PDA

View Full Version : OT: Magic Johnson

barakz21
07-26-2013, 05:47 PM
In class today, we watched a BSPN film, about "The Announcement" by Magic back in 1991. After watching the video, I realized I was lucky NOT to be old enough at that time to be aware about basketball. If I had been older then, I might've become a fan of his, and in effect, the Lakers. Then I might not have become a fan of TD and the Spurs. :wow

Seriously, despite his numbers not being overwhelming compared to other Laker greats, he's gotta be the best Laker ever. And his contributions in the fight against HIV/AIDS can never be forgotten.

(Sorry dudes, it's a pretty boring offseason after all)

Big Empty
07-26-2013, 05:50 PM
agreed. pretty damn brave to come out in 1991 and anounce that. takes balls. much respect for the guy no matter how much he loves his team

KL2
07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Did he get fvcked in the ass or did he do the fucking? Seems more like a receiver than a giver tbh.

admiralsnackbar
07-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Too bad his analysis is awful. Guy tarnishes his legacy every time he opens his mouth on national tv.

How a guy with such a high "BBIQ" can sound like such a twit is beyond me.

barakz21
07-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Too bad his analysis is awful. Guy tarnishes his legacy every time he opens his mouth on national tv.

And a bit of a bandwagoner too. I remember before the playoffs started, he said the Lakers will upset the Spurs. Then they go down 0-2 and he basically gave the series to the Spurs. :lol

admiralsnackbar
07-26-2013, 06:06 PM
And a bit of a bandwagoner too. I remember before the playoffs started, he said the Lakers will upset the Spurs. Then they go down 0-2 and he basically gave the series to the Spurs. :lol

Exactly. He's a walking instance of the sports commentary as narrative issue that sports news is guilty of... at the expense of the actual sport.

barakz21
07-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Exactly. He's a walking instance of the sports commentary as narrative issue that sports news is guilty of... at the expense of the actual sport.

True story. :toast

elmanutres
07-26-2013, 06:16 PM
still, he had balls for what he did in 91. Back then AIDS was still a relatively mysterious disease. It pisses me off that Kobe was called "the greatest laker of all time". I find that bullshit. Kobe will be a laker great but Magic is the greatest laker of them all.

HI-FI
07-26-2013, 06:19 PM
I was a Laker kid growing up, being from Cali, and Magic was a big reason. still a top 3 favorite player of mine. Once Kobe became the future face of the team, I couldn't root for them. I had already been digging Spurs since the mid to late 90s, but seeing what the Lakers became, I couldn't root for them even though they were winning.

Poolboy5623
07-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Here I thought magic was making a comeback, and the spurs were one of the interested teams.

spurs1990
07-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Remind me how it was brave for him to reveal his condition back in 1991? I mean by all accounts the rules and regulations of the league surely would have mandated full disclosure.

IRregardless, I also don't believe he should be held to high esteem when you account for his explanation of how he 'encountered' the virus...i.e. sleeping with "5 women at a time." Right on Earvin. Way to be.

Kool Bob Love
07-26-2013, 07:35 PM
In class today, we watched a BSPN film, about "The Announcement" by Magic back in 1991. After watching the video, I realized I was lucky NOT to be old enough at that time to be aware about basketball. If I had been older then, I might've become a fan of his, and in effect, the Lakers. Then I might not have become a fan of TD and the Spurs. :wow

Seriously, despite his numbers not being overwhelming compared to other Laker greats, he's gotta be the best Laker ever. And his contributions in the fight against HIV/AIDS can never be forgotten.

(Sorry dudes, it's a pretty boring offseason after all)

Lakersground is that way ------->

Fuck Magic
Fuck kareem
Fuck shaq
Fuck george mikan
Fuck West
Fuck kobe

FTL tbh.

Vic Petro
07-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Did he get fvcked in the ass or did he do the fucking? Seems more like a receiver than a giver tbh.

He got it by ploughing through thousands of women in 1980s cocaine Los Angeles without protection.

