PDA

View Full Version : ryan richards to play in dubai

playblair
07-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Samr.
07-31-2013, 12:03 PM
I'd love to just VISIT Dubai, never mind get paid to play basketball there (though I'd love to get paid to play basketball anywhere).

Someone just better remind Ryan that it's a crime to have sex outside of marriage down there.

rjv
07-31-2013, 12:14 PM
I'd love to just VISIT Dubai, never mind get paid to play basketball there (though I'd love to get paid to play basketball anywhere).

Someone just better remind Ryan that it's a crime to have sex outside of marriage down there. or to get raped, apparently.

SpurSpurSpurs
07-31-2013, 12:31 PM
He must grow his beard and mustache longer

Kingsly Alexander
07-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Time to forget about this kid. No wasting time thinking off wether he has motivational problems or what have you. If you go to Dubai to play basketball it sure as hell isn't for the competition but more then likely for money

spurraider21
07-31-2013, 01:30 PM
lost cause. wasting his talent

jyra
07-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Who would have thought that it is possible to land in a more obscure place than the Austrian league. I'm surprised that last game in the summer league didn't get him a contract with an European team.

Darius Bieber
07-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Hmm, I would have guessed your new team would be the Dallas Mavs and not the Bucks, playblair..

TheGreatYacht
07-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Good. Hopefully Dexter Pittman and Hollis Thompson will get an invite to summer camp. Both dudes played good defense in the SL.

DapDaGenius
07-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Hmm, I would have guessed your new team would be the Dallas Mavs and not the Bucks, playblair..

For playblair, it always said his team was the bucks. Which makes me wonder why the heck is he here...

cd021
07-31-2013, 03:49 PM
Next off season, we could have as much as 6 open roster spots. If its a 1 year deal, maybe he can be brought over and play a season in the D league. He'd only be 24.

tenbeersbold
07-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Dubai... proof that white folks got nuthin on Arabs as far as slaving goes

Texas_Ranger
07-31-2013, 05:32 PM
now there he'll get much better....

PlayNando
07-31-2013, 06:35 PM
LMAO at this scrub, tbh, per par.

exstatic
07-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Time to forget about this kid. No wasting time thinking off wether he has motivational problems or what have you. If you go to Dubai to play basketball it sure as hell isn't for the competition but more then likely for money

That time was 2-3 years ago.

tesseractive
07-31-2013, 07:36 PM
That time was 2-3 years ago.
True story.

DJR210
07-31-2013, 08:19 PM
A Richards thread from playblair???

WTF is this world coming to.

Has Richards had any 30/20 games in Dubai yet??

Chinook
08-01-2013, 12:15 AM
I don't know why people see this as a bad thing. Richards didn't force his way onto the roster. I was concerned that he would try that after he got a little momentum from his most-recent game. For a guy who's been chomping at the bit to come over, he should some maturity, which is probably his biggest mental flaw right now. And if the guy wants to play in the UAE for a year as opposed to Austria, I'm not going to hold it against him. If I had the choice, I'd probably pick somewhere where I could enjoy myself as well.

We'll see how this speaks to his basketball future, though. I imagine that he and the Spurs still have a decent relationship, since they brought him over for the summer league and he didn't try to force a contract. It's possible both sides agreed Dubai was the best place for him to play next season. You'd think he'd have some interest from bigger teams after his "breakout" game. Perhaps his basketball situation is better than I believe it is now.

DrSteffo
08-01-2013, 04:21 AM
LOL at Ryan Richards trying to force anything.

Obstructed_View
08-01-2013, 04:52 AM

I have to admit that line made me laugh as well. Force requires effort.

exstatic
08-01-2013, 06:26 AM
I don't know why people see this as a bad thing. Richards didn't force his way onto the roster. I was concerned that he would try that after he got a little momentum from his most-recent game. For a guy who's been chomping at the bit to come over, he should some maturity, which is probably his biggest mental flaw right now. And if the guy wants to play in the UAE for a year as opposed to Austria, I'm not going to hold it against him. If I had the choice, I'd probably pick somewhere where I could enjoy myself as well.

We'll see how this speaks to his basketball future, though. I imagine that he and the Spurs still have a decent relationship, since they brought him over for the summer league and he didn't try to force a contract. It's possible both sides agreed Dubai was the best place for him to play next season. You'd think he'd have some interest from bigger teams after his "breakout" game. Perhaps his basketball situation is better than I believe it is now.

