PDA

View Full Version : tbh, of the West's top 6

racm
07-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Not counting the Spurs, only the Warriors scare me...

They specialize in taking a lot of bad shots and get away with it. off-the-dribble 3s, pullup 2s, a big in Mo Speights who's one of the best at the long 2, then they added Jermaine O'Neal and Andre Iguodala to attack the basket.

Darkwaters
07-29-2013, 09:04 AM
A logical start would be to tell us who you think the top 6 are. It's not a universal rule of nature.

Me personally:

1) Lakers
2) Timberwolves
3) Suns
4) Jazz
5) Thunder
6) Spurs

I know, I know. Big shocker here. But I definitely think the Thunder and Spurs have lost a step.

Kindergarten Cop
07-29-2013, 09:11 AM
A logical start would be to tell us who you think the top 6 are. It's not a universal rule of nature.

Me personally:

1) Lakers
2) Timberwolves
3) Suns
4) Jazz
5) Thunder
6) Spurs

I know, I know. Big shocker here. But I definitely think the Thunder and Spurs have lost a step.

This list is "top 6" of what exactly? :wtf

K-State Spur
07-29-2013, 09:12 AM

They specialize in taking a lot of bad shots and get away with it. off-the-dribble 3s, pullup 2s, a big in Mo Speights who's one of the best at the long 2, then they added Jermaine O'Neal and Andre Iguodala to attack the basket.

I don't know, I still think the Warriors are very flawed. They're dangerous if they're hitting a ridiculous % from 3 (i.e. games 1 & 2 last year), but that's not sustainable over a 7 game series. I dare say that Thompson will play his entire career and never hit 90% from in a game again (regular or postseason). The guys they did get will help them match up with the Spurs, but also might take them out of the some of things that that gave the Spurs trouble (extended periods of small ball). They're also completely dependent on one of the most fragile players in the NBA.

That doesn't mean that they can't beat the Spurs. But I think if the Spurs hit next postseason a) relatively healthy and b) don't experience significant drop-off out Duncan/Parker, they'll handle GSW again. Now, if either of those exceptions occur - all bets are off for a title anyways so there is no point in worrying about it.

Darkwaters
07-29-2013, 09:15 AM
This list is "top 6" of what exactly? :wtf

Best looking cheerleaders.

What were you talking about?

kobyz
07-29-2013, 09:17 AM
What should be scaring you is the Spurs themselves... Duncan may has nothing left in the tank, you don't know how he will function at 38... The all team after a hard long season and trauma season, tough mentally and phisically to recover from... Front office fucked badly off season, didn't do anything to strengthening the team to be able to get over the hump of all the extra difficulties this rough upcoming season will force us to face, front office only weaken the team.

Kindergarten Cop
07-29-2013, 09:19 AM

:lol :toast

SpurAddict561
07-29-2013, 09:53 AM

lol well played

cd98
07-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Any team with James Harden should scare the Spurs. Also, Thunder will still be good next year. I'd like to think the Spurs will play at the same level next year, but we are betting against Father Time yet again with Tim Duncan (remember Manu's sharp decline this year) and that Tony can still be the best point guard in the NBA into his thirties.

Father Time is why last year was so, so painful.

cd98
07-29-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't know, I still think the Warriors are very flawed. They're dangerous if they're hitting a ridiculous % from 3 (i.e. games 1 & 2 last year), but that's not sustainable over a 7 game series. I dare say that Thompson will play his entire career and never hit 90% from in a game again (regular or postseason). The guys they did get will help them match up with the Spurs, but also might take them out of the some of things that that gave the Spurs trouble (extended periods of small ball). They're also completely dependent on one of the most fragile players in the NBA.

That doesn't mean that they can't beat the Spurs. But I think if the Spurs hit next postseason a) relatively healthy and b) don't experience significant drop-off out Duncan/Parker, they'll handle GSW again. Now, if either of those exceptions occur - all bets are off for a title anyways so there is no point in worrying about it.

I would say the Spurs figured out the Warriors. But for the early turn around after game 3, we would have won that series 4-1. Warriors are overrated. The teams to worry about are the Clippers, the Thunder, and the Rockets (more for Harden than Dwight...we'll have to see how that combo works out).

