PDA

View Full Version : Wizards: Wall close to signing five-year, max extension

Chinook
07-25-2013, 10:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9507183/john-wall-washington-wizards-advanced-contract-extension-talks-according-sources

Absolutely absurd. No way he'd get that on the open market next off-season.

Huey Freeman
07-25-2013, 10:42 PM
I agree It may be a little high, but to say he would not get that contract in the open market is crazy. Even with his injury history, I could easily see Buss or Cuban coughing out that kind of money for this dude. He may not be a franchise player but he damn sure looks like one.

resistanze
07-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Then owners and GMs bitch about the CBA.

Rogue
07-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Shit can't be worse than the contract extension they gave Agent 0 in 07 tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
07-25-2013, 11:24 PM
this clown hasnt done shit in the league

i dont care he had a late good run near the end of the season, that was nothing

curry is on 10m a year, and this clown will be on 16m? lol

kamikazi_player
07-25-2013, 11:37 PM

Do you hate every single player in the league?

Rogue
07-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Do you hate every single player in the league?
yes he does, except a few of them like Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and yeah, Tim Duncan.

spurraider21
07-26-2013, 12:05 AM
didn't the wizards actually have a winning record once Wall came back? that said, contract is absolutely absurd, will hold them back for 5 years, then they'll bitch about cba, market, etc.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2013, 12:24 AM
didn't the wizards actually have a winning record once Wall came back? that said, contract is absolutely absurd, will hold them back for 5 years, then they'll bitch about cba, market, etc.

that winning record didnt amount to shit, just another lottery team

scroteface
07-26-2013, 12:25 AM
this is the next rashard lewis/gilbert arenas/juwan howard-esque type of contract in a few years

spurraider21
07-26-2013, 12:30 AM
this is the next rashard lewis/gilbert arenas/juwan howard-esque type of contract in a few years

lewis and arenas signed those contracts (i believe) in their late 20's. walls contract will end around the time his prime begins, so its a bit different. still, its an overpayment, but not to the degree of the ones you mentioned

Spurs da champs
07-26-2013, 12:32 AM
John Wall will prove ya'll wrong, tbh.

Rogue
07-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Agent 0 was born in 1982 so he was only 25 in 07 when he signed that lucrative contract imho. too bad his body wore out too soon, dude was my favorite player back then tbh :depressed

spurraider21
07-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Agent 0 was born in 1982 so he was only 25 in 07 when he signed that lucrative contract imho. too bad his body wore out too soon, dude was my favorite player back then tbh :depressed
ditto. back then my favorite non-spurs in the league were Arenas and Ray Allen :lol

good call on arenas' age though. sucks it didn't work out. dude had NCAA jimmer range, and he did this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm2XO28YRYU

Chinook
07-26-2013, 12:42 AM
I don't see any way players like Leonard, Tristan Thompson or Faried don't get near-max deals now. Hell, Klay Thompson may end up getting more than Curry did.

StrengthAndHonor
07-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Wall has Superstar potential unlike thr players you mentioned. Wizards also needs players that can put butts at the Verizon center. Its overpaying him but at the same time they really can't attract marquee players.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2013, 01:13 AM
I don't see any way players like Leonard, Tristan Thompson or Faried don't get near-max deals now. Hell, Klay Thompson may end up getting more than Curry did.

i dont like how the max contracts and bonuses are handed out to certain players in the league, whether they are really legit franchise players or a popularity contest part of the new CBA bullshit

if you are up for a max contract you can negotiate starting salary 25% of the salary cap, if you make any all-nba/defensive teams you can negotiate 30% starting salary

so to get that extra 5% you must achieve to appear on those award teams, but everyone knows those selections are usually popularity contest and players appearing on it without actually earning or deserve to be there, aka kome.....if ur on a small market team or a team without exposure htf are you going to appear on those awarded team selections end of the year?

Chinook
07-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Wall has Superstar potential unlike thr players you mentioned. Wizards also needs players that can put butts at the Verizon center. Its overpaying him but at the same time they really can't attract marquee players.

Yeah, but just let him test the market next year and match. Worst comes to worst, Wall gets a max contract, which is worth less than a max extension. More than likely, he'd get between $8-12 Million a season.