Summer league is a show case, and not just for the NBA. While the Spurs almost always try to help out former draftees, I'm sure they also told him he had zero chance to make the roster. He was only there to get his next gig overseas.

Spursfanfromafar
08-01-2013, 07:58 AM

I like what you write sometimes, Chinook, but sometimes you sound so terrible in your takes.

You think the Spurs "agreed" that DUBAI was the "best place for him"? Any self-respecting NBA team would balk at a prospect going to play in a league that is 10,000 leagues under the sea in quality. How does it prepare Ryan Richards for anything in the NBA? Utterly crazy.

The reason Richards is globe trotting and falling down level by level every year in his basketball career is that he is just not good enough or even "bad" enough, he is basically worse than every "before".

Chinook
08-01-2013, 11:03 AM
I like what you write sometimes, Chinook, but sometimes you sound so terrible in your takes.

You think the Spurs "agreed" that DUBAI was the "best place for him"? Any self-respecting NBA team would balk at a prospect going to play in a league that is 10,000 leagues under the sea in quality. How does it prepare Ryan Richards for anything in the NBA? Utterly crazy.

The reason Richards is globe trotting and falling down level by level every year in his basketball career is that he is just not good enough or even "bad" enough, he is basically worse than every "before".

You and I disagree on Richards. I recall that you were pretty condescending to me in your previous view that Richards could not have dominant games at even the summer-league level because he had no basketball talent. Then, he scores 18 points in 15 minutes the very next game, and you pretend like that it doesn't matter.

I never said that he wasn't getting into worse leagues or even just getting worse every year. I do think his stock is the highest it has been since at least before last season. That he didn't at least begin at the level he did last year indicates that he probably chose to play in Dubai over playing in harder leagues for some reason. It could be because he's too mentally weak for harder competition, and the Spurs just want to see if he can stick with a team for a full year now. But don't mistake my offering that there could be an agreement between the Spurs and Richards on Dubai as me endorsing the decision for basketball reasons. I said in the post you quoted that I didn't think it was a good league.

If he chose money over competitive level as was suggested earlier in the thread, then I don't blame him, as he really has no guarantee he'd ever get to the NBA to make back the money. And if he went just for the experience for living in the UAE, I said I understand. If I could be paid to play basketball for a few months in one of the greatest cities in the world, I'd consider going for it as well. If he chose Dubai because literally no one could better would take him, then that's distressing for his future.

Chinook
08-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Summer league is a show case, and not just for the NBA. While the Spurs almost always try to help out former draftees, I'm sure they also told him he had zero chance to make the roster. He was only there to get his next gig overseas.

Sure, but they almost certainly told McClinton that, too. That doesn't have to stop Richards from signing a tender and allowing himself to piddle around in the d-league for a few years. You'd think that he'd've gotten a slightly better gig overseas than Dubai, but I guess not.

If the Spurs have really given up on him, then he should force their hand. He may suck as badly as a lot of you guys say he does, but he'd get a couple of 10-days this season, which would probably end up paying him as much as he'd get in the low-quality leagues he's slated to play in. He at least has decent tape in the US now, and teams will give him at least a couple of chances.

Spursfanfromafar
08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
You and I disagree on Richards. I recall that you were pretty condescending to me in your previous view that Richards could not have dominant games at even the summer-league level because he had no basketball talent. Then, he scores 18 points in 15 minutes the very next game, and you pretend like that it doesn't matter.

I never said that he wasn't getting into worse leagues or even just getting worse every year. I do think his stock is the highest it has been since at least before last season. That he didn't at least begin at the level he did last year indicates that he probably chose to play in Dubai over playing in harder leagues for some reason. It could be because he's too mentally weak for harder competition, and the Spurs just want to see if he can stick with a team for a full year now. But don't mistake my offering that there could be an agreement between the Spurs and Richards on Dubai as me endorsing the decision for basketball reasons. I said in the post you quoted that I didn't think it was a good league.

If he chose money over competitive level as was suggested earlier in the thread, then I don't blame him, as he really has no guarantee he'd ever get to the NBA to make back the money. And if he went just for the experience for living in the UAE, I said I understand. If I could be paid to play basketball for a few months in one of the greatest cities in the world, I'd consider going for it as well. If he chose Dubai because literally no one could better would take him, then that's distressing for his future.