Of course he is the greatest Laker ever and Kobe isn't close. The only Laker that belongs in the same breath as him is Kareem. Best players ever 1. Jordan 2. Magic 3. Kareem 4. Russell 5. Duncan

I'm not sure about the '91 announcement being brave though. What other choice did he have but to announce it? What other reason could he have given for retiring at that point of his career, and then being spotted at the doctors office every week, or wasting away to nothing (which is what some thought would happen to him). It would've been unethical at the time to keep playing and not say anything. So he did what he had to do - the only thing he could do.

What WAS brave, and extraordinarily so, was making a conscious decision to become the face of the disease in subsequent years. To come back and play in the All Star game despite assholes like Karl Malone saying they didn't want to be on the same court.

Without Magic putting himself at the forefront of the battle against AIDS throughout the 90's, we might be 20 years behind culturally in terms of how we treat HIV and AIDS.

ViceCity84
07-26-2013, 09:00 PM
He got HIV from a guy.It''s impossible for a straight/non iv drug abuser male to get HIV.He didn''t do drugs and no known blood transfussions.He got it from sex.I bet the house he got it from a male.A womans infected HIV pussy juice cant travel through your dickhole.It''s scientifically proven.Even if he had open sores on his weiner,not enough to get through from womans vaginal fluid.

Rogue
07-26-2013, 09:02 PM
If you take that as an act of bravery then you must admire Duncan more after this summer because he's also come out, intentionally or not.

Vic Petro
07-26-2013, 09:15 PM
He got HIV from a guy.It''s impossible for a straight/non iv drug abuser male to get HIV.He didn''t do drugs and no known blood transfussions.He got it from sex.I bet the house he got it from a male.A womans infected HIV pussy juice cant travel through your dickhole.It''s scientifically proven.Even if he had open sores on his weiner,not enough to get through from womans vaginal fluid.

Yeah, that's wrong. A male can absolutely contract HIV via vaginal sex. It's lower risk than for the female, certainly, but it can happen.

You also aren't considering sex with women who are menstruating.

Marcus Bryant
07-26-2013, 09:24 PM
He and Isaiah used to fuck each other.

ViceCity84
07-26-2013, 09:27 PM
It can happen,when a man has sex 1000x with a hiv infected female partner,open sores,unhealthy,blood exchange through vaginal sex,then he gets infected.
BTW Magic fucked alot of random strangers,number of partners has no bearing on being infected since it''s so difficult to contract the disease through female-male transmission.It usually takes a whole lot of fucking with infected female through unprotected sex numerous times and the disease still won''t transmit.

Juggity
07-26-2013, 10:26 PM

:lmao

Individuals infected through heterosexual contact accounted for 27% of estimated new HIV infections in 2009 and 28% of people living with HIV in 2008.

http://aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/hiv-aids-101/statistics/

Baseline
07-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Magic contracted (or "attained," as he said in his press conference) the HIV virus because he was inundated with candy. He freely admitted this. He was a Laker and a star player, and it's LA. Fresh ones off the bus every month. Yet Bryant has to go and rape a girl in Colorado. It's just unbelievable.

lefty
07-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Remind me how it was brave for him to reveal his condition back in 1991? I mean by all accounts the rules and regulations of the league surely would have mandated full disclosure.

IRregardless, I also don't believe he should be held to high esteem when you account for his explanation of how he 'encountered' the virus...i.e. sleeping with "5 women at a time." Right on Earvin. Way to be.
yeah like you wouldnt sleep with 5 hot women if you could

Leetonidas
07-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Shoulda wore a condom

lefty
07-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Shoulda wore a condom
its magic

he is dumb

its not his fault

baseline bum
07-26-2013, 10:36 PM

Amazing he's so bad on TV; he's clearly a pretty damn smart guy both on the floor and in his business dealings (other than buying the Dodgers for that price :lol).

barakz21
07-27-2013, 05:29 AM
Amazing he's so bad on TV; he's clearly a pretty damn smart guy both on the floor and in his business dealings (other than buying the Dodgers for that price :lol).

Agreed, except for the Dodgers thing (I don't really follow baseball) :lol