PDA

View Full Version : Bernard James > Greg Oden

coachmac87
07-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Mavs were forced to waive him to make room for Ellis...I'd take him over injury prone Oden..

Salary is only 780k

TheGreatYacht
07-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Yeah because the FO is good at bringing in scrubs and turning them into decent players. Tim Duncan is eternal so we have all the time in the world to develop players.

Vic Petro
07-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Bernard James is 3 years older than Oden and still can't do anything on offense. He's in his prime right now. There is no upside to him.

Oden is 95% likely done but man, that 5% chance would be worth a minimum salary gamble to me. His ceiling is in another stratosphere from Bernard James.

coachmac87
07-20-2013, 03:35 PM
lol....Bernard James is almost guaranteed to be on the court and you cant say the same about Oden.... His Per 36min is 10pts 10reb and 3blk. Ill take that..

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah because the FO is good at bringing in scrubs and turning them into decent players. Tim Duncan is eternal so we have all the time in the world to develop players.

Are you seriously that stupid? The Spurs continuously get the most out of subpar players.

TheGreatYacht
07-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Are you seriously that stupid? The Spurs continuously get the most out of subpar players.Tim Duncan will play till he's 43 and Manu will play till he's 42. By then, Tony Parker will be 36. I hope the Big 3 will retire together. How stupid do I sound now?

Darkwaters
07-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Isn't Bernard James prior Air Force?

If I knew the gate to the rim was guarded by the Air Force I'd attack it all day long.

SenorSpur
07-20-2013, 03:50 PM
I was hoping the Spurs would've have a chance to draft James. He's a defensive-minded, loves to rebound and has demonstrated himself to be a true professional. Definitely sounds like Spurs material. He'll never develop into squat in a Mavs uniform because they have no desire and no clue as to how to develop young players. I'd certainly take a run at him.

Darkwaters
07-20-2013, 03:53 PM
I was hoping the Spurs would've have a chance to draft James. He's a defensive-minded, loves to rebound and has demonstrated himself to be a true professional. Definitely sounds like Spurs material. He'll never develop into squat in a Mavs uniform because they have no desire and no clue as to how to develop young players. I'd certainly take a run at him.

In all honesty I like him a lot myself. I had hoped he'd slip to us last year instead of Denmon. Of course, he went way higher than 59.

Still, hes a little older, and with only 1 pro season, which will make him less desirable to most teams. I'd be very interested, especially if we were to shed a big somewhere along the line.

Hoops Czar
07-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Are you seriously that stupid? The Spurs continuously get the most out of subpar players.
What have they gotten out of De Colo? They did a great job with Mahimni too.

coachmac87
07-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Yes he served in the Air Force over seas..Salute

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Tim Duncan will play till he's 43 and Manu will play till he's 42. By then, Tony Parker will be 36. I hope the Big 3 will retire together. How stupid do I sound now?
About as stupid as you always sound

SenorSpur
07-20-2013, 05:34 PM
In all honesty I like him a lot myself. I had hoped he'd slip to us last year instead of Denmon. Of course, he went way higher than 59.

Still, hes a little older, and with only 1 pro season, which will make him less desirable to most teams. I'd be very interested, especially if we were to shed a big somewhere along the line.

And that is partly why the Spurs should be interested. He didn't play much for the Mavs last year, but when he did, he held his own. Sure, he's limited offensively, but he focused his energy on rebounding, blocking shots and playing post defense. His limited media interviews were also very impressive. He strikes me as a very good teammate. A young, hungry player, who is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed at this level. At least, those were his words. The Spurs certainly have a liking for young players, who have endured unconventional paths to the NBA and this kid's path was not easy. Factoring in his military experience (he had 2 tours of duty that exposed him to live combat action), his professional maturity and his expressed willingness and desire to do the dirty work, I'd be surprised if the Spurs didn't take a look at him.

td4mvp2k
07-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Blair>Oden

Darkwaters
07-21-2013, 02:10 AM
And that is partly why the Spurs should be interested. He didn't play much for the Mavs last year, but when he did, he held his own. Sure, he's limited offensively, but he focused his energy on rebounding, blocking shots and playing post defense. His limited media interviews were also very impressive. He strikes me as a very good teammate. A young, hungry player, who is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed at this level. At least, those were his words. The Spurs certainly have a liking for young players, who have endured unconventional paths to the NBA and this kid's path was not easy. Factoring in his military experience (he had 2 tours of duty that exposed him to live combat action), his professional maturity and his expressed willingness and desire to do the dirty work, I'd be surprised if the Spurs didn't take a look at him.

I totally agree. He was the guy I was really hoping for in the draft last year at 59 (remember, we didn't have Baynes yet). I was hoping his advanced age (relative to the other draft picks of course) would make him undesirable. But of course he went 33.

The thing that made him so enticing was not only his skill, but his military service. I can scoff and mock the Air Force all day long, but the reality is abundantly clear. Compare and contrast a player with James' background to someone like suburban gangster wannabe JR Smith. Smith has played the fool for years and is a downright idiot. Sure, hes got some serious game - but being a moron will always hold him back. The military has a tendency to break some of those adolescent habits at a young age that players like JR Smith will take into their geriatric years. And things like work ethic and discipline obviously run hand-in-hand with it as well. And that's to say nothing about the fact that the guy is legitimately 6'10 and can ball. So yea, Bernard James would be a nice asset for the team. The only concern is do we have the space or need for him? For him I'd make the space somewhere, but would he want to sign with a team that might never get him on the court?

PS: Ok, I can't stand it. "Live combat action" is a totally relative term. This is especially true when comparing Air Force to every other service component; for the most part their jobs just aren't nearly as dangerous as most of the Marine and Army gigs. That's just reality. There was a guy from my unit that received the Medal of Honor from Mr. Obama a couple of years ago because our unit really did get in the shit. So airmen that thump their chests over a few stray mortars that hit 500 meters from them just makes me giggle a little. I'm not saying it isn't dangerous to just be in the country, because it is. But hearing a distant explosion and moving to a safe bunker is a very different kind of danger than shoving your face in the dirt as direct fire rounds whizz over your head - and then having to close with and engage the motherfucker that sent the gift. Sorry. [/rant]

dallasmaverickslose
07-21-2013, 02:24 AM
Tim Duncan will play till he's 43 and Manu will play till he's 42. By then, Tony Parker will be 36. I hope the Big 3 will retire together. How stupid do I sound now?

:troll

Kingsly Alexander
07-21-2013, 05:40 PM
:troll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW8ED1Ijea8