I never want or mean to sound condescending to you personally. Perhaps, I am condescending of your views, sometimes, but I think they deserve it in the case of Ryan Richards. You say that a 18 point explosion in 15 minutes in a dead rubber against a summer league squad is a testament of some prowess in Richards. The sum & substance of Ryan Richards' career is that he is nowhere close to being a NBA player, a random outburst in a dead rubber apart. And that every season, he regresses enough to be good enough to compete at lower and lower levels.

Your justification of that is ridiculous. There is nothing understandable in a player who wants to play in the NBA to continue to regress and seek lower and lower leagues for a mythical redemption of any kind.

Bruno
08-01-2013, 12:22 PM
It's kinda sad to see Richards picking short term money over trying to improve as a basketball player.

Chinook
08-01-2013, 12:28 PM
I never want or mean to sound condescending to you personally. Perhaps, I am condescending of your views, sometimes, but I think they deserve it in the case of Ryan Richards. You say that a 18 point explosion in 15 minutes in a dead rubber against a summer league squad is a testament of some prowess in Richards. The sum & substance of Ryan Richards' career is that he is nowhere close to being a NBA player, a random outburst in a dead rubber apart. And that every season, he regresses enough to be good enough to compete at lower and lower levels.

Your justification of that is ridiculous. There is nothing understandable in a player who wants to play in the NBA to continue to regress and seek lower and lower leagues for a mythical redemption of any kind.

I never said that. I've described him as "rotting overseas" on several occasions. I've also been very clear in that I think it's his fault he's regressing. You act like I'm blaming the Spurs for Richards becoming worse every year. I'm not.

We don't disagree that Richards hasn't shown the intangibles that would indicate that he has any future in the NBA. We do disagree on whether he has the raw talent to succeed. You said that my take was horrible, because if Richards has any real basketball talent, he'd have games where he exploded against lower-level competition. That's exactly what happened in the final summer-league game. He definitely displayed his above-average handles, his good shooting form, and his already-decent post game. Those are skills that I said he has when you originally called my take "pseudo-intellectual bullshit".

So I don't really think he has a great chance to be an NBA player. But I think any chance of him doing so involves him getting into the league as soon as possible. If the Spurs want anything from their investment, then I feel they need to get him into their system before it's too late.

Spursfanfromafar
08-01-2013, 01:11 PM
I never said that. I've described him as "rotting overseas" on several occasions. I've also been very clear in that I think it's his fault he's regressing. You act like I'm blaming the Spurs for Richards becoming worse every year. I'm not.

We don't disagree that Richards hasn't shown the intangibles that would indicate that he has any future in the NBA. We do disagree on whether he has the raw talent to succeed. You said that my take was horrible, because if Richards has any real basketball talent, he'd have games where he exploded against lower-level competition. That's exactly what happened in the final summer-league game. He definitely displayed his above-average handles, his good shooting form, and his already-decent post game. Those are skills that I said he has when you originally called my take "pseudo-intellectual bullshit".

So I don't really think he has a great chance to be an NBA player. But I think any chance of him doing so involves him getting into the league as soon as possible. If the Spurs want anything from their investment, then I feel they need to get him into their system before it's too late.

So, if the only thing we disagree is that you think he has talent and I don't and your evidence for it is a 18 point outburst in the fag end of a summer league and in a dead rubber.. I think there is no reason to revise my opinion of your takes on Richards based on your defense of his purported talent.

Chinook
08-01-2013, 01:27 PM
So, if the only thing we disagree is that you think he has talent and I don't and your evidence for it is a 18 point outburst in the fag end of a summer league and in a dead rubber.. I think there is no reason to revise my opinion of your takes on Richards based on your defense of his purported talent.

The main point of your previous critique was that if Richards had talent, he would have had games where he flashed against lesser competition. That's exactly what happened in the summer-league game. I totally understand why you don't think he'll make it in the NBA, but since he met your own benchmark for showing he had talent, I don't understand why you refuse to acknowledge that you were mistaken in that regard. That's especially true, since most of the shots he made are ones he'd get in the NBA, such as his three-pointers and turn-around fade-aways.

