PDA

View Full Version : NBA: players you would love to see in their prime playing 2day

RsxPiimp
07-21-2013, 03:48 PM
if you can bring 3 players in any era in their prime to play in this era, who would it be and why? yeah, its the low point of the season so we might as well talk mo basketball.

i know most of y'all would pick Michael Jordan but personally, i'd like to see a prime ewing with the melo era knicks. i think that team would discombobulate a lot of pretenders mainly the heat :lol

in the west, i obviously wanna see a prime robinson playing with the now tosb duncan and see how they hold up next year.

third player is kobe bryant. i wanna see 2006 kobe in d'antoni's system. i bet this guy averages 42 ppg next season, and be the #1 best player in the game again all while leading the lakers to 50+ wins and at least a wcf appearance.

spurraider21
07-21-2013, 03:52 PM
MJ, Duncan, and Wilt

i always want to see Duncan in his prime

Thread
07-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Bob McAdoo, he was unstoppable with Buffalo in the '70's. The slingshot jumper a thing of beauty.

Bernard King, a scoring machine with a powerful chest he used to get the separation needed to enable his height.

Cedric Ceballos, could use the baseline behind the window to get his shots better than anybody I've seen before or since. Just incredible.

AchillesHeel
07-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Kobe Bryant

I'd love to see the 09 Lakers face the 13 Heat in an NBA Finals (I would have taken this yrs lakers vs heat instead of 6, tbh), Lebron would make Kirby shoot 20% for the series while avging a triple double on that punk Ariza.

Thread
07-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Kobe Bryant

I'd love to see the 09 Lakers face the 13 Heat in an NBA Finals (I would have taken this yrs lakers vs heat instead of 6, tbh), Lebron would make Kirby shoot 20% for the series while avging a triple double on that punk Ariza.

Just answer the fucking question before I forget I'm old and give you a box with 5 handles.

Savvy?

ShinerBlack
07-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Wilt, Pistol Pete, and I'm cheating here by picking 2 for that third spot Dr. J and the Iceman

AchillesHeel
07-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Just answer the fucking question before I forget I'm old and give you a box with 5 handles.

Savvy?

StrengthAndHonor
07-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Wilt
Jordan
Magic

Having these guys play in today's era would answer all the lingering questions.

Thread
07-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Wilt
Jordan
Magic

Having these guys play in today's era would answer all the lingering questions.

Bend over. I'll answer a lingering fuckin' question.

StrengthAndHonor
07-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Is Wilt overrated? Can he really dominate in any era?
Is Jordan better than Lebron?
Can a prime Earvin turn this Lakers into a contender

Katherine Robinson
07-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Magic Johnson and Larry Bird so that the NBA would have an entertaining rivalry once again, instead of chimpanzee circus shows.

StrengthAndHonor
07-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Bend over. I'll answer a lingering fuckin' question.i wants it missionary Dale.

Robz4000
07-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Tim Duncan, Bill Russell, and Wilt Chamberlain. Wanna see how TD would compare to his GOAT peers, and see how Russell would do in today's NBA.

Chief Brody
07-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Bob McAdoo, he was unstoppable with Buffalo in the '70's. The slingshot jumper a thing of beauty.

Bernard King, a scoring machine with a powerful chest he used to get the separation needed to enable his height.

Cedric Ceballos, could use the baseline behind the window to get his shots better than anybody I've seen before or since. Just incredible.

:tu

Chief Brody
07-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Would've been nice to see Derrick Coleman not completely waste his prime, either.

Bill Walton also had an incredible, but abbreviated prime.

dbestpro
07-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Wilt, Pistol Pete, and I'm cheating here by picking 2 for that third spot Dr. J and the Iceman

nice picks.

ShinerBlack
07-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Tim Duncan, Bill Russell, and Wilt Chamberlain. Wanna see how TD would compare to his GOAT peers, and see how Russell would do in today's NBA.

This but have them all in the mid 90s when dominant big men were the norm. That would have been something to see.

ambchang
07-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Kobe Bryant. I love watching top 10 player of all time missing the playoffs in his prime with o significant injuries. It happened only once in the modern nba, and is likely to never happen again.

Robinson with the spurs to see how he could do with a pg who can make more than one three pointer in his career.

Russell to see if he is a glorified Ben Wallace or a franchise making defensive player.

