PDA

View Full Version : What the Hawks need the Spurs got

spurjur
07-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I know that the Hawks are in search of a Center. The Spurs have at least one that they can spare. Whether that be Nazr or Rasho. Who knows? What is known is that the Hawks need a center and a point guard. Tyron Lue isn't going to get the job done. They are looking at Salim while he plays in the summer league. Tony Delk is a free agent. Royal Ivey doesn't seem to be getting any closer to getting that job. As far as centers go they had Kevin Willis, but lets be real the guy is way past his time. I love the guy and I am very glad he got a ring with the Spurs, but he doesn't seem to be a factor. Jason Collier isn't anything to brag about. Tom Googs is a free agent and isn't any where near what he use to be. They have Michael Stewart, but who is Michael Stewart. This team is in serious need of a center and point. They are stacked in all other areas with tons of young talent. What it be possible to trade away are Slovenians to Atlanta for one of their small forwards? I know they are hoping to land a center with the all the money they have, but the guys they are targeting are restricted FA's. What do you people think?

George Gervin's Afro
07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
I am kind of following you on this one. I do think this is a viable idea ableit highly unlikely one. I am heistant to get rid of Rasho but with the salary cap we all know you can't keep everybody. Maybe Rasho and Beno would look attractive to them...or maybe not..

SpursChampsIII
07-19-2005, 11:54 AM
You would have to package Angel_Luv with Rasho and Beno to make that deal work :spin

spurjur
07-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Rasho is a true center and Beno is a young and talented point guard. Two things they are in need of.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Angel_luv is probably mad at me, but I am just wondering here.

SWC Bonfire
You would have to package Angel_Luv with Rasho and Beno to make that deal work :spin

:lol Don't forget Rashofan and some of the others - that may make it hard to match salaries.

Solid D
Trade Rasho Nesterovic straight up for Al Harrington. The salaries work (equivalent). Hawks get their "Big". Spurs get scoring and 6'9" SF in last year of his contract ($6M).

Reason for Hawks to do this deal. Harrington won't re-sign with them next year, they must know this. Rasho need a solid Big and the Hawks won't be strapped for cap space next year, or the next.

Reason for the Spurs to do this deal. Spurs are have plenty of Bigs and need a SF with size who can score. They get Harrington for 1 year and then can either resign or free up cap space for another SF in 2006-07.

SWC Bonfire
07-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Rasho is a true center and Beno is a young and talented point guard. Two things they are in need of.

True, but we need a backup P/G, and going with an old veteran as backup is not the best scenario.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 12:06 PM
I have always liked Al Harrington's game. I think he is a very good small forward. He would be outstanding in a Spurs uni. Not only that, the Spurs don't have him after next season unless they resign. I believe the Spurs have looked at Al Harrington before. I do doubt that the Hawks will look at Rasho until they have tried to bring Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, or Samuel D. However, the Sixers would be dumb if they were not to match the Hawks offer and the Bulls have to match their offer as well. E. Curry is questionable because of his health. The Hawks would get a bargain because Rasho doesn't have a huge contract.

Solid D
07-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Another possiblility: Spurs trade Rasho to Hawks for Boris Diaw and 2nd round draft pick. Diaw is low-dollar, defensive swingman and countryman of Tony. Diaw's contract has two option years after this season.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 12:13 PM
The Spurs can sign a veteran PG to backup Tony this offseason. Nick the quick might be avail. D. Armstrong might be another option.

JUUOT
07-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Solid D. the trades you propose are both my favouriet so far in the off-season.

harrington is not a franchise player and is not able to carry atlanta. but in the spurs system he would be great. even if it would be a short term solution and maybee the official end of Brown as a spur

diaw and 2nd round draft picks. diaw is an arguable choice. but he has syze and can play PG, SG and SF. good defender and really good passer. his confidence would really benefit from playing with best friend Tony parker.
2nd round draft picks are the spurs favorite and they nearly need them more than first. and Atlanta secound round is high ones usually.

i would pull the trigger on both. and you can trade either rasho or nazr

spurjur
07-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Wasn't Al Harrington a starter last year? Would he be OK coming off the bench? How close are Diaw and TP?

Bruno
07-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Wasn't Al Harrington a starter last year? Would he be OK coming off the bench? How close are Diaw and TP?

Diaw is TP best friend. Boris was with TP's family in Detroit and SA for the final. Al Harrington was a starter. I think he isn't a good fit for SA (especially in defense).

