PDA

View Full Version : 2 roster spots now open (if my calculations are correct). Who gets them?

dallasmaverickslose
07-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Do we bring in anybody, do we give some dude on the Toros a chance, is it going to be somebody from summer league, or what?

:wakeup

Hoops Czar
07-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Do we bring in anybody, do we give some dude on the Toros a chance, is it going to be somebody from summer league, or what?

:wakeup

Who did the Spurs release? I count 14.

Kindergarten Cop
07-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Baynes, Splitter, Duncan, Bonner, Diaw, Pendergraph, Leonard, Belinelli, Ginobili, Green, Mills, Joseph, Parker, De Colo = 14

johnpaulwall21
07-24-2013, 01:41 PM
A summer league guy gets the spot once Oden chooses Miami.

Sean Cagney
07-24-2013, 02:07 PM

^^^^^^^^

TXstbobcat
07-24-2013, 02:10 PM
The spurs will try out different D league players signing the to 10 day contracts with the 15th spot.

td4mvp2k
07-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Thomas n Blair

Spursfan092120
07-24-2013, 02:23 PM
If Oden goes to Dallas or Miami, I see Thomas.

cd98
07-24-2013, 02:23 PM
If the Spurs get Oden, then he's 15 and I'm guessing that it's possible to waive either De Colo or Mills, which will happen so they can sign a small forward as a back up to Leonard. If they don't sign Oden, then they'll sign a small forward with the 15th spot.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Has Baynes definitely made the cut? His performances in the Summer League have been iffy.

Spur|n|Austin
07-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Where did you see our current roster at? I think your calculator is broken.

dallasmaverickslose
07-24-2013, 04:18 PM
I forgot about Mills. My bad. So... 1 roster spot

look_at_g_shred
07-24-2013, 04:35 PM
/thread

Dex
07-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Has Baynes definitely made the cut? His performances in the Summer League have been iffy.

Baynes is already under contract. He is on the roster unless the Spurs decide to waive him and buy him out...meaning he is going to be on the roster.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-24-2013, 05:01 PM

He gave as good as he got with Zeller. He beat up everyone else he faced. Showed he could score on the left and right block with either hand. He couldn't hit his jumper but his form wasn't bad. He could have shown better instincts on the carom but he did grab a lot of boards. He will make the roster.

Shifty
07-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Baynes is already under contract. He is on the roster unless the Spurs decide to waive him and buy him out...meaning he is going to be on the roster.
Same for all other 13 players. All under contract, even if some of them are sent to the D-League, they count as one roster spot each.

cd021
07-24-2013, 06:28 PM

I don't think he's on the line. He does have the cheapest deal, and cutting him won't cost the Spurs very much. But he is big, strong, and fairly athletic. I think they keep him as a backup to Splitter potientially

Duncan/Diaw/Bonner/Pendergraph
Splitter/Baynes/Pendergraph

Pendergraph is supposedly capable of playing both spots as is Diaw. Putting Baynes as the backup gives the Spurs rebounding and potentially a rim protector (he does foul a lot though).

cd021
07-24-2013, 06:32 PM
If the Spurs get Oden, then he's 15 and I'm guessing that it's possible to waive either De Colo or Mills, which will happen so they can sign a small forward as a back up to Leonard. If they don't sign Oden, then they'll sign a small forward with the 15th spot.

Mills or De Colo could be moved for a protected 2nd rounder. On 1 year deals, and essentially free, a team might be interested. The Spurs would declutter the backcourt a bit and free up another spot. Allowing them to sign a player (Oden) and or sign one following preseason or midseason.

Marrow
07-24-2013, 06:36 PM
I forgot about Mills. My bad. So... 1 roster spot

I think the spurs FO has too...might help in explaining some of their offseason moves :lol

cjw
07-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Mills or De Colo could be moved for a protected 2nd rounder. On 1 year deals, and essentially free, a team might be interested. The Spurs would declutter the backcourt a bit and free up another spot. Allowing them to sign a player (Oden) and or sign one following preseason or midseason.

If there's no market for them, I'm sure a team would at least take one of them for nothing. Ideally, 1-2 guys spend time in Austin to develop as you can only dress 13 guys, one of whom is likely to be Baynes. Doubt De Colo or Mills goes and CoJo already paid his dues and passed both on the depth chart.

exstatic
07-24-2013, 08:50 PM

^^^^^^^^

Do you two even really follow this team? See below. It's what they do damn near every year.

The spurs will try out different D league players signing the to 10 day contracts with the 15th spot.

And then, if anyone worthwhile gets bought out after the trade deadline, we swoop in and sign them.

Sean Cagney
07-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Do you two even really follow this team? See below. It's what they do damn near every year.

And then, if anyone worthwhile gets bought out after the trade deadline, we swoop in and sign them.I think I follow the team to know they don't do much at all during the offseason even though I hope they do every year. I think they bring in someone from the D League and keep sending him down during the year and do what you said they would do, infact I would bet on it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Did anyone wondering about Baynes actually watch what he did to Dwight in the Lakers series? LOL, he's not going anywhere.

lefty
07-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Matt Bonner and Matt Bonner

Dverde
07-24-2013, 10:56 PM
I don't see Oden starting on the active roster. I imagine he would be in Austin working on his game and getting in game shape.

Darkwaters
07-25-2013, 12:46 AM
:lol People thinking Baynes might get cut because of an iffy summer league

The guy had like one poor game and then started knocking down double doubles. He looked dominant at times. Besides, hes under contract already and proved that he can contribute at the NBA level. Hes way better than almost all the center prospects they might find laying around on the street, and probably considerably cheaper too. Hes not going anywhere.

xmas1997
07-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Matt Bonner and Matt Bonner

And don't forget Matt Bonner!
Actually I doubt he ever gets cut, I'll be surprised if he does because the FO seems to be in love with him.

TheGoldStandard
07-25-2013, 12:14 PM
And don't forget Matt Bonner!
Actually I doubt he ever gets cut, I'll be surprised if he does because the FO seems to be in love with him.

Bonner has a tattoo of Soul and Pop has one of Mates.. if they touch hips together it reads soul mates.

dallasmaverickslose
07-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Bonner has a tattoo of Soul and Pop has one of Mates.. if they touch hips together it reads soul mates.

I have a tattoo of TheGoldStandard

flasah
07-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Probably one of three summer league players: Deshaun Thomas, Dexter Pittman, or Hollis Thompson
Marcus Denmon should get a look in training camp, but too many guards on the roster already.

TheGoldStandard
07-25-2013, 08:31 PM
I have a tattoo of TheGoldStandard
:tu

dallasmaverickslose
07-25-2013, 10:01 PM
:tu

Is that ok?

TheGoldStandard
07-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Is that ok?

Might as well..

Sean Cagney
07-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Probably one of three summer league players: Deshaun Thomas, Dexter Pittman, or Hollis Thompson
Marcus Denmon should get a look in training camp, but too many guards on the roster already.

YOU SAID IT, GUARD NO........ NO NO. Unless he is Joe Dumars on D and can shoot like that NO.