PDA

View Full Version : PTR: What can the Spurs expect from Jeff Pendergraph?

Dex
07-22-2013, 03:50 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/7/20/4540092/nba-free-agency-spurs-jeff-pendergraph

While Pendergraph doesn't really do any one thing exceedingly well, he seems like a pretty well-rounded player and considering the Spurs have a couple of specialty bigs, someone like Jeff will allow Pop to mix and match. Of course, for Pendergraph to succeed, he needs to consistently hit those open jumpers and show hustle and BBIQ. The competition for a spot in the rotation will be fierce and I wouldn't be surprised if Pendergraph starts the season as the last big in the depth chart. I would be surprised, however, if he doesn't crack the rotation at some point. Pendy is not a great player and will likely max out at "good third big" but his skill set fits the Spurs' needs too well to stay in the deep bench for long.

Will be interesting to see what this guy can bring off the bench.

Will also be interesting to see if Matt Bonner will still be there to compete for minutes. Blair's minutes should be up for grabs, provided they don't go to Baynes.

TheGreatYacht
07-22-2013, 03:52 PM
While Pendergraph doesn't really do any one thing exceedingly well, he seems like a pretty well-rounded player and considering the Spurs have a couple of specialty bigs, someone like Jeff will allow Pop to mix and match. Of course, for Pendergraph to succeed, he needs to consistently hit those open jumpers and show hustle and BBIQ. The competition for a spot in the rotation will be fierce and I wouldn't be surprised if Pendergraph starts the season as the last big in the depth chart. I would be surprised, however, if he doesn't crack the rotation at some point. Pendy is not a great player and will likely max out at "good third big" but his skill set fits the Spurs' needs too well to stay in the deep bench for long. :lmao ^

slick'81
07-22-2013, 04:49 PM
I still say he's behind bonner and diaw in the pf rotation

rascal
07-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Not much

Hoops Czar
07-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Anybody with a pulse knows he's not a great player. You don't waste part of the MLE on a guy like this. A prototypical Spurs move to try to find lightning in a bottle instead of going after proven talent. I can't even call R.C. a cheap bastard because he overpaid.

tesseractive
07-22-2013, 04:57 PM
I still say he's behind bonner and diaw in the pf rotation
Until he's proven himself on the team, I think that's right. I still hope he'll be able to pass Bonner on the depth chart sometime this year, though. Bonner's better as a pure situational guy to pull slow defenders out of the paint than he is as a regular part of the rotation as the 4th big.

Budkin
07-22-2013, 05:00 PM
I still don't understand this signing in the slightest. I'd never even heard of the guy. Hope they know something we don't.

Hoops Czar
07-22-2013, 05:06 PM
I still don't understand this signing in the slightest. I'd never even heard of the guy. Hope they know something we don't.
RC Buford didn't have a Clue. He took the advice of Indiana assistant. Not surprisingly, the Pacers didn't think he was worth more than the league minimum.

chrhawk
07-22-2013, 05:07 PM
I can see Pendergraph playing back-up center with Diaw. Let's not forget that Duncan will be 38 next season, so Pop is going to need as many big bodies as he can get next season. More than likely we will see Duncan getting a lot more rest. And if the Spurs keep Bonner, he can serve as a regular season minutes eater. I see the same thing happening with Ginobili's playing time next season.

sananspursfan21
07-22-2013, 05:13 PM

i mean, i youtubed him and seemed like he could be half decent. he's athletic and his selling point is his weird but accurate midrange game. the OP seemed relatively spot on about him being nothing special but a nice catalyst to step in and I think I like him to back up for injuries should they arise

Sean Cagney
07-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Oh so he is no Horry we have been missing lol.

TheGoldStandard
07-22-2013, 05:23 PM
He'll keep his part of the bench really warm.

Solid D
07-22-2013, 05:33 PM
The Spurs will rely on player development from within for improvement...as they have done with many of their other players.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Hoops Czar's posts make me feel better about this signing.

DPG21920
07-22-2013, 05:43 PM
The Spurs will rely on player development from within for improvement...as they have done with many of their other players.

So are you saying that signing FA's with no corporate knowledge is essentially useless? I am not sure what your above statement means with regards to the OP's question.

Solid D
07-22-2013, 06:16 PM
So are you saying that signing FA's with no corporate knowledge is essentially useless? I am not sure what your above statement means with regards to the OP's question.

