PDA

View Full Version : Screenplay

Dre_7
07-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Well I have been pretty bored lately. And last night I had a dream and I am now "inspired" to write a screenplay. I have never done it before. I did wrtite a lot of short stories, and longer stories, and creative writing pieces in high school, but never in screenplay format. I dont have all the details of the screenplay, but I do have the main plot, characters, etc. So if anyone knows where I can get some info on "how to write a screenplay," or whatever, send the link my way.

Peace.

midgetonadonkey
07-19-2005, 09:13 PM
http://www.scriptologist.com/Magazine/Formatting/formatting.html

http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/artweb/playwriting/screenformat.html

There you go. I took screenplay writing at my university a couple of years back, and it is a lot harder than it seems. Good luck.

Dre_7
07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Yeah it seems hard. But I will how it goes. If it doesnt go well, I will just turn it into a story.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-19-2005, 10:18 PM
It's not hard.

It's a basic formula.

Act I
Act 2
Act 3

You have a protag and then you have a antag.

Act I - introduce the characters.

Act II - Insert the action that will be resolved in act III.

Act III - Resolve the problem.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Also, basic screenplay is 120-150 pages.

Guru of Nothing
Try amazon.com or google.com.

Dre_7
Yeah but I plan on using a lot of flashbacks to childhood and other events. So it will be a lil different than just 3 acts.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2005, 10:23 PM
A tool that will help you with formatting, etc is a script software like MovieMagic or ScriptThing. When people turn in screenplays in Hollywood, they are usually formatted in one of those two softwares (or something very similar).

Jame Gumb
07-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Yeah but I plan on using a lot of flashbacks to childhood and other events. So it will be a lil different than just 3 acts.

Pssssst! it's called Pulp Fiction :smokin

Check with Pooh, that man puts JK Rowlings to shame :lmao

Dre_7
07-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Pssssst! it's called Pulp Fiction :smokin

Check with Pooh, that man puts JK Rowlings to shame :lmao

No not like Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction doesnt use flashbacks. It was just shot out of sequence.

Guru of Nothing
07-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else here imagine Buddy writing a screenplay redux for the Ohio State Trooper film I had to watch in Drivers Ed. with all the graphic death scenes from highway accidents.

Dre_7
07-19-2005, 10:25 PM
And I love Pulp Fiction. It is one of my favorite movies of all time!

Sense
07-19-2005, 10:29 PM
No not like Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction doesnt use flashbacks. It was just shot out of sequence.

Family guy is all flashbacks.

:lol

mugatu
07-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else here imagine Buddy writing a screenplay

he did , it's called a Map , he goes by the name of : Rand Mcnally :lmao

Guru of Nothing
07-19-2005, 10:54 PM
he did , it's called a Map , he goes by the name of : Rand Mcnally :lmao

Hey now, Rand McNally is cool.

I can whip anyone's ass here in U.S. Geography.

scott
07-19-2005, 11:16 PM
It's not hard.

It's a basic formula.

And we wonder why movies these days suck?

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-19-2005, 11:44 PM
And we wonder why movies these days suck?

Movies these day suck because they're all remakes.

By basic formula I mean the three acts.

Movies suck today because writers suck, because writers and directors and Hollywood in general dumbs down their movies because a majority of America has the attention span of a 4 year old.

Look at any great movie like Casablanca or The Godfather and hell, even Star Wars.

They all have an Act I, Act II, Act III.

It's the way the writer and director executed the script and the transformation to screen.

The basic I,II.III formula isn't ruining movies, because it's always been there, it's always been the rule. It's shitty writers and shitting exclusives at big Hollywood studios.

Why do you think most good movies now are either big budget movies where the script is subpar but the acting from the top A-listers saves it or low budget indies from Lions Gate, Fox Searchlight, and whomever.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-19-2005, 11:48 PM

Your script will still be three acts.

The flashbacks are just written into the script.

------------------------------------------------------

INT. DEREK'S HOUSE - BEDROOM - NIGHT (FLASHBACK - 1999)

Derek sits at his desk with a bag of marbles. A LOUD noise is heard from outside his doorway.

DEREK
What the fuck was that?

INT. DEREK'S HOUSE - BEDROOM - DAY (PRESENT)

Karen looks puzzled.

KAREN
And then what happened?

--------------------------------------------------------

Like that.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-19-2005, 11:50 PM
Dre,

The Screenwriter's Bible by David Trottier is the only book you need.

Also, go to http://www.scriptsales.com

Register for their message board.

That site and the pro writers that post there will help you greatly.

But get the book! Trust me.

scott
07-20-2005, 12:58 AM
There are such things as 1, 5 and even 7 act plays. Some of them are, dare we say, great.

Anyway, screenplay writing is like getting a degree online.

Write a novel instead.

scott
07-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Oh yeah, obviously there are talented screenplay writers... but seriously... write a novel and adapt it to a screenplay later if that really scratches your balls the right way.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-20-2005, 02:25 PM
There are such things as 1, 5 and even 7 act plays. Some of them are, dare we say, great.

Anyway, screenplay writing is like getting a degree online.

Write a novel instead.

When were we talking plays?

Screenplays as totally different from stage plays.

The structures are totally different

Dre_7
07-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Well I am just going to write it in novel form at first. Screenplay form is too tough for right now.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Dre, get the screenwriter's bible... trust me. Everything you need to know about writing is in there.

It's three books in one.

Dre_7
07-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Dre, get the screenwriter's bible... trust me. Everything you need to know about writing is in there.

It's three books in one.

Right now I got $38.07 in my bank acount to last me till NEXT weds!!

So I will wait on the book. Got alot of other things I need to take care of before I can get it. About how much is it anyways?

tlongII
07-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Well I am just going to write it in novel form at first. Screenplay form is too tough for right now.

I thought you were "inspired to write a screenplay"? Doesn't sound like your dream was all that inspiring after all...

hunter-thereckoning
07-20-2005, 06:23 PM
i had a dream that i was playing pro football....i dont think it inspires me that much though

midgetonadonkey
07-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Right now I got $38.07 in my bank acount to last me till NEXT weds!!

That's not too bad, I have $0.22 in my account to last me until the 1st.

Dre_7
07-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I thought you were "inspired to write a screenplay"? Doesn't sound like your dream was all that inspiring after all...

Well the story will still be about my dream. I didnt dream about writing a screenplay. I had a dream about a character, and I wanted to get it on paper. So the novel will still be about my dream.

Dre_7
07-20-2005, 06:38 PM
That's not too bad, I have $0.22 in my account to last me until the 1st.

OUCH!

mouse
07-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Pssssssst ! it's called a pawn shop , if you take your VCR make sure you have the remote, :lmao

midgetonadonkey
07-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Pssssssst ! it's called a pawn shop , if you take your VCR make sure you have the remote, :lmao

I don't have a VCR and I'm not willing to get rid of anything else I own.

mouse
07-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Well then I hope you and your Donkey starve to death,

midgetonadonkey
07-20-2005, 10:18 PM
I'll eat the motherfucking donkey before I starve.

Felipe
07-20-2005, 10:24 PM
How bout ju write story bout a mexican man being cook and one day rising to promeenence!

mouse
07-20-2005, 10:36 PM
I'll eat the motherfucking donkey before I starve.

Somehow I can just picture you eating your ass :lmao