PDA

View Full Version : Should a company tip on a $175 order at a food truck.

InRareForm
07-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Employee calls out the company for being cheap and then gets fired.

They should have tipped... a big order is a lot of work and a tip is warranted.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/brendan-oconnor_n_3682637.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=Food

CosmicCowboy
07-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Do you tip for a hamburger at McDonalds? If you ordered $170 worth of food at McDonalds would you tip?

InRareForm
07-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Theres no tip jars put out at McDonald's.

leemajors
07-31-2013, 01:21 PM
shoulda tipped.

mrsmaalox
07-31-2013, 01:28 PM
$175 is a huge order and a lot of work for a food truck; a tip would have been nice. But $175 is also probably the most money that food truck ever made on one order. It's just really bad form to call out a paying customer like that and his employer was right to fire him because he represented them in an unflattering way.

UZER
07-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Whats with all the tip jars everywhere now? Was at a Subway the other day and saw a tip cup at the register. Saw another at jack in the box. This is getting out of hand.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-31-2013, 02:05 PM
I've never tipped at a food truck and I probably wouldn't have here. There's plenty of little details or things that would cause me to change that vote (if it was a rush job, they cut the per order prices because of the volume, if the client had used the vendor before) I'm also curious about the method of payment. If it was a situation where someone might of put it on their personal credit card which the company would then reimburse them for later that makes a big difference. Some places won't reimburse on gratuity, in which case you'd be asking one person to eat the cost of tipping on an order for however many people (or try to recoup their cost from their coworkers individually).

So if someone could convene a hearing with the involved parties so I can get some answers I will respond with a more definitive yes or no.

ChumpDumper
07-31-2013, 02:07 PM
Some real cheapskates here.

oh crap
07-31-2013, 02:16 PM
employee deserved to be fired, tbh.

Creepn
07-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Whats with all the tip jars everywhere now? Was at a Subway the other day and saw a tip cup at the register. Saw another at jack in the box. This is getting out of hand.

Saw a tip jar at the cashier at Freebirds. You get a tip for taking my cash at the register?

InRareForm
07-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Saw a tip jar at the cashier at Freebirds. You get a tip for taking my cash at the register?

it's most likely shared. ala Starbucks.

mrsmaalox
07-31-2013, 02:46 PM
But no one ever seems to have a problem tipping a bartender for taking their cash at the register ;)

ChumpDumper
07-31-2013, 02:49 PM
I am fine with the employee's being fired however. Actions have consequences.

InRareForm
07-31-2013, 02:52 PM
But no one ever seems to have a problem tipping a bartender for taking their cash at the register ;)

true. lol. Yes bartending is tough at times. But they also have easy chores as well, opening a bottle of bud light. Easy 1 dollar tip right there. Scooping some fries is more labor than that :lol

Creepn
07-31-2013, 02:53 PM
it's most likely shared. ala Starbucks.

I see. But wouldn't that be equal for you to tip the cooks and chefs at other establishments such as McDonalds or a Taco Bell?

CosmicCowboy
07-31-2013, 02:58 PM

Tipping bartenders is a bribe, not a tip. I bribe bartenders really well so they remember me the next time, especially on those long bars where they can pick and choose whose order they take next. it's funny as shit when they look right through the guy jumping up and down waving his hand and ask me what I want...:lol

ohmwrecker
07-31-2013, 03:09 PM
I see. But wouldn't that be equal for you to tip the cooks and chefs at other establishments such as McDonalds or a Taco Bell?

There are no tip jars at McDonald's and Taco Bell, most likely because the companies allow it. When you you tip a server at a restaurant, most of the time the server is giving a percentage to bartenders, cooks, hosts etc. Policies vary. Servers make close to nothing (after taxes) hourly so, tips are what they live on. Not tipping, in most situations, is inexcuseable. If you can't afford to tip, you shouldn't be going out. People in the service industry are hard working folks that are directly contributing to the economic well being of the country. People who don't tip are either clueless and cheap, or entitled and privileged.

UZER
07-31-2013, 03:13 PM

exactly. Where does the tipping stop? Should I start tipping janitors when they walk out of the restroom as I'm walking in? Should I tip the cashier at the grocery store for ringing up my groceries? Do I tip myself at the self check-out?

