PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden Free Agency Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Rev Hill
07-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Assuming this website has no credible sources? Would be a huge surprise if he chooses Pelicans. But either way this Oden saga is getting old.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Greg-Oden-to-Select-Between-Pelicans-and-Heat-Blog-69146

TXstbobcat
07-28-2013, 10:02 PM
I think he's going to south beach.

Hoops Czar
07-28-2013, 10:04 PM
How many Oden treads does their need to be?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Fuck em

Kool Bob Love
07-28-2013, 10:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYoOX9Fd3Fs

Tbiggums47
07-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Assuming this website has no credible sources? Would be a huge surprise if he chooses Pelicans. But either way this Oden saga is getting old. Site is not credible. Why would he leak information to this site?

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Greg-Oden-to-Select-Between-Pelicans-and-Heat-Blog-69146

Marcus Bryant
07-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Spurs aren't hurting at the 5. Could use more shot blocking, but Oden is such a crapshoot. Won't be bummed if he ends up elsewhere.

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Spurs aren't hurting at the 5. Could use more shot blocking, but Oden is such a crapshoot. Won't be bummed if he ends up elsewhere.

True, yet I was kind of hoping he would stay injury free and carry on the DRob, TD torch. Doesn't appear that will happen. Somewhere along the line the Spurs will just have to win another lottery.

ducks
07-28-2013, 10:27 PM
one advantage of not signing with heat or spurs is less coverage and people in both would expect him to help make them a winner

TheGreatYacht
07-28-2013, 10:27 PM
I'll say this again, if Oden chooses the Heat then I hope he tears his ACL's and retires for good. That's right... I'm a Spurs homer.

rick1991
07-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Smokescreen he will chose the Spurs!

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 10:39 PM
I'll say this again, if Oden chooses the Heat then I hope he tears his ACL's and retires for good. That's right... I'm a Spurs homer.

Just a word to the wise, it is really really in bad taste to wish injury on anyone regardless of whether you are a homer or not. It just isn't a very cool classy thing to do especially for a Spurs fan. We leave that for the Mav, Laker, or Heat trolls.
It's a free country, but still ..........

slick'81
07-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Figured he wasn't coming but this season he doesn't really help the spurs anyway

Spursfan092120
07-28-2013, 10:46 PM
I heard somewhere he was thinking he might not want to play for a contender just yet so there's no expectations...let him ease his way back in. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in New Orleans.

Russ
07-28-2013, 10:47 PM

I'm not sure Oden could work up the torque to tear an ACL.

xmas1997
07-28-2013, 10:49 PM
I will be very very surprised if he comes here. I was hopeful, but as usual they never come here.

Ice009
07-28-2013, 11:06 PM
I just don't see how the Spurs wouldn't be the smartest choice for him. Pop will bring him along very slowly, and I don't think anyone here will expect him to win the Championship for us, or make him the scapegoat if we don't win it.

Miami, on the other hand, do need a big man more than we do, so even though they don't need him to play big minutes there, they might very well need a big man to step up in the playoffs to help them win it all again. If Miami lose, it might be because they needed a big man to step up against another team like Indiana or Brooklyn. I think there has got to be much more pressure in Miami for him than here. If he doesn't see that, then he just isn't that smart and he's going for the flashy choice IMO.

td4mvp2k
07-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Just a word to the wise, it is really really in bad taste to wish injury on anyone regardless of whether you are a homer or not. It just isn't a very cool classy thing to do especially for a Spurs fan. We leave that for the Mav, Laker, or Heat trolls.It's a free country, but still ..........hes no spurs fan Hes a trolls fan

SpurPadre
07-28-2013, 11:10 PM

Aren't hurting at the 5?! :lmao
Oh yeah, because Splitter was such a world beater in the Finals and logged heavy minutes each game, huh? Oh and Bonner also must have logged huge minutes in the Finals, too. Oh yeah, we're loaded at the 5. :lol

Look, I don't give a damn about that geriatric-looking cripple Oden. The moment word got out that he would like to play for the Heat, months ago, it was basically set in stone he would pick them or the highest bidder. Kids like him just think they're too cool to sign for the Spurs. That's just how it is with today's players in his generation. But for Spurs fans to create this false illusion that we suddenly have an embarassment of riches at the 5 is beyond hyberbole or blind-homerism, it's flat out absurd.

rick1991
07-28-2013, 11:14 PM
I heard somewhere he was thinking he might not want to play for a contender just yet so there's no expectations...let him ease his way back in. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in New Orleans.

I think the Pelicans will be very formidable this year. A backcourt of Holiday, Evans, and Gordan is very good. Then Davis and Rivers will likely improve from thier underwhelming rookie years. They are a little weak up front with Davis and Ryan Anderson but the addition of Oden helps a ton. Dont be suprised if Pelicans contend next season if they are healthy.

Marrow
07-28-2013, 11:22 PM
good luck to him, hopefully he can still carve out some sort of a career for himself...

It would have been nice to see him on the team...i guess common sense never prevails when the spurs are potential suitors

Onto the next acquisition

rjv
07-28-2013, 11:26 PM
i think it will be the pelicans (money and length of contract)

TheGreatYacht
07-28-2013, 11:26 PM
good luck to him, hopefully he can still carve out some sort of a career for himself...

It would have been nice to see him on the team...i guess common sense never prevails when the spurs are potential suitors

Onto the next acquisitionI wonder if you will be saying the same thing if it turns out that Oden has a healthy season playing for the Heat and ends up being an integral part of why they Heat three peat, especially if the Spurs make it to the NBA finals again. I'd like to hear your reaction then.
Oh yeah, because Splitter was such a world beater in the Finals and logged heavy minutes each game, huh? Oh and Bonner also must have logged huge minutes in the Finals, too. Oh yeah, we're loaded at the 5. :lol

Look, I don't give a damn about that geriatric-looking cripple Oden. The moment word got out that he would like to play for the Heat, months ago, it was basically set in stone he would pick them or the highest bidder. Kids like him just think they're too cool to sign for the Spurs. That's just how it is with today's players in his generation. But for Spurs fans to create this false illusion that we suddenly have an embarassment of riches at the 5 is beyond hyberbole or blind-homerism, it's flat out absurd.I like that.

dallasmaverickslose
07-28-2013, 11:32 PM

Classy! :nope

Marrow
07-28-2013, 11:40 PM
I wonder if you will be saying the same thing if it turns out that Oden has a healthy season playing for the Heat and ends up being an integral part of why they Heat three peat, especially if the Spurs make it to the NBA finals again. I'd like to hear your reaction then.I like that.

the mere fact that the guy was highly touted coming out of college, was selected with the #1 pick and has only played a total of 82 NBA games in 4 years is enough for me to want him to have at least some sort of semblance of a career.

In the end if someone, in this case oden, doesn't want to play for the spurs it is ultimately their choice. I don't wish any ill fate on anyone. These are real people we're talking about and that fact shouldn't be confused with their soulless NBA2k counterparts. If anything his choice is more a reflection of his character and where mindset really is...It would be nice for once to actually see a FA use their brain and choose the spurs over the more so-called "desirable" destinations though

Like I said before, onto the next acquisition

tmtcsc
07-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Even if Oden does play this year, he's not contributing jack squat until he gets in game shape and gets through 3 years of rust. Its really a non-issue right now. He's still young and may be serviceable one day but he isn't, nor has he ever been a difference maker in the NBA. He had one year of college basketball, tons of potential and ability, but his body just hasn't cooperated. How bad has it been and just how much of a long shot is he to make it going forward? Take a look below:

Drafted # 1 2007
2007-2008 Microfracture Surgery - Right Knee (Missed entire 1st season)

2008-2009 - Injured Foot in 1st game (Missed 2 weeks)
2008-2009 - Chipped Knee Cap (Missed 3 weeks)

2009-2010 - 5 weeks into the season, he fractures left knee patella - (Done for year)

2010-2011 - 2 weeks into the season (Microfracture Surgery Left Knee ) - Done for year

2011-2012 - Oden suffers setback in rehab / Arthroscopic Surgery - Right Knee / 2nd Microfracture Surgery on Left Knee (Missed Entire Season)

2012 - Waived by Blazers

Played nearly 82 games from 2007-2012

SpurPadre
07-28-2013, 11:57 PM
I wonder if you will be saying the same thing if it turns out that Oden has a healthy season playing for the Heat and ends up being an integral part of why they Heat three peat, especially if the Spurs make it to the NBA finals again. I'd like to hear your reaction then.I like that.

