PDA

View Full Version : Spurs looking to trade for Granger?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-26-2013, 10:32 PM
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/18715/20130726/indiana-pacers-rumors-danny-granger-trade-la-clippers-wizards-76ers.htm

TheGoldStandard
07-26-2013, 10:33 PM
He's coming off an injury that was pretty serious.. sounds about right.. Spurs love old and busted.

DapDaGenius
07-26-2013, 10:41 PM
He's coming off an injury that was pretty serious.. sounds about right.. Spurs love old and busted.

:rollin

Leetonidas
07-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Not gonna happen. Spurs can't make a better offer than Phoenix and isn't this dude making a decent chunk of change this season?

TheGoldStandard
07-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Yeah, spurs would either try to find some Euro guy nobody has ever heard of, some 3rd string bench guy who has "potential" or some 40 year old dude who used to be good.

Knoxxx
07-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Granger is only 30 and Spurs need to add salary and offload a couple guards while they could use another SF. In the meantime, Indiana needs another ball handler badly and we have three expendables there.

rick1991
07-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Who could we offer?

TXstbobcat
07-26-2013, 11:55 PM
I know it's doubtful but I'm in favor of this.

TXstbobcat
07-26-2013, 11:56 PM
2 questions. Did I just get sucked into another spurs rumor that won't happen and is this one going last 47 pages like the ak47 thread????

Kingsly Alexander
07-27-2013, 12:03 AM
This would Turn our offseason from a C to an A+. We'd have to get another team involved to make the numbers work, but we'd more then likely he giving up Green and either Diaw or Bonner. Hopefully in this situation we could get rid of Mills or Nando

T Park
07-27-2013, 12:10 AM
No assets Indiana would want that the Spurs can afford to give up.

Hoops Czar
07-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Who could we offer?

Oh, the usual.... Bonner, Blair, De Colo and Mills. I'm surprised the Pacers haven't contacted the Spurs already. Who couldn't use a stretch four, an undersized Center with a heart of gold, a "mini" Manu, and a third string shooting guard.

TheGreatYacht
07-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Oh, the usual.... Bonner, Blair, De Colo and Mills. I'm surprised the Pacers haven't contacted the Spurs already. Who couldn't use a stretch four, an undersized Center with a heart of gold, a "mini" Manu, and a third string shooting guard.Any combination of Blair, Bonner, Neal, Mill, and De Colo would be a good offer but I highly doubt this can happen especially with that report of Phoenix being deeply involved in the trade talks.

rjv
07-27-2013, 12:52 AM

and somehow manage to always be in contention.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Any combination of Blair, Bonner, Neal, Mill, and De Colo would be a good offer but I highly doubt this can happen especially with that report of Phoenix being deeply involved in the trade talks.

It was reported that Scola was traded for Gerald Green and a draft pick

Vic Petro
07-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Granger makes $14m next season. Assuming the Spurs aren't trading TP, TD, Manu, or Splitter, they'd have to trade Bonner and Danny Green and Diaw to make this work. No chance.

TheGreatYacht
07-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Granger makes $14m next season. Assuming the Spurs aren't trading TP, TD, Manu, or Splitter, they'd have to trade Bonner and Danny Green and Diaw to make this work. No chance.True or they would have to overpay the fuck out of Neal & Blair and include Matt Bonner onto the deal... even then, I doubt this would be enough.

Chinook
07-27-2013, 01:06 AM
Granger makes $14m next season. Assuming the Spurs aren't trading TP, TD, Manu, or Splitter, they'd have to trade Bonner and Danny Green and Diaw to make this work. No chance.

Actually, Bonner, De Colo and Neal and Blair on S&Ts would be enough salary-wise, provided that Neal and Blair had a combined salary of about $8 Million next season. If Mills were included, then Neal and Blair would only need to combine for about $5.6 Million. It's completely doable.

Now, finding homes for all of those players and being able to give Indiana enough value are different matters entirely.

Chinook
07-27-2013, 01:09 AM
I'd prefer a Bonner-for-Rush deal if Indiana is game. Perhaps De Colo would be enough sweetener, since Rush's main value is being an expiring contract anyway.

UnWantedTheory
07-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Assuming this were possible, how would he fit?

therealtruth
07-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Someone convince me this isn't the RJ trade all over again?

chrhawk
07-27-2013, 01:15 AM
This isn't even a real report. And trading Granger right now makes no sense for Indiana.

Chinook
07-27-2013, 01:18 AM
Someone convince me this isn't the RJ trade all over again?

At worst, it would be the Jefferson trade if RJ had left after the first year instead of re-signing.

