PDA

View Full Version : Bowen's Offseason Hardly a Vacation

Solid D
07-20-2005, 05:34 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/dflores/stories/MYSA072005.1C.COL.BKNflores.1eed414.html

David Flores: Bowen's offseason hardly a vacation
Web Posted: 07/20/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Spurs forward Bruce Bowen resolved early in his pro career to be in outstanding physical condition at the start of training camp each season.

After nine years in the NBA, including the past four with the Spurs, Bowen remains committed to that goal.

"When I started playing pro ball, I wanted to make sure that if I got cut, it wasn't going to be because I was out of shape," Bowen said Tuesday while signing autographs at the H-E-B store at Blanco and Loop 1604. "Your physical conditioning is one thing you have control over."

Bowen is one of the league's best defensive players because he prepares himself — mentally and physically — in the offseason. He has instinctive defensive skills, all right, but his work ethic and tenacity are what set him apart from more talented players.

Bowen's relentless, toe-to-toe defense is grounded in a mental toughness and confidence that reflect the work he puts in during the offseason.

"He's all about business," said Bay Bay McClinton, who helps with the Spurs' strength and conditioning.

To wit: Bowen started preparing for next season less than a month after the Spurs wrapped up their third NBA title in seven years.

He started jogging in his Miami neighborhood about a week ago and gradually will increase the intensity of the workouts.

"This is a great time for me, and I'm enjoying myself," said Bowen, who lives in Miami in the offseason but plans to settle in San Antonio when he retires. "You have to give yourself some time to heal and recover from the long season.

"But once you do that, it's important that you work to maintain your physical conditioning and stay sharp. You don't want to get too out of shape."

When he isn't running or working on his shooting, Bowen does push-ups and other exercises to strengthen the core of his body.

"In the month of September, I do different things to start getting ready for training camp — lifting weights, shooting the ball and running," he said. "I'll do those things twice a day."

Bowen, 34, who signed with the Spurs as a free agent in July 2001, has made the All-NBA defensive team each of the past five years, including the first unit this season and in 2004. Bowen was runner-up to Detroit's Ben Wallace in the balloting for Defensive Player of the Year this season.

Not bad for a guy who wasn't drafted after completing his four-year career at Cal State Fullerton in 1993. Bowen played in Europe and the CBA before playing in one game — yes, one game — with the Miami Heat in March 1997.

Bowen had stints with the Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers before returning to Miami in 2000. The Spurs went after him for his defensive prowess — and he has rewarded them nicely.

Bowen leaves no doubt about the pride he takes in his defense.

"Defense is the cornerstone of our team," Bowen said. "If you're not going to play defense, you're not going to be on the floor."

The Spurs may not have the best talent in the league — but they have the best team. And that's all that matters.

"Everybody can't play for the Spurs, and that's been proven," Bowen said. "We require a selflessness at times that not everybody can accept. Certain people can't work for certain companies. That selflessness, I think, makes us who we are."

That team-first attitude has made the Spurs a model franchise, the New England Patriots of the NBA.

"If my team wins, we all win," Bowen said. "If you take care of what you're supposed to take care of, things will work out.

"But if you worry about money first and championship second, you're not going to win one."

Bowen smiled for photos and chatted with fans as he signed autographs Tuesday.

"This is a testament to who they are and what they're about," Bowen said. "I really appreciate that I can do this because it gives me a chance to show the fans what they've meant to our team."

Bowen's offseason is no vacation, but he finds a way to make the most of it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

TheTruth
07-20-2005, 05:37 AM
Bowen is climbing up my list of all time fav spurs.

DesiSpur_21
07-20-2005, 06:14 AM
The guy is awesome.

After all the stops across the world he had, may be this was the place for him - luckily, it worked out great for him, Spurs and the city.

Also him planning to settle in San Anotnio is a great news. I think he had said somewhere that he plans to be in coaching when he retires..

Spurologist
07-20-2005, 06:30 AM
"But once you do that, it's important that you work to maintain your physical conditioning and stay sharp. You don't want to get too out of shape."

There's a shawn Kemp joke in there somewhere. hmmmmmm. Wonder what it is.

Duncanoypi
07-20-2005, 06:35 AM
What a great guy Bowen is...! a classy one...

You really belong to Spurs dude!...

TheTruth
07-20-2005, 06:37 AM
There's a shawn Kemp joke in there somewhere. hmmmmmm. Wonder what it is.
Kemp IS the Joke.

rwb
07-20-2005, 07:29 AM
My respect for Bruce grows and grows. Sure glad he's a Spur!

spurster
07-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Worst starting SF in the NBA.

travis2
07-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Worst starting SF in the NBA.

And let's not forget the new-school clone...

He's old! He's washed up! Trade him now!

SWC Bonfire
07-20-2005, 08:37 AM
I wonder why he lives in Miami, but is going to move to SA AFTER he retires? :wtf

1Parker1
07-20-2005, 08:59 AM
I wonder why he lives in Miami, but is going to move to SA AFTER he retires? :wtf

Family? Great vacationing place/weather? :)

Mr. Body
07-20-2005, 09:04 AM
I wonder why he lives in Miami, but is going to move to SA AFTER he retires?

Probably to clear his head / get some peace and quiet / get some room for himself.

I can't blame the guy. When he retires, he won't need those things anymore, so will go San Antonio full-time.

Spurologist
07-20-2005, 09:08 AM
He played in Miami and probably got a house then and decided to keep it. That's my best guess other than weather, sites....

usckk
07-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Bowen is an awesome speaker. I guess that's why he lead the championship ceremony at the alamo dome.

kskonn
07-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Who wouldn't want to spend the summers in Miami, besides the hurricanes it is a great place.

BruceBowenFan
07-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Bowen is my Favorite Player