I mean, sure, we have other areas of need that we should try to shore up, like back up PG and back up SF but getting another Center isn't a bad idea, either. And let me stress, the 5 isn't a strong point for us. We have a solid Splitter but he's one whom we have to limit minutes depending on the matchups and may have to completely abandon altogether in the Finals if need be. How secure should we feel with that? Diaw is solid but he can't spell both TD and Splitter. Pendegraph is still an unknown. But as I've said before, we got until next February's trade deadline to beef this team up and maximize our chances at getting back to the Finals. We got to keep being patient.

Rogue
07-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Signing someone on minimum contract comes with no risk imho, like buying a lottery ticket for a couple of dollars. There's basically no risk at all and the reward would be awesome if he finally lives up to his hype, though the chance is just as small as winning a million bucks from lottery

Chinook
07-29-2013, 12:33 AM

Look, I don't give a damn about that geriatric-looking cripple Oden. The moment word got out that he would like to play for the Heat, months ago, it was basically set in stone he would pick them or the highest bidder. Kids like him just think they're too cool to sign for the Spurs. That's just how it is with today's players in his generation. But for Spurs fans to create this false illusion that we suddenly have an embarassment of riches at the 5 is beyond hyberbole or blind-homerism, it's flat out absurd.

I wasn't aware that Splitter's defense was the reason why the Spurs lost the Finals. Look, we can all be upset with how he played on offense. But to think that Oden's shot-blocking was the missing piece to the ring is completely unfounded. And we have no reason to think that Oden wouldn't "shrivel up" like Splitter did against the Heat's ball pressure. In fact, we have no reason to think Oden will play basketball at even an average level ever again. Even if he comes back, he probably wouldn't be nearly as great of a Bosh defender as Splitter was. He might be okay to get a few minutes behind Duncan, but he would not be able to start next to him.

TheGreatYacht
07-29-2013, 12:43 AM
I wasn't aware that Splitter's defense was the reason why the Spurs lost the Finals. Look, we can all be upset with how he played on offense. But to think that Oden's shot-blocking was the missing piece to the ring is completely unfounded. And we have no reason to think that Oden wouldn't "shrivel up" like Splitter did against the Heat's ball pressure. In fact, we have no reason to think Oden will play basketball at even an average level ever again. Even if he comes back, he probably wouldn't be nearly as great of a Bosh defender as Splitter was. He might be okay to get a few minutes behind Duncan, but he would not be able to start next to him.In other words he's a bigger asset for the Heat than he is for us. If the Spurs pickup Greg Oden it will be fool's gold. If the Heat pickup Oden and he stays healthy then they become dangerous because the we all know that the Heat's biggest weakness is lack of big men.

Chinook
07-29-2013, 12:58 AM
In other words he's a bigger asset for the Heat than he is for us. If the Spurs pickup Greg Oden it will be fool's gold. If the Heat pickup Oden and he stays healthy then they become dangerous because the we all know that the Heat's biggest weakness is lack of big men.

I'd be okay with the Heat using possessions trying to get Oden going against Duncan (one of the best post defenders in the league) rather than giving James the ball. Oden isn't the finisher Anderson is, and while his rebounding would certainly be an asset, his lack of mobility and range would hurt the Heat's offense. Defensively, he could be a plus, but Bosh was extremely underrated in that regard. His D was huge in Game 6.

I agree that Miami could use a legitimate big if only to change things up every once in a while. If Oden could do good work on Hibbert, the Heat would have an even better chance against the Pacers. But I personally think it's going to be too much to ask of Oden to really come in a help a team that has no bigs to carry him. For his sake, the Spurs are definitely the better choice.

SpurPadre
07-29-2013, 01:12 AM
I wasn't aware that Splitter's defense was the reason why the Spurs lost the Finals. Look, we can all be upset with how he played on offense. But to think that Oden's shot-blocking was the missing piece to the ring is completely unfounded. And we have no reason to think that Oden wouldn't "shrivel up" like Splitter did against the Heat's ball pressure. In fact, we have no reason to think Oden will play basketball at even an average level ever again. Even if he comes back, he probably wouldn't be nearly as great of a Bosh defender as Splitter was. He might be okay to get a few minutes behind Duncan, but he would not be able to start next to him.

If you read my post right, which you didn't, you'd see that I haven't been advocating that we get Oden. I just think some of us need to stop with the "we're loaded at the 5" nonsense I've been seeing her lately.

Chinook
07-29-2013, 01:16 AM
If you read my post right, which you didn't, you'd see that I haven't been advocating that we get Oden. I just think some of us need to stop with the "we're loaded at the 5" nonsense I've been seeing her lately.

I read your post just fine. The Spurs ARE fine at the three. Splitter was a fine backup center than pretty much shriveled under pressure. I don't know why anyone thinks bringing in a third-string center should be anything close to a priority. Baynes and Pendergraph are fine enough depth.

Fine. (Dunno why I used it so much in that above paragraph. :lol)

SpurPadre
07-29-2013, 01:21 AM
I read your post just fine. The Spurs ARE fine at the three. Splitter was a fine backup center than pretty much shriveled under pressure. I don't know why anyone thinks bringing in a third-string center should be anything close to a priority. Baynes and Pendergraph are fine enough depth.

Fine. (Dunno why I used it so much in that above paragraph. :lol)

Again, I'm talking about the FIVE not the THREE. And what track record do Baynes and Pendegraph have that indicates they are fine enough for depth or than just being optimistic?

Chinook
07-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Again, I'm talking about the FIVE not the THREE. And what track record do Baynes and Pendegraph have that indicates they are fine enough for depth or than just being optimistic?

That was clearly a typo on my part. I didn't think this was ANOTHER small-forward thread.

And you don't need a track record to be a third-stringer. You just need to be willing to come in for cheap. That fact that both Baynes and Pendergraph have been pros for years is just gravy. Baynes did exactly what third-stringers normally do: He sat on the bench all year long outside of garbage time and did a competent job in limited minutes filling in for an injured player. In addition to Baynes getting more experience, Pendergraph adds range and athleticism to the front-court depth. One of them will be in the rotation, and the other will be a good piece to have in a suit when everyone is healthy.

Worst comes to worst, they're more experienced (and bigger) versions of De Colo and Joseph from last year. I think everyone would have been fine with them fighting for the third-string spot if the Spurs had a point-guard as good as Splitter behind Parker.

The_Coyote
07-29-2013, 03:58 AM
Holy shit his knees are even more fucked up than Blair's.

Bruno
07-29-2013, 04:32 AM
The factor that will decide on how much Spurs need a player like Oden is how to use Splitter:
- One of the many positive lesson that last season tech us is that Splitter being paired with Duncan works damn well. In fact they were the best defensive pair in the whole NBA with only 94.8 points allowed per 100 possessions.
- Splitter was awful at rebounding the ball in the postseason. Diaw and Bonner are bad too in that area.

One idea to improve Spurs frontcourt would be to have Splitter being paired as much as possible with Duncan. When they aren't on the court, they would be replaced by Diaw or Bonner being paired with a strong rebounder like Pendergraph, Baynes or Oden.

