PDA

View Full Version : Jay Mohr

johnsmith
07-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Does anyone like his show? I was a clone, so I didn't expect him to fill Rome's shoes, but I think his show is one of the worst sports talk shows on the radio.

leemajors
07-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Joke thief.

ChumpDumper
He is a funny guy, but a sports show host should really know something about sports.

johnsmith
That's the thing, I think he does know about sports but he NEVER fucking talks about them.

johnsmith
07-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Joke thief.

Really? Is there a back story about this? I never heard about that.

Blake
07-22-2013, 01:58 PM
He is a funny guy, but a sports show host should really know something about sports.

Yeah, I've shaken my head at some of his "takes"

Come to think, seems to me I recall him admitting his basketball strategy/rule knowledge is rather limited.

Chief Brody
07-22-2013, 02:00 PM
I was a clone too, and Jay Mohr is the worst thing I've ever heard on the radio. His delivery and persistent "lemme scream every word into the mic" wankery is just brutal. J.T. the Brick at least got better with time and developed a good late night rapport with Looney for a few years. The Cablinasian wasn't great as a host either, but the worst clone by far is Jay Mohr

johnsmith
07-22-2013, 02:02 PM
I was a clone too, and Jay Mohr is the worst thing I've ever heard on the radio. His delivery and persistent "lemme scream every word into the mic" wankery is just brutal. J.T. the Brick at least got better with time and developed a good late night rapport with Looney for a few years. The Cablinasian wasn't great as a host either, but the worst clone by far is Jay Mohr

Exactly...I drive a lot for my job an I'd rather listen to local Austin guys over Mohr. He was fine as a fill in host for Rome because it was a change of pace, but all the time is awful.

I wish CBS radio was on around here.

Chief Brody
07-22-2013, 02:03 PM
I used to dread when Jay Mohr or the Sklar Bros were fill-in hosts.

JMarkJohns
07-22-2013, 02:03 PM
His TV show Mohr Sports failed on Fox Sports about a decade ago. Zero idea why they thought it'd work on radio.

johnsmith
07-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I've shaken my head at some of his "takes"

Come to think, seems to me I recall him admitting his basketball strategy/rule knowledge is rather limited.

I also don't like when radio show hosts disregard sports (hockey) and then admit they don't know much about some sports....you're a fucking sports radio show host, my dream job, fucking learn about the sports.

johnsmith
07-22-2013, 02:05 PM
I wonder what the ratings have been like? Anyone know where to find them?

Blake
07-22-2013, 02:06 PM
I wonder what the ratings have been like? Anyone know where to find them?

He's been claiming he's been kicking ass in the ratings

Chief Brody
07-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Who was your fav. clone, btw? Iafrate, Terrence in Sierra Madre, Silk Brah, Otis in Austin were all great, but Brad in Corona (a late bloomer to the show) is my GOAT, tbh.

Chief Brody
07-22-2013, 02:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiWxsHsv4ZY

johnsmith
07-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Who was your fav. clone btw? Iafrate, Terrence in Sierra Madre, Silk Brah, Otis in Austin were all good, but Brad in Corona (a late bloomer to the show) is my GOAT, tbh.

I started listening to Rome in 97 and silk was such a regular back then that I always sorta liked him.

I hated that Sonnen won the last smack off.

lebomb
07-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Who was your fav. clone, btw? Iafrate, Terrence in Sierra Madre, Silk Brah, Otis in Austin were all great, but Brad in Corona (a late bloomer to the show) is my GOAT, tbh.

The two Dentist brothers Detolas? (spelling) were funny as hell....................

Blake

The one that rolled with "NERDS NERDS NERDS" during the smack off, imo

Chief Brody
honorable mention to Jim in Fall River's donkey:lol

Chief Brody
07-22-2013, 02:12 PM
The two Dentist brothers Detolas? (spelling) were funny as hell....................
Doc-Mike and Jeff:tu

johnsmith
07-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Also, the addition of the hack off for the past few years was my favorite "bit" of all time...I honestly had to pull over once last year because I was laughing so hard.

johnsmith
07-22-2013, 02:13 PM
I went to a tour stop in Austin and one in Denver...if you neve went to those, you missed out.