I think Richards could score in the NBA right now. The only baskets that would not have worked were the ones where he kept barreling into his man. And the layup he missed is one he'd have open the majority of the time, especially in the Spurs' offense where the center catches the ball there after he crosses half-court. However, I don't think he understands the game well enough to get into the necessary positions to get the ball, and that very well may not be fixable. He also seems extremely self-centered, which affects his ability and desire to play the game in a team context. He definitely seems like d-league caliber to me, about where Joseph was as a rookie. He's more talented than Joseph, but he definitely doesn't have his work ethic. Honestly, I think Richards should have tried to enroll in a university for a couple of seasons rather than declaring at 19. He could have just been coming out of school right now, and I'm sure he'd have been better off.

Raven
08-01-2013, 01:32 PM

kind of agree

Drom John
08-01-2013, 01:58 PM
UAE League has 12 "Import Players." Richards is not listed.

Chris Burgess, Duke, transferred to Utah (2002), invited to Suns training camp in 2002 & 2003. Has attended four summer leagues 2002 to 2007.

Jordan Collins, North Carolina State (2005)

Jermaine Dailey, University of Illinois-Chicago (2008)

Courtney Fields, Iona (2003)

LeRoy Hurd, UTSA (2004)

Vincent Jones, Jackson State (2000)

Chaucey Leslie, Iowa (2003)

Joseph Taylor, Wyoming (2008)

Terrence Townsend, no college, basketball workout friend with Paul George, has played in the Drew League.

Tiras Wade, Louisiana-Lafayette (2005), 2007 D-League

Non U.S. Imports

Bruno Sundov, drafted 35th 1998 by Mavericks

Cheikh Samb, drafted #51 2005 by the Lakers. D-League, 118 minutes in NBA 2007-8, 2008-9 for Pistons, Nuggets, Clippers, Knicks (only the last on a 10-day contract). Was part of a big name trade: November 3, 2008: Traded by the Detroit Pistons with Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess to the Denver Nuggets for Allen Iverson

Generally older drifters, two former D-Leaguers, two former draft picks and one NBA training camp invite (with one duplicate). Not a stellar group, but not horrible.

Drom John
08-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Austrian League.
No U.S. players.

Canadians:

Corey Hallett, Monmouth 2007

Matthew Rachar, U of B.C. 2004?

Ashton Smith, Indiana PA, 2012

UAE seems to have better pedigrees.
Austrian has youth.

Spursfanfromafar
08-01-2013, 09:13 PM
The main point of your previous critique was that if Richards had talent, he would have had games where he flashed against lesser competition. That's exactly what happened in the summer-league game. I totally understand why you don't think he'll make it in the NBA, but since he met your own benchmark for showing he had talent, I don't understand why you refuse to acknowledge that you were mistaken in that regard. That's especially true, since most of the shots he made are ones he'd get in the NBA, such as his three-pointers and turn-around fade-aways.

I think Richards could score in the NBA right now. The only baskets that would not have worked were the ones where he kept barreling into his man. And the layup he missed is one he'd have open the majority of the time, especially in the Spurs' offense where the center catches the ball there after he crosses half-court. However, I don't think he understands the game well enough to get into the necessary positions to get the ball, and that very well may not be fixable. He also seems extremely self-centered, which affects his ability and desire to play the game in a team context. He definitely seems like d-league caliber to me, about where Joseph was as a rookie. He's more talented than Joseph, but he definitely doesn't have his work ethic. Honestly, I think Richards should have tried to enroll in a university for a couple of seasons rather than declaring at 19. He could have just been coming out of school right now, and I'm sure he'd have been better off.

I never said that Ryan Richards has enough talent. In fact I have been saying that his talent is not even sufficient at the lower leagues and his performances all along bear him out on that respect.

In your case, you cherry pick a random game (a dead rubber against a poor Summer League team, a random performance here in Switzerland or in Austria and looks like you will now be scouring the depths of Dubai for your purposes as well) to suggest that he has talent.

As of now, all he seems to have is the looks of a basketball player and some streaks of ability. Talent, na. Performance, nada. Attitude, poor. Desire and Ambition, Nil. A wasted asset, in my opinion.

RD2191
08-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I never said that Ryan Richards has enough talent. In fact I have been saying that his talent is not even sufficient at the lower leagues and his performances all along bear him out on that respect.

In your case, you cherry pick a random game (a dead rubber against a poor Summer League team, a random performance here in Switzerland or in Austria and looks like you will now be scouring the depths of Dubai for your purposes as well) to suggest that he has talent.

