PDA

View Full Version : MBTF thinks college players should get paid

Blake
07-27-2013, 02:34 PM
..... Seen in the quote below, as reported by ESPN’s Darren Rovell.

Texas coach Mack Brown: “I do think players need to be paid. These players are killing themselves & at Texas last year we made $163M.”— darren rovell (@darrenrovell)*July 24, 2013Brown joins South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez, and*Maryland coach Randy Edsall*as coaches who have voiced their support for athletes receive compensation.

Brown’s Red River rival Bob Stoops is on the*other side*of the aisle, claiming that players already get enough return for their efforts with their scholarships.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/07/texas-longhorn-coach-mack-brown-says-college-football-players-should-be-paid.html/

On some levels I agree, but when you think it through, there's no fair way to do it.

Blake
07-27-2013, 02:36 PM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/files/2013/07/MACK_BROWN-300x201.jpg

DesignatedT
07-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Spurrier has been advocating for this for awhile now.

I might agree with some sort of flat compensation for all players that can help with travel expenses for their families and living costs but nothing substantial.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-28-2013, 08:54 AM
I think there should be a capped amount each player can get based off their seniority, but I've flipped completely on this and agree with MBTF. There are way too many parties profiting off these players while they get nothing. Furthermore a player should be able to transfer w/o sitting for a year if there's a school out there willing to pay him more.

The NCAA crying foul about how EA Sports was using the players to make money without compensating them was especially hilarious. Talk about throwing stones from a thin, delicate glass house.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Spurrier has been advocating for this for awhile now.

I might agree with some sort of flat compensation for all players that can help with travel expenses for their families and living costs but nothing substantial.
When the coaches and schools generate substantial revenue off the players, the players deserve a significant cut of that revenue.

Bill_Brasky
07-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Nah fuck that. They go to school completely for free and leave college debt free while we have tens of thousands racked up when we walk.

DesignatedT
07-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Free education from a top tier university plus the ability to find work virtually anywhere afterwards is a pretty significant reward.

DMX7
08-02-2013, 05:29 PM
NSTF doesn't.

http://nicksaban-texasfootball.com

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Nah fuck that. They go to school completely for free and leave college debt free while we have tens of thousands racked up when we walk.

We don't bring in millions of dollars for the schools.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-03-2013, 11:56 AM
They should also either scrap title 9 or if the feminazis wont let that happen exempt football from the title 9 rule. That's 70+ scholarships they have to give to bullshit women's sports no one cares about before male athletes in those same bullshit sports can get a scholarship.

baseline bum
08-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Free education from a top tier university plus the ability to find work virtually anywhere afterwards is a pretty significant reward.

You think elite, hell even good, college football and basketball players are students?

benefactor
08-03-2013, 07:13 PM
They should get something...especially the ones that are starting/upperclassmen. It might even keep players from leaving for the NFL a little longer if they are already making a little money in college. A solid D-I school could do something like 500 bucks per week minimum salary for those who make the team and it could go up from there. They could even do something like GPA incentive pay for athletes that work harder in classes. Other students athletes would likely get pissed at that but to hell with them. The aren't the ones raking in the dough for the college.

JoeTait75
08-03-2013, 07:23 PM

People pay to watch the uniform more than the athletes wearing them.

Put it this way, using Ohio State as an example: say Braxton Miller and Co. along with a bunch of other big-time CFB players decide that, instead of playing for free, they're going to band together and form their own semi-pro league. Do you think 105,000 people are going to show up to see the same players as the Columbus Something-or-Others the way 105,000 show up to see them as the Ohio State Buckeyes?

If these athletes are really the ones generating all this money, maybe that's what they should do- get together and form their own semi-pro league. As it stands now they're exploiting the name recognition, prestige and media exposure of the big-time schools just as much as the big-time schools are exploiting their athletic talent. It's a two-way street.

Bill_Brasky
08-03-2013, 10:05 PM

Neither does the average college athlete, tbh. Only like 20 BCS football programs are profitable, and only the big names attract attention. Nobody cares about Johnny Schitter, DE from Utah State. He isn't bringing in big money for the program.

The Reckoning
08-04-2013, 06:14 AM
full ride is enough. we don't need more incentive for dumbass gym education majors who bank on getting drafted then dont. start an amateur league for those who want to be paid.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2013, 11:14 AM
People pay to watch the uniform more than the athletes wearing them.

it this way, using Ohio State as an example: say Braxton Miller and Co. along with a bunch of other big-time CFB players decide that, instead of playing for free, they're going to band together and form their own semi-pro league. Do you think 105,000 people are going to show up to see the same players as the Columbus Something-or-Others the way 105,000 show up to see them as the Ohio State Buckeyes?
If the best high school players stopped playing college football and went straight to a pro league, yes, college fball would be less popular. It'd be just as popular as college baseball whereas the best high school baseball players go straight to the minors.

If these athletes are really the ones generating all this money, maybe that's what they should do- get together and form their own semi-pro league. As it stands now they're exploiting the name recognition, prestige and media exposure of the big-time schools just as much as the big-time schools are exploiting their athletic talent. It's a two-way street.
:lol they're exploiting something they're not making any money off? That makes tons of sense.

