T-mac will finally make the 2nd round, i can feel it in my bones. the loss

to the mavs hurt like a b*tch, but it is time. Considering they only

got hot in the second half when Mcgrady got settled, i expect them

to be that way from the beginnin this time. i expect them to be top 4

with homecourt advantage, which they will parlay into a first round

victory.

Spursdaone
07-19-2005, 07:36 PM
I feel the rockets will not be any better. They need a shooting guard and Swift is overrated. What has he done?

ducks
07-19-2005, 07:42 PM
what has half the players done in the postseason getting big contracts

Ocotillo
07-19-2005, 07:49 PM
the Rockets will be better next year. Man the west is going to be even more competitive.

leemajors
07-19-2005, 09:45 PM
sometimes just switching teams can do a lot for a player. swift has talent, and he has some great players around him now. even an average player can look great when wide open because 2 of his teammates are constantly doubled.

Sense
07-19-2005, 10:10 PM
It depends on who they face...

totalspurshomer
07-19-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't understand how some people are saying the Rockets won't be much better at all, or even "any" better at all(as stated above). Other than homerism or pure hatred of another team, it doesn't seem to make sense.

The Rockets main negatives last year ended up being:
1. Age.
2. Lack of athleticism.
3. Lack of depth.
4. No PF after Howard went down.
5. No traditional PG.

So far they have chipped away at 1 thru 4 by:
1. Drafted Head who has promise, but may or may not do much this year(if ever).
2. Signed Swift to a relative bargain MLE contract.

While they really have nobody they would trade that would bring a high value guard, they still have some options to upgrade the backcourt this year:
1. Try to upgrade with low cost veteran PG or SG free agents.
2. They have 2 smallish TE's to work with.
3. They have about 5 or 6 expiring contracts this year to use as trade bait between now and the trading deadline.
4. Pick up an amnesty player(probably older).

If they do nothing else but re-sign Deke and Barry, who both have expressed wanting to finish their careers in Houston, they look something like:
C...Yao, Deke, Swift
PF...Swift, Howard, Spoon, Baker
SF...TMac, ???
SG...Wesley, Barry, Head
PG...Sura, James, Head, Moochie, Ward

Obviously the backcourt is messy and TMac needs a backup, but how many here really believe the Rockets will do nothing else between now and the deadline to address these problems? Meantime the frontcourt is set with depth and players that complement each other, plus the three starters(and team anchors) are 25, 25, and 26 years old.

Everybody here saw what JVG did, especially the last half of the season, with role players he had Dawson bring in last year and how he brought focus, purpose, and even defense to a supremely talented, but previously sometimes coasting, TMac. Next to Pop, who would you say has the best chance to bring out that same commitment and tap into the unfulfilled potential of Swift?

Are they likely to win a title next year with this backcourt and no deep playoff pressure experience? Of course not. Are they done building their team? Of course not. But to post on here that they won't be any better next year even if they do nothing else and even if Swift does nothing more than he's done in the past?!? Rather silly to say the least, no? :rolleyes

Extra Stout
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM
52-55 wins for Houston is doable. They'll probably have to beat Dallas in the first round to reach the semis. I don't see anybody else who's going to challenge those two for seeds #4 and #5.

itzsoweezee
07-20-2005, 12:49 PM
C...Yao, Deke, Swift
PF...Swift, Howard, Spoon, Baker
SF...TMac, ???
SG...Wesley, Barry, Head
PG...Sura, James, Head, Moochie, Ward

their main objective this off season (and last off season) should have been getting a point guard. they still don't have one. instead, they have six shooting guards. houston should get rid of wesley, barry, moochie, and ward, and try to somehow pick up earl watson or make a trade some other point guard. until they get a real point, the rockets will always be an abysmal offensive team.

fastestxc
07-20-2005, 02:31 PM
I think that the rockets and mavs will compete for 3rd and 4th best records in western conference, not 4th and 5th. Seattle went down quickly losing their coach and key players

Banks91
07-20-2005, 09:54 PM
both the rockets and mavs cant be in the top 4, because the spurs will be in there, and at least 2 of the 4 spots have to go to the other 2 divisions(the ones spurs,rockets,and mavericks arent in)

Tacker
04-02-2009, 03:57 PM
fail

Indazone
04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks Tacker. For bumping this old as hell thread.

tlongII
04-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Nice bump!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-02-2009, 06:14 PM
This was a pretty epic bump.

Double-Up
04-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Nice bump!

Maybe we should bump a JailBlazer's thread. You guys haven't been relative in years. You're worst than Mavs fans.

IronMexican
04-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Lol, Rockets.