As of now, all he seems to have is the looks of a basketball player and some streaks of ability. Talent, na. Performance, nada. Attitude, poor. Desire and Ambition, Nil. A wasted asset, in my opinion.
:lol Crack is bad.

Chinook
08-01-2013, 09:47 PM

I don't know what your definition of talent is. It's not the same thing as production, and you seem to be conflating the two. To say that he doesn't show good shooting form and good handles for a big is just not true. To say that he doesn't have great (especially if the reports of him being seven feet barefoot are accurate) and above-average mobility for a center is also not true. He has plenty of talent. What he doesn't have are intangibles. Almost every specific critique you have for Richards (and there really haven't been many) falls into that category (work ethic, basketball IQ, attitude).

So if you were arguing that he lacks the mental makeup to do what he needs to do to succeed, I'd be sympathetic. But instead, you're suggesting that he lacks physical tools, and I just can't agree there. Physically, he has what it takes to be an NBA player. But mentally, he's a long shot.

Bill_Brasky
08-01-2013, 10:03 PM

So a 7 footer having handles and draining 3's isn't talented? OK. There's maybe 20 7 footers in the WORLD that have the coordination Richards does. That's huge.

Spursfanfromafar
08-01-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't know what your definition of talent is. It's not the same thing as production, and you seem to be conflating the two. To say that he doesn't show good shooting form and good handles for a big is just not true. To say that he doesn't have great (especially if the reports of him being seven feet barefoot are accurate) and above-average mobility for a center is also not true. He has plenty of talent. What he doesn't have are intangibles. Almost every specific critique you have for Richards (and there really haven't been many) falls into that category (work ethic, basketball IQ, attitude).

So if you were arguing that he lacks the mental makeup to do what he needs to do to succeed, I'd be sympathetic. But instead, you're suggesting that he lacks physical tools, and I just can't agree there. Physically, he has what it takes to be an NBA player. But mentally, he's a long shot.

So you are saying that physical tools = constituting talent?

No. I would include all of that - basketball IQ, instinct, basketball ability - posting up, scoring, passing, all at an acceptable level as talent. From what we have seen so far, Richards has little of it to *sustain himself against decent competition* beyond physical strength and body structure.

So, no, I don't think he has enough talent as well. And I reiterate that your logic about "oh he lacks only in the mental aspect of it" as pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

Spursfanfromafar
08-01-2013, 10:06 PM
So a 7 footer having handles and draining 3's isn't talented? OK. There's maybe 20 7 footers in the WORLD that have the coordination Richards does. That's huge.

I think even the ungainly Manute Bol once used to score threes on bunches. That didn't make him a talented shooter. And I disagree that Richards can "drain threes". He can take them once in a while against uncoordinated and un-interested defenses. Thats not acceptable opposition.

Bill_Brasky
08-01-2013, 10:09 PM
I think even the ungainly Manute Bol once used to score threes on bunches. That didn't make him a talented shooter. And I disagree that Richards can "drain threes". He can take them once in a while against uncoordinated and un-interested defenses. Thats not acceptable opposition.

Manute Bol? Really?

Richards has talent dude. Deny it all you want, but it's true. He's just wasting it because he's either dumb, lazy, or a little bit of both.

Bill_Brasky
08-01-2013, 10:11 PM
And if the Spurs don't think he has talent why do they keep giving him a shot every summer? Are you really gonna say that their evaluation of talent isn't credible? Because that would be dumb.

RD2191
08-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I don't see how he could be any worse than Bonner. It's beyond me how the fuck Bonner is still somehow on this team or in the NBA.

Bill_Brasky
08-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I don't see how he could be any worse than Bonner. It's beyond me how the fuck Bonner is still somehow on this team or in the NBA.

The mental aspect of sports is the most overlooked. Some people have it between the ears and others don't.

Bonner right now is way better than anybody probably thought he could ever be. He's not much for talent but working his ass off and perfecting his shot is what has kept him around.

RD2191
08-01-2013, 10:17 PM
The mental aspect of sports is the most overlooked. Some people have it between the ears and other don't.
This is true.

Chinook
08-01-2013, 10:39 PM
So you are saying that physical tools = constituting talent?

No. I would include all of that - basketball IQ, instinct, basketball ability - posting up, scoring, passing, all at an acceptable level as talent. From what we have seen so far, Richards has little of it to *sustain himself against decent competition* beyond physical strength and body structure.

