:30 PM
man! i hate contraction talk!

fickle fan can't appreciate the team through a down cycle. no patience for the hard times that make owners and management wise. wise enough to appreciate hard working, intelligent, talented players. wise enough to appreciate effective, maybe even innovative strategies. nope, they'd much rather have the team scrapped.

more super teams, more raw flash! teamwork and strategy are disgusting.

Chinook
07-22-2013, 02:05 PM

It's true that having so many distinctions makes it less necessary for NFL to be great all-around athletes. But by the same token, the NFL requires VERY specialized skills, and a lot of generalists wouldn't be able to make it. Add in the fact that it pretty much has a pool of one country, and I still think it's impressive that so many professional players come can be found. Basketball is the second- or third-most popular sport in the world. No one is wondering if there are 2,000 professional-quality athletes to play soccer world-wide, let alone 450.

apalisoc_9
07-22-2013, 03:52 PM
It's true that having so many distinctions makes it less necessary for NFL to be great all-around athletes. But by the same token, the NFL requires VERY specialized skills, and a lot of generalists wouldn't be able to make it. Add in the fact that it pretty much has a pool of one country, and I still think it's impressive that so many professional players come can be found. Basketball is the second- or third-most popular sport in the world. No one is wondering if there are 2,000 professional-quality athletes to play soccer world-wide, let alone 450.

You see I disagree with half your point. Aside for the QB, Wide Receiver, Punter the rest are positions that don't really require much skills. Heck a rugby player was drafted to the NFL and way to many players who started late played in the NFL. Not to mention there's way too many players in one team to begin with.

Basketball is most likely the second most popular sport in the world but It's nowhere, and not even close to Soccer's popularity. American's don't realize that even though soccer has been the most popular sport in the world, it has experienced massive booms in East Asia, South East Asia and Africa the last 20 years. Japan did not have a soccer league untill 1993 and now the J-league is competing against the dying sport of Baseball.

The quality of soccer in these nations are perhaps even better than those of nations like Jordan, Philippines and Lithuanian who are probably the only countries in the world that has basketball as their main sport..

Just to give you an Idea of how bad the quality of basketball is in other nations, there's no one in the world that can beat the USA dream team if they're serious enough. In soccer even a lowly team like Costa Rica, Uzbekistan can pull of an upset. These countries beating Spain is like Lithuania beating the US.