PDA

View Full Version : Knicks: Madison Square Garden Is Told to Move

ElNono
07-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Madison Square Garden Is Told to Move

Madison Square Garden, home to the Knicks, the Rangers, the Ice Capades, the circus and the “Fight of the Century” between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier in 1971, received an eviction notice of sorts on Wednesday.

The New York City Council notified the arena that it has 10 years to vacate its 45-year-old premises and find a new home, the Garden’s fifth since it opened in 1879.

By a vote of 47 to 1, the Council voted to extend the Garden’s special operating permit for merely a decade — not in perpetuity, as the owners of the Garden had requested, or 15 years, as the Bloomberg administration had intended.

Ten years should be enough time, officials said, for the Garden to find a new location and for the city to devise plans for an expanded Pennsylvania Station, which currently sits below the Garden, and the redevelopment of the surrounding neighborhood.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/nyregion/madison-square-garden-is-told-to-move.html?_r=0

dbestpro
07-25-2013, 05:37 PM
They should move the team to a new stadium and build it one foot outside the New York City tax boundry.

D-Wade
07-25-2013, 05:44 PM
It's moved before but never far from that general area. I know Manhattan doesn't have much space but I prefer the set up of places like AAA or Staples where the stadium is in its own part of the city.

elmanutres
07-25-2013, 07:34 PM
and they just finished like a billion dollar renovation project on the garden. Now they want them to spend another billion on another arena. The new yankee stadium is a fucking joke, and now the nyc council is doing the same for the garden. Meh I shouldn't be shocked, this is the same city that has anthony weiner running for mayor, who by the way got caught recently doing the same shit that spawned a scandal like 2 years ago. We need to preserve these places, not tear them down and build a new one with more shitty concession stands and skyboxes like yankee stadium. It would be a spit on all the legendary games, fights, concerts and other events that took place there

racm
07-25-2013, 08:44 PM
dolan pls

HeatChamps
07-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Madison must've been pretty square about having to move his garden.