AchillesHeel
07-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Kobe Bryant. I love watching top 10 player of all time missing the playoffs in his prime with o significant injuries. It happened only once in the modern nba, and is likely to never happen again.

Robinson with the spurs to see how he could do with a pg who can make more than one three pointer in his career.

Russell to see if he is a glorified Ben Wallace or a franchise making defensive player.

:toast

ShinerBlack
07-21-2013, 04:52 PM
nice picks.

Wish I had caught on to sports when I was a bit younger then I could cross Dr J and Iceman off the list.

whitemamba
07-21-2013, 05:13 PM
I would personally like to see GreatYachts Momma in her prime...

Thread
07-21-2013, 05:14 PM

That's 6 talking.

TheRealCB
07-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Hakeem Olajuwon,just to see him make fun of today's centers.
Larry Bird,for obvious reasons.

And although I've seen some of his prime,I'd like to see him again at full speed,Tracy McGrady..

stxspurs
07-21-2013, 05:56 PM
ive been lucky to see alot of the guys playing now in their prime. i would love to see..Dr J, Arvydas sabonis, heard he was awesome before he came over the NBA and ofcourse Iceman and Gilmore.

JamStone
07-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Some good names mentioned already. I like the Bernard King and Pete Maravich mentions. I'm old enough to have watched and remember watching guys like Jordan, Magic, Bird, Isiah, Hakeem, Barkley, Nique. Some of the mid 80s all star games were truly amazing.

The two guys I'd have love to watch live in their prime are Earl Monroe and Oscar Robertson. It would be interesting to see how magical Black Jesus was with the ball and how athletically dominating Oscar was against his competition.

I do think watching some of those older guys play might change the perception a little bit. Sometimes, time and legend have a way of skewing how good some players were. Michael Jordan is viewed as almost perfect and infallible, Bird a guy who would never ever miss a clutch shot, and Elgin Baylor a LeBron type before LeBron. But watching them even just a dozen or so times a year for a couple years in their prime, we'd get to see their share of flaws, weaknesses, and poor games. Legend has a way of making players we never watched into something of tall tale superheroes. And on the flipside, the guys we watch right now, we do get to see their every flaw, their every bad game, and maybe we don't appreciate them quite as much as people 20-30 years from now will. If Kobe and LeBron played in the 60s or 70s, they might be viewed now similarly to Magic and Bird in terms of not being talked about nearly as much for the negative things about their games but only the fact that they were great players who won a lot. But I don't know... just an opinion.

Rogue
07-21-2013, 08:57 PM
I watched the prime MJ on TV and he was just incredible and unstoppable, dude could score at will and made the opponents seem about to cry. Nonetheless, if I could pick one player of his prime to play in today's league I'd choose the other MJ. I was too young at the time to watch how damn great the prime Magic was. Dude is always regarded as the #2 of all time and it'd be interesting to see him kicking asses in the current league. Magic would also be able to do everything on the court like Lebron so it would be fun to watch the Magic vs. Bron matchup imho

Michael Jordan.
07-21-2013, 09:02 PM
McGrady was a fckin monster in his prime

xu1XfcqQ8yM

TXstbobcat
07-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Gervin (because I didn't get to see him play)
Wilt Chamberlain
David Robinson

Thread
07-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Gervin (because I didn't get to see him play)- check
Wilt Chamberlain- check
David Robinson- no. He was difficult and uncomfortable to watch. Everything came too hard-too difficult. I liken it to watching James now. Neither could figure it out.

Leetonidas
07-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Prime players I've always wanted to see play with prime Timmy

KG
Dirk

and of course, prime Robinson with prime Duncan, since D-Rob was on the downswing when Timmy came to town

Leetonidas
07-21-2013, 11:58 PM
As for players I've never seen who I'd like to see in today's league in their prime:

Julius Erving
Larry Bird
Isiah Thomas

Koolaid_Man
07-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Tim Duncan..knowing what I know now..man I'd have a field day

Rogue
07-22-2013, 01:11 AM
I didn't watch much of Dampier before he came to Dallas so I'd also like to see how great the prime Dampier was if possible. I just wanna see how great he was to earn that lucrative contract from Dallas and be our starting C for some 5yrs. We dumped his ass in 10' summer and we immediately won a ring the year after

TDMVPDPOY
07-22-2013, 03:38 AM
wtf do you clowns always steal fkn threads from realgm and post that shit in here?