Chief Brody
07-22-2013, 02:16 PM
The one that rolled with "NERDS NERDS NERDS" during the smack off, imo
Brad in the '09 smack-off

Also, the addition of the hack off for the past few years was my favorite "bit" of all time...I honestly had to pull over once last year because I was laughing so hard.
When one of the clones finished his call with "War bums fighting ducks for bread" I nearly caused a serious traffic accident

I went to a tour stop in Austin and one in Denver...if you neve went to those, you missed out.
Never got the chance:depressed

johnsmith
07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Brad in the '09 smack-off

When one of the clones finished his call with "War bums fighting ducks for bread" I nearly caused a serious traffic accident

Never got the chance:depressed

The tour stop at Dell diamond was fucking crazy...it was rowdy crowd and everyone was just fucked up...I was 23ish at the time too so it was right up my alley at the time.

Chief Brody
07-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Couple classics from Jim in Fall River:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llGzoq3aP_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA94hVs37ps

Blake
07-22-2013, 02:30 PM
I haven't checked, is Rome even on the radio any more?

Oh, Gee!!
07-22-2013, 02:32 PM
I prefer Rome, but mohr isn't bad. he has enough guests to make up for his lack of sports knowledge.

johnsmith
07-22-2013, 02:34 PM
I prefer Rome, but mohr isn't bad. he has enough guests to make up for his lack of sports knowledge.

Agreed...that's what save him...other than that though, he's garbage.

TeyshaBlue
07-22-2013, 02:46 PM
It's indistinguishable from a Matthew Mc Conaughey talk show.

ohmwrecker
07-22-2013, 02:46 PM
I hate Jim Rome. If he's off the air, I don't give a shit who replaces him.

Oh, Gee!!
07-22-2013, 02:48 PM
he does a great Walken

baseline bum
07-22-2013, 03:38 PM
I also don't like when radio show hosts disregard sports (hockey) and then admit they don't know much about some sports....you're a fucking sports radio show host, my dream job, fucking learn about the sports.

Rome always scoffed soccer and nascar though, hilariously I might add. He got years of material out of the Mexican soccer fans at the LA Coliseum throwing bags of urine at the US team. :lol

symple19
07-22-2013, 03:55 PM
I haven't checked, is Rome even on the radio any more?

Yeah. He's on CBS sports radio

symple19
07-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Rome always scoffed soccer and nascar though, hilariously I might add. He got years of material out of the Mexican soccer fans at the LA Coliseum throwing bags of urine at the US team. :lol

He's changed his tune on both. Even though I'm a huge soccer fan, I always laughed at his assault on Soccer. Very strange to hear him talk about it now

symple19
07-22-2013, 04:11 PM
What is really weird about the show now is that J-Stew is gone. His final show was hilarious, with him reprising his legendary karaoke performance of "Better Man" while Rome did his sports takes

Chief Brody
07-22-2013, 04:25 PM
He's changed his tune on both. Even though I'm a huge soccer fan, I always laughed at his assault on Soccer. Very strange to hear him talk about it now
I know he softened on NASCAR, but it hurts to hear he's done the same with soccer. I remember when he had his 8 y/o (I think 8) son Jake on the show and he chastised him for playing soccer and embarrassing the family:lol

baseline bum
07-22-2013, 04:34 PM

Wow, nigga sold out. Used to be he'd call every driver Ernie and talk about how all the rednecks hated Jeff Gordon for being a SoCal and beating the shit out of all the Ernies. No more left turn smack? :cry

baseline bum
07-22-2013, 04:35 PM
What is really weird about the show now is that J-Stew is gone. His final show was hilarious, with him reprising his legendary karaoke performance of "Better Man" while Rome did his sports takes

Sorry man, Stevie Carbone will always be the real phoneslap tbh.

baseline bum
07-22-2013, 04:37 PM
I know he softened on NASCAR, but it hurts to hear he's done the same with soccer. I remember when he had his 8 y/o (I think 8) son Jake on the show and he chastised him for playing soccer and embarrassing the family:lol

I wish I listened after the US knocked Mexico out of the world cup. Shit must have been hilarious.

Rogue
07-22-2013, 06:07 PM
sports talkshows are garbage in general. they often sound like a bunch of kids discussing the Dragon ball cartoon show that they watched last night, and predicting how the story is going on in today's new episode. I'd rather listen to political shows or shows concerning relationship/family/trivia, at least you can get some honest advice and truth bombs from those shows

leemajors
07-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Really? Is there a back story about this? I never heard about that.

Involves a story about tracy morgan and a comedian known as the machine.

Biernutz
07-23-2013, 12:55 AM
I gave Jay about 3 weeks. I listen to a lot of sports radio and he is just bad. Like uncle Wally bad.