PDA

View Full Version : Falcons extend Matt Ryan

TIMMYtoZO
07-25-2013, 09:59 PM
:lmao:lmao Over $100 million for 5 years and guaranteed $59 million of that money. All of that for a QB who is Tony Romo's equal.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9509342/matt-ryan-atlanta-falcons-finalize-nine-figure-extension

Darth_Pelican
07-25-2013, 10:03 PM
:lmao 1-4 career playoff record

Chinook
07-25-2013, 10:21 PM
And Flacco's deal looks better and better in comparison...

...well, at least for the next two years.

Darth_Pelican
07-25-2013, 10:24 PM
And Flacco's deal looks better and better in comparison...

...well, at least for the next two years.

As it should, considering he is 9-4 in the playoffs with a ring. :lol Matt Ryan

Chinook
07-25-2013, 10:30 PM
:lol Ryan and Stafford. Teams keep investing too much money into mediocre quarterbacks (or at least those with little success past the regular season). When will they learn? Any quarterback can lead his team to no playoff wins. They should pay for wins and losses, not passing yards.

Mal
07-25-2013, 10:33 PM
I kept laughing at Flaco or Romo extension, but then other guys started getting big moneys. Guess that`s the market price for QB`s right now.

TIMMYtoZO
07-25-2013, 10:42 PM
I kept laughing at Flaco or Romo extension, but then other guys started getting big moneys. Guess that`s the market price for QB`s right now.

I can't hate on the Flacco deal. He has at least backed his play up in the postseason with a win in January every year he has been in the league. He steps his game up in the postseason, and the road crowds don't phase him at all. While I don't expect him to have a flawless season, I expect him to grow more into his role this season with Caldwell calling the shots on O. Unlike Romo, Ryan, Stafford, Flacco is elite.

Spursfan092120
07-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Flacco earned his money...cashed in at the right time, overpaid or not. Romo didn't deserve the money he got, but the market set it up that way..Every QB who signs a deal this year needs to take Flacco out to dinner. Matty doesn't deserve this money either. But I can't hate if they paid it...Falcon's mistake is Matt's gain.

Clipper Nation
07-25-2013, 10:51 PM
To be fair, Ryan should have been in the Super Bowl last year if not for the refs pretending NaVorro Bowman didn't interfere with Roddy White, tbh....

benefactor
07-26-2013, 06:10 AM
At least the Texans paid Schaub like a mid-tier QB when they gave him his extension last year. Ryan's guaranteed money is almost as much as Schaub's whole contract. :lol

Bill_Brasky
07-26-2013, 10:06 AM
To be fair, Ryan should have been in the Super Bowl last year if not for the refs pretending NaVorro Bowman didn't interfere with Roddy White, tbh....
Ok avante.

Clipper Nation
07-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Ok avante.
:lol I was hoping he'd see that post and melt down per the usual....

Bill_Brasky
07-26-2013, 10:12 AM
:lol I was hoping he'd see that post and melt down per the usual....

I noticed hes been getting more vulgar lately, ST finally got to him.....

benefactor
07-26-2013, 10:52 AM
I noticed hes been getting more vulgar lately, ST finally got to him.....
Yup...we're slowly breaking him.

gaKNOW!blee
07-26-2013, 11:06 AM
It amazes me how this board doesn't understand football is a team game. If you really think Flacco is a better QB than Ryan you are on drugs.

I feel like I'm arguing with Skip Bayless every time someone brings up WINS and RINGZZ like the quarterback does it all by himself. Ryan just had a game winning drive to beat Seattle (with his kickers help) and then went 30-42 396 yards 3 TD 1 INT in the conference championship game, but got unlucky with the refs blown call on Bowman.

In the same situation, Flacco gets completely lucky that Rahim Moore is a moron, and the refs missed a (debatable) call on Jimmy Smith.

But by all means, keep using playoff team wins as an argument. Especially games where Flacco went 4-10, or 9-23. Or that time his offense scored 13 points but they still won.

Flacco had a great postseason run, including 2 games where he got lucky as hell to even be a part of. That's great...but for 2013 I would still much rather have Ryan.

Chinook
07-26-2013, 11:24 AM
It amazes me how this board doesn't understand football is a team game. If you really think Flacco is a better QB than Ryan you are on drugs.

I feel like I'm arguing with Skip Bayless every time someone brings up WINS and RINGZZ like the quarterback does it all by himself. Ryan just had a game winning drive to beat Seattle (with his kickers help) and then went 30-42 396 yards 3 TD 1 INT in the conference championship game, but got unlucky with the refs blown call on Bowman.