32fastest
07-29-2013, 10:53 AM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/greg-oden-suppresses-severe-shooting-pain-all-over,33251/

Lol

Budkin
07-29-2013, 10:57 AM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/greg-oden-suppresses-severe-shooting-pain-all-over,33251/

Lol

:lmao

dbestpro
07-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Does not suprise me in the least. When it comes down to it, it's a matter of the party in New orleans vs the party in Miami. It's why he hated Portland, and why he will not be a Spur. he says he has changed, but a boozer does not go to a town where its booze 24/7.

xmas1997
07-29-2013, 11:35 AM
I knew he wouldn't come here too even though there were those on here saying, "Oden is coming here, book it".
And it's his loss, I fully expect a dismal career from him.

Brazil
07-29-2013, 11:47 AM

Lol

pretty sad

32fastest
07-29-2013, 12:12 PM
pretty sad

You know that's fake right?

superbigtime
07-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Even if Oden does play this year, he's not contributing jack squat until he gets in game shape and gets through 3 years of rust. Its really a non-issue right now. He's still young and may be serviceable one day but he isn't, nor has he ever been a difference maker in the NBA. He had one year of college basketball, tons of potential and ability, but his body just hasn't cooperated. How bad has it been and just how much of a long shot is he to make it going forward? Take a look below:

Drafted # 1 2007
2007-2008 Microfracture Surgery - Right Knee (Missed entire 1st season)

2008-2009 - Injured Foot in 1st game (Missed 2 weeks)
2008-2009 - Chipped Knee Cap (Missed 3 weeks)

2009-2010 - 5 weeks into the season, he fractures left knee patella - (Done for year)

2010-2011 - 2 weeks into the season (Microfracture Surgery Left Knee ) - Done for year

2011-2012 - Oden suffers setback in rehab / Arthroscopic Surgery - Right Knee / 2nd Microfracture Surgery on Left Knee (Missed Entire Season)

2012 - Waived by Blazers

Played nearly 82 games from 2007-2012

This should put things in perspective for people. Healthy and Greg Oden are opposites.

Brazil
07-29-2013, 02:08 PM
You know that's fake right?

Forgot the blue

Spursfan092120
07-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Forgot the blue
No blue necessary when it's The Onion.

Brazil
07-29-2013, 04:56 PM
No blue necessary when it's The Onion.

that's my point

Marcus Bryant
07-29-2013, 06:25 PM

What it is is accurate. What's absurd is the idea that the Spurs have to be two deep with All-Stars at every position.

Or, suck the barrel and pull the trigger already.

jdiggy0424
07-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Can't blame Oden for wanting to go to Miami. Limited minutes ala Birdman, and your playing with the best player in the game? No brainer really

BackHome
07-29-2013, 06:55 PM
He knows this is his last contract he will go for the most $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

SpurPadre
07-29-2013, 10:36 PM
What it is is accurate. What's absurd is the idea that the Spurs have to be two deep with All-Stars at every position.

Or, suck the barrel and pull the trigger already.

Ok, then explain why it's "accurate" (:rollin) especially when TD was basically gassed from the 2nd Half of Game 6 on because of this alleged depth at the 5 that contributed greatly when it mattered the most? Or, why don't you take your homer glasses off and think for once?

therealtruth
07-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Ok, then explain why it's "accurate" (:rollin) especially when TD was basically gassed from the 2nd Half of Game 6 on because of this alleged depth at the 5 that contributed greatly when it mattered the most? Or, why don't you take your homer glasses off and think for once?

Pop created that lack of depth by shortening the rotation too much.

jbspurs
07-30-2013, 08:37 AM
This dude is taking forever to decide.... Hopefully, he doesn't get hurt before he makes up his mind...

xmas1997
07-30-2013, 08:38 AM
This dude is taking forever to decide.... Hopefully, he doesn't get hurt before making up his mind...

:rollin

Indazone
07-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Oden makes Yao look like Ironman

xmas1997
07-30-2013, 05:55 PM
This dude is taking forever to decide.... Hopefully, he doesn't get hurt before making up his mind...

Last week I predicted Friday of this week and it is beginning to look like I am right about that, unfortunately.

Marcus Bryant
07-30-2013, 09:50 PM

So Splitter isn't a top ten player of all time. Good talk.

SpurPadre
07-30-2013, 11:29 PM
So Splitter isn't a top ten player of all time. Good talk.

Yeah, productive talk with a guy who only talks in extremes. Really smart.

xmas1997
07-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Well, now I read on Hoopshype that according to Odens' agent, Mike Conley Sr., he will not make up his mind until this coming weekend, that it is between Miami and five other teams and that the team that offers him the most money is not necessarily the team he chooses, and although Miami can only offer the vet minimum, that also will not determine who he will or will not choose, Miami is not a lock.

Texas_Ranger
07-31-2013, 03:17 PM
make your damn decision already

rjv
07-31-2013, 03:45 PM
dude is acting like high school senior making his commitment announcement.

Buddy Mignon
07-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Just a word to the wise, it is really really in bad taste to wish injury on anyone regardless of whether you are a homer or not. It just isn't a very cool classy thing to do especially for a Spurs fan. We leave that for the Mav, Laker, or Heat trolls.
It's a free country, but still ..........

You didn't leave rape to us. How about fucking teammates wives? Oh... and the cucking? We'll leave that one for you.

Hoops Czar
07-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Well, now I read on Hoopshype that according to Odens' agent, Mike Conley Sr., he will not make up his mind until this coming weekend, that it is between Miami and five other teams and that the team that offers him the most money is not necessarily the team he chooses, and although Miami can only offer the vet minimum, that also will not determine who he will or will not choose, Miami is not a lock.

That's because no team has made a formal offer to him yet. He's still waiting to hear from teams.

Bruno
07-31-2013, 03:52 PM
The article saying that Oden will make his choice only this weekend:
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2013/07/um-battles-looming-dolphins-roster-buzz-umncaa-and-oden-updates-tino-fallout.html

Center Greg Oden probably won’t decide among the Heat and five other teams until this weekend, agent Mike Conley Sr. said Tuesday, adding that formal offers haven’t been made yet. He said the Heat has seen “all it needs to see” from a medical standpoint and that Oden won’t necessarily take the highest offer. But asked if a Heat offer at the $1 million minimum would be good enough, Conley said he was not sure.

I agree it's ridiculous for him to take all that time. For someone claiming wanting a quiet comeback without pressures, he is surely not acting like that by keeping the spotlights on him for weeks while making a choice.

xmas1997
07-31-2013, 03:55 PM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2013/07/um-battles-looming-dolphins-roster-buzz-umncaa-and-oden-updates-tino-fallout.html

I agree it's ridiculous for him to take all that time. For someone claiming wanting a quiet comeback without pressures, he is surely not acting like that by keeping the spotlights on him for weeks while making a choice.

Probably that is what is holding up Blair's decision too.

What are the chances Spurs make him a formal offer?

timtonymanu
07-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah I'm tired of Greg Oden that I don't even care if he doesn't choose the Spurs. LeBron and Dwight didn't take this long. It still won't surprise me if we read a tweet this weekend that he will decide next weekend.

rjv
07-31-2013, 04:12 PM
i think he'll pick ohio state

cd98
07-31-2013, 04:20 PM

Yes and no. It's probably a tough decision to make because every team can sell him on positive things and it makes it hard to decide what is the better situation. Also, it's hard to know if he is the one driving the attention or the bored media. If I was offered a high paying job in five different states, it might be hard to choose. I'd like to take my time if I could, especially when the decision could impact the rest of my career. And people are reporting on this because it's news when news is slow.