StrengthAndHonor
07-26-2013, 01:24 AM
Its a flawed system for sure and I don't like the NBA's guaranteed contracts and the CBA hasnt really done anything to stop these dumb GM's from overpaying but that's the nature of the business, unfortunately.

Btw I agree. Wall is a 8-10 mil player imho.

Chinook
07-26-2013, 01:27 AM
The Wizards could be a really good team in two years. If they get a good draft pick and find a way to bring in one above-average free agent, they should be able to move up into the top four to six teams in their conference. However, if they have to start paying Wall so much money, they'll get in financial trouble quickly once Beal and Porter are up for new deals. That's what got OKC, Denver and Memphis.

monosylab1k
07-26-2013, 01:28 AM
Last year after the All Star break, Wall was without a doubt the 2nd best PG in the league behind CP3. It's overpaying considering he's only put together half of a season, but in that time he established his superstar potential. I don't think the contract is terrible, and i think you guys are woefully undervaluing what John Wall would get on the open market.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Last year after the All Star break, Wall was without a doubt the 2nd best PG in the league behind CP3. It's overpaying considering he's only put together half of a season, but in that time he established his superstar potential. I don't think the contract is terrible, and i think you guys are woefully undervaluing what John Wall would get on the open market.

on the open market the wiz couldve just match the offer then outbidding themselves now

TheGreatYacht
07-26-2013, 01:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYLbvW9OuDg&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3oaf4oGZlPVYrvQ0lx8J9w

monosylab1k
07-26-2013, 01:37 AM
on the open market the wiz couldve just match the offer then outbidding themselves now

If he puts together a full season like the 2nd half of last year, he'll be even more expensive than 5/80.

spurraider21
07-26-2013, 01:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYLbvW9OuDg&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3oaf4oGZlPVYrvQ0lx8J9w

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/3004754608/d1961570169679d877fed017e80383ab.png

Chinook
07-26-2013, 01:52 AM

I'm not disputing that Wall is a good player with the potential to be special. I'm just comment on the rarity with which max extensions are given to players coming off rookie contracts. From an admittedly superficial count, I saw 10 players who received max extensions in the last seven qualifying drafts (2004-2010). So usually, there's only one player who proves worthy of the honor each year. The only players on that list with whom Wall compares favorably in terms of WS/48 are Westbrook and Rose. Each of those players were significantly more accomplished in other areas.

Honestly, Wall compares best to Stephen Curry. Wall's averaged 17/8/4 per 36 and Curry's averaged 20/6/3. Last season, Wall averaged 20.4/8.4/4.4, while Curry in his third season averaged 18.8/6.8/4.3. Wall had a really good PER of 20.8 and .134 WS/48, but Curry beat him with 21.2 and .144, respectively. They've both missed a good number of games with injuries, although I think Wall will be more durable. Curry's making $11 Million a year for four years. Does Wall really deserve to make almost twice as much?

Chinook
07-26-2013, 01:55 AM
If he puts together a full season like the 2nd half of last year, he'll be even more expensive than 5/80.

That's impossible, provided that Wall's deal is indeed a max contract, (and it looks like that from the numbers), he can't get more in free agency. At the most, the highest offer another team can make is $62M/4.

spurraider21
07-26-2013, 01:59 AM
if they don't extend him now (which given his injury history i'm sure he'll take the guaranteed contract) they run the risk of him signing a 1 year tender next year then leaving

Chinook
07-26-2013, 02:01 AM
if they don't extend him now (which given his injury history i'm sure he'll take the guaranteed contract) they run the risk of him signing a 1 year tender next year then leaving

Actually, no. The Wizards can tender him to what's called a maximum qualifying offer (MQO). That's essentially a straight max contract with no bonuses and fully guaranteed. Wall can sign that MQO or sign an offer sheet with another team that the Wizards can then match. He can't just decide to sign a one-year deal and leave.

From the CBA FAQ:

If the player is coming off the fourth year of his rookie scale contract, then in addition to a qualifying offer, his team can also submit a maximum qualifying offer. A maximum qualifying offer is for five seasons at the maximum salary with 7.5% annual raises. It can contain no options, ETOs or bonuses of any kind, and must be fully guaranteed. When a team submits a maximum qualifying offer (in essence "stepping up" with a maximum contract offer before the player hits the free agent market), it places a more stringent requirement on other teams' offer sheets (see below).