TXstbobcat
07-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Western conference finals will come down to spurs and the thunder.

Dex
07-29-2013, 11:04 AM

Darkwaters with the time bomb. :tu

tmtcsc
07-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Western conference finals will come down to spurs and the thunder.

I think the Thunder are in deep trouble. Nice 1-2 punch but that's it. I see them as 3rd or 4th in the Conference.

Spurs
Clippers
Grizzlies
Thunder
Golden State
Rockets
Denver
Dallas

dallasmaverickslose
07-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Spurs are the best team in the west. We're the defending western conference champs.

dallasmaverickslose
07-29-2013, 11:18 AM
I think the Thunder in deep trouble. Nice 1-2 punch but that's it. I see them as 3rd or 4th in the Conference.

Spurs
Clippers
Grizzlies
Thunder
Golden State
Rockets
Denver
Dallas

As timvp has said before, trading garden neutered the thunder. And then they lose Martin. The thunder are suddenly thin as paper at SG.

TXstbobcat
07-29-2013, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't bet against Durant with a healthy Westbrook in the playoffs.

dallasmaverickslose
07-29-2013, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't bet against Durant with a healthy Westbrook in the playoffs.

It took James Harden and Serge Ibaka playing the series of their lives for us to lose, tbh.

Robz4000
07-29-2013, 11:38 AM
:lol implying Jermaine O'Neal won't fall apart within a month after leaving Phoenix

TXstbobcat
07-29-2013, 11:39 AM
It took James Harden and Serge Ibaka playing the series of their lives for us to lose, tbh.

I never said they would beat us in the western conference finals. I think that they will get there and loose to the spurs.

CitizenDwayne
07-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Spurs should be the WC favorites going into the season.

- Rockets are the wild card, but I don't think they'll perform as well as expected (kinda like the Lakers last year...)

- Grizzlies/Clippers/Nuggets haven't improved

- Thunder got worse

- Warriors still have a lot of flaws

- Mavericks are a joke

Sure, a lot of things change through the course of a season, but to be worried now is ridiculous.

dallasmaverickslose
07-29-2013, 11:47 AM
I never said they would beat us in the western conference finals. I think that they will get there and loose to the spurs.

I know; what I really meant by that is without them playing lights out, look how the Thunder did against teams like Miami, Houston, and Memphis.

TXstbobcat
07-29-2013, 11:53 AM
I know; what I really meant by that is without them playing lights out, look how the Thunder did against teams like Miami, Houston, and Memphis.

They did beat houston and make it to the 2nd round without their starting point guard.

dallasmaverickslose
07-29-2013, 12:12 PM
They did beat houston and make it to the 2nd round without their starting point guard.

Not having Harden hurt them a lot, though

Sean Cagney
07-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Any team with James Harden should scare the Spurs. Also, Thunder will still be good next year. I'd like to think the Spurs will play at the same level next year, but we are betting against Father Time yet again with Tim Duncan (remember Manu's sharp decline this year) and that Tony can still be the best point guard in the NBA into his thirties.

Father Time is why last year was so, so painful.

Yep..... You hit it right on the head.
Spurs should be the WC favorites going into the season.

- Rockets are the wild card, but I don't think they'll perform as well as expected (kinda like the Lakers last year...)

- Grizzlies/Clippers/Nuggets haven't improved

- Thunder got worse

- Warriors still have a lot of flaws

- Mavericks are a joke

Sure, a lot of things change through the course of a season, but to be worried now is ridiculous.

Clippers did improve, they got a better coach too.

TXstbobcat
07-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Not having Harden hurt them a lot, though

i agree that loosing Harden hurt them a lot. I think they are still a force in the west if Durant and Westbrook stay healthy this year.

dallasmaverickslose
07-29-2013, 12:17 PM
i agree that loosing Harden hurt them a lot. I think they are still a force in the west if Durant and Westbrook stay healthy this year.

Well yeah, I certainly don't doubt that.

Vash StampedE
07-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Spurs are the best team in the west. We're the defending western conference champs.
That, assuming other teams didn't improve or their key players still injured. That won't happen come next season, unfortunately.