Rather than a semi-pro league, the obvious solution is to let players go to the pros straight out of high school and do it like the MLB does. As things stand it's a total anti-trust violation between the NFL and NCAA.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Neither does the average college athlete, tbh. Only like 20 BCS football programs are profitable, and only the big names attract attention. Nobody cares about Johnny Schitter, DE from Utah State. He isn't bringing in big money for the program.
This seems like a statistic Wild Cobra would make up.

Bill_Brasky
08-04-2013, 11:31 AM
This seems like a statistic Wild Cobra would make up.

It was from an article i vaguely remember reading a few years ago, and i was thinking athletic programs in general, not college football programs.

Anyway,

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/25/ncaa-report-shows-many-college-programs-in-the-red/

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2013, 11:39 AM
It was from an article i vaguely remember reading a few years ago, and i was thinking athletic programs in general, not college football programs.

Anyway,

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/25/ncaa-report-shows-many-college-programs-in-the-red/

From the article:

Fulks noted that many schools take profits from football and men’s basketball (two of the most profitable sports for universities) and spread them into lower-profile sports that that make little to no money. This results in larger subsidies from universities, which currently averages nationally at $10 million per year.

I blame that on title 9 tbh.

JoeTait75
08-04-2013, 11:54 AM
If the best high school players stopped playing college football and went straight to a pro league, yes, college fball would be less popular. It'd be just as popular as college baseball whereas the best high school baseball players go straight to the minors.

These players would be less popular too, though. If the entire Ohio State team decided to form their own semi-pro team and play as the Columbus Fury or whatever, they wouldn't even outdraw the bigger Columbus-area high-school teams.

:lol they're exploiting something they're not making any money off? That makes tons of sense.

Braxton Miller is exploiting the Ohio State brand, Ohio State facilities and Ohio State mass-media exposure to enhance his opportunity to make money off playing football, in the NFL. The money isn't on the front end, but it's there on the back end. You can't tell me that playing for Ohio State doesn't help his chances of cashing in further down the line.

My idea is to tolerate what the NCAA currently refers to as "cheating." Give these guys inducements under the table. Give them cars, women, no-show jobs, whatever. Let them sell tickets and memorabilia. I don't have a problem with any of that stuff. It doesn't hurt anybody. I'd prefer that to out-and-out paying them.

Better yet, how about a real minor-league feeder system for the NFL? Like with baseball, give kids the option of either going to college or playing football in the minors.

DUNCANownsKOBE
08-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Better yet, how about a real minor-league feeder system for the NFL? Like with baseball, give kids the option of either going to college or playing football in the minors.
That's all I want tbh. I wouldn't call for the players to be paid if not for the bullshit anti-trust agreement that forces players to stay in college for 3 years.

starboy
08-07-2013, 04:25 PM
We should run Football like Soccer is ran in Europe. Youth Camps sponsored by Pro Teams, promotion and relegation, that would make my dick hard.

DMX7
08-07-2013, 07:32 PM
MBTF thinks college players should get paid

So does Johnny Football! Zing!

rjv
08-08-2013, 11:22 AM
i could see some sort of stipend but it would not be a significant amount and wouldn't nullify infractions because athletes would still want more. bottom line is athletes are on a pedestal and college football fans (myself included) are culpable for that. universities generate exponentially greater revenue from patents and research and the grad students who do the grunt work for this research get paid squat. giving athletes gaudy compensation would just be an insult to those students.

Winehole23
08-09-2013, 11:46 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9551518/ncaa-shuts-site-jersey-sales-says-hypocritical

symple19
08-09-2013, 12:20 PM
LOL Jay Bilas forcing the NCAA's hand. I love that dude.

As for the OP, I don't think they should be paid (by the schools or the NCAA)

However, they should be allowed to profit on their own likenesses and make whatever kind of money off-campus they can, as long as its legal. If a booster wants to buy a kid a car, who the fuck cares? Basically what JoeTait75 said, only make it so that it doesn't have to be under the table.

Furthermore, the top conferences need to leave the NCAA, make their own realistic rules (to include recruiting), and implement a true playoff system (8 or more teams)

symple19
08-09-2013, 12:35 PM
We should run Football like Soccer is ran in Europe. Youth Camps sponsored by Pro Teams, promotion and relegation, that would make my dick hard.

promotion/relegation wouldn't work, imo. But an Academy (like those in European soccer) system, for those who don't want to go college, would definitely work.

However, the minimum age of 20 should be set in stone. Pro Football is so much the better for this. Pro teams could set up Academies for kids who are 17-20 that don't want to go to college or are too stupid to make the grades. Then, for those who can't make the NFL after age 20, you set up a minor league system to replace the scout teams currently in place. They could call players up during the season when injuries occur, generate increased revenue from the games their minor league teams play, and utilize that same team for gameday prep. It could also be a system wherein they increase their footprint/fanbase.

DMX7
08-24-2013, 04:05 PM
LOL Jay Bilas forcing the NCAA's hand. I love that dude.

As for the OP, I don't think they should be paid (by the schools or the NCAA)

However, they should be allowed to profit on their own likenesses and make whatever kind of money off-campus they can, as long as its legal. If a booster wants to buy a kid a car, who the fuck cares? Basically what JoeTait75 said, only make it so that it doesn't have to be under the table.

Furthermore, the top conferences need to leave the NCAA, make their own realistic rules (to include recruiting), and implement a true playoff system (8 or more teams)

Jay Bilas tore them a new one -- it was great.

I'm also happy to announce that MBTF is no more. Texas has done away with the website. I still support Mack Brown though.