In the same situation, Flacco gets completely lucky that Rahim Moore is a moron, and the refs missed a (debatable) call on Jimmy Smith.

But by all means, keep using playoff team wins as an argument. Especially games where Flacco went 4-10, or 9-23. Or that time his offense scored 13 points but they still won.

Flacco had a great postseason run, including 2 games where he got lucky as hell to even be a part of. That's great...but for 2013 I would still much rather have Ryan.

You're completely ignoring that Ryan was awful down the stretch of both the Seattle and 49er games (except perhaps the last drives). Flacco put up great games against New England (2012) and Pittsburgh the year before save one bad pass. Sure, there have been times where his team hasn't needed him to win, but there's never been a time where the team has needed him and he failed to show up.

Ryan's tremendously overrated, as is Stafford. Flacco doesn't have a Johnson or Jones/White combo to throw to. So people had to inflate Anquan Boldin to make it seem similar. Instead of Hall-of-Fame receiver production, Joe had to see two straight post-seasons end on dropped passes. He almost saw another one end because of two fluke kick returns.

To anyone watching, Flacco's been good enough to win it all since at least the 2010 Colts playoff game. Ryan's all meaningless numbers right now.

Spursfan092120
07-26-2013, 12:36 PM

Soooo...what do you think of Tony Romo? Just asking, tbh.

TIMMYtoZO
07-26-2013, 02:14 PM

I also saw Matt Ryan contribute to a near choke against Seattle. If it weren't for Seattle pissing away a fg chance before half and not icing the kicker, he'd still be winless. He needed Seattle to outchoke him. I saw him throw an int, lose focus on a snap which resulted in a fumble and turnover, and fail to get his team deep out of their own endzone during the time they had a 17 point lead against the 49ers. In fact, I don't believe the Falcons scored a single point in the 2nd half of the NFC title game so his statline is meaningless.

Matt Ryan is not anywhere near Flacco's league. He is right there with Romo as a QB who puts up meaningless numbers, had 1 playoff win, and will never be good enough to do anything in January. Last year was Ryan's peak just like 2010 was Romo's.

Chief Brody
07-26-2013, 03:31 PM
You're completely ignoring that Ryan was awful down the stretch of both the Seattle and 49er games (except perhaps the last drives). Flacco put up great games against New England (2012) and Pittsburgh the year before save one bad pass. Sure, there have been times where his team hasn't needed him to win, but there's never been a time where the team has needed him and he failed to show up.

Ryan's tremendously overrated, as is Stafford. Flacco doesn't have a Johnson or Jones/White combo to throw to. So people had to inflate Anquan Boldin to make it seem similar. Instead of Hall-of-Fame receiver production, Joe had to see two straight post-seasons end on dropped passes. He almost saw another one end because of two fluke kick returns.

To anyone watching, Flacco's been good enough to win it all since at least the 2010 Colts playoff game. Ryan's all meaningless numbers right now.

This. Sure, Flacco has had a much better D, but like Chinook said he doesn't have elite WR threats like White, JJ, and Gonzo to bail him out. Also, since the Chiefs WC game in 2011, where's this GREAT defense been for Joe? They collapsed against the Steelers, gave up a GW-Drive to a Gronkless Pats in 2012, and were absolutely AWOL for the Broncos and 49ers games this past postseason. He was a game manager early on in his career--b/c his youth, along with a strong defense and running game dictated that--but since 2011 he's been a playoff gunslinger and the most important player on the Ravens.

It's as if Flacco and Big Ben are typecasted into these game-managing, "win when you have to" roles by the fans, when in reality if you saw them play in college they were both 1st rounders b/c they were gunslinging QB's with handcannons for an arm. Both those cats are more than capable of passing for 300+ yds a game, but their teams' hallmark style is great defense and 3 yds and a cloud of dust.

Chief Brody
07-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Btw, I agree that Ryan gets overly criticized for his playoff failures--especially since his role in them is not as obvious as Romo's. Both Ryan and Flacco can say that every team they've lost to in the playoffs has either won or made it to the SB. The difference is that Ryan suffers complete meltdowns in the 2nd half. Against AZ, Atl had a halftime lead and crappy offense hurt them in the 2nd half. Against GB everything went wrong--but the serious damage started right before the half with a P-6, and continued into the 2nd half. In 2011-12 Ryan's offense scored ZERO points, but were moving the ball well early on...in the 2nd half you could probably count their 1st downs on 1 hand. This past playoffs he got out to monster leads in both games, only to lay eggs in the 2nd half