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2005, 12:32 PM
I've liked an Al Harrington for Rasho swap for a while now. Don't see it happening though, it makes too much sense :depressed

JUUOT
07-19-2005, 12:33 PM
the problem with diaw is:

you can not exactly call him an "energy sparkfrom the bench"

but he is a complete BBall player that could become great in role player situation for Spurs

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
We'll have to wait until Atlanta strikes out in the free agent market before offerring up these kinds of trades. Curry and Dalembert are still in play and Joe Johnson is penciled in until further notice.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Harrington makes a lot of sense from the Holt Cat perspective, but you still have Nazr's uncertain future. What would probably make sense is to see what you could get from the Hawks for Nazr. In this case, a lot would hinge on Oberto's play.

I'd be surprised to see a trade involving Rasho go down during the summer. He's definitely ripe for a midseason move, especially if Oberto excels in the NBA.

Twisted_Dawg
07-19-2005, 12:49 PM
The Spurs Will Not Trade Rasho Without First Getting An Extension From Narz.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 12:51 PM
I just don't see the Bulls and the Sixers letting go of their bigs. I do see Joe Johnson leaving because I think Phoenix feels they have the best chance of picking up Michael Finley if Dallas dumps him. However, how does this improve the Hawks? Why go after Joe Johnson if they have Marvin Williams, Josh Childress, and Donta Smith? I know Joe Johnson is more proven then these cats, but Joe Johnson doesn't fill their true need. I have a strange feeling that the Hawks will not be able to sign a big man because of the fact they are restricted FA's. This may lead them to look at trades and Rasho seems like a good option.

:king

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2005, 12:57 PM
The Spurs have a lot of things the Hawks would want. . .like 3 NBA titles.

I don't know if there is anything appealing about these trade possibilities beyond the Rasho for Harrington option mentioned by Solid D.

However, I still am not a big fan of trading away a decent big unless another decent big can be had in return.

Boo
07-19-2005, 01:03 PM
The Spurs Will Not Trade Rasho Without First Getting An Extension From Narz.

First spell NAZR correctly and then we can MAYBE go by your words.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 01:05 PM
If you are worried about getting a big in return, the Hawks can throw Jason Collier in the mix.

Jason would also be a free agent after this next season and wouldn't demand minutes.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 01:07 PM
If you are worried about getting a big in return, the Hawks can throw Jason Collier in the mix.

Jason would also be a free agent after this next season and wouldn't demand minutes.He would also stink.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-19-2005, 01:07 PM
I've liked an Al Harrington for Rasho swap for a while now. Don't see it happening though, it makes too much sense :depressed

exactly

spurs are going to end up getting another point gaurd or another center

they never do it right, just do what it takes to get us a good SF dammit lol

SWC Bonfire
07-19-2005, 01:12 PM
backup up PG? Beno/Barry/Manu can all play backup

Tim Duncan could play backup P/G as well. Doesn't mean that he is a point guard. They were talking about packaging Beno w/ Rasho (hence the Slovenians). Manu needs rest and is most effective when on the floor at the 2. Barry has been capable, but the intention all a long was for him to play backup 1 as an "emergency" option. The punter is usually the "emergency" QB for a lot of teams, that doesn't mean you want him seeing minutes in that slot.

Oh, wait, I see who posted the comment. :lol If God exists, the Spurs will have a backup PG.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Jason Collier would stink, but the Spurs already have Nazr and Oberto.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 01:28 PM
would a team want two players from Slovenia?

Seeing as the Spurs have already gotten several offers for Rasho and turned them down .. probably so.

Solid D
07-19-2005, 01:39 PM
backup up PG? Beno/Barry/Manu can all play backup

Or they could trade Beno for Tyronn Lue, then the backup PGs would be....

Barry-Manu-Lue
http://www.manilow.com/Calender%20photos/August.jpg

spurjur
07-19-2005, 01:58 PM
I don't like Lue's game. I'd rather have Beno, but if the Hawks wanted Beno thrown in the mix in order to give the Spurs Al Harrington then it would be all good. I just think the Spurs need to address their small forward need.

SWC Bonfire
07-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Barry-Manu-Lue
http://www.manilow.com/Calender%20photos/August.jpg

:lmao Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

Solid D
07-19-2005, 02:34 PM
I don't like Lue's game. I'd rather have Beno, but if the Hawks wanted Beno thrown in the mix in order to give the Spurs Al Harrington then it would be all good. I just think the Spurs need to address their small forward need.