TheGoldStandard
07-27-2013, 01:24 AM

8 teams are always in contention in the west but the Spurs haven't won anything since 2007.

UnWantedTheory
07-27-2013, 01:28 AM
8 teams are always in contention in the west but the Spurs haven't won anything since 2007.

Could just be me, but expecting to win a ship every year could be setting the bar a tad high.

Russo21
07-27-2013, 01:34 AM
I know Granger only played a handful of games this passed season, what injury did he have?

Russo21
07-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Anyways, not likely to happen. But just say we meet Miami again and according to Pop we're better off going small

Duncan
Leonard
Granger
Green/Manu
Tony

That would be pretty sweet lineup. Save Tiago for the likes of Memphis, Houston etc. We're not gonna get him anyway. Look what happened with the last overpayed SF we traded for who was supposed to help win us a ring

TheGoldStandard
07-27-2013, 01:46 AM
Could just be me, but expecting to win a ship every year could be setting the bar a tad high.

Perhaps for a fan but for an organization that's there goal..

Kidd K
07-27-2013, 01:51 AM
I don't really understand what we have that would be a reasonable exchange for Granger that we should even be giving up. Duncan, Parker, and Leonard are obviously untouchables, and I guess they're probably listing Manu as untouchable still too. So that means we'd at least have to give up Green and probably at least one other decent player (Diaw possibly) and either De Colo or Joseph at minimum for Granger and a scrub.

I'm not sure that's worth it even though it's probably a "fair" trade if Granger's anywhere near what he used to be. I'd rather still have Green and Diaw than have Granger, as homerish as that may sound. I'm kinda happy with Green and Diaw tbh. What we actually needed was a free agent backup PG or SG/SF to take up some of the playmaking responsbility. Not to whiff on signing any of the many guys who were available then be considering a trade in which we'd have to give up some of that depth which greastly helped us nearly get a title.

Spur|n|Austin
07-27-2013, 02:26 AM

http://oi39.tinypic.com/jhdd07.jpg

UnWantedTheory
07-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Perhaps for a fan but for an organization that's there goal..

Goals & expectations are 2 different things.

Johnny RIngo
07-27-2013, 03:32 AM
There's no way this can work salary-wise.

Texas_Ranger
07-27-2013, 05:16 AM
damn.. here we go again.

exstatic
07-27-2013, 07:10 AM
Not even remotely true. In any season, there might be two contenders in the East and two in the West. Making the playoffs does NOT make you a contender. Over the course of Tim's career, we've been ACTUAL contenders as much as anyone, including the Lakers, probably 13 years out of 16.

Strategic
07-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Oh, the usual.... Bonner, Blair, De Colo and Mills. I'm surprised the Pacers haven't contacted the Spurs already. Who couldn't use a stretch four, an undersized Center with a heart of gold, a "mini" Manu, and a third string shooting guard.:lmao

Strategic
07-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Assuming this is an old post because the Spurs just won the West this year?

Mal
07-27-2013, 07:36 AM
No chance. Spurs cant take 14 mil, Spurs dont have anything to offer to Indiana.

cd021
07-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Scola Trades to Indiana for Gerald Green and possibly a 1st rounder. Don't know how that effect a possible, hypothetical trade to Indiana

Kingsly Alexander
07-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I doubt we would be able to nag him without a deal involving Danny green, tbh. A whole different combinations of garbage isn't gonna entice indie, even if it included a 1st rounder which I sure a lot of contenders will be willing to package with their junk as well.

Perhaps, oh Boylen boy could pick up the phone and try to entice them, but I doubt he was that clout

Kingsly Alexander
07-27-2013, 08:25 AM
No chance. Spurs cant take 14 mil, Spurs dont have anything to offer to Indiana.

If they got involved with another party with cap space...say Atlanta, which sounds about perfect

kobyz
07-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Maybe it could be work a 3 team trade involving Washington and Play Blair...

CGD
07-27-2013, 09:32 AM
The question is WHEN we're the spurs interested. I have a feeling the article is basing its rumors on old info. I like the idea of Granger but Spurs would need to wait until he becomes UFA next summer. At this point Not sure what value the spurs would give Indiana, and 14m in salaries will be tough to come up with.

kobyz
07-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Blair, de colo, bonner to Washington, ariza, Neal, two first round picks to Indiana, granger to spurs...

Russo21
07-27-2013, 10:09 AM
please just come play for the spurs danny grainger we'd all freakin love you on this team

ffadicted
07-27-2013, 10:20 AM
lol no

Twisted_Dawg
07-27-2013, 11:10 AM
2 questions. Did I just get sucked into another spurs rumor that won't happen and is this one going last 47 pages like the ak47 thread????