Maddog
07-31-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm fine with him taking his time. He's a long shot to make it back to being a contributing player on a regular basis, so he needs to pick carefully. I would think length of contract would be as important as total money. If, IF he can stay healthy it might take two seasons to be back to playing decently. Objectively (alright I'm a little biased) but of the teams rumored to be interested-has the best record of not overplaying their players or rushing them back from injury and also developing their games. If the Spurs are interested, and offer him a reasonable guarantee, they seem like the perfect fit if he wishes to try and make it. Bright lights big city etc. it's Miami.

dbreiden83080
07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
He's had 20 knee operations what exactly does he have left anyway? At best he sits on the Heat bench hoping for a ring..

Chomag
07-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Although I wish he would make his decision now I can understand how hard it might be. Not trying to be biased but I still see the Spurs the best choice for him. Spurs have the best medical staff and a Organisation that chooses a player's health over making money and milking them for Basketball games. He also has the opportunity to slowly work himself back as a back up for Timmy, and possibly becoming more once TD retires. He would also be a fool to pass up an opportunity to work with Timmy and learn from one of the best Bigmen that has ever been in the NBA.

Miami would be a terrible decision for him IMO, Spoo is noted to overplay his players minutes.

Budkin
07-31-2013, 04:52 PM
I have a feeling the Spurs are giving him the hard sell. He'd get to learn from Timmy, it's low risk and potentially high reward, and if he turns out to be decent, he could become one of the focal points of the team.

Marcus Bryant
07-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah, productive talk with a guy who only talks in extremes. Really smart.

You were the one comparing him to a top ten player of all time. I just said the Spurs weren't hurting at that position. And yes, I am.

LakerHater
07-31-2013, 06:02 PM
What are the chances Spurs make him a formal offer?

Interesting, so has any team givin hima offer or is he choosin a team & then they make an offer?

exstatic
07-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Interesting, so has any team givin hima offer or is he choosin a team & then they make an offer?
My guess is he's seein' a whole boatload of minimum offers, and is hoping for more, hence the constantly slipping "deadline".

SpurPadre
07-31-2013, 06:58 PM
You were the one comparing him to a top ten player of all time. I just said the Spurs weren't hurting at that position. And yes, I am.

I wasn't comparing him to a top ten player of all time. If you're as smart as you think you are, then I got news for ya: your reading comprehension stinks.

look_at_g_shred
08-01-2013, 11:33 AM
This dude!! Just hurry up and say that your signing with the Heat.

xmas1997
08-01-2013, 11:37 AM
This dude!! Just hurry up and say that your signing with the Heat.

I agree! We all know that is what will happen. Why he is dragging it out this long beats the hell out of me!

Bruno
08-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Hoops Czar
08-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Drama queen without the drama.

cd98
08-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Not sure if he is being a drama queen or the media that is constantly hounding him to give them an answer on where he is going to sign. It's not like he's asking for a special on ESPN.

look_at_g_shred
08-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Wonder why they still think we are in the mix lol

Hoops Czar
08-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Not sure if he is being a drama queen or the media that is constantly hounding him to give them an answer on where he is going to sign. It's not like he's asking for a special on ESPN.

Drama queen because he knows where he's going not because the media has put him directly into the spotlight. There are at least four teams in the mix that don't belong.

ace3g
08-01-2013, 01:07 PM
He is probably waiting on the Pelicans jersey reveal before making a decision:

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/uniform-unveil

cd98
08-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Drama queen because he knows where he's going not because the media has put him directly into the spotlight. There are at least four teams in the mix that don't belong.

That's merely speculation. I'm sure it's a tough call. Do you take minimum money from Spurs or Heat with a chance for a bigger payday down the road? Or do you go with a team that can offer more guaranteed money in case things don't work out? Do you care about minutes or a title? Do you want a big city that can get you into trouble or a small city that may be boring? So many factors that can have long term effects on your career. It's a tough call. I'm guessing he likes at least 4 or 5 teams and he's done his homework on each team and they have done their homework on him. I'm guessing his announcement has more to do with just making a decision and getting finality than it does creating drama or buzz.

dallasmaverickslose
08-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Assuming this website has no credible sources? Would be a huge surprise if he chooses Pelicans. But either way this Oden saga is getting old.

Can you make a thread title that displays some proper grammar, tbh?

ace3g
08-01-2013, 01:17 PM
So you name your team the Pelicans but the name doesn't appear on either the Home or Away jerseys, lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQmiU3QCQAAnPvw.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQmiNMjCIAI33cb.jpg:large

coachmac87
08-01-2013, 01:46 PM
To me it's coming down to a title or $$. Which is probably why it was reported that it was between Heat or Pelicans....this could be the kids last chance for a NBA contract..so I understand on him taking his time.

What I don't understand is why there are 6 teams being in the mix..Spurs stil make the most sense IMO.

Guess we find out tomorrow

coachmac87
08-01-2013, 01:46 PM
To me it's coming down to a title or $$. Which is probably why it was reported that it was between Heat or Pelicans....this could be the kids last chance for a NBA contract..so I understand on him taking his time.

What I don't understand is why there are 6 teams being in the mix..Spurs stil make the most sense IMO.

Guess we find out tomorrow

timtonymanu
08-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Those road uniforms look like the Pacers road uniforms.

Budkin
08-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Predicting Heat but hoping Spurs.

Tbiggums47
08-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Some of the Post on this thread are confusing to me. Obviously no one knows where Oden will land. I still believe he will choose San Antonio but I we will find out tomorrow......Pick your source...Here another one which says, " The Spurs and Heat are still at the top of the pecking order.http://www.hngn.com/articles/8940/20130730/greg-oden-rumors-expected-sign-soon-heat-spurs-mavericks-contention.htm......" I still think Pop is the ONLY coach who has DEMONSTRATED to the entire NBA that he will choose healthiness over wins. I say he comes to The Spurs!....

AFBlue
08-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Article this morning on ESPN says he'll choose today. they also suggest his top 3 are Miami, SA, and Dallas, not the Pelicans.

Obviously it'll be Sacramento.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 07:41 AM
I just don't think Oden is intelligent enough to choose the Spurs.
And if he does, then I'll be majorly surprised!

kobyz
08-02-2013, 08:03 AM
I just don't think Oden is intelligent enough to choose the Spurs.
And if he does, then I'll be majorly surprised!

If he's intelligent enough he will not choose us, the last thing he needs right now is some more bad lack and bad karma which is the middle name of the spurs...

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 08:08 AM
If he's intelligent enough he will not choose us, the last thing he needs right now is some more bad lack and bad karma which is the middle name of the spurs...

All we ever get from you is pouty whiny BS, your opinion has no credibility.
Go back to school and learn something about life.

kobyz
08-02-2013, 08:13 AM
All we ever get from you is pouty whiny BS, your opinion has no credibility.
Go back to school and learn something about life.

And what we get from you? Something helpful? At least I'm real...

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 08:19 AM
And what we get from you? Something helpful? At least I'm real...

Look, if you're going to contribute something valid to the thread, please put away your toys and say something grown up, ok?

kobyz
08-02-2013, 08:47 AM
You will not decide what is grown up or not, you are shit, I'm more valid than you...

Spur|n|Austin
08-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Article this morning on ESPN says he'll choose today. they also suggest his top 3 are Miami, SA, and Dallas, not the Pelicans.

Obviously it'll be Sacramento.

:lol

Old School 44
08-02-2013, 09:26 AM
I'll be shocked if it's not the Heat. I'm surprised Memphis is never mentioned in the mix for Oden. I know they already have bigs in Gasol/Randolph, but I would think with Mike Conley Jr, his former buckeye teammate at the point, and Conley Sr as his agent, you'd think there would be some interest from both Oden and the Griz.

diego
08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
I cant believe all the panting and moaning over a guy who is a complete bust. Even when he was healthy, oden barely made an impact, and you have to go back to 2008-09 for that. he hasnt played an nba game for over 3 and a half years! honestly, he is not better than baynes at this point. Some people are just obsessed with names.