No, no. Not at all what I am saying. Actual player development is what I am saying. Every Spurs' player, even guys on make-good contracts, have their own PD plan. Chad Forcier and Chip Engelland are in place for that purpose. The other assistants help in this...but PD is Chad's and Chip's primary focus.

Corporate knowledge is a whole other topic.

DPG21920
07-22-2013, 06:19 PM
No, no. Not at all what I am saying. Actual player development is what I am saying. Every Spurs' player, even guys on make-good contracts, have their own PD plan. Chad Forcier and Chip Engelland are in place for that purpose. The other assistants help in this...but PD is Chad's and Chip's primary focus.

Corporate knowledge is a whole other topic.

Ahhh, I see what you meant. Makes sense.

2centsworth
07-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Pendy has natural ability. At this point he no more than James Anderson. I think he contributes

Rogue
07-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Spurs just bought him as an insurance imho. He would get called up into the rotation should any big get injured but I don't see Pop grant him a spot in the rotation at this point of time, or any time soon, unless he makes some breakthroughs in his game and manages to impress Pop during the training camp

benefactor
07-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Indeed. Seems everything he says the exact opposite comes to pass.

TXstbobcat
07-22-2013, 10:12 PM
He will get his playing time in blowouts or if another big gets injured.

Hoops Czar
07-22-2013, 10:18 PM

De Colo just passed gas in your direction.

Hoops Czar
07-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Indeed. Seems everything he says the exact opposite comes to pass.
For a team that's in win now mode, this signing makes no sense. Using part of the MLE on him made even less sense.

benefactor
07-22-2013, 10:26 PM
That settles it. I'm fucking pumped about him now.

monkeypunk
07-22-2013, 10:32 PM
That settles it. I'm fucking pumped about him now.

:rollin

RD2191
07-22-2013, 10:32 PM
:lmao

TheGreatYacht
07-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Indeed. Seems everything he says the exact opposite comes to pass.He's probably a Spurs homer that tries to have a positive attitude. SMH... I've seen plenty of those.
Spurs just bought him as an insurance imho. He would get called up into the rotation should any big get injured but I don't see Pop grant him a spot in the rotation at this point of time, or any time soon, unless he makes some breakthroughs in his game and manages to impress Pop during the training campHe was a little expensive to be an insurance player. Whatever, I don't give a fuck. If he can't play and turns out to be the scrub that his numbers show, then Pop shouldn't feel forced to play him. I rather give Baynes a shot.

Solid D
07-22-2013, 11:02 PM
It hasn't been confirmed that Jeff's contract is guaranteed for even the first year, has it? As I suggested earlier, unless I missed it, his 2/$4M deal might be like Haislip's make-good contract several years ago.

playblair
07-23-2013, 12:05 AM

dg7md
07-23-2013, 05:52 AM
It's a stretch to expect amazing things, but he's a solid garbageman that will likely improve within our system.

I liked the signing personally, but we need a lot more help with some more proven SF and another quality big if we want to get back to the Finals.

I think he should be replacing Blair and/or Bonner. He seems like he's got some toughness, which is what the Spurs often lack with our softer Euros.

Mr Bones
07-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Anything more than 15 mpg and a PER of 15 would be a bonus.

Bruno
07-23-2013, 09:10 AM
It hasn't been confirmed that Jeff's contract is guaranteed for even the first year, has it? As I suggested earlier, unless I missed it, his 2/$4M deal might be like Haislip's make-good contract several years ago.

Pendergraph contract is fully guaranteed with a first year at $1,750,000 and a second year at $1,828,750.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/san-antonio-spurs-team-salary ("Link)

Haislip's contract wasn't a make-good contract. It was a 2 years min salary contract with the first year being fully guaranteed.

and I Know hoopsworld... but their salary sheets are very well made with league sources.

spurspokesman
07-23-2013, 09:59 AM
I expect nothing..... Here is to hoping he exceeds my expectations

Taking it to the Hole
07-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Somehow I just see him in Pop's doghouse after the first game he sees minutes in (ala Blair). Not to say he won't improve but I just worry about him not being able to get consistent minutes in our system to be a regular contributor.

Solid D
07-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Pendergraph contract is fully guaranteed with a first year at $1,750,000 and a second year at $1,828,750.