CitizenDwayne
07-29-2013, 12:22 PM
:lol Lakers
:lol hardly mentioned in a thread about the top 6 teams in the West

xmas1997
07-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Spurs should be the consensus favorites in the West, but so much depends on health and luck, plus they are older now.

Horse
07-29-2013, 12:54 PM
The Spurs always refocus after tough losses. They lost in the WCF in 12 then came back made and had the finals won before all the bs to end game 6. No reason to think they can't do it again. Also I think Marco will be more consistent and healthy than Neal has been. Kahwi will be better even Green and Tiago should improve.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Warriors are a scary team for anyone, but for some reason I feel a bit better now that Jack left.. even if they brought in AI.

Their shooting is so annoying lol

Strategic
07-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Well yeah, I certainly don't doubt that.I'm not sure anyone has had more high draft picks than the Thunder in the last 4 years. We might be about to see how well they have chosen.

callo1
07-29-2013, 01:57 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree wholeheartedly

Kidd K
07-29-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure if I'd rank them at #1 most dangerous but they're probably up in the top 3 besides us. You still have to give respect to the Thunder and Grizzlies imo, so I will keep them ranked above the Warriors. The Clippers are going to be a bit better this year too. Wouldn't be surprised if they beat the Warriors in a series.

Those are still the top threats besides the Spurs though.

I'd also like to suggest the Rockets as a potentially very dangerous matchup for anyone. I think they will be legitimately scary this next season.

Me personally:

1) Lakers
2) Timberwolves
3) Suns
4) Jazz
5) Thunder
6) Spurs

How in the holy fuck are the Jazz and Suns in your top 6?

The Suns finished in dead last this past season (I even predicted that exactly), and the Jazz are in the worst shape they've been since I started watching basketball in the early 90's.

The Wolves, yeah they might make the playoffs. . .but scary? I don't know about that.

Lakers have also gotten worse, but I honestly have them struggling to be a top 6 team in terms of seeding. If they make it, it will very likely be without HCA in any round. The Rockets are better imo unless Pau resurges to all star status. Even then it's close and I'd still give the edge to them. The fact that you ranked the Spurs dead last of your top 6 when they just barely didn't win the championship last season kind of says it all though, as if putting the worst Jazz team in 25 years up there and the dead last Suns wasn't enough.

No offense with this reply and all dude. Question though, were you drunk or high or super tired when you made that post? I have no idea what basis of logic you used when formulating that list. 3 of your top 4 didn't make the playoffs and the other one got swept and lost arguably their best player and best role player in the offseason after losing one of their best the year before that. Then you ranked the best two teams of the last 2 years as 5 and 6.

Darkwaters
07-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Kidd K,

Read the whole first page. I think it resolves itself within the first 10 posts.

PS: What moron would put the Lakers in their top 6? Let alone number 1. And the Suns...

TheGreatYacht
07-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Don't sleep on the Thunder OP. If the Thunder are all healthy, then they are as much of a thread as the GSW is to the Spurs. Spurs have historically struggled against small ball athletic teams in the post-championship era. If Tim Duncan can keep up his elite defense, if CoJo can solidify his role as a backup PG, and if Marco Belinelli can prove the be a an upgrade to Gary Neal, then the Spurs are the clear favorites in the West imho. I would add health as a factor but health is a factor for every team in the NBA.

wildchild
07-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Which team's doing better in the preseason? Rockets obviously and Warriors with Iguodala's trade Thunder not improved and Clippers added some rol players like Dudley not much more than that

racm
07-29-2013, 03:26 PM

A team with the best point differential in the league shouldn't look so mediocre, though.

spurs10
07-29-2013, 03:32 PM

What were you talking about?:ttiwwp:

Darkwaters
07-29-2013, 03:38 PM
:ttiwwp:

Go Timberwolves!

http://www.handicapperspicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/timberwolvesgirls.jpg

Proxy
07-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Lets wait to judge the Warriors. The changed their makeup enough for me to think their identity won't be the same... not to say they won't be good.

siraulo23
07-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Clips rockets warriors

The_Coyote
07-29-2013, 05:09 PM
I can see the regular season shaking out something like this:

1. Rockets
2. Spurs
3. GSW
4. Thunder
5. Clippers
6. Grizzlies
7. Jazz
8. Nuggets/Pelicans/Lakers

Damn I just realized that the Southwest Division might be the best in the league this year.

spurs10
07-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Go Timberwolves!

http://www.handicapperspicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/timberwolvesgirls.jpgWhat he said! :toast

007nites
07-29-2013, 11:35 PM
What should be scaring you is the Spurs themselves... Duncan may has nothing left in the tank, you don't know how he will function at 38... The all team after a hard long season and trauma season, tough mentally and phisically to recover from... Front office fucked badly off season, didn't do anything to strengthening the team to be able to get over the hump of all the extra difficulties this rough upcoming season will force us to face, front office only weaken the team.

Call me crazy but I think Timmy is going to have a better season then last season. He might even beat out LeBron for MVP.

TXstbobcat
07-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Call me crazy but I think Timmy is going to have a better season then last season. He might even beat out LeBron for MVP.

If Parker stays healthy I think he will compete with Lebron for the MVP award.

therealtruth
07-30-2013, 12:35 AM
If Parker stays healthy I think he will compete with Lebron for the MVP award.

Not really. TP can't do it on both ends like Lebron. When Lebron got serious about stopping him in game 6 he was invisible.

spurs10
07-30-2013, 12:53 AM
Not really. TP can't do it on both ends like Lebron. When Lebron got serious about stopping him in game 6 he was invisible. One foul, one rebound, one travel call and Mr. Invisible's 5 points are Championship winners. Granted he hadn't had a great game, but he kept James on his toes playing on one good leg....That being said and James' ability on both sides of the floor make him tough to beat as MVP.

Arcadian
07-30-2013, 01:17 AM
We're back in the Finals unless some stupid bullshit happens (which one can never rule out, but still).

Is anyone really afraid of Houston? :lol

Darkwaters
07-30-2013, 02:37 AM
The good thing is that while the West looks to only be getting deeper, the top-end talent doesn't seem to be getting that much better. And I'm discounting Houston from that discussion for at least a season. They'll need a season to develop some chemistry, and Howard will have to get all that sand out of his clit.

HI-FI
07-30-2013, 03:05 AM
The good thing is that while the West looks to only be getting deeper, the top-end talent doesn't seem to be getting that much better. And I'm discounting Houston from that discussion for at least a season. They'll need a season to develop some chemistry, and Howard will have to get all that sand out of his clit.

i still think they'll be good though, how good is the question. tbh, they look formidable as shit on paper, but hopefully things don't gel for them.

if there is one thing that has brought me some solace this offseason, is that for the first time in perhaps forever with the NBA, i honestly don't know who will be in the Finals. This might be the first season that has that NFL feel of parity. Every team has flaws. Even the Heat showed they are very beatable, and tbh, I don't feel confident that they make it to their fourth Finals in a row. So the fact every team has flaws, that teams including the Spurs have a chance, is a good feeling.

and agree on those Timberwolves cheerleaders, i always thought that cheerleader that Kevin Garnett was hitting was very bangable.

chazley
07-30-2013, 05:51 AM
Houston isn't gonna be as good as everyone thinks. Harden/Parsons/Dwight is a good core, but the West is really stacked this year. They'll settle in around 48-52 wins, but they don't really have a shot at getting the #1 seed in West. Next to Harden you need a PG who can play above average defense, hit spot up threes at a high clip, and handle the ball well enough to give Harden a rest. Jeremy Lin is a fantastic pick-n-roll player... and that's about it. If you build a team around Lin I like his potential (his monster game against us last season when Harden sat out is an example), but that isn't gonna happen on this Rockets team. Harden likes to sit 10 feet behind the 3-pt line and play with his beard until someone gives him the ball. Lin sucks off the ball. Bad combo. This Houston team is gonna give up gobs of points and probably score at a worse clip. Dwight is a mega-upgrade over Omer Asik offensively, but Omer didn't use offensive possessions, and Dwight demands the ball. Houston badly needs to trade Asik and get something back. Lin isn't going anywhere cause he was a major part of Houston's pitch to expand Dwight's endorsement opportunities to Asian countries, particularly China.