PDA

View Full Version : Worse offseason of the Tim Duncan era?

TheGreatYacht
07-23-2013, 01:51 AM
IMHO, I think the worse offseason of the Tim Duncan era is the 2003-2004 season. I was excited about the Spurs coming back to defend their championship with a healthy Tim Duncan, unlike 1999. I was thinking to myself during the offseason “man, the Spurs have a great future ahead of them.” The key players of the championship run are young such as Malik Rose, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Speedy Claxton, and Stephen Jackson. Bruce Bowen was in his prime age.

What happened next? All of the sudden bombs started dropping down when I heard that Stephen Jackson had been signed by the Atlanta Hawks and that the Spurs were going to let him walk. Another bomb came my way when I heard that Speedy Claxton had been signed by the Golden State Warriors and once again, the Spurs let him walk. I remember saying to myself “eww, this isn’t good. We’re losing David Robinson to retirement and now we’re getting rid of two of our key role players?” I was like “WTF is RC Buford doing? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

I then got my hopes up when I found out that the Spurs were going after Jason Kidd. I had my doubts as to whether signing Jason Kidd would be a good idea long-term given that Tony Parker was still developing but I was still excited about the idea because Jason Kidd is one of the greatest PG’s of all time. The atom bomb blew up on me when I found out that Jason Kidd was going to remain in with the Nets because of his stupid wife (now they’re divorced LMAO @ irony). The FO ended up signing Rasho Nesterovic, Hedo Turkoglu, Ron Mercer, Anthony Carter (what a scrub SMH), and Robert Horry.

We all know what happened during the playoffs. The Lakers clogged the lane. Hedo Turkoglu could not hit an open shot to save his life. Robert Horry choked big time against his former team. Shaq started owning Rasho once he figured out that he was being fronted (typical Pop move) by the defense. I don’t even want to remind you’ll of the .4 Derek Fisher shot. Lakers came back from being down 0 – 2 to sweep the Spurs all because of the shitty moves done by the FO during the offseason. The FO pulled a Mark Cuban to a lesser extent in braking up the core of a championship team.

So what’s the worse offseason in the Tim Duncan era folks? I wanted to put this 2013 offseason given the fact that the FO has hardly done anything to improve the team. Ranking this offseason as the worse offseason would be unfair on my part given the fact that staying pat is better than breaking up a team.

eric365
07-23-2013, 03:11 AM
2009-2010 and getting RJ

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-23-2013, 03:30 AM
2009-2010 and getting RJ

anakha
07-23-2013, 04:13 AM
2009-2010 and getting RJ

Hindsight being what it is, possibly.

I remember quite a few posters this forum being giddy as hell when that trade was announced, though.

In terms of ST reactions in the middle of an offseason, I remember quite a bit of bitching in 2003 when Rasho was the biggest acquisition (along with letting Jackson and Claxton go); same in 2004 with Brent Barry.

racm
07-23-2013, 04:48 AM

I remember quite a few posters this forum being giddy as hell when that trade was announced, though.

In terms of ST reactions in the middle of an offseason, I remember quite a bit of bitching in 2003 when Rasho was the biggest acquisition (along with letting Jackson and Claxton go); same in 2004 with Brent Barry.

Remember, PATFO tried to swing for Kidd but for some reason he chose to stay in Joisey. Never got back to the conference finals throughout the rest of his stay there, while the Spurs won two more in that span.

admiralsnackbar
07-23-2013, 05:44 AM
03-04, imo. Ron Mercer, Hedo, and Anthony Carter as FO's (and Charlie Ward at the deadline). Matt Carroll and Alex Garcia as rooks.

I can understand how Hedo seemed like a great bet, but otherwise? Just awful work by -- and terrible luck for -- the FO that year.

EDIT -- oops -- just read the above post and realized I forgot about Rasho. That guy was totally under-sung/over-hated since he wasn't D-Rob. Only bright spot of the offseason if you ak me.

Also: the FO failed to negotiate a workable contract with Jack when he was in his prime. That's mostly on Jack, but as a fan, that shit hurt.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2013, 06:07 AM
Nice title. Should have gone to summer school.