Same with kirilenko too. A beggars version of kawhi who is just as injury prone as manu despite being 4 years younger, is known to choke and wants 8m+ a year when the team has 25 minutes tops for him in the rotation? yeah, what a tragedy to have missed out on AK...

Kindergarten Cop
08-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I question this site's credibility, but they are "Breaking the News" here:

http://theleaguenews.com/breaking-greg-oden-signs-with-heat/

Ice009
08-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Well, if that is true, Oden is a twit that was never interested in improving his game.

Have fun learning from the great 0 point Bosh.

ace3g
08-02-2013, 09:44 AM
So what time is the Ode-n-cision?

look_at_g_shred
08-02-2013, 09:51 AM

Welp..we all knew it..

Bill_Brasky
08-02-2013, 09:53 AM
If he plays for the Heat that's pretty gay tbh....

Kindergarten Cop
08-02-2013, 09:59 AM

With every passing minute, this is looking less and less like an actual news report and more like a guess (albeit it an extremely likely happening) that this kid can look back and say, "See, I have access to inside sources and I broke the news before anyone else!"

Texas_Ranger
08-02-2013, 10:02 AM
hope no one will be surprised when he chooses the Heat.

loveforthegame
08-02-2013, 10:10 AM
I'll be shocked if he doesn't choose the Heat. All this waiting just for that?

Kindergarten Cop
08-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBAA

Greg Oden has decided to join to New Orleans Pelicans, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

EDIT: I just got trolled. :rollin

I totally thought that it was the real Adrian Wojnarowski. After going to the profile, it's obvious that someone created a fake account. My bad.

Obiwonginobili
08-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBAA

Greg Oden has decided to join to New Orleans Pelicans, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

F'n liar

King
08-02-2013, 10:51 AM
They accidentally put a : in the title.

BREAKING: Greg Oden Signs With Heat

Spur|n|Austin
08-02-2013, 10:52 AM

Who the F is Brian Rzeppa?

Kindergarten Cop
08-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Who the F is Brian Rzeppa?

http://theleaguenews.com/wp-content/uploads/userphoto/29.thumbnail.jpg

About Brian Rzeppa

I'm a sophomore in college and I have a passion for every sport. If you'd like to talk about any sport, either comment on one of my articles, or tweet at me!

monkeypunk
08-02-2013, 10:59 AM

No credibility but a safe damn bet. 95% chance that it'll be true by the end of the day so odds are that he looks like he scooped everyone.

Lincolnkreifels
08-02-2013, 11:00 AM
if his 5 years have done anything for him... it should have humbled him to the point of understanding the value and importance of playing with the spurs rather than the heat.. but we'll see

RD2191
08-02-2013, 11:07 AM
If he plays for the Heat that's pretty gay tbh....

dbestpro
08-02-2013, 11:08 AM
If Oden goes to Dallas, Carlisle will either use him too much or not at all. Good place to go to get paid to do nothing.

If Oden goes to Miami, the nightlife will kill him. He might get a ring, but he will never see a big payday again, and his career is as good as over.

If Oden, goes to San Antonio he actually has a chance to be the Oden that everyone saw coming out of college. Pop is the master of minutes and with Duncan's help they could get Oden back on the right track.

Dancelot
08-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I cant believe all the panting and moaning over a guy who is a complete bust. Even when he was healthy, oden barely made an impact, and you have to go back to 2008-09 for that. he hasnt played an nba game for over 3 and a half years! honestly, he is not better than baynes at this point. Some people are just obsessed with names.

Same with kirilenko too. A beggars version of kawhi who is just as injury prone as manu despite being 4 years younger, is known to choke and wants 8m+ a year when the team has 25 minutes tops for him in the rotation? yeah, what a tragedy to have missed out on AK...

Thank you!

Ice009
08-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Spurs are by far the best choice. Hopefully Greg realizes that.

absoloot66
08-02-2013, 11:14 AM
If Oden goes to Dallas, Carlisle will either use him too much or not at all. Good place to go to get paid to do nothing.

If Oden goes to Miami, the nightlife will kill him. He might get a ring, but he will never see a big payday again, and his career is as good as over.

If Oden, goes to San Antonio he actually has a chance to be the Oden that everyone saw coming out of college. Pop is the master of minutes and with Duncan's help they could get Oden back on the right track.

Makes too much sense...

cd98
08-02-2013, 11:21 AM

Don't get me wrong, if the Spurs think he can play, I hope we can sign him. That said, let's not be too homer about the Spurs. Dallas treats its players right and they do a pretty good job of developing them. They've struck out on a few free agents, but if he went there, he'd get plenty of time. Dallas is a well-run franchise, they are going to be careful with how they use Oden if they get him.

As for Miami, Lebron James can make Oden look better than he is. And Miami would be downright frightening with a big guy that could finish Lebron's oops while also providing elete level rebounding and shot blocking. And if his stats looked good playing with Lebron, which is clearly possible given what he did with the Birdman, then that may be a great spot for him.

I think it's a tough decision. San Antonio is a great place to go as well. He'll be buried in the depth chart here playing behind Duncan, Splitter, Diaw, and maybe Baynes. He'd have an easier path to playing time on the other teams.

bklynspursfan
08-02-2013, 11:27 AM

FromWayDowntown
08-02-2013, 11:30 AM
There's massive upside to being in Miami for Oden, including the assurance that his comeback will be prominently covered and assure that if he succeeds, he will be in line for the greatest off-court opportunities to increase his income to offset the loss he'll take by signing a small deal. Similar success in San Antonio, were he to choose the Spurs, would be less well-known and make him less appealing to potential sponsors.

San Antonio makes perfect sense if it's a purely-basketball decision, since the Spurs already have three reliable bigs, which should ensure that Oden could be in a winning environment with little pressure to carry a significant load (either production-wise or minutes-wise) in the near term. He could also learn at the foot of a purely fundamental player whose wisdom could extend Oden's ability to play even if his athleticism has been significantly compromised.

But we all know he's going to Miami. They always go to Miami.

ace3g
08-02-2013, 11:33 AM
This should be a selling point from Duncan:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/913/516/timmy_original.jpg?1371137782

bklynspursfan
08-02-2013, 11:36 AM
This should be a selling point from Duncan:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/913/516/timmy_original.jpg?1371137782

I think he's already got his own ready to hit the stores, logo and everything.

http://i1.wp.com/o.onionstatic.com/images/22/22984/original/700.hq.jpg?resize=620%2C470

tmtcsc
08-02-2013, 11:38 AM

http://i1.wp.com/o.onionstatic.com/images/22/22984/original/700.hq.jpg?resize=620%2C470

LOL !!! That's funny as hell. Nice job.

ace3g
08-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Don't really like how he is walking, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvNemPo9-_4&feature=player_detailpage

Vash StampedE
08-02-2013, 12:25 PM

LOL at the Oden logo

monkeypunk
08-02-2013, 12:25 PM
They always go to Miami.

Any other outcome from this is wishful thinking.

look_at_g_shred
08-02-2013, 12:41 PM
This dude will drag it out to 11:59 pm

K-State Spur
08-02-2013, 01:09 PM
I cant believe all the panting and moaning over a guy who is a complete bust. Even when he was healthy, oden barely made an impact

Not true, his last season his per 36 was 17 pts, 13 boards, 3.5 blocks. That may not be stardom, but it's a positive impact.

Portland clearly made a mistake not taking Durant, who would have been the best player in that draft regardless. However, if he had stayed healthy, Oden likely would have been one of that draft's 3 best players (and second best lottery pick) after Durant & Gasol (who was still fat at that point).

