PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte 84 Spurs 62 OUCH!

ducks
07-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Charlotte 84 Spurs 62

SALT LAKE CITY – Sean May broke out in a big way on Tuesday afternoon, scoring 22 points and grabbing 7 rebounds as the Charlotte Bobcats used a hot-shooting second half to pull away from San Antonio in a 84-62 pasting at the Reebok Rocky Mountain Revue.

The league’s two leading scorers were both non-factors in the game, surprisingly. Early on neither the Spurs’ Britton Johnsen nor Charlotte’s Matt Carroll were able to get going, but their teammates were able to lift them. Charlotte reserve Antonio Meeking entered the game early and promptly began taking control of the middle, cashing in for 7 first quarter points and 4 rebounds (2 big offensive boards). Sean May also took advantage of the Spur’s soft inside, raking up 7 points for the Bobcats, all in the first 5 minute. For the Spurs, Johnsen still managed to lead them with 5 in the first frame, but little used reserve Brian Lubeck’s three from the corner made the score 15-11 with 3:24 left in the quarter.

San Antonio came out firing at the onset of the second. Back-to-back baskets by B.J. Elder and Johnsen gave San Antonio their first lead of the game at 24-23. Elder’s spinning lay-up gave the Spurs a 28-25 lead with 6: 38 left, but from then on it was all Bobcats.

Former North Carolina teammates and dual first-round selections May and Raymond Felton took over the game halfway through the quarter. Beginning with Felton lobbing the ball ahead to May on a fast break for a dunk at 6:13, the Bobcats went on a 12-3 run. May and Felton were involved in every play, either scoring or dishing the ball out. By the time it was said and done, the team had taken a 41-31 lead. San Antonio managed to bring the score back in check, thanks in large part to a breakaway lay-up by point guard Andre Barrett, who was fouled on the play and converted the free-throw. The score at the half: 41-36, in favor of Charlotte. May had 13 points in the half, while Felton tallied 4 points and 5 assists.

The third quarter was much the same – only this time it was May doing most of the work. With Felton sitting out after getting hit in the chest midway through the period, May lifted the team on his shoulders and made sure they maintained the large lead. May hit on 4-of-6 on the quarter, racking up 9 more points. Charlotte shot a hot 52.9% (9-17) in the period.

And as hot as May was, Johnsen was that cold for San Antonio, hitting only one of his five attempts for two points in the quarter. Going into the fourth with a commanding 62-49 lead, the Bobcats could afford to ease off a little bit.

But the team kept pushing the ball, fending off a game Spurs squad. Melvin Sanders and Barrett kept them the lead within 12 for half of the quarter, but Charlotte’s hot shooting eventually was too much for them to handle. With Kevin Burleson’s fast break lay-up while being fouled (he made the free throw), the Cats went up 80-57.

B.J. Elder and Josh Asserlin both led the Spurs with 10 apiece. Johnsen managed only 9 points on 4-of-3 shooting. As a team San Antonio shot 31.6% on the game, compared to 48.5% (51.5% in the second half) for Charlotte.

Charlotte’s record now stands at 3-1, and San Antonio falls to 2-1. All teams in the Revue have a bye on Wednesday.

HB22inSA
07-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Fire Pop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Damn these no heart Spurs!

They're done! They're through! Spineless muthas!

F' F'in F'in F'ers!!! I'm never posting here again!!

/TPark

TheTruth
07-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Damn it. I think we need to find a way to get Malik back.

gospursgojas
07-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Matt Carroll, I remeber that kid...

ducks
07-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Bring Back Aj!

Mark in Austin
07-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Sean May also took advantage of the Spur’s soft inside,

Christ that makes my stomach turn, even if it is only summer league.

T Park
07-19-2005, 06:57 PM

/TPark

Yawn.

Get a fucking life.

RobinsontoDuncan
07-19-2005, 07:01 PM
did karulov play?

King
07-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Johnsen managed only 9 points on 4-of-3 shooting.

That's impressive. I'll take 4 for 3 any day.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-19-2005, 07:09 PM

/TPark

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Yawn.

Get a fucking life.

:lmao

TPark's F bomb-to-post ratio has maintained a constant 42.7%.

Congratulations on your consistency brutha!

RobinsontoDuncan
07-19-2005, 07:24 PM
did sergei karaluov play does anyone know? He was getting very limited minutes in the first two games, which i dont understand.

ace3g
07-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Johnsen did have 12 rebounds in the game, that is good for playing the SF position even in a summer league game; and he has been avg around 8-9 boards a game, I think he deserves a spot on the spurs training camp roster

clubalien
07-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Fire Pop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
while pop doesn;lt coachsummer league i DO AGREE WITR YOU GENERALLY
FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP FIRE POP

Sense
07-19-2005, 07:56 PM
It's all Pop's fault! [/AHF]

Spursdaone
07-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Fire Pop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol

ChumpDumper
07-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Johnsen managed only 9 points on 4-of-3 shooting.Dude, I'll take 133% from the field any day....

Solid D
07-19-2005, 08:31 PM
The Spurs need to start learning to win away from home. Spurs have no heart. I liken my reaction to that of boutons when the Spurs lost in Sacramento. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED. Spurs won't win a title with this kind of effort.

Russ
07-19-2005, 09:05 PM
NCAA Champs > Spurs summer league team.

:)

JUUOT
07-19-2005, 10:04 PM
the boxscore is available for the two other game but not spurs. life is unfair.

Spurminator
07-19-2005, 10:53 PM
If we can't win when it doesn't matter, how can we hope to win when it DOES matter?