Kingsly Alexander
07-23-2013, 06:21 AM
03-04, imo. Ron Mercer, Hedo, and Anthony Carter as FO's (and Charlie Ward at the deadline). Matt Carroll and Alex Garcia as rooks.

I can understand how Hedo seemed like a great bet, but otherwise? Just awful work by -- and terrible luck for -- the FO that year.

EDIT -- oops -- just read the above post and realized I forgot about Rasho. That guy was totally under-sung/over-hated since he wasn't D-Rob. Only bright spot of the offseason if you ak me.

Also: the FO failed to negotiate a workable contract with Jack when he was in his prime. That's mostly on Jack, but as a fan, that shit hurt.

Which is stupid, because he was asking for like 7-8 mil a yr on 3-4 yrs, and coming off that season he was totally good for it. The Spurs had the money if I remember correctly, I guess Pop just didn't want to commit to a headcase.

Kingsly Alexander
07-23-2013, 06:22 AM
Nice title. Should have gone to summer school.

Can I ask. Are you a fan,of every Texas team's D-league affiliate team, or do you just really love Texas?

ChumpDumper
07-23-2013, 06:24 AM
I like that Texas teams have D-League affiliates.

Russ
07-23-2013, 07:50 AM
What about this offseason? ESPN Grade of C-.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188182

xmas1997
07-23-2013, 07:59 AM
2009-2010 and getting RJ

I was completely against getting Jefferson, never liked the guy.

eric365
07-23-2013, 08:24 AM

I remember as well that most of spurstalk was really high on him. Lakers and mavs fans even compared it to the Gasol trade.

ffadicted
07-23-2013, 08:26 AM
At the end of the day, we're still a small market team with a relatively poor owner. Shouldn't expect much else from offseasons lol

admiralsnackbar
07-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Which is stupid, because he was asking for like 7-8 mil a yr on 3-4 yrs, and coming off that season he was totally good for it. The Spurs had the money if I remember correctly, I guess Pop just didn't want to commit to a headcase.

Manu was up for renewal the following year iirc, and signing Jack at that price point would have made it hard to retain Ginobili, who was/is obviously the bigger talent.

boutons_deux
07-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Speedy a "key role player" ? on other teams he proved how the Spurs screwed up in letting him go. :lol

Diego20
07-23-2013, 09:35 AM
I was going to read this threat until I saw you did it, so I won't read this. Because you are not fan of San Antonio Spurs, you are Timmy's Fan and Manu Hater. If you would have done a thread about worst off season of Ginobili, you would say: 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013.

spurraider21
07-23-2013, 10:04 AM
based on what you've told us, weren't you about 7-8 years old when we won in 03? If so, I hardly think you were worrying about RC Buford. And yeah, why would Rasho ever decide to front Shaq? Might as well just stand behind him and let Shaq impose his will.

:lol at calling fronting a "typical pop move." as if pop invented it and fronts everybody. he had that strategy implemented in rounds 1 and 3 and it worked to perfection

michaelwcho
07-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Jefferson was the worst offseason acquisition. It was so surprising, because he had horrible advanced stats (Spurs often seem to be Moneyballing,but not that time).

Picking up Hedo, Horry, and Nesterovich should have worked. They just couldn't hit their open by ten foot shots when necessary and let Shaq and the rest of the Hackers clog the lane. Sheeh, if Bonner had been on the team, he'd have scored 20 pts per in that series.

TheGreatYacht
07-23-2013, 10:20 AM
I was going to read this threat until I saw you did it, so I won't read this. Because you are not fan of San Antonio Spurs, you are Timmy's Fan and Manu Hater. If you would have done a thread about worst off season of Ginobili, you would say: 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013.
based on what you've told us, weren't you about 7-8 years old when we won in 03? If so, I hardly think you were worrying about RC Buford. And yeah, why would Rasho ever decide to front Shaq? Might as well just stand behind him and let Shaq impose his will.

:lol at calling fronting a "typical pop move." as if pop invented it and fronts everybody. he had that strategy implemented in rounds 1 and 3 and it worked to perfection You should re-watch the games especially Games 1 & 2. Rasho was fronting Shaq fooling a lot of Spurs fans that he was doing an excellent job defending Shaq. Phil Jackson adjusted and managed to find ways to get Shaq in better positions.