So, no, I don't think he has enough talent as well. And I reiterate that your logic about "oh he lacks only in the mental aspect of it" as pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

I like you again criticized the fact that I think his biggest problem is the mental aspect of the game and then proceeded to list mental aspects as half of his issues. The other half are issues that he periodically shows he has no issue with. I don't think anyone who's watched Richards thinks his problem is that he can't score well enough. He also made a couple of good passes (and only one bad one) in this summer league, so I don't get why you list that as an issue.

I understand that you think that basketball IQ can be considered a talent. As was said by Bill in this thread, it is a very overlooked aspect of the game. But that doesn't make it correct to say, "He doesn't have basketball IQ or instincts; therefore, he's not talented," which is what you're arguing. "Basketball ability" is just an empty phrase in your post, since that encompasses all of the skills needed to play basketball (both physically and mentally). Thus, he has some basketball ability, and he's missing some.

He's a good shooter, handler and passer. He's not a good basketball player. Perhaps he can become that with good training, but that's not horribly likely. He's talented. He may not have all the talent he needs to have an NBA future, but he has more talent than a good number of players who are in the league right now.

Obstructed_View
08-02-2013, 04:36 AM
You guys need to take a time out and agree on the definition of "talent" before you continue. Otherwise you're just talking past each other.

Also, please stop saying dead rubber.

Put Matt Bonner's work ethic and hustle into Ryan Richards' body and you have a guy who makes an all-star game.

DrSteffo
08-02-2013, 05:26 AM
The distinction between mental and physical abilities (dualism) is old fashioned (see for example Damasio for a modern view of how the brain interacts with the body. When you shoot the ball your brain has to process visual information, interpret that information and compare it to stored mental representations, process spatial relations, send signals to move body parts, process sensory input from your hands, react to changes in the environment and so on. Whatever you do as a basketball player it is always both mental and physical. To evaluate talent and exclude mental processes would be quite silly and impossible once you look at actual basketball skills. The organism named Ryan Richards is not that great at playing basketball. Can he improve? Yes sure but it doesn't seem likely that it will be his priority in life.

Obstructed_View
08-02-2013, 05:30 AM
It seems to be related to will and effort far more than to natural ability and developed skills.

Chinook
08-02-2013, 05:41 AM
The distinction between mental and physical abilities (dualism) is old fashioned (see for example Damasio for a modern view of how the brain interacts with the body. When you shoot the ball your brain has to process visual information, interpret that information and compare it to stored mental representations, process spatial relations, send signals to move body parts, process sensory input from your hands, react to changes in the environment and so on. Whatever you do as a basketball player it is always both mental and physical. To evaluate talent and exclude mental processes would be quite silly and impossible once you look at actual basketball skills. The organism named Ryan Richards is not that great at playing basketball. Can he improve? Yes sure but it doesn't seem likely that it will be his priority in life.

Obviously. No one is really thinking that physical skills don't involve the brain. There's a difference, though, between "physical" skills like shooting and handling, and "mental" skills like basketball IQ and court awareness. That's why I originally used a talent/intangibles dichotomy. A player can certainly have the brain power to coordinate muscles correctly enough to shoot, pass, dribble and the like while also lacking the fundamental higher understanding of how basketball works and more importantly failing to internalize the strategic and intellectual parts of the game to the extent needed to maintain enough fluidity to be a serviceable player.

DrSteffo
08-02-2013, 05:44 AM
It seems to be related to will and effort far more than to natural ability and developed skills.

Agreed but also what some people call basketball IQ which might be partly natural (see my post above) and partly developed.

DrSteffo
08-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Obviously. No one is really thinking that physical skills don't involve the brain. There's a difference, though, between "physical" skills like shooting and handling, and "mental" skills like basketball IQ and court awareness. That's why I originally used a talent/intangibles dichotomy. A player can certainly have the brain power to coordinate muscles correctly enough to shoot, pass, dribble and the like while also lacking the fundamental higher understanding of how basketball works and more importantly failing to internalize the strategic and intellectual parts of the game to the extent needed to maintain enough fluidity to be a serviceable player.

I don't see shooting as a "physical skill" since it depends on what the brain does. Spatial ability is a fundamental aspect of shooting and is partly natural and partly developed. It is the brain that send signals to the arms and hands and it is the brain which tries to decide the trajectory and so on.