Yes and Yes.

dallasmaverickslose
07-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Guys I seriously doubt this happens. Just saying.

Hoops Czar
07-27-2013, 11:20 AM

1.) No, because this isn't a rumor. This article is an opinion piece that stated the Spurs needed to make a move and Granger might be available. The OP mistakenly took that as the Spurs were interested in Granger.

2.) No because this non-rumor has no legs.

Mal
07-27-2013, 11:38 AM
If they got involved with another party with cap space...say Atlanta, which sounds about perfect

Picks, Blair, Neal, Bonner, CoJo, Mills, DeColo. What an amazing package.

racm
07-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Why would the Spurs try to pay a guy more money than Tony Parker to play 10 mpg anyway?

Part of why the Spurs are gonna look good for the future is their salary flexibility.

Baseline
07-27-2013, 12:09 PM
8 teams are always in contention in the west but the Spurs haven't won anything since 2007. And Timmy watches the last minute of Game 6 from the bench. Nice work, Pop.

jimo2305
07-27-2013, 12:42 PM
can we just amnesty this thread?

Agloco
07-27-2013, 04:28 PM

You make this sound as if it's an unexpected drought. In fact, only four teams have won a Championship since then.

therealtruth
07-27-2013, 09:11 PM
You make this sound as if it's an unexpected drought. In fact, only four teams have won a Championship since then.

A championship isn't the only way to show that we're competing each year. There's no reason we shouldn't have at least been able to make it to the conf finals every year. If we made it that far there's also a good chance we would have won more championships.

Chinook
07-27-2013, 10:45 PM
A championship isn't the only way to show that we're competing each year. There's no reason we shouldn't have at least been able to make it to the conf finals every year. If we made it that far there's also a good chance we would have won more championships.

The Spurs have played in the conference finals as much as any team has over the past six years. They're tied with Boston, Miami and Los Angeles at three appearances.

Ice009
07-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Close this thread down.

Sean Cagney
07-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Why the hell is this stupid thread near the top? Oh the offseason IN SA land :lol
Close this thread down.

YOUR damn right, but most will continue with their trade machine and how it can work, out of boredom I guess.

Give us some real news.

Agloco
07-28-2013, 01:16 AM

I'd agree in 2008. I thought we were robbed tbh. No one was beating Boston that year though.

The Spurs have played in the conference finals as much as any team has over the past six years. They're tied with Boston, Miami and Los Angeles at three appearances.

Puts things into perspective quite nicely.

Sean Cagney
07-28-2013, 01:25 AM
I'd agree in 2008. I thought we were robbed tbh. No one was beating Boston that year though.

Puts things into perspective quite nicely.
Yep, no way in HELL we were beating Detroit in 04 IMO they way they were playing and NO BARRY or Nazr yet who were huge in taht series against them and no way we beat Boston in 08 IMO, so some would disagree but I agree with you on that part.

If we make the finals in 06 though we win it all IMO, no way we choke it away like Dallas did basically staring at being up 3-0 and them blowing it in game 3 late up 15. Thats the one we would have won IMO, but 04 and 08 you could argue but I think we lose those series in all honesty.

TheGreatYacht
07-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Yep, no way in HELL we were beating Detroit in 04 IMO they way they were playing and NO BARRY or Nazr yet who were huge in taht series against them and no way we beat Boston in 08 IMO, so some would disagree but I agree with you on that part.

If we make the finals in 06 though we win it all IMO, no way we choke it away like Dallas did basically staring at being up 3-0 and them blowing it in game 3 late up 15. Thats the one we would have won IMO, but 04 and 08 you could argue but I think we lose those series in all honesty.We needed Speedy Claxton and Stephen Jackson for 2004 tbh. Those two would've not chocked the way Robert Horry and Hedo Turkoglu did. A Danny Ferry (reminds me a lot of Matt Bonner btw) and Steve Kerr would of come in handy too to hit some open shots because the Lakers were crowding the paint. I think if the Spurs had kept STJX and Claxton then they would've three peated from 2003-2005 tbh.

Sean Cagney
07-28-2013, 01:37 AM
We needed Speedy Claxton and Stephen Jackson for 2004 tbh. Those two would've not chocked the way Robert Horry and Hedo Turkoglu did. A Danny Ferry (reminds me a lot of Matt Bonner btw) and Steve Kerr would of come in handy too to hit some open shots because the Lakers were crowding the paint. I think if the Spurs had kept STJX and Claxton then they would've three peated from 2003-2005 tbh.