Actually, it might help to have one at the grocery store register so they are more likely to have a smile on their face instead of hating me for them working there.

Spur|n|Austin
07-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Some real cheapskates here.

No joke - if I get good service that makes me happy and there is a tip jar, I tip. I'm sure most of us here all make more than these people working for tips, so sparing a dollar or two shouldn't be such a big deal.

ohmwrecker
07-31-2013, 03:17 PM
exactly. Where does the tipping stop? Should I start tipping janitors when they walk out of the restroom as I'm walking in? Should I tip the cashier at the grocery store for ringing up my groceries? Do I tip myself at the self check-out?

Actually, it might help to have one at the grocery store register so they are more likely to have a smile on their face instead of hating me for them working there.

That's dumb. There are places where employees are earning a higher hourly wage that precludes tipping. Do you see a tip jar at the grocery store? Is there a tip line one your credit card receipt? Then . . . don't tip.

It's hard to believe people are this stupid, but I'm not surprised tbh.

UZER
07-31-2013, 03:19 PM
That's dumb. There are places where employees are earning a higher hourly wage that precludes tipping. Do you see a tip jar at the grocery store? Is there a tip line one your credit card receipt? Then . . . don't tip.

Whats stupid is you taking that post seriously, but I'm not surprised tbh.

leemajors
07-31-2013, 03:19 PM

I would guess he's just never worked in the service industry.

UZER
07-31-2013, 03:25 PM
But I got a serious question for you ohm...

How bout when restaurants have a tip line when you use a credit card for you to leave a something for your waiter (understood), but also have that same line when you go through the drive through? Do you tip?

not a trap question, just curious.

ohmwrecker
07-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Whats stupid is you taking that post seriously, but I'm not surprised tbh.

It must be that the level of subtlety in your sarcasm is so indeterminate that it appears non-existent.

ohmwrecker
07-31-2013, 03:35 PM
But I got a serious question for you ohm...

How bout when restaurants have a tip line when you use a credit card for you to leave a something for your waiter (understood), but also have that same line when you go through the drive through? Do you tip?

not a trap question, just curious.

I can't recall seeing a tip line on a credit card receipt at a drive-thru tbh. It really depends on the establishment and what that employee is doing (cooking fresh, quality food, or handing me re-heated garbage in a bag), but I generally tip in most situations. I don't eat a lot of fast food though.

cantthinkofanything
07-31-2013, 03:45 PM
I can't recall seeing a tip line on a credit card receipt at a drive-thru tbh. It really depends on the establishment and what that employee is doing (cooking fresh, quality food, or handing me re-heated garbage in a bag), but I generally tip in most situations. I don't eat a lot of fast food though.

I've seen the tip line at fast food places. And some of them were reasonably big franchises. And it sucks because you can't leave it blank because some wiseass will fill it in for you after the fact. So then you have to totally look like an ass and scratch through the tip section.

I've often wondered what would happen if you put a negative tip in and then made the final line lower than the original charge. Or what would happen if you wiped a booger on it.

JudynTX
07-31-2013, 03:46 PM

And don't they try to make you look guilty as fuck for not throwing a tip in them? GTFOOH The only people I tip are bartenders, waiters/waitresses and my hairdresser. Oh and my nail girl.

JudynTX
07-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Oh and the pizza guy too. :lol

Wild Cobra
07-31-2013, 03:48 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/brendan-oconnor_n_3682637.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=Food

Warranted or not, it was the method of his complaint that rightfully got him fired.

CosmicCowboy
07-31-2013, 03:53 PM
I totally get tipping for food service above and beyond food preparation, but the price on the menu is supposed to be all inclusive for prepared food at the window. When I park under the awning at the Sonic I tip the girl for bringing it out to me. When I do the drive through I don't tip. Just the way I see it.

Creepn
07-31-2013, 03:57 PM
I totally get tipping for food service above and beyond food preparation, but the price on the menu is supposed to be all inclusive for prepared food at the window. When I park under the awning at the Sonic I tip the girl for bringing it out to me. When I do the drive through I don't tip. Just the way I see it.

Well then if that is the case, then one shouldn't feel guilty about the tip jar.