I agree that it is possible to separate beween "higher level" and "lower level" mental abilites. What many people fail to realise is that those "lower level" mental abilities are crucial and even if they look easy they are not easy to master. If our brains would send perfect signals to our body and get precise information back from the body at super-speed we would all be great shooters and ball handlers (if we have arms and hands). Another thing is that lower level abilities interact with higher level abilities. Court awareness is a good example. Attention and perception (low level skills) are crucial for court awareness. The body is of course also important since wee see with our eyes and with our brain.

Lincolnkreifels
08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
The guy has overwhelming athletic talent. That is a no brainer. Name me another 7 footer with handles, range, and ups like ryan richards.. the closest I can think of is Lamarcus Aldridge, but I think he's only 6'11.
Richards was born with the talent and ability to do those things and the rest of his game can be fixed by forming new habits and instincts. Basketball iq is largely supported by instincts and skills are supported by instincts and muscle memory. You can't teach a 7 footer to handle the ball or shoot the 3, but with experience and practice he can most certainly teach himself how to adjust to the pace and style of the nba.

DrSteffo
08-02-2013, 11:49 AM
i think that Ryan Richards has an nba body. His brain/body organism does not interact with a basketball environment all that well however. He could learn but will he put enough effort into it? It doesn't seem like it.

exstatic
08-02-2013, 07:02 PM
The guy has overwhelming athletic talent. That is a no brainer. Name me another 7 footer with handles, range, and ups like ryan richards.. the closest I can think of is Lamarcus Aldridge, but I think he's only 6'11.
Richards was born with the talent and ability to do those things and the rest of his game can be fixed by forming new habits and instincts. Basketball iq is largely supported by instincts and skills are supported by instincts and muscle memory. You can't teach a 7 footer to handle the ball or shoot the 3, but with experience and practice he can most certainly teach himself how to adjust to the pace and style of the nba.

The breakdown lanes of the NBA highway are littered with dudes like this.

Lincolnkreifels
08-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I just wanna see footage of a guy with his size, athleticism, and stroke... that's it

exstatic
08-02-2013, 09:03 PM
I just wanna see footage of a guy with his size, athleticism, and stroke... that's it

All you've seen of him is footage, probably YouTube clips. Those are edited to only show the good shit, not him drifting aimlessly through large parts of games.

You've been living in a dreamworld.

Libri
08-02-2013, 11:02 PM
All you've seen of him is footage, probably YouTube clips. Those are edited to only show the good shit, not him drifting aimlessly through large parts of games.

Bonner looks like a hall of famer on YouTube. :lol

Lincolnkreifels
08-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Please, I know what a mixtape is. I've also watched him in games and am fully aware of his downfalls. I'm talking about his range, athleticism, and size. Find me a mixtape or anything of anyone who is better or the equivalent in each of those categories. Please.

exstatic
08-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Please, I know what a mixtape is. I've also watched him in games and am fully aware of his downfalls. I'm talking about his range, athleticism, and size. Find me a mixtape or anything of anyone who is better or the equivalent in each of those categories. Please.

You say you know the limitations of mixtapes, yet that's all you want to see of this mythical "other" player. smh.

xmas1997
08-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Spurs would be wise to invest a bit more in Richards by getting him a full time tutor to teach him HOW to play basketball.

ChumpDumper
08-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Spurs would be wise to invest a bit more in Richards by getting him a full time tutor to teach him HOW to play basketball.They did that a couple of summers ago.

Apparently it didn't take.

There is the tiniest chance, if his contract allows, that he could leave his team sometime during the season and join the Toros when they have the first pick of new D-League signings. It's a longshot, but for some reason Richards hasn't forced the Spurs' hand by signing his tender and putting himself on a training camp roster.

Bruno
08-03-2013, 01:22 PM
If Richards was seriously interested in being a better basketball player, he wouldn't go to Dubai to play.

Lincolnkreifels
08-03-2013, 01:58 PM
You say you know the limitations of mixtapes, yet that's all you want to see of this mythical "other" player. smh.

haha. The only attributes i've defined of his are entirely meaningless until he is challenged consistently and accepts it. The only myth is your perception of my opinion. You can't assume that because I've chosen not to mention what you've found to be your solution that I don't understand your point of view. that's aight though.