PDA

View Full Version : Invoking 9/11, Chris Christie slams libertarians

FuzzyLumpkins
07-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J., condemned the growing "strain of libertarianism" among some Republican politicians on Thursday, saying those engaging in an "esoteric" debate about civil liberties might feel differently if they sat down with those widowed and orphaned by the September 11, 2001 terror attacks.

"This strain of libertarianism that's going through parties right now and making big headlines I think is a very dangerous thought," Christie said during a panel discussion with several other Republican governors at the Aspen Institute.

Asked if he was referring specifically to Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., the Republican perhaps most closely associated with a libertarian platform on defense issues and a potential rival of Christie's in the 2016 GOP presidential primary, the New Jersey Republican replied, "You can name any number of people, and he's one of them."

"These esoteric, intellectual debates - I want them to come to New Jersey and sit across from the widows and the orphans and have that conversation. And they won't, because that's a much tougher conversation to have," he added.

"I think what we as a country have to decide is: Do we have amnesia? Because I don't," he said. "And I remember what we felt like on September 12, 2001."

He suggested those stressing the paramount importance of privacy and civil liberties might not seem so principled after "the next attack that comes, that kills thousands of Americans as a result."

Christie's comments mark the latest salvo in an increasingly heated civil war within the GOP, which has seen its traditionally hawkish posture challenged in recent months by the rise of a libertarian vanguard within Republican ranks, epitomized by Paul along with Sens. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and Mike Lee, R-Utah, who have warned that recently revealed government surveillance programs sacrifice too much privacy in the name of security.

Christie, Paul, and Cruz are all considered potential Republican contenders for the presidency in 2016, and Christie's decision to throw his lot in with the hawks - and publicly denounce the opposing viewpoint - could represent an early attempt to stake out a robust, strong platform on national security and defense.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57595665/invoking-9-11-chris-christie-slams-libertarians/

AntiChrist
07-26-2013, 06:33 PM
slow news day

FuzzyLumpkins
07-26-2013, 06:42 PM
slow news day

If you don't think Christie publicly backing the neocons in this climate is significant then I wouldn't say that I am surprised but I would say that you are wrong.

lefty
07-26-2013, 07:02 PM
So who did it ?

Clipper Nation
07-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Pretty gross for Christie to be using the 9/11 victims' families as a prop for cheap political talking points, but it's to be expected for a slimy neocon....

Th'Pusher
07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
slow news day

:lol you wish the Republican Party wasn't fracturing before your eyes :cry

Th'Pusher
07-26-2013, 08:06 PM
And it's not just Christie

http://m.politico.com/iphone/story/0713/94817.html

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Pretty gross for Christie to be using the 9/11 victims' families as a prop for cheap political talking points, but it's to be expected for a slimy neocon....
Especially when that neocon is a dego greaseball wop :lol

Capt Bringdown
07-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Interesting to see a politician slip now and then, to reveal that there's pretty much fuck-all separating the R's from D's. Serving Corporate Masters Uber Alles.

Nbadan
07-28-2013, 03:40 AM
Cruz is the chosen Neo-con candidate......Christie is interesting....