Obviously whether he's got anything left after missing 3 years and multiple surgeries and can even stay on the court for a full season going forward is pure speculation.

K-State Spur
08-02-2013, 01:15 PM
There's massive upside to being in Miami for Oden, including the assurance that his comeback will be prominently covered and assure that if he succeeds, he will be in line for the greatest off-court opportunities to increase his income to offset the loss he'll take by signing a small deal.

There's more publicity, this is true*. Who is getting amazing offcourt income beyond Wade and Lebron (both of whom got it well before they teamed up)?

Mario Chalmers isn't getting spokesman deals.

*Although Oden's never seemed to love the limelight, at least compared to other 19-20 year olds who are #1 overall picks.

K-State Spur
08-02-2013, 01:20 PM
all that said, i still expect him to pick miami

rayray2k8
08-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Just fucking pick Miami so we can all fucking move on and hope that the spurs fill an actual need.

diego
08-02-2013, 01:58 PM
you mean the season where he played 24mpg in 21 games, the last of which was over 3 and a half years ago?

for 21 games those per 36 numbers are practically meaningless, and in terms of an athlete's career that happened eons ago.

I'd much rather gamble on baynes improving than on oden being able to walk rapidly, let alone run and jump.

K-State Spur
08-02-2013, 02:02 PM
yeah, he played half the game (~ same as Tiago), and had a positive impact in those minutes.

that it was 3.5 years ago was irrelevant to my point (which is only that he had an impact - not a spectacular one - when he was on the floor) - i have more than conceded that it's a crapshoot, at best, as to what he can give you going forward.

spurraider21
08-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Don't really like how he is walking, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvNemPo9-_4&feature=player_detailpage

:lol the heavy hispanic accent asking if he wants to play for the lakers.

but on the serious side, while i'm for taking a flier on oden, what are we actually expecting out of him that we aren't already expecting out of Baynes?

SpurPadre
08-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Ok, time to put this to rest: https://twitter.com/OdenGreg/status/363320669552902144

Sean Cagney
08-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Spurs are by far the best choice. Hopefully Greg realizes that.
You might be right, but he wont! I think he chooses the so called SEXY pick here.
Ok, time to put this to rest: https://twitter.com/OdenGreg/status/363320669552902144

GO FUCKING FIGURE! Like we did not know this. Some always say the Spurs are interested or one of their top choices, but never come.

ernest787
08-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Weird. Is that his twitter? No one else has reported this that I've seen

monkeypunk
08-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Yeah, cause he would make his twitter handle odengreg, lol.

fake account is fake, even though its what the real oden is gonna do anyway...

kjhip1
08-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Fake account!!!

bklynspursfan
08-02-2013, 02:49 PM
That's a fake Oden twitter account.. But likely his decision anyway lol

SpurPadre
08-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Oops, my bad for it being fake...but still, that's where he'll end up.

spurraider21
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
his best bet is to go to a team where he wouldn't be required to play big minutes, but also a team that will make him look good. miami and san antonio are the only teams that come to mind.

bklynspursfan
08-02-2013, 04:30 PM
@AlexKennedyNBA (https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA): It sounds like Greg Oden has made his free agency decision. Announcement coming soon.

Texas_Ranger
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
omg.... I am so exited...... NOT.

boutons_deux
08-02-2013, 04:37 PM
The Decision, Part Deux

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 04:39 PM
If he were coming here we would have heard about it by now.

TheWriter
08-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Why's that? No one's heard anything yet.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Are the Heat getting ready to hold a press conference yet?

bklynspursfan
08-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Sean Cunningham ‏@News10Sean (https://twitter.com/News10Sean)1m (https://twitter.com/News10Sean/status/363414878142218240)
Twice heard the Dallas Mavs were leader to land Greg Oden

Texas_Ranger
08-02-2013, 04:49 PM
So Dallas could have 2 bigs with no knees. Nice.

AFBlue
08-02-2013, 04:50 PM
So Dallas could have 2 bigs with no knees. Nice.

If you classify DeJuan as a "big".

bthewigwam
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM

played ball with him at osu and writes for espn

bthewigwam
08-02-2013, 05:03 PM

monkeypunk
08-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Sean Cunningham ‏@News10Sean (https://twitter.com/News10Sean)1m (https://twitter.com/News10Sean/status/363414878142218240)

If true then he is much much dumber than I thought. Mavs won't be contenders for quite a while with or without him.

He'd be out of the limelight but only because they suck and no one cares about them anymore.

Smh

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Then that must mean it isn't for the vet min because that is pretty much set in stone, isn't it?
All Dallas, Miami, and the Spurs can offer is the vet min if I am not mistaken.
So does that mean N. O.?

Budkin
08-02-2013, 05:10 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/5606/x0gz.jpg

bthewigwam
08-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Then that must mean it isn't for the vet min because that is pretty much set in stone, isn't it?
All Dallas, Miami, and the Spurs can offer is the vet min if I am not mistaken.
So does that mean N. O.?

Before I posted that, I had read it wrong, I thought it said 'waiting on what HIS price tag is' but re-reading it, I think he was jokingly saying 'MY' pricetag. So not sure that's the reasoning.

Kool Bob Love
08-02-2013, 05:17 PM

CubanMustGo
08-02-2013, 05:18 PM
What a fucking drama queen --- one more reason he won't end up here.

rjv
08-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Cuban will act as if the mavs are a shoo-in for the title.

Leetonidas
08-02-2013, 05:20 PM
@SpearsNBA_Yahoo: Free agent center Greg Oden will sign with Dallas Mavericks, source tells Y!

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 05:21 PM
If he were coming here seems like the Spurs would be calling the TV stations for a news conference, yet all is silent from not just local sports, but also national sports networks.

CubanMustGo
08-02-2013, 05:21 PM
@SpearsNBA_Yahoo: Free agent center Greg Oden will sign with Dallas Mavericks, source tells Y!

He and Cubes deserve each other.

siraulo23
08-02-2013, 05:22 PM
oh shit he didnt go miami?

Budkin
08-02-2013, 05:23 PM
:lmao Dallas??

siraulo23
^ fake?? hha

Texas_Ranger
ok, i am surprised it's not Miami. But anyway LOL

peacemaker885
08-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Yeah nothing yet

ColinB
It would have been better if you used his correct twitter handle.

Kool Bob Love

Trollin hard.

xmas1997
How can he go to Dallas, they just signed Blair, didn't they? How on earth do they have enough under the cap to also get Oden?

Leetonidas
08-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Not sure but I saw it on realgm earlier

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40SpearsNBA_Yahoo%3A%20Free%20agent%20ce nter%20Greg%20Oden%20will%20sign%20with%20Dallas%2 0Mavericks%2C%20source%20tells%20Y!&src=typd&mode=realtime

Budkin
08-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Stop posting the fake fucking tweets.

Leetonidas
08-02-2013, 05:26 PM
i dont use twitter or anything so not sure if thats even real just passing along what someone else posted

Kool Bob Love
08-02-2013, 05:27 PM
i dont use twitter or anything so not sure if thats even real just passing along what someone else posted

Well than let the big boys post the real shit you fuckhead.

Leetonidas
08-02-2013, 05:28 PM
ok so yeah it's bs disregard that shit :lol

Leetonidas

shut the fuck up

Budkin
That was a fake Spears account... it's been deleted.

RD2191
08-02-2013, 05:29 PM
We all know he's going to Miami.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 05:30 PM
I say New Orleans.

monkeypunk

shut the fuck up

:ihit

:rollin

Leetonidas
i don't know why you guys are so interested in this, he's not fucking coming here :lol

raybies
Miami.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Why would he choose Dallas over San Antonio or Miami when both can offer him the same money, or even New Orleans who can offer him more money?

