PDA

View Full Version : NBA's company won't insure Curry's heart

ducks
07-19-2005, 01:46 PM
NBA's company won't insure Curry's heart

July 19, 2005

BY ROMAN MODROWSKI Staff Reporter
Advertisement

Eddy Curry's heart will not be covered by the company the NBA uses to insure contracts, the Sun-Times has learned, meaning the Bulls' restricted free-agent center is unlikely to be offered a long-term deal.

Curry, 22, was sidelined for three months with an irregular heartbeat, which first flared up during a home game March 28. Multiple examinations in several cities could not pinpoint the problem, and Los Angeles-based cardiologist David Cannom green-lighted Curry's return to action June 30.

But not all of the Bulls' doctors were convinced. At least one wanted Curry to submit to a DNA test that might have helped determine the possibility of Curry suffering hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which contributed to the deaths of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis. Curry refused and sought opinions from his own doctors, including Cannom.

The Bulls were wary of offering a long-term deal until they learned whether Curry's heart would be insured. Trustmark, a Lake Forest-based insurance company, has the option of exempting 14 body parts and six players for illnesses. Curry's heart is one of the exemptions, according to a league source.

Neither Curry's agent, Leon Rose, nor Bulls operations chief John Paxson was available for comment Monday.

The Bulls remain interested in Curry, but they're expected to offer a short-term deal including incentives based on his health.

Curry also has visited the Atlanta Hawks, but it's unlikely any team will offer a long-term deal and then be on the hook for millions of dollars if Curry's heart problem should result in early retirement.

Curry, a four-year veteran, has been working out since being cleared by Cannom and said he feels healthy.

It's not clear whether Curry could get his own insurance and whether that could affect teams offering longer contracts.

SpursWoman
07-19-2005, 01:52 PM
I'd want the DNA test just to see WTF was wrong with me ... I wonder why he refused? :wtf

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 01:57 PM
I wonder why he refused?

Maybe he already knows what's wrong from his own doctors?
I hope he gets/stays healthy, but it's a huge risk for someone to give him a big deal now. He'll probably stay in ChiTown with a lot of stipulations on a short term contract.

SenorSpur
07-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Wonder if Atlanta will continue "jocking" him as hard as they had been over the past several days?

WalterBenitez
07-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Such a tremendous situation, poor kid, perhaps if he could play a limited amount of minutes the problem will not appear again; I also understand the insurance concern and contract implications.

I second the motion ... wtf ... go to DNA test!!!

King
07-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Most insurance companies won't cover something that's already damaged.

2pac
07-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I always knew he had heart problems by how few rebounds he pulled down.

spurster
07-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Trustmark, a Lake Forest-based insurance company, has the option of exempting 14 body parts and six players for illnesses.
???

hendrix
07-19-2005, 03:19 PM
I remember Riofrio, an argentine player who died on court during a regular season game. There are several cases like this, of course, and in other sports too.
I wonder how many would risk their own lives in order to keep playing. I mean, how many say "Fuck it, I rather die playing my game".

caŽlo
07-19-2005, 04:58 PM
curry would.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Insurance companies only like to provide coverage to those who probably don't really need it.

Don't ever get sick.

nkdlunch
07-19-2005, 05:41 PM
If he could collapse anyways, might as well collapse while playing ball and making some millions. Plus he could get a separate private millionare life insurance.