:lol That went right on by you there didn't it, spurjur? Barry Manilow isn't my thing either, but it was good for a laugh.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 02:54 PM
It did go by me. Its been a long day. It started off kind of bad with a death in the family. Its getting better though.

However, now that I look back at that joke I realize that was classic. I needed that.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 02:57 PM
i havent heard of any official offers were Spurs close on any of these dealsWhat is an "official offer" anyway?

spurjur
07-19-2005, 03:00 PM
That Barry Manilow pic looks like Vinny Del Negro if you scroll up really fast. Dang I'm cracking up.

sickdsm
07-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Did anyone bother to mention that Al Harrington was on a championship caliber, if not as close, team in Indiana and he demanded an out since he needed to start?

Why ask "do you think he'd be comfortable with that" now?

Solid D
07-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Sorry about your news and the rough day though, spurjur.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Its cool. Being here at work kind of helps and the Spurs topics help too. I wasn't really close, but it still kind of hits you.

Anyway, the Al Harrington possibility is something that is very insteresting.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Center Rasho Nesterovic has generated some trade interest among other teams, though the Spurs have yet to find a deal they like.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 03:26 PM
There has to be a team that needs a true center like Atlanta and Rasho seems to be avail.

spurjur
07-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Center Rasho Nesterovic has generated some trade interest among other teams, though the Spurs have yet to find a deal they like.

Maybe Atlanta hasn't made any offers because of the Dalembert/Curry/Chandler issue. If I were Atlanta I'd take my chance at offering Chandler a deal and see if the Bulls match. If the Bulls match no biggie. Its not like they are going to miss out on a lot of centers who are free agents. Not only that, they can always trade for one.

rascal
07-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Another possiblility: Spurs trade Rasho to Hawks for Boris Diaw and 2nd round draft pick. Diaw is low-dollar, defensive swingman and countryman of Tony. Diaw's contract has two option years after this season.

No the spurs all ready have a defensive minded sf. They need to add a sf with some scoing ability.

JUUOT
07-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Duncan, ginobili and parker... do you add defensive role player to the mix or a scorer?
knowing pop is coach lol

Horry For 3!
07-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Harrington was in the running for Sixth-Man Award with the Pacers. In 03-04 he was behind Jamison for Sixth-Man Award. Why wouldn't he be okay coming off the bench if he has his whole career until last year?!?

spurjur
07-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Harrington was in the running for Sixth-Man Award with the Pacers. In 03-04 he was behind Jamison for Sixth-Man Award. Why wouldn't he be okay coming off the bench if he has his whole career until last year?!?

I forgot about that. Well, I think he would be able to come off the bench and once Bowen is gone (retires) he would be a starter. Well, that's if he were to resign.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Why wouldn't he be okay coming off the bench if he has his whole career until last year?!?Isn't that why he wanted to be out of Indiana in the first place?

SpursChampsIII
07-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Will you all please stop this talk about Harrington...that would just be too good to be true! Don't think for one second that Harrington wouldn't jump at the chance to come here. He would probably get equal minutes with Bowen, if not more, right away.

Brutalis
07-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Trade Rasho Nesterovic straight up for Al Harrington. The salaries work (equivalent). Hawks get their "Big". Spurs get scoring and 6'9" SF in last year of his contract ($6M).

Reason for Hawks to do this deal. Harrington won't re-sign with them next year, they must know this. Rasho need a solid Big and the Hawks won't be strapped for cap space next year, or the next.

Reason for the Spurs to do this deal. Spurs are have plenty of Bigs and need a SF with size who can score. They get Harrington for 1 year and then can either resign or free up cap space for another SF in 2006-07.

Agreed. I'm calling Buford now.

Mark in Austin
07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Harrington makes a lot of sense from the Holt Cat perspective, but you still have Nazr's uncertain future. What would probably make sense is to see what you could get from the Hawks for Nazr. In this case, a lot would hinge on Oberto's play.

I'd be surprised to see a trade involving Rasho go down during the summer. He's definitely ripe for a midseason move, especially if Oberto excels in the NBA.

I agree completely with what MB says here. Rasho doesn't go anywhere unless Nazr is locked up or there is another C waiting in the wings. The Spurs are too smart to risk losing two starting calibre centers.

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Rasho and Rights to Scola for Josh Childress and a first rd pick.

Dave McNulla
07-20-2005, 08:49 AM
if i were rc, which i'm not, i would want a josh for rasho.