First of all Horry helped us win a ring bigtime the next year so I am glad he was here and I will never diss him for his contributions in 05 and 07, but he did lay an egg against his old team. I agree on Speedy and Jax though! But we had no D ROB in 04, we had TRASHO and Hedon't! No way we beat Detroit in 04 with the team we had then! IMO anyways. We got Nazr in a trade and added Barry for when Parker shit the bed as usual against certain teams, then we had a good shot and won it.

TheGreatYacht
07-28-2013, 01:57 AM
First of all Horry helped us win a ring bigtime the next year so I am glad he was here and I will never diss him for his contributions in 05 and 07, but he did lay an egg against his old team. I agree on Speedy and Jax though! But we had no D ROB in 04, we had TRASHO and Hedon't! No way we beat Detroit in 04 with the team we had then! IMO anyways. We got Nazr in a trade and added Barry for when Parker shit the bed as usual against certain teams, then we had a good shot and won it.I agree with everything you said. Also keep in mind that if we had signed Jackson to like a 4 or 5 year contract then he would've pretty much done everything that Horry did which was clutch performances in the playoffs. I believe that if we had kept STJX and Speedy that we still would've gotten Barry. I mean all Barry wanted was a ring. That's why I made that thread that the worst offseason for me was 2003. I wasn't around ST and as involved on the team so I don't know the reasoning behind breaking up the team but if I had to take a guess is then it would be that the FO pulled a Mark Cuban? They let SJX and Speedy walk so that they can bid on Jason Kidd? If so then what a major screw up.

PlayNando
07-28-2013, 01:58 AM
Hedo Turkoglu was good. The Spurs made a mistake in tossing him, tbh.

TheGreatYacht
07-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Hedo Turkoglu was good. The Spurs made a mistake in tossing him, tbh.He got better later on with the Magic but with the Spurs he shat the bed against the Lakers. He could not hit an open shot to save his life.

therealtruth
07-28-2013, 02:19 AM
He got better later on with the Magic but with the Spurs he shat the bed against the Lakers. He could not hit an open shot to save his life.

Shows what a good coach can do to bring out a player's talents.

Sean Cagney
07-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Shows what a good coach can do to bring out a player's talents.

So Stan was a good coach? Van Gundy that is?

dallasmaverickslose
07-28-2013, 02:33 AM
I thought we were going to trade for Paul George?

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Everyone who has followed the Spurs the year the FO was after Kidd, knows SJax was asking for way too much, and he never got it. He was a cancer for the Spurs and a turn over machine no matter what he did to help win the championship.
IMHO The Spurs were better off without him and should have never resigned him later because it came back to bite them in the butt.

therealtruth
07-28-2013, 10:06 AM
So Stan was a good coach? Van Gundy that is?

He turned Hedo into an allstar. He gave him the opportunity and confidence to be able to play his game. Pop made him a spot up shooter which wasn't his game.

PlayNando
07-28-2013, 11:02 AM
He got better later on with the Magic but with the Spurs he shat the bed against the Lakers. He could not hit an open shot to save his life.
We didn't even give him a chance, tbh.

Sean Cagney
07-28-2013, 11:49 AM
He turned Hedo into an allstar. He gave him the opportunity and confidence to be able to play his game. Pop made him a spot up shooter which wasn't his game.

Yeah he did work to his strengths there, not Pops fault though he could not HIT an open shot in the playoffs for the most part. If you are implying Van Gundy is better than Pop I would say most on earth would laugh or disagree. Pop does some things well you know.

Kingsly Alexander
07-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Picks, Blair, Neal, Bonner, CoJo, Mills, DeColo. What an amazing package.
No

therealtruth
07-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Yeah he did work to his strengths there, not Pops fault though he could not HIT an open shot in the playoffs for the most part. If you are implying Van Gundy is better than Pop I would say most on earth would laugh or disagree. Pop does some things well you know.

As far as emphasizing a player's strengths and allowing them to play their game, Van Gundy is better. Pop tends to try to conform players to his system which not every player handles well. Think of Hedo and RJ for example.

dallasmaverickslose
07-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Anybody know when the Spurs trading of Kawhi to get back Paul George becomes official? We really need a solid PG.

spursnatic
07-29-2013, 06:09 AM
With the Cap Room we have left I don't see this as being reality..He is still owed way too much on his current Contract

jhuan16
07-29-2013, 06:42 AM
RJ 2.0

SpursDynasty21
07-29-2013, 10:57 AM
I would like to see the Spurs acquire Granger. I'm not sure if it'll happen, though.