Wild Cobra
07-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Well then if that is the case, then one shouldn't feel guilty about the tip jar.

You shouldn't feel guilty for not tipping. However, I tip. These people take these low wage jobs knowing they can get tipped. Expected or not, it is part of their income.

cantthinkofanything
07-31-2013, 04:05 PM
You shouldn't feel guilty for not tipping. However, I tip. These people take these low wage jobs knowing they can get tipped. Expected or not, it is part of their income.

Steve Buscemi video in 3...2...1

Suspect
07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
I used to work at starbucks and yeah the tips are shared, but we didnt get paid much. Not saying we deserve it cause at first I refuse to even take the tips. Once I stopped working 2 jobs I did lol

SpursRock20
07-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Steve Buscemi video in 3...2...1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

CosmicCowboy
07-31-2013, 04:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

Awesome fucking movie.

cantthinkofanything
07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Awesome fucking movie.

wtf. That's what's wayyyy wrong with the country. Any move with the "f" word in it is now cool. Regardless of the content. Hey...if you cuss, you're cool.

DPG21920
07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
It's so funny too in most cases during this type of argument that people say "well I shouldn't be paying their wages!" when it's all semantics. If they didn't allow for tipping and paid their employee's more, they would simply up their prices accordingly and you would be paying for it.

I for one tip pretty well unless it's terrible service (even then I don't stiff, just tip under 20%), but would rather see places just pay people better wages and charge that extra 20% for my food to make up for it. Same difference to me.

Sportcamper
07-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Back...By popular demand...cantthinkofanything....:lol

cantthinkofanything
07-31-2013, 05:02 PM
It's so funny too in most cases during this type of argument that people say "well I shouldn't be paying their wages!" when it's all semantics. If they didn't allow for tipping and paid their employee's more, they would simply up their prices accordingly and you would be paying for it.

I for one tip pretty well unless it's terrible service (even then I don't stiff, just tip under 20%), but would rather see places just pay people better wages and charge that extra 20% for my food to make up for it. Same difference to me.

Honestly, when I'm thinking of the tip, I always can justify giving a few extra $ to the server. I end up deciding that a few extra dollars isn't going to make much of a difference to me but may help them out somewhat. Plus I end up looking cooler than if I gave them less than 20%.

CosmicCowboy
07-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Service has to be horrible for me to tip less than 20%. I usually round up to more than 20%.

DPG21920
07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Yup. Basically, even if you are slow and forgetful, I will tip 20%. If you have a personality, you get more (especially on lower bills). If you are rude or just really, really bad, 10% (I have never had someone so bad that I refused to tip them).

cantthinkofanything
07-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Yup. Basically, even if you are slow and forgetful, I will tip 20%. If you have a personality, you get more (especially on lower bills). If you are rude or just really, really bad, 10% (I have never had someone so bad that I refused to tip them).

Plus I'll never tip less than $5 unless I'm getting a drink. If my bill is $10, I'm still giving $5 because they're putting out the same effort.

baseline bum
07-31-2013, 05:21 PM
When I see a tip jar I immediately go into black man mode. Only people who deserve tips are waiters/waitresses, pizza delivery nigs, and enthusiastic hookers tbh.

baseline bum
07-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Tipping bartenders is a bribe, not a tip. I bribe bartenders really well so they remember me the next time, especially on those long bars where they can pick and choose whose order they take next. it's funny as shit when they look right through the guy jumping up and down waving his hand and ask me what I want...:lol

Exactly. :lol

Das Texan
07-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Service has to be horrible for me to tip less than 20%. I usually round up to more than 20%.

yup.

i think i tipped about 8% about 6 months ago, because it really was that bad. first time in about 3 years i didnt tip at least 15%.

Das Texan
07-31-2013, 06:05 PM

oh most definitely. though there was that one time at that piece of shit boston pub over on 1604/huebner when i walked in to get a drink, waited 10 minutes, told the bartender to go fuck himself because he was an asshole, would never come back because he wouldnt get me my beer, chugged my beer and walked out.

nothing beats bribing bartenders to actually get a fucking drink that doesnt suck in a reasonable amount of time.