A player can elect to accept his qualifying offer and play the following season under its terms. This is sometimes done in order to become an unrestricted free agent the following summer (see question number 45 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q45)).When a restricted free agent wants to sign with another team, the player and team sign an offer sheet, the principal terms of which the original team is given three days to match. The offer sheet must be for at least two seasons (not including option years). If the player's prior team also submitted a maximum qualifying offer, then the offer sheet must be for at least three seasons (not including option years). If the player's original team exercises its right of first refusal within three days, the player is then under contract to his original team, at the principal terms of the offer sheet (but not the non-principal terms). If the player's original team does not exercise its right of first refusal within three days (or provides written notice that it is declining its right of first refusal), the offer sheet becomes an official contract with the new team.

spurraider21
07-26-2013, 02:08 AM
interesting. i'd never heard of the MQO. has that ever been applied?

Vash StampedE
07-26-2013, 02:13 AM
I like Wall's game but this is a head-scratching move. Wall still has 1 year left on his current contract, right? If so, why were the Wizard's front-office too eager to offer him that big money when they could have first assessed if he could follow-up his promising play during the second half of last season and if he could sustain that for a high number of games, if not whole-season long. Is it to give Wall the confidence he needs to reach his potential? Or are the Wizards trying to mock their own selves with these unwizardry undertaking.

Looking at the team's performance after last season's All-Star break, I was starting to root that they do good. I also have already included them to my list of must-watch/watchable teams. But with this news coming out, my expectations of them have changed. Making it to the playoffs is not gonna do it for me. They need to at least make it to the 2nd round for Wall to prove that he's worth that contract.

Chinook
07-26-2013, 02:19 AM
interesting. i'd never heard of the MQO. has that ever been applied?

Don't know. I think it's rare because teams usually either sign their players to max extensions the year before (Harden, Griffin) or just match the max offer the player gets in restricted free agency (Gordon, Hibbert). It doesn't make too much sense to offer so much money when you've already gotten to the point of letting other teams set the (cheaper) market for you. That's the primary reason why max extensions are so rare as well.

whitemamba
07-26-2013, 03:14 AM
MJs stain still on the Wiz.

LkrFan
07-26-2013, 04:57 AM

Are you and Horse first cousins?

PingPong
07-26-2013, 08:25 AM

Well, if Wall and Nene were healthy last season, They could got into the playoffs easily.

Seventyniner
07-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Curry's making $11 Million a year for four years. Does Wall really deserve to make almost twice as much?

Don't tell me that you're falling into the "Lakers can offer Dwight $30M more than any other team!" trap! Sure, $80M is almost twice as much as $44M, but it's over 5 years instead of 4. The operative number is the average annual salary; $16M is just under 1.5 times $11M.

Another point against yours is that while 5/80 is overpaying for Wall, 4/44 for Curry is a steal for the Warriors. You can't say that anything more than 4/44 (or 5/55) for Wall is overpaying when Curry is underpaid.

AchillesHeel
07-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Wall deserves the money based on last season, he turns a lottery team into 1st round fodder, it's worth the max in today's NBA.

Chinook
07-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Don't tell me that you're falling into the "Lakers can offer Dwight $30M more than any other team!" trap! Sure, $80M is almost twice as much as $44M, but it's over 5 years instead of 4. The operative number is the average annual salary; $16M is just under 1.5 times $11M.

I do think this is a little different. We're not talking about what the Wizards can offer versus what another team can. In Howard's case, Houston CAN offer a "fifth year" by extending his contract in three years. Financially, he's really not taking a big risk, since he's a max player anyway. In this case, what's true is that the Warriors could have offered Curry a fifth year and chose not to (or Curry said no, but whatever). In essence, two teams in almost the exact same situation decided to extend their rising-star point-guards. One guaranteed its player the max for five years and the other only guaranteed $44 Million.

Golden State also failed to make Curry a max player, which decreases the chances of him getting a max deal after this extension is up. They started a trend of not overpaying their players, which should help them re-sign Thompson and Barnes when the time comes. Washington could be in a lot of trouble financially if their team gets good.