Haislip's contract wasn't a make-good contract. It was a 2 years min salary contract with the first year being fully guaranteed.

and I Know hoopsworld... but their salary sheets are very well made with league sources.

Hmm, thanks. Sham had Haislip costing the Spurs $462,808 after he was waived after 10 games:
http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/2010/spurs.jsp

Bruno
07-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Hmm, thanks. Sham had Haislip costing the Spurs $462,808 after he was waived after 10 games:
http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/2010/spurs.jsp

Haislip asked to be released and agreed to forfeit his remaining guaranteed salary because he barely played with Spurs and had a big offer waiting for him in Europe.

Solid D
07-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Haislip asked to be released and agreed to forfeit his remaining guaranteed salary because he barely played with Spurs and had a big offer waiting for him in Europe.

Thanks for the explanation, Bruno.

Maddog
07-23-2013, 05:46 PM

Hmm that really isn't a terrible contract. Looks like he has some useful skills.

spurraider21
07-23-2013, 07:11 PM
:lobt2:

Chomag
07-23-2013, 08:38 PM
He would have been a decent signing had they not wasted half the MLE for him.

spurraider21
07-23-2013, 09:04 PM
^pretty much this

Obstructed_View
07-23-2013, 09:10 PM
If he can crack the rotation deeper into the season than Blair did, and if he can steal minutes from Bonner, then win.

BackHome
07-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Bonner helps us win games in regular season and then Pendergraph can take over if Bonner and Splitters nuts shrivel up again in Play Offs.

Play him every game five to ten minutes to get him ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wildbill2u
07-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Look on the bright side. He may be our only big that can jump over a matchbook on the floor. That's not a terribly high ceiling for him to reach as a bench player.

Darkwaters
07-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Hmm that really isn't a terrible contract. Looks like he has some useful skills.

No it isn't. Nobody was ever really that upset about the total dollar amount. What pissed people off was that it was taken from the MLE, and not cap space. This meant that every dollar sent to Pendergraph reduced dollar for dollar our ability to sign someone with MLE money...namely AK47.

K-State Spur
07-24-2013, 10:59 AM
No it isn't. Nobody was ever really that upset about the total dollar amount. What pissed people off was that it was taken from the MLE, and not cap space. This meant that every dollar sent to Pendergraph reduced dollar for dollar our ability to sign someone with MLE money...namely AK47.

If your disappointment is specific to AK47, then it should be noted that all indications are that he was asking much more than the MLE of the Spurs (he opted out of 10M because he wanted a multi-year deal where he would take a discount, but probably not a steep one) - which is why they moved on and allocated those funds elsewhere. They were still interested in him as a S&T candidate, but (once Tiago & Manu re-upped for their respective amounts) the ability to sign him for cap room or the MLE looked like a no go at that point.

That AK ended up signing for just over 3M is an...(ahem) interesting...deal that was probably only available to Russian billionaire owners.

kobyz
07-24-2013, 11:39 AM
A David Robinson clone, guy who could defend a little, block some shots, alright athlete who can run ok the floor, can hit occasionally a 20 foot jumper.

Dex
07-24-2013, 11:41 AM
A David Robinson clone, guy who could defend a little, block some shots, alright athlete who can run ok the floor, can hit occasionally a 20 foot jumper.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

kobyz
07-24-2013, 11:45 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

They have the same style, although David is taller.

Darkwaters
07-24-2013, 12:02 PM
If your disappointment is specific to AK47, then it should be noted that all indications are that he was asking much more than the MLE of the Spurs (he opted out of 10M because he wanted a multi-year deal where he would take a discount, but probably not a steep one) - which is why they moved on and allocated those funds elsewhere. They were still interested in him as a S&T candidate, but (once Tiago & Manu re-upped for their respective amounts) the ability to sign him for cap room or the MLE looked like a no go at that point.

That AK ended up signing for just over 3M is an...(ahem) interesting...deal that was probably only available to Russian billionaire owners.

Hey, I just listed the prevailing reason why people were upset with the Pendergraph signing. That's just how it is.

Spur-Addict
07-24-2013, 12:40 PM
They have the same style, although David is taller.

Just stop before it gets 100 times worse.

look_at_g_shred
07-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Great hustle and work ethic. Will perform to the best of his ability. Pretty much he's going to give us everything he has.