#2!
07-22-2013, 04:58 AM

Always been really curious about this.

As a Spurs fan I'd love to see a pre-prime Tim Duncan. I'd say his prime was during the MVP years, but I'd rather see him before his knee surgery in 2000 flying around the court.

I'd also like to see how Bird fares. His shooting would obviously hold up, but does the NBA have a level of athleticism at the 3 spot to negate some of his other skills. Or do his intangibles still win out?

Arnold Toht
07-22-2013, 05:13 AM
Kobe Bryant

Pathetic Spurs fan jumping on the Heat's jock because you couldn't put them out in 6. Simply pathetic. You should be bragging about how the 09 Lakers would be destroyed by the 13 Spurs, instead you have nothing.

AchillesHeel
07-22-2013, 05:26 AM
Pathetic Spurs fan jumping on the Heat's jock because you couldn't put them out in 6. Simply pathetic. You should be bragging about how the 09 Lakers would be destroyed by the 13 Spurs, instead you have nothing.

Shut the fuck up you pathetic troll. I know we lost and I can't undo the damage. I've learnt to live with it, you should too.

09 Lakers wouldn't have destroyed the 13 Spurs. It would be a close series because 09 Lakers are nowhere near as good as the 2013 Heat.

Arnold Toht
07-22-2013, 05:30 AM
09 Lakers wouldn't have destroyed the 13 Spurs.

Then man the fuck up and say that. You deferred to the Heat, period.

AchillesHeel
07-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Then man the fuck up and say that. You deferred to the Heat, period.

I was talkingi about a hypothetical finals mathcup between prime Kirby and prime Lebron, Lebron's team is obviously better and 2013 Spurs almost beat them, 09 Lakers would still be a good match-up with the Spurs because of prime Gasol but ultimately Kirby would fuck up as he always does.

JMarkJohns
07-22-2013, 06:05 AM
Love most of the answers already given, especially big men like Russell, Chamberlain, Walton, Olajuwon.

Some non-conventional answers include Manute Bol, Spud Webb and Mugsy Bogues, just cause. Webb specifically.

But my real answer is Sam Perkins and Larry Nance. I think both were players ahead of their time. Nobody knew what to do with Perkins, but this era of stretch fours might better use his skills, and Nance would shit all over the modern athleticism-based PF like Griffin, and was one of the original hybrid forwards.

But mostly I want to see Perkins' smooth shot, and Nance dunk again.

Clipper Nation
07-22-2013, 06:24 AM
Duncan
Grant Hill
Hakeem
Yao

Captivus
07-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Bynum
Rose

SourCandy
07-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Wanted to see prime shaq play Howard. Or even prime Robinson or karl malone play Howard. Just to answer some questions.

Thread
07-22-2013, 10:26 AM
^Here's another question, bitch:::do you know how to jump start a Vienna Sausage?

ambchang
07-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Wanted to see prime shaq play Howard. Or even prime Robinson or karl malone play Howard. Just to answer some questions.

A prime Daughtery will destroy Howard.

StrengthAndHonor
07-22-2013, 11:45 AM
A prime Daughtery will destroy Howard.

Fuck, I think Bill Cartwright would destroy Howard. Tom Chambers would annihilate Howard. Rik Smits would clown Howard all day.

StrengthAndHonor
07-22-2013, 11:48 AM
A few more players I'd love to see in this era. Tim Hardaway, Webber and Sprewell.

mudyez
07-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Of course I would bring back guys like Robinson or prime Manu, but let's go the no Spurs route

Bird because I want to know how he does against die LeBrons, Durants and Melos of the world.

and

Wilt as I'm curious if he also is a monster against guys like Andrew Bogut or David West.

Thread
07-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Webber

At prime he was near beautiful.

For a big man he could move.

Sportcamper
07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Magic Johnson and Larry Bird so that the NBA would have an entertaining rivalry once again, instead of chimpanzee circus shows.

BRUTAL... :lol

CitizenDwayne
07-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Russell
Ewing
Terry Cummings
Elgin Baylor
Jerry West

Thread
07-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Terry Cummings

Yes. He had that nice over the head release.