UZER
07-31-2013, 06:47 PM
I've seen the tip line at fast food places. And some of them were reasonably big franchises. And it sucks because you can't leave it blank because some wiseass will fill it in for you after the fact. So then you have to totally look like an ass and scratch through the tip section.

I've often wondered what would happen if you put a negative tip in and then made the final line lower than the original charge. Or what would happen if you wiped a booger on it.

yeah happened to me once. Left the tip line blank at the drive thru, then saw an extra charge of $7 online. This was just a fast food burger joint too. Ever since then, I line through it and write the same amount as the total.
I tip really well at restaurants where there are waiters. The service has to be really bad for me to leave a bad tip, and even then, I give them the benefit of the doubt with a fair tip, just not a great tip.

But ohm, yeah there are some places now that have tip lines on the receipt to sign at the drive thru, and the person working the drive thru always gives you that look for not tipping.

leemajors
07-31-2013, 06:55 PM

Same here.

At places like the Alamo, the server has to declare 15% of their total sales (It was this much ~5 years ago) paid out as cash, which the management then divides between the runner staff and the kitchen. It's nice that it can keep the IRS off your back as a server, but if you have a bad night with a bunch of bad tippers it can be brutal.

leemajors
07-31-2013, 06:55 PM
yeah happened to me once. Left the tip line blank at the drive thru, then saw an extra charge of $7 online. This was just a fast food burger joint too. Ever since then, I line through it and write the same amount as the total.
I tip really well at restaurants where there are waiters. The service has to be really bad for me to leave a bad tip, and even then, I give them the benefit of the doubt with a fair tip, just not a great tip.

But ohm, yeah there are some places now that have tip lines on the receipt to sign at the drive thru, and the person working the drive thru always gives you that look for not tipping.

Good reason to keep your receipts.

UZER
07-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Good reason to keep your receipts.

Yup. I always do for that exact reason. I called them to dispute it and they took it off. A buck or two, i would have let it slide as my carelessness, but damn $7 on a $15 food purchase? They got greedy.

CuckingFunt
07-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Good bartenders are gods among men. I tip, I don't bribe, them well, and I do so happily.

Leetonidas
07-31-2013, 08:34 PM
I work at a restaurant and every Thursday this local business puts in the same order for about 30 people, which amounts to 200+ dollars, and when they come to pick it up, they never tip, which pisses me off. I personally don't have to put the order together but I watch the underlings do it and it's not an easy task, you should tip someone for making such a massive fucking order and having it ready in the time that you asked for (15 minutes after the store opens) when the store is already busy as fuck in the front. Just sayin.

And yeah most places have the tip jar shared between the regular hourly employees because they make shit wages anyway and dividing between like 6-7 people it's only a couple bucks for each person so it's not like they're making shit tons of cash off of tips at these places

ohmwrecker
07-31-2013, 08:36 PM
Also, you should tip cash whenever possible.

baseline bum
07-31-2013, 08:39 PM
LOL paying more than menu price for someone just making your order.

mrsmaalox
07-31-2013, 08:55 PM
I bribe bartenders with my charm and low cut tops---I tip them with cash for a drink well done :D

marini martini
07-31-2013, 09:10 PM
I bribe bartenders with my charm and low cut tops---I tip them with cash for a drink well done :D

word! :toast

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-31-2013, 09:22 PM

This. In Australia they pay their waiters/waitresses $20+ an hour without a tip and the menu price is simply more expensive. It's the same result either way, not tipping is just being a cheap asshole. These people rely on tips to pay the bills. If you can't afford to tip then simply don't go out to dinner.

The OP is a tough situation since I'd never order $170 worth of food at a place like that.

Venti Quattro
07-31-2013, 09:22 PM
If they have an added service charge to your bill, absolutely don't tip ........ well unless you have a shit ton of money

jack sommerset
07-31-2013, 09:43 PM
If there is a tip jar I usually leave something to show them I appreciate their work. God bless

InRareForm
07-31-2013, 09:58 PM
I.even tip.at carry out If its great service

exstatic
07-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Young man needs to learn patience. Dirtbags usually repeat, and they'd get some very "special" milkshakes next time.

Cheap ass Wall Streeters.

tlongII
07-31-2013, 11:03 PM
I almost always tip food trucks. You're getting a good deal so why not?

oh crap
07-31-2013, 11:52 PM
i always tip according to service.