RD2191
08-02-2013, 05:35 PM
i don't know why you guys are so interested in this, he's not fucking coming here :lol

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Nothing reported of a pending announcement by the Spurs on our local news so he isn't coming here. Idiot!

Kool Bob Love
08-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Nothing reported of a pending announcement by the Spurs on our local news so he isn't coming here. Idiot!

Relax brah. Meltdown mode in the off-season. Is such a thing even possible?

Lee, Im just busting balls OG. :toast

rjv
08-02-2013, 05:39 PM
not sure what is worse: fake twitter accounts are the rush by some posters to be the first one to post the breaking news on oden

Kool Bob Love
08-02-2013, 05:47 PM
not sure what is worse: fake twitter accounts are the rush by some posters to be the first one to post the breaking news on oden

are

are

are

are

are

rjv
08-02-2013, 05:52 PM
are

are

are

are

are
thanks for the spelling correction. i can never get enough pedantry from my infallible peers.

Bruno
08-02-2013, 05:58 PM
http://sulia.com/channel/miami-heat/f/a27adcd2-8eae-4cab-8aa9-25590ccbc094

I just talked to Mike Conley, agent for Greg Oden. Gave some details on Oden such as when he'll make decision, etc.

--Conley said Oden still plans to be make his decision tonight but nothing is super imminent since he has a call with a team around 6:45 p.m. So the decision could still be a few hours away.

--Conley said the Miami Heat are still very much in the mix.

--Of the six teams that are involved, Conley wouldn't give specifics but said "some he's leaning toward more than others.'' Those teams are Miami, Dallas, San Antonio, Atlanta, New Orleans and Sacramento.

--Asked if Oden told him he'll make his decision tonight, Conley said, "We're talking about it.'' Then reiterated it will get done tonight.

rjv
08-02-2013, 06:03 PM
as an ultimate tribute to the narcissistic tone of this entire parade, oden will send his decision out on twitter with the name of the team he has chosen written on a certain anatomical appendage that has been made public before.

Hoops Czar
08-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Conley is just posturing in the same way Howard's agent did in the final moments before his "decision" went official. Once all the execs have been notified, he'll make the announcement that Greg Oden has decided to take his talents to South Beach. I'm pretty sure Pat Riley isn't sweating this one out.

UZER
08-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Conley trying to send oden east.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Conley is just posturing in the same way Howard's agent did in the final moments before his "decision" went official. Once all the execs have been notified, he'll make the announcement that Greg Oden has decided to take his talents to South Beach. I'm pretty sure Pat Riley isn't sweating this one out.

I tend to agree although I think it will be N. O., but the Miami press has been staying on top of this in the expectation he picks the Heat, that has to count for something because I don't hear of any reports coming out of any other cities, and especially the silence on Oden from the San Antonio sports press community is deafening!

Hoops Czar
08-02-2013, 06:23 PM
I tend to agree although I think it will be N. O., but the Miami press has been staying on top of this in the expectation he picks the Heat, that has to count for something because I don't hear of any reports coming out of any other cities, and especially the silence on Oden from the San Antonio sports press community is deafening!

Depends. Most of the time, the Spurs don't make a splash in the headlines when they sign players. I mean, who here saw the Pendergragh signing coming? I know I was shit faced after hearing the news.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Local news finally said something about Oden, that Miami was the front runner, but no one has heard yet.
Nothing we didn't already know.
If I quit reading posts for the night, I am almost 90% that it is Miami, and 10% N. O. by the time I read again in the morning.
Oh well, so much for the Spurs offseason, it has been pretty anticlimactic so far.
They will probably keep that 15th roster spot open to give various D-leaguers 10 day try outs as per usual.

Roger Freemason Jr.
08-02-2013, 06:56 PM
The thrill of a signing a new player is all well and good, but Oden is done. I'd be severely disappointed if he came out of left field and chose SA. And sad enough, it wouldn't surprise me.

Bruno
08-02-2013, 07:26 PM

32fastest
08-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Dude Wtf already?!?!

Ice009
08-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Man, Spurs are the best choice by far, be smart and pick the Spurs, Greg.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Unfortunately players have to live here for a while in order to appreciate San Antonio, not a lot is known to the average person.

TXstbobcat
08-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Still gonna be Miami.

TXstbobcat
08-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately players have to live here for a while in order to appreciate San Antonio, not a lot is known to the average person.

all that most people outside of Texas know about San Antonio is the alamo.

Ice009
08-02-2013, 07:48 PM
How can you not want to learn from Tim Duncan? Especially when you're not likely to have much of a vertical left after knee injuries.

Hoops Czar
08-02-2013, 07:49 PM
It's probably between Dallas and Miami. Dallas probably made a last second push and now Riley is trying to counter. RC doesn't get in bidding wars. He basically folds like a card table

Spurs Brazil
08-02-2013, 07:50 PM
@GoodmanESPN: Greg Oden will sign with Miami Heat, source told ESPN. Two-year with player option for second year.

Budkin
08-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Well that was anticlimactic.

benefactor
08-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Shocker. Can we move on now?

loveforthegame
08-02-2013, 07:52 PM

What a clown. He knew all along where he was going.

cd98
08-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Miami had more money than Spurs/Mavs...just will have to pay more tax.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 07:54 PM

What a clown. He knew all along where he was going.

I agree, just like AK47 knew all along where he was going.

bklynspursfan
08-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm shocked... Can't believe he chose Miami.

Budkin
08-02-2013, 07:57 PM
@clubtrillion: In past year, Oden changed his mind 3 different times. In the end, he chose Miami. I talked to him about his decision http://t.co/BvDYnYSeK6

Hoops Czar
08-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Don't worry, Spurs have Pendergragh.

benefactor
08-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Don't worry, Spurs have Pendergragh.
He will likely have a better career from here on out than Oden.

Ice009
08-02-2013, 08:02 PM
What a complete twat.

I want to fucking thrash the Heat now, never should have lost to them, pisses me off even more.

Have fun learning big man game from the guy that got schooled by a 37 year old Tim Duncan.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm pissed, but not surprised. No really good players ever choose San Antonio, although it can easily be argued that neither Oden nor Kirilenko could be considered in the "very good" category. But even the mid level players never choose us, unless they are already close to being washed up. Only when the young good ones are drafted here, and lived here, do they choose to stay here.
Why?
We have a great city, one of the best in the USA!
I just don't get it!
But that is why I never get my hopes up whenever the Spurs are linked to any FA!

Sean Cagney
08-02-2013, 08:05 PM
What a complete twat.

I want to fucking thrash the Heat now, never should have lost to them, pisses me off even more.

Have fun learning big man game from the guy that got schooled by a 37 year old Tim Duncan.
He never was going to SA, every FA just uses their name for some reason. Oh well hope he does great there. Sarcasm.

timtonymanu
08-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Omg so shocked. Thankfully the attention whore Oden fiasco is over.

spurraider21
08-02-2013, 08:06 PM
while i'm for taking a flier on oden, what are we actually expecting out of him that we aren't already expecting out of Baynes?

Vic Petro
08-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Sucks but doesn't hurt San Antonio at all. Next!

Budkin
08-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Freaking Splitter could own Oden.

Chief Brody
08-02-2013, 08:08 PM
What a great offseason this has been:lol

look_at_g_shred
08-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Duncan finna go HAM on dis twat

cd98
08-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Great offseason.

rick1991
08-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Fuck the Heat

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 08:14 PM
I'm beginning to hate the Heat more than I ever hated the Lakers and Mavs combined!

timtonymanu
08-02-2013, 08:16 PM
He will likely have a better career from here on out than Oden.

