PDA

View Full Version : Talking about the Chinese

smeagol
07-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Why is everybody up in arms with the Chinese oil & gas company CNOOC wanting to buy Unocal?

I thought that's what America promotes and wants to export around the World. Free trade and the ability for companies to acquire other companies. I certainly know the US pushed my country to open its economy to foreign capital and to privatize the, at the time, state-owned utilities, phone companies, airlines, oil & gas companies, etc. American companies bid for these assets and in some cases, such as the mobile phone for the Buenos Aires area, they won.

So why on Earth are people opposing this acquisition?

And on this same topic, aren’t there some assets, such as the local telephony companies, where foreign capital is not allowed?

Is this a case of “Do as I as I say, but don’t do as I do” (or however the hell the saying goes)?

duncan_21
07-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Why is everybody up in arms with the Chinese oil & gas company CNOOC wanting to buy Unocal?

I thought that's what America promotes and wants to export around the World. Free trade and the ability for companies to acquire other companies. I certainly know the US pushed my country to open its economy to foreign capital and to privatize the, at the time, state-owned utilities, phone companies, airlines, oil & gas companies, etc. American companies bid for these assets and in some cases, such as the mobile phone for the Buenos Aires area, they won.

So why on Earth are people opposing this acquisition?

And on this same topic, aren’t there some assets, such as the local telephony companies, where foreign capital is not allowed?

Is this a case of “Do as I as I say, but don’t do as I do” (or however the hell the saying goes)?

Well, just a few weeks ago one of the top generals in chinas army said they wouldn't think twice about nuking us if we got mixed up in the taiwan conflict. I have a problem with financing enemy country companies that don't in turn help us out in the so called free global economy.

And btw, it doesn't make me feel better when we're borrowing $ from china to finance this dumb ass war that gets worse and worse. While we get poorer and poorer, china gets rich off of all the money america spends on products made in china.

smeagol
07-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Well, just a few weeks ago one of the top generals in chinas army said they wouldn't think twice about nuking us if we got mixed up in the taiwan conflict.

Why would the US get mixed up in that conflict? The US getting mixed up in conflicts is why many people around the World don't sympathize with America.

I have a problem with financing enemy country companies that don't in turn help us out in the so called free global economy.
Why is China an enemy country again?

And what does this mean: " . . . don't in turn help us out in the so so called free global economy"

[QUOTE=duncan_21]And btw, it doesn't make me feel better when we're borrowing $ from china to finance this dumb ass war that gets worse and worse. While we get poorer and poorer, china gets rich off of all the money america spends on products made in china.

By the way, America is buying Chinese assets too.

duncan_21
07-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Why would the US get mixed up in that conflict? The US getting mixed up in conflicts is why many people around the World don't sympathize with America.

By the way, America is buying Chinese assets too.

Definitely not at the same rate.

Guru of Nothing
07-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Well! The thread title made me hungry.

scott
07-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Because some Americans are stupid hypocrits - from a trade perspective there shouldn't be any problems, it is just the free markets at work. If Americans value Unocal, someone should pony up and outbid China.