FkLA
08-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I can understand not tipping on something like that if its just one milkshake or one grilled cheese sandwich, but when its $170 worth of it youre definitely taking alot of the guys time...hes giving you priority over other customers that mightve tipped him.

Do any of yall niggas tip the little taco trucks in SA? I always do tbh. :lol

Wild Cobra
08-02-2013, 02:58 AM
I never eat at those rolling fast food joints. I worry about the health conditions if such cramped quarters.

InRareForm
08-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Food trucks are graded by Health Departments too.

Wild Cobra
08-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Food trucks are graded by Health Departments too.
So?

They don't have the same degree of running water and other things that fixed sites do.

Call it a hangup of mine if you like, but I am too leery of them.

leemajors
08-02-2013, 07:00 AM
So?

They don't have the same degree of running water and other things that fixed sites do.

I'm sure if has nothing to do with xenophobia

tlongII
08-02-2013, 10:39 AM
So?

I love them. We have a truck called Taco King that comes to where I work every Wednesday and I always eat lunch there. It is The Bomb!

UZER
08-02-2013, 10:46 AM
I love them. We have a truck called Taco King that comes to where I work every Wednesday and I always eat lunch there. It is The Bomb!

Back in the day, uses to get truck tacos. Good stuff. The lemonade was the best!

Chief Brody
08-02-2013, 11:11 AM
There's this old Cuban lady with a bomb-ass hotdog/sausage stand across the street from UM Hospital. Chorizo, papitas, and mustard. Throw in a sunkist and it's $3. I give her $5 every time.

InRareForm
08-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Roaminghunger.com is a great site to find trucks on the daily In Your town

Sportcamper
08-02-2013, 11:34 AM
We had two ladies who ran a coffee truck at my last job site…Best chicken soup, meatball soup, grilled cheese samiches and breakfast burritos on the planet…Of course we tipped them…

Wild Cobra
08-02-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm sure if has nothing to do with xenophobia

LOL...

Plenty of them here in the Portland area are whites.

Thebesteva
08-02-2013, 05:26 PM

Sooner or later they will start calling people out by their full names, so I'm glad to see the employee get fired. Imagine leaving a so-so tip at a restaurant and being called out on it via twitter.

CuckingFunt
08-02-2013, 08:31 PM
"Master Race Baiter leemajors" would have been better. Two puns, one stone.

Wild Cobra
08-02-2013, 10:08 PM
"Master Race Baiter leemajors" would have been better. Two puns, one stone.

LOL...

Something similar did cross my mind. I'd be lying to deny it.

I think I reserve the "master" title for Chump. I may have used it for someone else, but I don't recall doing so.

Kool Bob Love
08-02-2013, 10:23 PM
How much do yall tip the mailman?

And the garbageman?

exstatic
08-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Sooner or later they will start calling people out by their full names, so I'm glad to see the employee get fired. Imagine leaving a so-so tip at a restaurant and being called out on it via twitter.

He didn't call them out for leaving a "so so tip". They left no tip at all.

Thebesteva
08-02-2013, 10:36 PM
He didn't call them out for leaving a "so so tip". They left no tip at all.

You cant do that man, I understand the morals but from a business perspective thats HORRIBLE. If I own a company and my employee calls out people thats bad for business. No one will order from that truck company for a while.

leemajors
08-02-2013, 10:54 PM
You cant do that man, I understand the morals but from a business perspective thats HORRIBLE. If I own a company and my employee calls out people thats bad for business. No one will order from that truck company for a while.

:lol people will go there just to see what's up, and I bet a large portion of them will leave good tips as well

exstatic
08-02-2013, 10:59 PM

That company is lucky he worked for the owner of the truck and COULD be fired. If it had been owner operated, he could have scoffed them FOREVER. Just a word to the wise: most food trucks ARE owner operated, and most of them are on Twitter to give out their location on a daily basis. Don't fuck with them.

ChumpDumper
08-03-2013, 03:44 AM
What the fuck is a degree of running water?

Chomag
08-03-2013, 10:53 AM
I always tip at least $1 per order for self service/carry out places but I never tip for fast food or Starbucks.