THIS.

siraulo23
08-02-2013, 08:20 PM
now watch greg oden dominate and live up to his number 1 drafted overall expectations :lol

Hoops Czar
08-02-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm pissed, but not surprised. No really good players ever choose San Antonio, although it can easily be argued that neither Oden nor Kirilenko could be considered in the "very good" category. But even the mid level players never choose us, unless they are already close to being washed up. Only when the young good ones are drafted here, and lived here, do they choose to stay here.
Why?
I just don't get it!
But that is why I never get my hopes up whenever the Spurs are linked to any FA!

Part of this falls on the FO's inability to sell San Antonio as a place free agents want to be. The rest of it is mismanagement of cap funds and this non-stop obsession of finding "lightning in a bottle" overseas unproven talent as opposed to signing experienced veterans willing to take less to play for a contender.

I don't think the Spurs were half as interested in Oden as the media made it sound. RC has a lot of good qualities, but free agency isn't one of them.

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Part of this falls on the FO's ability to sell San Antonio as a place free agents want to be. The rest of it is mismanagement of cap funds and this non-stop obsession of finding "lightning in a bottle" overseas unproven talent as opposed to signing experienced veterans willing to take less to play for a contender.

I don't think the Spurs were half as interested in Oden as the media made it sound. RC has a lot of good qualities, but free agency isn't one of them.

True, I'm convinced RC is terrible at free agency!

xmas1997
08-02-2013, 08:34 PM
So if Oden remains injury free and just half way lives up to his potential, how do the Spurs defeat the Heat now?

benefactor
08-02-2013, 08:34 PM

This basically proves he had no intentions of going anywhere but Miami. He would have been the third center in SA.

Chinook
08-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Part of this falls on the FO's ability to sell San Antonio as a place free agents want to be. The rest of it is mismanagement of cap funds and this non-stop obsession of finding "lightning in a bottle" overseas unproven talent as opposed to signing experienced veterans willing to take less to play for a contender.

I agree with the last part, and I've been saying that for weeks.

But signing Oden is the very definition of trying to catch lightening in a bottle. Even factoring in Oden's supposedly high ceiling, the expected rate of return on him is lower (probably significantly) than it is for even Baynes. In general, Burford has played this off-season very conservatively, choosing an established vet like Belinelli over trying to move around players to bring in Evans or Jennings.

My feelings on ring-chasing vets on the Spurs are pretty well documented. But independent of that, I am wondering: Where there any Battiers or Allen's on the market this season? Maybe Kirilenko, but I'm honestly drawing a blank on cheap vet free agents that were snapped up by other contenders. And please don't try to throw Mike Miller in there.

Russ
08-02-2013, 08:35 PM
True, I'm convinced RC is terrible at free agency!

FAs know that they can't dictate to the Spurs (i.e., Pop). They're just one of the guys. That's scary to some.

You're giving up a lot to come to the Spurs -- your last refuge as an NBA star, your security blanket.

Chinook
08-02-2013, 08:37 PM
So if Oden remains injury free and just half way lives up to his potential, how do the Spurs defeat the Heat now?

He still won't be as good as Duncan if the Spurs make it back to the Finals. Playing him will probably mean the Heat go big with Bosh at the four. If that's the case, the Spurs have the advantage still. If Oden were to just come off the bench, then he would probably be PnR'd to death.

Johnny RIngo
08-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Why?
I just don't get it!

AK, at his current level, is still a better player than that TOSB wearing the #20 jersey for the Spurs.

rick1991
08-02-2013, 08:41 PM

We may not be able to in the foreseeable future. If he lives up to his potential the Heat will be an even more difficult team to beat. They buy their talent but maybe Oden and Wade will spend more time in suits with knee issues than on the court. We would have to pickup another legit playmaker or they will have to injured if we are to beat them with a descent Oden

Taking it to the Hole
08-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Not like this was a surprise. Everyone knew he was going to pick Miami where he can hope to ride James coattails to another possible championship. If he gets through the whole 82 game season without injury, then it will be an absolute miracle. Not like we needed Oden. We are not hurting at the 5 and Baynes offers adequate insurance should Splitter go down. I would actually venture to say Baynes will be more productive this year than Oden.

rick1991
08-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Not like this was a surprise. Everyone knew he was going to pick Miami where he can hope to ride James coattails to another possible championship. If he gets through the whole 82 game season without injury, then it will be an absolute miracle. Not like we needed Oden. We are not hurting at the 5 and Baynes offers adequate insurance should Splitter go down. I would actually venture to say Baynes will be more productive this year than Oden.

Just read that Oden might not be ready for the season opener. Dude has been rehabbing for over a year and is still not ready. Hasnt even played 5 on 5. His friend even said he will be lucky to be half the player he used to be. I'm more upset that the Spurs couldn't land a FA target than the fact it was Oden. Its the premise that after Duncan the only way we will get back to being a contender is by drafting great and getting lucky in the draft because we sure as hell not going to attract FAs with RC's passive approach.

bklynspursfan
08-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Anyone think if TD decided to reach out to some of these FA's personally it might make a difference? I mean I respect him for not doing it, and I know that's not his thing. When he was on the fence about going to Orlando, I'm sure D-Rob & Pop were factors in his decision to stay. And again we've done OK for ourselves without needing our star player to help recruit other guys. But just makes you wonder. I hear LeBron was texting Oden about it, and it just made me think.

And I obviously have no clue on the selling points of Pop & RC to some of these guys. But it seems to be a players league now, and guys might respond better hearing from their peers

Hoops Czar
08-02-2013, 09:08 PM
I agree with the last part, and I've been saying that for weeks.

My feelings on ring-chasing vets on the Spurs are pretty well documented. But independent of that, I am wondering: Where there any Battiers or Allen's on the market this season? Maybe Kirilenko, but I'm honestly drawing a blank on cheap vet free agents that were snapped up by other contenders. And please don't try to throw Mike Miller in there.

I think Oden's ceiling is much higher than Baynes. He hasn't shown much yet and if players like him and pendergragh still need a year or two of development, then the Spurs have pretty much screwed the pooch this off season. Relying on players who have never been relied on before is a pretty risky proposition when the post season arrives.

The Spurs should be making a push to sign Mo Williams though, he's the antithesis of the type of player Buford normally goes after. CoJo just hasn't shown enough consistency to be the full time backup to TP.

Chinook
08-02-2013, 09:23 PM
I think Oden's ceiling is much higher than Baynes. He hasn't shown much yet and if players like him and pendergragh still need a year or two of development, then the Spurs have pretty much screwed the pooch this off season. Relying on players who have never been relied on before is a pretty risky proposition when the post season arrives.

The Spurs should be making a push to sign Mo Williams though, he's the antithesis of the type of player Buford normally goes after. CoJo just hasn't shown enough consistency to be the full time backup to TP.

We disagree on Joseph. No reason to go down that hallway again, so we'll just leave it at that.

Oden does have a higher ceiling than Baynes. But because the odds on him reaching his ceiling are so low, his expected rate of return is lower. It's like gambling between a 100-percent chance to make 5 dollars or a one-percent chance to make 400 dollars.

Juggity
08-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Part of this falls on the FO's inability to sell San Antonio as a place free agents want to be.

I mean, what else is there to say. Come join us, we're a team that's at most 2-3 years out from a rebuild and our best players are pushing 40.

Yes, they made the finals, but there's only so much that can be sold at this point in the Tim/Tony/Manu era. Earlier on in the era the big three were all being paid more, which precluded throwing around many huge contracts to lucrative FAs (Richard Jefferson being the recent notable exception). Now they're being paid less, but their careers are close to over so SA is a less attractive destination from a talent standpoint.

There are 30 teams in the league and all of those teams are constantly evaluating talent and looking to bring in the best players. A few franchises have the ability to go way over the cap, but most don't have that ability. Money talks.