Another point against yours is that while 5/80 is overpaying for Wall, 4/44 for Curry is a steal for the Warriors. You can't say that anything more than 4/44 (or 5/55) for Wall is overpaying when Curry is underpaid.

Actually, as I said earlier in the thread, Curry's deal is pretty much what you expect from rookie extensions. If you take last year's extension class for example, you'd see that besides Griffin and Harden (who had put up more-consistent numbers and had greater team success than Wall), no other player got much more than Curry did. Lawson got $48 Million; Holliday got $41 Million; DeRozan got $38 Million; and Gibson got $33 Million. The year before, Ibaka got $49 Million and Gallinari got $42 Million (in addition to the max extensions given out of Westbrook and Rose, and the four-year max given out to Love). Usually, if a player doesn't get the max, they'll get between $8-12 Million.

Brazil
07-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Chinook is becoming one of my favorite poster :tu

Rogue
07-26-2013, 08:02 PM
16m is just 2 millions more than 14, even less than the combined salary of Bonner and turnoverbili for last season.

Darth_Pelican
07-31-2013, 07:01 PM
John Wall gets $80 million deal

Updated: July 31, 2013, 7:54 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Wall, Wizards Agree To Extension

The Washington Wizards (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/wsh/washington-wizards) have agreed to a contract extension with point guard John Wall (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4237/john-wall), the team announced Wednesday.
According to multiple reports, Wall signed a five-year extension worth $80 million. The Wizards will formally announce the signing at a Thursday news conference.
"Since drafting John with the first overall pick, we have been impressed with his maturation, hard work and commitment to our franchise," Wizards owner Ted Leonsis said. "He is the cornerstone of our team, and we have clearly expressed our desire to build around him well before making it official by re-signing him today. We are extremely confident in his leadership abilities and are excited to see the continued improvement of the team."
Wall's deal will begin at the start of the 2014-15 season, the Washington Post reported.
ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported last week that Wall and the Wizards were close to the $80 million extension and that both sides were on course to have an agreement signed by Aug. 1.
Wall would have been eligible to sign an extension until Oct. 31. Without a deal by that deadline, he would have become a restricted free agent on July 1, 2014.
"I am both proud and humbled by the belief that the Wizards organization, the fans and my teammates have shown in me since I arrived here three years ago," Wall said. "I can promise all of them that I will repay that belief by representing the city of Washington and doing everything I can to get this team back where it belongs."
Although Wall missed nearly half of the 2012-13 season after knee surgery, his strong recovery during Washington's final 49 games and solid connection with fellow young guard Bradley Beal (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6580/bradley-beal) convinced Wizards management that the former Kentucky star is worthy of a franchise-player contract.
Wall averaged 18.5 points, 7.6 assists and 4.0 rebounds after his January return while shooting a career-best 44.1 percent from the field.
Information from ESPN.com's Marc Stein was used in this report.

Chinook
08-01-2013, 12:30 AM
I honestly hope it works out for them. If he can get something out of Nene and Okafor, the Wizards could be a pretty dangerous team. They're the only team in the East that can match Indiana's size.

RsxPiimp
08-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Juwan Howard $100 million
Gilbert Arenas $120 million
John Wall $80 million

That's a lot of money for mediocdrity.

RsxPiimp
08-01-2013, 12:49 AM
John Wall $80 million

Raven
08-01-2013, 06:50 AM

with tmac and nash he was the biggest no D loser a team could have.

Raven
08-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Yeah, but just let him test the market next year and match. Worst comes to worst, Wall gets a max contract, which is worth less than a max extension. More than likely, he'd get between $8-12 Million a season.

yeah, i don't understand why would anyone resign a player for the max when they can match any offer.. just retarded, or maybe i am missing something.

Ice009
08-01-2013, 09:52 AM
I used to like Gilbert Arenas, too bad that he got injured and couldn't live up to that contact. I think John Wall is a good player too. Not sure if he should have earned that contract after half a good season, but he is pretty good.

Michael Jordan.
08-01-2013, 11:02 AM
John Wall $80 million

You should know.

whitemamba
08-02-2013, 04:33 AM
You should know.

bobcats...

Michael Jordan.