PDA

View Full Version : Will Mills play the Neal roll next season

benfti
07-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Or will he still be buried at 3rd/4th point guard/ garbage time duty and bel will go out there to jack up shots?

discuss.

playblair
07-23-2013, 09:38 PM
mills ability to finsh @ the rim >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>................... playmills but not over cojo.................................

Em-City
07-23-2013, 09:39 PM
I'd like to think that Big Balls Beli will play the Neal role

benfti
07-23-2013, 09:39 PM
I was thinking more of Mills at the 2, not over CoJo

Poolboy5623
07-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Marco.

Chinook
07-23-2013, 09:42 PM
I wanted him to have a chance, but they'll put Belinelli in that spot. Mills is pretty much done on this team, unfortunately.

spurraider21
07-23-2013, 09:57 PM
I wanted him to have a chance, but they'll put Belinelli in that spot. Mills is pretty much done on this team, unfortunately.

Mills opting in pretty much cost Neal his roster spot. not sure why Mills opted in. essentially burying his career

SilverSpur
07-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Remember when Pop benched everyone two years ago at end of the year and started Mills . He scored 27 and 34 points against the warriors and suns. If given playing time and kept in the rotation he would be really valuable come playoffs and of course during injuries to other guards.
Hate to say it but I thought Neal was soft and made too many turn overs like traveling and bad passes.

BackHome
07-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Not much difference between Neal and Mills......one of them had to go.

Not much difference between CoJo and Nando ...one of them HAS to go.

Sean Cagney
07-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Mills opting in pretty much cost Neal his roster spot. not sure why Mills opted in. essentially burying his career
Me either, guess he really likes being with the team that much? He hardly plays but loves SA and seems to be as big a fan as any of us out there. I guess he doesn't want to play more.

I am not really HURT that much about Neal being gone, but I would rather have him then Patty who doesn't even play.

PlayNando
07-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Or will he still be buried at 3rd/4th point guard/ garbage time duty and bel will go out there to jack up shots?

discuss.
He will be relegated to towel-waving duty, per par.

I was thinking more of Mills at the 2, not over CoJo
He's too short for the 2 position, tbh.

PlayNando
07-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Not much difference between Neal and Mills......one of them had to go.

Not much difference between CoJo and Nando ...one of them HAS to go.
Nando >>> Cojo, tbh.

anakha
07-23-2013, 10:09 PM
He scored 27 and 34 points against the warriors and suns.

Both the Suns and Warriors were already out of playoff contention and in tanking/WGAF mode by then. I wouldn't put too much stock in those 2 performances.

TheGreatYacht
07-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Patty Mills will be waving his towel at teams to pick him up and he will be used as trade bait throughout the year.

Vic Petro
07-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Ginobili will play the Gary Neal role and Belinelli will take Manu's old role.

TXstbobcat
07-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Mills will still ride the bench this season unless it is a blowout or players are injured or rested by pop.

timtonymanu
07-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Patty honestly didnt impress me last season. I'm all for increasing his minutes since like Neal, he can get hot in an instant.

Sean Cagney
07-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Patty honestly didnt impress me last season. I'm all for increasing his minutes since like Neal, he can get hot in an instant.

True, but he is way undersized for SG, which is basically what he is in PG body. Neal atleast was SG size lol, with the horrible D and all he atleast was over 6'3". Mills is just a way undersized SG, he can light it up if he is on that game, but no spot for him in the normal rotation.

Marrow
07-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Patty has been with the team now for just about 2 seasons and the coaches know what he brings to the team.

imo he tends to play well when he's given a consistent string of minutes, game to game...but he's not going to get it with the spurs especially with their depth and glut of guards

I think this season he has the ability to improve on his towel waving numbers and at best carves out a spark plug role for himself

Darkwaters
07-24-2013, 01:13 AM
Whats a "Neal Roll"?

mattj1x
07-24-2013, 05:43 AM
Would be nice to see more close-game production like this from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igH0bv5WvUY

I think early in the season he was trying too hard to be a passer/playmaker which is something he struggles with. Seemed to kill his confidence for the rest of the season.

chapnis
07-24-2013, 06:05 AM
I think there are lineups the Spurs could run with Patty effectively being a SG on offensive and defending the oppositions smallest player on defensive (normally PG).

Chomag
07-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Patty can , but the question is will Pop let him?

Chomag
07-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Whats a "Neal Roll"?

To let the other team score.

Ok i'm sorry, im done.

Darkwaters
07-24-2013, 10:41 AM
To let the other team score.

Ok i'm sorry, im done.

It seems disingenuous to not get Blair involved in this action

Spur|n|Austin
07-24-2013, 11:14 AM

He'll continue his cheering and locker room comradery-giving, which people may underestimate but is actually quite beneficial.

superbigtime
07-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Love Patty's enthusiasm but he won't be very meaningful to the Spurs. Will miss G Neal, he had ice water running through his veins but he had a C to C- year. Too much inside his own head, lousy defense, and alot of chucking. If he had a better % I would miss him more. Watching Neal was a frustration. He's going to have some good games left in him, no doubt. But his shortcomings overshadow the couple of hot shooting games he will have. Still a fan and loved cheering for him, but overall Neal wasn't getting it done unfortunately. I don't think Mills is going to step into his shoes, it will be Belinelli.

benfti
07-24-2013, 06:42 PM

He is backing himself in to improve and crack the rotation, he did have a couple of offers to move to other teams and get a few more minutes, but he loves San Antonio and wants to stay. I dont know if people are following what he is doing this off-season, but he has been traveling all over getting extra strenght training, fitness, and he will be on national duty as well. I would go as far as to say he will probably be the best shape spur coming back to training camp.

LarryDavid
07-24-2013, 08:04 PM

discuss.

I think Beli fills Neal's role.

Russ
07-24-2013, 08:17 PM
How bout if Neal plays the Neal role next year. :)

HI-FI
07-25-2013, 12:26 AM
He is backing himself in to improve and crack the rotation, he did have a couple of offers to move to other teams and get a few more minutes, but he loves San Antonio and wants to stay. I dont know if people are following what he is doing this off-season, but he has been traveling all over getting extra strenght training, fitness, and he will be on national duty as well. I would go as far as to say he will probably be the best shape spur coming back to training camp.
that's promising to hear. I love what Patty brings to the team and also love that he's happy here, but it would be great if he could contribute more on the court as well, so hopefully he can this year.

Vash StampedE
07-25-2013, 02:08 AM
At this point of Duncan-Popovich era, we can't afford to rely on unproven/prospect players anymore and that's what we could possibly lose if Neal doesn't return. That's why I would rather him have the spot of Mills or Nando. Mills is just too small to play a position other than 1 and based on my observations, he is not strong enough to handle ball pressure from bigger, physical PG/backup PG of opposing teams e.g., Bledsoe, Reggie Jackson, etc. That's why I :lol when I read others' post saying he can play the 2.

I still hope that Spurs bring him back, though just as a situational player and not as part of the rotation. Even if doing so requires waiving Mills or Nando. I would prefer the latter:lol. I know the troll, PlayNando, will react after reading this.

As for the topic, I'm not sure who will play the "instant offense coming from the bench" and backup pg role that Neal once had. I'm thinking Manu but after what happened last season and the Finals, I'm giving that a second thought. Belinelli? Perhaps the scoring role but not sure if he can orchestrate our offense. CoJo has my confidence to play full backup to Tony Parker. I think he has gained the required experienced to perform such role and also, he knows the system for 2-3 years already.