I never said that Pop "invented fronting," I'm just pointing out that Pop has always loved to front dominant big men. You said it yourself, in the playoff games against the Lakers and Memphis this year, Splitter and Duncan were fronting Dwight Howard and Zach Randolph and it worked fine. Fronting did not stop Shaq in 2004 because PJ adjusted.

:lmao @ TGY haters butt hurt because I'm always throwing truth bombs at them about their favorite player. Ass hurt Manutards :rollin
Jefferson was the worst offseason acquisition. It was so surprising, because he had horrible advanced stats (Spurs often seem to be Moneyballing,but not that time).

Picking up Hedo, Horry, and Nesterovich should have worked. They just couldn't hit their open by ten foot shots when necessary and let Shaq and the rest of the Hackers clog the lane. Sheeh, if Bonner had been on the team, he'd have scored 20 pts per in that series.This year's playoff version of Matt Bonner, yes. The Matt Bonner that we first signed from the Toronto Raptors, no. Don't forget that Matt Bonner has shat the bed for the past 6 playoff years.

TheGreatYacht
07-23-2013, 10:25 AM

ElNono
07-23-2013, 10:43 AM
seems like every offseason, tbh...

rascal
07-23-2013, 11:12 AM

I liked the trade. The Spurs traded players who were finished and went on to do nothing in the league.

spurraider21
07-23-2013, 11:32 AM
At first I thought tgy was a troll but I'm starting the think he's literally challenged

TheGreatYacht
07-23-2013, 11:38 AM
At first I thought tgy was a troll but I'm starting the think he's literally challengedI just find it funny how you and xmas1997 are constantly netpicking everything I say just to show everyone how much I'm in your head. :lmao

spurraider21
07-23-2013, 11:43 AM
I just find it funny how you and xmas1997 are constantly netpicking everything I say just to show everyone how much I'm in your head. :lmao
Nope. Ur just everywhere on this damn forum because middle school is on summer break and you have too much time

TheGreatYacht
07-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Nope. Ur just everywhere on this damn forum because middle school is on summer break and you have too much time:lmao The hypocrisy. Are you a 30 year old that lives in your mom's basement defending Pop and Manu's legacy on ST 24/7?

spurraider21
07-23-2013, 11:49 AM
:lmao The hypocrisy. You're a 30 year old that lives in your mom's basement defending Pop and Manu's on ST 24/7?
Wrong per par

:lmao talking about 03 offseason when you were no older than 9 at the time

Spur|n|Austin
07-23-2013, 01:51 PM
At first I thought tgy was a troll but I'm starting the think he's literally challenged

Key word here.

DisAsTerBot
07-23-2013, 01:57 PM
lol worse

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-23-2013, 02:02 PM
I think TGY has down syndrome, tbh

xmas1997
07-23-2013, 02:04 PM

No, he's definitely a troll, and now he is resorting to changing our posts because we are so in his head.

TheGreatYacht
07-23-2013, 02:20 PM
I think TGY has down syndrome, tbh
No, he's definitely a troll, and now he is resorting to changing our posts because we are so in his head.:lol I love it how every time I write a thread or a comment, my haters come out of their closet to attack me personally. I love it! Keep the blessings going. :toast
Obviously you don't know how to read because if you had then you would know that I defended the guy who was called a racist, and not one of the ones calling him a racist, even though that poster and I disagreed on everything else. What I don't like is "ignorance" because ignorance is what fuels racism, or weren't you aware of that fact?
And actually, if you had read the posts, I asked him WHY they were calling him a racist since nothing he wrote could infer such a thing unless it was deleted and I never read it. Get your facts straight next time, Dude.smh... what a hypocrite.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Last offseason.

Marcus Bryant
07-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Spurs fans need their diaper changed.

CubanMustGo
07-23-2013, 10:00 PM
It's the worst off-season of the Duncan era because spoiled children like OP found this board.

dallasmaverickslose
07-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Is OP serious? He's probably butt hurt because we didn't fulfill his wishes of firing Pop and sending Manu to the pits of hell.

Kool Bob Love
07-23-2013, 11:52 PM

He thinks everyone is out to get him.:lmao